[VIDEOS] How good is Chris Woakes?

I'd drop anderson for wood and play Curran instead of stokes since he cant play

I’m sure you would! :))

Stokes is undroppable on current batting form, even if he cannot bowl much.

I’m sure you would! :))

Stokes is undroppable on current batting form, even if he cannot bowl much.

You obvs havent watched the news stokes wont be available for the remaining of the series due to family reasons not dropped thou

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Woakes "I'd love to play in the PSL sometime in future, I really would. I want to play in as many franchise leagues because it improves you as a player, playing in different conditions in front of different crowds & under different managements" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1299069131204030470?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 27, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Woakes "It's really good to see cricket happening in Pakistan. The world of cricket is in a better place if Pakistan is hosting its international cricket as other countries do. I've heard great things about Pakistan from the guys who went there & played in PSL" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1299070448953634822?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 27, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Woakes "I've heard that Pakistan is a beautiful country and I have heard great stories about how passionate the fans are there. So I hope Test tours take place more frequently in the country" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1299070914051674112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 27, 2020</a></blockquote>

Wouldn’t rule out pay cut for players: Top England all-rounder Chris Woakes

All-rounder Chris Woakes expects players to be asked to take pay cuts after the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced 20 per cent reduction in its workforce to deal with the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The ECB is grappling with a whopping 100-million pound loss as cricketing activities were disrupted due to the coronavirus outbreak. The amount could rise to 200 million pounds if the pandemic affects the 2021 summer.

“It’s incredibly sad news, really. There’s a lot of people behind the scenes at the ECB who work incredibly hard, important cogs in the wheel,” Woakes told reporters. “At this moment of time, it is hard for me to say ‘we’re going to take X cuts, and there are going to be donations here, left right and centre’. Until we’ve seen what happens from above we’ll then get more of a feel for it. I certainly wouldn’t rule that out.

“In the current climate, with contracts around the corner, you have to expect anything. We have to wait and see, as players, you can’t say we’re exempt from it,” he added. The 31-year-old, who features for England in all three formats of the game, was thankful for the resumption of cricket in such testing times.

“Of course it’s a sad time, and it does resonate with the players, but we’re also very fortunate that cricket has gone ahead this summer, that figure of £200 million could have been a lot worse. I suppose that is the only positive outcome, really,” Woakes said.

“It is a situation where we have to sit down as players and see what happens with regards to these contracts coming up. We’ll know more in the next few weeks. We’ll reassess at that point,” he added.

In April, centrally contracted players had voluntarily donated 500,000 pounds to the ECB and selected charities. The pacer said discussions on the issue are yet to take place between the board and the players.

“That hasn’t really been discussed since and we haven’t been spoken to by the hierarchy of the ECB,” he said.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...hris-woakes/story-4gwC5UZGaOnfGufSNBzYZL.html

England stars Chris Woakes and Sarah Glenn have been crowned as the NatWest PCA Men’s and NatWest PCA Women’s Player of the Year Award winners respectively.

Woakes claimed the Reg Hayter Cup for the first time following another consistently excellent summer, highlighted by his match-winning unbeaten 84 against Pakistan in the first Test at Emirates Old Trafford.

Glenn’s success follows a breakthrough year for the England leg-spinner after only making her international debut last December. The 21-year-old was also this week named as the Player of the Series during England’s 5-0 Vitality IT20 Series sweep over West Indies in her home city of Derby.

The Vitality PCA Young Player of the Year has been won by Zak Crawley following a rookie England season in which the 22-year-old underlined his growing reputation with a double century against Pakistan in the third Test at The Ageas Bowl.

The coveted awards are voted on by the players’ fellow professionals and, while the global pandemic prevented the usual pomp and ceremony for the 51st NatWest PCA Awards, this summer’s honours were given added significance by the inclusion of the NatWest Outstanding Service to Cricket Awards (OSCAs).

The NatWest OSCAs, which were established in 2003, highlight the valuable efforts of volunteers who have gone above and beyond to connect clubs with their communities during a challenging summer for the recreational game.

Woakes attended last year’s NatWest OSCAs, when he revealed his thanks for the vital role volunteers have played in his career and across the cricket network, and will be a popular winner of the top men’s award this season ahead of Essex off-spinner Simon Harmer, Somerset speedster Craig Overton and Crawley who were shortlisted nominees.

Woakes said: “I’m obviously delighted to win the NatWest PCA Men’s Player of the Year award, even though the news came as a bit of a shock!

“I feel honoured and privileged to have had that recognition from my fellow professionals. Obviously some great players have won it so to be amongst them is a brilliant feeling.

“It’s a credit to everyone that we have had a full international schedule given what’s happened with the Covid-19 pandemic, so I’m really pleased with how my own performance went and obviously the team’s as well, to win the majority of our series.

