[VIDEO/PICTURE] An unwelcome sight in cricket - courtesy of the IPL

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
This is truly not needed and I hope IPL put an end to it asap.

==

c138i3p8_amre-dc_625x300_23_April_22.jpg

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.426%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/3dz17o" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Rajasthan Royals defeated Delhi Capitals by 15 runs on Friday at Wankhede Stadium but the match became a huge talking point over what transpired in the final over of the game when Delhi needed 36 to win. Rovman Powell smashed three sixes off the first three balls, but the third delivery of the over was a full toss and Delhi Capitals camp thought it was an over-the-waist no-ball. After it was not called by the on-field officials and when they did not refer it to the third umpire, Delhi Capitals' assistant coach Pravin Amre walked out to the pitch to have a word with the umpires.

After the game, Delhi Capitals' assistant coach Shane Watson said that it was a disappointing incident and this is not what the franchise stands for.

"Look, yeah it was very disappointing with what happened in that last over. We unfortunately were in that position in the game, we were not able to put things together for long enough in that game up until that point. In the end, what we at Delhi Capitals don't stand for is what happened. The umpire's decision, whether it is right or not, we have to accept it. And someone running on the pitch, we cannot accept it. It is not good enough," said Watson while replying to a NDTV query during the virtual post-match press conference.

On the other hand, Kumar Sangakkara, the director of cricket and head coach of Rajasthan Royals said that it is the umpires that control the game and he cannot dictate what is acceptable and what is not.

"I think it is the umpires that control the game. There is a lot of pressure and tension in the IPL. Things can go either way, when you have a situation like that, in the end, the umpires control the situation. And the game went on. That's how I look at it. I don't think I can really dictate what is acceptable and what's not. At the end of the day, it is the players out there who play and the umpires have a tough job in terms of calling the game and our job as support staff is basically to support the players out there and let the game be played," said Sangakkara while replying to NDTV.

On the third ball of the final over, Rajasthan Royals pacer Obed McCoy bowled a full-toss and Powell had smashed it for a six. Delhi Capitals camp thought it was a no-ball and started gesturing towards the on-field officials Nitin Menon and Nikhil Patwardhan.

Delhi Capitals skipper Rishabh Pant also seemed to have asked batters Rovman Powell and Kuldeep Yadav to come back to the dugout. A few minutes later, Delhi Capitals' assistant coach Pravin Amre walked out to the middle and had a word with the umpire.

In the match between Delhi Capitals and Rajasthan Royals, the latter posted 222/2 in 20 overs. Jos Buttler smashed his third ton of the ongoing season.

Chasing 223, Rishabh Pant top-scored with a knock of 44. For Rajasthan Royals, Prasidh Krishna returned with figures of 3-22, including a maiden 19th over of the innings.

https://sports.ndtv.com/ipl-2022/de...s-dc-clash-2912553#pfrom=home-ndtv_topstories

Last edited by a moderator:
The cricket pundits are not mincing words on giving their opinion on the latest no-ball controversy which erupted during an IPL clash between Delhi Capitals and Rajasthan Royals on Friday (April 22).

Former England star player, Kevin Pietersen, who had also represented Delhi franchise in IPL from 2012-2014, slammed Delhi Capitals skipper Rishabh Pant and assistant coach Pravin Amre for stirring the skirmish over a no-ball that was not adjudged by the field umpire during a tense final drama against Rajasthan Royals in their IPL match on Friday.

“It may have disrupted his concentration. It may have disrupted how Rishabh Pant was thinking about the game. That’s more concerning to me than the umpire call, the behaviour of Delhi,” Pietersen told Star Sports.

“I don’t think that would have happened if Ricky Ponting was there. I think Jos Buttler had every right to walk up to Rishabh Pant and say ‘what on earth are you doing?’ to send one of their coaches onto the field and think that was the correct behaviour?

Needing 36 runs from the final over, DC batter Rovman Powell hit three successive sixes from the first three deliveries off Obed McCoy. DC needed another 18 more from the final three deliveries.

At this juncture, Kuldeep Yadav, who was at the non-striker's end, gestured to the umpires demanding that the last delivery be checked for a possible no-ball on height. Powell joined in having a chat with the umpires too. The umpires stood their ground, saying the delivery was legal.

Pant then gestured Powell and Kuldeep to come out though assistant coach Shane Watson tried to reason him out. Another DC coaching staff member Praveen Amre went into the playing arena but was told to go back by the umpires. The match though resumed after a long delay and DC lost by 15 runs.

