Usman Khan barred from participation in Emirates Cricket Board events for 5 years [Update on post# 183]

mominsaigol

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
This man has clearly been the highlight of this year's psl, and with confirmation that he still has a pakistani passport and is willing to play for wherever destiny takes him either Uae or Pakistan,

Is Usman khan our answer to finding a reliable opener across all formats? Given his red hot form?

Our current options including fakhar who's inconsistent, Saim who seems to be extremely raw, Babar and rizwan who struggle with slow SR and Babar has always been a better no 3 anyway, Shan who's the ultimate failure,

Is usman Khan Pakistan's answer to an established international opener? Or will he go down the azam khan route aka only being a franchise cricket wonder and a failure in the international circuit?

This man has clearly been the highlight of this year's psl, and with confirmation that he still has a pakistani passport and is willing to play for wherever destiny takes him either Uae or Pakistan,

Is Usman khan our answer to finding a reliable opener across all formats? Given his red hot form?

Our current options including fakhar who's inconsistent, Saim who seems to be extremely raw, Babar and rizwan who struggle with slow SR and Babar has always been a better no 3 anyway, Shan who's the ultimate failure,

Is usman Khan Pakistan's answer to an established international opener? Or will he go down the azam khan route aka only being a franchise cricket wonder and a failure in the international circuit?
If you have an idiot like Hafeez running the show,

Usman Khan will bat at 7 and Haseebullah will open

He has said clearly he has no interest in playing for Pakistan and wants to play for UAE only.

We need to respect his decision and move on.

He has said clearly he has no interest in playing for Pakistan and wants to play for UAE only.

We need to respect his decision and move on.
No he has not said that loool

Keep up. He hasn’t decided what he wants to do.

Why is he playing in Overseas quota for Multan then?
Good question, the PSL technical committee should answer this. It’s mainly because he did say last year that he intends on representing UAE, so he was on the move to UAE like Conway moved to New Zealand from South Africa.

However, that doesn’t mean he currently isn’t eligible for Pakistan. He holds a Pakistani passport only atm. He can play for Pakistan tomorrow, and that will be the end of his pursuit of representing UAE. Unless of course he restarts this process in the future sometime

In all formats?

Talk about going over the top!

If he is still available for Pak, then definitely in the T20 side.

Given the fact that UAE doesn't give nationality what is the criteria for trying to qualify to play for them?

It must just be a residency requirement of some sort. There still must be a chance for him.

Pakistan brought Qadir back after he said he wanted to play for Australia. Maybe this guy was trying something similar?

According to Ian Biship, Usman said he is open to playing for Pakistan or the UAE. He will play wherever he gets selected. He is promising, and I hope he is given a chance to play a T20 series so we can see how he goes against quality international bowling

According to Ian Biship, Usman said he is open to playing for Pakistan or the UAE. He will play wherever he gets selected. He is promising, and I hope he is given a chance to play a T20 series so we can see how he goes against quality international bowling
Usman changed his view recently

I personally think the PCB are in talks with him behind the scenes

It's a lot of pressure. If he fails he will get discarded and it's difficult to requalify for the UAE.

If the PCB really want him they need to come to the table with a good offer.

If we lose him then who knows UAE could become like England was for Kolpak South Africans. They can play for the UAE and play the ILT20 and Abu Dhabi T10 etc.

Good question, the PSL technical committee should answer this. It’s mainly because he did say last year that he intends on representing UAE, so he was on the move to UAE like Conway moved to New Zealand from South Africa.

However, that doesn’t mean he currently isn’t eligible for Pakistan. He holds a Pakistani passport only atm. He can play for Pakistan tomorrow, and that will be the end of his pursuit of representing UAE. Unless of course he restarts this process in the future sometime
Sounds like a technical blunder by the technical committee.

Does he lose his UAE eligibility if he plays for Pakistan national side? If so he might decide whether to not go for it.

In UAE side he could play a long time and and also leagues through the year. In Pakistan side , his selection isnt guaranteed and expectations are much higher

Just saw a post saying he is deliberately avoiding playing for Pakistan & preferring to play for UAE so as to be eligible for IPL in future

Not sure if its true but given financial implications , you can never rule it out. Azhar Mehmood did something similar few years back

Just saw a post saying he is deliberately avoiding playing for Pakistan & preferring to play for UAE so as to be eligible for IPL in future

Not sure if its true but given financial implications , you can never rule it out. Azhar Mehmood did something similar few years back
He is delusional if he thinks he can get picked for the IPL.

