[VIDEOS] Is Shaheen Shah Afridi the best fast-bowler in the world right now?

Due to his PR and father in law..just wait for him to become ODI captain as well…whereas he should be dropped… based on his current form

He needs to be dropped based on present form. Australia dumped Peter Siddle when his speeds dropped from 138-142 km/hr to 127-130 km/hr and Mitchel Johnson was man enough to retire immediately when his speeds had declined. Shaheen has been pampered excessively and too much T20 cricket has ruined him.

Father in law is too powerful he won't let his jamai be discarded without causing a huge amount of noise and character assassination on media

I'm saying it now if mir hamza was given a consistent run although he's nothing special as well he'd have better performances than shaheen

What’s so special about YOU saying Shaheen is the most overrated bowler right now?
Because I've been calling him overrated for a good 2 years now whereas fans here still call him world-class.

Also, I've said that Babar's captaincy actually elevated his batting and now just wait and watch how Babar's batting dips.

After Day 2, 1st Test Australia vs Pakistan, in a press conference Umar Gul said:

"[Shaheen] Although he is our star bowler, our main bowler, he was looking for his rhythm. But on the other side, he bowled really well along with the youngsters, trying to find his rhythm. Hopefully, he is looking in good shape, and it's always difficult to play red-ball cricket after a long time. But I hope he will do well in the second innings."

Shaheen Shah Afridi is the best bowler on the planet, at 40% health he is holding things together for Pakistan with no support and still has world class pedigree.

He’s the only one capable of bowling Test match lengths and his pressure is allowing the others to express themselves.

If he was rested, who was going to step in? you can’t win with Pakistan fans.

Haris Rauf doesn’t feel he is ready, Hasan Ali is just too short, the others are too inexperienced.

Only Shah could have lead the attack, a handicapped Shaheen is still better then every alternative in Pakistan. The risk is that he could get injured, but with some sharp captaincy you’d hope that could be avoided.

I 100% agree that Shaheen is partly himself to blame too for abusing his body and running himself to the ground.

But then there's no winning with Pakistan fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has adopted the mercenary route don't be surprised if he takes a sabbatical from Test cricket, he is already booked in PSL, 100, Vitality blast, Ilt20, LPL, BPL

can anyone tell me the hype behind this guy? All he does is try to bowl Yorkers and hope that it swings back in...people who think he is a generational talent just don't know anything about cricket. look Khurram...even tho he doesn't have express pace the guy can land 5 out of 6 balls on the same spot...but this fraud can do something like that.

we cant have this guy as our test spearhead bowler

They keep running his career into to the ground. An improvement on his 1st innings efforts today but needs time out to rediscover his pace.FB_IMG_1702663807177.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They keep running his career into to the ground. An improvement on his 1st innings efforts today but needs time out to rediscover his pace.
Is he a toddler. Can he not work on his strength and fitness. Did someone tell him to play the hundred and the NatWest blast.

He can also not take up captaincy skip the psl and spend 6 months rehabilitating his body so he is back to best.

Is he a toddler. Can he not work on his strength and fitness. Did someone tell him to play the hundred and the NatWest blast.

He can also not take up captaincy skip the psl and spend 6 months rehabilitating his body so he is back to best.
I am also against players going to every league under the sun, but PCB could have also done their part by not playing their prize quick in every game. Workload management is crucial for fast bowlers. If they gave him more time out we could have been seeing 140+ pace on aussie wickets

Due to injuries he missed many important series in last 1.5 years specially test series against Eng & NZ at home and his fans believes that he is not able to bowl well because he is still not fully fit and also his partner Naseem is not there in team. The fact is he is an ordinary, inconsistent & overhyped bowler who always looks for few glory balls but always ends up loosing his line & length. He is considered as next Wasim Akram but I will remember him as a bowler who left the field in T20 WC final after bowling only 2 overs when his team needed him most. If Shaheen cannot perform at pitches like Perth, he can't perform anywhere else

What’s so special about YOU saying Shaheen is the most overrated bowler right now?

Not defending Shaheen's waywardness with the ball. He doesn't have the control to get away with any reduction in pace. He doesn't have the patience to set up batsmen in longer formats so constantly looks for glory balls.

