[VIDEO] Mohammad Shami stopped himself from doing a Sajda?

sajdah in sports was started by Indians. Not even Pakistanis
Yes, but that's not even the point I am referring to. My issue is with audacity of not knowing what's the full meaning of sajdah to Muslims & yet passing remarks. I am an open minded guy & tolerate all sorts of criticism, including religious issues. But you can't claim moral high ground on a topic you are fully ignorant of.

As an indian sanatani hindu i do not mind if a player does the Sajda on the pitch or crosses himself as a christian as i recall - matt hayden or yousef youhana used to do, or does namaz like Riazwan does - as long as it does not hold up the game or causes havov with over rates.
Neither do majority of indians.

Last edited by a moderator:
U don’t know about Mumbai heat, yesterday I watched full match in AC at home, but still I was feeling humidity

Therefore, after taking 5 wkts, surely Shammi was tired…

Don’t understand u ppls theory… anyone bending down doesn’t mean he is performing sajda
If someone's tired they don't go through the trouble of going down the Islamic way (with hands on knees). They either lie down or throw themselves on the ground. Watch youtube videos of namaz and compare the way Shami went down.

If someone's tired they don't go through the trouble of going down the Islamic way (with hands on knees). They either lie down or throw themselves on the ground. Watch youtube videos of namaz and compare the way Shami went down.

Shami have freedom of expression, he can go down the way he wanted… why u labelling it as Islamic way…. There is one aasan in Yoga which can be performed as shown by shami

Then why were Pakistani players constantly asking him to convert and also did not eat food with Kaneria. He himself has mentione this? Oh yes, this narrative doesn't suit you.

Muslims are encouraged to invite others to their faith, as far as they are concerned, they are inviting the non-Muslim to success in the afterlife so they are doing them a good turn. This isn't my narrative, I don't do any of this myself, I am not really religious, but I have studied it.

As for eating or not eating with those of a different faith, I've seen this from both Muslims and Hindus. Definitely in Pakistan they don't share food with lower castes, it's not specifically an inter-religion thing. Again, not my narrative so apologies if this offends you.

Muslims are encouraged to invite others to their faith, as far as they are concerned, they are inviting the non-Muslim to success in the afterlife so they are doing them a good turn. This isn't my narrative, I don't do any of this myself, I am not really religious, but I have studied it.

As for eating or not eating with those of a different faith, I've seen this from both Muslims and Hindus. Definitely in Pakistan they don't share food with lower castes, it's not specifically an inter-religion thing. Again, not my narrative so apologies if this offends you.

Have allowed this post as the final reply on this topic.

Thread is about the Sajda for Shami.

Also, the fact that there was a court case filed against Rizwan means that the Sajda is a controversial act.

I also recall during the 2021 t20 world cup an Indian TV channel was debating Rizwan praying on the field; they even called Mohammad Kaif for his expert opinion.

Just wondering why the Sajda generates so much debate, guys like Mo Salah do it all the time. If one is truly secular should all sorts of religious gestures be tolerated. Or does secularism mean that no one is allowed to portray any sort of religious act ever.

Without going in to an India vs Pakistan debate it does seem that the Sajda is highly controversial. Not sure why.

But you don't seem to remember that Waqar Younis said that Rizwan offering the namaz amongst Indians was signifying victory over Hindus.

FYI the complaint against Rizwan was for offering the namaz at the field of play. Not for Sajda.

Guess what, Afghans offered their namaz at the field and no one bothered.

Its more to do with nationality and not religion.

Also can you say with guarantee Shami was going to perform the Sajda?

But you don't seem to remember that Waqar Younis said that Rizwan offering the namaz amongst Indians was signifying victory over Hindus.

FYI the complaint against Rizwan was for offering the namaz at the field of play. Not for Sajda.

Good 'ol when in trouble, bring in Pakistan.

So what nationality is Shami and why cannot he do a Sajda in public? Seems he had to restrain himself.

It appears that some of our friends have successfully derailed this thread to try and hide what was actually asked in Post #1.

O8JdwDB.png

So let me lay it out again and see if anyone has the courage to answer what is ACTUALLY the topic of this thread.

1. Do they think based on the video and photographic evidence that Shami was about to do a Sajda like many Muslims do to thank the Almighty for his feat?

2. If he stopped himself, why did he do that?

3. If he stopped himself because of fear of a backlash by the majority then is that right or wrong.

==

I know it's tough for many to come to terms with it but best you confront this issue as acceptance is the first step towards improvement.