“The big highlight for me of the summer was that Test Match against Pakistan, to win from where we were was just incredible. That was a knock and a partnership that I’ll treasure forever.”

Glenn’s success underlined the next wave of young women’s talent emerging within England and Wales as she claimed the award ahead of her England captain Heather Knight and all-rounder Nat Sciver. Fellow spinner, Sophie Ecclestone, had won the award for the past two years.

Glenn said: “It’s an honour to win the NatWest PCA Women’s Player of the Year award. It’s pretty special that it was voted for by the girls, knowing that they’ve got my back. To know that I’ve won it and deserved it is very special.

“It’s taken me by surprise as well how quickly things have escalated. I have loved every moment of it and tried not to look too far ahead in every game. Anything I’ve been unsure about I’ve just asked the girls so credit to them as well.”

Crawley made his England debut on the tour of New Zealand last November and claims the John Arlott Cup in the same week it was confirmed he had been awarded a Test Central Contract by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

The 22-year-old edged out fellow nominees Will Jacks, who has starred in Surrey’s run to Finals Day, and Somerset left-hander Tom Lammonby after he struck three centuries during the Bob Willis Trophy.

Crawley said: “It’s great to be picked by your peers, so winning the Vitality PCA Young Player of the Year means a lot to me and I’m very proud. There’s so many great names on the trophy already, so it’s very special.

“To score 200 in a Test Match - I didn’t think I was capable of it, so it was just a great moment for me. It’s been great to come back to Kent and play so well too - the hundred at Hampshire was very special and hopefully it shows my ability in all formats.”

While recognising the best performing individuals across the professional and grassroots game, today also saw the cricket family come together to raise funds for the players’ charity, the Professional Cricketers’ Trust. The charity supports PCA members and their family members when they need it most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this guy so underrated by England.
Think he should play more often tbh.

Very surprised that he's not played more for England.

I know there's a lot of competition for places, but this guy has been a bit unlucky.

He's unlucky that Anderson keeps improving every year. Furthermore, he was immensely unfortunate to miss out in Sri Lanka this winter due to having shared a minibus with Moeen Ali on the way to Heathrow before the tour. Given the state of Sri Lankan cricket, he should have picked up a few cheap wickets.

Woakes has not played more because:

Bowling Avg with the Dukes - 22.87.

Bowling Avg with the Kookaburra - 52.14.

Warwickshire all-rounder Chris Woakes returns to the squad for the first time since 2015. His last international cap in this format came in November 2015 against Pakistan.

He is part of the squad in England Men’s IT20 squad announced for the Vitality IT20 Series against Sri Lanka

Warwickshire all-rounder Chris Woakes returns to the squad for the first time since 2015. His last international cap in this format came in November 2015 against Pakistan.

He is part of the squad in England Men’s IT20 squad announced for the Vitality IT20 Series against Sri Lanka

Have you got a source on the squad please?

Chris Woakes is eager to make-up for lost time following a "frustrating" absence of more than nine months from England duty

The all-rounder was in the wickets during the 2020 season, being named England's most valuable player of the year.

Woakes was also in good touch with the bat, his unbeaten 84 allied to a game-changing stand with Jos Buttler enabling England to complete a fourth-innings run-chase that saw Pakistan defeated in a Test at Old Trafford.

But the 32-year-old has since found himself on the sidelines of the international game.

Woakes' cause was not helped when a one-day international series in South Africa was abandoned in December following a coronavirus scare.

And he then had to miss a two-Test series in Sri Lanka earlier this year after being deemed a close contact of England team-mate Moeen Ali after the pair shared a taxi ride before his fellow all-rounder tested positive for Covid-19.

England then decided they could do without Woakes during their Test series loss in India and team management, following his stint in the Indian Premier League, rested him from the recent 1-0 defeat in a two-Test campaign at home to New Zealand.

Woakes, however, hopes a 280-day absence from England duty will end with selection for Wednesday's opening Twenty20 against Sri Lanka in Cardiff.

"I think the best way of putting it is to say it's been a frustrating winter for me," Woakes said Sunday.

"Not playing a single game all winter, after the summer I had, almost felt like a bit of a waste for me."

Woakes won the last of his eight T20 caps in November 2015.

But with England head coach Chris Silverwood in sole charge of picking the team after Ed Smith's post of national selector was abolished, Woakes can press his case to be included in the squad for October's T20 World Cup.

"I am certainly not just here to make up the numbers -- if I get a go I will be trying to stake a claim," he said.

"I also realise there are a few injuries knocking around (to Ben Stokes and Jofra Archer) but that doesn't take anything away from me being part of this England team and putting my hand up to be part of the World Cup."

