[VIDEO] "If I were Babar Azam, I would not be happy that Darren Sammy kept coming to the boundary to speak": Saj

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Peshawar Zalmi once again had a really good PSL season towards end of the tournament however, they suffered failures on many fronts when it mattered most.

Here are the points Saj addressed regarding what went wrong with Peshawar Zalmi in PSL 9:

1. Playoff Failures: Despite their consistency in reaching the playoffs, the alarming rate of failures (8 out of 9 times) underscores a need to thoroughly analyze and address the underlying issues.
  2. Captaincy Critique: The performance of Babar Azam as captain demands a fair critique beyond solely focusing on the failures of the bowlers.
  3. Babar Azam's Performance: Babar Azam's performance in key situations during matches needs evaluation, as his contributions can significantly impact the team's success or failure.
  4. Over-Reliance on Openers: Peshawar Zalmi's dependency solely on their openers for substantial contributions may have limited their adaptability and effectiveness in varied match scenarios.
  5. Weak Bowling Performance: Throughout the tournament, the performance of Peshawar Zalmi's bowlers appeared inadequate.
  6. Darren Sammy's Coaching: The performance of Darren Sammy as a head coach should be scrutinized

What do you guys think actually went wrong with Peshawar Zalmi this season that the hot favorites couldn't even make it to the finals?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well have observed one thing as a captain, Babar was completely unwilling to take any responsibility for his decisions even many a time he let Powell to act as a defacto captain. Its good now that Babar is no more the captain of PCT.

That's very much true that Peshawar was winning games only on the back of Saim and Babar but two players can't win the title alone. Other players also have to step up in which were also getting paid.

The weakest bowling lineup I have seen was Peshawar Zalmi's in PSL in which their prime bowler became Saim Ayub by the end of the tournament who was just a part-time bowler.

For me biggest issue of PZ is their bowling which led them down and they really need to work on it otherwise they will become another Karachi Kings type franchise.

I felt Darren Sammy was hesitant to criticize Babar in public but wasn't happy with his performance.

The Sammy/Babar situation reminded me of school level cricket where the sports teacher is stood on the boundary edge explaining to the captain what he should and should not be doing.

Embarrassing stuff.

The Sammy/Babar situation reminded me of school level cricket where the sports teacher is stood on the boundary edge explaining to the captain what he should and should not be doing.

Embarrassing stuff.
Babar is an obedient student :ROFLMAO:

Embarrassing stuff.

This has happened to me 🤣🤣🤣 and we ended up slagging each other off but that’s school level, I had to write an apology letter to the teacher to continue the captaincy lol

For this to repeat at this level is amusing

Babar is not captaincy material, his 5 year tenure showed it, he can't spontaneously think on his feet, he is someone who will always need hand holding.

Only matter of time before Zalmi look for a new captain.

Babar is not captaincy material, his 5 year tenure showed it, he can't spontaneously think on his feet, he is someone who will always need hand holding.

Only matter of time before Zalmi look for a new captain.
Depends what you want as a skipper.

The guy who won't ruffle any feathers, won't create controversies, will bat well. Or if you want more from a skipper.

Depends what you want as a skipper.

The guy who won't ruffle any feathers, won't create controversies, will bat well. Or if you want more from a skipper.

Franchise Cricket is very ruthless. Don't think any self respecting high performance franchise will tolerate failures for long. But then again this is Pakistan where the Seth Culture dominates and results second.

Franchise Cricket is very ruthless. Don't think any self respecting high performance franchise will tolerate failures for long. But then again this is Pakistan where the Seth Culture dominates and results second.
Yes the issue remains, do PSL franchises want the best captains or the most popular players leading their teams.

Babar is too nice a guy to raise concerns about Sammy's behaviour.

I can think of a few captains who would have told Sammy to pipe down and go and stay in the dugout.

What do you guys think actually went wrong with Peshawar Zalmi this season that the hot favorites couldn't even make it to the finals?
Who declared Zalmi as “hot favorites”?

Hearing this for the first time. They were not hot favorites by any means. In fact, they were not even among the top 3 strongest sides because of their weak bowling.

Babar did really well as captain and helped his team punch above their weight. Zalmi could have easily missed out on the play-offs considering their team composition.

Opening the bowling with Saim Ayub was the surprise package of the tournament. He took the most wickets in the PP overs. No one knew anything about his bowling before this tournament. It was an example of Babar’s great captaincy.

