USA (159/3) & (18/1) defeat Pakistan (159/7) & (13/1) by 5 runs in a super over thriller to cause the first major upset of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

How many runs were we short by today? About 10-15 runs? What is the latest excuse?

I wouldn't. He is a coach earning his keep, why select Adam khan? I'm sure he can overrule this. Why not have warm up matches? why not suggest to the PCB to start earlier so he can get acquainted with the team atleast 6-8 months before hand? These tournament coaches are just a big a problem as the players and PCB selectors.

No foresight, only here for the Pay cheque
I'll be honest, in the mist and murk of Pakistan cricket, I'm not sure how much say a foreign coach gets. Im going to be brutally honest and say that if Gary Kirsten had full control, Azam Khan wouldn't have been there, but also having said this it's possible he brought into Azams PSL numbers.

We all know how the PCB functions and exactly how much attention the Pak think tank actually takes into account the thoughts of a coach earning his keep.

I'll be honest, in the mist and murk of Pakistan cricket, I'm not sure how much say a foreign coach gets. Im going to be brutally honest and say that if Gary Kirsten has full control, Azam Khan wouldn't have been there, but also having said this it's possible he brought into Azams PSL numbers.

We all know how the PCB functions and exactly how much attention the Pak think tank actually takes into account the thoughts of a coach earning his keep.
In which case it's a failure on the PCB once again. If youre going to have a coach, especially someone who has the experience and knowledge as Gary Kirsten then you need to give him the tools to succeed, otherwise just select a player/coach and get on with losing and not taking the game seriously.

PCT are famous for bringing out of form players back into form, turning garbage into superstars and now looks like bringing ex TP posters back to the forum. We even had a guy making his first post after joining PP 8 years ago. Today is a historic day.

Welcome back.
jazakallah khair bhai. Yeah it's been a long time. Hope you are doing good.

USA stun Pakistan in dramatic Super Over to complete all-time great upset

A boundary off the final ball of USA’s run-chase had sent the match to a Super Over, and it was the co-hosts of the tournament who came out on top in Dallas, pulling off one of the all-time great shocks.

Pakistan have reached at least the semi-final stage in six of the eight men's T20 World Cups, including finishing runners-up in the most recent tournament in Australia in 2022. But they came against a USA side who did everything right on the day to pull off one of the biggest results in the history of the game.

Pakistan turned to Mohammad Amir in the Super Over, but three wides and a string of overthrows helped USA rack up 18 runs, despite just one boundary coming off the bat of Aaron Jones.

And Netravalkar Saurabh held his nerve with the ball as USA completed the most remarkable of victories on home soil.

Set 160 to win in regulation time, USA very nearly won the game in their initial allocated overs as their top order dealt well with a high-calibre Pakistan attack.

Opener Steven Taylor departed for 12 (16) in the final over of the Powerplay, but Monank Patel and Andries Gous put Pakistan on the back foot with a brilliant partnership that moved the tournament co-hosts into treble figures and seemingly in control of the run chase.

Monank was particularly impressive, hitting a classy half-century to give his side hope, putting on 68 in a crucial stand with Gous.

However, Pakistan’s four-pronged pace attack hit back, removing both set batters to set up a nervy finale at the Grand Prairie Stadium.

Haris Rauf cleaned up Gous (35 from 26) to get the crucial breakthrough. And, an over later, Mohammad Amir had the excellent Patel caught behind for 50 from 38 to give Pakistan hope.

A classic display of death bowling seemed to have put Pakistan on the brink of victory despite a fine knock from Aaron Jones (36* from 26).

But USA banged 11 runs off the final three deliveries of the innings, with Nitish Kumar slamming the last ball for four to force a Super Over and send the home crowd delirious in Dallas.

Earlier, a recovery partnership between Babar Azam (44 from 43) and Shadab Khan (40 from 25) helped Pakistan recover from the loss of early wickets, before some big late hits from Shaheen Shah Afridi boosted the first-innings total to 159/7 after 20 overs.

Nosthush Kenjige (3/30 from 4) and Saurabh Netravalkar (2/18 from 4) led the way with the ball for the tournament co-hosts, who have given their batters a chance against one of Group A’s big two.