Due to his age, Pakistani baggage and lack of experience and exposure, he is never going to be shortlisted in the 30 overseas players bracket.

He is a total fool if he is rejecting the chance of playing for Pakistan because of IPL ambitions.

One should aim high but not so high.

why on earth would he play for Pakistan

1. he was ignored by the system for years, he knows the system is bent
2. if he has UAE residence hes virtually guaranteed selection in the ILT20 (this is huge, he could be dropped from psl on a whim)
3. UAE residence opens likelihood of playing for an IPL team, he already plays for a team with indian owners

there is no logic in playing for Pakistan, of course he'll leave it open, he doesnt want to antagonise local fans.

2. if he has UAE residence hes virtually guaranteed selection in the ILT20 (this is huge, he could be dropped from psl on a whim)
3. UAE residence opens likelihood of playing for an IPL team, he already plays for a team with indian owners

there is no logic in playing for Pakistan, of course he'll leave it open, he doesnt want to antagonise local fans.

He cant play for IPL. UAE doesnt give you nationality so he will have a Pakistani passport. And its an unwritten rule that Pakistan nationals wont be picked by the teams.

UAE is not a well growing cricket country in my opinion, what they have to offer other than that ILT20 league? so i think he might join Pakistan cricket in future.

Pretty sure uae doesn't give you pr unless your filthy rich and I mean billionaire Level rich, they don't even give multi millionaires and celebrities residency, they just give work visa's, usman Khan is stuck with a pakistani passport unless he decided to go to another country like Australia or UK.

There is almost a desperation for him to play for Pakistan by posters.

Which is almost funny because the moment he fails at international, the fans will be baying for his blood.

Why would he go through the stress of this emotional upheaval and declare his allegiance to Pakistan ?

Which is almost funny because the moment he fails at international, the fans will be baying for his blood.

Why would he go through the stress of this emotional upheaval and declare his allegiance to Pakistan ?
Dr sahib, only you can answer the questions you asked.

But you got a point, uae is a more prosperous endveour

PCB better offer him a lucrative contract to force his hand

That makes no sense to me.

At best, he is a probable potential for Pakistan who can change the game dynamics; at worst he can be like Azam Khan; domestic bullying but unable to translate his PSL form into international arena.

If he gets a Category A contract based on potential, all the category B and C players would wonder why they aren't given such a lucrative contract despite ACTUALLY being a part of Pakistani team. That would be a logical grievance that you have to earn your way to the top based on real-life performances.

Rewards should always be proportionate to ability and performance in international arena and not be given out of desperation and domestic potential.

He should be offered a tier C contract with a clause saying that if he starts performing there is a fast track to level B and level A (6 months + 6 months).

This way, PCB won't end up being embarrassed if after being offered to a category A contract he flops like Umar Akmal or Azam Khan.

So?

This applies to every player who plays international cricket. You have to perform and if you don’t, fans will criticize you and demand you to be dropped.

It is part of the job. Why should a Usman be exempt from it? If every player thinks this this way, no one would want to play international cricket.

If Usman is so soft that he cannot handle this pressure and responsibility, then he did well to choose to play for an associate nation.

So?

This applies to every player who plays international cricket. You have to perform and if you don’t, fans will criticize you and demand you to be dropped.

It is part of the job. Why should a Usman be exempt from it? If every player thinks this this way, no one would want to play international cricket.

If Usman is so soft that he cannot handle this pressure and responsibility, then he did well to choose to play for an associate nation.

I was talking about the "desperation" part.

Is he really that good that people want him playing for us?

I am very clear on how he should be approached.

Tier C contract.

Tier C contract.
If I speak for myself, the desperation is more of a curiosity to see if he can replicate his PSL performances in T20Is and perhaps even ODIs.

If he cannot replicate it and gets exposed, so be it. He is a low risk investment for Pakistan anyway.

Tier C contract.
My post wasn't desperate, I can't speak for others, but from the comments I've read I haven't seen anyone show any signs of desperation.

Whenever theirs a psl, and someone performs its natural for everyone to be curious and see how they perform and if they can become a future star for Pakistan.

Saim ayub and haris and couple of years back had similar posts about them to see if they can become future superstars for Pakistan.

People made posts about azam Khan as well but he eventually got exposed in international.

