[VIDEO] Ben Stokes abusing Misbah after getting owned - fair play?

Hawkeye

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Aggression is a must for fast bowlers.

But when you're being smashed and owned by a batsman, is it fair to use the F and P words?

Is abusing part of sledging?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If my lip-reading is correct, Stokes said "F you Misbah, you little *****" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PAKvENG?src=hash">#PAKvENG</a> <a href="https://t.co/RmJFwBBVCe">pic.twitter.com/RmJFwBBVCe</a></p>— Shayan Siddiqui (@Shayan6688) <a href="https://twitter.com/Shayan6688/status/657907211000225792">October 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by a moderator:
Stokes is the most overrated player ever. One ton against Australia in the Ashes and he gets a 2-year run - too much for a bits n' pieces player a la Bopara or James Franklin.

Things are said in the heat of the battle and at the end of a long, tiring day's play where you've given it everything.

Abuse is obviously unacceptable however.

Stokes is the most overrated player ever. One ton against Australia in the Ashes and he gets a 2-year run - too much for a bits n' pieces player a la Bopara or James Franklin.

He was bowling 139-140kph, but yes was still being schooled.

Things are said in the heat of the battle and at the end of a long, tiring day's play where you've given it everything.

Abuse is obviously unacceptable however.

When the language being used is extremely vulgar, it gets controversial. Some will say it's fine, others will object, and I think ICC objects to it as well with rules in place.

Stokes is absoloute quality. Hes bowled numerous brilliant spells that unfortunately his stats don't represent that well. Just take how he was bowling in the 2nd innings against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi for example for little reward. The notts ashes test where Broad stole the headlines, ironically in the 2nd innings Stokes put in what was clearly a much better better bowling performance despite what the final figures showed. I think he's incredibly unlucky in the bowling department.

Last edited:
The language is a problem, but everyone knows that Stokes is a hot-head. First he was irritated since Buttler and Root didn't go for the catch, then Misbah's boundary on the last ball rubbed it in. Probably a fine incoming.

Hes bowled numerous quality spells that unfortunately his stats don't represent that well. Just take how he was bowling in the 2nd innings against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi for example for little reward. The notts test where Broad stole the headlines, ironically in the 2nd innings Stokes put in what was clearly a much better better bowling performance despite what the final figures showed. I think he's incredibly unlucky in the bowling department.

Great, he can join Ishant Sharma for a moonwalk.

Bottomline - he averages 31 and 35, hardly the epitome of quality unlucky or not.

No it was not fair , stokes should have recited 4 Qul and distribute "chuwaray" to the batsmen.

He's very young and he'll learn. But he's not a bits and piece cricketer. He's a very good bowler and a decent enough batsman in bouncy pitches.

Great, he can join Ishant Sharma for a moonwalk.

Bottomline - he averages 31 and 35, hardly the epitome of quality unlucky or not.

Ah, you're part of the 'stats show everything and I barely have to watch a player to judge them' club. :misbah

He has tattoos and puts his collar up so he's somehow a great match-winner like KP.

As for the OP, of course it is not acceptable. There are children watching this match and I'm sure they're parents won't want them to hear that filth. What would have happened if instead of Misbah, it was Shehzad and the game devolved into a cussing contest?

Disgusting behavior, hope he gets a hefty fine.

On topic: he should have directed his insults towards the shoddy fielders, not Misbah.

General abuse is quite common on a cricket field, but it becomes an issue when you're REPEATEDLY, specifically directing it towards a player.

It gets personal then. Will be fined.

No need for a thread and doubt it even phased Misbah even in the slightest.

However Stokes is an absolute muppet.

I think England should invest in the Currans now

Tom Currans been added to one of the development squad this winter I believe whilst I hear rumours that Sam Currans focusing on his studies for the first half of next summer.

Completely unacceptable behavior on cricket field, the way he was swearing and using vulgar words was inappropriate. General swearing often happen on cricket field, but it is the manner in which Misbah was targeted repeatedly which is nothing short of an insult.

I'm actually disappointed that Misbah didn't respond back verbally, because Stokes was repeatedly cussing and using the most nasty words that warranted a strong response. But our players are too timid to stand up for themselves and be counted when there is any confrontation, just imagine if any Indian gets abused/targeted by an Englishman, all hell will break lose and it's not gonna end well for their opponents.

General abuse is quite common on a cricket field, but it becomes an issue when you're REPEATEDLY, specifically directing it towards a player.

