Umpire Nigel Llong - How do you rate him?

1137moiz

T20I Debutant
Runs
This is one of the less-known umpires on the circuit but he is a class act. I dunno where he is nowadays, but I have yet to see the bloke give a howler

Kamran got two howlers in that series: one courtesy Llong and the other courtesy Gould.

he was well scoring in both matches when he was given out, really made a big difference

Made a bad mistake in today's IPL game.

Nehra bowls it leg side to Kohli, it clips Kohli's pad but Long signals a wide. Kohli then indicates to Long that it hit the pad and the square leg umpire does the same but Long refuses to change his decision despite the cricketing laws allowing him to do so.

Mark Butcher on ITV: "there are a few big egos in world cricket - one of them is KP and another Nigel Long". lol I take it those two have some history between them.

Nehra bowls it leg side to Kohli, it clips Kohli's pad but Long signals a wide. Kohli then indicates to Long that it hit the pad and the square leg umpire does the same but Long refuses to change his decision despite the cricketing laws allowing him to do so.

Mark Butcher on ITV: "there are a few big egos in world cricket - one of them is KP and another Nigel Long". lol I take it those two have some history between them.

Saw that and thought it was a genuinely good 'Fair play' moment from Kohli, but for some inexplicable reason Llong didn't change his decision.

Also, he resembles Alan from Two and a half men.

Yeah saw that. Saying that everyone makes mistakes. Mind you he made a howler when he gave Gambhir out in a earlier game when KKR played.

Still remember that shocking decision he gave against Maqsood in the Bangladesh game during the Asia Cup. There was daylight between bat and ball but Long got sucked in by that lunatic keeper who takes strong appealing to a completely new level

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RQDKhMbHeaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

I think you can excuse an umpire for making a mistake in a domestic competition. Call it Forgive the Umpires moment sponsored by McDonalds.

LoL, this guy is absolutely HORRIBLE...

Specially in the World Cup and Asia Cup, he was terrible.

Umpiring really has gone down in recent times. This is exactly why at least some form of DRS is needed more than ever.

I have the unfortunate pleasure of knowing him fairly well and he is a horrible bloke.

Butcher was speaking for a lot of people.

Has very negative views of Pakistani players in general too. I've reminded him he's not fit to tie their boots

An absolute tool of the highest order, wouldn't want this clown umpiring in our club games.

I have the unfortunate pleasure of knowing him fairly well and he is a horrible bloke.

Butcher was speaking for a lot of people.

Has very negative views of Pakistani players in general too. I've reminded him he's not fit to tie their boots

Huh?

Saying stuff like that and without proof doesn't look good.

In the same match today, he made another huge error when he adjudged Du Plessis not out when Faf had clearly gloved it. Had an awful game in general.

He is a great umpire! Any mistakes he makes are really the fault of the other umpire for putting pressure on Nigel to make the wrong decisions.

I remember a plumb LBW Jadeja he didnt give in the India-Pak Asia Cup match it was pathetic and when Hafeez was asking him to explain his decision he just acted like a self centred arrogant idiot

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I thought this was an appreciation thread but it has turned into something very different now

What I have seen he comes as a stuck up and arrogant. Again this is just his body he may very well be a very nice person.
Very average umpire not eve top 10 currently.

I thought this was an appreciation thread but it has turned into something very different now

What I have seen he comes as a stuck up and arrogant. Again this is just his body he may very well be a very nice person.
Very average umpire not eve top 10 currently.

Who are in the top 10?

He is just an average umpire trying to make a living in a world of increased scrutiny.

Nothing special. Could do without having to see his smug face when he gives us a stinker though.

Huh?

Saying stuff like that and without proof doesn't look good.

I don't owe you proof for anything Sherlock....

I am not accusing or making allegations

Voicing my opinion which I believe is a widely held one that he is a moron and far too big for his boots.

As for what he says about Pakistani players who on here has had any conversations with him?
Id rather not reveal but it's a very prejudiced view.

Regarding how I know him please look at his background as to what he did before umpiring, and as a result I have had the unfortunate pleasure of crossing paths on a few occasions.

