[VIDEOS] Moeen Ali retires from International cricket [Update at Post#258]

CSK is probably the most suitable franchise for him. He has the license, opportunity. He will be more valuable in India on Chennai grounds. He will have a couple more seasons with CSK for sure.

Lovely pic, glad he was part of the CSK family.

I think he as settled in very well with CSK. Will likely play there for 3 more years. Assuming he will be retained and not let into the mega auction coming up.

Moeen Ali | Player of the Match vs West Indies:

It was always nice to catch one like that, I saw CJ running and thought about leaving it to him as he's so fast and great in the field, but then it was on my side and I stuck my hands out. It gives you confidence, my first over was nice until that six, but yes it does give you confidence. It helps with so many left handers in their team, but I have been bowling alright in the nets, quite confident and as I have been playing cricket, I was not that nervous. The role in that team (CSK) is really good for me, I felt comfortable and involved with both bat and ball, it is great to be playing those big games like the semifinals and finals and then coming to the World Cup.

Supah! Super Mo! Supah! Super Mo! - The song we sing in the Edgbaston stands and beyond :amla

England cricketers who are a part of the Ashes 2021-22 assignment in Australia aren't the only ones going through an awkward period. While Joe Root & Co. continue to endure a torrid run Down Under, ex-England Test cricketers like Moeen Ali and Alastair Cook have been launching barbs at each other in the BT Sport studio.

After the duo's heated discussion over England captaincy a couple of days ago saw Moeen rate his time under Joe Root over his days under Alastair Cook, another debate triggered in the studio on Friday.

The fresh dig from Moeen came when England's current coaching scenario was being discussed. As he and Cook discussed who could be a good coach for the England team, Moeen said that some people just don't have the empathy to take on the coaching job, while pointing towards his former skipper and fellow pundit.

On being asked if he felt any members of the current national team were good enough to take coaching roles in the future, Moeen said: "Yeah I think so, there are a couple of guys who could potentially be a good coach, somebody who could go that way."

Ali then gestured towards Cook and added: "But there are also some guys who you think coaching's not for them. He hasn't got the patience for it, the empathy for it."

Cook took the jibe in a sporting way and produced a burst of awkward laughter as he said: "Just another dig, just another dig!" Ali also seemed to have agreed with Cook's remark.

The duo then went on to discuss the potential of ODI captain Eoin Morgan taking up the coaching role in the future. However, Ali didn't fancy Morgan's chances of going that route.

Earlier on the BT Sport panel for the ongoing Ashes 2021-22, Moeen and Ali had fiercely discussed the current captaincy scenario in the England Test team. Comparing Root and Cook, Moeen had said that the current skipper has a better emotional connection with players.

"Rooty has more of an emotional attachment with the players, he spends more time with the players."

Cook then asked: "Are you just criticising my captaincy?" To which the spin-bowling all-rounder brutally responded: "I am a little bit, yeah."

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...fter-on-air-row-over-england-captaincy/847480

England cricketers who are a part of the Ashes 2021-22 assignment in Australia aren't the only ones going through an awkward period. While Joe Root & Co. continue to endure a torrid run Down Under, ex-England Test cricketers like Moeen Ali and Alastair Cook have been launching barbs at each other in the BT Sport studio.

After the duo's heated discussion over England captaincy a couple of days ago saw Moeen rate his time under Joe Root over his days under Alastair Cook, another debate triggered in the studio on Friday.

The fresh dig from Moeen came when England's current coaching scenario was being discussed. As he and Cook discussed who could be a good coach for the England team, Moeen said that some people just don't have the empathy to take on the coaching job, while pointing towards his former skipper and fellow pundit.

On being asked if he felt any members of the current national team were good enough to take coaching roles in the future, Moeen said: "Yeah I think so, there are a couple of guys who could potentially be a good coach, somebody who could go that way."

Ali then gestured towards Cook and added: "But there are also some guys who you think coaching's not for them. He hasn't got the patience for it, the empathy for it."

Cook took the jibe in a sporting way and produced a burst of awkward laughter as he said: "Just another dig, just another dig!" Ali also seemed to have agreed with Cook's remark.

The duo then went on to discuss the potential of ODI captain Eoin Morgan taking up the coaching role in the future. However, Ali didn't fancy Morgan's chances of going that route.

Earlier on the BT Sport panel for the ongoing Ashes 2021-22, Moeen and Ali had fiercely discussed the current captaincy scenario in the England Test team. Comparing Root and Cook, Moeen had said that the current skipper has a better emotional connection with players.

"Rooty has more of an emotional attachment with the players, he spends more time with the players."

Cook then asked: "Are you just criticising my captaincy?" To which the spin-bowling all-rounder brutally responded: "I am a little bit, yeah."

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...fter-on-air-row-over-england-captaincy/847480

I dont know if these guys are joking or not but it's horrible to watch.

The coverage on BT sports is appalling at times - it seems like they are trying to copy the Australian banter boys.

Moeen seems very laboured when he speaks and quite bitter. He has a lot to say for a pretty average player.

I dont know if these guys are joking or not but it's horrible to watch.

The coverage on BT sports is appalling at times - it seems like they are trying to copy the Australian banter boys.

Moeen seems very laboured when he speaks and quite bitter. He has a lot to say for a pretty average player.

Anyone can see they are joking, there is nothing offensive in Mo’s comments really. It appears asians especially are bitter towards his success being a man of colour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone can see they are joking, there is nothing offensive in Mo’s comments really. It appears asians especially are bitter towards his success being a man of colour.

