[VIDEOS] Fakhar Zaman - Pakistan's most frustrating batter?

Fakhar Zaman, reflecting on his match-winning century against India in the final of the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 during an interview on a podcast:

"One night before that match, I was very sick. I told Mickey Arthur I wouldn't be able to play tomorrow. Until 3:00 am, I was with the physio, and Mickey Arthur told me, "Even if you get out on the first ball, you will play the match tomorrow."
Fakhar zaman, the greatest white ball cricket to play for Pakistan since the horrible Misbah era and onwards.

Babar, Chacha amd rizwan are conmen

the way saim is playing its better to drop him and try fakhar as an opener because he is the only one who can make full use of PP compare to any other batsman.

the way saim is playing its better to drop him and try fakhar as an opener because he is the only one who can make full use of PP compare to any other batsman.
He’s the only one you want to be at the crease for long as he gets more and more dangerous the longer he stays in

Babar and Rizwan only become more and more dangerous for their own team the longer they remain at the crease

I guess dropping saim will be too harsh for him. This guy has earned his spot so might as well keep him in the team. Fakhar as nothing to show as an opener when compared to Saim as an opener in PSL. Fakhar has made peace with number 4 spot and he is making that number his own permanently.

Fakhar should stay at 4.
Fakhar could be only better utilized as an openner, if u see at #4 he scored runs but his SR was pathetic, he is the one who can make better use of power play, so why not use him as per his capabilities?

Fakhar Zaman, during a media interaction at a practice session ahead of the Ireland and England series, said:

"Preparation for the World Cup always begins quite early. We can't underestimate any match, whether it's against India, West Indies, or any other country. At the international level, you can't afford to underestimate any team, as we saw with the New Zealand team giving us a tough time during the series, despite several key players being absent."

"Matches against India receive a lot of hype from the media, but during player and management meetings, we try to remain relaxed. The media often tries to add pressure to the players' minds, but we aim to take it easier."

"Head coach Azhar Mahmood has clarified the roles of batters and bowlers in the team. As a professional, I am prepared to bat at any position. Given the amount of cricket we have played, the batting position doesn't make much difference. I discuss plans with the management and have been informed that I will bat at the fourth position."

"I aim to perform in every match and contribute to the team's victories, but T20 cricket requires taking risks, and luck plays a part. My goal is to score runs quickly. My strike rate can improve further, and I'm working on that. It's true that our middle order performance hasn't been strong, and the team is trying to adjust its mindset to align with modern cricket."

Last edited:
If they were the same age yes. But Saim is the future, and we probably have to give him more chances.

It would have been better to try fakhar first as opener, before giving Saim a chance. But now we have given Saim a chance we can’t turn back. And fakhar is doing well enough at 4 now to hold his place, when he hasn’t been performing for years.

It’s funny there was no rush for Saim and yet we were decelerate to rush him in. Fakhar was getting on, in his prime with an incredible ODI World Cup, great PSL the one before (not recent one) and yet no urgency to try opening with him again despite running out of time to open with him again. For Saim it was too early, for Fakhar too late.

During an interview on a YouTube channel, Salman Butt criticized the slow batting approach of Fakhar Zaman during the 1st T20I between Ireland and Pakistan:

"Fakhar Zaman's slow start increases pressure. If he fails to compensate later and gets out, it burdens others. After Babar and Rizwan, if Fakhar also takes up too much time, it becomes difficult to manage."

During an interview on a YouTube channel, Salman Butt criticized the slow batting approach of Fakhar Zaman during the 1st T20I between Ireland and Pakistan:

"Fakhar Zaman's slow start increases pressure. If he fails to compensate later and gets out, it burdens others. After Babar and Rizwan, if Fakhar also takes up too much time, it becomes difficult to manage."

So Fakhar was to blame?

Let's see the narrative

Fakhar: Starts slow but makes up for it with monster scores. Making him an odi special. But for some reason not a t20 opener .

Remember last year when fakhar had a poor cpl, only to return with a 60 ball 100?

Babar and rizwan: Start slow and end slow.

Salman butt is probs the worst player to ever represent Pakistan in the media and on the game.

Actually no, he's not probs, he's the worst hands dowm

That’s the issue with fakhar. Which is why he’s not the greatest solution to fix powerplay issues. He might perform but he’s not going to do it in the powerplay he’s going to get the bulk of his runs afterwards when powerplay has finished.

I think it’s actually more of an issue with talent. Fakhar isn’t talented enough. Which kind of makes you respect his achievements and even more honestly that he’s overcome such a big flaw.