“We play the gentleman’s game. People make mistakes. How many times have we nicked off or not nicked off and been given out? Been given out LBW when we were not out? Myself and Swanny have played the great game for 20 odd years. And you see stuff like we have seen in the last 30 minutes, it’s not good for the game of cricket. It’s not good at all," Pietersen added.

“I don’t know who they think they are but that was a mistake, that was a huge, huge mistake.

“The biggest mistake is the coach running onto the field and talking to the umpire. I just do not understand the coach, he is a senior figure in those rooms. Rishabh Pant was calling them off. They wanted to walk off. For me, that was unacceptable and I hope I never ever see that again in the game of cricket because that’s not why we play cricket and not how we play cricket,” he further added.

Eventually, the on-field umpire’s call stood and Delhi Capitals went on to lose the match by 15 runs as the break in play seemingly affected Rovman Powell’s momentum.

https://thesportstak.com/cricket-ne...sts-pant-pravin-amre-over-no-ball-controversy

Crowd not happy also at Pant's antics:

Mumbai: Rishabh Pant and company had a match to forget at the Wankhede stadium against the Rajasthan Royals as Delhi were edged out in a thriller by 15 runs, on Friday. The 24-year old stood his ground for calling back his batters after the umpires did not check for a possible waist-high delivery in the dramatic final over of their IPL match against Rajathan Royals, saying he thought it was no-ball and the third umpire should have intervened.

Even the crowds at the stadium were not pleased with the way things happened at the ground. Pant sent Assistant coach Pravin Amre in middle of the ground to inform the umpires about checking the no ball. However, umpires sticked to their decision of not referring the delivery. In a video which went viral last night, crowd can be seen chanting cheater! cheater! as Pant expressed his dissent in front of the umpires after the match.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...d-chants-cheater-watch-video-ipl-2022-1019646

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 50%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/ixpzo1" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Silly and disgraceful by Pant and the DC team, the decision was marginal.
There is a lot of ambiguity over the full toss no balls over the waist and this should be taken away from the umpire and ball tracking has to be used to judge the final point where it would land with respect to the batsman taking into consideration his relative height etc or make it simple and fix a particvular height over which any full toss will be deemed a no ball and DRS and ball tracking to automate and call it.

Silly from Pant..deserves a couple of games ban for this...and it is more silly from the coach who ran to the field consulting the umpires.

I suggest they should learn a thing or two about cricket's mannerism and spirit from New Zealand's captain Kane Williamson.

Delhi Capitals captain, Rishabh Pant has been fined 100 percent of his match-fee for breaching the TATA Indian Premier League’s (IPL) Code of Conduct during his team’s match against Rajasthan Royals at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai.

Mr Pant admitted to the Level 2 offence under Article 2.7 of the IPL Code of Conduct and accepted the sanction.Shardul Thakur from Delhi Capitals has been fined 50 percent of his match-fee for breaching the TATA Indian Premier League’s (IPL) Code of Conduct during his team’s match against Rajasthan Royals at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai.

Mr Thakur admitted to the Level 2 offence under Article 2.8 of the IPL Code of Conduct and accepted the sanction.

Pravin Amre, Assistant Coach, Delhi Capitals has been fined 100 percent of his match-fee for breaching the TATA Indian Premier League’s (IPL) Code of Conduct during his team’s match against Rajasthan Royals at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai. He will also face a one-match ban for the offence.

Mr Amre admitted to the Level 2 offence under Article 2.2 of the IPL Code of Conduct and accepted the sanction.

https://www.iplt20.com/news/3781/ri...-pravin-amre-fined-for-code-of-conduct-breach

Tbh to me that's not a no ball.. ball was dipping on him and Powell was slightly bended..

Silly from Pant..deserves a couple of games ban for this...and it is more silly from the coach who ran to the field consulting the umpires.

I suggest they should learn a thing or two about cricket's mannerism and spirit from New Zealand's captain Kane Williamson.

Young Indian players and the lack of class on show again. These guys are completely lost.

Reminds me of back yard cricket - when one of the guys is out but won't let go of the bat or step aside as he thinks everyone else has got it wrong.

Very childish and unprofessional this.