It sounds like you are a fan just because he is Asian.

His 'analysis' is bottom tier at best, wooden delivery with zero contact.

If he was joking with Cook then it makes it even cringier to watch.

The standards have really fallen in Cricketing coverage if referring to every player by a nickname and making poor attempts at banter are considered analysis.

Agree, it was just banter with a few focal points! Any one that thinks that was bitter needs to explore his innerself.

The standards have really fallen in Cricketing coverage if referring to every player by a nickname and making poor attempts at banter are considered analysis.

I don’t entirely identify as an asian actually only one of folks is from that part of the world so one can potentially look like an even bigger idiot. Am not alone in being able to see it was just banter, I admit his analysis is not the most amazing but he is new to it and does add some value having been part of the dressing room more recently, but clearly some envy the guy and get too easily offended / look for something to whinge about, grow up.

I don’t entirely identify as an asian actually only one of folks is from that part of the world so one can potentially look like an even bigger idiot. Am not alone in being able to see it was just banter, I admit his analysis is not the most amazing but he is new to it and does add some value having been part of the dressing room more recently, but clearly some envy the guy and get too easily offended / look for something to whinge about, grow up.

Nobody is offended lol.

Just saying the coverage is poor and Moeen is a bad analyst.

If you enjoyed the 'banter' thats perfectly fine, people enjoy watching zits get popped on YouTube too. Everyone has their own pleasures and if dull content excites you then so be it.

Stop making it a racial issue though if other people dislike it.

Mo is cringeworthy to listen to. He just doesn’t have the voice and his analysis is poor.

He says ‘umm’ more times than often and there’s somerhing about his accent that makes you go to sleep.

Super dull.

I hope Moeen you enjoyed your holiday.

Time to come out of retirement and take on captain duties, for the test team.

I think Moeen retired too early, all the rest of the team are not all that good either.

Don’t know how much it improved his overall standing of performance in LO cricket.

Scored 31 of 24 today in 2nd T20I.

Boycott was terrible to begin with. So was Bob Willis.

But with practice, they got really good.

Don’t know how much it improved his overall standing of performance in LO cricket.

Scored 31 of 24 today in 2nd T20I.

He had developed a thousand yard stare in Tests and had become lost. It was time for him to move into white ball only. He makes a solid overall contribution including with the ball imo.

England need to move on from the likes of Moeen in 2022. Always has been a bang average cricketer and he will be 35 this year.

England must be going through a genuine talent crisis if they do not have better options than a washed up 35 year old who was never a top player at any point in his career.

England cannot hope to defend their World Cup in 2023 if they are still carrying the likes of Moeen. He is really lucky to still be playing LOIs for England after he almost single-handedly destroyed England’s 2019 World Cup campaign.

He had to be thrown out of the team for them to get their tournament back on track.

Still has alot to offer. Would be a perfect swansong if he could help England defend their world title in India next year and walk away as a double world cup winner.

CHENNAI: Three days ahead of their Indian Premier League (IPL) opener against Kolkata Knight Riders, Chennai Super Kings are caught in a combination deadlock. If the unavailability of Deepak Chahar because of an injury was bound to weaken their attack and affect the composition of the four overseas players, the delay in Moeen Ali's arrival has added to the headache.

The English all-rounder, one of Chennai's stand-out performers in their title-winning campaign last season, is yet to join the team because he hasn't been issued a visa yet. It is understood that a detailed verification is currently underway, which is taking more than the usual time.

"We were expecting Moeen to join us by Monday but because of the delay in issuing a visa, it is not clear when he will leave for Mumbai. He submitted the visa application on February 28, but because of the verification process, there has been a delay. Unless he enters the bubble by Wednesday noon, it won't be possible for him to play against Kolkata," CSK CEO Kasi Viswanathan told The New Indian Express.

If Ali doesn't arrive in time, it will be interesting to see how Chennai go about their combination. Last season, batting at No 3, he provided them with some much-needed aggression in the middle overs, an area that proved to be their biggest undoing in the 2020 season. Though his absence is expected only for the game against Kolkata, it gives Chennai an option to try their other overseas picks.

The unavailability of Chahar for at least the first half of the tournament means they need to strengthen their fast bowling resources and as a result, apart from Dwayne Bravo, Adam Milne looks certain to be in the XI. The Kiwi's pace can be handy in the powerplay as well as in the end overs. Fellow New Zealander Devon Conway is expected to open alongside Ruturaj Gaikwad. Ali's absence also opens the door for Robin Uthappa to slot in at No 3.

The toss-up for the remaining one overseas slot would be between Chris Jordan and Maheesh Theekshana. With Ali unavailable, mystery spinner Theekshana could be a handy option at the Wankhede should MS Dhoni prefer a tweaker to bowl in the powerplay. In that case, one among Tushar Deshpande, KM Asif and Rajvardhan Hangargekar will get a chance. That would give Dhoni four seam bowling options in Bravo, Milne, Shivam Dube and one of the above-mentioned trio with Ravindra Jadeja and Theekshana as spinners.

However, if Chennai wish to strengthen their pace resources further by including Jordan in place of Theekshana, then the highly-rated leg-spinner Prashant Solanki could make his IPL debut.

