[VIDEOS] Moeen Ali retires from International cricket [Update at Post#258]

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Moeen Ali will announce his retirement from Test cricket on Monday morning having informed Joe Root, the England captain, and Chris Silverwood, the head coach and national selector, of this decision last week.

==

England Men’s all-rounder Moeen Ali has decided to call time on his Test match career.

Ali, 34, made his Test debut back in 2014 and went on to represent England in 64 Test matches.

He took 195 Test wickets including 5 five-wicket hauls and scored five Test match centuries during his career.

Discussing his decision, Ali said: “I’m 34 now and I want to play for as long as I can and I just want to enjoy my cricket.

“Test cricket is amazing, when you’re having a good day it’s better than any other format by far, it’s more rewarding and you feel like you’ve really earnt it.

“I will miss just walking out there with the lads, playing against best in the world with that feeling of nerves but also from a bowling point of view, knowing with my best ball I could get anyone out.”

“I’ve enjoyed Test Cricket but that intensity can be too much sometimes and I feel like I’ve done enough of it and I’m happy and content with how I’ve done.”

Ali hopes that his Test career will inspire and open the door for other British Muslims to play for England.

Ali added: “It always takes somebody to inspire you or takes somebody to think if he can do it I can and I hope there are a few people out there who are thinking that.

“I know he wasn’t English but someone like Hashim Amla, when I first saw him, I thought if he can do it I can do it, it does take that little spark.

“I’d love one day in 8-10 years’ time to say Moeen made it easier for me. There have been guys before me who made it easier, so you hope to open the door for someone else.”

Ali thanked his coaches, captains and all of his family for their support during his Test career.

Ali said: “I have to thank Peter Moores and Chris Silverwood for being my coaches and Peter for giving me my debut. Cookie and Rooty as the captains who I’ve enjoyed playing under and I hope they are happy with how I played.

“My parents are my number one, I feel without their support there is no way I would have made it, every game I played was for them and I know they are really proud of me.

“My brothers and my sister, on my bad days they’ve been the first to pick me up and my wife and kids, my wife’s sacrifices and the patience she has, I am really grateful for that.

“They have all been amazing on my journey, everything I did I did for them.”

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2272297

Last edited by a moderator:
Very odd timing of the retirement.

England are already struggling to assemble a squad for the Ashes. He is fit and able, he should just be available for this one last tour and then he can hang up his boots as an England Test international. It is understood already that this Ashes tour can be the last of some England players.

If Moeen Ali was a Pakistani player he’d be dropped from the LOI format for retiring from Test cricket, and he’d be blackmailed by the management to make him take back his retirement from test cricket

Maybe this is also an indication that England are planning to pull out of the Ashes for this winter?

England in Australia is nearly always 4-0 or 5-0 anyway.

No wonder England wants to pull out.

Mental health of players is more important than the result. I would pull the tour.

I was hoping he will take 200 test wickets, currently is at 195.

Yeah, more than Emburey and Tufnell, and add to that his five test centuries.

But he looks like he never got his confidence back after the 2018 Ashes. Test cricket is hard.

Moeen can retire and n the knowledge that he had been a fine servant to England.

Though he underachieved as a whole, he had some really good tests against us.

Best of luck to the Mighty Mo for future.

Its good for England. His bowling was below par and didn't bat well enough to deserve a place.

Moeen only provided the option of including an extra bowler.

England can only play 5 bowlers now. I expect the rotation policy to continue in the ashes

The writing was on the wall for quite some time in my opinion.

Still, a career worth celebrating. For a long period of time he was easily the best spinner in English conditions...in the world. And he won so many matches for England with his bowling, and his very handy batting.

Had his fair share of struggles, but his ability to contribute with both bat and ball for England made him an invaluable player to have in the side sometimes. Especially in England where they didn't want to go with more than one spinner on most occasions.

Mental health of players is more important than the result. I would pull the tour.

After pulling out of tours of South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and now Australia, much rather quit playing the sport then.