We're just curious to see if his psl form is replicable in international as he's been the breakout star in this tournament. I dont see anyone being desperate or anything, no comment claimed that he is our saviour and solved our problems, the OP post itself is a question not an answer. Hence the term future star for Pakistan?

My post wasn't desperate, I can't speak for others, but from the comments I've read I haven't seen anyone show any signs of desperation.

Whenever theirs a psl, and someone performs its natural for everyone to be curious and see how they perform and if they can become a future star for Pakistan.

Saim ayub and haris and couple of years back had similar posts about them to see if they can become future superstars for Pakistan.

People made posts about azam Khan as well but he eventually got exposed in international.

We're just curious to see if his psl form is replicable in international as he's been the breakout star in this tournament. I dont see anyone being desperate or anything, no comment claimed that he is our saviour and solved our problems, the OP post itself is a question not an answer. Hence the term future star for Pakistan?

Desperation is the fact that he was looking for UAE contract and we want to suddenly pull him for Pakistan.

Nothing wrong in it.

But I hope, there is money where people's mouths are about this.

Otherwise you are depriving someone who will probably have a better career in UAE national team than in Pakistan national team.

Desperation is the fact that he was looking for UAE contract and we want to suddenly pull him for Pakistan.

Nothing wrong in it.

But I hope, there is money where people's mouths are about this.

Otherwise you are depriving someone who will probably have a better career in UAE national team than in Pakistan national team.
Brother, I am not depriving anyone, I am not his family, father, brother etc, I have no control over any of his decisions. What he decides to do is upto him.

Me wanting him to play doesn't mean that he should if he doesn't feel like it.

Usman khan said that he will go wherever destiny takes him, be it Pakistan or uae, the choice is upto him.

This is just a post asking a question and feeding into people's curiosity on if his success is replicable, same with saim ayub, haris, azam Khan etc etc a couple years back,

You're making it seems as if we're his family forcefully manipulating him to stay in Pakistan and do our bidding, I don't have his twitter or Instagram and even if I did, why would I contact him for anything other then a picture I can share on social media? When I met bismah maroof irl, I just asked her for a picture so I can put it on my Instagram, I didn't have a philosophy talk with her on her captaincy tactics lol.

It's just a question mate speaking curiosity, not a secret ploy, I don't got that much power.

Brother, I am not depriving anyone, I am not his family, father, brother etc, I have no control over any of his decisions. What he decides to do is upto him.

Me wanting him to play doesn't mean that he should if he doesn't feel like it.

Usman khan said that he will go wherever destiny takes him, be it Pakistan or uae, the choice is upto him.

This is just a post asking a question and feeding into people's curiosity on if his success is replicable, same with saim ayub, haris, azam Khan etc etc a couple years back,

You're making it seems as if we're his family forcefully manipulating him to stay in Pakistan and do our bidding, I don't have his twitter or Instagram and even if I did, why would I contact him for anything other then a picture I can share on social media? When I met bismah maroof irl, I just asked her for a picture so I can put it on my Instagram, I didn't have a philosophy talk with her on her captaincy tactics lol.

It's just a question mate speaking curiosity, not a secret ploy, I don't got that much power.
I am not singling you out.

Sorry if you feel that way.

My point was we always end up admiring and chasing after Pakistani cricketers who are unavailable.

Aka Imran Tahir, Sikander Raza, Amir, now Usman Khan etc.

I have just noticed a strange trend.

That's all.

I am not singling you out.

Sorry if you feel that way.

My point was we always end up admiring and chasing after Pakistani cricketers who are unavailable.

Aka Imran Tahir, Sikander Raza, Amir, now Usman Khan etc.

I have just noticed a strange trend.

That's all.
Pretty sure imran tahir, sikandar raza were playing for opposition teams. The difference is usman Khan has a pakistani passport and uae doesn't give pr unless you're a billionaire or the son of a rich sheikh so he has a permanent pakistani passport. The others don't, they have a Zimbabwe or a sa passport.

As for Amir, he isn't available anymore I agree.

I quite like his striking but it seems in multiple interviews he stated that his dream was to play for the UAE, not for Pakistan. He’s been really impressive in the PSL, but there’s been plenty of amazing league performers around the world who don’t have their skills transfer to international cricket. If he made it clear he wanted to play for Pakistan he could probably get a shot before the WC this year.