Once again to clarify for some as they are having issues:

1. Shami is not from Pakistan
2 He is not related to Kaneria or Mohammad Yousuf
3. He was not a participant in the 1947 negotiations
4. He is not a minority in Pakistan

Each of these are different topics and discussed at length in other threads.

From now on, any posts not related to Shami will not be visible.

Seems some waking up now and may have missed my post

So read this

Absorb it

And Post

Then don't come running to us, if your post goes missing or you are put on restricted posters list.

This thread is not a free for all.

When have Shami or Siraj done Sajda before that he stopped midway yesterday? If you see the video Shami knelt down just like Kohli went on his knees after taking India to victory at melbourne last year. If he would have feared backlash would he have thanked Allah in the post match presentation? 99% of hindus wouldn't know what is Sajda so what backlash would Shami get.

I also recall during the 2021 t20 world cup an Indian TV channel was debating Rizwan praying on the field; they even called Mohammad Kaif for his expert opinion.
Namaz on the field is not a good one.. you've to be clean to do the namaz.. actually it's haram doing namaz while his pants hanging below ankle... there's no problem in doing sujood though..

Yeah I’m sure Shami is really feeling bad right now and would rather be in Pakistan than India.
It's not about what country, more he cannot express his happiness by doing sajda. India like Pakistan has serious issues on how minorities are treated.

Did he use those words? I don't think so, all he said was he enjoyed that in the midst of the Hindus Rizwan offered Namaz, he never said anything about victory over Hindus. This was more about pride in oneself rather than victory so you are misquoting and therefore twisting what was said.

There is a thread on Rizwan/Waqar

Use that.

Stop trying to derail this discussion because you have no answer for it.

Like I said before, if you are not seeing your posts on this thread, there is a reason for it.

I think something stopped him as he felt there would be a backlash. May Allah guide him so that next time he puts his Lord before anything else.

It could have been a iconic Sporting Moment like ones in the past where black people were on the olympic podiums with their fist raised for example.

A muslim man doing Sajda in front of a packed stadium who are Majority a different faith where there is undeniable tension could have gone down in history as an iconic moment. But he bottled it.

Social media etc is rife with Indian support for Israel and he may have felt that the timing was not right with whats going on with the muslims around the world, having said that this was his moment to show unity. But oh well.

Maybe he did tauba in private for his backing out of Sajdah, we shouldn't judge but hope the next time he follows it through.

I think something stopped him as he felt there would be a backlash. May Allah guide him so that next time he puts his Lord before anything else.
Why do you guys so sure that he's going to do sujood?

The near total denial of Indian posters on here says to me that Shami indeed was going to do sajda. So why would anyone else bother if he was or not?

There is previous form of Shami getting it in the neck from bakhts before so probably a wise move for him in the end.

Some frustrated fans after seeing India’s victorious run bringing religion in everything…. Please note Shami I’m post match presentation, never said anything about it….. due to humid and hot weather shami wanted to relax by sitting on the pitch but realised in time that Srilankan batsman might take objection… he quickly back on his feet.
So he didn't say anything in the post match presentation but he called you and told the real story behind it? :misbah

I think it is pretty clear from the video that he was going to do a sajda but stopped himself. Ofcourse andhbhakhts won't be able to see it. :inti

Lot of mind reading, body language reading :) I don't find in any of the other medias. He has achieved better things than this in his 10 year old career. Never once celebrated that way. Suddenly beating SL gave him that urge? `This is unprovable.

So he didn't say anything in the post match presentation but he called you and told the real story behind it? :misbah

I think it is pretty clear from the video that he was going to do a sajda but stopped himself. Ofcourse andhbhakhts won't be able to see it. :inti
Did Shami do the Sajda when he picked 5 wickets against NZ or pciking 5fer against SL was more special in any way? Did he do a sajda when he took a hatrick and pulled off a victory in 2019 WC?

Did Shami do the Sajda when he picked 5 wickets against NZ or pciking 5fer against SL was more special in any way? Did he do a sajda when he took a hatrick and pulled off a victory in 2019 WC?
Do you ask these questions before doing anything for the first time? Why can't this be his first sajda lol? There is zero before 1. :inti

This is a very valid point. I think we are conflating him kneeling from exhaustion with a religious gesture. He has not made similar gestures in the past, it would be peculiar if this were the first time.

Do you ask these questions before doing anything for the first time? Why can't this be his first sajda lol? There is zero before 1. :inti
So all of a sudden he decided to do a Sajda and then stopped midway. Even Kohli went on his kness after the win in Melbourne. Did he also stop his Sajda midway?

