[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Kagiso Rabada - A champion bowler

Chief Destroyer

ODI Debutant
Runs
Outstanding effort. Only 21 years old. Bowling long spells, reversing the ball both ways at pace with supreme accuracy. Just fantastic bowling. He's put SA on his back.

Destined to become SA's best fast bowler dethroning Donald. The only bowler I see challenging Amir when he hits his stride.

He is past Amir lol.

Only thing they have in common was that they were both young fast bowling prodigies at age 18-20, and had an incredible burst onto the international scene from their debut. One threw it away, let's see what the other does.

Great talent though, no doubt. Just like with QdK CSA handpicked him from the U19 squads and kept a close eye on him rather than let him fade away like PCB does.

Best young pacer in the world alongside Amir and Starc. The skill is obvious but look at how mentally strong and clever the guy is for his age.

Lol @ the below par 30+ average pacer being named alongside Starc and Rabada.

Only among home fans.

Amir is overhyped, nowhere near Rabada as far as performance is concerned.

Neutral fans would agree.

Rabada is probably the best young fast bowler out there.

Him vs Starc is the real fun although Starc is older...

Boult and others are well behind.

Donald
Steyn
Rabada

Three terrific bowlers SA have produced besides Shaun Pollock and others.

Some of you guys here are delusional. Amir has done nothing to justify being compared with Rabada. In any event it's too early to start making comparisons of players.

Great talent and great find for SA. In future he will fill steyn's shoe i hope. Great for world cricket.

Donald
Steyn
Rabada

Three terrific bowlers SA have produced besides Shaun Pollock and others.

Why are you underrating Pollock so much? He was as good as McGrath for the majority of his career. They guy averages under 25 against almost all teams.

Very early in his career to make comparisons.

People putting Amir dawn.

Here is Rabada in India.

3 matches 2 Wickets and 147 strike rate.

swings it both ways at pace...... looks as menacing as the WI quicks of yesteryears

if he can stay away from injuries a genuine superstar in the making

lol he is far ahead of Amir right now

It is obvious that Rabada is the most talented Test bowler today. As for Amir mention, thanks for the laughs. :))

Terrific performance by Rabada. aamir does not have the raw pace/bounce of rabada to be that good. I think rabada's ceiling is higher.

rabada is ahead of amir but the gap between them is not large enough for people to be going 'lol'. i think its fair to say these 2 will be battling it out for the foreseeable future for the title of most talented pacer.

Yeah, I'd say Rabada has more going for him than Amir.

He must be scary as hell to face.

rabada is ahead of amir but the gap between them is not large enough for people to be going 'lol'. i think its fair to say these 2 will be battling it out for the foreseeable future for the title of most talented pacer.

Amir has done hardly anything of note 1 year since his return.

Rabada is miles ahead right now

Why do people have to draw comparisons anyway especially with someone who if had been playing for the past 7 years would have been near Rabada or maybe even miles ahead of him now.

Rabada at this moment in time does not have a match with anyone as he is leagues ahead of Amir and the other young bowlers if any.

After the tour downunder we would get a clearer picture on Amir vs Rabada debate for now Rabada seems better.

Philander seemed like star in making initially as well,seems to have calmed down with odd performances tbh.

De Cock and Rabada - two youngsters who already look like players who can go onto have 10-12 years long careers for SA. SA can breathe easy now, they are on their way to being back to a Test domination again.

What an athlete this guy is! 31 overs in the innings and atleast a couple of spells of 8 overs yet maintained good pace in the hot Perth weather.

51 overs in the test.

Although Starc bowled similar number of overs and Hazelwood more. Amazing fitness from these guys.

Last edited:
Brilliant bowler. Amir has lost swing, hence becoming mediocre (a la JK)

Rabada is swinging both ways with accuracy, swinging them late like Steyn, and with both new and old cherries! Looks brilliant.

Anyways, whats his height like?

Rabada is great.

However as is typical of most fans here, they're quick to judge and have knee jerk reactions.