Guys like Sharjeel never had that issue. Looking at Fakhar just makes you imagine how good Sharjeel could have been had he had good fitness, worked on his game and not fixed. Just couldn’t be bothered unlike fakhar.

Yes. And Gabriel Jesus should play LB for Arsenal.

What do you think boys? @topspin @Amjid Javed

Fakhar on form has to open and receive the full backing from his captain and management.

You can’t keep shifting him merely to serve the interests of his shameless stat padding and milestone chasing colleagues.

As for shamaan’s posts, his material is something I would expect from a parody accout. This is what you get when you buy Rohit Sharma from wish. Sharma -> Shamaan.

@Rana @topspin - never understood the whole fakhar at 4 in T20s, the guys as LOI opener, so use him their. But instead we get Babar and rizwan hogging those spots in past.

no logic with this pakistan team

I've given up watching them. Just not worth watching under Babar's leadership. No way am I subjugating to myself with all that. If I want to do that, all I have to do is play a horror film.

@Rana @topspin - never understood the whole fakhar at 4 in T20s, the guys as LOI opener, so use him their. But instead we get Babar and rizwan hogging those spots in past.

Yes AJ

Pakistan is playing Fakhar at 4 because he’s the best option considering his talent apparently according to @PakEngFan

I mean Arsenal has a hole at LB position and Jesus can’t seem to find a starting position…we can ask him to play there as a footballer over a proper LB?

Fakhar is consistently playing T20Is based on his ODI cricket exploits. He has barely ever performed in this format.

Was terrible as an opener aswell. Has had almost as long a career as a T20 opener than as a number 3/4, yet people cannot stop making excuses for him.

Fakhar is consistently playing T20Is based on his ODI cricket exploits. He has barely ever performed in this format.

Was terrible as an opener aswell. Has had almost as long a career as a T20 opener than as a number 3/4, yet people cannot stop making excuses for him.
So kick him out

Why is Pakistan clinging on to him?

He either opens or he is discarded

That's not the point.

The point Is fakhar is an opener. If he's not performing then you drop him as an opener and choose amother opener.

Rizwan amd babar are not openers, or well they weren't before their random promotions y Misbah.

If the team thinks fakhar should play based of his odi talent, then you play them in their position plain and simple, otherwise you drop him, because you now have a waste of a batter and you're shooting yourself in the foot y playing 10 players instead of 11.

Tumara hi Nuqsan ho ga, Hamara nahi.

Besides England that adopts a bazzball approach and shuffles the entire squad from 1-7 24/7,

Name any other team that does this? Do you see Australia batting warmer and travis head at 6 and 7 for Labu To open? No? If Warner fails, then mcfraser replaces him, plain and simple, not a middle order batsmen like labu.

Yes AJ

Pakistan is playing Fakhar at 4 because he’s the best option considering his talent apparently according to @PakEngFan

I mean Arsenal has a hole at LB position and Jesus can’t seem to find a starting position…we can ask him to play there as a footballer over a proper LB?
I know it's hard for you to understand he flopped as an opener and flopped this Psl.

I've given up watching them. Just not worth watching under Babar's leadership. No way am I subjugating to myself with all that. If I want to do that, all I have to do is play a horror film.
I've never been a huge fan of T20, on top of that the current PCB set up has sucked the life out of Pakistani crocket in all formats.

The messing up of a favourable test cycle when we had home series vs Eng, Aus and NZ and played like cowards.

The ODI team essentially being a play for your own milestone, which was then exposed and humilated in world cup in India

Now the one format Pakistan were decent at they are playing like club cricketers.

Yeah this team isn't world beaters but when focus is solely on players playing for themselves you can tell pakistans at its lowest eb from as a product that anyone would want to watch.

Yeah babar as a captain is one of worst, his spoilt brat attitude is not what Pakistan needs right now

Everyone knows Fakhar is slow to start his inns, so having him in middle order makes no sense. He just spends time scratching around and getting out.

Yeah his opening T20 record isn't breathtaking, but he's only player capable of really doing damage in PP and also longer he bats he can be destructive. However, if team don't think he's performing as a opener then just don't pick him at all

He played a blinder against australia in the tri series final. And then his innings against australia in the t20 World Cup semi final single handedly carried our batting that day.

But the issue is clear - he is slow to settle into the innings. He needs guys around him to take the risks as its worth the effort him getting in. Because he will easily strike at 180+ when settled. But instead he has always played with slow players meaning he has to take the risks early and ends up getting out.