So all of a sudden he decided to do a Sajda and then stopped midway. Even Kohli went on his kness after the win in Melbourne. Did he also stop his Sajda midway?
Yeah all of a sudden he decided to do his first sajda but stopped midway. How can you plan these things beforehand lol? Please tell. :inti

Yes but there is a valid point to suggest that Sami did not become particularly devout between the New Zealand and Sri Lanka games.
According to you, Shami is not a religious person because he never did a sajda on the field before? I wonder why he thanked 'allah' in the post match presentation. :inti

If he was stopping himself I hope he can do it next time.
He is doing it not against anyone but as thankful gesture, this shouldn’t be an issue at all.

Good observations there. You would think that should settle this thread and close it out. But dont hold your breath .... expect more verbal gymnastics coming your way. ;)

:inti

According to you, Shami is not a religious person because he never did a sajda on the field before? I wonder why he thanked 'allah' in the post match presentation. :inti
I can’t wish critical thinking upon you even if I wanted to. Here is my hypothesis: Sami is not known to demonstrate gestures of religiosity and he has been playing with significant success for a while now. He has not engaged in any such act or custom during his first outing in the tournament when he rose from the bench to the man of the match. He did not again display any such gestures in the game that followed, and thus it is unreasonable to assume that he suddenly fell to his knees in the third game in less than 10 days and was engaging in a display of his faith.

A more plausible explanation is that he was exhausted from the exertion.

Also if we were to accept the he was engaging in a pious act, there is no evidence to suggest he paused out of concern of being discriminated against

Is Kohli Muslim?

What sort of logic is that? Expect better.

I think Shami says Bismillah before major interviews and no one created a hue and cry about it. It’s your conjecture that he was about to perform Sajda which he should have if he wanted to.

Pakistan’s perception of Indian Muslims comes from a bracket of people on Social media. Yes, the secular fabric of India has deteriorated over the years but have you ever seen a Hindu player do a religious act on the pitch.

Secularism has two aspects, either you are free to do whatever you want religiously or you abstain from performing religious acts at all which is a thing Indian team adopts.

Personally, my best friend at work is a Muslim and it happens often that we all wait during Ramzan for him to have his Iftaari before we all go out to party/dinner. No one has ever complained for this.

Wow never thought this thread would be 4 pages. Why are people concerned about any individual's form of celebration? Each player has a personal choice. They can do what they want. Just speculating either way doesnt do anyone any good. Each player is free to express thir own gratitude their way - simple.

India as a country and Indian cricket team keeps religion out of sports. You will never see an Indian player thanking god or saying jai shriram during post match presentations.
So is that a restriction on freedom of religion or speech?

Whether Shammi called u and told that he wanted to do Sajda? Shami also picked 5 wkts against NZ , did he performed Sajda?

Whether Shammi called u and told that he wanted to do Sajda? Shami also picked 5 wkts against NZ , did he performed Sajda?
There is a video in the OP. Watch it first. Now you tell me how many times have you seen Shami do that before after bowling just 5 overs? :inti

I can’t wish critical thinking upon you even if I wanted to. Here is my hypothesis: Sami is not known to demonstrate gestures of religiosity and he has been playing with significant success for a while now. He has not engaged in any such act or custom during his first outing in the tournament when he rose from the bench to the man of the match. He did not again display any such gestures in the game that followed, and thus it is unreasonable to assume that he suddenly fell to his knees in the third game in less than 10 days and was engaging in a display of his faith.

A more plausible explanation is that he was exhausted from the exertion.

Also if we were to accept the he was engaging in a pious act, there is no evidence to suggest he paused out of concern of being discriminated against
Was this the first time he was feeling tired in his career? I am sure you have got more video evidences to show that this was not the first time he fell on his knees to relax and in this manner lol. :inti

Doing Sajda is just thanking the Almighty God. Tell me, how is that offending anyone?

I hear they chant Hindu slogan in the crowd all the time. Never ever heard Muslim fans in the crowds stadiums in BD or Pak chant ‘Naarey Takbir - Allahu-Akbar’ during matches against any teams let alone India. So it’s ok for them to chant anything but they get angry if a muslim cricketer from India doing sajda which is just to thank the Lord ABOVE. Strange.

Why can’t you guys ask the question to Shami directly like in platforms where he is active instead of speculating and putting words out. Won’t that be more easy and direct real answer. If he wants to do sajda nobody will stop him. Indian team is not overly religious they keep their faith to themself in public team events, may be more personal in their personal life. I am sure as most of these guys come from disadvantaged and humble backgrounds (not all of them) they might be conservative as far as team display and events are concerned. Did Imran khan do sajda after World Cup win or after winning matches for his team. Did ajaharuddin, nawab pataudi do sajda or namaz on ground After winning matches. If some one knows do please post info.