However comparing Shaheen's comeback from his knee injury last summer to how Starc, Shami and co have recovered from injuries is wilful blindness to the gross negligence of PCB's medical panel who've a long and illustrious history of mishandling fast bowlers.

Why was Shaheen taken to the Netherlands last August to "rehab with the team" ? I'm not a doctor but as a health professional I've never heard in my life the notion you can recover from a PCL injury by sitting on an 11 hour flight. The guy went on his own to England for treatment and it took a public campaign to shame PCB into reimbursing his medical expenses. He was then prematurely rushed back into action for the T20 World Cup which reaggravated his injury.

Shaheen hasn't helped his cause playing leagues like The 100 but the damage was already done. Until we sever the link between politicians and PCB, appoint administrators on merit and overhaul our entire medical strategies we'll create threads 20 years from now titled:

"Why our -insert name of latest promising fast bowler- has lost his pace and zip ?"

can anyone tell me the hype behind this guy? All he does is try to bowl Yorkers and hope that it swings back in...people who think he is a generational talent just don't know anything about cricket. look Khurram...even tho he doesn't have express pace the guy can land 5 out of 6 balls on the same spot...but this fraud can do something like that.

we cant have this guy as our test spearhead bowler
Kinda agree. Was he that good even before his injury in the test matches against the elite teams? Now post injury, he is showing nothing. Maybe he should retire from red ball cricket and concentrate on white ball cricket.

Another Pakistan cricketer us supporters have over hyped.

Kinda agree. Was he that good even before his injury in the test matches against the elite teams? Now post injury, he is showing nothing. Maybe he should retire from red ball cricket and concentrate on white ball cricket.

Another Pakistan cricketer us supporters have over hyped.
i never rated him tbh...only time i was impressed by him was when he set up ro sharma in the Asia cup when he took two away and brought one back in to bowl him out...other than that he is a one-trick pony who as i said try to bowl that yorker and hope that batsmen missing it.

and now he is practising batting as well so it is only gonna go down from here. when you deviate from perfecting your main skill thats the point when you become useless

if he was this good he wouldn't have been smashed by Kohli and Wade in them t20wcs.

for me Naseem is the real deal if he can stay fit. he's a guy with a brain who can bowl those hard lengths

Ravi Shastri said during the commentary in the 1st Test between Pakistan and Australia:

“I think the real problem for Shaheen is the pressure of being the spearhead of this Pakistan attack and without much support at the other end when it comes to pace."

“You don’t have one bowler here who is even close to 140, so that puts immense pressure on someone like Shaheen."

Starc Hazlewood Cummins are the best fast bowlers in Test cricket, SSA is long way behind them infact not in their league, it's very rare a team has 3 World class fast bowlers

Nowhere near the best fast bowler.

Look at his numbers in Tests against the likes of England, Australia and NZ - very mediocre at best.

Nowhere near the best fast bowler.

Look at his numbers in Tests against the likes of England, Australia and NZ - very mediocre at best.
The top 4 teams in the last few years has been Ind, Eng, Aus and NZ. No chance to play against Ind. Against other three, he averages 45 per wicket. I will call it very poor.

Really needs to retire. Looks absolutely spent and finished. Embarrassing stuff when bowling speed is less thans Mir Hamzahs who’s a trundler himself.

Your not going to take wickets bowling gentle Paul collingwood type away swingers. Always looks on the cusp of a beating.

Need to get rid of this dead wood and invest in proper 145kph + bowers who consistently got them speeds like Naseem

He needs like 6 months away from the game to rest and fix his action. I'm no technical expert, but his arm speed clearly looks a lot slower than what it was and IMO it's do with the bad habits he's picked up post elbow injury.

He needs like 6 months away from the game to rest and fix his action. I'm no technical expert, but his arm speed clearly looks a lot slower than what it was and IMO it's do with the bad habits he's picked up post elbow injury.
Stop making excuses he can take 1 year break and will still bowl 70mph gentle pies like collingwood. I called it a year ago and I’ve been spot on about everyone.