AFP

Great with the Dukes ball in English conditions. Utter rubbish everywhere else. Should stick to white ball cricket only.

Already creating havoc against srilanka this tour 4-18 today .
And we all know his best is against Pakistan
Both in his odi and test avg.
In 13 odi against Pak he has taken 30 wickets with 20.50 avg.
& In 8 test he has taken 36 wickets averaging 18.69
Only in t20 pakistan has got better of him with just 2 t20i he has 3 wickets by giving away 66 runs avg 22 .

Hence i feel he will be the man to look out for pakistan in upcoming odi series.
Im banking on him to be MAN OF THE SERIES in this odi series against Pak.
On his day he can make mockery out of Pak top order.

It's rather hilarious how he was 'rested' for the series against New Zealand despite not playing a match all winter.

He is very effective in English conditions.Bowls right length and line and swings the ball.

Chris Woakes, who has not played Test cricket since the third Test against Pakistan at the Rose Bowl in August 2020, is back in the England squad for the 4th Test after recovering from a heel injury.

Big addition

England’s bowling attack of Anderson, Woakes, Robinson and Overton is actually a supreme bowling attack for home conditions

If he is available I would drop Anderson for him (give the old guy a match off) and bring in Leach for Curran.

Anderson will want to play as much as he can now.

England should replace him either with Overton or Curran

I hate Sam Curran’s guts but the guy is due a match winning performance which could come in the next game

If he is available I would drop Anderson for him (give the old guy a match off) and bring in Leach for Curran.

I'd understand that move, it's a bit of a stretch to expect Anderson to play three tests on the trot. Probably better to play him at Old Trafford.

I'd understand that move, it's a bit of a stretch to expect Anderson to play three tests on the trot. Probably better to play him at Old Trafford.

Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Livingstone
Bairstow (w) as Buttler is out of the match
Moeen
Woakes
Wood or Saqib (need some pace power at the Oval)
Robinson
Leach

Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Livingstone
Bairstow (w) as Buttler is out of the match
Moeen
Woakes
Wood or Saqib (need some pace power at the Oval)
Robinson
Leach
Saqib will not be playing.He has been release to play for his county.

I like the idea of playing Livingstone but then does it make sense to have both moeen and leach in the team?

Surprised Parkinson didn’t get a go

CHRIS WOAKES, who took 4-55 on his return to the England side, has been speaking to Sky Sports about today's play...

"I think [it has been] a relatively good day still. When you win a toss and put a team into bat, to bowl them out for 191 is almost pretty much job done, but to lose three tonight, including Joe, kind of keeps it in the balance.

"It’s been a good pitch for everyone really. If you get in you can score runs, but if we bowl tight areas and keep the batsmen on their toes then you are always in the game as a bowler."

Playing a crucial role in this game - 4 wickets and now approaching 50 and taking England lead towards 100

Playing a crucial role in this game - 4 wickets and now approaching 50 and taking England lead towards 100

Brilliant innings - 50 for Woakes - may well have won the match for England with this.

Fantastic cricketer.

Whether it's with the ball, bat or in the field, a great competitor and such an important member of the England team.

How I wish Pakistan had such a cricketer.

To think, this guy had repeatedly been left out for the joke that was Jofra Archer. He is a considerably better bowler let alone taking his batting into consideration.

I would say he is the MVP in these English conditions.He is a wonderful bowler and a proper batsman.

Love watching him bowl and bat.

Forget the weather - Dubai and Birmingham have more in common than you think.

Both second cities, both with large South Asian communities, both providing the stage for England’s Chris Woakes to torment Australia at an ICC mega event.

In the semi-finals of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup in 2019, Woakes ripped through their top-order and reduced them to 14 for three as England romped home by eight wickets.

At the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021, Woakes ripped through their top-order and reduced them to 15 for three as England romped home by eight wickets.

The story hasn’t changed and neither has Woakes, underrated by all other than those who have to face him, moving the ball both ways and owning prime real estate on a good length.

The scary thing is that England went six years without using him in a T20 international.

Before Eoin Morgan brought him back into the side to face Sri Lanka in June, Woakes hadn’t played a T20I since November 2015, against Pakistan in Sharjah.

In the absence of Jofra Archer and with Mark Wood out injured, Woakes is now indispensable.

David Warner’s form has fluctuated across formats in recent years, but 65 against Sri Lanka suggested the southpaw could start to embark on a run of form heading into this Ashes clash.

Enter Woakes in the second over. The 32-year-old found the seam and brought the ball away from Warner, who tried to open the face but could only feather through to Buttler, gone for one.

With the next ball he beat Steven Smith all ends up, taking the ball practically off the face of his bat with late movement and then nearly trapping the No.3 in front two deliveries later.