Indians gave Fakhar a warm applause when he done it, this should be the end of it now.
They have problems with indians bringing religion in public. They hate hindus who chant Jai Shri Ram, and muslims who do sajdah. Sanghis islamophobio is crude, while sickulars islamophobia is sophisticated, but never mistake these sickulars as liberals.

The reactions on this thread tells you everything you need to know.

Was he about to do the sajda?
Is this question even relevant.

The replies should have been..

If he was about to the sajda then don't stop, just go for it. No issues.
We Indians love you no matter what your religion.

Instead the entire debate is "he was about to do the sajda but pulled out" Vs "he was not doing the sajda" followed by a billions reasons as to why he wasnt.

The reactions on this thread tells you everything you need to know.

Was he about to do the sajda?
Is this question even relevant.

The replies should have been..

If he was about to the sajda then don't stop, just go for it. No issues.
We Indians love you no matter what your religion.

Instead the entire debate is "he was about to do the sajda but pulled out" Vs "he was not doing the sajda" followed by a billions reasons as to why he wasnt.
So was he or was he not? We want answers. :geek:

After watching the video many times, I feel he was not trying to do Sajda. He just dropped on his knees in celebration. I don't see any religious connotations in his celebration.
Shami never prostrated in his career and he got many 5 wicket hauls. Why would he do it all of a sudden? People are reading too much into this. Indian players do not bring religion into the field.

Mohammad Shami speaking on TV about the 'sajda' controversy during CWC23:

"If I wanted to pray, who could stop me? I won't stop anyone from praying. If I want to pray, I will pray. What's the problem in this? I will say it with pride that I am a Muslim. I will say it with pride that I am an Indian. What's the problem in that? If I have to ask permission to pray from someone, then why should I be in this country? Have I ever prayed after taking a 5-wicket haul before? I have taken many five-wicket hauls. You tell me where you have to pray, and I will go and pray there"

Shami is slapping those people who were crying about sajda etc . BCCI recommended shami name for Arjun awards

Shami has many 5 wicket halls before and never done the sajda. Zaheer khan, pathan and azhar never did it either. Non pakistani Muslim players don't usually do the sajda

Shami has many 5 wicket halls before and never done the sajda. Zaheer khan, pathan and azhar never did it either. Non pakistani Muslim players don't usually do the sajda

This was a World Cup in his home country, night and day difference, you should know better.

Thank God I was born in a country where i can freely do the Sajda.

"Matter Of Pride That PM Narendra Modi...": India Pacer Mohammed Shami After Casting Vote In Uttar Pradesh's Amroha​

India's star pacer Mohammed Shami on Friday cast his vote in Amroha during the second phase of Lok Sabha elections. After casting his vote, Shami urged citizens to exercise their franchise and "elect the government of their choice". "I just want to say that every citizen has the right to cast their votes and elect the government of their choice...It is a matter of pride for me that PM Narendra Modi took my name during his speech (in Amroha) and praised me and my game," Shami told the media. Voting was held in eight parliamentary constituencies of Uttar Pradesh - Amroha, Meerut, Baghpat, Ghaziabad, Gautam Budh Nagar, Aligarh, Mathura, and Bulandshahr during the second phase of Lok Sabha polls.

Voting began at 7 am on Friday in 88 constituencies across 13 states and union territories for the second phase of the Lok Sabha polls.

Earlier in February, PM Modi wished a speedy recovery to Shami, who successfully underwent an operation on his Achilles tendon.

Shami is currently in rehabilitation from an Achilles tendon injury. On April 19, Shami provided his fans with an injury update and said that he cannot wait to make a comeback.

Taking to Instagram, Shami wrote in the caption of his reel, "Injuries don't define you, your comeback will... Can't wait to be back out there with my team! #mdshami #recoveryjourney #shami #mdshami11"

Shami is not playing in the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL) season, where he was supposed to play for the Gujarat Titans (GT) and also missed the five-match Test series against England at home in January-March this year due to injury.

The 33-year-old last represented India in the ODI World Cup final against Australia in November. The senior pacer finished as the tournament's highest wicket-taker and took 24 wickets in only seven matches.

Shami played through pain in that tournament, but he did not allow his pain to affect his performance. He later missed the tour to South Africa following the tournament and the three-match T20I series against Afghanistan in January.

Back