ICC

But who told you that Pakistan will win matches after Babar become captain again?

And is this is what Amir was brought back for?
Weren't you supporting Babar as captain before?

Dude's proven to be dumb as a rock. Came back running when he was asked to captain again after the humiliation.

How dumb you have to be to accept that after knowing the reason why you got kicked in the first place was because of your dumb captaincy.

Weren't you supporting Babar as captain before?

Dude's proven to be dumb as a rock. Came back running when he was asked to captain again after the humiliation.

How dumb you have to be to accept that after knowing the reason why you got kicked in the first place was because of your dumb captaincy.
I support Babar as captain because he is the only realistic choice. There are no realistic alternatives.

Biggest BS. There's Rizwan. There's Fakhar. There's Shaheen. There's Imad.

You can even get someone from domestic Cricket.
Haris is best choice bro, I watched acc emerging cup and yes acc emerging cup team in t20 and odi washes our current team, I 100% meant it.

Haris is best choice bro, I watched acc emerging cup and yes acc emerging cup team in t20 and odi washes our current team, I 100% meant it.
Yea sure. But I'm generally in favor of making someone currently in the setup that is performing. Get in Harris and groom him for a year or two and then you can make him as your captain.

Yea sure. But I'm generally in favor of making someone currently in the setup that is performing. Get in Harris and groom him for a year or two and then you can make him as your captain.
Agree with this, unless they're an absolute world beater, especially in Pakistan cricket culture where age/experience to the older man matters, you have to have played him for a couple of years atleast. Unless he has this big personality and is and absolute world class player who can back up his expectations with performances.

The PSL needs to become less diluted too, if Azam Khan, Chacha and Shadab are the best we can produce we are in trouble.

Well haris will have a year and onwards to improve.

Bro inorder to improve, you don't have players go in psl and come out.

Let haris have a year and let him have COMPLETE CONTROL, He'll frustrate alot of fans, and will lose series and you'll have people on PP asking for his head cause they don't understand how grooming works, But eventually you will get results.

Reason being is because Haris proved himself to be a no nonsense captain, when he's given full control he has no problem discarding people who don't adhere to aggressive standards even with nepotism and he made it clear no one is his friend in that cup. He also experiments and is aggressive in nature.

He'll get results because he's a guy who has the best interests for Pakistan at heart, Reason Bobby doesn't get results is because he's busy securing his future PCB POSITIONS, securing league contracts and making more money and fame and the record obsession. He did the Harvard thing to follow the Misbah or hafeez route of getting a stable money making profession post retirement. Dude only cares for himself and his personal buddies. This isn't really a cricket team. It has less mentality then uganada and Oman lol.

The only positive is that the World Cup is taking place in the US and not in the UK. Otherwise, I would have ended up spending a fortune trying to catch as many matches in person and probably being gutted and angry at the end...this team and especially Babar do not deserve the adulation they get from us overseas fans...should stick to England

If it was in the uk these players would have been in real danger of being attacked or things thrown at them or cursed .

Agree with this, unless they're an absolute world beater, especially in Pakistan cricket culture where age/experience to the older man matters, you have to have played him for a couple of years atleast. Unless he has this big personality and is and absolute world class player who can back up his expectations with performances.

The PSL needs to become less diluted too, if Azam Khan, Chacha and Shadab are the best we can produce we are in trouble.
Put PSL back in UAE and let more domestic players represent and it'll fix alot of things.

These pindi road pitches don't help anyone. Pcb is mistaken to think IPL is grooming players. IPL is for entertainment, Indian players improve by playing ranji trophy

More than that we need leadership and management that recognizes diamonds. Once Harris was recognized as one why was he dropped?

Why after a successful WT20 he only got handful matches that too on rank turner surface against Afghanistan. On the other hand likes of Saim and Azam got too many. And they still couldn't do anything.

It's not just about looking at last season PSL performers and making your team. You gotta to keep your diamonds close and polish them. As you know they will deliver on the biggest stage as they have done before.

You see in India Hardik doesn't perform as much. He is the captain for MI and Rohit is under him. Despite all this Rohit knows his diamond and fully backs Hardik. When the big stage comes. Hardik delivers.

More than that we need leadership and management that recognizes diamonds. Once Harris was recognized as one why was he dropped?