You simply couldn’t keep the Birmingham native out of the game as he was the man to take a simple catch that Smith looped to mid-on off the bowling of Chris Jordan in the third over.

Things were bleak but far from irretrievable for Australia at 11 for two but they needed Woakes to cut them some slack. Fat chance.

Glenn Maxwell played down the wrong line and Woakes did the rest with another that seamed prodigiously and would have uprooted leg stump had it not rapped the pad.

It is a truism of modern cricket that early wickets in the powerplay is the only way to contain scoring. Par scores are low in this tournament, but this fact hasn’t changed.

England’s is a Swiss army knife of a bowling attack, giving them the edge in almost any match-up.

Moeen Ali, who did the damage in their first two wins over West Indies and Bangladesh, wasn’t even used here, presumably in deference to Aaron Finch’s prowess against off-spin.

They instead used Liam Livingstone’s full allocation as he switched between off and leg-spin practically between deliveries, whether he was bowling to right or left handers.

It was suggested before the match in some quarters that Chris Jordan may have to make way for Wood when he returns to full fitness.

Jordan gave a timely reminder of his value, getting the crucial wicket of stoical Finch in the penultimate over to prevent Australia’s total swelling to approach 150.

It looked like 200 wouldn’t have been enough with Jos Buttler in the kind of form that saw him thump an incredible unbeaten 71 from 32 balls.

With three sixes travelling more than 90 metres, Buttler was at his brutal best and it was one of his great innings.

England, of course, went on to win the Cricket World Cup two years ago after beating Australia.

In this form, that saw them dismantle their arch rivals with more than eight overs to spare, it’s hard to see anything but the same name on that trophy.

Very under-rated.

A lot of fast bowlers shined at the 2019 world cup : Starc, Amir, Ferguson, Bumrah, Boult, Archer to name some.
But Woakes was clearly the best fast bowler of the world cup because of his repetitive wickets in the first powerplay.

Today he has done it again, early wickets killed Australia.
He is one fast bowler who can trouble Babar Azam with the new ball in hand. So if we play England at one point it's better to play his first 2 overs out.

He bowled decent today as he mostly does but the Aussies made him look like a cross between Malcom Marshall and Glen Mcgrath.

Poor poor from Aussies who batted like a minnow today.

Given his side the perfect start in a semi-final:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/4b2xvj" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Definitely white ball great, won his side odi world cup and now almost T20 world cup.

Not that good apparently, as per Ricky Ponting.

==

Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting was ruthless in his criticism of England's fast bowler Chris Woakes, insisting that Mark Wood should've been selected ahead of him in the Ashes Test in Adelaide.

Woakes claimed one wicket for 103 runs in 23.4 first innings over as Australia took command of the test, with the home side looking to build on their opening win of the series in Brisbane.

Ponting further added that the inclusion of Woakes in place of Wood had a poor impact on the influece of all-rounder Ben Stokes. "It looked to me as if Stokes was given one job, to run in and bowl bouncers ball after ball," Ponting told cricket.com.au.

"When he finally got the chance to bowl at a new batsman and pitch the ball, he got a wicket second ball to (Cameron) Green.

"Woakes was ineffective again – I'm not sure why they bothered picking him in Adelaide when they've got Wood there.

"To me Wood would have given them a lot more variation in their attack and then Stokes could have pitched it up and bowled like a normal seamer, which he's good at, and Wood could have taken the role Stokes had."

Ponting criticised the limited approach taken by England captain Joe Root and his bowling attack.

"Apart from the short-ball plan Stokes executed (on the first day), England didn't seem to have much of a plan after that," Ponting said.

"It was run in and bowl back-of-a-length and wait for the Aussies to make mistakes.

"Well, when you're bowling to two of the top three batsmen in the world, they're not going to make mistakes. You've got to find a way to get them out and change things up."

Australia reached 473-9 before declaring in the first innings while England were 17-2 in reply at the end of the second day's play.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...kes-during-adelaide-test-101639803018854.html

Probably the most important member of England playing XI while playing at home..
But away from home, he is just an average player who doesn't guarantee a place in playing XI.

Probably the most important member of England playing XI while playing at home..
But away from home, he is just an average player who doesn't guarantee a place in playing XI.

Batting Record :-

At home- 37 innings, 952 runs, 35.25 average, 1 hundred, 5 fifties
Away - 28 innings, 474 runs, 18.96 average, 1 fifty

Batting Average difference- 16.29

Bowling Record :-

At home- 94 wickets, 22.63 average, 44.5 strike rate,
4 fifers, 1 tenfer
Away- 28 wickets, 52.64 average, 103.9 strike rate,
0 fifer
Bowling Average difference- 30

A conventional bits and pieces English county cricketer.

