[VIDEOS] "From tomorrow, we have do-or-die matches, so we have to do well in all three departments": Shadab Khan

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
26 October - Chennai - Shadab Khan pre-match press conference

Part 1

Part 2

[Reporter:]

The position of the team at the moment, an assessment has been made that the team is not as bad as it has played and the results are showing. Do you think Pakistan has underperformed?

[Shadab Khan:]

Yes completely. I think we have underperformed, in all three matches. We haven’t underperformed this way before. We know that we are not playing good cricket. But our team has bounced back from this situation before and hopefully, we will come out of this situation.

So how confident are you about Pakistan's win – because Pakistan still has a chance to go into the semi’s if they win all four matches – because the next match is against South Africa and other tough matches. Because we have fallen down many times before this and come out successfully.

See, like I said earlier, we know how to come out of such situations. And there are miracles in our belief. We have full faith in our team. Our team was playing well before the World Cup. We didn't play well in the World Cup. It's not always the case that we, as a team, did not play well. There are bad days, but I think we will start our winning streak from tomorrow. And, we hope to start our winning streak from tomorrow.

The way you and Iftikhar batted against Afghanistan in the last 10-15 overs, that helped Pakistan to get to the total that you got that day. How important is it for the middle order power hitters to fire consistently for teams to do well given the way the trend we are seeing in this tournament?

Yeah, it is very important, especially nowadays how cricket is playing now, modern day cricket. 330 - 350 is like just a par score. So, everyone has to play like that and have everyone, like, especially for us, where we bat, me and Iftikhar, we have to finish like that. Then we got the par score, we wanted that. And hopefully we continue to perform like that. So, it will help our team as well.

There are a lot of questions about your performance. How much are you motivating yourself in all these criticisms? And now the next match is do-or-die for Pakistan if you want to go ahead. So, being a spinner, being a senior player, how will you prepare for this game and what kind of performance should we expect from you?

The criticism is valid because I haven't been performing well recently. So, it's valid. I'm not performing well in such a big tournament, but it's not like I'm always the same. There is always ups and downs in cricket. I think all our bowlers are bowling in good rhythm. They have done good bowling in patches. I am not doing well, but the rest of the bowlers are bowling really well in patches. I told you before the World Cup started that the team with the best bowling form will be seen at the top. So, it is being seen that way because in pitches where there are more runs, you win the bowling tournament. So, we have to work in all three fields [all three departments, batting, bowling and fielding]. But I feel that the way our bowling lineup is, it has underperformed a lot in World Cup. So, as a bowling unit, we will have to get up and win for our team.

You have had a lot of batting talent but in the last 2-3 years you have become a genuine all-rounder. Your batting contribution is very important for Pakistan. Was there any difficulty in balancing the workload at that time? You have to pay attention to bowling and batting. How are you finding it to adjust to the demand?

I think the workload of an all-rounder is double compared to others. You have to give extra time in all three positions. Sometimes it is difficult to adjust the time. But since I am a bowling all-rounder, my main focus is to give as much time as possible to bowling. Batting is my plus point and it helps the team to balance. So, I try to keep doing extra as an all-rounder. Because in white ball cricket, all-rounders are a good balance for the team. So, I try to perform in both the fields in a way that helps the team.

This is not an excuse to lose three matches in Pakistan. But players getting sick in Ahmedabad, getting sick in Bangalore, Fakhar has not recovered completely, Osama was sick there, Nawaz was sick here. How big a factor has this been in Pakistan team’s journey of losses?

When we lose, we feel that every small thing is a big deal, but I don't think it's a big deal. I think it can happen to anyone, getting sick. We have played matches since childhood where we have high fever. I don't think it's an excuse. We didn't play well as a team, which we have to accept. We have to bounce back. From tomorrow, our do-or-die matches start. We have to play on our strength and try to do extra.

You just said that do-or-die matches have started. So, when you feel that you have to win and there is no other way to do anything, there is no chance of losing, does that increase the pressure? Or does it make it easier for you to go all out?

And second, a small thing, South Africa is doing really well. So, if you could talk about that.

See, it depends on the individual and team. I think that reduces the pressure because you have no option, nothing to lose. Because if you lose, you're obviously out of the tournament. So, I think the more positive things you bring to the match, the more you benefit.

I think our team has come out of such situations and also performed well in such situations and hopefully from tomorrow our winning streak will start.

You said that we are not able to perform in the way we should but in bowling we can cover 20-25 runs or in batting we can cover 20-25 runs by our fielding – but our fielding is very lethargic – its not like an international side fielding. The other day Babar Azam said that the boys are lacking in focus. How do you see this situation and the way we have fielded. Maybe in the Afghanistan match we could have made it more tight with good fielding or in the Australia match we dropped a few catches. So, has fielding played a role in the last two losses and how can we improve this going ahead?

We are not doing it in all the departments, which is why the team is on this stage. But obviously, out of form is understood in batting and bowling. But I think the team comes up with the way they field. Because in such situations, in such conditions where the pitches are batting friendly, so if you drop the catch or you give an easy boundary, then there is no pressure on the batsman and because of that there is a lot of cost in the end.

So, I think the way we are fielding is completely different from the standard that we have set. So, from tomorrow we have do-or-die matches, so we have to do well in all three departments. Because until you don't do well in all three departments then you can't win the match. If we let down even one department, we won't be able to win the match.

When you are playing like this kind of a tournament, there will be lot of expectation and pressure. But how difficult is it to handle off the field criticism.