Why after a successful WT20 he only got handful matches that too on rank turner surface against Afghanistan. On the other hand likes of Saim and Azam got too many. And they still couldn't do anything.

It's not just about looking at last season PSL performers and making your team. You gotta to keep your diamonds close and polish them. As you know they will deliver on the biggest stage as they have done before.

You see in India Hardik doesn't perform as much. He is the captain for MI and Rohit is under him. Despite all this Rohit knows his diamond and fully backs Hardik. When the big stage comes. Hardik delivers.
POTW. Genuinely, This was a quality written post.

So in other words, PCT underestimated the americans.

They’ve basically admitted it, in so many words. Questions need to be asked about what their actual preparation was for this game. It all seems very unprofessional.

Jokes apart. This Netravalakar is not a total journeyman. He has some skill. He took 6 for 9 in the Major league cricket. Look at the wickets he took.

Screenshot-2024-06-06-161351.png

From here on I am gonna support my Scotland in the tournament. As least they will try their best. We looked good against England too. Forza Scozia makes us proud:cool: I am just fed up with Pak too my back teeth. These bunch of over weight and unfit losers always let us down.

Put PSL back in UAE and let more domestic players represent and it'll fix alot of things.

These pindi road pitches don't help anyone. Pcb is mistaken to think IPL is grooming players. IPL is for entertainment, Indian players improve by playing ranji trophy
I think it needs to be half and half. You have to give young children something to watch, to look up to , to engage and inspire them into the game. PSL doesn't need to be moved, they just need to create good pitches that help the development of their game.

I used to think it's about a lack of money that the bigger nations can invest in. The PSL brings in millions for the PCB, if they are serious about setting up a good national team they need to make the right investments and remove politics. I think their hand maybe forced soon, if there is a weak national team eventually their cash cow the PSL will suffer.

Only when money is impacted will the fat cats in the PCB actually do something

From here on I am gonna support my Scotland in the tournament. As least they will try their best. We looked good against England too. Forza Scozia makes us proud:cool: I am just fed up with Pak too my back teeth. These bunch of over weight and unfit losers always let us down.
Scotland field much better, run faster between wickets, take catches, far fitter team generally.... in many facets of the game they're much better than Pakistan honestly.

Genuinely ashamed to support these lot. The gross lack of application is bad enough but the lack of pride and care from this group is honestly scary. They were pathetic to the extreme.

We saw today, the fruits of festering the furthest thing from a united and professional group of players and staff. Years of Pakistan cricket unravelling as the country continues to unravel.

Pakistan were beaten by a simple outfit of committed teammates that were willing to fight for every ball. Hard work and unity beats unmotivated, uncaring and undedicated talent every day of the week.

We’re on our way out of this tournament and with a whimper.

Good shout, they play with heart, could have beaten Eng if it wasn't for rain. I'm supporting them at the Euros so hope they win against Germany next week opener.

Thank God for Euros.

Pakistan lost in all 3 facets of the game.
We've always had shambolic and horrendous matches but we lost to the USA! That's a catastrophe and indefensible.
We always have been under the control of the US.to be honest every single player Baring Shadab and Naseem were were very poor.

Kamran Akmal on ary news lobbying for umar akmal return.. rip Pak cricket
Is he wrong though?

What is this ? Your captain and his bestie too scared to bat in a super over!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he wrong though?

What is this ? Your captain and his bestie too scared to bat in a super over!
they made the right choice (sort of) with regards to that. I don't want babar batting in the super over , he isnt an explosive batsmen

they made the right choice (sort of) with regards to that. I don't want babar batting in the super over , he isnt an explosive batsmen
So why is he batting in the powerplay? Why is it his birthright to bat in the powerplay?

I think that’s super unfair to US cricketers but it is what it is.

I think it needs to be half and half. You have to give young children something to watch, to look up to , to engage and inspire them into the game. PSL doesn't need to be moved, they just need to create good pitches that help the development of their game.

I used to think it's about a lack of money that the bigger nations can invest in. The PSL brings in millions for the PCB, if they are serious about setting up a good national team they need to make the right investments and remove politics. I think their hand maybe forced soon, if there is a weak national team eventually their cash cow the PSL will suffer.