So he's better than Amir suddenly because of his good show in one match here? Amir has bowled great spells too. So they all go in vain and with your short term memory you'd bash Amir?

Rabada and Amir are pretty much the same level as of now. And Amir has a series coming up ahead too.

Really hope he stays fit and his workload is managed.

Cricket needs as many exciting tearaway fast bowlers as it can get.

Hopefully he's managed correctly by South Africa. Has everything to go down as one of South Africa's great bowlers.

Amir got a fifer in Australia too. Though it's his fault he isn't considered that good anymore. He can get to the top if he works hard. Rabada is good.

Think what is unique about him is his ability to bowl fast with minimal effort. His action just looks so natural and his arm swing seems effortless, yet generates great pace and bounce. It will probably help him in the long term in dodging the injuries that happen to fast bowlers with more strenuous actions.

Up there with Starc as the best in the business at the moment.

Outstanding effort. Only 21 years old. Bowling long spells, reversing the ball both ways at pace with supreme accuracy. Just fantastic bowling. He's put SA on his back.

Destined to become SA's best fast bowler dethroning Donald. The only bowler I see challenging Amir when he hits his stride.

So, I see you don't rate Styen highly or do you not think he is a fast bowler?

Amir has already done what Rabada is doing. It takes time when you don't play for so many years. In two years time Amir would sizzle and carry Pak team when the batting faulters (retirement).

Yes, I believe Steyn's benefited from playing in a weaker era.

May be this warrants for another thread but quickly, how do you think he has managed that SR which no one else has in this weaker era including his stats in Sub continent.

Looks a great bowler in the making but has a long way to go yet. Amazing how people have written off Amir so early though. Not even been a year since his return and they have made up their mind.

Wait for the New Zealand and Australia series to finish first, as well as the champions trophy before you start to make judgements.

Beast.

Also, people needlessly bashing Amir here need to start watching some cricket.

He is better than Amir right now, however Amir has shown signs of his swing returning.

Rabada has it all, swing, seam, length, bouncer, yorker, pace. Really love watching him bowl, and at the rate he's going, seems he will end with tons of wickets.

[MENTION=141557]Chief Destroyer[/MENTION] - Rabada and Amir should not be compared IMO at this stage.

Reg Rabada -U reckon, his action is an injury waiting to happen? Action reminds me of Mohammad Zahid.

Last edited:
" Greatest young fast bowling talent since Wasim Akram ". As per one of the commentator yesterday.

[MENTION=141557]Chief Destroyer[/MENTION] - Rabada and Amir should not be compared IMO at this stage.

Reg Rabada -U reckon, his action is an injury waiting to happen? Action reminds me of Mohammad Zahid.

Clearly mentioned when Amir "hits his stride."

No, Zahid's problem was he was too front on and wanted to bowl 100 mph every ball. A front on action heavily strains the lower back particularly if you're striving for pace. He also didn't have the muscle mass to endure the strain of bowling genuine pace every ball. Not his fault though, came from a poor background and wasn't looked after. Rabada is a bit side-on, not completely like a Holding, which reduces strain on your lower back. This is what the coaches should have done with Zahid. Again, not his fault, rather the system. Rabada should be fine. His mechanics are very good.

When judging how good (or bad) a bowler is, one should also take into account the quality and depth of his own teams batting line-up.

Why?

Because a strong batting line-up will put up big scores, thereby enabling your captain to place attacking fields, coupled with the fact that the opposing batsmen are playing under scoreboard pressure. Whereas a weak batting line-up means low scores, resulting in not only your fielding captain having to defend, but if the oppositions batting line-up is stronger, it's quite likely that as a bowler you may only get to bowl in one full innings against them, thereby reducing the potential for the weaker batting line-ups bowlers to get many wickets.

It is no coincidence that top bowling attacks, especially quickies, appear to coincide with teams also having quality batting line-ups (exceptions being Pakistan and India).