Last season, one of Chennai's biggest strengths was its batting depth. It allowed the batters to adopt a more aggressive approach. The end result was that they were amongst the highest-scoring teams in the middle-overs, something they will be keen to replicate this season too.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/sp...er-against-kkr-due-to-visa-delay-2433033.html

MA had his visa delayed because of PK connections. This is troubling on so many levels.
No doubt the Indians will come up with some lame excuse regarding his visa.His grandfather was from Pakistan but his grandmother was white English lady.I don’t understand why it has taken a month to issue him the visa.

No doubt the Indians will come up with some lame excuse regarding his visa.His grandfather was from Pakistan but his grandmother was white English lady.I don’t understand why it has taken a month to issue him the visa.

They did the same to Saqib. I want MA to earn the money and after he retires let them have it with both barrels.

Do we know the reason(s) why Moeen has not been issued a visa as of yet?

Do we know the reason(s) why Moeen has not been issued a visa as of yet?

If he got it before don’t know what the hold back is unless someone bought his heritage or religion to their attention or something

Moeen Ali - 48(35) today for CSK v SRH

He still has a lot to offer

He was England’s best player at T20 WC and remains very dynamic in LOI’s, the bloke is still the best spinner in the country but has largely been mistreated in his career. If he wasn’t, I don’t think he would be the worst captaincy option across any format, even in a transitionary capacity; he has the dressing room and inspires his fellow players. Mo is a first ballot England HOF’er and a modern W.G grace for his influence on these shores which will be felt for generations to come.

Looks very mediocre these days.

Runs he's scoring are extremely flukey and his bowling vtirtually non existant as they continuously refuse to trust him with more than 1 over a match.

He shouldn't be batting 3.

IPL 2022: Chennai Super Kings Head Coach Stephen Fleming Hopeful Of Moeen Ali's Recovery From Ankle Injury In Week's Time

IPL 2022: Chennai Super Kings Head Coach Stephen Fleming Hopeful Of Moeen Ali's Recovery From Ankle
The under-pressure Chennai Super Kings is set to miss their senior pro Moeen Ali for a few more upcoming games due to an ankle injury but head coach Stephen Fleming is hopeful the England all-rounder can make a quick recovery in a week's time. The England all-rounder had picked up the injury during a training session on Saturday. He missed Monday's game against Punjab Kings, which CSK lost by 11 runs. He last featured in CSK's three-wicket loss to Gujarat Titans on April 17.

"He rolled his ankle, X-Rays revealed there was no fracture but there is always a recovery period maybe seven days. We are hopeful the recovery will be quick given that there is no fracture," Fleming said at the post-match press conference on Monday.

Ali, who was one of he key members in the CSK side that won the title last season, has struggled with the bat and ball both in the ongoing edition of the league.

While Ali has scored 87 runs at an average of 17.40, including a 48 against Sunrisers, he has gone wicketless so far, conceding 68 runs in the eight overs that he has bowled.

CSK have been marred with injuries this season with pacers Deepak Chahar and Adam Milne already ruled out of the tournament.

On Monday, Ambati Rayudu bruised his hand while fielding in the first innings and needed treatment.

The batter then kept CSK in the chase smashing seven boundaries and six sixes in his 39-ball 78 after the top order failed once again.

"The first check was around the break and his hand was bruising. It was just a case of icing that and getting that down and I think a little padding around the glove.

"It was the same hand that was broken sometime back, so it's still pretty tender and a knock like that can obviously cause some damage," Fleming said.

The New Zealander defended the decision to send the out-of-form Ravindra Jadeja ahead of the MS Dhoni, who scripted a memorable three-wicket victory against Mumbai Indians in the previous game. The veteran wicketkeeper batter had hit a six and two fours in the final over to seal the match in CSK's favour.

"We lost the wicket in the 12th (13th) over, pretty close to when we've seen MS Dhoni come in in the last 13 years, but today it was in the 12th over.

Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com
"We had this discussion a lot, MS' best time is from about 15 overs onwards and Jadeja has played some good innings for us from the stage and we don't throw that out based on 1-2 games." When asked if U-19 World Cup star Rajvardhan Hangargekar will be give a chance this season given CSK's depleted bowling unit, Fleming said "at some stage, but we have to be careful I know he's performed really well at the U-19 level but this (IPL) is a step up." "We are very conscious of the skills that he needs, we don't want to throw him and do damage, we want make sure we realise that potential he's got.

"He is on an excellent program with us and has made big gains already and if the opportunity arrives this season we will use him."

https://sports.ndtv.com/ipl-2022/in...overy-from-ankle-injury-in-weeks-time-2920344

Moeen Ali after taking 3/13 in 4 overs for CSK

Any win at the moment is great for us. To win against a great side gives us a lot of confidence going forward. I think we got a great score, we missed out on a few at the end, we were probably looking at 210-215, happy to have gotten over the 200 mark. We knew it would be a good score with the spinners we’ve got. We just stayed in the moment, in the present and got some nice shots in the end. I hurt my ankle a bit so had to change my action a bit, but it was probably for the best. My primary thing is to spin it as much as I can, the wickets are gripping a bit now. We have an amazing fanbase, playing for CSK is amazing because I didn’t realize how big (the fanbase) was before I came here, but it is a massive, massive franchise and the fanbase is unbelievable.

Moeen 21(17) today

and

IvMBnzv.png

Second fastest 50 by a CSK player for Moeen Ali

93 off 57 - excellent knock

His fifty inside powerplay was excellent.. after that he only scored 34 on 36 balls.. btw can't really blame him he didn't get much strike after that and they lost 3 quick wicket..

Moeen Ali saved his best for last at the IPL season, producing a performance that gave Chennai Super Kings something to cheer despite a loss in their final regular-season match against Rajasthan Royals.