Only when money is impacted will the fat cats in the PCB actually do something
The old format had hybrid model, Some games in UAE and some games in Pakistan. It was the right idea as many times tourmaline are double hosted and players need to get used to travelling excessively amd avoiding jetlag

Good shout, they play with heart, could have beaten Eng if it wasn't for rain. I'm supporting them at the Euros so hope they win against Germany next week opener.

Thank God for Euros.
We just beat Namibia, mubarak ho :love: ! Pak would have lost to them for sure!

All said and done they were trying hard to promote cricket in USA. Pakistan has promoted like no other in USA. :)

Cricinfo App has something called Fan Rating. i checked pakistan players were rated by fans

Avge fan rating for each player by fans (out of 10)

Pakistan 3.1

Rizwan 3.1
Babar 4.6
Usman 2.3
Fakhar 2.8
Shadab 5.2
Azam khan 1.7
Iftikar 2.8
Shaheen 4.0
Haris 3.0
Naseem 4.9
Amir 4.0

Only Shadab is rated above 5. Collective failure.

Wow!! What a day! A really historic achievement for the USA team. Watched the whole game live and a great match. The most amazing day for me in the USA cricket history. Never thought I would witness this epic day. Honestly it all got very emotional at the end. Seeing your home team win against all odds against a former WC winning team- will cherish this memory for a long long time!!🎊🎆

Partying this weekend celebrating the win ! Full of exciting emotions now! Hope we go on to beat ind and Ireland and go to super 8 stage. Still a long long shot to beat ind but we can dewam I guess just like before today's game. Was surprised at the way USA played. Didn't seem to be like an associate nation playing. They actually dominated 90 per cent of the game. Only some nerves at the end slowed them down. Honesty they should have finished it by 19th over itself. But they held their nerve and composure though... still in ecstasy land!! Great day day for USA cricket and USA supporters!!👊🎇

Too early to judge Kirsten right now. Needs some time before he begins making tough calls.

Wow!! What a day! A really historic achievement for the USA team. Watched the whole game live and a great match. The most amazing day for me in the USA cricket history. Never thought I would witness this epic day. Honestly it all got very emotional at the end. Seeing your home team win against all odds against a former WC winning team- will cherish this memory for a long long time!!🎊🎆

Partying this weekend celebrating the win ! Full of exciting emotions now! Hope we go on to beat ind and Ireland and go to super 8 stage. Still a long long shot to beat ind but we can dewam I guess just like before today's game. Was surprised at the way USA played. Didn't seem to be like an associate nation playing. They actually dominated 90 per cent of the game. Only some nerves at the end slowed them down. Honesty they should have finished it by 19th over itself. But they held their nerve and composure though... still in ecstasy land!! Great day day for USA cricket and USA supporters!!👊🎇
It was a ton of fun today. Huge games next week vs India and Ireland, we only need 1 win to go to a super over, but if we play the way you did today against India the chances are there. I can surely say one thing though...
India may have more talent than us, more skill, more poise, but there isn't a chance in heck they will outwork us. They better have their guard up because this USA team believes in itself and each other.

What a performance by USA, history created by USA by beating Pakistan … Mumbaikar Netravalkar shines…..

Congratulations USA!!!

It was a ton of fun today. Huge games next week vs India and Ireland, we only need 1 win to go to a super over, but if we play the way you did today against India the chances are there. I can surely say one thing though...
India may have more talent than us, more skill, more poise, but there isn't a chance in heck they will outwork us. They better have their guard up because this USA team believes in itself and each other.
Yeah a memorable game. Just need one more win to to the next stage. But yes beating Ind would be a huge morale booster and will make the USA believe they belong at the international stage. And will also give them great visibility and eyeballs because any Ind game garners the most eyeballs. It's going to be a cracker jacker of a game if USA turns up and upsets the calculations 👍

Yeah a memorable game. Just need one more win to to the next stage. But yes beating Ind would be a huge morale booster and will make the USA believe they belong at the international stage. And will also give them great visibility and eyeballs because any Ind game garners the most eyeballs. It's going to be a cracker jacker of a game if USA turns up and upsets the calculations 👍

I would love that. The only problem is the twitter trolls who will try to make it like cricket is some kind of easy game because it might start threatening baseball because you beat the biggest team in cricket.

