[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Kagiso Rabada - A champion bowler

Sensational spell against Australia. 4 wickets in 7 balls including Smith and Marsh bros.

Sensational spell against Australia. 4 wickets in 7 balls including Smith and Marsh bros.

Another quota system player who got lucky. Can't believe they needed to have him play while already fielding this joke Ngidi and the flabby trundler Philander.

Another quota system player who got lucky. Can't believe they needed to have him play while already fielding this joke Ngidi and the flabby trundler Philander.

How did JP managed to play 200 odi matches?

SA's top 5 test cricketers since readmission :-

Steyn
Kallis
Donald
Pollock
Smith

I see Rabada making his way into top5 or even top3 a generation later.

He's brilliant but needs more consistency.

Can go missing for a few matches.

Today was superb. Looked like Australia would get 450+. Series changing spell.

Rabada’s current Test strike-rate is 39.6. That’s the best by any bowler with 100+ wickets in 122 years

And second best is Steyn with a strike rate of 42 and that too with 419 wickets. For a bowler from 21st century with this kind of a record and also everywhere around the world is simply superb! Rabada is also on the same track!

ATG in the making, remarkable bowler. Fit athlete too with a clean and crisp action. Hope he can stay fit because he can gun to surpass any fast bowler down the line, absolute match winner.

KAGISO RABADA
Once in a Generation Bowler :

For perspective on how good Rabada really is, this is the list of most 10-wicket Tests for South Africa:
5 - Dale Steyn (from 86 Tests)
4 - Kagiso Rabada (from 28 Tests)
4 - Makhaya Ntini (from 101 Tests)
3 - Allan Donald (from 72 Tests)

10-wkt hauls by pacers since 2016:

Kagiso Rabada - 4
All others - 3 (one each by Anderson, Starc, Woakes)

Most 10-wkt hauls in Tests before age of 23:

4 Kagiso Rabada (28 Tests)
4 Waqar Younis (33 Tests)

If Kagiso Rabada was Australian, many articles would be written about how he doesn't take a backwoods step and part of the great Australian attitude

CHAMPION 🙏

Its great to see some champions bowlers who are ATGs in the making. If England, Pakistan and India can also come up with 1 young ATG in the making soon, we could be re-visisting the 90s when it comes to strong bowling attacks.

Champion bowler. But 10-fors are not indicative of anything, especially for fast bowlers.

Steyn suffers what I would call the Jason Gillespie syndrome (albeit being a great bowler). He gets the ball to do too much, whereas Rabada gets subtle movement which is just about enough with his pace and height. That is why Rabada gets 10 wicket hauls frequently. I've seen Steyn bowl like a demon and beat the outside edge 6/6 (Tendulkar, Bell, Collingwood on top of my head) and walk away with nothing. That late banana swing is the best I've ever seen. Will miss that guy.

Rabada needs a season off the IPL as well. Steyn was not LOI's for three years after his Test debut. Even missed out of the 2007 WC.

Champion bowler. But 10-fors are not indicative of anything, especially for fast bowlers.

Steyn suffers what I would call the Jason Gillespie syndrome (albeit being a great bowler). He gets the ball to do too much, whereas Rabada gets subtle movement which is just about enough with his pace and height. That is why Rabada gets 10 wicket hauls frequently. I've seen Steyn bowl like a demon and beat the outside edge 6/6 (Tendulkar, Bell, Collingwood on top of my head) and walk away with nothing. That late banana swing is the best I've ever seen. Will miss that guy.

Rabada needs a season off the IPL as well. Steyn was not LOI's for three years after his Test debut. Even missed out of the 2007 WC.

Dizzy had horrible luck also. Would beat the edge numerous times and the only catches dropped by Australia would be of off his bowling. The next over, they would fall to McGrath. Ha ha.

Sensational stuff.. 9 5-fers in 28 tests.

I predict that he will surpass Donald and Pollock in next 10 years.

Sensational bowler, highly talented, extremely fit( Amir should look up to him for inspiration and motivation), he is joy to watch. Already has 4 10fers 😳😳😳

ICC is ruining test cricket with those stupid discipline rules. They should focus on white collar crime in Cricket, which 10x worse sledging here and there. Now the best bowler in the world and of the series with miss critical matches, might as well cancel those tests as well :facepalm:

Kagiso Rabada out for three months with a stress fracture

Standard Bank Proteas fast bowler, Kagiso Rabada, has been ruled out for up to three months with a lower back stress reaction. Rabada felt tightness and discomfort during the fourth Sunfoil Test match against Australia at the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium, with subsequent scans revealing the injury.

Commenting on the injury, Proteas team manager, Dr Mohammed Moosajee said: “Kagiso has been diagnosed with a lower back stress reaction which will rule him out of cricket action for up to three months. He will need a month’s break from all physical activity before commencing with a rehabilitation programme to get him ready for the series against Sri Lanka in July.”

Rabada will be unavailable for the Delhi Daredevils in the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL).

Most bowlers that a get a stress fracture never come back as effectively. I hope for World crickets sake Rabada doesnt go the way of bowlers like Zahid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait so.. IPL have lost Starc and now Rabada.