The England all-rounder lit up the Powerplay, hitting six boundaries in a row off one single Trent Boult over, before falling just short of a century.

Ali’s 57-ball 93 was the sole high point with the bat for Chennai, and he followed it up with fine figures of 1/21 from four overs as well as taking a decent slip catch to remove compatriot Jos Buttler early on.

The final flourish carried on a form revival from the England all-rounder, whose slow start to the IPL campaign would have been a concern to his national selectors.

But the world’s third-highest ranked all-rounder finishes his 2022 IPL campaign with 244 runs to his name at a respectable strike rate of 137.85.

And with the ball Moeen continues to return extremely useful figures. He finishes the IPL with eight wickets to his name and an impressive economy rate of just 6.62. Of the bowlers to have bowled at least as many as his 23.5 tournament overs, only the heralded Sunil Narine and Mohsin Khan possess lower economies.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2619997

Moeen Ali has told Brendon McCullum he is willing to come out of Test retirement to help England’s new head coach rebuild their red-ball fortunes – and he could be joined by his close friend and fellow spinner Adil Rashid.

McCullum wants to assemble a squad of cricketers to ‘dominate at the top’, and has singled out both men, along with Jos Buttler and Liam Livingstone, as players who can lend strength in depth in all conditions to England’s Test squad.

Ali, who has taken 195 wickets with his off-breaks and scored 2,914 runs in 64 Tests, retired from the format in September, citing a lack of motivation. He also felt he was misused at times by former captain Joe Root. But The Mail on Sunday understands he has already spoken to McCullum about his future.

A source said: ‘He respects Brendon immensely and would play for him. He’s always been committed to England and wishes to continue. He will assist when required.’

With England due to play three Tests in Pakistan this winter, McCullum – whose first task is to beat his compatriots New Zealand in a three-match series starting at Lord’s on Thursday – will want as many spin-bowling options as possible.

Ali may also come into the reckoning against South Africa in August. On their last visit here four years ago, he scored 252 runs and took 25 wickets at 15, including a hat-trick at The Oval.

When it was put to him that Ali had retired from Test cricket, McCullum replied: ‘We’ll see. I’m sure if Mo wanted to, and was prepared to put the yards in to make it back into the side, then he’d challenge, no doubt.’

Leg-spinner Rashid’s situation is more complicated. Like Ali, he fell out of love with Test cricket during Root’s reign, and hasn’t played a first-class match of any kind – including for Yorkshire – since the Bridgetown Test of January 2019.

It doesn’t help that there are few chances coming up to prove he can still bowl long spells with the red ball. Between now and September, the only four-day county match that doesn’t clash with Rashid’s white-ball commitments with England is against Hampshire, starting on June 12.

Despite that, a long-standing shoulder problem is now in the past, and he is said to be enthusiastic about the thought of forming part of McCullum’s dynamic set-up – assuming he can get enough first-class cricket under his belt.

All seven of his four-wicket hauls in Test matches have come in Asia, which brings the Pakistan tour into sharper focus. He is 34 – the same age as Ali – but is said to be nowhere near contemplating retirement.

‘I’m not sure someone like Adil would play every game every year anyway,’ said McCullum. ‘But my mentality is, if they’re the best cricketers, why not have conversation and see where you get to?’

The same applies to Buttler, who has been the star of this year’s IPL, scoring four hundreds for Rajasthan Royals, and Livingstone, who is yet to win a Test cap but whose powerful white-ball striking has caught the new coach’s eye.

Dropped for the recent tour of the Caribbean after a disappointing Ashes, Buttler has looked in danger of turning his back on Test cricket altogether. But he has strong advocates in Ben Stokes, England’s new captain, and McCullum himself, who both believe he can add to his 57 Test appearances.

‘He’s one of those players you look at instantly and think: “How could he be so dominant in one form of the game and not quite have found his feet, other than a few fleeting performances, in Test cricket?”’ said McCullum.

‘I look at all of those guys and think there’ll be a time where they may get an opportunity if they’re invested enough. There’s probably been a bit of hurt at times for them, because they’ve been in and out of the team and there hasn’t been that persistence for them.

‘They have all played international cricket before, been successful in the other forms of the game and you’d think they’d be able to transition across. If you’ve got some of these other guys wanting to play, banging the door down with their own performances, then you’ve got a team who can dominate at the top.’

As for Livingstone, who lit up the 2021 summer with his pavilion-clearing sixes, McCullum said: ‘A conversation needs to be had about what his appetite for Test cricket is. And if he is keen on playing, then how does he see himself getting into the side?

‘I don’t have any pre-conceived thoughts about whether he’s good enough or not. I just look at him and think he’s a very good cricketer, and think it’s worth having a conversation.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...on-McCullum-willing-come-Test-retirement.html

Moeen Ali has told Brendon McCullum he is willing to come out of Test retirement to help England’s new head coach rebuild their red-ball fortunes – and he could be joined by his close friend and fellow spinner Adil Rashid.

McCullum wants to assemble a squad of cricketers to ‘dominate at the top’, and has singled out both men, along with Jos Buttler and Liam Livingstone, as players who can lend strength in depth in all conditions to England’s Test squad.

Ali, who has taken 195 wickets with his off-breaks and scored 2,914 runs in 64 Tests, retired from the format in September, citing a lack of motivation. He also felt he was misused at times by former captain Joe Root. But The Mail on Sunday understands he has already spoken to McCullum about his future.

