[VIDEOS] Moeen Ali retires from International cricket [Update at Post#258]

Warwickshire County Cricket Club has signed England international all-rounder Moeen Ali on a three-year white-ball contract.

Born in Sparkhill, Birmingham, the 35-year-old is also available for red ball cricket with a pay as you play clause included in his deal.

Ali returns to the Club where he started his professional cricketing journey as a 15-year-old. The left-handed batter and right-arm spinner developed through the Warwickshire Academy and Second XI ranks, striking a half-century on his first-class and County Championship debuts.

In total, Ali made 16 appearances for the Bears, before joining Worcestershire in 2007.

Since being at New Road, Ali has become an international star representing England around the world, whilst also being a regular at the Indian Premier League.

The 2015 Ashes and 2019 ICC men’s Cricket World Cup winner has currently made 228 appearances for England (64 Tests, 119 ODIs and 49 IT20s) scoring 5,470 runs (eight centuries) and taking 318 wickets.

Ali returns to Edgbaston looking to add to those tallies, whilst also captaining Birmingham Phoenix in The Hundred.

Ali said: “I’m delighted to return home to Edgbaston. I was born and raised just a few miles away from the stadium, with my life always centred around Birmingham.

“When the opportunity presented itself, it was a decision I couldn’t say no to and I believe I have unfinished business at the Bears.

“I’m incredibly excited to be back and to play in front of the best atmosphere in world cricket.

“It’s a place that has so much history and players always have memories and stories of playing here. I’m looking forward to contributing and be part of hopefully something special.”

Director of Cricket Paul Farbrace said: “Mo is a huge signing for Warwickshire and a real statement of intent for our ambitions.

“Mo is someone I’ve known for many years and is a leader on and off-the-pitch. The experience he will bring to the Club will be pivotal in our development as a team.

“He says himself that he has unfinished business at Warwickshire and I’m sure the Members and supporters will be excited to see Mo back as a Bear.”

ECB.

Seriously underappreciated!

He was quite dejected after the hammering in the Blast as Worcestershire punching above their weight and lost players

Warwickshire County Cricket Club has signed England international all-rounder Moeen Ali on a three-year white-ball contract.

Born in Sparkhill, Birmingham, the 35-year-old is also available for red ball cricket with a pay as you play clause included in his deal.

Ali returns to the Club where he started his professional cricketing journey as a 15-year-old. The left-handed batter and right-arm spinner developed through the Warwickshire Academy and Second XI ranks, striking a half-century on his first-class and County Championship debuts.

In total, Ali made 16 appearances for the Bears, before joining Worcestershire in 2007.

Since being at New Road, Ali has become an international star representing England around the world, whilst also being a regular at the Indian Premier League.

The 2015 Ashes and 2019 ICC men’s Cricket World Cup winner has currently made 228 appearances for England (64 Tests, 119 ODIs and 49 IT20s) scoring 5,470 runs (eight centuries) and taking 318 wickets.

Ali returns to Edgbaston looking to add to those tallies, whilst also captaining Birmingham Phoenix in The Hundred.

Ali said: “I’m delighted to return home to Edgbaston. I was born and raised just a few miles away from the stadium, with my life always centred around Birmingham.

“When the opportunity presented itself, it was a decision I couldn’t say no to and I believe I have unfinished business at the Bears.

“I’m incredibly excited to be back and to play in front of the best atmosphere in world cricket.

“It’s a place that has so much history and players always have memories and stories of playing here. I’m looking forward to contributing and be part of hopefully something special.”

Director of Cricket Paul Farbrace said: “Mo is a huge signing for Warwickshire and a real statement of intent for our ambitions.

“Mo is someone I’ve known for many years and is a leader on and off-the-pitch. The experience he will bring to the Club will be pivotal in our development as a team.

“He says himself that he has unfinished business at Warwickshire and I’m sure the Members and supporters will be excited to see Mo back as a Bear.”

ECB.

Back where he belongs!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On his 50th IT20 appearance Mo gets the big one!<br><br>Scorecard & Videos: <a href="https://t.co/r1PBlKZPnh">https://t.co/r1PBlKZPnh</a><br><br>&#55356;&#57332;&#56128;&#56423;&#56128;&#56418;&#56128;&#56421;&#56128;&#56430;&#56128;&#56423;&#56128;&#56447; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvIND?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvIND</a> &#55356;&#56814;&#55356;&#56819; <a href="https://t.co/zKISurerGO">pic.twitter.com/zKISurerGO</a></p>— England Cricket (@englandcricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/englandcricket/status/1545094743801085952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 7, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2/26 in 2 overs Moeen - Enjoying himself.

2/26 in 2 overs Moeen - Enjoying himself.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">India finish the Powerplay 66/2.<br><br>Scorecard & Videos: <a href="https://t.co/r1PBlLhqeP">https://t.co/r1PBlLhqeP</a><br><br>&#55356;&#57332;&#56128;&#56423;&#56128;&#56418;&#56128;&#56421;&#56128;&#56430;&#56128;&#56423;&#56128;&#56447; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvIND?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvIND</a> &#55356;&#56814;&#55356;&#56819; <a href="https://t.co/d5ELr4VHCE">pic.twitter.com/d5ELr4VHCE</a></p>— England Cricket (@englandcricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/englandcricket/status/1545098205121040384?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 7, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Played ok today, just a poor team performance.