Moeen should play Ashes one last time for milestone purpose (200W & 3000 Runs) and then retire.
It would be unfair to any new Spin Bowler and for Eng to start with Ashes Down Under which is always career ender for English players and Spin Bowlers like Swann, Panesar, etc

Disappointing to hear this but wish him all the best. Concerned about time away from home then skip the IPL but tough decision and hope he doesn’t regret it.

Regarding his underachievement as a batsman I don’t think he was helped by batting as low as 8 at times, something I know he was unhappy about and caused sins confusion. He’s a frontline batsman and never understood why he’d be batting below Butler for example. I think his best innings remains the century in his second test v SL which so very nearly saved the test.

Moeen should play Ashes one last time for milestone purpose (200W & 3000 Runs) and then retire.
It would be unfair to any new Spin Bowler and for Eng to start with Ashes Down Under which is always career ender for English players and Spin Bowlers like Swann, Panesar, etc

Swann’s career ended because his elbow disintegrated. Monty’s ended due to mental health issues.

I’d expect Leach to be spinner of choice in Australia, if the tour goes ahead. He is a mature guy who knows his game and his mind. But as Silverwood has no clue, he will probably pick young Bess because his face fits, and set him back by years.

Disappointing to hear this but wish him all the best. Concerned about time away from home then skip the IPL but tough decision and hope he doesn’t regret it.

The reason he is quitting test cricket is because of the IPL, and other leagues like the CPL and PSL. He just wants to earn a quick buck - not play the highest format for England vs their old foe Australia.

Regarding his underachievement as a batsman I don’t think he was helped by batting as low as 8 at times, something I know he was unhappy about and caused sins confusion. He’s a frontline batsman and never understood why he’d be batting below Butler for example. I think his best innings remains the century in his second test v SL which so very nearly saved the test.

He was a very good counterattacker in that position, reeling off Goweresque fifties and seventies.

But I agree that he was not often used properly by England who couldn’t figure out how to, and that must have messed him about.

Best of luck to Mo. A talented player, and a brilliant one in Tests on his day.

Good decision at the right time. A man knows when it is time to move on.

Look forward to seeing more of Moeen's tricky bowling and attractive batting in ODIs and T20s.

Should have averaged about 5-6 more with ball and bat for his actual ability. Overall he should be happy with career. Several good moments

Great way to go out, after costing England the fourth test against India with his reckless shot, when England had the chance to bat Australia out of the game.

Overall, a fairly mediocre career.

Moeen, good on you! A great servant to the game, both on and off the field. I've had the pleasure of meeting him at several charity dinners and having watched him play at grounds all over the country. One of the finest cricketers this country has had the privilege of producing in recent times, one of the very best all format all rounders in the game who was sadly let down by poor selection, poor placement in the side and at times, very poor management.

It's been obvious for a while now that Moeen was not happy with his place in the test system, from the ECB throwing him under the bus in India, to dropping him 2 years back after a season where he was test cricket's highest wicket taker, to hot shotting him everywhere but the opening slot in tests...it's clear he feels comfortable in the LOI side, will play the World T20 (probably retire after that) and happily make a mint in the various leagues the game now offers.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Underacheived for how many excuses this guy loves giving out for everything.

Surprised. He still has 3-4 years in him.

Performed brilliantly v India.So a lot of memories. Loved watching him bat or bowl as there was certain elegance about him.

He was half decent on his day and did a lot for English cricket off the field which I feel will be his main legacy.

I understand the argument about getting more time up the order but he seemed to find really inventive ways of getting out, particularly towards the tail end of his career. Still, 5 centuries and 5 5'fers isn't to be scoffed at. I have a feeling that once he gives up cricket he will swiftly find his way in the commentary box.

He was the best spinner England have had after Swann retired.

I think he did a fine job considering he is primarily a batsman.

His batting became a joke once his weakness to the short ball was exposed.

He spent so much time practicing vsing the short ball and setting up for it that he forgot how to play other good balls.

That and he was forever mentally scarred by Nathan Lyon after 2018 Ashes.

Hopefully he reveals the name of the Australian player who racially abused him as well.