A disappointed Delhi Capitals captain Rishabh Pant said the third umpire should have "interfered" to check for a possible waist-high no-ball in the dramatic final over of their IPL match against Rajasthan Royals as it proved "precious" for his team. Pant had called back his batters -- Rovman Powell and Kuldeep Yadav -- after the umpires did not check the delivery for a possible no-ball in the last over as DC lost the match by 15 runs.

Asked about the incident at the post-match presentation, Pant said, "I thought the no ball could have been precious for us. I thought we could have checked that no ball, but it's not in my control." Needing 36 runs from the final over, Powell hit three successive sixes from the first three deliveries off Obed McCoy. DC needed another 18 more from the final three deliveries.

At this juncture, Kuldeep, who was at the non-striker's end, gestured to the umpires demanding that the last delivery be checked for a possible no-ball on height.

Powell joined in the discussion with the umpires too but the officials stood their ground, saying the delivery was legal.

Pant then gestured Powell and Kuldeep to walk out though assistant coach Shane Watson tried to reason with him.

"Yes, disappointed, but can't do much about it. Everyone was frustrated because it was not even close, so I thought it was only a no ball. Everyone in the ground saw that," Pant said.

"I think third umpire should have intervened in between and said it was a no ball, but I can't change the rule myself I guess." The incident also saw DC coaching staff member Praveen Amre walk into the playing arena but he was told to go back by the umpires.

RR legspinner Yuzvendra Chahal tried to stop Kuldeep from walking out, while Royals opener Jos Buttler, who hit a match-winning 116, was also seen having words with Pant near the boundary line.

The match eventually resumed after a long delay and DC fell short by 15 runs.

Asked if it was all right to send a team management member onto the field to argue for not calling a no-ball, Pant said, "Obviously it wasn't right, but what happened with us was also not right. It was just the heat of the moment, can't do much about it.

"I think it was the fault of both of the sides, not even only for us because throughout the tournament we have seen some good umpiring." Royals captain Sanju Samson said, "It went for a six, it was a full toss and the umpire gave it a normal ball. But batsman wanted it as a no ball.

"I think umpire made his decision very clear and stuck to it."

NDTV

Delhi Capitals captain, Rishabh Pant has been fined 100 percent of his match-fee for breaching the TATA Indian Premier League’s (IPL) Code of Conduct during his team’s match against Rajasthan Royals at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai.

Mr Pant admitted to the Level 2 offence under Article 2.7 of the IPL Code of Conduct and accepted the sanction.Shardul Thakur from Delhi Capitals has been fined 50 percent of his match-fee for breaching the TATA Indian Premier League’s (IPL) Code of Conduct during his team’s match against Rajasthan Royals at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai.

Mr Thakur admitted to the Level 2 offence under Article 2.8 of the IPL Code of Conduct and accepted the sanction.

Pravin Amre, Assistant Coach, Delhi Capitals has been fined 100 percent of his match-fee for breaching the TATA Indian Premier League’s (IPL) Code of Conduct during his team’s match against Rajasthan Royals at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai. He will also face a one-match ban for the offence.

Mr Amre admitted to the Level 2 offence under Article 2.2 of the IPL Code of Conduct and accepted the sanction.

https://www.iplt20.com/news/3781/ri...-pravin-amre-fined-for-code-of-conduct-breach

Good that they have come down heavily on them. Such behaviour should not be condoned.

Incredible scenes really.

Hot head, big egos...then immediately settles down once Watson finally decides it might look bad if he doesn't get up and say something.

Some of these IPL guys have let it go to their head, and having Kohli as a role model for this new Indian generation is also likely going to have some negative consequences.

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bad sportsman spirit on display by <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DelhiCapitals?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#DelhiCapitals</a> <br>Cricket is a game of gentlemen and this behaviour is completely unacceptable. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IPL20222?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#IPL20222</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DCvsRR?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#DCvsRR</a></p>— Mohammed Azharuddin (@azharflicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/azharflicks/status/1517576562857902080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 22, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good that they have come down heavily on them. Such behaviour should not be condoned.

I disagree with these fines. Even at 100% of match fees. Pant likely has that money in between his couch cushions. Being a multi millionaire, he will not even bat an eyelid.

Match suspensions are the way to go. That is what will hurt.

Incredible scenes really.

Hot head, big egos...then immediately settles down once Watson finally decides it might look bad if he doesn't get up and say something.

Some of these IPL guys have let it go to their head, and having Kohli as a role model for this new Indian generation is also likely going to have some negative consequences.