I don't owe you proof for anything Sherlock....

I am not accusing or making allegations

Voicing my opinion which I believe is a widely held one that he is a moron and far too big for his boots.

As for what he says about Pakistani players who on here has had any conversations with him?
Id rather not reveal but it's a very prejudiced view.

Regarding how I know him please look at his background as to what he did before umpiring, and as a result I have had the unfortunate pleasure of crossing paths on a few occasions.

He looks like he is a tool.

Can you please give more details about your encounter?

The curiosity is killing me.

Please...pretty please.

He looks like he is a tool.

Can you please give more details about your encounter?

The curiosity is killing me.

Please...pretty please.

I know Nigel extremely well from the club circuit... He is one of the most arrogant guys you will come across.

A ridiculously good club record but a mediocre county player...

One or 2 big double hundreds at club level and he's had this air of swagger like he was the second coming of Vivian Richards.

With regards to his views on Pakistanis... He once said to me that shoaib akhtar is a ball tampering chucker...really strong dislike of shoaib in particular which I find ironic now as he wouldn't have the guts to no ball him.

In general when Pakistanis were mentioned he was pretty quick to give the usual ball tampering fixing chucking "banter" . This was obviously before he became a professional umpire.

On a personal level he's a nice enough guy and polite but his arrogance is very strong and I have no issues with arrogant people but in context he seems to forget he's a nobody.

Haven't seen him for a number of years but it's obvious that the umpiring has only made it worse.

Fair play though he's made a career out of it.

^ i get what you mean though, he always has an air of smugness around him, when he gives a howler he glares at the wrong party as if to say "how dare you object to me"

I know Nigel extremely well from the club circuit... He is one of the most arrogant guys you will come across.

A ridiculously good club record but a mediocre county player...

One or 2 big double hundreds at club level and he's had this air of swagger like he was the second coming of Vivian Richards.

With regards to his views on Pakistanis... He once said to me that shoaib akhtar is a ball tampering chucker...really strong dislike of shoaib in particular which I find ironic now as he wouldn't have the guts to no ball him.

In general when Pakistanis were mentioned he was pretty quick to give the usual ball tampering fixing chucking "banter" . This was obviously before he became a professional umpire.

On a personal level he's a nice enough guy and polite but his arrogance is very strong and I have no issues with arrogant people but in context he seems to forget he's a nobody.

Haven't seen him for a number of years but it's obvious that the umpiring has only made it worse.

Fair play though he's made a career out of it.

Thanks for the brilliant story.

Much appreciated bud.

His arrogance is so crazy.

Last edited:
"1.3
UT Yadav to Saha, no run, appeal for a caught behind! Another good delivery by Umesh, this was pitched up and straightening and Saha was pushing at it, confident appeal, replays indicated a sound, Llong not convinced, lucky Saha, he looked back as well"

Nigel Llong the worst empire

He has been the worst empire for a long period. It's getting ridiculous now.

That wasn't a poor decision. It looked to be going down the leg side and most umpires would have given it not out. This is where you have DRS to help you out.

He is very arrogant. He has the most vexed face when he has to reverse a decision. As if DRS is wrong and his decision is correct even when there is video evidence lol. He is also rude to players.

One of the worst umpiring performances in recent memory. About 10 or so overturned decisions over the course of 3 innings. Some of them proper howlers

Some shocking decisions in this Test. Overall I think he tries to be a fair man so I can forgive him

Extremely bad umpire. Not the first time he has given howlers.

Should be kicked out of elite panel.

New World Record by Nigel Long

5 Decision were over turned.... consider umpire have "umpire call" margin

time for accountability I'm surprised no dare to speak up... ONE game 5 wrong calls, Saj can twit about it.. so world knows and we make umpire accountable.

Overall a good umpire.

Typical Pakistani over reaction to call somebody horrible when they are going through a very small rough patch. Put Aleem Dar in his place and see the same being called a minor blip.

pbly one of the worst performances ive seen in a long time. havnt ever seen him do that badly before, so might put it down to a bad game.

Back