I think he has slotted in very well with CSK. I think he may even be retained and not go into the auction pool for the next big auction.

So he has a good contract in the IPL coming his way. I am sure at 34 he is thinking to maximize his earnings. And what better place to do than the IPL. And for this to happen, he needs to be fit.

Good luck to him in his new ventures.

Well done Mo He should look back and be proud at what hes achieved for england in test cricket

A selfless cricketer and a great role model for the minority community

I think he'll be disappointed with his batting average in Tests - 28.29. He's a better batsman than these numbers.

195 wickets at an average of 36.66 isn't too bad considering he wasn't a front-line spinner in Tests.

Decent talent. Didn’t live up to the expectations. Played a few games too many may be due to lack of options that fit the type.

A good allround player who definitely underperformed with the bat. Then again a clear lack of clarity in his role with continued yo-yo-ing up and down the order effected his batting. As for his bowling Moeen was more of a second spinner rather than the lead, and without a quality front line spinner it put him under more pressure to perform with the ball.

An good test career that should have been much better statistically- he should averaged around 38-40 with the bat. He did well with the ball and bar Lyon, not many did better than him in English seaming conditions.

A good career. Now he can spend his money and make even more playing T20'S.

Man, I hate seeing my favorite athletes retire but that is life. Nothing lasts forever and at least Moeen will still be around the forefront of English cricket, given his utility in LOIs, and of course, we'll see him in all the T20 leagues.

This is also the right time for him to retire. Yes, getting to 3000 runs and 200 200 wickets would be a great achievement, given the only English cricketers to get to this milestone can be counted on one hand. However, chasing milestones at the expense of the team's success should be left to the ATGs. :sachin:

People will obviously, and correctly, say that he underachieved and some trolls and fools will completely disregard his accomplishments but make no mistake, for a good five-six years, he was an essential part of the English team and one of the best all-rounders in the world. Like he said himself, when he was at his best he could get anyone out with the huge amount of revs he generated on the ball. Kohli almost became his bunny.

The batting was ultimately underwhelming. After a promising start and despite flashes of brilliance (two hundreds in India anyone?), Moeen did not do his talent justice but that was as much a fault of the team management's as it was Moeen's. Being the team player that he was, he batted in pretty much every position (and should have batted at 11, at times) without any of the sulking, whining and tantrums that you would expect from one of the first names on the team-sheet. A consistent run at #5 or #6 and he would have certainly had much better numbers with the bat.

Out of all the English cricketers to debut in the previous decade, only the untouchable Joe Root, and Ben Stokes, are better test cricketers. Out of all British-Asians to play test cricket, Moeen is the best. However good he was on the field, his legacy is cemented by who he is as a person. With the problems that English cricket, and English society in general, has had with racism and Islamophobia, Moeen was the perfect person to break down barriers. It was heart-warming for me to hear the Barmy Army and South African fans take turns singing the names Moeen Ali and Hashim Amla during a test match.

Hopefully, with the pressures and stress of test cricket behind him, he can focus on carving out a legacy in the shorter formats as well. With Stokes out for an indefinite period and the next two world cups taking place in Asia, Moeen has a very important role to play.

Moeen Ali Span Mat Runs Bat Av 100 Wkts Bowl Av 5W Ave Diff
overall 2014-2021 64 2914 28.29 5 195 36.66 5 -8.37
home 2014-2021 35 1764 33.28 3 104 33.48 4 -0.19
away 2015-2021 26 1066 24.22 2 82 39.37 1 -15.15
neutral 2015-2015 3 84 14 0 9 48.66 0 -34.66
in Australia 2017-2018 5 179 19.88 0 5 115 0 -95.11
in Bangladesh 2016-2016 2 92 23 0 11 22.9 1 0.09
in England 2014-2021 35 1764 33.28 3 104 33.48 4 -0.19
in India 2016-2021 6 430 39.09 2 18 48.61 0 -9.52
in New Zealand 2018-2018 1 28 14 0 0 - 0 -
in South Africa 2015-2016 4 116 29 0 10 48.5 0 -19.49
in Sri Lanka 2018-2018 3 78 13 0 18 24.5 0 -11.49
in U.A.E. 2015-2015 3 84 14 0 9 48.66 0 -34.66
in West Indies 2015-2019 5 143 17.87 0 20 27.1 0 -9.22

He should have scored a lot more than his stats suggested.