Might come off once every 4 tests in England, nothing more.

Batting Record :-

At home- 37 innings, 952 runs, 35.25 average, 1 hundred, 5 fifties
Away - 28 innings, 474 runs, 18.96 average, 1 fifty

Batting Average difference- 16.29

4 fifers, 1 tenfer
0 fifer
So essentially a HTB then, like most of his team mates!

4 fifers, 1 tenfer
0 fifer

Very interesting numbers.

Home track bully, with the ball?

Horses for courses.

Leave Woakes resting at home on future tours and just play him in the home Tests.

Nothing wrong with that approach. Or, there shouldn’t be.

Birmingham-born England all-rounder Chris Woakes has pledged his future to his home county by signing a new two-year contract extension, which keeps him with the LV= Insurance County Champions until at least the end of the 2024 season.
Woakes (33) joined the Bears at under 10s age group with the former Barr Beacon Language College and Aston Manor Cricket Club all-rounder progressing through the pathway to become one of the most decorated players in the Club’s history.
In addition to winning two County Championships, two One-Day Cups and a Blast title with the Bears, Woakes became the county’s first ICC men’s Cricket World Cup winner in 2019 and he has helped England secure multiple Test, ODI and T20I series wins. To date he boasts 45 Test, 106 ODI and 16 T20i international caps.
“Chris is one of the best all-rounders that England have ever had,” said Warwickshire Director of Cricket Paul Farbrace. “He’s spent all of his domestic career at Edgbaston and he knows exactly what it takes to establish yourself and win trophies with Warwickshire and England. As a county which is committed to developing our own young cricketers, it’s vital that they have someone like Chris to talk to and aspire to what he has achieved.
“We’re very much aware that Chris is going to play so much more cricket for England across all three formats. However, when circumstances allow, he will be an incredible addition to any Warwickshire team. Through our agreement with Chris, we have the option to add an extra year to the contracts soon into year two.”
Chris Woakes said: “It was always a dream of mine to play at Edgbaston for the Bears when I started playing the game as a youngster. I love the Club and feel incredibly proud every time that I put on the Bear & Ragged Staff and take to the field for my home county.
“The Club has come a long way on and off the field since I made my First Class debut nearly 16 years ago. Edgbaston is now one of the best places in the world to play cricket and we’ve won multiple trophies across all formats. Playing a part in the final stages of last year’s Championship success was a very proud moment for me.
“Whilst we’re the reigning County Champions, there’s so much potential for this squad to do more. We have some of the best young players in the game coming through our pathway and I’m very keen to support their development and hopefully ensure that there can be a few more trophy wins in the coming years.”
Woakes is hoping to return to action for the Bears in the home LV= County Championship match versus Northamptonshire, starting 12 May.
Farbrace added: “Chris has played a lot of cricket across all three formats in the last couple of years, with much of this time spent in bubbles and away from home. It’s important that he can enjoy some time back at home with his family, rest up and come back strong ready to support our 2022 campaign before the international summer.”

Horses for courses.

Leave Woakes resting at home on future tours and just play him in the home Tests.

Nothing wrong with that approach. Or, there shouldn’t be.

Not sure if even this will happen.

After a woefully indifferent individual display in the West Indies, it will be up to the new captain and coach if Woakes now figures into any of their future plans.

LONDON (Reuters) - England are set to be without seamer Chris Woakes for a while yet as his county side Warwickshire said on Tuesday there was no timescale on when he would recover from a knee injury.

Woakes, who last played for England in the third test against West Indies in March, was already ruled out of the first test against New Zealand at Lord’s next week but hoped to come into the three-match series later in June.

However, the 33-year-old looks unlikely to play a part, adding to England’s injury crisis with seven fast bowlers out at the moment.

“He (Woakes) has been struggling with a longstanding knee injury and has also had a little ailment with his ankle, but it’s the knee injury that is holding him back,” Warwickshire coach Mark Robinson said.

“At the moment there is no timescale on when he will be back.”

England, who will be led by new captain Ben Stokes, are already missing the likes of Sam Curran and Mark Wood, while Jofra Archer was last week ruled out for a lengthy period due to a stress fracture of the back.

England should move on from Woakes. He statistically holds the worst ever away record of an England bowler who has played a reasonable number of away Tests.

England should move on from Woakes. He statistically holds the worst ever away record of an England bowler who has played a reasonable number of away Tests.

Yep, England have enough seamers to do well without him. His batting is replaceable too.

<b>Chris Woakes: England bowler to have knee surgery in bid to make T20 World Cup</b>

England bowler Chris Woakes will have a knee operation this week in a bid to be fit for the T20 World Cup in October.

Woakes, 33, has not played a first-team county or international match since England's defeat by West Indies in Grenada in March because of injury.

