[VIDEOS] Fakhar Zaman - Pakistan's most frustrating batter?

Concerned

Tape Ball Star
Runs
Does anyone else get annoyed at Fakhar Zamman performances? He has played over 100 international games yet still finds methods to self destruct his own dismissals.

He is Pakistan most impactful batsmen and biggest match winner. Yet after playing for so long, one would hope he matures like Rohit and Warner in constructing an innings.

I feel he has to date really under achieved, especially in T20.

The way he has been treated by Babar Azam is frustrating

Nearly 50 games as an opener in t20s and he failed. Don’t run away again.

Fans need to accept that if we want batsmen to take risks, be aggressive, higher SRs etc then you have to accept they will also fail along the way.

Players like Fakhar will not have Babar-levels of consistency.

Fans need to accept that if we want batsmen to take risks, be aggressive, higher SRs etc then you have to accept they will also fail along the way.

And players like Babar/Rizwan/Abdullah will not have a Fakhar like impact

Exactly. If you want more accumulators then sure, you'll see less of that. You want more aggressive type batsmen to play the modern game? Well, this happens sometimes.

It’s noted that he’s aggressive, but no one wants him to belt the first ball being faced after a dismissal out the ground. It’s not a super over.

The way he has been treated by Babar Azam is frustrating

How has he been treated by Babar?

Fakhar should be grateful he wasn't dropped after he completely flopped as an opener in t20i. The guy averaged 8-10 for 20-25 matches before being demoted to number 3. There wasn't much difference between a number 10 and him. Yet still people complain about his treatment. If we had a half decent batsman, fakhar wouldn't be anywhere near the national team.

He is regarded as an explosive batsman yet his SR is about the same as Babar and Rizwan, who aren't even considered as t20I players by some.

In short, Fakhar has been treated very well.

How has he been treated by Babar?

Fakhar should be grateful he wasn't dropped after he completely flopped as an opener in t20i. The guy averaged 8-10 for 20-25 matches before being demoted to number 3. There wasn't much difference between a number 10 and him. Yet still people complain about his treatment. If we had a half decent batsman, fakhar wouldn't be anywhere near the national team.

He is regarded as an explosive batsman yet his SR is about the same as Babar and Rizwan, who aren't even considered as t20I players by some.

In short, Fakhar has been treated very well.

True he has the second lowest strike rate in T20 from yesterday top 6. Either he has been lucky being selected or shows the extent of his hit and miss matches

He seems to get out a lot to the type of shot he played in the last T20.

He needs to cut down on scooping the ball in the arc from leg to mid-off. If can concentrate more on anticipation of the ball to be bowled and shot selection rather than trying to hit every shot for a boundary, he can become more successful.

As far as his one day career is concerned I don’t think he has been frustrating. An average of 47 and a SR of 95, with several memorable and match winning innings to boot in that format show his success .

His T20 career has been frustrating, and I would say his stats in that format reflect that .

However he still has the amazing ability to perform when it matters and the X factor. I think the management recognise that and back him along with Babar .
His t20 semi final knock slipped under the radar a bit but that was one amazing knock .

He is a gun fielder , and a selfless team member which add to his value .

Last edited:
Yes Hes frustrating in t20s Just needs to give himself bit more time and do away with his tendency to slog to the leg which is his undoing 9/10

He cant ride on goodwill all the time n needs to think more about his t20 game

Fakhar is a very hardworking cricketer when new to international arena he was a proper hack a better version of Awais ZIA you can say but with time he has worked or modified his technique and developed some range of shots still he is a very limited batsman that's why he is frustrating

Against good bowling where his weaknesses are targeted he still struggles. Also in a pressure game his game vs spinners haven’t been anything to write about.

That Zimbabwe series, double ton vs RSA he doesn’t really have that great.

The issue is that whilst he makes runs at times, technically he has several faults and those faults mean that the bowlers always stand a chance.

Against better bowlers he struggles due to the flaws he has and that's why consistency has been a problem.

The issue is that whilst he makes runs at times, technically he has several faults and those faults mean that the bowlers always stand a chance.

Against better bowlers he struggles due to the flaws he has and that's why consistency has been a problem.

He still averages close to 50 at a SR of almost 100. He is far better than the alternatives we have, and can single handledly win us matches.

I would take that any day of the week.

He still averages close to 50 at a SR of almost 100. He is far better than the alternatives we have, and can single handledly win us matches.

I would take that any day of the week.

A poor average of 22 in T20Is though.

He is an incredible player that Pakistan is lucky to have.

I don't get what Pakistan fans want. Some people don't seem to be satisfied with anything. Babar and Rizwan are "too slow", Fakhar Zaman is ''frustrating'', like what do you want?

The way Fakhar plays there is always a level of risk attached to his batting. But you hedge your bets because the firepower he provides at the top is much more important. And if he was averaging 30 your argument would have some merit.