Right now I just want Pakistan to shape up, spend the next few days working, and beat India. Yes, I still believe it's possible, especially with that ridiculously bowling-favored pitch.

The USA played better cricket. It was not Pakistan's fault TBH. It was the USA's brilliance in the field and their FULL-OF-SENSE batting that won them this game. Deserved it. Well done.

Babar made wrong choices as usual. No hopes from this team.
I watched the match on TV. Really it was unbelievable to see the way USA didn’t let Pakistan dictate the game for the most part. In patches their inexperience showed up but they held their nerve in the end. I hope US beats India too and top the group. That would be shock of all time that USA topping the group.

Level headed words from the USA captain. Am kind of impressed with his mature statement that he gave ::

Source - ESPN

After their win over Pakistan, USA captain Monank Patel said they should have finished the game in the regular time instead of taking it to the Super Over.

Chasing 160, USA needed 56 from the last seven overs with Monank and Andries Gous well set. But Monank got out on the very next ball, allowing Pakistan to make a comeback and tie the game.

"When I got out, we were still in the game," Monank said after the match, "and I thought we should have finished the game and we should have never gone to Super Over. But the way we kept our nerves and in the Super Over particularly, scoring 18 runs itself gave us a big upper hand to defend the target "

Apart from those last few overs, everything else went as per the plan for USA, right from winning the toss.

"The plan was to win the toss and bowl first," Monank said. "And we knew initially first half an hour it would help pace bowlers and the way we kept them quiet and took the crucial wickets in the powerplay, it helped really well. And yeah, 160 on this wicket with one side short boundary, I felt we were always in the game."

For the Super Over, USA went with left-arm seamer Saurabh Netravalkar instead of Ali Khan, who is arguably more used to bowling at the death. It proved to be the right choice as Netravalkar conceded only 13.

"The plan was we wanted to make sure that we utilise the conditions," Monank said. "And the condition was a left-arm bowler bowling cutters and wide yorkers with left-arm over angle going out. Ali Khan usually attacks the stumps, but we wanted to make sure that we make them play outside off stump. And for a left-armer, the angle helps. Saurabh had had a good day, and I backed him."

Before the World Cup, USA had beaten Bangladesh 2-1 in a three-match home T20I series. In the World Cup opener, they beat Canada and now have two wins in two games. Their remaining matches are against India and Ireland. One more victory will put them in contention for the Super 8. But Monank is not thinking too far ahead.

"We know what we have worked and what capability we have," he said. "And we just focus on the particular game. And we don't want to keep our emotions too high or low. We'll make sure that whatever the win today is, we'll enjoy it and make sure that next day we come fresh.

"We want to focus on one game at a time. And our focus would be on playing against India now. We don't even want to think about the Ireland right now. Super 8 is far ahead."

But Monank agreed beating Pakistan was a big achievement that could open many doors for them.

"I am happy with the win, playing against Pakistan for the first time in the World Cup and beating them it was an unbelievable performance from our side," he said. "So yeah, I would say it's a big day for Team USA and for the USA cricket community too.

"Of course, beating Pakistan in the World Cup is going to open many doors for us. Obviously hosting the World Cup in USA and performing here as a team, it helps us to grow the cricket in USA."

Relax guys, with Pak bowling 140 would be more than enough for USA team aka NRI patel 11 team.
Pak bowling is the worst these days if they are losing to C teams and associates. All of their fitness is dodgy

PCB and Babar ruined their fitness by playing them in every match and no rest

Relax guys, Argentina also was beaten by KSA in last year FIFA WC and went on to win the WC for their best man Messi.
We have a chance!!

The team that lost against Ireland was a decent team, full of great players (see attached)...the current squad is one of the worst I have seen
you are comparing ODI team with T20 team. Obviously they were better on paper in ODI cricket.

While speaking to local Indian sports media outlet, Wasim Akram has lambasted Pakistan for their pathetic performance against the USA while going down in the Super Over and said it will be tough for Babar Azam's side to progress to the T20 World Cup knockouts:

"Pakistan will struggle from here onwards to qualify for the Super Eight because they have to play India (on June 9) and two more good teams (Ireland and Canada)."