He should have scored a lot more than his stats suggested.

tbh, I am surprised to see those low averages. Strikes me as an underachiever compared to the hype we give him.

Should he have played the Ashes and then retire? Or maybe he has seen writing on the wall. Whitewash on the cards so better to retire and walk away.

Messed around silly by England management, A good guide on how to ruin a player.

His batting messed around with him batting number 7....
Bowling never given confidence for long enough....

England are going to miss him more than they realise.
Much of the press made him scape goat everytime England loss his position was questioned.

Personally, I feel he should have sat out the Ashes and made himself available next year at home. But retirement has been on cards for over year now.

Hopefully current management follows suit and retires themselves too.

Good memories but should have been give more backing and had more memories.

Looking at ease in IPL at the moment so maybe not a bad decision to quit Tests?

Correct me if am wrong, but he may have become the first England cricketer to win the IPL

That is correct, the first and the least deserving English player to not only win the World Cup but also the IPL.

That is correct, the first and the least deserving English player to not only win the World Cup but also the IPL.

You have a strong bias against him for no objective reason besides your petty rivalry with [MENTION=129948]Bilal7[/MENTION] among others.

But in England, we value Mo and now he has done well in and won the T20 league which you value more then the WT20, that must ache.

You have a strong bias against him for no objective reason besides your petty rivalry with [MENTION=129948]Bilal7[/MENTION] among others.

But in England, we value Mo and now he has done well in and won the T20 league which you value more then the WT20, that must ache.

Moeen has an IPL trophy which neither Kohli nor de Villiers have, which puts into perspective how players should not be judged by their trophy cabinet.

It is good that he retired from Tests. Very convenient timing. He would have been mentally tortured by the Australian players again.

His performance and body-language in Australia in 2017-18 was among the worst we have ever seen by a touring player. It was embarrassing to watch.

Stokes was the IPL player of the tournament in 2017. His team lost the final by 1 run and he was not fit to play. A real tragedy, because his presence would have ensured that Pune won the final and he would have been the first English player win the title.

Similarly, Archer was the player of the tournament last year and far more deserving than Moeen to become the first England player to win the IPL.

Moeen has an IPL trophy which neither Kohli nor de Villiers have, which puts into perspective how players should not be judged by their trophy cabinet.

It is good that he retired from Tests. Very convenient timing. He would have been mentally tortured by the Australian players again.

His performance and body-language in Australia in 2017-18 was among the worst we have ever seen by a touring player. It was embarrassing to watch.

Exactly, neither of them have it and he does, it’s not just that he won it though, he has been a key member of the CSK team in helping them win to. So not giving credit where due and just showing up to hate is not the behaviour of a man.

His career had ups and downs for sure, in England we could have got better out of him to, but are now also regretting his retirement.

Stokes was the IPL player of the tournament in 2017. His team lost the final by 1 run and he was not fit to play. A real tragedy, because his presence would have ensured that Pune won the final and he would have been the first English player win the title.

Similarly, Archer was the player of the tournament last year and far more deserving than Moeen to become the first England player to win the IPL.

Very upsetting that Archer, Stokes and Morgan couldn’t win it

Exactly, neither of them have it and he does, it’s not just that he won it though, he has been a key member of the CSK team in helping them win to. So not giving credit where due and just showing up to hate is not the behaviour of a man.

His career had ups and downs for sure, in England we could have got better out of him to, but are now also regretting his retirement.

If it is any consolation, Moeen was at least half-decent during this IPL season unlike the World Cup where England had throw him out of the lineup to get their campaign back on track.

He was a on a mission to single-handedly destroy England’s chances of winning the World Cup.