The Warwickshire player said he will be out for between four and six weeks if nothing "too serious" emerges during surgery.

"It's been a frustrating summer," Woakes told BBC Sport.

"You never really want to be missing cricket, especially in the summer in England.

"But, in a way, I'm happy I've decided to have the surgery and try and get whatever's wrong right, and get back as soon as possible.

"If they go in and expect nothing to be too serious it should be four to six weeks. So fingers crossed I will be back to competitive cricket soon,"

Woakes, who has also been struggling with an ankle injury, returned to competitive action in a Warwickshire second XI match last month.

He is one of several England pace bowlers currently sidelined, with Mark Wood having further elbow surgery last week.

Jofra Archer is out with a back stress fracture, as are Matthew Fisher and Saqib Mahmood, however seamer Ollie Robinson has made his return from back problems for Sussex this week.

Olly Stone has been ruled out for four to six weeks after breaking a finger while trying to regain match fitness on second XI duty for Warwickshire.

Woakes played in the 2021 T20 World Cup last autumn, England's 4-0 Ashes defeat in the winter and all three Tests in the Caribbean.

England's first game of the 2022 T20 World Cup is against Afghanistan in Perth on 22 October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62322566

Woakes returns for England after long absence

England have already welcomed back Mark Wood during this series, and Ali can call on Woakes.

The seamer has missed a lot of cricket this year with injury but his return will be welcomed by England, especially for his bowling during the powerplay.

Woakes has taken 16 wickets in the first six overs since 2018 in T20s.

lcimg-b267354e-26d5-494f-b0f4-0f37cc96c717.jpeg

“It’s a privilege to be back in Pakistan, I’ve never toured here before in my career. I think 2005 was the last time England team was here, I remember watching many games when I was growing up. Pakistanis, you know, are so passionate about their cricket.”

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/rg0w1c" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

I would always play him in England. I wouldn’t take him on tour.

England all-rounder Chris Woakes says it wasn’t an easy call to miss the “financially rewarding” IPL next year but he had to do that to have a best shot at making the Test team for the 2023 Ashes at home.

Woakes might not have attracted a million dollar bid but would have been sought- after at the IPL auction in Kochi later this week.

Woakes, who missed the home Test season with injury, will be instead turning up for Warwickshire in the County Championship.

“It wasn’t an easy decision, by any means. There’s still a part of me that wishes I could go because the IPL is a great tournament and financially it could be very rewarding – but I didn’t want to make the decision solely on finance.

“It’s a tricky scenario: having just won a World Cup, potentially stock could be high. There are obviously some other players who are likely to go big but I could have been next on the list behind them.

“I had conversations with a lot of people and some with franchises as well, who sounded keen, which made it harder to pull out. But having not played any cricket in the English summer last year, it’s a good opportunity for me to set myself up for, hopefully, a really strong summer with England,” Woakes said

The 33-year-old has played for KKR, RCB and most recently Delhi Capitals in the IPL. Woakes said an honest conversation with ECB managing director Rob Key also contributed to his decision.

“He was very clear that I was still a part of the Test plans but obviously I needed to get myself fit, and get my knee right,” Woakes, who was part of England’s victorious T20 World Cup squad, added.

https://indianexpress.com/article/s...s-on-opting-out-of-ipl-for-ashes-bid-8332385/

Chris Woakes is "hungry" to return to Test cricket this Ashes summer after wondering whether he would ever get back in England's red-ball team.

All-rounder Woakes last appeared for England's Test side in the West Indies in March 2022 and has not figured at home in the format since the Kia Oval clash with India in September 2021.

A knee injury prevented the seamer from featuring last summer, with the 34-year-old watching on as England won six Tests out of seven under captain Ben Stokes and coach Brendon McCullum, a run that has now stretched to 10 victories from 12 following a 3-0 sweep of Pakistan and a 1-1 draw in New Zealand over the winter.

Woakes' absence will continue for this week's one-off Test against Ireland at Lord's with debutant Josh Tongue joining Stuart Broad and Matthew Potts in the XI but he is hopeful of playing some part in the Ashes, which starts at his home ground of Edgbaston on June 16.

Asked whether he feared his Test career could be over, Woakes said: "I suppose those sorts of doubts do run through your mind a little bit.

"Whether it be through form or injury, there is always someone knocking on the door or younger players ready to come in. That is part and parcel of being at the top of your sport.

"It is an amazing feeling to be back in England colours and I am ready to give it my all.

"Whenever you get the opportunity to put the shirt on it is an opportunity to impress and contribute to wins and with a huge summer ahead you want to be a part of that."