"The turning point of the game...the way USA got early wickets. Pakistan had a little partnership between Babar and Shadab and then nobody turned up. The fielding was below average, the overall cricket by Pakistan was average."

"While playing against USA, I was confident, every Pakistan supporter was confident that they will win after the way they played in the first innings."

"In the second innings, they (USA) came out to chase...I mean getting 19 runs in the Super Over is like getting 36 runs in a Super Over. Well done USA."

"The moment of the day for me was the innings of USA captain Monank Patel, the way he batted...carried his bat."

"The way he used his suit as in he led from the front. Their fielding was spot-on every time, and very impressive cricket from the USA."

Shoaib Akhtar was left shattered by the outcome, he said in an Instagram video:

"Very disappointing loss for Pakistan. Didn't offer good start. Losing to USA… we created [unwanted] history like we did against Bangladesh in the 1999 World Cup. Unfortunately, Pakistan never deserved to win. Reason why USA played extremely well. They were in a commanding position. Amir saved the match. He and Shaheen tried. Unfortunately, we couldn't pull it off."

Kamran Akmal said on his YouTube channel:

"The biggest insult for Pakistan cricket is losing the game in the Super Over. There can't be a bigger insult than this. The USA played exceptionally well. They didn't feel like a low-ranked side. It felt like they were ranked above Pakistan. That is the level of maturity they showed."

I know we're all dejected after yesterday's shocking loss to the USA in the T20 World Cup. Losing to a minnow in a World Cup is unacceptable. However, the surprising thing is that Pakistan has been losing one game to a minnow in every World Cup tournament for the past three tournaments or so. This is a shocking statistic.

We're all aware of the problems plaguing Pakistan cricket right now. This thread is to prioritize the main problems so that our emotions don't spend too much time on lower-priority issues.

Significant problems:

1. Politics, friendship, and influence in the Pakistan team: The PCB lacks an authority figure who can make decisions based on merit. We need someone who can hold everyone accountable and make correct decisions.

2. Accountability, bench strength, focus on domestic cricket, and cricketing reasons for selections: Most selections seem driven by non-cricketing reasons. We need to focus on domestic cricket and select players based on their performance, not influence or celebrity status.

3. Roles in the team and think tank: The PCB should hire someone who understands the game and can pass on relevant messages. Gary Kirsten could be an option, but he needs more authority than just being a face in the dugout.

Medium/low-risk problems:

1. Batting order: The Babar-Rizwan opening duo hasn't worked in the past two World Cups, so it's time to change it. One of them should bat lower at number three to ensure we play full 20 overs.

2. Where is our spinner?: The constant omission of Abrar from the playing XI is perplexing. We need a genuine spinner, not spin all-rounders.

3. Fielding, field placements, dropped shoulders, lack of motivation: Our players seem disinterested and stressed. We need a motivational speaker to bring out the best in them.

From a neutral point of view, this team is a collection of individuals, not a united team. Until we focus on team glory over individual glory, we won't achieve success.

I know we all are dejected after the shock loss to USA yesterday in T20WC. Of all tournaments in the world losing to a minnow in WC is absolutely not on. However the surprising thing in here is that Pakistan is actually losing one game to a minnow every world tournament for the past 3 tournaments or so, this is a shocking stat.

We all are aware of the problems eating up on Pakistan cricket at the moment. This thread is to prioritise the main problems so that our emotions don't end up spending more time on issues that are lower in priority list. I'm suggesting the priority list as follows: significant and medium/low risk problems where significant needs to be addressed at earliest.

Significant problems:

1. Politics / friendship / influence in Pakistan team: At the moment PCB does not have an authority figure that can end up taking decisions on merit. We have Naqvi blabbing and passing statements with little to no effect on anyone, Wahab acting like a boss in PCB (small man for a big office and results are horrible) and Babar living rent free in his head as captaincy (the guy is absolutely clueless and have no plans whatsoever). To help Pakistan cricket grow we need an authority figure in PCB that can actually hold everyone accountable and on whom we believe to end up taking correct decisions on merit. Not many names come to mind but I would not mind having Misbah as team director, or Hafeez with utmost authority in PCB. The reason I suggest names of Misbah and Hafeez is largely because they had a principled career with no significant controversies and to be honest they are recent players and don't have dinosaur thinking like most officials in PCB.