Yes. Pant yelling, Watson shaking his head and egging Pant on. Other coaching staff and bench players gesturing. In between all of this Jos Butler (from RR) going over to the DC bench and starting a verbal altercation. While on TV the commentators were up and about. I think it was Kevin Peterson who was leading from the booth. It was all happening.

I disagree with these fines. Even at 100% of match fees. Pant likely has that money in between his couch cushions. Being a multi millionaire, he will not even bat an eyelid.

Match suspensions are the way to go. That is what will hurt.

You love to boast about IPL money, don't you? Being a multi millionaire, is he allowed to commit crimes as well? This is what is wrong with Indian society these days. Promoting stuff like this and boasting about someone else's money as if it is their own money lol. :inti

You love to boast about IPL money, don't you? Being a multi millionaire, is he allowed to commit crimes as well? This is what is wrong with Indian society these days. Promoting stuff like this and boasting about someone else's money as if it is their own money lol. :inti

Dont think he is boasting - he is saying it like it is.

I agree that he should be suspended.

This is what you got from that post? Seriously??

Reminds me of back yard cricket - when one of the guys is out but won't let go of the bat or step aside as he thinks everyone else has got it wrong.

Very childish and unprofessional this.

Also, reminds me of Sarfraz Ahmed's behaviour in PSL. Once he got so angry and abusive that Moin Khan had to intervene etc. Hope its just one off for Pant and not regular behaviour like Sarfraz's. :)

Young Indian players and the lack of class on show again. These guys are completely lost.

Yes, one occasion and indian players are lost and have no class.

Pant is young. He made a mistake. BCCI came down on him strongly. He will learn from it

Indian players have a habit of doing this with Indian umpires: appealing for a wicket while charging at their face, questioning their decisions right or wrong. It needs to stop.

Also, reminds me of Sarfraz Ahmed's behaviour in PSL. Once he got so angry and abusive that Moin Khan had to intervene etc. Hope its just one off for Pant and not regular behaviour like Sarfraz's. :)

These guys should be setting an example not behaving like spoilt brats.

Indian players have a habit of doing this with Indian umpires: appealing for a wicket while charging at their face, questioning their decisions right or wrong. It needs to stop.

Only proper punishments will stop it from happening, but many many opportunities were missed to set an example of Kohli. Now the poison may have set into the system.

This is an incredibly wrong behavior.

Anyone who behaves like this should be suspended and fined.

Cricket is a gentlemen's game. Keep it that way. If umpire gives a decision, that is final.

This is an incredibly wrong behavior.

Anyone who behaves like this should be suspended and fined.

Cricket is a gentlemen's game. Keep it that way. If umpire gives a decision, that is final.

It is turning into a game of multi-millionaires especially in IPL. :rabada2 :inti

Completely unacceptable then what is the need of umpire its stink on IPl and the franchise the league should show its authority and Dock points of DC how about docking 6 points

Should had been banned for a match too. DC will definitely tell him to calm down.

IPL 2022: Jimmy Neesham Fires Back At Glenn Maxwell After Aussie Takes Dig At Umpires Over No Ball Incident

Last over drama prevailed at the Wankhede Stadium as Rajasthan Royals took on Delhi Capitals in IPL 2022 encounter. Delhi Capitals were in hot pursuit of a mammoth 223-run target and needed 36 runs off last six balls. West Indies’ Rovman Powell went after the bowler slamming him for three back-to-back sixes, reducing the equation to 18 off 3 balls. It was here that the drama really began as the third ball he hit off Obed McCoy was a full toss. Delhi Capitals was convinced that it was a chest-high no-ball and must be called so which meant not only an extra run but also a free hit. Delhi Capitals could have made a match out of it!

And that’s why there was desperation from Rishabh Pant which was expressed by the whole dugout. As can be seen in the video, Pant, at one point, asked assistant coach Praveen Amre to rush to the field. So frustrated was Pant that he even signaled his batters to walk out. This was criticized fair and square by the former England captain Kevin Pietersen. Meanwhile, World Cup winner Shane Watson, who in DC support staff, also rushed to Pant and tried and pacified the matter.

Meanwhile the incident left the whole cricket world polarised. Now, Australia’s Glenn Maxwell has taken a dig at the umpires for not checking the chest high no ball. So umpires check no balls for front foot every ball, but can’t check a high full toss? Makes sense…” he tweeted.

