USA (159/3) & (18/1) defeat Pakistan (159/7) & (13/1) by 5 runs in a super over thriller to cause the first major upset of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Not really. Babar not coming out wasn't even discussed.

Anyways points was we have serious issues with the Super Over. I don't think anyone in PCT even strategizes for such scenarios

Our team got a beating from an associate team and your problem is "we don't strategize for Super OVER"

The first question for a championship team would be "Why did it get down to a super over vs an associate nation".

End of story.

Pakistan should have cremated USA.

Instead, it ended up the opposite way.

Babar Azam in post match ceremony:

"we couldn't capitalise the power play and after that we tried to build a partnership but we couldn't do well in the middle and late overs

To be honest , we weren't up to the mark as a bowling unit, we failed to take wickets, and in the middler overs spinners couldn't make any difference

We will try to comeback, our campaign isn't over yet so we will try our best in the next games

It's very hard to lose to a side against the USA but all credits to them for playing good cricket in all three departments.

Yes, the pitch was two faced and it was difficult to bat on but it's not an excuse."

Off day. I don’t think Pakistan will play this badly again.
A huge wake up call. Not going to be easy for India. This game should wake up the sleeping tiger.
Haha I wish I had that much optimism
India are licking their lips, it's going to be a bloodbath

Not really. Babar not coming out wasn't even discussed.

Anyways points was we have serious issues with the Super Over. I don't think anyone in PCT even strategizes for such scenarios
It was, infact you mocked me for acting as if I can predict the future. But khair let it rest

"we couldn't capitalise the power play and after that we tried to build a partnership but we couldn't do well in the middle and late overs

To be honest , we weren't up to the mark as a bowling unit, we failed to take wickets, and in the middler overs spinners couldn't make any difference

We will try to comeback, our campaign isn't over yet so we will try our best in the next games

It's very hard to lose to a side against the USA but all credits to them for playing good cricket in all three departments.

Yes, the pitch was two faced and it was difficult to bat on but it's not an excuse."
The pitch wasn’t difficult to bat on. The first three wickets were thrown away. Rizwan with poor footwork, the other two clowns just handing the ball to the one fielder that it could go to.

Did you really expect anything from the Paindu Babar?

Gautam Gambhir pinpointed a similar mistake he made in the Asia Cup 2023 against Sri Lanka but Babar does not have the mental capacity or intellect to learn from the game.

Kohli is a legend and a far superior cricketer not because of his batting talent but also because of his intellect and understanding of the game, you can clearly pinpoint this when he is interviewed.

No I didn't expect any different from any of them. They are all paindus at this level. Would make little difference who was captain, they are all equally clueless.

Let me tell you my honest perspective. I was actually supporting US as you probably know.

I was genuinely fretting Pakistan bowling Naseem in the super over. That was a HUGE blunder by Babar and management. They clearly can’t read the game

Let me get this right...this forum is for Pakistani supporters?
I don't see any?
Pathetic!

Sabina Park 2007
Perth 2022
Chennai 2023
Dallas 2024

Without a doubt one of the most shameful defeats in the history of Pakistan cricket. They were absolutely sloppy in every aspect of the game and seemingly incapable of handling pressure even against a minnow team playing their first T20 World Cup.

Even if they get lucky and manage to beat India by some miracle, the humiliation that they brought on the entire country and its fans with this loss will not be forgotten anytime soon.

Wildly different takes on pakistan performance on social media from pakistan fans

Some of the things that puzzled me

"Azam was unlucky"

"Babar Azam weathered the toughest conditions"

Babar is truly shameless individual. He is the reason Pakistan is suffering in world cricket.

Let me tell you my honest perspective. I was actually supporting US as you probably know.

I was genuinely fretting Pakistan bowling Naseem in the super over. That was a HUGE blunder by Babar and management. They clearly can’t read the game
Now...there is a surprise!

Off day. I don’t think Pakistan will play this badly again.
A huge wake up call. Not going to be easy for India. This game should wake up the sleeping tiger.
Sleeping tiger? The most it would wake up is tigger from Winnie the Pooh. This pak team is a bunch cooked from neoptism , politics, arrogance and players not caring. If the Ireland series didn’t wake them up nothing will.

As long as Azam Khan is playing there is no hope for this team. Will enjoy rest of world cup in peace and zero expectations.

Babar Azam is the main reason Pakistan lost this match.

He scored 44 runs off 43 balls which is criminal on this pitch.

If he has any shame left he should resign from captaincy and take leave from Pakistan T20i squad and take his friends with him.
I think as a team they lost. This wasn’t down to one or two people. The bowlers weren’t great with their wides. Many batsmen gave their wicket away. Poor fielding , Shaheen should have caught it int he last over. Chacha in the slips.

