[VIDEOS] Moeen Ali retires from International cricket [Update at Post#258]

England offspinner-allrounder Moeen Ali, during an interview with a sports channel, said:

"Test cricket is the best. I love playing Test cricket. It is the best format of the game. When I first retired, I was a bit down. I finished not playing so well. [Brendon] McCullum and Stokes gave me this opportunity, which I couldn't turn down. It was the Ashes at home. I finished Test cricket with such great memories, such a high. I just absolutely loved it. I batted three, bowled spin."

"I feel like they are changing the face of cricket. I know they are 2-1 down in India [this interview was conducted on February 24] but they have played unbelievably. They have taken to India on difficult wickets. I love that about Bazball. There's always a chance. The belief is there. India are also playing really well. They are also taking the game on. Look at the way [Yashasvi] Jaiswal is playing. He is doing unbelievably well."

"It is the way the game needs to go for people to watch. Like ODI cricket changed, Test cricket also has to change. There's still time for proper Test match batting, but it needs to get forward. This is what Bazball is doing."

He did okay with the ball in his career.

His batting output has been dismal despite having all the talent, he definitely could have averaged 35+ in test cricket.

England didn’t use him properly and tbh he was never consistent.

England offspinner-allrounder Moeen Ali, during an interview with a sports channel, said:

"Test cricket is the best. I love playing Test cricket. It is the best format of the game. When I first retired, I was a bit down. I finished not playing so well. [Brendon] McCullum and Stokes gave me this opportunity, which I couldn't turn down. It was the Ashes at home. I finished Test cricket with such great memories, such a high. I just absolutely loved it. I batted three, bowled spin."

"I feel like they are changing the face of cricket. I know they are 2-1 down in India [this interview was conducted on February 24] but they have played unbelievably. They have taken to India on difficult wickets. I love that about Bazball. There's always a chance. The belief is there. India are also playing really well. They are also taking the game on. Look at the way [Yashasvi] Jaiswal is playing. He is doing unbelievably well."

"It is the way the game needs to go for people to watch. Like ODI cricket changed, Test cricket also has to change. There's still time for proper Test match batting, but it needs to get forward. This is what Bazball is doing."
Absolute drivel by Moeen.

England have not done any of the things that he is talking about and no, England have not played unbelievably either.

This is exactly the type of delusional nonsense that has made this England team so unlikable and it is so enjoyable when they get hammered.

Moeen Ali playing a classy innings in The Hundred for Birmingham Phoenix against Welsh fire. So far he has made 53(42) and is looking hungry for more while chasing the total of 147.

England have picked five uncapped players for next month's white-ball series against Australia but have left out Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali.

Is it the end of Moeen Ali's T20I career?

England have picked five uncapped players for next month's white-ball series against Australia but have left out Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali.

Is it the end of Moeen Ali's T20I career?
He should have been dropped a couple of years ago , way better T20 players for Eng now. His Eng career is done. Time to play franchise leagues. The entry of Shoaib Bashir in tests has finished his red ball career as well if there was any.

‘I’ve done my part’ – Moeen Ali announces retirement from international cricket

Moeen Ali has announced his retirement from international cricket, with the 37-year-old declaring: “I’ve done my part.”

In an interview with the Daily Mail, the spin bowling all-rounder said the decision comes after he was overlooked for England’s forthcoming white-ball series against Australia.

He told the paper: “I’m 37 years old and didn’t get picked for this month’s Australia series.

“I’ve played a lot of cricket for England. It’s time for the next generation, which was also explained to me.

“It felt the time was right. I’ve done my part.”

Matthew Mott was sacked as head coach of the limited-overs side last month after disappointing title defences in the ODI and T20 World Cups and the appetite for change continued with the removal of Moeen and Jonny Bairstow – two senior men sharing over 400 caps.

Moeen has been an influential vice-captain to Jos Buttler in recent times but has acknowledged in the past that his international career was winding down.

After 68 Tests, 138 ODIs and 92 T20s for England, Moeen said he still feels like he can compete at the highest level, but was “trying to be realistic” about his international future.

“I could hold on and try to play for England again, but I know in reality I won’t,” he told the Mail.

“Even retiring, I don’t feel it’s because I’m not good enough — I still feel I can play. But I get how things are, and the team needs to evolve into another cycle. It’s about being real to myself.”

Reflecting on his international career, Moeen said he was “especially” proud of taking 204 Test wickets, adding: “I’m also proud of getting five Test hundreds.

“It’s only five, but it means a lot, especially when I was often down the order.”

Looking ahead, Moeen said he wants to continue playing franchise cricket, but ultimately hopes to delve into coaching.

“Coaching is something I want to do — I want to be one of the best,” he said.

“I can learn a lot from (England coach Brendon McCullum).

“I hope people remember me as a free spirit. I played some nice shots and some bad shots, but hopefully people enjoyed watching me.”