It gets personal then. Will be fined.

Abuse might be common and acceptable in your perspective but in a game whose commentators flaunt it to be a game of gentleman, such practices should be penalized and discouraged extensively.

There's nothing such as repeatedly abusing being a deplorable and abusing once not being one. All players should be given stern warnings otherwise, Zidane esque incident would begin occurring in cricket as well.

Completely unacceptable behavior on cricket field, the way he was swearing and using vulgar words was inappropriate. General swearing often happen on cricket field, but it is the manner in which Misbah was targeted repeatedly which is nothing short of an insult.

I'm actually disappointed that Misbah didn't respond back verbally, because Stokes was repeatedly cussing and using the most nasty words that warranted a strong response. But our players are too timid to stand up for themselves and be counted when there is any confrontation, just imagine if any Indian gets abused/targeted by an Englishman, all hell will break lose and it's not gonna end well for their opponents.

Yeah, I don't want our players to follow the brilliant examples set by the likes of Gambhir and Kohli.

Cowering down is a different thing, but Misbah did the right thing by just ignoring him and walking away. He's way too mature to respond to such incidents anyway.

No need for verbals when we are giving them phainty on the field which is what matters.

Don't want to lose concentration or take attention away from the domination by unnecessarily responding

Tom Currans been added to one of the development squad this winter I believe whilst I hear rumours that Sam Currans focusing on his studies for the first half of next summer.

There is no advantage of being in Developmental squad.So many players in the past have disappeared after being in Developmental squad.Meaker,Coles,Hildreth.........

It pissess me of, Misbah is a Gentleman of today's cricket and gingers like this be smacked right in the face!

Yeah, I don't want our players to follow the brilliant examples set by the likes of Gambhir and Kohli.

Cowering down is a different thing, but Misbah did the right thing by just ignoring him and walking away. He's way too mature to respond to such incidents anyway.

It wasn't a casual confrontation that you would ignore, it was plain insult, who says "F*** you and you're a P****" to a senior well respected opposition batsman on a cricket field? He had crossed the line of mutual respect and was utterly disrespectful to the opposition's captain which definitely warranted a vigorous response to keep him in line but as I said our players are too afraid to stand up for themselves against bullies.

I hope he gets fined for his transgression on cricket field.

Misbah has let his bat do the talking so thats only response stoke needs.

Nothing wrong with restrained aggression, but if he used the P word, thats equivalent to the N word - thats got to be dealt with in the strongest possible way.

It wasn't a casual confrontation that you would ignore, it was plain insult, who says "F*** you and you're a P****" to a senior well respected opposition batsman on a cricket field? He had crossed the line of mutual respect and was utterly disrespectful to the opposition's captain which definitely warranted a vigorous response to keep him in line but as I said our players are too afraid to stand up for themselves against bullies.

I hope he gets fined for his transgression on cricket field.

He probably will.

What do you think would be an appropriate 'vigorous response'?

No need for verbals when we are giving them phainty on the field which is what matters.

Don't want to lose concentration or take attention away from the domination by unnecessarily responding

Standing up for yourself against insults and bullying isn't "unnecessary responding".

If it was some casual confrontation, it would have been fine and I wouldn't mind ignoring it but Stokes took it to another level by throwing plain insults which is just simply unacceptable at this level. I've never seen any player let alone a captain on the receiving end of such nasty vulgar abuse that's being thrown at them by opposition, if it was any other player besides Misbah I'm sure he'd have dealt with him accordingly.

Nothing wrong with restrained aggression, but if he used the P word, thats equivalent to the N word - thats got to be dealt with in the strongest possible way.

Not Pak... He said Pr***.

Ben Stokes will get enough when he comes to bat in the 2nd innings. Hes a feilding teams dream target, the one to get under his skin type.

Standing up for yourself against insults and bullying isn't "unnecessary responding".

If it was some casual confrontation, it would have been fine and I wouldn't mind ignoring it but Stokes took it to another level by throwing plain insults which is just simply unacceptable at this level. I've never seen any player let alone a captain on the receiving end of such nasty vulgar abuse that's being thrown at them by opposition, if it was any other player besides Misbah I'm sure he'd have dealt with him accordingly.

Yeah it was done repeatedly, it became personal and he was specifically directing it at him.

Misbah should've done something. A verbal response like even 'go home kid' would've been enough. Nice and decent. :moyo

Ben Stokes will get enough when he comes to bat in the 2nd innings. Hes a feilding teams dream target, the one to get under his skin type.