Hope whatever he chooses works out for him.

Also I believe that to play for the UAE’s Cricket Team you just have to fulfill the ICC’s residency requirements which I believe is residing in a country for 3 years before you can be selected. Multiple Pakistani born players have played for the UAE National Team and many are even on the team currently.

Sorry for the repeated posts but I suppose the important question to ask is whether his current residency in the UAE would require that 3 year timer to reset if he were to return to play for Pakistan. It’s very possible that he would have to fulfill the ICC requirement of residing in Pakistan for 3 years before he becomes available for selection in the Pakistani national team.

I will try to dig into the ICC laws later today and find out where it stands on this matter.

Sorry for the repeated posts but I suppose the important question to ask is whether his current residency in the UAE would require that 3 year timer to reset if he were to return to play for Pakistan. It’s very possible that he would have to fulfill the ICC requirement of residing in Pakistan for 3 years before he becomes available for selection in the Pakistani national team.

I will try to dig into the ICC laws later today and find out where it stands on this matter.

That seems unlikely.

This would be for someone whose passport is different to the residence country.

You would always be allowed to play for your country provided you didn't recently play for a different one.

A gem 💎 of a player, PCB needs to approach him fast
=====
Usman Khan's press conference yesterday:

"Multan management is really good and they always you back you up. And you know about Rizwan bhai, he takes care of us as a family. Never thought anything about my three centuries in 14 matches. I just always focus on playing positive cricket. No, never thought about making a hundred in Pindi or Lahore. Played well in Pindi because the wicket is good here and will try to perform the same way in the matches ahead"

(On question of getting any call or contact from PCB after recent great PSL tournament)

"No, not yet. Please restrict your questions to PSL only"

The guy does not want to play for Pakistan, i don't understand the shameless obsession of pakistanis with player clearly don't have any desire to play for Pakistan or in Pakistan for that matter(especially journalists)

Due to his age, Pakistani baggage and lack of experience and exposure, he is never going to be shortlisted in the 30 overseas players bracket.

He is a total fool if he is rejecting the chance of playing for Pakistan because of IPL ambitions.

In the first place, he will not be eligible to play in the IPL with a Pakistani passport, even if he plays for the UAE instead of Pakistan and scores tons of runs. The IPL has a strict policy against selecting any Pakistani players holding Pakistani passports. Only if he obtains a UAE passport (although this is unrealistic) or acquires British or American citizenship, will he be able to play in the IPL.

It's insane if you think he will play for Pak because if he plays for Pak then again he has to wait for 3 years in order to qualify for UAE national team and suppose he get selected in Pak team and given 5 matches and suppose he doesn't do good in them , then what? he will be dropped from the team and still be needing 3 years in order to qualify for UAE again.

Let him be he’ll just turn into Asif Ifty Kushdil Masood when putting on Pak colours!!

As per reports, The PCB selectors have confirmed that Usman has indeed put up an excellent performance in the PSL but cannot be selected for the Pakistan national team as Usman has moved to UAE and is no longer eligible for national team representation. Therefore, he cannot be considered for selection in national team.

As per reports, The PCB selectors have confirmed that Usman has indeed put up an excellent performance in the PSL but cannot be selected for the Pakistan national team as Usman has moved to UAE and is no longer eligible for national team representation. Therefore, he cannot be considered for selection in national team.
Damn, well ig alls lost then, its a shame

T
Damn, well ig alls lost then, its a shame
Well at least the Legend can continue to live on.

Don't see it happening. I don't think it's that easy to switch. There's no guarantee it will work out at international level, so it's a risk he has to take, forfeiting his life in UAE. He's not exactly young either, he's 28 which isn't old, but its in the prime of your career, you don't exactly want to mess up earning opportunities and struggle in later life. He also will only play T20s I imagine, he has hardly any experience in the other two formats. It's probably not worth it. I'd just look to maximise earnings from leagues at this point and play in UAE. If you get the Pakistani call up at this point, fail and get discarded, it'll probably hurt his interest from the leagues on top.

This though kind of highlights the importance of PSL. These sort of talents can get highlighted. If maybe PSL was more of a thing in the past, maybe he wouldn't have changed to UAE in the first place. Also why I think we should have more teams in the PSL even if it makes the standard a bit weaker. It would help us uncover guys like Usman before it was too late.

Tier C contract.