SOURCE: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...lia-daily-mail-brendon-mccullum-b2608951.html

Best wishes to Moeen. Looking back on his career, he had some great moments in the game but I never understood the the hype around him. He frustrated more than lived up to the hype. He always seemed on the verge of doing something great only to falter at the next moment. He was lucky to have the career he had as many cricketers with better talent than him were cast aside quickly.

I am sure CSK are extremely happy with this news. They will now have him for a full season.

Loved watching him in Tests especially and the series levelling performance in the Ashes was the perfect send off, not to mention his cameo in the WT20 final which killed what should have been a Pakistan win. England should have extracted more from him with a stable role, they preferred the utility however, I think McCullum/Stokes (and Dhoni to some extent as well) understood what to do with him best, though that was a little too late in his career. Having said that, 200+ wickets and 3000+ runs in Tests is no joke and I believe he is an England great, and one of the best spin bowling A/R’s they have ever had, the influence off the pitch can’t be overlooked as he’d have inspired future generations of British Asian cricketers.

Long overdue. Awful, mentally weak player who shouldn’t have played a white ball game after almost single-handedly destroying England’s 2019 World Cup.

If he is an England great then it is not because he was any good but because England have produce zero decent players in his role.

He is more renowned for playing victim and attention-seeking tactics than his contribution on the pitch.

Richard Thompson commented on Moeen Ali announcing his international retirement:

“To play nearly 300 times for England across all three formats, and score the runs and take the wickets Moeen has, is an outstanding achievement. An integral part of two World Cup wins, his record marks him down as one of our finest all-rounders.

“Watching Moeen in full flow with the bat is always a treat, playing with such elegance and hitting the ball so cleanly, while also capable of being a match-winner with the ball. I’ll never forget his Test hat-trick against South Africa to help England win in 2017 in the Oval’s 100th Test.

“He has made a huge contribution on and off the field and whether in captaining or vice-captaining the side, or in the way he has played the game, he has been an inspiration to so many. Thank you Moeen, and best wishes for the future.”

A nice bloke who did an ok job filling a gap in the test side for a while but ended up with far more England caps than he should have.

I pray, that one day, King aka Baber Sooperstar Azam will be influential in winning half as many games for his country as Mo.

Last edited by a moderator:
With this retirement, now, finally, we will witness the overdue rise of Liam Dawson.

With this retirement, now, finally, we will witness the overdue rise of Liam Dawson.
It will be Jacob Bethell. Outstanding young prospect with a far higher ceiling than Moeen.

He will fit into the England white ball teams like a glove, but his bowling needs a lot of refinement before he is ready for Test cricket.

It will be Jacob Bethell. Outstanding young prospect with a far higher ceiling than Moeen.

He will fit into the England white ball teams like a glove, but his bowling needs a lot of refinement before he is ready for Test cricket.

With Stokes and Baz, none of these youngsters will be overlooked, but for Tests Bashir will get a long rope due to his height and stock ball, Hartley has already replaced Leach.

‘I’ve done my part’ – Moeen Ali announces retirement from international cricket

Moeen Ali has announced his retirement from international cricket, with the 37-year-old declaring: “I’ve done my part.”

In an interview with the Daily Mail, the spin bowling all-rounder said the decision comes after he was overlooked for England’s forthcoming white-ball series against Australia.

He told the paper: “I’m 37 years old and didn’t get picked for this month’s Australia series.

“I’ve played a lot of cricket for England. It’s time for the next generation, which was also explained to me.

“It felt the time was right. I’ve done my part.”

Matthew Mott was sacked as head coach of the limited-overs side last month after disappointing title defences in the ODI and T20 World Cups and the appetite for change continued with the removal of Moeen and Jonny Bairstow – two senior men sharing over 400 caps.

Moeen has been an influential vice-captain to Jos Buttler in recent times but has acknowledged in the past that his international career was winding down.

After 68 Tests, 138 ODIs and 92 T20s for England, Moeen said he still feels like he can compete at the highest level, but was “trying to be realistic” about his international future.

“I could hold on and try to play for England again, but I know in reality I won’t,” he told the Mail.

“Even retiring, I don’t feel it’s because I’m not good enough — I still feel I can play. But I get how things are, and the team needs to evolve into another cycle. It’s about being real to myself.”

Reflecting on his international career, Moeen said he was “especially” proud of taking 204 Test wickets, adding: “I’m also proud of getting five Test hundreds.

“It’s only five, but it means a lot, especially when I was often down the order.”

Looking ahead, Moeen said he wants to continue playing franchise cricket, but ultimately hopes to delve into coaching.

“Coaching is something I want to do — I want to be one of the best,” he said.

“I can learn a lot from (England coach Brendon McCullum).

“I hope people remember me as a free spirit. I played some nice shots and some bad shots, but hopefully people enjoyed watching me.”

SOURCE: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...lia-daily-mail-brendon-mccullum-b2608951.html
6EzUxBy.jpg

Moeen Ali, while speaking on Sky Sports during the lunch break on Day 3 of the 3rd Test between England and Sri Lanka, shed light on his decision to retire:

"It has been amazing. Obviously 10 years playing for your country, it is not something you even dream of. One game would have been enough for me."