He played a blinder against australia in the tri series final. And then his innings against australia in the t20 World Cup semi final single handedly carried our batting that day.

But the issue is clear - he is slow to settle into the innings. He needs guys around him to take the risks as its worth the effort him getting in. Because he will easily strike at 180+ when settled. But instead he has always played with slow players meaning he has to take the risks early and ends up getting out.
This is why his natural partner should always have been Sharjeel.

Sharjeel doesn’t have that problem. Sharjeel LOVES pace, and Sharjeel loves to lace pace through the off-side and off his hips.

Pakistan messed up big time by not letting these two become their openers

This is why his natural partner should always have been Sharjeel.

Sharjeel doesn’t have that problem. Sharjeel LOVES pace, and Sharjeel loves to lace pace through the off-side and off his hips.

Pakistan messed up big time by not letting these two become their openers
Pakistan did it deliberately though? Misbah was incharge? No? At that time?

Misbah would have never let these 2 open together. It's against his playing 1992 era cricket in a t20 match mantra.

If Misbah came back we'd probs have a squad of

1) Babar/ Rizwan
2) Shehzad (100% he'd come back lol)
3) Babar/ Rizwan
4) Shan
5) Kushdil shah
6) Chacha
7) Shadab Khan
8) Nawaz
9) Shaheen
10) Hasan Ali
11) Haris Rauf

Esit: Sorry, Kushdil shah at 5 lol

Fakhar is way too inconsistent, one world class knock followed by ten failures.

Fakhar is way too inconsistent, one world class knock followed by ten failures.
Well considering those world class knocks are enough to make saeed Anwar impressed, he can't be dropped.

Looking at the charts his career peaked (if you can call that ) in 2018 with a strike rate of 142. Since Jan, 1, 2019 here are the T20 stats of Fakhar

58 matches 977 runs 19.83 avge 124.45 strike rate 6 fifties.

Distinctly mediocre. I don't think he is a T20 player. An ODI Player where he can take his time before accelerating.

Looking at the charts his career peaked (if you can call that ) in 2018 with a strike rate of 142. Since Jan, 1, 2019 here are the T20 stats of Fakhar

58 matches 977 runs 19.83 avge 124.45 strike rate 6 fifties.

Distinctly mediocre. I don't think he is a T20 player. An ODI Player where he can take his time before accelerating.
He is most lethal against spinners that’s why management is trying to play him at number 4-5. He is somebody who can easily hit 2-3 sixes in an over off a spinner. His biggest issue like most Pakistani players is that he can’t get going straight away.

He is most lethal against spinners that’s why management is trying to play him at number 4-5. He is somebody who can easily hit 2-3 sixes in an over off a spinner. His biggest issue like most Pakistani players is that he can’t get going straight away.
I am not sure that is flattering either since 2019. Strike rate of 117.95 against spin. May be in one dayers?

Screenshot-2024-05-11-225052e.png

I am not sure that is flattering either since 2019. Strike rate of 117.95 against spin. May be in one dayers?

Screenshot-2024-05-11-225052e.png
2018 was his best T20I year. I think you should include that also for a better perspective.

He has done well against spinners in ODIs mostly.

But k we all I agree with your post, he is an average T20 player. He has never consistently produced good performances in T20s.

Fakhar has a pretty awkward technique which can easily get exploited by the bowlers. He is guy who can change the game on his own but he need some time in the middle before he can adjust his technique according to conditions. No coach can make him change his technique now, he is living with it so he should be looking to excel with it. He has been doing fine since last few games so I will still keep him in the team. We cannot drop a clutch player but one thing should be kept in mind that, we should not be dragging a dead weight as well.

2018 was his best T20I year. I think you should include that also for a better perspective.

He has done well against spinners in ODIs mostly.

But k we all I agree with your post, he is an average T20 player. He has never consistently produced good performances in T20s.

He is okay against left-arm spinners striking at 152/wrist spinners 125. But against off-spinners, his strike rate drops down to 98.

Fakhar is fine at 3/4 for T20. He has the ability to change gears which no other top order batsmen is able to do.

Problem remains which is Pakistan have too many accumulators in the line up. Without taking risks 200 will not easily be achieved.

@PakEngFan can you please explain the cricket science behind playing an opener who has flopped in his position as an opener at number 4?
He's averaging 26 with Sr of 151. It's rocket science for you to understand that averaging 22 with Sr of 135 is better than average of 26 with Sr 151.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sorry but I’m going to have to take a pretty rough approach on this.