It was great to see the guys playing with a smile on their face and playing so well. We had had some tough times before that – one win in 17 – so for them to win the matches that they have, playing the way they have, has been brilliant. Baz [Brendon McCullum] and Ben [Stokes] have bought a new lease of life to the team.

James Anderson (groin) and Ollie Robinson (ankle) will sit out the Ireland Test, while Jofra Archer (elbow) and Olly Stone (hamstring) are also absent - Archer will miss the entire summer and Stone is set to be sidelined for at least the opening Ashes Test.

"If you'd have asked me a month or two ago whether I'd even be in this squad - probably not, really," said Woakes.

"Looking at the pool of fast bowlers that were available, you stick Jofra (Archer) and Olly Stone in the mix as well, I might not have been. Their misfortune means I'm here.

England bowler Broad provides an insight into the mindset of the players ahead of this summer's Ashes series against Australia.
"You're always hungry to play for England.

"Going through the bad times, like last summer where I was desperate to play but my body didn't let me, reminded me you have to enjoy playing. Your career is a relatively short one so make the most of it.

"We have a very good pool of fast bowlers. There have been niggles around and you imagine you are going need to tap in to that pool of fast bowlers at some point.

"As bowlers there are always niggles, you are always sore. There are some things you can play through and some you can't. With such a big series coming up, you obviously want everyone as fit as possible but I don't think it's that much of a concern.

"The injuries haven't been overly serious - other than Jofra Archer's (elbow) injury [which has ruled him out of the summer] so our thoughts are with him."

SKY

Declared ICC Player of the Month for July

==

The English star capped off a memorable Ashes performance with the ICC Men's Player of the Month Award for July 2023.

The Player of the Series from the Ashes, Chris Woakes, is now the ICC Men's Player of the Month for July 2023 after beating off stiff competition from compatriot Zak Crawley and Netherlands' up-and-coming star Bas de Leede.

“It's very nice to have been voted ICC Men’s Player of the Month for July. Everything we did in the Ashes was a team effort, and no individual awards would be possible without everyone else doing their job but it's always nice to be recognised, especially when it's a public vote," said Woakes about the honour.

“It was a great series, and I'm just very happy that it captured the imagination and attention of the public so much. It was great to have so much support and it was a hugely enjoyable series to play in."

Christopher Roger Woakes Born March 02, 1989, Birmingham, Warwickshire turned 35 yesterday. A belated greetings to him on this special occasion.
_20240303_032413.JPG

Chris Woakes is back in England's Test XI for the first time since his starring role in last year's Ashes

Chris Woakes has said that experiencing Jimmy Anderson’s Test send-off, at the end a difficult few months following the death of his father earlier in May, had reminded him to cherish his time at the pinnacle of the sport, and the need “to enjoy every moment” because “it doesn’t last forever”.

Woakes took four months off cricket between February and June, returning to play two games for Warwickshire in the County Championship and another two in the Blast last month before joining up with the England squad for the West Indies series. He took one wicket as England won the first Test, also Anderson’s last, by an innings and 114 runs.

“It’s been a tough couple of months, absolutely,” he said. “It’s one of those things in life that you probably never really think is going to happen until it does. Trying to get back into cricket, it’s been quite hard to focus on the day job but I suppose once you get back out there, and particularly putting on the England whites, it reminds you how lucky we are to do what we do. And seeing Jimmy this week, although it’s lasted a long time for him, it doesn’t last forever and you have to try and enjoy every moment you’re a part of this team and lucky enough to put on the Three Lions. In my case at the minute it’s put things in perspective, and I’m just happy to be here”.

Aged 35, Woakes is now England’s senior bowler, following the retirements of Anderson and Stuart Broad over the last year, though Anderson is to remain with the side, at least for the remainder of this summer, as a bowling coach. Woakes’s record is better in the 18 Tests he has played without Anderson (averaging 24.8 with an economy of 2.79, with just 38.9% of those games played in England) than it is in the 31 games they have played together (31.82 and 3.15, with 71% at home), but he does not expect the loss of England’s greatest-ever bowler to have a significant impact on how he plays.

“Every time I go out there I try to give 100% and try to do my role as well as I can for the team,” he said. “Obviously it’ll be slightly different if I’m given the new ball, your role slightly changes and the majority of my career I’ve come on first change, so that’s something that maybe I need to get my head around moving forward. Other than that you go out there and still try and deliver your skills. I’ve always felt like whenever there is a new guy coming into the team, you try and pass on a little bit of knowledge and I’ve been around for long enough to be able to do that. Maybe I need to do that a little bit more now, on the field maybe more than off it. That’s probably the only big thing.”

