[VIDEOS] Inzamam-ul-Haq accuses the Indian team of ball-tampering in an ICC T20 World Cup 2024 match against Australia

Devadwal

Test Debutant
Runs
Inzamam Ul Haq said - "Arshdeep Singh's balls were swinging, something was done to the ball by India's in T20 World Cup 2024".

What's your take on this?

India accused of ball-tampering against Australia by Inzamam-ul-Haq: 'Arshdeep was getting reverse-swing by 15th over'

India's handsome 26-run win over Australia in Monday's T20 World Cup Super Eight game, which saw them qualify for the semi-final, has been soured with Inzamam-ul-Haq levelling ball-tampering allegations against Rohit Sharma and his team. Inzamam, the former Pakistan captain, claims something was done to the ball due to which India's left-arm quick Arshdeep Singh was able to generate reverse-swing during Australia's innings.

Arshdeep was the pick of India's bowlers, grabbing 3/37. He dismissed David Warner in the first over of the innings and proceeded to send back Matthew Wade and Tim David in the 18th. But while Arshdeep was precession personified in his second spell of two overs, Inzamam sensed something fishy and urged the officials to 'keep their eyes open'

"You can't ignore the fact that when Arshdeep Singh was bowling the 15th over, the ball was reverse-swinging. Isn't it too early for the new ball to start reversing? The ball was ready to reverse by the 12th-13th over. Umpires should keep their eyes open. We a know a bit about reverse swing, so if Arshdeep Singh is able to reverse swing the ball, some serious work was done on the ball," Inzamam said on the 'World Cup Hungama' Show on Pakistan's 24 News channel.

This isn't the first time the Indian team or any of its players is accused of a ball-tampering offence. In 2001, Indian cricket was rocked when Sachin Tendulkar was suspended for one game by match referee Mike Denness after the cameras picked up visuals of the great man scuffing the ball's seam during India's Test match against South Africa in Port Elizabeth. Outside of India, former Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi was banned for two T20Is after he was found guilty of ball tampering. Afridi went to the extent of biting the ball during a 2010 ODI against Australia at the WACA, which was captured by the TV cameras.

But the most infamous of them all has to be the 2018 sandpaper gate incident when the Australian trio of Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were punished severely for rubbing sandpaper on the ball in the Cape Town Test against South Africa.

Inzamam's claim gets a lot more bizarre

Coming back to Inzamam's allegations, what makes it even more baffling is the fact that the former Pakistan batter justified the ball reverse-swinging via Jasprit Bumrah but not by Arshdeep. Inzamam did try to take some heat off himself by mentioning that the ball could have behaved the way it did due to being smashed by the likes of Mitchell Marsh and Travis Head, both of whom threatened to take the game away from India, but it was too late to take it back and the damage was already done.

"The thing with reverse swing is that if Bumrah does it – his action is such – I can understand. The ball needs to be set up in a way that it reverses. I can understand that maybe the ball was hit a lot, the pitch was such. The ball could have been impacted after being hit around the stands. But whatever that was happening, could have been carefully monitored," Inzamam pointed out.

SOURCE: https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...verse-swing-by-15th-over-101719379525870.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Umar Gul used to reverse swing in T20. Obviously, Arshdeep is no Gul, so there must have been tampering.

There are legal ways to set up the ball... Throwing at certain angles to the keeper. On the edges of pitch ball can get scuffed up. That's ok in my opinion.

Huh where was he when Aussies were also getting it in their innings ?

Also people forget the extreme windy conditions. Even the slightest of deformations can result in amplified swing under such cross winds.

Umar Gul used to reverse swing in T20. Obviously, Arshdeep is no Gul, so there must have been tampering.
Particularly ironic since Inzi was captain during Ovalgate when Darrell Hair accused the Pakistanis of tampering and Gul was getting massive early reverse swing.

We already heard a brainless allegation by Hasan Raza in WC 2023 that IND is using two different balls

But this allegations coming from inzy is very surprised .

Pak players are prone to engaging in cospiracies, very low level of trust in their system perhaps? Aloo bhai must be given some media training.

There we go again.... Everyone hop on to the conspiracy express... Next stop - Australians lost deliberately due to IPL.