Retorting to this claim, RR team member and Maxwell’s Trans Tasman rival James Neesham too came out with a tweet, saying that it wasn’t a no ball. “knee high,” he said, implying that it wasn’t a no-ball.

DC staff had started protesting very early after the ball was bowled. It was Kuldeep Yadav, who was at the nonstriker’s end, who protested first. Kuldeep, who was at the non-striker’s end, gestured to the umpires demanding that the last delivery be checked for a possible no-ball on height. Powell joined in having a chat with the umpires too. The umpires stood their ground, saying the delivery was legal.

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...at-umpires-over-no-ball-incident-5042983.html

Mumbai Indians coach and ICC Hall of Famer Mahela Jayawardena wants to see greater communication between video umpires and on-field adjudicators and has called for change.

Jayawardena, speaking on The ICC Review, has made the recommendation on the back of the controversial finish to the IPL match between Delhi Capitals and Rajasthan Royals last week, where the umpires on the field seemingly missed a clear-cut waist-high full toss in the final over of the run chase.

The DC camp were infuriated with the missed call, as skipper Rishabh Pant displayed his displeasure from the bench and assistant coach Pravin Amre stormed onto the field to approach the umpires about the decision as the Royals held on for the victory.

Both Pant and Amre were fined 100 per cent of their match fee for their behaviour and Amre was also handed a one-match ban for entering the field, a move condemned by Jayawardena.

Clause 21.5 of the ICC Playing Conditions states "The third umpire shall review television replays of the bowler’s front foot landing and, if he/she is satisfied that any of these three conditions have not been met, he/she shall immediately advise the bowler’s end umpire who shall in turn immediately call and signal No ball."

However, the clause makes no mention of the third umpire being able to check for waist-high full tosses and Jayawardena has urged authorities to use the incident in the IPL as a wake-up call to make better use of video umpires in the future.

"It is something going forward that I think we need to look at," Jayawardena told Sanjana Ganesan on The ICC Review.

"Is there an option for the third umpire to look at these things and inform the main umpires that it is a delivery that should be checked?

"It was disappointing to see that when you stop a game and have people come on to the field, but I honestly believe it was just emotions carrying over in the last over.

"A couple of sixes were hit and there was an opportunity that probably the umpires did get wrong.

"But the rules say you can’t go to the third umpire to check on those things.”

Jayawardena said it was not a good look for the game to have Amre enter the playing field to dispute the decision.

"The spirit of the game and to see things moving forward, it is never an option for a player or a coach to come on to the field,” Jayawardena said.

"We (coaches) have the ability to come on to the field during the strategic time out at the IPL and that should be the only time that coaches or anyone else should be allowed (on the field)."

Jayawardena said he discussed the incident with his Mumbai Indians squad and reminded them of their obligations during a match.

"We saw it on television ... most of the guys were watching it together and afterwards we had a chat,” the Sri Lanka legend said.

"We probably would have reacted (similarly) in the dugout, but it is never an option to go on to the field.

"That is not the way things should be and I am pretty sure that both Rishabh and Pravin would both regret what happened.

"I think Rishabh said it was the emotions ... I think we need to give him the benefit of the doubt and move on."

Jayawardena's current thoughts are on trying to help his side move off the bottom of the IPL table and register their first win of the tournament.

The star-studded MI have yet to gel through eight winless matches and Jayawardena said his team’s batters need to lift their performance.

"For us, it is mainly with our batters, and that has been highlighted in the last few games as well,” he said.

"We have been in positions (to win) but have not been able to execute.

"It is tough for both coaches and players as well because every game becomes even more harder to cross that line (and get that first win).

"We are taking it one game at a time, trying to settle everyone down … and the players need to trust their ability and back themselves more as the tournament progresses."

Jayawardena has already won three IPL titles as a coach in Mumbai but admits he is still working on finding the right way to pass on the advice given to him by the likes of former coaches Dav Whatmore and Tom Moody to his side's younger players.

The Sri Lanka great, who was inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame at the end of last year, said each new day as a coach provides him with fresh challenges and outlooks that he attempts to pass on to his players.

"There are quite a few different ways you have to approach this new generation," Jayawardena acknowledged when asked about his modern coaching philosophies.

"It helps me to know what I have learnt and how it can be transferred to the new generation because the game has different demands at the moment with all the different formats.

"Every day we are learning about different competitions and different tactics."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2592546/

Last edited:
Back