He needs to retire and Pakistan need to search for the next left arm pacers who can clock 145 clicks

He is reminding me of Alan Mullaly these days with his intimidating height but gentle medium military pace. People are calling him trundler I say with each passing days he is becoming a caricature. I have never seen a Pakistani fast bowler losing so much yard & venom within such short period. Much like his clique brethren too much overhyping by the board & PR got into his head & the lad thinks he doesn't need to develop further as he has already accomplished a lot.

He is reminding me of Alan Mullaly these days with his intimidating height but gentle medium military pace. People are calling him trundler I say with each passing days he is becoming a caricature. I have never seen a Pakistani fast bowler losing so much yard & venom within such short period. Much like his clique brethren too much overhyping by the board & PR got into his head & the lad thinks he doesn't need to develop further as he has already accomplished a lot.
That is cause he is being over bowled and rushed back from injuries. Yes hype dint help either. Back to square one it is.

Really needs to retire. Looks absolutely spent and finished. Embarrassing stuff when bowling speed is less thans Mir Hamzahs who’s a trundler himself.

Your not going to take wickets bowling gentle Paul collingwood type away swingers. Always looks on the cusp of a beating.

Need to get rid of this dead wood and invest in proper 145kph + bowers who consistently got them speeds like Naseem
Injuries really ruined him. Poor guy. Needs an extensive break .

Starc Hazlewood Cummins are the best fast bowlers in Test cricket, SSA is long way behind them infact not in their league, it's very rare a team has 3 World class fast bowlers
Nha they are mostly only good on hard wickets.

Cummins is class in most places except india.

Starc is overrated outside Australia and same as hazelwood.

They have only one true top class bowler.

Nha they are mostly only good on hard wickets.

Cummins is class in most places except india.

Starc is overrated outside Australia and same as hazelwood.

They have only one true top class bowler.
keep your magnifier away, they are world class trio period.

This thread is about Shaheen. No need to discuss Starc's performance here. We have a thread on him as well for this discussion. Please Stay on topic.

Trust me with elbow j juries you will never be the same again,
Ive had 10+ cortisone injections and surgeries on my elbow and it has never fully recovered to anywhere near what it eas pre injury. Like Archer it could be curtains soon.

Also with everyone wanting Naseem to comeback,
It is highly he wont be bowling anywhere near the same speeds he was before his shoulder injury. Just look at Jhye Richardson.

Do we blame him for that look when Warner wicket fell?

rwLO2nU.png

To be honest, Shaheen has been unlukcy so far. First that drop catch and now this review from Smith.

1703574469498.png

Today Shaheen bowled exceptionally well with full aggression. The way he sledged Marnus is something we've been missing for a while. Although Shaheen didn't get a wicket but i believe he will definitely take wickets tomorrow.

Indians will remember Abey Kuruvilla. He had impressive height & physique - 6ft 6, ran in quick and then bowled 130 kph dollies !

Shaheen is bowling even slower than yesterday, hardly hitting 130 kmph.

Don't know what's wrong with this guy.

Impressive bowling. He’s bowled 26 overs. Speaks volumes of his fitness.

I’m hopeful he will get back into rhythm.

Bowled well. Back to back injuries clearly made him weak. He’ll pick up.
How long will it take for him to pick up after his comeback? it has already been more than 1 year since he came back. I think he should be up and running now. No more excuses or else he should have some rest if he is not 100%.

How long will it take for him to pick up after his comeback? it has already been more than 1 year since he came back. I think he should be up and running now. No more excuses or else he should have some rest if he is not 100%.
He already has. Did you see the first innings? He was unlucky and bowled like he deserved a few more wickets.

He hasn't really had any rest he's been playing non stop since last couple years.

Shaheen gets it on the money in his first over and gets the big wicket of Ussy. What a start, it's been a while since he has taken a wicket in the first over.

t0ZLTyh.png

Seriously needs to retire shocking bowling trundling in at 125kph.

Getting a few cheap wickets now won’t save the day. Doesn’t change the fact he’s trundling in at 125 kph and bowling pies

Back to bowling 70mph floaters. Bowling 20mph slower than what he used to what a sad decline

He really needs to be more consistant with his line and length if he is not bowling with pace anymore. Channel bowling can help him now if not pace.