2. Accountability / bench strength / focus on domestic / cricketing reasons for selections: At the moment I personally believe most of the selections are driven by non-cricketing reasons behind them. Azam Khan having social media influence or hangs out with celebs would have pushed his selection from influence. Shadab, Hasan and Haris have zero accountability over their performances. Quite literally these lads have zero performances and also zero performance in domestic to warrant a continued selection. Imad and Amir literally selected to avoid backlash or them bad mouthing in media in case of non-selection. Usman Khan selected literally after just a handful of PSL games, at least let the guy perform consistently in domestic to ensure he is not one tournament wonder. I have literally listed almost entire XI here now imagine if these many names didn't had any major cricketing reason behind their selection then how can you expect them to do better on cricketing grounds.
Add to above further we have Abrar who is legit our ace spinner and yet the guy is due to represent Pakistan in a game of importance for almost 2 years that included a WC in subcontinent where he wasn't selected at all. Zaman Khan and Mohammad Wasim have been doing the donkey work for this team as a filler in these embarrassing moment yet they are easy targets to sacrifice. Abdullah Shafique is next big thing in out batting yet struggles to find space above guys like Azam Khan. We have selected Irfan Niazi in meaningless games but was discarded for no reason (btw this guy is an ace fielder something which can help this idiot team). Mohammad Haris is a legit difference maker in T20s yet politics mean he shouldn't be in the team. Maybe if we correct these basic things we can be a principled team that can help us progress.

3. Roles in the team / Think tank: The least PCB can do is hire anyone literally from any nationality who can understand the game and pass on relevant messages. Gary Kirsten is one such person but he needs to have more authority than just be a face in dugout. I distinctly remember Gary passing message immediately in last over of Haris Rauf when catch was dropped by Shaheen suggesting to Babar that Haris is bowling full its best option to have long off rather than mid-off as that is where likely ball is suppose to go at that length. Babar being clueless disregarded that advice and lo and behold where did final ball go for boundary? correct over mid-off. Stupid people taking important decision will result in failure. Authoritative and on merit persons taking such decisions might yield better results.

Medium / low risk problems:

1. Batting order: Its now quite evident that Babar + Rizwan as opening duo hasn't worked for Pakistan in the past 2 world cups so why will it work now? One of them has to bat lower at 3 just to ensure we end up playing full 20 overs and not get bowled out or have Shaheen in the middle by 15th over. Imagine any nation not able to bat 20 overs what level of failure is that. Shadab batting at 5, Shaheen always in the middle by 15 overs. Usman, Azam and Ifti are similar as non-existent cricketers. Everything about our batting just sucks and the worst part is on our best days we are a team not capable of scoring 175+. This means on our best days our batters will still set us up for failures.

2. Where is our spinner: I'm quite perplexed at the constant omission of Abrar from playing XI. We are repeating the same mistakes which is to play 2 spin all rounders i.e. Shadab + Nawaz now Shadab + Imad rather than playing one genuine spinner. Every team has a genuine fielder in their team and Pakistan of all teams should be aware as to how crucial it is to have a full time spinner playing for them. Yet we end up in a situation where we hope that our spin allrounders would give us some runs with bat and ball decent and we end up losing on both grounds yet we repeat our mistake.

3. Fielding, field placements, dropped shoulders, lack of motivation: What are our boys doing in the middle? There is absolutely no one in yesterday's game that seemed interested in the game and wanted to bring out the best. There was a lot of shouting, finger pointing, dropped heads. It seemed players were simply mentally stunned. For god's sake act like a top team and start believing in yourself. The players are more stressed about what is going to happen post game whilst in the middle playing. We need some sort of motivational speaker who can at least bring the best out of this poor bunch.

Lastly from a neutral point of view this is a bunch of individual packaged together as a team yet we are expecting team results from them. When you are an individual and not part of the team your focus is always on individual glory and not team glory. As long as individuals dominate our cricket setup there will be lack of success for the team.
Misbah as team director is suicide. He's the one who groomed Bobby as captain, established the ba/riz opening pair and creating the dosti yaari culture.