But Fakhar Zaman averages 45 with a SR of 95. Those are world-class numbers for any opener. There isn't a single Pakistani opener in history with such an amazing average/strike-rate ratio.

You think he can't play mature innings? Go watch the highlights of his 193 against South Africa, the 101 in the match after that or the 114 vs India in the CT Final.

Rohit Sharma has played 230 ODIs, Warner has played 128 ODIs. Fakhar has played 56. So that comparison in itself makes no sense.

Instead of spouting every unfounded opinion that comes to our mind, I think its time we started being a little grateful for the match-winners we have.

+1

A poor average of 22 in T20Is though.

True, I believe he has underperformed in T20Is considering potential. Even with his style of play and the way other top order batsmen of similar aggressive style, he should be averaging in mid-late 20s and ideally early 30s (Roy, Bairstow, Warner as few examples) though one can argue that he is currently not opening but, actually his average while opening in 36 innings was 22 and has improved to be 26 since he has started batting at no 3 (SR has been impacted a bit though).

I wont be surprised if his average goes up by fair amount in the next season or two if he plays the way he can in T20Is. His consistency in PSL 7 for LQ was outstanding and delivered his best ever season in PSL.

Last edited:
Fakhar's ODI stats are greatly boosted also by his numbers against Zimbabwe:

517 runs at an average of 172.33

Fakhar's ODI stats are greatly boosted also by his numbers against Zimbabwe:

517 runs at an average of 172.33

A fair point but every batsman has inflated stats against certain teams .

Fakhar still averages 50 plus against South Africa and India.

45 against New Zealand and 35 against England.

The only team where has struggled you can say is against Australia where he averages 25.

He also averages 50 plus in South Africa and New Zealand.

On the whole a very solid career thus far with a deadly SR of 95.

A fair point but every batsman has inflated stats against certain teams .

Fakhar still averages 50 plus against South Africa and India.

45 against New Zealand and 35 against England.

The only team where has struggled you can say is against Australia where he averages 25.

He also averages 50 plus in South Africa and New Zealand.

On the whole a very solid career thus far with a deadly SR of 95.

Overall his ODI career is ok, but his T20I record should be much better.

Fakhar is a real gem, works hard even during time off. Was even stuck in traffic during the PTI Peshawar jalsa!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="it" dir="ltr">bhai ma he tha wu <a href="https://t.co/46MydEKM4D">https://t.co/46MydEKM4D</a> <a href="https://t.co/lbkLUKOsnx">pic.twitter.com/lbkLUKOsnx</a></p>— Fakhar Zaman (@FakharZamanLive) <a href="https://twitter.com/FakharZamanLive/status/1514342047829921802?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 13, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hope to see some magic from Fakhar today.

Out for 11 today...

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/h5d2q7" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Fakhar out for 35 (48) in the 3rd ODI, becoming Nicholas Pooran's first ever international wicket in the process.

Completes a disappointing series for him, just 63 runs across the 3 games.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/ea3cnw" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Last edited:
Pakistan can afford a hitter on top of the order , there is nothing wrong with that. Pakistan should stick with Fakhar on top.

In Fact he should be used as a bowler as well , that will keep him more involved in the game.

Problem for pakistan is that as a combo fakhar and imam are pretty poor. Im sure lots of people will start throwing up stats.

Almost every PP - we get fakhar taking his time to get himself in (which is ok sometimes) however, there is very little strike rotation and add to that imam very rarely takes any risks in the PP. which means both openers get bogged down.

Imam doesnt care about that as he will just bat at one pace then later on play a few big shots and his strike rate looks good. fakhar once he gets bogged down plays a dumb shot and gets out. The 1st 10 overs are a waste of time for pakistan.

if you actually look at CT win, while FZ started off slowly Azhar Ali played with intent to take pressure of at other end. batting isnt just about what 1 batsmen does, its about batting in pairs.

FZ approach early on will continue to see struggles as a batting unit early on imam/babar etc.. suck life out of inns and that puts more pressure of FZ which mentally he cant handle.

One of the few batters in the side whose strike rate increases the longer he plays.

Frustrating today

He is a high caliber white ball player and should have scored a 150+ score against this minow side.

Working hard with Mohammad Yousuf

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/265182" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Frustrating today

He is a high caliber white ball player and should have scored a 150+ score against this minow side.

Jumps down the crease and takes too many risks for my liking.

Any international team in their own backyard is not easy.

Working hard with Mohammad Yousuf

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/265182" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Never seen multi coloured balls in a cricket match :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Very frustrating! What happened to his strike rate?

Du9Ks1S.png

Seems lost even when he’s batting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very lethargic in the field. Dropped the chance of Kohli and then didn't even sprint for another half chance when Rohit was batting.

He’s one of our best fielders and even best catcher . Today’s catch was tough.