I still think that he isn’t on the level of Mir Hamza when it comes to skills

Hamza has 5 Tests but it’s like the guy has 300+ Test wickets the way he bowls. He’s another level.

has he added some gas or same speed. Was not able to watch. How about Hamza
I watched his first spell

He was phenomenal. He really belongs at Test level, was bowling as if he has 300+ Test wickets. The control and skill was clear for everyone to see

I watched his first spell

He was phenomenal. He really belongs at Test level, was bowling as if he has 300+ Test wickets. The control and skill was clear for everyone to see
Shaheen even when out of form still shows more heart and passion than gutless Babar. The two shouldn't be grouped.

He made useful runs with the bat too.

Shaheen even when out of form still shows more heart and passion than gutless Babar. The two shouldn't be grouped.

He made useful runs with the bat too.
One thing about Shaheen, the boy doesn’t think too much. He just goes and does his thing. Doesn’t go down easily.

He bowled well last night, he still lacks the control to consistently attack the 4th stump, without which he can't create pressure and uncertainty. There was a bit of zip but the pitch had everything you need as a fast bowler with both pace and movement. He still isn't out of the woods and harder tests will come on wickets without help.

Shaheen has bowled more than 50 overs in this Test, hopefully he will remain fit for Sydney Test

1703809259262.jpeg

I don't know why we have to overbowl him like hell every game??

He bowled 54 overs in this game.

The next highest? Mir Hamza with 40 overs. Hasan 40 and jamal 35.

Why can't we have a more even distribution. What are the other bowlers there for?? Hamza in particular bowled very well this game, why didn't he bowl some of these overs?

Former Pakistani captain Shahid Afridi, while speaking to a sports channel, dismissed injury concerns about Shaheen Afridi. He said:

"I've never got the impression that Shaheen has an injury. If you're injured you can't play as a fast bowler. He knows his responsibility and how important he is to the team."

"The fast bowlers, we are expecting a lot from them because they've done well in the past. Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen etc. have performed so well we expect them to perform in every match. Relentless consistency is challenging in cricket.”

"I have always said that unless our bench is strong we won't be able to take the best decisions. The A team should be as strong as the main team, so if Shaheen or Babar or Rizwan aren't strong, we shouldn't have the excuses of players being unavailable, like we do with Naseem now. When our bench is strong, we will no longer have excuses."

I don't know why we have to overbowl him like hell every game??

He bowled 54 overs in this game.

The next highest? Mir Hamza with 40 overs. Hasan 40 and jamal 35.

Why can't we have a more even distribution. What are the other bowlers there for?? Hamza in particular bowled very well this game, why didn't he bowl some of these overs?
They didn’t have a proper spinner to share the bulk load of the work.

Cummins is clear in tests. His nearest rival Bumrah for me has a hugh question mark over the legitimacy of his action.

For me he is a clear chucker.

As for Shaheen, not in the top five for me. Needs to be more consistent.

Finn Allen smashed Shaheen for 24 runs in a over in the 1st T20 match. This is the most expensive over in T20 in shaheen's career.

It's not that he is not trying to bowl quick , he actually putting everything in his deliveries and still it's not crossing 135k , something to do with his abnormal muscles , he definitely need some rest and medical advice regarding his muscles.

Finn Allen smashed Shaheen for 24 runs in an over in the 1st T20 match. This is the most expensive over in T20 in shaheen's career.
He’s become cannon fodder bowling these 75mph pies. Told everyone he’s finished and won’t ever recover. Literally been burnt to the ground. Should retire to save face.

He’s become cannon fodder bowling these 75mph pies. Told everyone he’s finished and won’t ever recover. Literally been burnt to the ground. Should retire to save face.
Shaheen is not world class material. Can't keep hiding under the excuse that he has been forced to play excessive cricket. As an all format pace bowler along the lines of Starc, Southee, Hazelwood, Cummins etc, he has actually played less cricket than his counterparts and supposedly younger on paper too and looks all washed out already. Only in Pakistan average players like him are hyped to the moon.

What a take down by Fin Allen

Fin is the kind of guy that ends careers. He is the Fingolfin of world cricket!

Back