It depends on what you mean by "that good". If you are judging him by international superstar standards, then no. If you are judging him by Pakistani standards, then yes.

Another good start for MS provided by Usman Khan. Can he score big today too? Make your score predictions for him. Currently at 15*(11).

How has he never been selected for UAE?

Personally speaking, I don't think he's that good. Because if he was he would have had the guts to tough it out and earn his place by performing in domestic cricket. Instead of taking the easy way out and trying to represent an associate nation.

Being a good T20 cricketer and being a good cricketer are not the same thing. And these days that difference needs to be stated more than ever.

How has he never been selected for UAE?

Personally speaking, I don't think he's that good. Because if he was he would have had the guts to tough it out and earn his place by performing in domestic cricket. Instead of taking the easy way out and trying to represent an associate nation.

Being a good T20 cricketer and being a good cricketer are not the same thing. And these days that difference needs to be stated more than ever.
The drama of Pakistan missed out on an exceptional talent will be over soon. No way this guy is international material. He's a spin basher and a very good one at that. Can barely play the fast bowlers in front of the wicket.

The drama of Pakistan missed out on an exceptional talent will be over soon. No way this guy is international material. He's a spin basher and a very good one at that. Can barely play the fast bowlers in front of the wicket.
Angoor khatey to nhi?

I don't like how usman was shuffling the crease yesterday, he seemed unsteady, he'll get exposed by quality spinners like chinaman if he shuffles like this.

Remind me why he left Pakistan? I am just stating a fact he will be exposed in international cricket. There is no way this guy will succeed against the top bowlers.

If the criteria is to succeed vs top bowlers even heroes like Babar and Rizwan suck.

What is their record vs top teams in ICC events / KO matches?
What is their record in SENA (Test matches)?
Please advise?
Babar averages 52 in 50 overs world cup while Rizwan averages 65.

Babar averages 35 in t20 world cups with Sr of 114 which is awful. Rizwan averages 41 with sr of 120.

Rizwan averages 43 with the bat in SENA which is better than most of our great batsmens let alone any wk.

Babar averages 43 in tests in SENA too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Babar averages 35 in t20 world cups with Sr of 114 which is awful. Rizwan averages 41 with sr of 120.

Rizwan averages 43 with the bat in SENA which is better than most of our great batsmens let alone any wk.

Just look at the performances of Babar in the last 2 WCs (wich are ODI WC and T20 WC) that alone should show you he is an average bat. Also in Aus he failed multiple times when all he had to do is spend some time at the wicket during the last tour. The WC game vs India really exposed how pathetic they are and the limitations they have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just look at the performances of Babar in the last 2 WCs (wich are ODI WC and T20 WC) that alone should show you he is an average bat. Also in Aus he failed multiple times when all he had to do is spend some time at the wicket during the last tour. The WC game vs India really exposed how pathetic they are and the limitations they have.
You asked for their stats I gave you the stats and now you are focusing on 1 particular tournament.

As I have said find better players than them and drop them I have no problem with that. Can you give me better players than them?

Babar was shocking in the tests in Australia and not for the first time. What about rizwan twice he's been one of our best batters there. Oh I guess Cummins etc are minnow level bowlers.

Pakistan is scraping the barrel if they are looking for players in minnow nations to play for them.

Rizwan has been the only Pakistani batsman I’ve seen so far that has close to matching Babars performance over all three formats. A few others succeed at one formats and most none. On top of that he is the keeper.

Why he gets far too much flack. We moan about these two when most of our batsmen struggle to even be decent in one format.

You asked for their stats I gave you the stats and now you are focusing on 1 particular tournament.

As I have said find better players than them and drop them I have no problem with that. Can you give me better players than them?

Babar was shocking in the tests in Australia and not for the first time. What about rizwan twice he's been one of our best batters there. Oh I guess Cummins etc are minnow level bowlers.
Dont you understand that Babar has had 3 very very poor WCs (2x T20 and 1 time ODI WC). That is 3 ICC events in which he flopped big time. In SENA tests he has done nothing of note. On paper an average of 40 with a SR 80 seems decent (last ODI WC) but he absolutely got exposed being a minnow basher.