He’s one of our best fielders and even best catcher . Today’s catch was tough.

Should have caught it if he's one of the best catchers.

That could have changed the course of the match.

Was a very poor today Why was he walking off Let the umpire make the decision and drops kohli on top of that

He is being ruined by this pathetic Babar/Rizwan love combo!

A gun opening batsman being forced to accommodate two accumulators playing selfish cricket!

He is being ruined by this pathetic Babar/Rizwan love combo!

A gun opening batsman being forced to accommodate two accumulators playing selfish cricket!

He came to the crease pretty early today - what is the excuse now? 🤔

Should have caught it if he's one of the best catchers.

That could have changed the course of the match.

You are forgetting that he is a left hander. Who was the genius to put him in 2nd slip
Kohli was always a suspect to offer a catch there.

Fakhar is a gun fielder and a better opener

He came to the crease pretty early today - what is the excuse now? 🤔

Was he opening like Babar/Rizwan were and being allowed to have an over of dots like Rizwan did????

Fakhar is an opener or nothing

End of story!

Was he opening like Babar/Rizwan were and being allowed to have an over of dots like Rizwan did????

Fakhar is an opener or nothing

End of story!
Fakhar was given 40 odd games as an opener and flopped end of story.

Last 5 T20I innings:

Last 5 T20I innings:

I sometimes get the feeling that while obviously he loves to be part of the team, he is not fully happy with not opening the batting in the format (Of course team combination comes first but, just talking from Fakhar's point of view here). While he himself is to blame mainly considering he only averaged 22 while opening as well showing lack of consistency.

However, he was the highest run scorer in PSL 7 opening the batting for LQ showing a lot of consistency with most 50s he has ever scored in any T20 tournament if I am not wrong. Another thing is that average difference is almost negligible while opening the batting (22.56) and batting at no 3 (25) but, SR gets impacted significantly going down from 136 to 123.

Maybe deserves another shot at opening the batting but, then tough to change current pair as well. Bit of a dilemma.

Last edited:
I sometimes get the feeling that while obviously he loves to be part of the team, he is not fully happy with not opening the batting in the format (Of course team combination comes first but, just talking from Fakhar's point of view here). While he himself is to blame mainly considering he only averaged 22 while opening as well showing lack of consistency.

However, he was the highest run scorer in PSL 7 opening the batting for LQ showing a lot of consistency with most 50s he has ever scored in any T20 tournament if I am not wrong. Another thing is that average difference is almost negligible while opening the batting (22.56) and batting at no 3 (25) but, SR gets impacted significantly going down from 136 to 123.

Maybe deserves another shot at opening the batting but, then tough to change current pair as well. Bit of a dilemma.

Agree with your point here. Fakhar was anyway trying to settle down in T20 format and thinktank rotated him all over the place in batting order except where he naturally fits in that is opening slot.

As if it's cast in the stone that no matter how much team suffer the opening combination is untouchable

Agree with your point here. Fakhar was anyway trying to settle down in T20 format and thinktank rotated him all over the place in batting order except where he naturally fits in that is opening slot.

As if it's cast in the stone that no matter how much team suffer the opening combination is untouchable

I am a massive Fakhar fan ,but the fact that his average is 22 shows their are consistency issues in his T20 career. He has adjusted to the number 3 position to an extent but he can do a lot more .

He needs to have the mindset that he will bat till the 20th over as he is capable of doing anything at the end as he showed in the Semi final last year

Why is Fakhar in the slip corner he should be fielding in the outfield.

Big day for Fakhar tonight - needs to come to the party for Pakistan

Needs to show something with the Bat today otherwise good riddance.

I dont think he realizes this but he had 6 critical mis fields today, like come on.

A useless player!!! Neither catch, bat or field. Most like match loosing fielding like previous match.

I'm happy to ignore this considering he's won us a much more important match against India in the past but needs to make up with the bat today still.

He cost us last match now today. Pathetic need to get rid of these useless players

This guy might have cost Pakistan the match. If he didn’t concede the two boundaries in the final two balls, India would have been restricted to under 180 and Pakistan would have the momentum. Now the momentum is with India, thanks to Fakhar.

This guy might have cost Pakistan the match. If he didn’t concede the two boundaries in the final two balls, India would have been restricted to under 180 and Pakistan would have the momentum. Now the momentum is with India, thanks to Fakhar.

Lets relax a bit.

8 runs will not lose the game here.

Lets relax a bit.

8 runs will not lose the game here.

It is is about the mindset. Conceding two boundaries in the final two balls due to Fakhar’s misfielding could have a psychological effect on Pakistan batsmen.

It is is about the mindset. Conceding two boundaries in the final two balls due to Fakhar’s misfielding could have a psychological effect on Pakistan batsmen.

Hopefully has a psychological effect on FZ and he turns up

He's in now and Pakistan need something special from him.

Back