Chacha was an absolute nobody and wasn't even a centrally contracted player before 2020 but ended up randomly coming back and is now considered as the best finisher ever.

And misbah had multiple controversies and outbursts in interviews. Infact chacha and fakhar opening in superover was a move made by misbah years ago that caused us to lose against Zimbabwe. He was rightfully sacked.

As much as people don't like the answer, YK is the best solution irrespective of Oathgate. He's the only one who can actually keep ego's in check but talking back to him means he'll drag you through the mud with a knife to your throat.

The 2nd option and most likely option is hafeez.

Misbah as team director is suicide. He's the one who groomed Bobby as captain, established the ba/riz opening pair and creating the dosti yaari culture.

Chacha was an absolute nobody and wasn't even a centrally contracted player before 2020 but ended up randomly coming back and is now considered as the best finisher ever.

And misbah had multiple controversies and outbursts in interviews. Infact chacha and fakhar opening in superover was a move made by misbah years ago that caused us to lose against Zimbabwe. He was rightfully sacked.

As much as people don't like the answer, YK is the best solution irrespective of Oathgate. He's the only one who can actually keep ego's in check but talking back to him means he'll drag you through the mud with a knife to your throat.

The 2nd option and most likely option is hafeez.
As for me, the only thing that can prop Pakistan cricket out of this mess is someone controversy free with good cricketing intellectual at the helm. I personally believe Misbah is a good choice for that role, hell even Hafeez might be a decent shout. As they say in corporate culture setting the tone at the top helps cascade the message down for everyone. This is exactly what we need right now.

Yesterday's match was one of the worst Pakistan's match I have ever seen. If we play like this, soon China will also defeat us. Babar's captaincy was as usual terrible but there are dark factors need to be considered which are follows:::

1. Expired Players: Both Ifti, Imad (didn't play) and Amir finished long ago but genius Naqvi wanted them in the squad.

2. Parchi Player: Azam Khan is not an international material but keep getting selected because of his Father Moin.

3. Not an international material: Sorry to both Saim and Usman are not international material to start with due to lack of technique and game awareness.

4. Internal Feud/grouping: This one is disturbing. Both Shaheen, Amir, Imad and Rizwan are against Babar and wanted him to fail. We can see how poor was Rizwan, Shaheen and Amir recently.

5. Shadab has lost his bowling: Shadab is still a good fielder and decent batsman but bowling wise he is lost.

6. Kristen's non-existent input: He is reminding me Micky 2.0. Posing for camera, looks serious and do nothing. He was agree to sent Ifti as a hitter and Shadab as 1 down where Fakhar didn't even face 1 ball. He allowed parchi Burger boy Azam in playing 11.

7. Persisting with Haris: This guy is finished long ago, giving away loads of runs for last 2 year but still acknowledged as Death over bowler.

8. Shaheen the Ring Leader: This guy is the main culprit and stabbing Babar's back for last 2 year ie dropping catches, giving freebies, wasting balls in batting... creating his own group

9. Persisting with non-performers and hoping they will perform: Pathetic attitude from Babar to keep selecting players he likes than players who deserve.

10. Poor captaincy: Babar as usual is lack of communication skills and dull leader to lead a playing 11 and always fail in batting in pressure matches.

11. Naqvi the shrewd/good for nothing guy: This guy is even worse than Zaka in terms of management. All he cares is making money from PCB, do photoshoot and encourage division.

12. Bunch of Clowns as Selectors: Wahab, Yousuf. Razzak and Shafiq are just not fit for the job and don't have any clue of their job. They select players as parchi quota, captain's liking..

Your opinion please!!!!!!!

I actually wonder if Kirstens (perceived) lack of input is intentional.

Look hes not stupid and I imagine he has picked up very quickly on the things we all know about this squad. He also knows that true change can't happen without failures. As someone who has just come into the setup his is possibly not the most powerful voice in the Pakistan set up (which itself is somewhat an insult to his pedigree). I'm hoping he is using this tournament to keep status quo so that after it has concluded he has grounds to make some wholesale changes.

Maybe????

How it can be called an upset...
After all a minnow team has been defeated by another minnow team...

So minnows defeating another minnows can not be called an upset

Back