Rizwan is an actor, such a person with his drama attitude should be kept far away from the team. And no there is no talent available to just walk in and start winning games, but do Babar and Rizwan win games/trophies NO. All they is boost their pathetic ego and averages.

while talking to a sports channel Usman Khan spoke about on his stop-start PSL career, making the move from Pakistan to UAE, and more. he said:

"I've played the PSL for three years but haven't had the chance to get an extended run. So whenever I play, I keep in mind that this may well be my last match. That's the mentality I bring to my game, that if I don't perform here, I might not get the next game. That probably means I have intensity every time I bat."

"I belong to a village in Sheikhupura called Farooqabad. My region was Sialkot, and when I watched the players there I thought I wouldn't get an opportunity there. My brother advised me to move to Karachi where I'd get a lot more opportunities. I moved to Karachi in 2012, where I worked extremely hard to make my name. I played for Pakistan cricket club where Saifi bhai [Sarfaraz Ahmed] was my captain. I performed but couldn't get an opportunity to play for my district."

"When I got a chance to keep and open, I topped the charts, and then enjoyed success in Ramzan Cricket, where I had the chance to make my name. I scored a number of hundreds there, and played a tournament at the Moin Khan academy, where I won the Player of the Tournament award, and Nadeem Omar drafted me into the PSL."

"I always had aspirations to play for Pakistan. But I also thought if someone else had nailed a place as opener at the top of the order for 4-5 years, I'd be wasting my time. That was also the case with the Karachi side, so I moved to the UAE. I performed well there, and was the Player of the Tournament in the T10. When you're a UAE player, you can play the Canada league or other such leagues, you get opportunities as an Associate cricketer more easily."

"But after making the switch to the UAE, I thought I wouldn't be picked in the PSL because I'm now an overseas cricketer. I never thought I'd enjoy the success I have now."

"That first innings in the PSL was significant for me to become popular and get name recognition. After that, I didn't get a shot in the PSL in 2022, but I didn't get disheartened. I tried to continue my cricket in Dubai. In Dubai, most of the tournaments that happen are on TV. I try to perform on TV so people watch me. I have the flashy shots as well as a proper playing style. And if you perform on TV where you're visible you get an opportunity somewhere or other."

"I played for a season in the UAE in 2021. At the time I wasn't made any promises by the UAE about becoming a national cricketer for them. But when I scored the fastest hundred in the PSL last year, they said we'll give you a contract if you play for the UAE as a local player. I agreed. That allows me to play the ILT20 and the T10 as a local player which opens doors. I was in the central contract list for the UAE. That means you need an NOC from your board to play overseas cricket. And the UAE grants that easily, so I play wherever I get an offer."

"In Pakistan, lobbying and contacts make a huge difference to how many opportunities you get and how early you get them. The cricket I've played, I've played on merit, I don't have any such connections. In Pakistan, if someone powerful speaks up for you, you're much more likely to come to prominence. I don't think you get an opportunity early on in Pakistan despite performances unless you have someone influential to speak for you or a group who stands up for you. Otherwise you won't get chances."

"I have no idea, because where I'm from, there's no support behind me, nor anyone to call for my selection. I did have a dream to play the PSL though, regardless of whether I play as a local or overseas player. So I'd like to give huge thanks to Ali Tareen [Multan Sultans owner] for picking me as an overseas player. But it's all up to the selectors. I still have 14 months left before I qualify for the UAE, but I told Waqar [Younis] bhai if I had guarantees that I'd get chances to play in Pakistan for my region or the national side, then it's only natural for me to be tempted."

"But as you know, if you don't have certainty, then it's hard to commit. I've seen the media talk about me now, but I'd always been clear if I don't get the chance to play for Pakistan, then I'd like to play for the UAE and showcase my talent. But at the same time, we do have responsibilities to our families and financial burdens we have to bear in mind. No one is safe in these economic times, so having financial security is hugely important to me."

"I worked my regular job alongside any cricket I played. I worked as a security guard and a storekeeper in the UAE in 2022 because the UAE had granted me a work visa. So I worked and played some domestic cricket alongside that."

"Those games don't have official T20 status but there are tournaments between multinational companies that take place there. The goal for me was to spend as much time as possible in the UAE to allow me to complete the three-year residency period. Then in 2022, I played the T10 which set me up for a deal at the BPL, and then the ILT20 and the PSL."

"In Quetta, if you performed well, you would get opportunities, but when you failed once or twice, you might get told you're not good enough at this level. When you tell a player that, it mentally kills them. The coaches you play under make a huge difference, and playing for Andy Flower and Mohammad Rizwan was fantastic for me. At Multan, they never demotivated a player even if they were dropping me. They'd take you aside and explain why there wasn't a spot in the starting line-up for you."