A source said: ‘He respects Brendon immensely and would play for him. He’s always been committed to England and wishes to continue. He will assist when required.’

With England due to play three Tests in Pakistan this winter, McCullum – whose first task is to beat his compatriots New Zealand in a three-match series starting at Lord’s on Thursday – will want as many spin-bowling options as possible.

Ali may also come into the reckoning against South Africa in August. On their last visit here four years ago, he scored 252 runs and took 25 wickets at 15, including a hat-trick at The Oval.

When it was put to him that Ali had retired from Test cricket, McCullum replied: ‘We’ll see. I’m sure if Mo wanted to, and was prepared to put the yards in to make it back into the side, then he’d challenge, no doubt.’

Leg-spinner Rashid’s situation is more complicated. Like Ali, he fell out of love with Test cricket during Root’s reign, and hasn’t played a first-class match of any kind – including for Yorkshire – since the Bridgetown Test of January 2019.

It doesn’t help that there are few chances coming up to prove he can still bowl long spells with the red ball. Between now and September, the only four-day county match that doesn’t clash with Rashid’s white-ball commitments with England is against Hampshire, starting on June 12.

Despite that, a long-standing shoulder problem is now in the past, and he is said to be enthusiastic about the thought of forming part of McCullum’s dynamic set-up – assuming he can get enough first-class cricket under his belt.

All seven of his four-wicket hauls in Test matches have come in Asia, which brings the Pakistan tour into sharper focus. He is 34 – the same age as Ali – but is said to be nowhere near contemplating retirement.

‘I’m not sure someone like Adil would play every game every year anyway,’ said McCullum. ‘But my mentality is, if they’re the best cricketers, why not have conversation and see where you get to?’

The same applies to Buttler, who has been the star of this year’s IPL, scoring four hundreds for Rajasthan Royals, and Livingstone, who is yet to win a Test cap but whose powerful white-ball striking has caught the new coach’s eye.

Dropped for the recent tour of the Caribbean after a disappointing Ashes, Buttler has looked in danger of turning his back on Test cricket altogether. But he has strong advocates in Ben Stokes, England’s new captain, and McCullum himself, who both believe he can add to his 57 Test appearances.

‘He’s one of those players you look at instantly and think: “How could he be so dominant in one form of the game and not quite have found his feet, other than a few fleeting performances, in Test cricket?”’ said McCullum.

‘I look at all of those guys and think there’ll be a time where they may get an opportunity if they’re invested enough. There’s probably been a bit of hurt at times for them, because they’ve been in and out of the team and there hasn’t been that persistence for them.

‘They have all played international cricket before, been successful in the other forms of the game and you’d think they’d be able to transition across. If you’ve got some of these other guys wanting to play, banging the door down with their own performances, then you’ve got a team who can dominate at the top.’

As for Livingstone, who lit up the 2021 summer with his pavilion-clearing sixes, McCullum said: ‘A conversation needs to be had about what his appetite for Test cricket is. And if he is keen on playing, then how does he see himself getting into the side?

‘I don’t have any pre-conceived thoughts about whether he’s good enough or not. I just look at him and think he’s a very good cricketer, and think it’s worth having a conversation.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...on-McCullum-willing-come-Test-retirement.html

This is rather telling.

More things starting to be exposed now that Root and Silverwood are out.

They may have been even worse leaders, selectors and man managers than we had previously feared.

This is rather telling.

They may have been even worse leaders, selectors and man managers than we had previously feared.

Why are we assuming that Root and Silverwood were the problem and not a bang average player like Mooen?

England should move on and select a proper spinner.

Moeen is always complaining when he fails - he's either batting too high or too low and complains he doesn't know his role as a bowler.

He's had a decent enough career but he's already thrown in the towel once in test cricket. It's unlikely that giving him a second chance at 34 years old is going to result in anything spectacular. He'll probably throw in the towel again.

This is rather telling.

I think you are right. Moeen did pretty well under Chef. But Root had little idea how to use his bowlers, and Silverwood was embarrassingly out of his depth.

Dude averaged 50 with the ball when India toured last year and we were supposed to be his bunnies. Not sure what 35 year old Moeen adds to this team. He should just play franchise cricket.

Although him and Adil deciding to reconsider their test retirements is intriguing to say the least in terms of why did they decide to retire in the first place during Silverwood and Root era.

But I still think Dom Bess and Matt Parkinson are better options to invest in for Tests.

Why are we assuming that Root and Silverwood were the problem and not a bang average player like Mooen?

Because underneath English cricket’s very own Laurel & Hardy, Moeen was consistently misused, mismanaged, played out of position, not given a proper role, recalled then dropped straight away regardless of performance, and then abruptly picked again (and dropped again).

I think you are right. Moeen did pretty well under Chef. But Root had little idea how to use his bowlers, and Silverwood was embarrassingly out of his depth.

The true horrors and extraordinary gross incompetence of the Silverwood era has not fully come out yet. But details are now starting to emerge!

I don’t blame Root as much because he is (sorry to say) quite a weak leader and a timid personality, so he will have just defaulted to Silverwood’s decision making on contentious issues.

Silverwood was a truly appalling appointment and I have no idea how or why he was selected for that role.

The true horrors and extraordinary gross incompetence of the Silverwood era has not fully come out yet. But details are now starting to emerge!

I don’t blame Root as much because he is (sorry to say) quite a weak leader and a timid personality, so he will have just defaulted to Silverwood’s decision making on contentious issues.