It’s a teams performance of rubbish , though babar is the epicentre of it

The wrist slitting can be delayed till after the tournament.
Even if we make it out of this stage, this is a huge embarrassment to Pakistan as a nation. No one plays cricket here (USA). I know some of these American players and they have no business beating Pakistan. Or so I thought. A joke. Shambles. Hot garbage witnessed today.

NRR matters in this group.

Pakistan can still qualify. They just have to beat Canada and Ireland with huge margins.

USA can also lose to Ireland badly. So still early days.

“Just need two wins by huge margins”.

Pakistan wouldn’t beat the Lesotho schoolboys XI playing like this.

Just some days back here I said Pak will lose to the USA. There is nothing in this team at all. Over the top players past their sell by date players, unfit players and a lack of motivation. Batting first we never seemed like really going for big runs at all. Pak were afraid it seemed like almost frozen of the USA thinking it was a war instead of a Cricket match:rolleyes: .What is even more amusing is most of our fans still consider Babar to be a world beater comparable with Kohli when he can't even take us home against complete minnows. After India smash us we'll have one foot out of the tournament then back home the merry go round will continue. Officials, coaches, the board and everyone else will resign yet the problems will persist. Why are the likes of Azam and Shadab even playing for us when they would not even get in to the USA side?. This is THE worst Pak team I have ever seen since getting in to Cricket. Have a poll on this.

A few blinders definitely.
1. Not opening the super over with Zaman. He is the best hitter and he was camping at non- strikers end watching circus.
2. As you said Naseem Shah should’ve bowled the super over.
3. Poor fielding and allowing 8 extras in super over.
4. Lack of intent at the top from Pak batsmen. USA bowling was never under pressure. They were happy to give singles to Babar, Rizwan and Iftikar later on.

after a long time I have seen Pakistan game, I was shocked to see the quality of our batting -

--- Fakhar Zaman is a typical, what we used to say in our days, a dhara. --- iftikhar the finisher can't even hit a six on a full toss -- since when Shadab became a batsman , last time I watched, he was a low quality bowler -- and Azam Khan, well no words , on what basis he is playing for Pakistan?

after a long time I have seen Pakistan game, I was shocked to see the quality of our batting -

--- Fakhar Zaman is a typical, what we used to say in our days, a dhara. --- iftikhar the finisher can't even hit a six on a full toss -- since when Shadab became a batsman , last time I watched, he was a low quality bowler -- and Azam Khan, well no words , on what basis he is playing for Pakistan?
I miss the likes of Razzaq. Was never a top 10 batsmen in the world, but would look world class in the current line up.

Truly is the darkest day in the cricketing history of Pakistan on the pitch, if you can’t motivate yourself to beat a bunch of part timers then you seriously need to question if cricket is for you!

If India beat us which is 98% right now it’s over, as all it would need is USA to win there next game and they’re though to the next round !

Surprised no one talking about wides Amir bowled in super over. Looked real shady

Pakistan needs to play atleast 5 genuine batsmen even if they don't bowl for a start. Shadab/Iftikar/Imad are all bits and piece cricketers. Then 4 bowlers who are maringally above tailenders.

People saying this is absolute nadir for the Pakistan cricket team but no, that was against Ireland in 2007 when he had an established Kuptaan in Inzy and probably our best coach in Bob Woolmer...that was a decent team...

The playing 11 today was full of fraandship players like Chacha "Age fudger" Ifti (who has never won a match for Pakistan in a crux match in a major tournament even though he made his debut in 2016), sifarshi Azam "McDonald Bradman" Khan (who is only there cos his Dad is Moin Khan), Shadab "Once in a blue Moon" Khan (who can't spin the ball and gets a worse each match), Mohammed "Over the hill" Amir, etc...forget the odd one or two passengers in the team, we have more than half the team that are frequent flyers led by mental midget who fails to perform at the highest level!

This was inevitable...

Apparently Saurabh, the guy who bowled the super over for USA is a part time cricketer, full time Software Developer of Oracle and a Cornell Graduate. You guys actually lost to a IT GUY for chrissake

That's still better than a age fudging construction worker which is most of the Pakistan team.

Cricket is a nobility sport, you have to be intelligent to succeed at it.

why does he give us recap of match in post interview whenever he loses?

Chacha lost the game for Pakistan! Sleeping on field and horrible batting
And who is responsible for playing Chacha, match after match, tournament after tournament, even when he has never performed in a crux game? He made his debut in 2016...8 years and still waiting...at least Asif Ali (who I despise) won us a couple of games against the Afghanis and Indians...

The only explanation is if Ifti is actually Babar's Chacha or worse, his real father!

Those who have followed Pakistan for a long time should know that this isn't some kind of aberration or anything like that.
Pakistan has been known to produce such masterclass now and often for the sake of other's entertainment. Now watch them turn the tables when the expectations are low and everyone's just expecting the worst.
That has been their modus operandi since long. It's a familiar pattern for anyone who has followed this team for some time now.