Particularly ironic since Inzi was captain during Ovalgate when Darrell Hair accused the Pakistanis of tampering and Gul was getting massive early reverse swing.
I don't buy irony as an argument. Just because someone MAY be involved in something, doesn't mean they cannot speak against it when others are involved.

Inzi knows that reverse swing can be achieved in T20. Umar Gul was brought after the 12th over and could generate reverse swing. So his only argument must be that Arshdeep cannot reverse, because he doesnt the same skills are pakistani bowlers.

I don't buy irony as an argument. Just because someone MAY be involved in something, doesn't mean they cannot speak against it when others are involved.

Inzi knows that reverse swing can be achieved in T20. Umar Gul was brought after the 12th over and could generate reverse swing. So his only argument must be that Arshdeep cannot reverse, because he doesnt the same skills are pakistani bowlers.
Lol the bowler literally bowls reverse swing.

And then the guy claims he must be cheating because he thinks that the guy can't bowl reverse swing.

Unless Inzy has been part of Indian coaching set up and has closely observed what AS has been doing over last few years, how in the world is he qualified to make such a statement on a player ?

Shaheen Afridi was reversing the ball at around the 15th over against USA

So, what do we make of it?

And Pakistani experts are showing something in which they are expert .:kp
Rich coming from an Indian fan after what Tendulkar did in 2001. No wonder Mike Denness received death threats - how dare he punish their god? :runaway:

He didn’t accuse; only has his suspicion. Said the ball had been worked on - could be a number of different ways that can be done.

Said should be carefully monitored.

No big deal really

Shaheen Afridi was reversing the ball at around the 15th over against USA

So, what do we make of it?
I think every bowling attack has reversed the ball at that stage especially in day games. Not a whole lot but the ball was tailing in ever so slightly

Rich coming from an Indian fan after what Tendulkar did in 2001. No wonder Mike Denness received death threats - how dare he punish their god? :runaway:

I’ve not been following stuff on PP very closely, but looks like @Mamoon has taken up another entertaining, and (as always) highly factual, highly plausible, highly controversial, dissertation. This one titled ‘Indian fans’.

I look forward to some pleasurable reading moments.

Still remember him and his team shedding those crocodile tears when Darrell Hair accused them of tampering without evidence. And now he does the same thing to another team.

Pretty serious accusation. Unless you have evidence, you are making yourself look like a fool.

IIRC, a U.S bowler accused Haris Rauf of ball-tampering too.

When do these accusations become slander? Because you are essentially assassinating somebody's character by saying stuff like this. Although I wouldn't call this character assassination. Because having the poster boy of match-fixing on the same show agreeing with Inzamam makes this more funny and dumb than anything else.

Think most teams probably engage in ball tampering. I think reverse swing is often the result of ball tampering. It’s just tolerated because batsmen tend to have the advantage in cricket anyway and extremely difficult to clamp down on.

Does OP not understand Urdu/Hindi? Inzamam is merely saying that he is surprised that Arshdeep was swinging the ball so early and with his action it's almost impossible. He also suggested maybe the ball roughened up after being hit around so much.

Nowhere did I hear him say India ball tampered.

Lot of stuff happened under inzi…dont forget pitch digging by afridi, ball biting, match fixing. Inzi should focus on buffeting with azam khan not fit for analysis.

Wind.

Wind was blowing across the pitch at 30 to 40 kmphr.

Sorry bhai, some Pakistani's dont know about wind contribution, Inzi was never a smart guy…maybe he should atleast go learn “wind factor” theory… then again..he will say indian scientists made the wind blows super hard…

To our fellow Indian posters, life is hard for us Pak cricket fans, team crashed out, no real future and a zillion TV shows with former players. These guys are also lost, we are reaching new lows every new single day :-(

Inzi is onto something. Plus need to check Rohit Sharmas bat as well, it doesn't look right.
Inzi's bhatija has been swinging his bat for more than half a decade now and none of his shots are clearing the boundaries with such ease. Something in Sharma'jis bat as well!
And Rohit doesn't have the skill set to hit such big long sixes with that body of his.