Silverwood was a truly appalling appointment and I have no idea how or why he was selected for that role.

Actually if I think about it, dots can easily be connected. Adil Rashid was selected by Ed Smith in 2018 summer against India, Silverwood was the bowling coach and Root the captain. Adil was heavily criticized back then for signing a white ball only contract at Yorkshire.
Back in 2019 Ashes, Moeen played the first test after which he was dropped altogether from the squad for quite some time.
Then in 2021 series in India, Root said Moeen has chosen to go home during the series which was his pre scheduled leave by selection panel for workload management/bubble fatigue.
So I am guessing these two haven't had much positive feelings towards both Silverwood and Root. Morgan's a one man army in LOIs so they have been looked after well there.

I think the bigger culprit in all the saga that regularly goes under the radar has been Ashley Giles. He consistently lent excessive power to the coach and the captain. He even removed the selection panel.

If I remember correctly, Giles was the acting head coach of England till their tumultuous 2014 wt20 campaign where they lost to Netherlands.

We both agree what impact Anushka has had on Virat so the point is there can be external factors which can affect how a player performs.

Even though I don't rate Moeen Ali and find his cheerleaders on here (Bilal and Shaz etc) nauseating, we need to look at the bigger picture.

Curiously, our Beard averages 35 with the bat (5 centuries) under Cook and 20 with the bat (no centuries) under Root.

His bowling average is around 36 under both skippers.

Curiously, our Beard averages 35 with the bat (5 centuries) under Cook and 20 with the bat (no centuries) under Root.

His bowling average is around 36 under both skippers.

The serial whiner was also having a go at Cooks captaincy during the BT Sports Ashes coverage. It was later termed as 'banter' but clearly wasn't.

The only captains he doesnt whine about are Morgan and Dhoni. Perhaps he just prefers LOI cricket.

The serial whiner was also having a go at Cooks captaincy during the BT Sports Ashes coverage. It was later termed as 'banter' but clearly wasn't.

The only captains he doesnt whine about are Morgan and Dhoni. Perhaps he just prefers LOI cricket.

I do recall that convo with Chef. Something about going up and down the order so he couldn't settle in his role. I think he should always have been #7 batter and #1 spinner.

Bro you take a harsh line on Moeen, from what I can garner he seems a decent enough guy and he has done a lot of good for English cricket and British Asian players in the UK.

Bro you take a harsh line on Moeen, from what I can garner he seems a decent enough guy and he has done a lot of good for English cricket and British Asian players in the UK.

Im genuinely a fan! He's broken down many barriers and his contribution to english cricket extend beyond his on field performance. He has my respect for this alone.

What I don't like is how things never really seem to be his fault and he always hints at being mistreated when on the contrary he has been given a rather long run. This is despite his woakes-esque test match performances away from him and perhaps statistically having one of the worst LOI numbers in English cricket.

Im genuinely a fan! He's broken down many barriers and his contribution to english cricket extend beyond his on field performance. He has my respect for this alone.

What I don't like is how things never really seem to be his fault and he always hints at being mistreated when on the contrary he has been given a rather long run. This is despite his woakes-esque test match performances away from him and perhaps statistically having one of the worst LOI numbers in English cricket.

Ok :) understood.

Mo’s biggest problem has been he’s too nice, some morons keep saying he complains but the guy has done whatever role the team asked of him, there has been very little stability with his role and the team kept crawling back to him when the alternatives were no better, the guy was treated like crap even after being the leading wicket taker in Tests for a calendar year, he has been impactful at home and done a good job in T20I’s especially on the LOI side. He is a bloke who needs good leadership and management, at 34 he can make a comeback with the right support especially when other options are not exactly world beaters and am not even looking at first choice but also 2nd and third, it’s good for Brendan to keep his options open, thankfully he doesn’t let any identity issues get in the way of logic and reason like a typical nonce.

Moeen Ali seems to be the Hardik Pandya of England :)) Some of his fans seem to believe he is the Botham, England lost.

Moeen Ali has been made an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours. The full West Midlands list can today be unveiled.

The Brummie cricketer was part of the England team that won 2019's World Cup and has been made an OBE for services to cricket. Ali is joined by ITV broadcasting legend Bob Warman who was acknowledged with an MBE for his services to broadcasting and journalism.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/moeen-ali-made-obe-queens-24120392

Congratulations to Moeen on his OBE.

Richly deserved.

There is still a place for him in England’s Test team if he wants to give it a go. He would be solid competition to Leach as the spinner and would bolster our lower order batting.

England all-rounder Moeen Ali has insisted his recognition in the Queen's Birthday Honours List is about far more than "runs and wickets". When sportsmen or women are named in one of the British and Commonwealth honours lists presided over by Queen Elizabeth II, who is celebrating her Platinum Jubilee this week, it is usually largely in recognition of a successful on-field career.

And while the 34-year-old Moeen, who on Wednesday was named an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE), has made 225 appearances for England in all formats during a 16-year professional career, the dashing Worcestershire batsman and off-spinner has also been a trailblazer for the Asian community in Britain.

A Birmingham-born cricketer of Pakistani heritage, Moeen has rarely been shy of proclaiming his Muslim faith in a sport that has faced repeated allegations of discrimination.

And while Moeen's cricket achievements include a Test hat-trick and a World Cup winner's medal, he said the OBE was a proud moment for his father Munir and mother Maqsood as well.

"It's an honour to be recognised, it's amazing and my family are really proud and happy," said Moeen. "More than anything, I know it makes my parents happy.