"When I didn't play four games for Multan this year, Abdul Rehman [the coach] bhai told me my time would come, and to be mentally ready for that. That gives a player something to look forward to instead of falling away. Here at MS, the culture is such everyone is in it together. If someone wins the Player of the Match or Player of the Tournament, the money will be distributed among the whole team. It's not just Rizwan or Iftikhar who are champions if they win, we all are. They tell us it's the hard work of all of us, and this matters greatly."

"In some ways they're similar, in terms of their tactics and how they want to win games. Saifi bhai is a little more emotional and at times tenses up. Rizwan bhai never blames a player or scolds them if they've gone for runs. No one gets told they've cost the team a game. Strategically they're not dissimilar, but they way to they react emotionally and psychologically to on-field events can be quite different."

"In some ways they're similar, in terms of their tactics and how they want to win games. Saifi bhai is a little more emotional and at times tenses up. Rizwan bhai never blames a player or scolds them if they've gone for runs. No one gets told they've cost the team a game. Strategically they're not dissimilar, but they way to they react emotionally and psychologically to on-field events can be quite different."

"I've played against Babar and observed how he builds an innings, when he decides to accelerate. And when I batted with Rizwan, I was observing him and trying to learn from him. His mindset was such that even if he scores 50 in 40 balls or so, the next 50 runs or so come much quicker. The 96 I scored this year was the same. Batting after scoring 50 is very easy for me. That's in my nature, and this has held true wherever I've played cricket and at whatever level."

"If you look at the games I scored a hundred, look at the early phases of my innings. I'm batting on 24 off 22, or 16 off 14, not starting especially quickly. But once I feel some bowler is there for the taking, I can sense that opportunity well. Because I feel I have a very wide range of shots, and so I don't need to rely on one particular shot for my runs."

"In the final, I just want to play the innings that gives my team the trophy. The final is very easy for me in a way. The cricket I've played until now, my mentality is this might be my last match. And every innings is an audition to get the next gig. And thus it feels like it's my first and last match at the same time."

"Yes, obviously. All the people who now recognise me and support me, I want to leave them with a great innings. I've been thinking for the last two days how I can win my team the final. It's a big competition. To win, you have to struggle."

while talking to a sports channel Usman Khan spoke about on his stop-start PSL career, making the move from Pakistan to UAE, and more. he said:

"I've played the PSL for three years but haven't had the chance to get an extended run. So whenever I play, I keep in mind that this may well be my last match. That's the mentality I bring to my game, that if I don't perform here, I might not get the next game. That probably means I have intensity every time I bat."

"I belong to a village in Sheikhupura called Farooqabad. My region was Sialkot, and when I watched the players there I thought I wouldn't get an opportunity there. My brother advised me to move to Karachi where I'd get a lot more opportunities. I moved to Karachi in 2012, where I worked extremely hard to make my name. I played for Pakistan cricket club where Saifi bhai [Sarfaraz Ahmed] was my captain. I performed but couldn't get an opportunity to play for my district."

"When I got a chance to keep and open, I topped the charts, and then enjoyed success in Ramzan Cricket, where I had the chance to make my name. I scored a number of hundreds there, and played a tournament at the Moin Khan academy, where I won the Player of the Tournament award, and Nadeem Omar drafted me into the PSL."

"I always had aspirations to play for Pakistan. But I also thought if someone else had nailed a place as opener at the top of the order for 4-5 years, I'd be wasting my time. That was also the case with the Karachi side, so I moved to the UAE. I performed well there, and was the Player of the Tournament in the T10. When you're a UAE player, you can play the Canada league or other such leagues, you get opportunities as an Associate cricketer more easily."

"But after making the switch to the UAE, I thought I wouldn't be picked in the PSL because I'm now an overseas cricketer. I never thought I'd enjoy the success I have now."

"That first innings in the PSL was significant for me to become popular and get name recognition. After that, I didn't get a shot in the PSL in 2022, but I didn't get disheartened. I tried to continue my cricket in Dubai. In Dubai, most of the tournaments that happen are on TV. I try to perform on TV so people watch me. I have the flashy shots as well as a proper playing style. And if you perform on TV where you're visible you get an opportunity somewhere or other."