"To play that many games is outstanding."

"It has been tough along the way. Test cricket is really tough."

"White-ball cricket, that transition under Eoin Morgan was probably the best thing and being part of that journey."

"Then winning two World Cups, an Ashes in 2015 was incredible."

Moeen on the journey with his family:

"Family has played a massive part."

"My parents in particular pushing me as a kid to be the best that I can."

"My dad doing all the hard yards for me and my brothers."

"Then I got married at 21 and my wife sacrificed a lot at the time."

"Being away from home is not easy. The first three years I played for England my son was born and I didn't get to spend much time with him."

Moeen Ali's hat-trick at The Oval:

"For me that was the best picture for me."

"I don't look at those guys too much, it is just the guys celebrating with me."

"It is one of the greatest feelings I have ever had on the field."

"I am not that sort of character, it just came out."

"You see Johnny (Bairstow), Stokesy, all the boys, guys you spend a lot of time with."

"It is an incredible feeling."

Moeen on friendships:

"I feel like it was a great era to play because a lot of fresh faces came in then Broady and Jimmy were still there."

"Sharing the dressing room with Broady, Jimmy, Cooky, for me these were the best players in the world I am playing with."

"The friendships are one of the things I really cherish."

Moeen Ali on his white-ball career:

"In white-ball cricket there is obviously the two World Cups."

"Having been on that journey with the guys."

"I felt like we deserved to win that World Cup (in 2019) and we were destined to win it."

"Then the World Cup in Australia at the same time when Jos (Buttler) had just took over."

"From a personal point of view,m scoring the fastest 50 for England at Bristol was a great feeling."

Moeen Ali on Eoin Morgan:

"Morgs was huge. Morgan was the catalyst of change for mindset for players in this country."

"We always had brilliant players but we needed to change the way we played and the attitude towards batting in particular."

"Just winning games and having a mindset that the Test team really has now."

"I remember there was a time I got out and I was like 'I should have tried to stay in' and Morgs was like 'next time play it out the ground'."

"That was the language he used and how he changed minds."

Moeen on McCullum and Buttler:

"I think Brendon just brings, it helps the fact he has been there, done it, and the way he played."

"I think it can be quite difficult if a coach says 'go do this' but they never did."

"Brendon brings that sort of energy and I think it will be great for Jos more than anything."

"Jos has so much on his plate with batting, keeping, captaining. I think Brendon will just take the pressure off and he can just play and captain on the field."

"Brendon will be more in control I think."

Moeen will look back at his career with both pride and little disappointment. Pride in that he became a gun spinner at home and took 200 wickets in tests, pride in that he was part of teams that won 2 WCs and pride that his team mates rated him so highly. The disappointment will come from his very average batting at test level- he averaged around 33, way below what he should have done. He was good enough to score at least 10 test 100s and average into the late 30s.

Nothing was more beautiful than watching him have a bowl in the 4th innings of a Test with the sun blazing at Edgbaston. The inconsistency you live with because he made up for it through the impact he had and how thrilling he was to watch, very emotional day. If anything, wont ever forget that hat-trick against SA, the legend embodies all we represent in modern Britain. Will miss his song in the grounds. It was fitting we heard it one last time in victory at the Oval.

I am so proud of this guy as a Brummie @KingKhanWC

Former England captain Sir Alastair Cook, speaking on Test Match Special: "When I look back at Mo, he is probably the most selfless player to play for England in terms of he would do anything the team required.

"He batted from one to eight, I think he also batted at nine in one game. He opened the batting in Abu Dhabi, which allowed Adil Rashid to play, he came back in and batted at three in those Ashes under Brendon McCullum as well.

"He would do anything the team required, probably to the hindrance of his batting - you'll remember, when he was picked, he was picked as a batsman who bowled a bit of part-time spin, because we didn't have any other spinners, and we thought he was the best option because he spun it really hard, and we thought four seamers and him as an option was the way to go.

"Mo was a lot tougher than people gave him credit for. Because he was such an elegant stroke player, people didn't really appreciate that in tough moments he was a clutch cricketer as well."

Ex-England spinner Phil Tufnell: "Moeen was a silky smooth batter, and a destructive batter as well. That cover drive, how many times have we seen that? Not really a lot of foot movement, and then just absolute timing.

"Fantastic batsman and he seemed a reluctant spinner, didn't he? But then once he got into it and realised he could really affect the game I think he really started working on it and as Cooky said, he really spun the ball hard. He was one of those guys where you could throw him the ball in the fourth innings and he could do a job - more than a job - beautifully."

Made vice captain, eng bent over backwards for him esp Morgan and stokes. Very limited player especially in his bowling and defensive strokes
If only kabir got the same chances

Bhai was a stylish player but looking back at his career he must be disappointed with those stats. Towards the end he turned into a serial moaner but he also has some big moments in an England jersey. I just think he should have done more.

He'll have my respect for the doors he opened though. He took Asian cricket in the UK many steps forward along with Adil Rashid.

Decent career. He was a poor ODI player but did fairly well in home Test matches and T20Is.

Back