See, this is individual and you should accept reality if you are not able to perform, then you should be honest with yourself. Because you know best about yourself - maybe no one else knows about me. So, I think you should analyse yourself. You should have an honest opinion about yourself. Talk to yourself.

Criticizing is the easiest thing and anyone can do it - that should make no difference. I have a simple theory that whatever talent God has given, if you give it 100% in the ground, that's it. Because the result is not in our hands. What is written for us, that has to happen. So, do what is in your hands, rest is in God's hands.

Shadab, apparently you were bowling some off spin in the nets yesterday. Was that just an experiment or can we look forward to you doing that, particularly against the left-handers?

No, no, no, it's just an experiment. I was just bowling the warm up balls. That's it. It's nothing serious.

You just spoke about the bowling performance. Now Pakistan over the years has prided itself in producing some phenomenal fast bowlers. That's always been one of Pakistan's biggest advantages. But this World Cup, the fast bowlers have really not clicked on, barring the 5-fer which Shaheen took against Australia. Otherwise, the fast bowlers have flattered to deceive. How concerning is that for Pakistan when the fast-bowling unit doesn't click?

See, these fast bowlers, they performed very well in the last couple of years for us and everywhere they played. So, we have a faith on them and sometimes, you know, when you're a batter or a bowler, sometimes you go from these stages, everyone go from these stages who played this professional sport. So they go from these stages, but the main concern is like everyone is going at the same time. That's a problem we are getting because if someone is in good form, then might be in a better position. But we are struggling as a unit. And at the same time, that's a problem we are getting. So hopefully it's changed tomorrow and everyone starts on their right track. So hopefully we're starting from tomorrow.

Many former cricketers have been saying that your team is not that mentally strong. The previous team that toured India, maybe Asif Iqbal, Imran Khan, and Wasim Akram, why is that so? I mean, do they take a defeat so very easily? They have no pride. I mean, if you see Wasim Akram - they lose again, they bounce back the next game. You know, it may not be a big win, but the fight is there. The fight is missing. Why is that so?

No, I don't think so the fight is missing. It's everyone and their opinion. And everyone can talk about that. But as a team, we have one thing that we have a unity. We are playing like that. So, we have that unity and we were playing like that and we always bounce back and hopefully we will bounce back again but everyone has their opinion they can talk about us because we're not performing so we have to accept it and this is a reality because when you don't perform, when you don't win everyone has their opinion they can talk, they can criticize So our main focus is just try to win game for Pakistan, that's it.

Just carrying from the question, like there is a lot of criticism coming back home from former players. Given how Pakistan have performed the last three games, how do you shut all the noise going into these crucial games ahead for you? Is it easy to shut all the noise?

Yeah, it's easy if you don't listen to them.

So, it's easy because I always talk to the players – because if you came on this type of a tournament you have to cut it off from the social media because when you perform you know that everyone will talk - like he's doing so well, he's doing this but when you don't perform definitely the same person will talk about that - oh he's not good enough. Because the mentality is that when someone is not in the team, they are the best. When someone is in the team, they are the worst. It's like that.

But reality is - you have to win. You have to win. Because if you are winning, everything will cover up. And if you are losing, it doesn't matter how good you are, how your team is playing before. So main concern is – if you are winning, everything will cover it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he gave the right answers there. I think he might be the one captaining Pakistan as Babar might have given up.

Great so looks like the human bowling machine will be playing tomorrow. Could see the first 500 in ODIs

Well he gave the right answers there. I think he might be the one captaining Pakistan as Babar might have given up.
Only good thing about shadab is that he gives press interviews like a decent human being.

Makes me wonder why rizzu and imam are allowed to give press interviews when they suck at giving it and make our team look worse and bring in more social media nonsense.

Sheddy can give interviews well. Even his last interview was positive but realistic as it should be. No more I'm untouchable statements from imam.

has he put on weight? I remember him being pretty fit. He was one of the fittest looking Pakistani cricketers in last few years

FWIW it was a pretty good response and answers by shadab. Even babar press conferences are good. They say the right things. Just the implementation is the issue though!

Makes my blood boil to see such a rubbish player be given this platform, you might as well have Mohammad Wasim Jr. and Mohammad Haris give a pre-match press conference.

All those questions need to be answered by a decent player who has a future in the Pakistan team, not just anyone.

You guys are not looking at this 4th dimensionally.

The question here is why is Shadab giving the press conference? Simple, he is the next ODI captain of Pakistan.

I am confident his impending responsibilities will bring out the Shadab of old, and in the process bolster the mindset of Pakistan team.

Write off Pakistan at your own peril!

You guys are not looking at this 4th dimensionally.

The question here is why is Shadab giving the press conference? Simple, he is the next ODI captain of Pakistan.

I am confident his impending responsibilities will bring out the Shadab of old, and in the process bolster the mindset of Pakistan team.

Write off Pakistan at your own peril!
He is not suitable for ODIs or test cricket. he can somehow survive in t20s as batsmen will be more aggressive and gift away wickets. He is more of a bits and pieces player than an allrounder. He will not becoem teh next ODI captain as he may not even be in the team if Pakistan doesn't perform in next 4 mtches especially if he doesn't bowl well.

Shadab did well today with the bat but his real test will be to bowl well here. Shamsi bowled brilliant stuff today and shadab has to be doing the same.

Credit to him that he recognized the need to do well in all three departments.
Too bad he didn’t do well in any of them.

What is Shadab doing after this World Cup? I hope he has started training for his spin bowling and will participate in National Tournaments

Back