4 years running and this nonsense of Fakhar being justified as a middle order batsman is taking the cake

He's averaging 26 with Sr of 151. It's rocket science for you to understand that averaging 22 with Sr of 135 is better than average of 26 with Sr 151.
Of course it won’t make sense if Fakhar plays everywhere else besides Pakistan as an opener…and then it’s the likes of you who are desperate to take digs at him when he plays like he did the other day.

Also, cut out the personal attack nonsense. I’ve been fairly kind towards you because I feel something isn’t right with you. If you continue, I will definitely ruin your year 2024. Do you understand me?

Exactly. Fakhar has always been inconsistent in this format. But he has ability to strike big. So why not use his striking ability in the middle order where we lack. I suspect it will take a little bit more time for Fakhar to get adjusted but 20-30 quick runs even at 150+ SR will help this team.

Slow start but - lots of balls to play so lets see how he fashions his innings.

Fakhar is back to his baseball style cricket, what a timely 50 he struck tonight hopefully he will fininsh the game now!

100 was there for the taking.
Against such pathetic attack you need to make it count. small ground, flat track and military medium pacers.

Missed out on his 100.

Slow start but - lots of balls to play so lets see how he fashions his innings.
He always starts slow, but is only player in team that can make up for slow starts, as he has gears he can through.

Still think he should be batting higher up though

Shadab is actually the only batsman in the team that has a SR of 140+. He has won you games with the bat against good opposition, so yes if Saim, Azam, Asif, Khushdil etc are batsmen, Shadab is definitely much better.
So you agree Sunil Narine is a better T20 opener than Babar and Rizwan?

View attachment 143801

Stats suggest he is playing better at no. 4 than as an opener in T20Is

Now is the time to refute the claim that Fakhar Zaman is a number 4 batsman. This assertion is propagated by fans of Rizwan, allowing him the opportunity to consistently open and boost his batting average.

Fakhar has featured in 12 matches batting at the fourth position, with three of them occurring in 2021.

In the initial match, he recorded a score of 0. In the subsequent game, he managed 26 runs, entering the field when the score was already at 175. Finally, in the third encounter, he contributed 15 runs to the team's total.

The remaining nine games took place in 2024 against New Zealand's school team and Ireland. It's difficult to gauge his performance against these teams. To truly evaluate his abilities, we need to observe how he performs against stronger opposition He effectively fulfilled his role against weaker teams where others had struggled.

if we even break the 9 2024 games in the first game he scored 15, coming in the 5th over

the 2nd game he scored a 50 and he came in when we lost 2 early wickets score was 10/2 and he came in the 2nd over

the 3rd game he scored 19 and the 4th game he scored a 9, in the 5th game he scored 33

now coming in the 6th game he scored 61 when again we lost 2 early wickets, he came in the 4th over when the score was 40/2

in the 7th game he scored a 43 coming in the 14th over and then in the 8th 20 coming in the 14th over again

in the 9th game he scored a 78 coming in the 2nd over when the score was 13/2

this clearly shows if you want big score from fakhar of 50's 60's 70's he need to be coming in early overs

Now is the time to refute the claim that Fakhar Zaman is a number 4 batsman. This assertion is propagated by fans of Rizwan, allowing him the opportunity to consistently open and boost his batting average.
And they make this assertion as if they are sincere towards the improvement of Pakistan cricket.

They are not. They are dishonest, because no sane and honest individual would argue Fakhar should be at 4 whilst Rizwan or Babar occupy a number 1 and 2 spot

Fakhar has featured in 12 matches batting at the fourth position, with three of them occurring in 2021.

In the initial match, he recorded a score of 0. In the subsequent game, he managed 26 runs, entering the field when the score was already at 175. Finally, in the third encounter, he contributed 15 runs to the team's total.

The remaining nine games took place in 2024 against New Zealand's school team and Ireland. It's difficult to gauge his performance against these teams. To truly evaluate his abilities, we need to observe how he performs against stronger opposition He effectively fulfilled his role against weaker teams where others had struggled.

if we even break the 9 2024 games in the first game he scored 15, coming in the 5th over

the 2nd game he scored a 50 and he came in when we lost 2 early wickets score was 10/2 and he came in the 2nd over

the 3rd game he scored 19 and the 4th game he scored a 9, in the 5th game he scored 33

now coming in the 6th game he scored 61 when again we lost 2 early wickets, he came in the 4th over when the score was 40/2

in the 7th game he scored a 43 coming in the 14th over and then in the 8th 20 coming in the 14th over again

in the 9th game he scored a 78 coming in the 2nd over when the score was 13/2

this clearly shows if you want big score from fakhar of 50's 60's 70's he need to be coming in early overs
Where were the big scores when he was opening in T20Is? Where was the high strike rate and consistency?