But he did credit Anderson with providing “little nuggets” that have improved him as a player during the 11 years in which they have shared a dressing-room. “He’s always there at mid-off giving little words of advice,” Woakes added. “He assesses conditions and pitches better than anyone I’ve seen. The way he talks about what deliveries are working on the surface so early on is just incredible. It’s very easy to think you just pick that up but actually he is the best at doing that. And it’s come across in the way he’s played the game for so long, and dominated opening batsmen. That’s the thing I’d say he’s really helped me with, assessing conditions and what deliveries to bowl at what times. I didn’t bowl a wobble ball until Jimmy started talking to me about it. So that’s been huge.”

I thought by now his career stats skew would have improved a little but things still remain same.

In Eng avgs 22 with ball and 33 with bat
Outside Eng avgs 51 with ball and 22 with bat.

He is still a very valuable cricketer given his skillsets but at his age maybe another 2-3 seasons left to fix his legacy. Hope he can have a good final Ashes tour.

Chris Woakes averages 32.76 with the bat and 21.90 with the ball in Test matches played at home.

This is the beaty of Test cricket

Woakes opens the bowling for the hosts and he sends down five dot balls to opener Brathwaite before bowling him with the last ball of the first over.

81n4BFg.jpg

Woakes will be considered overseas - McCullum

England fast bowler Chris Woakes will be considered for overseas tours despite his poor record away from home, says head coach Brendon McCullum.

Woakes, 35, averages 21.83 with the ball in 31 Tests in England, but that rises sharply to 51.95 in 20 games overseas.

Some have questioned Woakes' selection after the retirement of James Anderson, 41, as they look to build an attack capable of winning back the Ashes in Australia in 2025-26.

Captain Ben Stokes has said he could not explain why Woakes had remained available but Anderson was asked to retire without sounding "ageist".

Woakes averages 51.68 in seven Tests down under and does not reach the high speeds that England often desire for that trip.

Asked if Woakes could play overseas, McCullum said: "Yeah, why not?

"The way he bowled on these flat surfaces [in the West Indies series], reversing the ball, he was able to prise out some wickets."

Woakes' last overseas Test appearance was in the Caribbean in March 2022 before Stokes and McCullum took charge.

Woakes initially struggled for rhythm in the 3-0 series win over West Indies, having only played two red-ball games for Warwickshire this summer following the death of his father.

He improved throughout and finished with 11 wickets in the series.

"He's a remarkable cricketer who probably hasn't played as much as he could have in international cricket but every time he has, he's done really well," said McCullum.

"Whether that means he plays overseas, let's wait and see but it's hard to rub him out right now. He's done incredibly well and I'm delighted for him."

Another consideration for England is Woakes' ability with the bat. He scored 134 runs at eight, including a crucial 67 in the first innings at Edgbaston, having come in when the hosts were 169-6 and 113 behind.

England will struggle to find those runs elsewhere with Jamie Overton, Brydon Carse and Jofra Archer possible future options, though there is no guarantee any of them will make it to Australia.

Rehan Ahmed and Tom Hartley could fulfil that role in the long term but both behind Shoaib Bashir as England's frontline spinner.

England will also need to balance their attack for Australia, especially with at least one pink-ball Test expected to be part of the schedule, and Woakes would help do that alongside the high pace of Mark Wood, Gus Atkinson, Archer and Josh Tongue.

"There's a little bit of ammo that we are going to need on flat wickets when times arise," said McCullum.

BBC

Don’t rate him.

The guy hasn’t done anything outside England. When it comes to pace bowling we Bharatiyas have very high standards. Sorry for being harsh.

Chris Woakes another England injury worry after pulling out of The Hundred

England will be monitoring the status of Chris Woakes ahead of the three-Test series against Sri Lanka after the all-rounder withdrew from The Hundred due to injury, the news coming after captain Ben Stokes had to be helped off the pitch on Sunday.

Woakes, 35, has been named in England’s Test squad and was also set to play in the remaining two group stage matches for Birmingham Phoenix in the 100-ball tournament.

Test skipper Stokes suffered a suspected hamstring injury while playing in the 100-ball tournament and is doubtful for the opener against Sri Lanka on Aug. 21 at Old Trafford.

“Chris Woakes has withdrawn from the competition with injury. The England bowling all-rounder will no longer be a part of this year’s competition,” Birmingham Phoenix said on Instagram late on Monday.

England’s squad depth would be tested if they lose both all-rounders for the Sri Lanka series.

Reuters

Chris Woakes is arguably bowling at his best ever. He has now taken 11 series wickets at 18 apiece.

Chris Woakes is set to return to Asian Test conditions for the first time in eight years with Test series against Pakistan, he told local UK media:

"My away record speaks for itself."

"I know what I'm capable of."

"The fact I've been selected suggests I'm pretty good and from a knowledge perspective, I have a wealth of it - more so now than ever in my career."

JFSfa2J.png

Back