Our players are too timid to resort to such sort of tactics, they don't have it inside them to respond in the same fashion.

They're more than happy to be on the receiving end of verbal abuse as long as it doesn't escalate into physical confrontation.

Swearing/abuse isn't sledging and I'm sure ICC regulations have a clear boundary as to what remarks fall in to which category and I hope this yet another overrated English player gets dealt with accordingly so that his ego never writes cheques that his body can't cash.

Yeah it was done repeatedly, it became personal and he was specifically directing it at him.

Misbah should've done something. A verbal response like even 'go home kid' would've been enough. Nice and decent. :moyo

Yes or maybe Misbah should've let his bat do the talking like Miandad :yk2

Our players are too timid to resort to such sort of tactics, they don't have it inside them to respond in the same fashion.

They're more than happy to be on the receiving end of verbal abuse as long as it doesn't escalate into physical confrontation.

I'm sure Wahab would be more than happy to roughen him up but the pitch isn't really conducive to doing that.

Misbah must smash him for a six at least tomorrow. That will pump him up even more [emoji14]

Swearing/abuse isn't sledging and I'm sure ICC regulations have a clear boundary as to what remarks fall in to which category and I hope this yet another overrated English player gets dealt with accordingly so that his ego never writes cheques that his body can't cash.

He needs to be taught a more stern lesson to keep his tongue in check the next time he's tempted to repeat this demeanor.

He needs to be taught a more stern lesson to keep his tongue in check the next time he's tempted to repeat this demeanor.

Wouldn't be surprised if Wahab gives him some chest or neck high short balls at 90 mph in the 4th innings.

I don't mind Misbah's maturity, it just exposes the lack of class within the English team.

There is no advantage of being in Developmental squad.So many players in the past have disappeared after being in Developmental squad.Meaker,Coles,Hildreth.........

What a ridiculous suggestion. You're saying that Curran will benefit more sitting around training in The Oval indoor nets all winter than travelling overseas to multiple countries with the most promising players around, getting practice in different conditions, having the ability to work with and impress coaches within the international setup like he will with the performance squad.

Last edited:
With stump mic's and tv camera's nowadays being able to zoom in so that every word of abuse can be heard and/or lip-read by young viewers, it's time for the ICC to come down harshly on the use of abusive language by players. No longer should it be simply treated as 'banter' or 'harmless sledging' in the middle.

It's verbal abuse, pure and simple. Other sport authorities are outlawing it and coming hard on the culprits for the sake of their sport.

Cricket is facing difficulties as it is in terms of spectators in the grounds. It will also end up losing tv viewers if parents watching matches in the company of their children decide they've had enough of seeing and hearing disgusting verbal abuse being dished out by players.

How can parents expect to educate their children against dishing out verbal abuse if their sporting heroes are doing the same on tv?

ICC needs to clamp down hard - starting now.

No it was not fair , stokes should have recited 4 Qul and distribute "chuwaray" to the batsmen.
chuwaray is distributed on one's wedding... how about daig of channay chawal on data darbar.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Whilst I am sure we all accept that sledging is part of the game, the verbal abuse directed at Misbah today by Stokes crossed the line due to the fact he repeatedly swore at Misbah.

Had Stokes picked on certain other players around the world, (a couple of Aussies, West Indians and even our very own Wahab spring to mind), the matter may have become a flashpoint resulting in verbals and squaring up. The fact that Misbah just shrugged it off and let his bat do the talking reflects his maturity.

Secondly, it has been shown that you don't need to stoop as low as swearing to rile a batsmen......Wahab vs Watson last year showed that.

Lastly, for those defending Stokes......next year when England host Pakistan and I am sat on the boundary watching the game.....if I call Stokes an "effing .....", do you think I will be allowed to get away with it as it's in the heat of the game? I think not.

If you lip read he clearly said "Effing Pakki", stuff is said in the heat of the moment but I don't think PPers from Pakistan understand the context of the word "Pakki" in the UK it's the equivalent of saying the N word and is extremely insulting towards Brit Asians. I don't think racial abuse should be allowed under the disguise of sledging, I don't think it should be allowed in any sport. Stokes obviously was angry and probably isn't a racist but what he said is still unacceptable. Misbah probably wouldn't have said anything anyway but then again I doubt he understood the context of the P word. I doubt stokes would have used the N words if he was playing against the WI; Englishman tend to be overly abusive towards Pakistanis and in this instance Stokes took it too far.

