USA (159/3) & (18/1) defeat Pakistan (159/7) & (13/1) by 5 runs in a super over thriller to cause the first major upset of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Imagine being Abrar right now, knowing that the guy in your spot can secure his place in the team vs a weak opposition after failing to produce any performances in the past few years.

My match prediction:
Pakistan- 160/5
Rizwan 10 (21)
Babar 5(9)
Usman 58 (36)
Fakhar 11 (10)
Azam 53 (27)
Iftikhar 10 (17)

USA lose by 10 runs with Shadab giving at least 40 from his 4
Azam 53? Shadab 40/4. More like Azam 3, Shadab 50-60 in 4

Pakistan need to win big today if they really are serious for making a statement for themselves

Babar Azam: We would have also bowled first. It is a morning match, the pitch is fresh and we will look to put the runs on the board. Good to see sun is out, we haven't seen sunshine for the last 3-4 days. He has an injury but we will cover it up by playing the four fast bowlers.

Monank Patel: We will bowl first. We have been playing on the same surface and chasing is easy on this ground, also it is better to know the target. It was a great game and we want to continue that momentum. It is a new challenge and we want to make sure we play our best cricket. One change for us.

Babar must be sweating already.

This team plans to bat 2nd to win.

They have no clue what score to go for batting first.

What score is Babar looking at the toss? Mark this down

Very much possible I would say , the way Pakistan playing these days. only Fakhar in batting and Shaheen in bowling can save them marginally
It is possible. But given the X factors that pak has in bowling depth they should see off any minnow threat with ease.

In an absolute worst display. The pitch is good enough to score 170-180. Canada scored 190+ here against USA.

Naseem could have easily been replaced with Abrar but BABAR as usual, not thinking straight.

If Azam plays, then we know our board is not taking cricket and this tournament seriously...it's a joke to them
Not only is he playing, but he will be fielding as well...who needs the Comedy Channel when you have the Pakistan team?

USA has a real shot here as they bowl first. Ali khan and netravalkar have the chance to be heroes. Think Ali Khan is underrated. He can be the surprise bowler today. Hope the Dallas crowd turns up and supports USA !
USA USA USA !! Can hear the chant chorus and the decibel levels :D

How is Naseem Shah a better option than Abbas Afridi?

USA have probably never faced 4 fast bowlers bowling 140 kph back to back. Especially considering that PAK bowlers are fast, if not anything else, it's not a bad decision
140 is easy if you are spraying it around on a flat deck

USA will chase easily. Pakistan has to score big! Knowing useless Chacha! He will play dot balls waste all overs for us!

USA have probably never faced 4 fast bowlers bowling 140 kph back to back. Especially considering that PAK bowlers are fast, if not anything else, it's not a bad decision
I don't mind. Specially knowing they might need 4 pacers or even 5 against India as well. So at the very least good match practice for your premium pacers together.

If they play Azam khan and Shadab khan then there is a high chance they will lose today.

My team would be

Babar
Rizwan
Saim
Fakhar
Usman
Ifthikar
Shaheen
Amir
Naseem
Haris rauf
Abrar
U adding Ifthikhar in that list. Is a lost for Pakistan.

Abrar's mystery would have caused more damage then pacers.

200 + runs by Pakistan but now u have Chacha on the playing squad.. score will be 140 -150

my biggest fear is shadab will take 3 wickets and azam smash 4 sixes against USA and both get to play over Imad/Abrar/anyone else instead against India

Rizwan back as WK. Let's see where they try to hide Azam.
use him super close in as silly point or short leg, that will block half the shots. worst case will help with case for injury replacement. (just kidding ofcourse)

my biggest fear is shadab will take 3 wickets and azam smash 4 sixes against USA and both get to play over Imad/Abrar/anyone else instead against India

USA is not an easy team for these two gully boys , so no worries. I’m expecting USA to snatch victory here today.

U adding Ifthikhar in that list. Is a lost for Pakistan.
should never have been in squad nevermind team, makes my blood boil. They'll have to play him at 5 in this game imo so he can at least feast on minnows and to send Shady further down to 7 with azam at 6.

So, another Zimbabwe loading for us, anytime we play a minnow we give them full opportunity to win and create problems for us later in the tournament, every one with their calculators and praying mats after this game is lost.

Tom Moody doesn’t think Pakistan will reach the semis
Which is why it amazes me as to what goes inside Babar's head where he thinks a middle order of Azam, Shadab and Chacha Ifti will actually fire in a real match...the mind boggles....

use him super close in as silly point or short leg, that will block half the shots. worst case will help with case for injury replacement. (just kidding ofcourse)
Great idea on silly point. Will throw off the batter

Kristen proved to be a lool/spineless coach with no authority. Its Dhoni's brain what gave India trophy and Kristen took the credit.

should never have been in squad nevermind team, makes my blood boil. They'll have to play him at 5 in this game imo so he can at least feast on minnows and to send Shady further down to 7 with azam at 6.
Watch him flop and his mini van 🍭 Fans still support him

I have taken a break in recent years from PP, more of an observer rather than contributor.

I feel compelled to pontificate again

For more than 2 decades I have sat through the likes of Junaid Zia, Sohail Tanvir, Younis Khan (in odis), Asad Shafiq (in odis), imran farhaat, riaz, salman butt, and Shan masood. Each time i thought we couldnt get lower each time we did and now we have reached new levels of depravity with Azam Khan in a world cup side.

Its just insane

A player who has only grown horizontally in recent years and thinks having a career t20 average of 24 is such a legendary performance that it makes up for his girth.

Yet we will have people calling this 25 year old man of privilege a “kid” and say we are being harsh. This in a country where 6 years olds are still forced work in factories or shift through the garbage for plastic.

We are a joke and deserve everything we get

Can't believe Azam is playing. Open Saim & move Rizwan to No.5.

Would have liked to see Abrar play.

Babar hates Abrar for sure. He was lucky to be in the squad.
Don’t think that’s the case

Babar is always carrying him around with him on his little shopping, restaurant trips

Back