Those who have followed Pakistan for a long time should know that this isn't some kind of aberration or anything like that.
Pakistan has been known to produce such masterclass now and often for the sake of other's entertainment. Now watch them turn the tables when the expectations are low and everyone's just expecting the worst.
That has been their modus operandi since long. It's a familiar pattern for anyone who has followed this team for some time now.
1717706024667.png

The only positive is that the World Cup is taking place in the US and not in the UK. Otherwise, I would have ended up spending a fortune trying to catch as many matches in person and probably being gutted and angry at the end...this team and especially Babar do not deserve the adulation they get from us overseas fans...should stick to England

I think it's one step too much. None of our players have fight or grit. At best we might be able to bowl a low score but chasing anything is a tough total. We don't have any batters. Babar can bat but his mentality is so wrong it's having a detrimental effect on the team. Rizwan is hit and miss. Everybody else is garbage

Babar Azam in a post match talk expressed following thoughts:

"Whenever you play against such a team, you are a little bit more relaxed than usual. Before you come to a mega event, you try to prepare as hard as you can. If you don't execute your plans against any team, I feel that you will have to face the consequences then and we didn't execute our plans today."

"Weather was not a problem. As professionals, we're used to diverse conditions. Sometimes there is a cloud cover and sometimes you need to beat the heat. So yeah, weather wasn't much of a problem for us."

"In the first six overs, the ball was moving around and was holding up in the pitch. We tried to develop a partnership and we were successful in doing so and brought the momentum in our favor. Unfortunately, losing back to back wickets didn't help us. We had covered for our bad start but we threw it away in the middle. I think the middle-order will have to step up. It is simple, we played bad cricket and they played well."

"The USA bowlers utilized their skills really well. Our bowlers were not on the mark in the first 10 overs. We made a comeback after ten overs but then, it was a bit too late. I think the total was fine to defend as far as our bowling line up is concerned."

How come no one’s making there playing xi for Sunday
Everyones wondering where the 11th player is going to come from

Useless Azam Khan, side strain Imad and Abrar who is here as a tourist, remember?

Why are you getting abusive? If you're an indian then it's time to go do your ubereats deliveries.
Naah I'm enjoying Modi's utter humiliation here in my home country. And with Pakistan providing such an ultra familiar entertainment, what more can a man ask for eh?

Apparently Saurabh, the guy who bowled the super over for USA is a part time cricketer, full time Software Developer of Oracle and a Cornell Graduate. You guys actually lost to a IT GUY for chrissake
What you mean apparently, he works for Oracle if Im not mistaken he has captained the team too

Jesus Christ Pakistan wth was that. I don't even like cricket anymore and y'all managed to ignite my interest in the sport again.
Jiyo yar. Truly the most entertaining team of all time.
PCT are famous for bringing out of form players back into form, turning garbage into superstars and now looks like bringing ex TP posters back to the forum. We even had a guy making his first post after joining PP 8 years ago. Today is a historic day.

Welcome back.

Babar Azam in a post match talk expressed following thoughts:

"Whenever you play against such a team, you are a little bit more relaxed than usual. Before you come to a mega event, you try to prepare as hard as you can. If you don't execute your plans against any team, I feel that you will have to face the consequences then and we didn't execute our plans today."

"Weather was not a problem. As professionals, we're used to diverse conditions. Sometimes there is a cloud cover and sometimes you need to beat the heat. So yeah, weather wasn't much of a problem for us."

"In the first six overs, the ball was moving around and was holding up in the pitch. We tried to develop a partnership and we were successful in doing so and brought the momentum in our favor. Unfortunately, losing back to back wickets didn't help us. We had covered for our bad start but we threw it away in the middle. I think the middle-order will have to step up. It is simple, we played bad cricket and they played well."

"The USA bowlers utilized their skills really well. Our bowlers were not on the mark in the first 10 overs. We made a comeback after ten overs but then, it was a bit too late. I think the total was fine to defend as far as our bowling line up is concerned."

So in other words, PCT underestimated the americans.

No expectations will be overturned...this is one of the worst playing 11 that have played for Pakistan ever...not a single match winner among them (bar Fakhar and that's once in a blue moon)

I feel for him, first match in charge (well before any of his changes are likely to be implemented or have any effect) and they go and lose to USA.
I wouldn't. He is a coach earning his keep, why select Azam khan? I'm sure he can overrule this. Why not have warm up matches? why not suggest to the PCB to start earlier so he can get acquainted with the team atleast 6-8 months before hand? These tournament coaches are just a big a problem as the players and PCB selectors.

No foresight, only here for the Pay cheque

The team that lost against Ireland was a decent team, full of great players (see attached)...the current squad is one of the worst I have seen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240606_213831_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240606_213831_Chrome.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 11
Back