Golden duck for Moeen Ali.

FXUFr60XwAINTbz

Golden duck for Moeen Ali.

FXUFr60XwAINTbz

9 - This is the ninth time that Moeen Ali has been dismissed for a duck, the joint-most for any England batter alongside Luke Wright in T20Is.

Poor batting

Been tonked with the ball as well

Good fight from Moeen - 37* so far vs India in 2nd ODI

Moeen should have been the new white ball captain for England.

There's no doubt that Butler is the best white ball player in England, arguably the world, but like we saw with Root, a brilliant player doesn't necessarily make a great captain.

Moeen is a better leader and is more likely to lead them to silverware than Butler. Plus it leaves Butler free to be the dangerous player he is.

Moeen Ali is the Vitality IT20 Player of the Summer

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/hz40sc" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Buttler has no faith in Moeen as a bowler. Moeen hasn't completed his quota in majority of games. Today he got 1/4 of 1 and didn't get a bowl again - SA went on to score 191.

Maybe it should be Moeen as captain.

Absolutely should be.

Butler is the MVP limited overs cricketer in the world right now along with Rashid Khan. He should focus solely on his game as he is not a natural leader and certainly not the one for this England team.

Moeen Ali could turn out to be a mystery as he has agreed to be part of the UAE League (ILT20) after already having signed for the CSA League. The England all-rounder, who was earlier named in the Chennai Super Kings-owned Johannesburg team, was on Thursday added to the Sharjah team (Sharjah Warriors). Both leagues will be played simultaneously in January-February 2023.

ILT20 sources have revealed to Cricbuzz that he has agreed to play in the league, which means he cannot be part of the CSA tournament. When contacted, CSK's Kasi Viswanathan expressed surprise. "We just came to know. We will find out from the player," the CEO of Chennai franchise said. Cricbuzz understands that Moeen has had a conversation with the league organisers and agreed to be part of ILT20 whenever he is not playing for England.

Decades after his grandfather left Mirpur in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir for United Kingdom, Moeen Ali is set to lead the England national team on their first visit to Pakistan in 17 years for a seven-match T20I series.

As per reports from The Guardian, the 35-year-old who has been full-time captain Jos Buttler’s chief deputy post Eoin Morgan’s retirement has been tipped off as the number one captaincy candidate for the tour with Buttler out injured and Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow likely to be rested.

The series in Pakistan will be a first for the England men’s team since 2005 as the subsequent contests between the two were hosted by the Pakistan Cricket Board in United Arab Emirates.

It was his discussion with head coach Brendon McCullum earlier this summer about the Pakistan Test tour in December that had made Moeen rethink his decision of retiring from Test cricket last year.

“I spoke to McCullum this morning, and we did discuss Pakistan this winter. The door is always open, and yeah, I suppose I am officially unretired,” he had said.

A visit to the country as the England captain for a T20I series as long as seven games ahead of a T20 World Cup is an even sweeter prospect for Moeen, whose rise to the top of English cricket has been anything but easy.

“My journey in sustaining my sons’ love for the game hasn’t been easy,” Moeen’s father, Munir Ali had told the Indian Express back in 2021. “There have been days when I had just 10 pounds in my pocket and had to spend 9 of it on petrol so that I can take my sons around for games. With the remaining one pound, I would buy bread for the family. My brother also threw everything into the dream. It needs sacrifices from the family to prop up dreams for the little ones.”

“I remember sitting at the ground at Worcester years ago when Moeen walked out to bat. A loud voice shouted, “shave off the beard!”. I had already been hearing some murmurs in the cricketing world about Moeen’s faith. “Even some coaches. They would gently tell you, “look, this is England, think about that beard”. I was worried and went to Moeen, who told me in a clear voice that this was him. That he wasn’t going to bother about the criticism.”

Known as a man of faith and firm in his belief of his religion, Munir told how Moeen faced hurdles early in his career owing to his faith, and how he was able to overcome them because of his faith.

“Once on a developmental tour to India, a coach, who will go unnamed, told him to trim the beard,” he said.

“Moeen told him, “I will leave cricket today but will not leave my belief, and this is my belief. If I play, I will play with what I am. He didn’t play a single match there, I think, and when they asked him at the end of the tour about his learnings, he said, “nothing, just net practice, I could have done it in England.” Everyone else played but he wasn’t played, and he knew it was because of beard.”

Munir further added, “I was worried about his immediate future, but he piled on the performances in county cricket and progressed. That’s the kind of strong character he is. He will shrug this off as well but that doesn’t mean anyone can take a pop at him like this. England cricket has changed for good over the years and everyone loves and respects Moeen.”

https://indianexpress.com/article/s...in-first-tour-of-pakistan-since-2005-8122164/

Sounds like a token gesture because besides Butter bring injured, we taking another B team! Disrespectful and reflects badly on Stokes and Jonny

Moeen Ali speaking in an interview

“It’s very, very, important that we donate not only because it’s Pakistan but because people need our help"

“Obviously our roots are Pakistani so we should try to help them as much as we can and If you do it for Allah you get a lot of rewards. They are our brothers and sisters who are suffering and we will try to help them and most importantly pray for them"