Across average of all scores and match scenarios. In no world whatsoever an opening position is equivalent to a no. 4 position.

Fakhar's opening chapter in T20Is is closed for now. He is performing his best at no.4. Let him perform there. Because it is also benefiting Pakistan.

So you agree Sunil Narine is a better T20 opener than Babar and Rizwan?
If Narina can do what he is doing in the IPL at international level, sure I’ll agree his utility is far greater than Babar or Rizwan.

Unfortunately, his T20I numbers aren’t that good.

If Narina can do what he is doing in the IPL at international level, sure I’ll agree his utility is far greater than Babar or Rizwan.

Unfortunately, his T20I numbers aren’t that good.
Lol

If you say so mate. Would KKR pick Rizwan or Babar to bat as openers instead of Salt and Narine?

Where were the big scores when he was opening in T20Is? Where was the high strike rate and consistency?

Across average of all scores and match scenarios. In no world whatsoever an opening position is equivalent to a no. 4 position.

Fakhar's opening chapter in T20Is is closed for now. He is performing his best at no.4. Let him perform there. Because it is also benefiting Pakistan.
In cricket, there's a concept known as "form," which was significant in the 90s when players would often experience dips in performance followed by working hard to improve. Fakhar has been undergoing a similar process, but it doesn't diminish his talent or ability. Now that he's back in form and performing well, it's suggested he should come in to bat in the 2nd over if he's entering the game early.

And I don't see how it benefits pakistan if he has to come out to bat in the 2nd over it just show those who are batting in position 1 and 2 are not sticking in long enough so what's the point of them opening please explain

Ofcourse not.

How does this tie into Shadab’s argument?
I find it hypocritical to think you people are happy to term Shadab Khan a batsman because of stats suggesting he can do this and that here and there….

But you won’t apply the same rule when it comes to a player like Sunil Narine as an opener over Babar and Rizwan.

It’s understandable for your lot.

Genuine question,

Would you replace Rohit sharma even as he is now, for Rizwan at opening in t20?

I mean rohit isn't anywhere close to his 200 odi scoring prime. And in t20 he isn't exactly the best at t20 opening atm.

But would you shove rohit at no 4 and have someone like rizwan open instead? Assuming both were playing in a league together.

He showed the glimpses of his prime yesterday.
Thats what Fakhar said about his brilliant innings:

"The wicket was great (to bat on), initially the ball was moving, but we had a plan in our mind that we have to counterattack even if we lost two wickets. We are chasing 200, so, we need to attack. And we were lucky in that counterattack and were successful."

"Of course, the pressure was there. When you lose early wickets, there is always pressure but we stick to the plan made by the team that we have to play attacking cricket. Credits goes to Rizwan as well, I was struggling at the start, but Rizwan played well, which made the situation easy for me."

"While chasing in T20is, if you score between 70-80, it is considered a good knock. It was a difficult pitch to bat on for four overs, after that it became easy to bat on."

"We always need a wake up call to get back into the groove, after we lost the 1st T20I against Ireland, the defeat was on everyone's mind. That is why players were putting extra effort in the second game and I am expecting the way we played in this game, we will carry this momentum till the end of the World Cup."

He is. A good middle order batter. Highest SR after Afridi as well.

You think otherwise? You disagree with the performances and numbers?
He's not, he's a tail ender who will tulla bazi slog. He'll get you 40 of 20 once in a blue moon max.

You'd rather have an actual batter at no 5 like tayyab tahir or you'd just have imad wasim in his place as imad at no 5 has proven to be reliable as a batter.

Infact when imad is given overs he's been gun hence his odi stats being 42avg and 110 sr cause he usually comes in when 8 to 10 overs remain, compares to t20 where he either doesn't come in or comes in an impossible scenario where its hard to score. Shadab's odi batting stats are pathetic to say the least deapite him batting higher usually.

Psl showed why imad is a 100x better no 5 then shadab is, against NZ he was striking at over 200SR simply and he avg and sr improved by multiple points. Avg from 15 to 17.

His avg will continue to improve the more overs he gets. Shadab and chacha have no business coming ahead of imad. Shadab is a no 5 batter.

What good is a no 5 batter in t20 who averages 19 and a sr of 141? These are stats you see for a no 7, not no 5. So shadab averages 19 of 13 deliveries every game? Big whoop.

Back