Amazing stuff. Went to a whole 'nother level after Steyn left the field. Just took the ball and ran with it. Credit should go to Faf as well. Managed the bowlers very well that too after losing his main strike weapon.

Assuming he stays injury free, by the end of the next 12 or 18 months, he will be by far the best bowler in the world

He's brilliant. He was bowling uperbly yesterday but was unlucky not to get a wicket. Kept his head and gave away nothing and didn't get even a tad frustrated. Amazing temperament.

Rabada is getting the luxary of playing on fast seaming pitches.

Let's see his performance on batting friendly conditions.

But he is good, no doubt.

Wow i was suprised he can swing the ball both ways, at his pace that is seriously impressive.
He might even turn out better than Steyn because unlike Steyn he can also bowl a inswinger.

He is shaming other bowlers from around the world who are slower than him and can only move the ball one way like Southee, Boult, Amir, Broad

Rabada has really been a sensation..credit to the young boy he is the best fast bowler in world cricket in his age group without a shadow of doubt. De kock and rabada both have quietly made a fabulous mark and can serve the team on a long term, that's why SA are such a successful bunch.

In SA even Rahat Ali took alot of wickets..��

Give him a year a more then we will see.

Yeah, Rahat took 6 wickets (wow, a lot) at an average of 38...

Totally comparable to Rabada taking:

15 wickets in Australia at an average of 22
41 wickets in SA at an average of 20

:14: :19:

Yeah, Rahat took 6 wickets (wow, a lot) at an average of 38...

Totally comparable to Rabada taking:

15 wickets in Australia at an average of 22
41 wickets in SA at an average of 20

:14: :19:

Rahat dont get the luxury of Fast pitches everytime he comes to bowl. He gets to bowl on UAE roads.

I am not saying he is not good, he is great talent but lets see how he pans out later on.

Hope to god he avoids injuries and his workload is managed. Has potential to become a South African ATG.

Most scary bowler in the world, he is going to destroy us when we tour next. Otherwise, i was hoping for Indian series win.

Rahat dont get the luxury of Fast pitches everytime he comes to bowl. He gets to bowl on UAE roads.

I am not saying he is not good, he is great talent but lets see how he pans out later on.

An average of 38 in 20 Test matches with a SR of 70 is no reflection and is a very poor return, Rahat shouldn't be selected anytime soon again because he clearly isn't good enough to take regular wickets and he also cannot bowl dry either - so there is no use for him in the team.

Rabada is the best Test pacer in the world atm.

Having watched him in the 2 tests, he is actually struggling with his rhythm. The SL batting has been appalling and hence the good returns but from what I have seen, he hasn't been at the same level as in the first 2 tests in Australia.

An average of 38 in 20 Test matches with a SR of 70 is no reflection and is a very poor return, Rahat shouldn't be selected anytime soon again because he clearly isn't good enough to take regular wickets and he also cannot bowl dry either - so there is no use for him in the team.

Rabada is the best Test pacer in the world atm.

Wow that's a big compliment coming from you.
At one stage you didn't even want to take the kid into consideration.
But yeah opinions change.

You can never judge a player until he steps outside his comfort zone.
A lot of Australian/South African cricketers look like rock stars at home

You can never judge a player until he steps outside his comfort zone.
A lot of Australian/South African cricketers look like rock stars at home

What? He was very good in Australia where even Pollock and Donald have failed and Steyn average in high 20

What? He was very good in Australia where even Pollock and Donald have failed and Steyn average in high 20

On that particular pitch it was almost home,he is a great talent but not yet Donald level and Aussies bat ain't the ones Pollock,Donald bowled to.

Wow that's a big compliment coming from you.
At one stage you didn't even want to take the kid into consideration.
But yeah opinions change.

Well I said he was raw and hadn't played enough to convince me around 4-5 months ago, think SA have played NZ, Aus and Sri Lanka since then and he's taken heaps and heaps of wickets through utilising swing, seam, pace, bounce and reverse and it is amazing to see such ability from someone so young and is very promising IMO.

Back