“I’m extremely excited obviously I have played many times against Pakistan but never in Pakistan so it’s going to be amazing not only for me but for my family as well as most of my relatives and friends are from Pakistan. I’m really looking forward to it so is Adil Rashid so it will be a good series. But most importantly England going to Pakistan is a big thing after so many years so it will be a huge honour"

“I really enjoyed my time in Multan as I have never been to Multan before. It’s not only a good wicket but also a brilliant home crowd. All grounds I had played on are good but in Multan, it was really fun"

“For me, it’s a great achievement considering the area of the city where I come from. Obviously, I’m happy that I got this award but more importantly my parents and family are happy too"

“There are some wonderful moments and achievements in my life, obviously OBE is a big thing for me but winning the World Cup was big for the team so were Ashes and being part of the IPL winning team so these are wonderful memories"

“Whatever they want to do in life work hard on it as nothing can beat hard work. But do have a vision of what you want to do in life and just go for it. Nothing can stop you as long as you give everything. Have good intentions and all these things will fall in one place"

Moeen closes the door on England test return

Oct 4 (Reuters) - England all-rounder Moeen Ali said he has closed the door on a return to test cricket after having an "honest" conversation with coach Brendon McCullum.

Moeen made his test debut in 2014 and went on to score 2,914 runs in 64 tests at an average of 28.29, picking up 195 wickets.

The 35-year-old announced his retirement from the longest format of the game in September last year but in June said McCullum had sounded him out about a potential red-ball return.

Moeen made his test debut in 2014 and went on to score 2,914 runs in 64 tests at an average of 28.29, picking up 195 wickets.

The 35-year-old announced his retirement from the longest format of the game in September last year but in June said McCullum had sounded him out about a potential red-ball return.

England's test side next play a three-match series against Pakistan in Rawalpindi, Multan and Karachi in December but Moeen said he would not be with them.

"I've had an honest chat with Baz (McCullum) and I can't see myself being stuck in hotels for another month and playing to the best of my ability," Moeen wrote in his column for the Daily Mail on Monday.

"Baz phoned me, we spoke at length and I said, 'Sorry, I'm done'. He understands, he knows the feeling. Test cricket is hard work. I'm 35 and something's got to give.

"I want to enjoy my cricket and it wouldn't be fair to reverse my decision and then struggle to give it my all. It's time to close the door on that side of my career. To play 64 tests for England has been a privilege and a dream fulfilled."

Moeen captained England's Twenty20 side in their 4-3 series win over Pakistan in the absence of the injured Jos Buttler, and will be a key player for the team in this month's T20 World Cup in Australia.

Reuters

England all-rounder Moeen Ali is to captain Birmingham Bears in this summer's T20 Blast.

England's one-day vice-captain, 35, will succeed Carlos Brathwaite, who skippered the Bears in 2022.

Like Bears overseas signing Glenn Maxwell, Moeen will miss the start of the Blast because of his Indian Premier League commitments.

The T20 Blast season begins on Friday, 20 May, when wicketkeeper Alex Davies will deputise in his absence.

The IPL final is pencilled in for Saturday, 28 May and, if either Moeen's side Chennai Super Kings or Maxwell's Royal Chargers Bangalore make it, one or both of them may miss as many as three Bears matches.

Moeen, who won the T20 World Cup with England in November, was in his first season as Worcestershire's T20 skipper when they won the competition at Edgbaston in 2018.

"I'm really grateful to be given the opportunity to captain my hometown club," he said. "I grew up just a short walk from Edgbaston.

"I always dreamed of playing at this great stadium when I was a child, and now to be made captain is something special."

Moeen, who began his professional career with Warwickshire in 2005, spent 16 years at the Pears following his move to New Road in 2007.

But, after making his England debut in all three forms of the game in 2014, his Worcestershire appearances became increasingly limited.

It was announced last July that he was to return to Edgbaston on a white-ball only contract.

Bears head coach Mark Robinson said: "Moeen is not only an extremely talented cricketer, but a leader on and off the pitch.

"Anyone who has spent time with Mo talks positively about his ability to motivate a team, while staying calm in the most pressurised moments."

BBC

England all-rounder Moeen Ali is to captain Birmingham Bears in this summer's T20 Blast.

England's one-day vice-captain, 35, will succeed Carlos Brathwaite, who skippered the Bears in 2022.

Like Bears overseas signing Glenn Maxwell, Moeen will miss the start of the Blast because of his Indian Premier League commitments.

The T20 Blast season begins on Friday, 20 May, when wicketkeeper Alex Davies will deputise in his absence.

The IPL final is pencilled in for Saturday, 28 May and, if either Moeen's side Chennai Super Kings or Maxwell's Royal Chargers Bangalore make it, one or both of them may miss as many as three Bears matches.

Moeen, who won the T20 World Cup with England in November, was in his first season as Worcestershire's T20 skipper when they won the competition at Edgbaston in 2018.

"I'm really grateful to be given the opportunity to captain my hometown club," he said. "I grew up just a short walk from Edgbaston.

"I always dreamed of playing at this great stadium when I was a child, and now to be made captain is something special."

Moeen, who began his professional career with Warwickshire in 2005, spent 16 years at the Pears following his move to New Road in 2007.