If you lip read he clearly said "Effing Pakki", stuff is said in the heat of the moment but I don't think PPers from Pakistan understand the context of the word "Pakki" in the UK it's the equivalent of saying the N word and is extremely insulting towards Brit Asians. I don't think racial abuse should be allowed under the disguise of sledging, I don't think it should be allowed in any sport. Stokes obviously was angry and probably isn't a racist but what he said is still unacceptable. Misbah probably wouldn't have said anything anyway but then again I doubt he understood the context of the P word. I doubt stokes would have used the N words if he was playing against the WI; Englishman tend to be overly abusive towards Pakistanis and in this instance Stokes took it too far.

I don't think he said p*ki to be fair. IF he did, then it is totally unacceptable as it is racist abuse and should not be accepted in any form whatsoever. Harbahjan vs Symonds and the "monkey" saga springs to mind. Secondly, I am sure Misbah would have said something if this was the case, you are wrong to think he doesn't understand the context.......he's an intelligent sportsman who has been around the world.....

I think we're comfortable he didn't use the racist p word.

Insulting nonetheless but let's not start with the racism chat.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't think he said p*ki to be fair. IF he did, then it is totally unacceptable as it is racist abuse and should not be accepted in any form whatsoever. Harbahjan vs Symonds and the "monkey" saga springs to mind. Secondly, I am sure Misbah would have said something if this was the case, you are wrong to think he doesn't understand the context.......he's an intelligent sportsman who has been around the world.....

I felt as if he did and Englishman in the UK tend to use it pretty frequently well not everyone but they do when angry etc I could be wrong about what Stokes said but reading his lips it looks like he did imo. If he didn't then fair play to him, am not so bothered about swearing etc if that word was used then it just takes things too far

What a waste of space this man. Guess England supporters must be proud of this great ambassador for their country.

Guess England supporters must be proud of this great ambassador for their country.

Definitely am. A quality all rounder in the making who clearly has a huge passion. Yes he may get a bit angry at times, and he's not exactly alone in that in international cricket, but I'm sure he'll mature over time.

Last edited:
I like Stokes the cricketer, but he's wasting his breath trying to unsettle Misbah with sledging.

Misbah's a cool cat, seen it all before and just smiled at Stokes and let him get on with it.

I like Stokes the cricketer, but he's wasting his breath trying to unsettle Misbah with sledging.

Misbah's a cool cat, seen it all before and just smiled at Stokes and let him get on with it.

I don't think much of it was said to intentionally to try and unsettle Misbah but more out of pure frustration at the rotten luck he seems to get with the ball and the fielding off his bowling.

I don't think much of it was said to intentionally to try and unsettle Misbah but more out of pure frustration at the rotten luck he seems to get with the ball and the fielding off his bowling.

I think it was a bit of both. At first it was frustration but he was also then sledging him at the end of some overs.

if i were misbah i would have said, "only if you played as well as you run your mouth you might have a chance of getting in the kiwi team"

Swearing has no place in the world of sport or the real word in my opinion.

But since we are living in a world where crass is somehow classy, it will continue to prosper.

I am all for banter, all for intriguing banter that becomes stuff of anecdotes, like Sanga saying to Pollock that he has the weight of a nation on his shoulders etc.

On another note, Stokes is a good bowler and someone who has impressed me more than all other English seam bowlers.

Since we are going there next June I guess a lot will come to fore in the next 8 to 9 months about Stokes ability.

I hope that Stokes says the same stuff to Wahab Riaz tomorrow and wakes up the beast.

Jerks like Stokes need to be put in their place. You just don't say stuff like this on a cricket field.

No other cricketer has done something like this in a long time so lets not brush this off because it's apparently common.

That's a lot to say for someone who'd probably be opening your bowling

What a waste of space this man. Guess England supporters must be proud of this great ambassador for their country.

People seem to forget McGrath was very similar. He would start cursing at batsmen smashing him. Then he would kneel down in typical McGrath fashion and tie his shoe laces...

Misbah put him in his place. And to be fair he made himself look pretty stupid. Misbah smashed him for a four and then smiled in disdain...beating them again will be enough of an answer.

British Gingers are dumb and aggressive, unexpected honestly. Goes for both genders. :))

I think would have been nice if misbah had said "I'm 41 and still playing .. let's see where you're next summer kid"

Back