Urgent Help On Choosing A Bat!

Assassin7

Debutant
Runs
Salaam. I was wondering if I could get some help choosing a cricket bat
Budget is £100 pushing £120 top. I bat down the order and play aggressively so maybe a heavy bat would be good with a large number of grains and a thick edge? I do not care about model or make or appearance HOWEVER i have always fancied a Gray Nicholls but im not too fussed.
I have never physically bought a bat myself always through an older sibling/relative from Pakistan.
My friend is selling a CA Power for £50, but im thinking i put in an extra £50 or so pounds and get a better bat.
Help is much appreciated as the season starts this weekend and i have no bat! :)
:fawad

Last edited:
you can get preety good bats for that price i think you can get a GN oblivion for that price or you can look at some **** bats

you can get preety good bats for that price i think you can get a GN oblivion for that price or you can look at some **** bats
yah lol, oblivion is f**king awesome! my friend let me use his gn oblivion LE in a MATCH! it was amazing, massive profile and edges but still maintains a lovely pickup and lovely sweet spot :) I think i got 44 of 47 balls then got bowled :p ( T20 Match )

Budget is £100 pushing £120 top. I bat down the order and play aggressively so maybe a heavy bat would be good with a large number of grains and a thick edge? I do not care about model or make or appearance HOWEVER i have always fancied a Gray Nicholls but im not too fussed.
I have never physically bought a bat myself always through an older sibling/relative from Pakistan.
My friend is selling a CA Power for £50, but im thinking i put in an extra £50 or so pounds and get a better bat.
Help is much appreciated as the season starts this weekend and i have no bat! :)

Go for GM Icon the one Shane Watson da Watto uses ask help from CD Bhai also

I have a CA Power, and it's quite a decent bat. It has good thick edges, excellent pick up.

However if you are ready to stretch your budget up to £120, then I would say go for a Gray Nicolls .

Ive had a look at the G.N Oblivion LE and thats in region of £250+ ? :O
Dont GM's tend to have a thin edge rather than a thick one, i prefer a thick edge for them cheeky edges to 3rd man :p
A Boom Boom would be nice however starting price is around £150+ which is too high.
I dont want to be buying a new bat every other season £50/£60 each time so thats why im avoiding the CA Power, id rather pay £100/£120 and get a good reliable bat which will last me a long time.

Ive had a look at the G.N Oblivion LE and thats in region of £250+ ? :O
Dont GM's tend to have a thin edge rather than a thick one, i prefer a thick edge for them cheeky edges to 3rd man :p
A Boom Boom would be nice however starting price is around £150+ which is too high.
I dont want to be buying a new bat every other season £50/£60 each time so thats why im avoiding the CA Power, id rather pay £100/£120 and get a good reliable bat which will last me a long time.
hm yeah, the oblivion has thicker edges than gm bats. you dont have to go for the obliv LE. im pretty sure there are others like 5 star etc?

hm yeah, the oblivion has thicker edges than gm bats. you dont have to go for the obliv LE. im pretty sure there are others like 5 star etc?

I prefer a bat with thicker edges.
Yeah after a quick look on Ebay the Oblivion 5 star is £145 and the 4 star is £125........whats the difference between 4 star and 5 star?

I prefer a bat with thicker edges.
Yeah after a quick look on Ebay the Oblivion 5 star is £145 and the 4 star is £125........whats the difference between 4 star and 5 star?
i believe (not entirely sure) that 5 star is grade 1 eng willow while 4star is grade 2. someone correct me if im wrong. im not 100% sure

Ah right ok. The 5 star oblivion is an option if you guys reccomend it but is there any other Gray Nicolls for me or any other option? What about a CA or a Kookaburra.
My stupid bat had to snap in the net session the week before season starts :(
Only 5 days to find and buy/order a bat and not a clue which one to choose!