But, after making his England debut in all three forms of the game in 2014, his Worcestershire appearances became increasingly limited.

It was announced last July that he was to return to Edgbaston on a white-ball only contract.

Bears head coach Mark Robinson said: "Moeen is not only an extremely talented cricketer, but a leader on and off the pitch.

"Anyone who has spent time with Mo talks positively about his ability to motivate a team, while staying calm in the most pressurised moments."

BBC

It has been a long time coming, this is a fairy tale ending to his career, being the captain of the Birmingham Bears. It doesn’t matter where you live in the city, Edgbaston is the heart beat and it would be rare for you have gone through the city at some point without passing the iconic ground. It’s probably like 15 minutes on the Bus from where Mo lives, for all the kids who aspired to make it big, the goal is always to play for Warwickshire. It really is a massive honour and , privilege; especially for Mo; I think he will do a great job and more than anything, he’s going to boost interest and inspire many young local club cricketers who attend these games and idolise him.

Wow - this could be interesting

==

England have asked Moeen Ali if he would be available for selection as they look to resolve their Ashes problems after spinner Jack Leach was ruled out of the series with a lower back stress fracture.

Moeen, who has played 64 Tests and retired from Test cricket in 2021 just months before England’s tour to Australia, turned down an approach from Brendon McCullum last year before the trip to Pakistan revealing to Mail Sport that he told the England Head Coach: ‘Sorry, I’m done’.

But he has been approached by McCullum again and the lure of playing one final Ashes series for his country may prove too good to resist for the 35-year-old after England’s SOS call.

If Moeen is available and selected, he will join England’s squad ahead of next week's first Test at Edgbaston.

Mail Sport understands that Moeen is considering his options. He is contracted to play for Warwickshire in the T20 Blast and undertake media duties for BBC during The Ashes.

The 35-year-old last played first-class cricket in 2021 and though he was out of the side for two years after he was dropped followed the Edgbaston Ashes Test in 2019, he is England’s only experienced available spin option for the summer ahead after Leach’s injury.

Leach is the only bowler to have played all 13 Tests under Ben Stokes and McCullum while 18-year-old Rehan Ahmed was the last spinner other than Leach to play a Test for England, when both he and Leach featured against Pakistan in December.

Leg-spinner Ahmed took 5-48 on debut while Surrey's off-spinning all-rounder Will Jacks played the first two Tests of the same series.

With 195 wickets across 64 Tests and with three-left handers in Australia’s top six, Moeen’s off-spin would certainly come into play while his style of batting would fit right with the style of ‘Bazball’.

Despite playing all five Tests during England’s success in the 2015 Ashes, Moeen has taken only 20 wickets in 11 Ashes Tests at an average of 64 in his career.

But who knows what could happen under Stokes? He will certainly be given the freedom to bat how he likes and captain Stokes will back him with the ball, with attacking fields.

Moeen did consider a return for the Pakistan series last winter after an initial approach from McCullum but later decided that his Test cricket career was done as he prioritised franchise cricket,

Now, less than a year on, he has been approached again by his country in a remarkable twist just ten days before one of the most eagerly anticipated Ashes series of modern times.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...-Ashes.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailsport

He’ll find it hard to say no to this one.

Seems to be the number one choice to replace Leech.

Bit of a kick in the teeth for the likes of Rehan etc.

Oh no!

Looks like we are going to be treated to another series of Moeens moaning.

England really do have an irrational love for Moeen. Why not back a proper spinner, otherwise they'll never actually develop one.

England really do have an irrational love for Moeen. Why not back a proper spinner, otherwise they'll never actually develop one.

Maybe his experience needed for The Ashes?

You wouldn’t back Moeen to perform against Australia of all teams. He has had a psychological barrier against them, but this Bazball stuff might work in his favor.

He is a good hitter and he might be able to some effective cameos if he bats with a fearless approach.

So with such a big domestic set up they can not dish up a backup spinner when their main spinner gets injured?
I like Moeen and he has the experience, but picking someone who has not played a first class game for two years? What signal does this give to all upcoming young spinners?

What signal does this give to all upcoming young spinners?

That they need to do better, because almost all of them in England are rubbish. Otherwise they’d be getting picked instead.

It’s only Rehan Ahmed among the upcoming young English spinners who is even in the conversation.

There has always been a shortage of English spin bowlers. Ashley Giles is statistically in the Top 10 that England has produced, which suggests that there have not been many good ones.

That they need to do better, because almost all of them in England are rubbish. Otherwise they’d be getting picked instead.

It’s only Rehan Ahmed among the upcoming young English spinners who is even in the conversation.

There has always been a shortage of English spin bowlers. Ashley Giles is statistically in the Top 10 that England has produced, which suggests that there have not been many good ones.

Sure. But is that really the spinner's fault or the system that can not produce better spin bowlers than Ashley Giles?

And he is back!!!

==

Warwickshire spin-bowling all-rounder Moeen Ali has been added to the England Men’s Test squad for the first two LV= Insurance Men’s Ashes Test matches against Australia starting at Edgbaston on Friday 16 June 2023.

He replaces Somerset’s Jack Leach, who was withdrawn from the original 16-player squad on Sunday after sustaining a low back stress fracture, which rules him out of the five-match Ashes Test series.