"It's not about runs and wickets. I think it's more about the journey I've been through and all that kind of stuff, I guess. It's my background, my upbringing and all that. All those kinds of things I've been through throughout my life."

But Moeen, for whom the OBE was "almost the icing on the cake", has not always been comfortable with being viewed as an ambassador for Britain's Asian population.

"From the word 'go', as soon as I played for England, people labelled me as being a potential role model or role model," he said. "It is a big responsibility...But as time has gone on, you kind of accept it and deal with it a lot better."

Moeen, who retired from Test cricket in September, added: "You have to accept it and realise you are probably a role model even though you don't like saying it too much.

"You do inspire a lot of people, especially from the inner city and the people that can relate to you.

"I don't like that term role model, to a certain extent, but I know my role and what I need to do."

NDTV

Moeen Ali 'would love' to play for Brendon McCullum & Ben Stokes

Moeen Ali says he "would love" to play under new England Test coach Brendon McCullum and captain Ben Stokes.

All-rounder Moeen, 34, retired from Test cricket in September after winning 64 caps.

When he was given an OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours last week, he said the "door is open" for a Test return.

Speaking to Test Match Special on Saturday, Moeen said: "There's a possibility. I'm a big one for never say never. We'll see what happens."

Only two spinners - Derek Underwood and Graeme Swann - have taken more wickets in Tests for England than Moeen's 195.

The left-hander also scored five centuries in a seven-year Test career that began in 2014.

When Moeen retired, Chris Silverwood and Joe Root were England's coach and captain respectively, with McCullum and Stokes forming a new leadership team this summer.

Moeen said: "Brendon got the job and he messaged me the day after, during the IPL, and said 'are you in?'

"He said he would call me at the weekend. So we spoke and he said 'in the future if we need you, if there are injuries or a tour in the subcontinent etc, are you keen to play?'

"He's a very difficult person to say no to and I found that very, very hard. He's very convincing.

"To be honest, I'd love to play under him and Stokesy. Both of them have that character about them. They're very aggressive. I think I would suit their cricket a bit more and I think they feel I would suit them as well."

Moeen, who is continuing to play white-ball cricket for England, was part of the same Royal Challengers Bangalore squad as McCullum in the 2018 season of the Indian Premier League.

"I said to Brendon the door is never always closed if your country needs you, or guys are injured or your team needs you for balance," added Moeen.

"So, yeah, I'm keen."

England are due to tour Pakistan for the first time in 17 years this winter.

They will play seven Twenty20s in September and October, before returning for three Tests in December.

Moeen, whose family originate from Pakistan, would be an asset to England in a Test series where spin is likely to play a big part.

"We've not been there for many, many years. It would be a great tour to be part of, for sure," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/61687179

Moeen Ali has made it clear he would reverse his Test retirement to tour Pakistan later this year.

Moeen called time on his Test career last September after 64 caps over seven years, but revealed in an interview with the PA news agency and The Guardian earlier this month that “the door was open” to a U-turn.

This winter’s trip to Pakistan always seemed the most attractive option for the 34-year-old all-rounder, given his family’s links to the country and England’s likely need for additional spin bowling options, and he confirmed as much during a guest commentary stint on BBC’s Test Match Special.

“When, or if, (England head coach) Baz McCullum wants me, I’ll definitely play in Pakistan,” he said.

“I have played Pakistan Super League out there a few years ago but it’s not the same, to travel with an England side there having family background from that part of the world will be amazing. It would be a historic event because of England not touring there for so many years.

“I know the support and love you can get out there, they love cricket. It’s really something that’s very appealing for sure.”

Moeen made it clear that the appointment of McCullum, who made reaching out to both him and fellow spinner Adil Rashid one of his first priorities despite their absence from the red-ball set-up, was a decisive factor in changing his outlook.

“I find it very hard to say no to him. He scares me a little bit. We’re going to have a chat and see how it pans out,” he said.

“He is a very difficult person to say no to. I find that very, very hard. He is very convincing and to be honest I would love to play under him and Ben Stokes. They are both very aggressive and I think I would suit their cricket a bit more.

“At the time I said I was retired I felt like I was done. I felt really tired with cricket.”

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2022/...ely-play-test-cricket-for-england-in-pakistan

That Leach guy is an awful bowler. Moeen surely can't be any worse than him. He needs to be back in the test team.

Now genuinely becoming quite worried about what Chris Silverwood got up to during his time as coach given that two spin bowlers of Asian origin quit Test cricket under him, but they now instantly want to come back to play for Brendon.

That Leach guy is an awful bowler. Moeen surely can't be any worse than him. He needs to be back in the test team.

Bit of a disrespectfully toned remark imo.
“That Leach guy” has served England quite well with bat and ball during his stint.

Now genuinely becoming quite worried about what Chris Silverwood got up to during his time as coach given that two spin bowlers of Asian origin quit Test cricket under him, but they now instantly want to come back to play for Brendon.

Hmmmm.

Actually that Leach guy has a better test bowling average than Moeen.

However the Beard has five test hundreds and would stiffen our very weak tail.

Speaking on radio today....

"I spoke to McCullum this morning, and we did discuss Pakistan this winter. The door is always open, and yeah, I suppose I am officially unretired," Mooen Ali

What are you insinuating here? Silverwood was racist?

BTW, Moeen on TMS is a bore. Every other word is ‘ummm’.

What are you insinuating here? Silverwood was racist?