"I played for a season in the UAE in 2021. At the time I wasn't made any promises by the UAE about becoming a national cricketer for them. But when I scored the fastest hundred in the PSL last year, they said we'll give you a contract if you play for the UAE as a local player. I agreed. That allows me to play the ILT20 and the T10 as a local player which opens doors. I was in the central contract list for the UAE. That means you need an NOC from your board to play overseas cricket. And the UAE grants that easily, so I play wherever I get an offer."

"In Pakistan, lobbying and contacts make a huge difference to how many opportunities you get and how early you get them. The cricket I've played, I've played on merit, I don't have any such connections. In Pakistan, if someone powerful speaks up for you, you're much more likely to come to prominence. I don't think you get an opportunity early on in Pakistan despite performances unless you have someone influential to speak for you or a group who stands up for you. Otherwise you won't get chances."

"I have no idea, because where I'm from, there's no support behind me, nor anyone to call for my selection. I did have a dream to play the PSL though, regardless of whether I play as a local or overseas player. So I'd like to give huge thanks to Ali Tareen [Multan Sultans owner] for picking me as an overseas player. But it's all up to the selectors. I still have 14 months left before I qualify for the UAE, but I told Waqar [Younis] bhai if I had guarantees that I'd get chances to play in Pakistan for my region or the national side, then it's only natural for me to be tempted."

"But as you know, if you don't have certainty, then it's hard to commit. I've seen the media talk about me now, but I'd always been clear if I don't get the chance to play for Pakistan, then I'd like to play for the UAE and showcase my talent. But at the same time, we do have responsibilities to our families and financial burdens we have to bear in mind. No one is safe in these economic times, so having financial security is hugely important to me."

"I worked my regular job alongside any cricket I played. I worked as a security guard and a storekeeper in the UAE in 2022 because the UAE had granted me a work visa. So I worked and played some domestic cricket alongside that."

"Those games don't have official T20 status but there are tournaments between multinational companies that take place there. The goal for me was to spend as much time as possible in the UAE to allow me to complete the three-year residency period. Then in 2022, I played the T10 which set me up for a deal at the BPL, and then the ILT20 and the PSL."

"In Quetta, if you performed well, you would get opportunities, but when you failed once or twice, you might get told you're not good enough at this level. When you tell a player that, it mentally kills them. The coaches you play under make a huge difference, and playing for Andy Flower and Mohammad Rizwan was fantastic for me. At Multan, they never demotivated a player even if they were dropping me. They'd take you aside and explain why there wasn't a spot in the starting line-up for you."

"When I didn't play four games for Multan this year, Abdul Rehman [the coach] bhai told me my time would come, and to be mentally ready for that. That gives a player something to look forward to instead of falling away. Here at MS, the culture is such everyone is in it together. If someone wins the Player of the Match or Player of the Tournament, the money will be distributed among the whole team. It's not just Rizwan or Iftikhar who are champions if they win, we all are. They tell us it's the hard work of all of us, and this matters greatly."

"I've played against Babar and observed how he builds an innings, when he decides to accelerate. And when I batted with Rizwan, I was observing him and trying to learn from him. His mindset was such that even if he scores 50 in 40 balls or so, the next 50 runs or so come much quicker. The 96 I scored this year was the same. Batting after scoring 50 is very easy for me. That's in my nature, and this has held true wherever I've played cricket and at whatever level."

"If you look at the games I scored a hundred, look at the early phases of my innings. I'm batting on 24 off 22, or 16 off 14, not starting especially quickly. But once I feel some bowler is there for the taking, I can sense that opportunity well. Because I feel I have a very wide range of shots, and so I don't need to rely on one particular shot for my runs."

"In the final, I just want to play the innings that gives my team the trophy. The final is very easy for me in a way. The cricket I've played until now, my mentality is this might be my last match. And every innings is an audition to get the next gig. And thus it feels like it's my first and last match at the same time."

"Yes, obviously. All the people who now recognise me and support me, I want to leave them with a great innings. I've been thinking for the last two days how I can win my team the final. It's a big competition. To win, you have to struggle."
Wholesome cricketer. Massive massive shame on PCB. Everything this man said was right.

True player who plays every game for the team and every game as if its his last. I hope and wish him the best In life as this man truly deserves it.

Usman Khan showcased yet another outstanding performance, made a quick-fire 50 off only 36 deliveries during the crucial final match of PSL 9.

1710782121959.jpeg

Back