Ali, 35, who retired from Test cricket at the end of the 2021 summer, has reversed his decision following discussions with Test Captain Ben Stokes, Test Head Coach Brendon McCullum and Managing Director of England Men’s Cricket Rob Key.

The Birmingham-born off-spinner will be looking to add to his 64 Test caps. He has scored 2,914 Test runs and has 195 wickets at Test level. He will celebrate his 36th birthday during the first Test at Edgbaston on 18 June.

Rob Key, Managing Director of England Men’s Cricket, said:

“We reached out to Mo (Moeen Ali) early this week about returning to Test cricket. Having had a couple of days to reflect, Mo is excited to join the squad and play Test cricket again. His vast experience, along with his all-round ability, will benefit our Ashes campaign.

“We wish Mo and the rest of the squad well for the Ashes campaign.”

The England party will report to Birmingham on Monday 12 June. They are due to practice at Edgbaston from Tuesday 13 June.

A proper kick in the teeth to those plying their trade in the county championship.

It’s great for Mo! And for England. IMO even if Leach was fit and Mo was was willing he should have been ahead of him.

Rehan’s time will come but he is too green at the moment to take on top sides.

I hate to say this, but England after the first test Vs Pak realised that pak are playing minnow level test cricket these days and treated them as such by debuting a green teenager against such opposition.

It’s great for Mo! And for England. IMO even if Leach was fit and Mo was was willing he should have been ahead of him.

Rehan’s time will come but he is too green at the moment to take on top sides.

I hate to say this, but England after the first test Vs Pak realised that pak are playing minnow level test cricket these days and treated them as such by debuting a green teenager against such opposition.

Chucking Rehan in probably wouldn't have been fair to him this early on, picking Moeen over Dawson is nonsense though.

He averages 65 with the ball vs India

Bowled really badly last time he played tests..

Matt Parkinson was a much better option.
If eng are picking someone who hasn't played red ball in almost 2 years, they might as well pick Dan Moriarty who didn't play this county season, but has over 40 wickets in 8 fc matches.

If eng are picking someone who hasn't played red ball in almost 2 years, they might as well pick Dan Moriarty who didn't play this county season, but has over 40 wickets in 8 fc matches.

Parkinson seems to have had quite a setback, can't get in the Lancashire team at the moment. Moriarty and Virdi both really need to move away from Surrey where they're not getting any game time.

Dawson would have been slaughtered, he already plays for a cheap county team, it’s supporters are among a few asking for his inclusion with no real confidence going by his record in an English shirt. Horrible horrible bowler. The fact that someone who has been out of red ball cricket for so long is preferred, should tell you all you need to know. England have a deep issue with Mo, they are trying to make up for their past management failures, during his entire career they were looking for an alternative, only to realise now that he’s the best they have, even when handicapped, this should raise some alarms now more than ever when it comes to the future of their spin resources

Idnians are still scarred by the beatings they’ve received

The fact that someone who has been out of red ball cricket for so long is preferred, should tell you all you need to know.

That the selectors are repeating past mistakes from other formats. The fact that Moeen was able to rack up over 100 ODI games and statistically be one of the worst players in history to reach that milestone whilst Dawson dominated the domestic game in the same format and position whilst barely getting as much as a look in (let alone a run in the team) was a disgrace.

England have a deep issue with Mo, they are trying to make up for their past management failures,

The only management failure with Moeen was giving him as many international games as he has had. He should never have got close to this total of games. Having him in the T20 team with 6 bowling options available made sense, having him in the test team occasionally made sense but he still played more games than he should have (and is going to continue doing so by the looks of things), playing as many ODIs as he did is right up there as one of the most baffling selection decisions in English cricketing history.

during his entire career they were looking for an alternative

As mentioned above, they barely had a look at any alternatives, even when he was racking up his mediocre record.

Last edited:
That the selectors are repeating past mistakes from other formats. The fact that Moeen was able to rack up over 100 ODI games and statistically be one of the worst players in history to reach that milestone whilst Dawson dominated the domestic game in the same format and position whilst barely getting as much as a look in (let alone a run in the team) was a disgrace.

The only management failure with Moeen was giving him as many international games as he has had. He should never have got close to this total of games. Having him in the T20 team with 6 bowling options available made sense, having him in the test team occasionally made sense but he still played more games than he should have (and is going to continue doing so by the looks of things), playing as many ODIs as he did is right up there as one of the most baffling selection decisions in English cricketing history.

As mentioned above, they barely had a look at any alternatives, even when he was racking up his mediocre record.

Pure ignorant stuff, you prefer that mong with an average in excess of 40 because he plays for your crappy county team. Why are you crying about ODI’s, we know it’s not his best format, you take Mo out, and I still wouldn’t touch Dawson with a barge pole, although his average of 60 and batting average of 10 must have been alluring. Across all formats he is a horrible cricketer, there’s a reason why he is not considered even with games under his belt. Yeah it’s mediocre to be a world champion and have nearly 3k Test runs and 200 wickets. Overlooking how he was used is stupid on your part.

Pure ignorant stuff, you prefer that mong with an average in excess of 40 because he plays for your crappy county team.

No, I prefer him because I have half a clue what I'm talking about and actually watch the county championship unlike yourself (not that Moeen has been playing it anyway for the last couple of years, yet still seems happy to jump in and take a spot in the test team that he doesn't deserve). I also know that basing judgement of someone off 3 games is ridiculous.