If it is any consolation, Moeen was at least half-decent during this IPL season unlike the World Cup where England had throw him out of the lineup to get their campaign back on track.

He was a on a mission to single-handedly destroy England’s chances of winning the World Cup.

He wasn’t having a good World Cup and was subsequently dropped, there is nothing more else to it, can happen to any player and I don’t think I’d sugar coat that, but England could have lost one or two others during that tournament and still won it to be honest, such is the depth and mentality of our resources.

Yeah it was a great season for sure and icing on the cake to contribute in the final, it’s not a bad outing at all, definitely a big feather in the cap as it would be for any other England cricketer

You have discovered something never observed before by anyone in cricket- a player losing form and confidence. Is there no end to your talents.

Correct me if am wrong, but he may have become the first England cricketer to win the IPL

First to win and play in the final I believe, several others that have been part of the squad but unavailable or not picked for the final.

I spoke to Moeens brother back in late May, and its interesting that he said he really liked Kohlis Captaincy and enjoyed playing under him and he said really enjoyed playing under Dhoni and talked about his approach to using spinners and how it was different from other captains.

Well he's done enough to be picked again by CSK for next year.

If not by CSK, then I'm sure the other franchises will happily pick him.

You have discovered something never observed before by anyone in cricket- a player losing form and confidence. Is there no end to your talents.

In moeen's case, he just doesn't make it to the ODI team on merit. His numbers are below average even for his whole ODI career and it is especially poor if you look at his record from 2016 onwards. Apart from 1 good year in 2017 , his record is club level .

His utility was a test all rounder in home conditions and maybe T20's agaibst left handers heavy lineups. Apart from that , he should never played any international cricket really. Too many holes in his game

You get what you deserve and what you deserve is what you get.

Moeen fully deserves it and who are we to rubbish out his achievements.

In moeen's case, he just doesn't make it to the ODI team on merit. His numbers are below average even for his whole ODI career and it is especially poor if you look at his record from 2016 onwards. Apart from 1 good year in 2017 , his record is club level .

His utility was a test all rounder in home conditions and maybe T20's agaibst left handers heavy lineups. Apart from that , he should never played any international cricket really. Too many holes in his game
Moeen Ali is good solid player but i was always felt that his problem that he overestimated his ability with the bat and sometimes underestimated with the ball. As far merit is concerned, If England thought he made it to their team on merit then i dont see a problem.

Well he's done enough to be picked again by CSK for next year.

If not by CSK, then I'm sure the other franchises will happily pick him.

He will get picked because on the Ind wickets he looks to be bit of beast with the bat, on the slower tracks he has mostly struggled.

I don't rate Moeen Ali highly in international cricket but that doesn't warrant the irrational hatred you have towards British Pakistanis.

He did alright in the IPL this season and I would say he played a major role in CSK's IPL final win.

CSK scored 192 off their 20 overs at a strike rate of precisely 160. Moeen Ali was unbeaten on 37 runs which were scored at a strike rate of 185.

Did you know Eoin Morgan averaged 11.08 from his 16 innings (at less than run a ball) in this IPL season?

You have to be a muppet of some sort to think Moeen Ali was the least deserving English player to win IPL.

Moen did well for CSK this year and Csk management knows how to manage their players majority of the time, esp medium pacers and spinners.

Last edited:
I spoke to Moeens brother back in late May, and its interesting that he said he really liked Kohlis Captaincy and enjoyed playing under him and he said really enjoyed playing under Dhoni and talked about his approach to using spinners and how it was different from other captains.

So he basically liked both?

44* (20) For Moeen Ali in wqarm-up vs India in the WT20

CSK is probably the most suitable franchise for him. He has the license, opportunity. He will be more valuable in India on Chennai grounds. He will have a couple more seasons with CSK for sure.

Moeen Ali V2.0 after retirement

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2 for 17 is Moeen Ali's most economical 4-over spell in T20Is. Previous best was 1 for 19 versus Pakistan at Old Trafford in July <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/T20WorldCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#T20WorldCup</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvWI?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvWI</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1451920419632594949?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 23, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back