To our fellow Indian posters, life is hard for us Pak cricket fans, team crashed out, no real future and a zillion TV shows with former players. These guys are also lost, we are reaching new lows every new single day :-(
We understand. People get very salty & bitter when things are not going well for them. And things in Pakistan have been in sorry state for a fairly long time now - not just cricket but overall as a nation as well. So its fine.

Hope Pakistan recovers both in cricket and as a nation.

Inzi is onto something. Plus need to check Rohit Sharmas bat as well, it doesn't look right.
Inzi's bhatija has been swinging his bat for more than half a decade now and none of his shots are clearing the boundaries with such ease. Something in Sharma'jis bat as well!
Remember the spring in Sanath Jayasuriya's bat

Only 90s kids will know this !

Addressing the media ahead of India's semifinal clash against England on Thursday, Rohit Sharma responds sharply to Inzamam-ul-Haq's ball-tampering allegation:

"What should I say now about this? You are playing in such hot sun, the wicket is so dry, the ball reverses automatically. It's happening for all the teams, not only ours All the teams are reverse swinging. Sometimes, it's important to open your mind. It's important to understand what conditions you're playing in. The match is not taking place in England or Australia. That's what I'll say."

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel Pakistan legends don’t realize their stature in the world. They think they are like anonymous posters on Pakpassion. Inzamam has a lot of respect and admirers in India and around the world, he should chose his words wisely because cricket fraternity pays attention to his words.

Let's see where he ends up. There are far better bowlers in India.
I agree but bowlers like him are probably more useful in t20s than someone like a Shami who's streets ahead of him.

Batsman are always attacking in t20s, so his slower bowls end up being effective.

I thought you would be his fan after what he did to Babar in 22

Inzi claim is baseless as much as your claim regarding Afghanistan intent against india.
What is baseless? What did he claim? He’s basically saying his issue is his surprise at Arshdeep reverse swinging it. Nothing wrong with a bit of analysis sometimes.

Otherwise the whole world would be yes sir, no sir.

It’s time for you to man up and stop being so sensitive.

I agree but bowlers like him are probably more useful in t20s than someone like a Shami who's streets ahead of him.

Batsman are always attacking in t20s, so his slower bowls end up being effective.

I thought you would be his fan after what he did to Babar in 22
Babar? Lol. Any old 3rd class bowler can get him out.

The funny thing is Indian fans thinking they’re getting their revenge by attacking Babar! A lot of us take no pride in Babar - we’re bigger critics of him than you are!

What is baseless? What did he claim? He’s basically saying his issue is his surprise at Arshdeep reverse swinging it. Nothing wrong with a bit of analysis sometimes.

You can't accused anyone without proof.

If inzamam think that india done Ball tempering than he needs to come up with solid evidence.

Bit ironic how Inzamam once threw a mighty tantrum and pulled out of a test match at Oval over such tampering allegations. Ended up getting a lengthy ban as well

Nothing more manly than crying about Afghanistan not being hard enough against India on an internet forum

Pretty silly from Inzi, clearly taking away limelight from PCT performance.

Still employed by Establishment

Waiting for that fake apology from Inzi. Inzi is a nominee now for that best actor award - Sreeshanth, Rizwan and Gulbadeen.

This is shocking coming from Inzy. He is a thorough gentleman. Indian players have always praised his behaviour.

For someone of his stature to indulge in consipracy theories.

Last world cup hasan raza said something crazy. Are they serious? Just whinging like Donald Trump?

This is shocking coming from Inzy. He is a thorough gentleman. Indian players have always praised his behaviour.

For someone of his stature to indulge in consipracy theories.
"Let him cook"
We need the rest of the world to believe our players got no skills but only cheat can be a reason for our success. Its good, else they will actually focus on improving themselves.

This sort of mentality has left Pakistan behind in cricket. To think that these people actually end up in PCB management roles is shocking. It seems like former Pakistan players are struggling to come to terms that India now have a good pace attack and are cooking up conspiracy theories to discredit them. I know that BCCI is rich and does have some pull in world cricket but these sorts of allegations are now getting tiring I feel. If they can't talk something insightful, they can stop giving their expert opinions on TV.

Inzi just doubled down again today - asserting his belief that the umpires need to have a keen eye on Arshdeep Singh on a TV show in Pakistan.

Back