Why are you crying about ODI’s, we know it’s not his best format, you take Mo out, and I still wouldn’t touch Dawson with a barge pole,

Because it's another example where a ridiculous obsession with the mediocrity of Moeen has cost Dawson a deserved run in the team:

Moeen in ODI cricket since 2015: Batting average 23.56 SR 97.27. Bowling average 50,62, econ 5.31.
Dawson in List A cricket since 2015: Batting average 48.72 SR 99.70. Bowling average 25.00, econ 4.33.

although his average of 60 and batting average of 10 must have been alluring.

I mean, an Ashes bowling average of 65 has got Moeen into the test team for another Ashes series...

Across all formats he is a horrible cricketer, there’s a reason why he is not considered even with games under his belt.

Again, we both know you don't watch county cricket and have barely seen the bloke. 10/10 for the trolling effort though.

Yeah it’s mediocre to be a world champion and have nearly 3k Test runs and 200 wickets. Overlooking how he was used is stupid on your part.

Getting dropped from the team is quite literally what made Moeen a world champion...

Deleted some posts which are unnecessarily personal.

Deep breaths and start again please.

No time for Moaner Mo tbh.

Every second statement is a whine or a moan. He couldn't be bothered playing in Pakistan when his country needed him to, took a break through the Indian tour so he could be fresh for IPL and is generally disrespectful of test cricket.

I think he will retire mid series.

No, I prefer him because I have half a clue what I'm talking about and actually watch the county championship unlike yourself (not that Moeen has been playing it anyway for the last couple of years, yet still seems happy to jump in and take a spot in the test team that he doesn't deserve). I also know that basing judgement of someone off 3 games is ridiculous.

Because it's another example where a ridiculous obsession with the mediocrity of Moeen has cost Dawson a deserved run in the team:

Moeen in ODI cricket since 2015: Batting average 23.56 SR 97.27. Bowling average 50,62, econ 5.31.
Dawson in List A cricket since 2015: Batting average 48.72 SR 99.70. Bowling average 25.00, econ 4.33.

I mean, an Ashes bowling average of 65 has got Moeen into the test team for another Ashes series...

Again, we both know you don't watch county cricket and have barely seen the bloke. 10/10 for the trolling effort though.

Getting dropped from the team is quite literally what made Moeen a world champion...

Moeen is statistically one of the worst players to play ODI cricket.

He will of course blame his stats on captains, team order, not knowing his role etc.

The thing with England here is, it didn’t seem like they had to deliberate much on other options so they need to own their actions, Mo is who they wanted. The batting will be deeper and they are afforded the option of playing another pacer, easing burden on Stokes. They’ve gone for experience and it‘s a gamble as he hasn’t played red ball cricket in a while, but no spinner has taken a bucket load of wickets thus far, Dawson has failed to inspire internationally and his overall FC record is average, he has bowled OK so far and you could argue a safer option but too boring/dull for the current regime, I don’t see him making any major dents should he play any games during the series. At Edgbaston, early season you can argue a spinner shouldn’t play anyway.

Moeen is statistically one of the worst players to play ODI cricket.

He will of course blame his stats on captains, team order, not knowing his role etc.

That’s his worst format, there is no defending that. But we can’t overlook how England failed partly as well when it came to getting the most out of him given his talent, but he still had a decent return in T20’s and Tests

Parkinson seems to have had quite a setback, can't get in the Lancashire team at the moment. Moriarty and Virdi both really need to move away from Surrey where they're not getting any game time.

yea it is really strange how parkinson and moriarity didnt even play a single county game this season.
but both are still much better selection choices than moeen.

moeen has an atrocious record vs australia even at his peak. if eng serve up flat wickets, he will be carted most likely

Parkinson is awful.

It’s great for Mo! And for England.

In my opinion it’s a good short term move for the team, which has felt slightly disjointed since Stokes lost the ability to contribute 20-25 overs per Test due to his chronic knee injury. He will now be limited to cameo appearances with the ball, and with his batting very hit and miss, is now mainly in the side as a captain who will play the occasional clutch innings. Moeen effectively comes into this England side as the all rounder.

Duckett
Crawley
Pope
Root
Brook
Bairstow+
Stokes*
Moeen
Wood
Broad
Anderson

As an example XI, this is now looking more balanced.

The thing with England here is, it didn’t seem like they had to deliberate much on other options so they need to own their actions, Mo is who they wanted. The batting will be deeper and they are afforded the option of playing another pacer, easing burden on Stokes. They’ve gone for experience and it‘s a gamble as he hasn’t played red ball cricket in a while, but no spinner has taken a bucket load of wickets thus far, Dawson has failed to inspire internationally and his overall FC record is average, he has bowled OK so far and you could argue a safer option but too boring/dull for the current regime, I don’t see him making any major dents should he play any games during the series. At Edgbaston, early season you can argue a spinner shouldn’t play anyway.

We’ve seen numerous examples in the England team already where previously streaky players with poor to middling Test records who have been in and out of the team, like Duckett, Pope and Bairstow, are being strongly backed, beefed up full of confidence by the leadership regime, and suddenly start performing and looking like world beaters. Moeen could be the next example. It’s a gamble for sure, but McCullum and Stokes have got most of their decisions right so far.