Ah right ok. The 5 star oblivion is an option if you guys reccomend it but is there any other Gray Nicolls for me or any other option? What about a CA or a Kookaburra.
My stupid bat had to snap in the net session the week before season starts :(
Only 5 days to find and buy/order a bat and not a clue which one to choose!
if you want a bat that lasts, definitely not kookaburra, there are 4359834095803495 complaints over the internet about how their kookaburra bats have snapped or cracked in the handle

if you want a bat that lasts, definitely not kookaburra, there are 4359834095803495 complaints over the internet about how their kookaburra bats have snapped or cracked in the handle

Ah right wow I never knew that, thanks for clearing that up for me. So a Kookaburra is a no go! Lol still no closer to choosing a bat! What other grade 1 options are there in the £120ish price range with a thick edge??
Any other Gray Nicholls beside the oblivion 5 star? :moyo

Last edited:
hmm so no other Gray Nicholls are an option? At £145 the oblivion 5 is a tad too pricy :/
What about a CA 8000?

I haven't really heard any other reviews about other GN's so I'm in no position to comment on them. Sorry about that.

Also I haven't used any other CA except the CA Power, which you don't seem too keen on. Sorry mate.

How about an unbranded bat bro? Exactly the same as branded stuff but without stickers and considerably cheaper...

I haven't really heard any other reviews about other GN's so I'm in no position to comment on them. Sorry about that.

Also I haven't used any other CA except the CA Power, which you don't seem too keen on. Sorry mate.

Guess I'll have to order an oblivion 5 star then if you recommend it that much. I was hoping for some advice from Mr. Cover Drive but he's not commented on this thread.
My only problem is my "asian mentality" Now for £145 in Pakistan I bet you could get an absolute belter, my sisters friend is in Pakistan currently but the only issue is, is that she will not have a clue on which bat to choose hence I was asking the advice of fellow PPers on which Asian or English bat to choose

Are my comments not as valuable as CD bhai's?

Anyway, you could get a belter for £145 from Pakistan, however the finishing, handles etc might not be of the same quality as English bats.

How about an unbranded bat bro? Exactly the same as branded stuff but without stickers and considerably cheaper...

Yeah mate that would be an option for sure. I mean if you could link me to a website that sells good quality bats with no stickers? Like I mentioned in my original post make is not important but a Gray N. Would be nice

Are my comments not as valuable as CD bhai's?

Anyway, you could get a belter for £145 from Pakistan, however the finishing, handles etc might not be of the same quality as English bats.

Haha my friend you have given me good genuine advice and I'm looking for a good deal on a Obvlivion 5 Star after your recomendation :)
I meant no disrespect to you bro. My point was that after reading most of the other threads CD bhai seems an expert. But I do appreciate your help brother :)
The brother above made a point about an unbranded bat, do you know of any websites that sell good unbranded bats?

Haha my friend you have given me good genuine advice and I'm looking for a good deal on a Obvlivion 5 Star after your recomendation :)
I meant no disrespect to you bro. My point was that after reading most of the other threads CD bhai seems an expert. But I do appreciate your help brother :)
The brother above made a point about an unbranded bat, do you know of any websites that sell good unbranded bats?

Lol, no bhai I wasn't being serious, just joking around. Of course CD bhai is probably one of the most knowledgeable guys when it comes to cricket gear, so I'm not surprised you want his opinions.

Uhhm well if you're located in the UK, I would highly reccomend to you uzisports.com. It has really good plain bats and Asad bhai has superb service.

Here's the link: http://www.uzisports.co.uk/

Hope this helps. :)

I am in agreement with QS bhai on this, Pakistani bats are good - better than English in many cases in my opinion but the handles sometimes let them down.

I have just returned from Pakistan recently and bought back an absolute belter with me... the thread is in this forum.

I have heard good things about UziSports in the UK, they have this plain G1 bat going for 119.99 GBP:

http://uzisports.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_187&products_id=657

However I have been really impressed with an Indian retailer, Online Stockist, forum member Knightrider is a fan of these guys. They Knock, Oil, Fit facing and throw in other extras with the order... (I sound like some PR person!).

They've got a G1 on limited time offer for 99 GBP with all the extras available for FREE:

http://onlinestockist.com/Custom-Ma...ade-1-English-Willow-Cricket-Bat-P295377.aspx

Also a max grainer bat on limited time offer for 73 GBP:

http://onlinestockist.com/Custom-Max-Grainer-English-Willow-Cricket-Bat-P1283150.aspx

Let me know what you think bro. Is by far a value for money investment is a plain bat... I was once told that just by a company sticking its stickers on the value goes up atleast 35 GBP! Wowzer! :O :asif

Guys honestly the help that you have given me is beyond belief so thank you :)
Couple of questions, what's "max grainer" and also if Uzi Sports is an English based firm would it be fair to say that paying an extra 20 for their bat would mean a better handle life as appose to buying from the online Stockist?
Maybe I'm the problem? All 3 of my previous bats have gone from the handle. I bounce the bat very hard as I have often noticed that myself and I like to hold the bat high up as I am an aggressive player so maybe the problem is me not the bad, regardless I still need a new bat haha!
And I think the point about stickers rasing the price of the bat by an extra £35 is true

A 'max grainer is a bat with as many grains as possible.