No that’s a strong charge, but maybe there needs to be some reflection and consideration of how he managed his spin bowlers of Asian origin.

If Moeen for example will agree to come out of retirement after one phone call from the new Head Coach, perhaps he never really wanted to give up Test cricket in the first place and felt as if his hand had been forced.

No that’s a strong charge, but maybe there needs to be some reflection and consideration of how he managed his spin bowlers of Asian origin.

If Moeen for example will agree to come out of retirement after one phone call from the new Head Coach, perhaps he never really wanted to give up Test cricket in the first place and felt as if his hand had been forced.

IPL forced Moeen’s hand.

From a purely cricketing perspective Moeen will get smashed in Pakistan. The strategy when England played in the UAE was to block out Jimmy/Broad and smash Mo and Rash.

Pakistan struggle against left arm spin so it may be a shout to try Leach although he has been underwhelming recently.

From a marketing perspective the selection of Mo could create a bit of a buzz, but I doubt it will have the same vibes as when Khawaja came to Pak.

In light of a tweet that I just read, another way of looking at this is that it’s not fair on the younger and less experienced English spin bowlers who are hoping to visit Pakistan (and other countries) if Moeen Ali can get random phone calls & just retire and unretire himself for selective tours.

From a purely cricketing perspective Moeen will get smashed in Pakistan. The strategy when England played in the UAE was to block out Jimmy/Broad and smash Mo and Rash.

Pakistan struggle against left arm spin so it may be a shout to try Leach although he has been underwhelming recently.

From a marketing perspective the selection of Mo could create a bit of a buzz, but I doubt it will have the same vibes as when Khawaja came to Pak.

He won’t get smashed because Pakistani batsmen don’t know how to smash. He might get tuk tukked to death tho.

England need Moeen because all the replacements have been woefully inadequate. Leach - great trier but this is not his level.

Moeen may not fare much better but as a cricketer he gives England a lot more.

Happy Birthday to Moeen Ali

Born: June 18, 1987 (age 35 years), Birmingham, United Kingdom

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Happy birthday Mo! 🎂 <a href="https://t.co/SUuyvAoOqC">pic.twitter.com/SUuyvAoOqC</a></p>— England Cricket (@englandcricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/englandcricket/status/1538053987936653312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 18, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Moeen in on the action &#55358;&#56617;<br><br>Things we love to see! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Blast22?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Blast22</a> <a href="https://t.co/7s4kIdiRrj">pic.twitter.com/7s4kIdiRrj</a></p>— Vitality Blast (@VitalityBlast) <a href="https://twitter.com/VitalityBlast/status/1540402017314775042?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 24, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not surprised Moeen's back. Not sure if Root/Silverwood's handling of Moeen was racist in any nature - we have nothing to believe that. But from what we saw on their tour to India, how every other player who went on a break from bubble was supported, yet Moeen was made the bad guy by Silverwood/Root's toned comments (they later apologised).

I am sure no one, especially of Moeen's stature and experience wants to go through that ** at this stage of their career.

On the flip side I think McCullum's move isn't taking England cricket forward though. Unless he's already identified Moeen/Rashid's successors and wants them to gradually get into the scheme of things with the duo around for a bit, this is a stop-gap solution.

Worcestershire County Cricket Club can confirm that Moeen Ali will depart the Club when his contract expires at the end of this summer.
The all-rounder joined the Pears in September of 2006 and went on to play nearly 350 games across all formats, scoring over 13,000 runs, taking over 300 wickets, winning three trophies in his time at the Club.
He made his last appearance in Worcestershire's final Vitality Blast fixture of the 2022 season at New Road against Notts Outlaws on 3 July.
35-year-old Moeen was a regular for Worcestershire across all formats until he made his England debut and became centrally contracted. England commitments, and the Covid pandemic, meant his availability was heavily limited for the Pears over the past three years.

His first major trophy-winning success came in his second season with the county, playing his part in the Club's NatWest Pro40 title win.
Red-ball success followed immediately with promotion in 2008 and then bouncing straight back to Division One in 2010. Moeen was also part of the promotion-winning side in 2017.

Arguably though, Moeen's finest memory in Worcestershire colours came more recently, when leading the Rapids to a first Vitality Blast title in 2018. The following year saw more white-ball success, with the Rapids, agonisingly, being one ball away from becoming the first Club to achieve back-to-back T20 titles.

Moeen will always be remembered as an inspirational leader who has played an enormous part in the Club over his 16 years at New Road.

Moeen Ali commented, “I’m sad to be leaving Worcestershire after so long and have loved every minute of it.

“I’ve played with some amazing people and owe a huge thanks to the Club for bringing me here and giving me the platform to perform.

“I now feel it’s time to go back to Birmingham for the back end of my career, but I will always love Worcestershire.

“I hope I made the fans proud. Thank you”

Cricket Steering Group Chair Paul Pridgeon commented, "It's disappointing to lose a player of Moeen's calibre, but we have expected it could possibly happen for some time.

“Mo was a big part of the dressing room and had made enormous contributions on and off the field for a long time.

“He will be remembered as an iconic Worcestershire player and will always be welcome at New Road.

“We wish him all the very best.”

Head Coach Alex Gidman added, "It's been an absolute pleasure to work alongside Mo in a coach and captain relationship for the last four years.

“The Vitality Blast victory in 2018 and coming so close to retaining in 2019 will live long in my memory as a memorable part of the early days of my coaching career.

"It's extremely sad to see him move on, but we wish him all the best for the future."

Back