Parkinson is awful.

he has been decent in the last 2 county seasons he played. just a few bad matches doesnt mean he is awful.

moeen is the worst possible option eng could pick. even jack carson was a better option.

England great Mike Gatting has expressed surprise at Moeen Ali's dramatic Ashes recall after nearly two years out of Test cricket, warning that Australia will look to target the off-spinning all-rounder.

Ali, 35, was persuaded to end his retirement from Tests by skipper Ben Stokes and coach Brendon McCullum this week after regular spinner Jack Leach was forced out of the five-match series with a stress fracture in his back.

Gatting, a gutsy batsman who led England to victory Down Under in the 1986-87 Ashes, said he found the recall hard to fathom.

"When I heard it I couldn't quite understand it, because obviously Moeen doesn't want to play Test cricket and I don't understand why he wants to come back for this," Gatting said at a charity event in Bangkok on Thursday.

Ali, an elegant batsman and more-than-useful spin bowler, has played 64 Tests for England, taking 195 wickets and scoring 2,914 runs.

But Stokes and McCullum have made a bold, aggressive approach -- dubbed "Bazball" -- the hallmark of their team, and Gatting said he thought they could have made a more forward-looking choice to replace Leach.

"You've got a guy called Rehan Ahmed who got five-for in his debut Test against a good Pakistan team and he's been doing reasonably well in T20," Gatting said.

"I suppose they've really gone for the real safe option."

The 18-year-old Ahmed became England's youngest men's Test cricketer on his debut in Karachi in December, putting in an impressive performance against a strong Pakistan side.

But there are fears about exposing him to the pressure and intensity of an Ashes series too early in his career.

Australia have been tough opponents for Ali, with his career bowling average climbing from 36.66 to 64.65 in Ashes cricket, and Gatting warned that Pat Cummins's men would look to target him.

"He hasn't played much Test cricket and it's very difficult to get back into Test cricket when you've been out of it for so long," said Gatting, 66.

"Whoever bowls spin for us, they're going to get after."

Ali will turn 36 during the first Test, which begins June 16 at his home ground of Edgbaston.

AFP

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"This is an era I would have loved when I was playing!" <br><br>Moeen Ali explains why decided to come out of retirement ahead of the Ashes &#55356;&#57332;&#56128;&#56423;&#56128;&#56418;&#56128;&#56421;&#56128;&#56430;&#56128;&#56423;&#56128;&#56447;<a href="https://t.co/yWtqpTQYKk">pic.twitter.com/yWtqpTQYKk</a></p>— Sky Sports Cricket (@SkyCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/1668577270888296449?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 13, 2023</a></blockquote>

Mark Butcher : “I’m slightly baffled by the whole thing,” he said. “There’s a lot of hoping going on… Jack Leach is a holding bowler for Ben Stokes right? Moeen Ali has never been a holding bowler in his entire career and has not played any red-ball cricket for two years. His Ashes record is pretty bad with bat and with ball, and he has had no interest in playing long-form cricket ever since his retirement.

Moeen Ali says he would not have come out of Test retirement to play in the Ashes for any other England captain than Ben Stokes.

Moeen answered England's call after Jack Leach was ruled out of the series against Australia with a back injury.

Stokes' pioneering style of captaincy has led England to 11 wins from their past 13 Tests.

"To be part of it is amazing. It's such a big series and the guys have been playing exciting cricket," said Moeen.

A stress fracture in Leach's back was revealed after England's comprehensive win against Ireland at Lord's earlier this month.

Off-spinner Moeen, who retired from Test cricket in September 2021, was contacted by Stokes before he heard about Leach's injury.

"Stokesy messaged me with a question mark - 'Ashes?'," said Moeen. "I just said 'LOL', thinking he was taking the mick.

"The news came through and I had a chat with him. That was it."

Moeen and Stokes were team-mates with Chennai Super Kings at the Indian Premier League in April and May.

"I've obviously spent a lot of time with Stokesy during the IPL," said Warwickshire's Moeen.

"He didn't mention anything about coming out of retirement, it was just about the Ashes and how he was looking to take the team. He obviously watched me train out there and thinks I can bowl decently."

Moeen, who has taken 195 wickets and scored 2,914 runs in 64 Tests, is in line to go straight into the England team for the Ashes opener against Australia at Edgbaston on Friday. He will turn 36 on the third day of the match.

Naturally aggressive with both bat and ball, Moeen is likely to be well-suited to the attacking style of cricket championed by Stokes and England coach Brendon McCullum.

Asked whether he would have come out of retirement for any other captain, Moeen said: "Probably not, no.

"It is a free hit. I'm not playing for my spot. There's no pressure, really.

"I spoke to Baz [McCullum] and he said he's not bothered about how I perform, which is quite nice.

"As an individual, I want to do well and contribute to winning games. All the things I ever wanted to do in Test cricket I'm going to try to do in these games. It could be dangerous, it could be not so dangerous. We'll see."

As the only frontline spinner, Moeen will play a key role in the England attack, particularly as all-rounder Stokes has been managing a long-term left knee problem.

Stokes, 32, bowled only one over at the IPL and not at all against Ireland, but released a video of himself bowling in practice in Scotland last week.