Who declared Zalmi as “hot favorites”?

Hearing this for the first time. They were not hot favorites by any means. In fact, they were not even among the top 3 strongest sides because of their weak bowling.

Babar did really well as captain and helped his team punch above their weight. Zalmi could have easily missed out on the play-offs considering their team composition.

Opening the bowling with Saim Ayub was the surprise package of the tournament. He took the most wickets in the PP overs. No one knew anything about his bowling before this tournament. It was an example of Babar’s great captaincy.

We have all seen the full extent of Babar's captaincy in the last 5 years and how much he thinks out of the box. I won't be surprised if Saim's bowling was actually spotted by Sammy more than Babar. We all know full well Babar under pressure cannot think and he cluelessly looks around others for help and ideas when the going gets tough which requires spontaneous thinking.

We have all seen the full extent of Babar's captaincy in the last 5 years and how much he thinks out of the box. I won't be surprised if Saim's bowling was actually spotted by Sammy more than Babar. We all know full well Babar under pressure cannot think and he cluelessly looks around others for help and ideas when the going gets tough which requires spontaneous thinking.
Yes yes, any good tactical calls by Babar were due to Sammy and any bad calls were his fault.

Yes yes, any good tactical calls by Babar were due to Sammy and any bad calls were his fault.
Naw babar made some good decisions in PSL if we're being fair. But he wasn't the Best captain like you proclaimed.

He did make good decisions in PSL and him backing saim as an opening batter and giving him confidence deserves full praise.

His faults lie in that he can't take pressure. When the team is losing he scolds them 10x more which leads to drop catches and midfield which is what happened in the last game.

He's no different from sarfraz's excessive scolding during heated moments. Although he scolds less then sarfi.

It's better to let shaheen captain, he's young, aggressive but he seems to have respect for people and has the best interests at heart for his country.

Naw babar made some good decisions in PSL if we're being fair. But he wasn't the Best captain like you proclaimed.

He did make good decisions in PSL and him backing saim as an opening batter and giving him confidence deserves full praise.

His faults lie in that he can't take pressure. When the team is losing he scolds them 10x more which leads to drop catches and midfield which is what happened in the last game.

He's no different from sarfraz's excessive scolding during heated moments. Although he scolds less then sarfi.

It's better to let shaheen captain, he's young, aggressive but he seems to have respect for people and has the best interests at heart for his country.
I doubt if all those decisions were solely Babar Azam's.

I doubt if all those decisions were solely Babar Azam's.
Then it would have to go both ways. If Darren Sammy contributed in making good decison for babar then he also contributed in making bad decisions.

Both would be to praise and blame in that case.

He needs to stop it happening.

It must be embarrassing for him and to be honest the likes of Sammy aren't exactly going to give earth shattering advice.
He's too soft imo, doesn't have that captains aura like Afridi had.

It must be embarrassing for him and to be honest the likes of Sammy aren't exactly going to give earth shattering advice.

There is another option, admit you don't have leadership qualities, you are not captaincy material and just focus on playing as a regular player and focusing on one and only thing ie scoring maximum impactful runs and helping Pakistan win games single-handedly. Why not do that?

Well, despite Darren Sammy's concerns during PSL 9, it looks like Babar is in the running to be skipper once again it seems.

@Saj don't watch Nehra ji in GT dugout..
I don't mind the occasional piece of advice, but there is no need in my opinion for a coach to have to keep on going to the boundary edge to school a captain.

Why is it embarrassing though? It is common for coaches and managers to pass on instructions in sports.

Bob Woolmer passing Cronje instructions via a headset.
Chris Silverwood and his coded signals
Nehra is often on the boundary in the IPL

Why is it embarrassing though? It is common for coaches and managers to pass on instructions in sports.

Bob Woolmer passing Cronje instructions via a headset.
Chris Silverwood and his coded signals
Nehra is often on the boundary in the IPL
Not every few overs.

Now and then fair enough, but Sammy was on tv more than some of the PZ players.

I just wonder if Gary Kirsten becomes Pakistan coach then would he replace Babar with Rizwan or would he prefer to sit on fence for him.

It tells you something about Pakistan cricket when you have to go back to a captain who you sacked just a short time ago and was generally regarded as a poor skipper.

I am yet to be convinced that Babar is a good captain, tactically aware and a natural leader.

He has a few good moments, but mostly it's predictable captaincy from him.

Back