Also I think I am correct in saying that Asad bhai gets his plain bats from Sialkot so there might not be a difference in handles.

I would advise you to ring up Asad bhai and talk to him about your handles problem.

And btw, we are always happy to help you out bhai. :)

Last edited:
Bhai, some bats will have more or less grains than other bats, but the bat should have between 8-10 grains.

Bhai, some bats will have more or less grains than other bats, but the bat should have between 8-10 grains.

Ah right I see.

So between these two bats :
http://uzisports.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_187&products_id=657

http://onlinestockist.com/Custom-Ma...ade-1-English-Willow-Cricket-Bat-P295377.aspx

which one should i go for?
or should i scrap these two or go for this beast :rehman
https://romida.co.uk/cricket-bats/g...ay-nicolls-oblivion-5-star-cat-no-015273.html

GUYS PLEASE JUSTIFY REASONS AS WHY YOU WOULD CHOOSE THAT SPECIFIC BAT :)
I shall be ordering one of these by tonight

Bhai, in my opinion go for the one for uzisports.

I say this because it is cheaper and also a lot of people have dealt with Asad bhai, and his service is second to none.

Anyway, whichever bat you decide on, I hope it turns out a beast.:)

Uzi Sports bat is more, its £120 exc postage and Stockist is £100 exc postage.
are they both grade 1?
haha i really dont know which to choose, you get far more accessories with the Stockist one :p
With your blessing QS bhai InshAllah the bat i choose will be a beast

Oh sorry, I mixed them up.

Yes both bats are Grade 1. Also if you are looking for freebies, just ask Asad bhai, and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to throw in a few.

Also Asad bhai's service will be a lot quicker, and I understand you need the bat asap.

So in your genuine honest opinion you would choose the one from Uzi Sports?
Sorry im bit of a newbie, so this Asad bhai owns UziSports - is he on this forum? how would i contact him?
Again my friend thank you for the help :)

Yep, I would go for Uzi Sports.

Asad bhai owns Uzi Sports however I don't think he's on this forum.

You can contact him by e-mail-uzisports.co.uk@googlemail.com

Or by phone- +44(0)1793 616333
+44(0)7980317908

Just one question though, if you don't mind me asking, are based in the UK? Also you won't be able to call him today because his shop is closed right now.

Ah ok so would it be best if i rang him tomorow asking him if he could do me some sort of deal?
Yeah im based in the UK. From Huddersfield, West Yorkshire so i guess post will be the best option as the drive is too far.
Realistically do you think he could price match and give me it for £100, knocking £20 off?

I think it would be worth trying to knock off as much as possible. I know he is a top bloke, so he should hopefully be able to give you a really good deal.

Also if you rang him up tomorrow then you will probably get your bat by the start of the season.

Ah right yeah I'll give him a ring tomorow. I was speaking with my uncle and he knows the owner of the local cricket shop so I'll give him a ring with tomorow and see what he can do for us on an oblivion 5 star I think the bats on for 145 so if we can get it for 120 would that be better than the one from Uzi Sports?
The website for the shop is http://www.romida.co.uk

Ah okay, I've never heard of them, but if you know them then they must be a legit shop.

If you can get a Oblivion 5 star for £120 I would say that's a bargain and I would go for that one. But remember the feel of the bat is very important and if the shop is nearby I would suggest going down there and picking a couple up.

Last edited:
Yeah deffo a lot of my mates go there but they're really expensive but if I can get an Oblivion 5 Star for 120 then that would be good.
But I'm still going to ring Mr. Uzi Sports up, if he could do me that bat for 100 and I could get the oblivion for 120 which would I choose, just talking hypothetically now. Do you think its case of paying for the stickers or would I be paying an extra 20 for a top Gray Nic. Bat?

Back