He bowled again on the square at Edgbaston on Tuesday, albeit with his knee heavily strapped. Stokes bowled around 12 balls, some off his full run-up.

Moeen revealed that his wife has reservations about his decision and that he has had to cancel a family holiday in order to play in the Ashes.

Though England have only named a squad for the first two Tests, he is available for the whole series but is unlikely to extend his comeback to the tour of India in the new year.

Moeen was an Ashes winner in 2015, but has a poor career record against the Australians, averaging almost 65 with the ball.

In his last Ashes series, on home soil in 2019, he was dropped after the first Test at the same Edgbaston ground where he will make his return.

"It's a bit of a fresh start," he said. "I get over those things pretty quickly. I've forgotten about those things and moved on."

Moeen also said he "100%" expects to be targeted by the Australian batters.

"If I was them I'd do the same," he said. "Any spinner that came in would have been attacked. I'm not expecting them to defend me.

"I'm expecting them to come after me, which could be dangerous because Stokesy likes having the fielders up. It could go for a lot of runs."

BBC

Retire...Unretire and then in Ashes XI!!!

What a journey for Moeen.

Incredible to see Moeen playing for England in a Test again!

lcimg-80d7a55f-ccf8-40e6-b9e7-31d22c4d6838.jpeg

Didn't last too long

==

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="QBXIG1e"><a href="https://imgur.com/QBXIG1e">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Was Rashid not approached?.

Rehan was the obvious choice. I thought whole point of New England was to stop playing silly beggars. Moeen treating an Ashes test line some Indian franchise league does neither him nor England any good.

Probably prove a liability with the bowl too.

And he rejected a generational, possibly eternal tour of Pakistan while cuddling up in India?.

Moeen's magic delivery to remove Green!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">"LOL"<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/EnglandCricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#EnglandCricket</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ashes?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ashes</a> <a href="https://t.co/hNHY3Owd0s">pic.twitter.com/hNHY3Owd0s</a></p>— England Cricket (@englandcricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/englandcricket/status/1670094150929379328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 17, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

England all-rounder Moeen Ali has been found guilty of breaching the ICC Code of Conduct and will be fined 25 per cent of his match fee from the first Ashes Test against Australia.

Moeen Ali was found to have breached Article 2.20 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel, which relates to displaying conduct that is contrary to the spirit of the game.

One demerit point has been added to Moeen’s disciplinary record for breaching Level 1 of the ICC Code of Conduct. This was the England all-rounder’s first offence in the past 24 months.

The incident occurred during the 89th over of Australia’s first innings at Edgbaston when Moeen was seen applying a drying agent to his bowling hand at the boundary line while fielding.

Moeen admitted the offence and accepted the sanction proposed by Andy Pycroft of the Emirates ICC Elite Panel of Match Referees, so there was no need for a formal hearing.

Moeen Ali picked up two wickets on Day 2 of the first Ashes TestMoeen Ali picked up two wickets on Day 2 of the first Ashes Test
In reaching his decision to sanction the player along with the Level 1 sanction he imposed, the Match Referee was satisfied that the cream was applied to the finger only to dry his hands. The cream was not applied as an artificial substance to the ball and consequently, it did not change the condition of the ball, which would have been in breach of clause 41.3 of the ICC playing conditions – Unfair Play – The Match Ball – Changing its Condition.

On-field umpires Ahsan Raza and Marais Erasmus, third umpire Chris Gaffaney and fourth umpire Mike Burns levelled the charge.

Level 1 breaches carry a minimum penalty of an official reprimand, a maximum penalty of 50 per cent of a player’s match fee, and one or two demerit points.

Getting tonked, fined under tampering regulations and now off the field because he's not physically prepared for a test match. Not having a great time, who'd have guessed it...

Moeen struggling with his finger.

The decision to pick him after so long not looking great at the moment.

Well Moeen bowled a special delivery to get Head - huge wicket

lcimg-ff81bafb-148f-4f60-89de-758b74eed7ca.jpeg

A brief comeback, dropped after one game and not part of the 2nd Test XI, albeit due to his injury.

What was the point of bringing Moeen out of retirement when for the Ashes when he was clearly not fit enough and in the right frame of mind to play Test cricket.

Ben Stokes is a gift that keeps on giving. He is taking Test cricket way too lightly and has no respect for the format as captain. It is going to end very badly for him and that is what he deserves.

Moeen Ali becomes third England spinner to take 100 ODI wickets

Moeen reached this milestone during England's second ODI against New Zealand at Southampton. During the match, the spinner bowled well, taking 2/30 in five overs at a decent economy rate of 6.00. He took the crucial wickets of in-form all-rounder Daryl Mitchell and Mitchell Santner.

Moeen also contributed 33 runs off 32 balls with his bat, smacking three boundaries and a six. Now in 130 ODIs, Moeen has 101 wickets at an average of 49.20, with the best bowling figures of 4/46.

England spin bowlers with more ODI wickets than Moeen are Graeme Swann (104 wickets in 79 matches) and Adil Rashid (184 wickets in 126 matches). Adil is England's third most-successful ODI bowler ever while Moeen sits at 14th spot. With 269 wickets in 194 matches, pacer James Anderson is England's most successful ODI bowler ever.

Back