But IPL bowling > PSL bowling :ishant

That means he won't play in IPL..... and Warner and Smith aren't there either. Starc may also not get fit in time. So what is the difference between IPL and PSL :)))

Atleast PSL has the players of the best T20 side in the world. India ke boray din chal rahay hain :yk

Now you know why Amir does not work hard in test and want to reduce participation.

Both Rabada and Strac are injured after two full series a season. They are two best fast bowlers in the world and carry the hopes of respective teams in big series. Test cricket is hard to keep up with in modern times.

Last edited:
Well thank God he is missing that IPL. I m happy for him. Hopefully he comes back stronger.

I hope he recovers soon. Better for him to rest and get back to international cricket rather than playing in IPL.

I hope he recovers soon. Better for him to rest and get back to international cricket rather than playing in IPL.

IIRC the guy didn't set world on Fire in last season of IPL. Good luck to KG on quick recovery, sure he will play next season of IPL if not injured again :19:

No Starc, now no Rabada - IPL losing some of its star appeal. But they will not be missed, opportunity for others to become IPL superstars. Hopefully some young Indian pacers will step up and grab the chance.

That means he won't play in IPL..... and Warner and Smith aren't there either. Starc may also not get fit in time. So what is the difference between IPL and PSL :)))

Atleast PSL has the players of the best T20 side in the world. India ke boray din chal rahay hain :yk

Wait so.. IPL have lost Starc and now Rabada.

But IPL bowling > PSL bowling :ishant

The obsession with India and ipl. :facepalm:

Last edited:
This was bound to happen. CSA did not show the same wisdom they showed with Steyn in his early and instead Rabada, barely 23, has already played far too much cricket across all formats.

This was bound to happen. CSA did not show the same wisdom they showed with Steyn in his early and instead Rabada, barely 23, has already played far too much cricket across all formats.

Yup he is burnt out, good to see his passion for Tests though,seems to be the one that would take up after Steyn hangs his boots.

:facepalm: Obsession with IPL, yet claim that we don't care about IPL.

Hope speedy recovery to the champion bowler he is. World cricket needs him to be as aggressive and lethal as he really is currently after his comeback.

Legends like Hashim Amla, Joe Root must be happy at this news as it opens up slot for them to come in now.

Hopefully, he is fully fit before SL tests.

Need to reduce his workload. Rest him for SL ODI/T20 series.

I don't understand this need to try and compare PSL and IPL.

PSL and IPL are totally different. If some Pakistani's even have a pipe dream, that one day PSL could even gain parity with IPL, then they are totally deluded. The size of both markets will always be different, and it is the sheer size of the Indian cricket watching population that allows the IPL to be what it is. No one will ever be able to compete.

PSL should just aim to be the best version of itself...and that should be good enough. If, however, you try and measure everything by the IPL yardstick, then you will be forever disappointed.

Yup he is burnt out, good to see his passion for Tests though,seems to be the one that would take up after Steyn hangs his boots.

Yes but sometimes with lower back stress fractures, bowkers' careers never really are the same . Look at pattinson for instance. I just hope that's not the case with KG.

I don't understand why people compare PSL and IPL. Just make your own league better and there won't be any need of comparisions. Just Money or Crowd can't be criteria to judge any league. If it's entertaining with some quality cricket then it should be considered better one.

Werent the Indians saying players were faking injuries to avoid the PSL and play IPL....what happened to the might IPL? Why did Warner and Smith get themselves banned? Why did Starc and Rabada get injured? lol

Damn, couldn't this have waited before our tour this winter ?

Seriously though, hope he recovers, hate seeing so many quality pacers break down.

The bowling stocks around the world are pretty poor, and if this guy comes back as a run of the mill medium pacer, the quality of test of cricket in particular will decline. We need fast bowlers that bowl fast!

Test Cricket is to blame for this continous breakdown of the rarest of breed. T-20 is played with much more frequency than ever and its much more rewarding and fun as well. Its almost impossible for fast bowlers to keep up with all the formats and T-20leagues while toiling in a test series as well.

Purist might disagree but I also used to be one until T-20 struck me the truth that every sport is about entertainment and there is no place for playing sports where no one is getting entertained except the ones who are playing it , heck even they might feel bored with the pace of Test Cricket.

Sorry but there is no such thing as pure cricket. Its what brings people to the ground which is important not the boundless Test cricket with "real" competition but no spectators.

ODI worldcup is the most prized crown of Cricket and the feeling of fullfillness being ODI world champion is no where to be found in being No 1 Test team of the world.

Hope for cricket's sake he will be fine when he comes back.

He will lose out on about $700k. That is a good chunk of change.

Perfect time to have a break to be honest. No cricket being played for the next 2 months, so time to rest and recuperate after such a long, gruelling season.

Incidentally, I reckon South Africa's home season was ludicrously convoluted. 10 test matches since last September is overkill, coming off the back of a full tour to England as well. It's completely out of hand.

Guys the thread is about Rabada. Not sure why people are bringing up unrelated matters.

Kagiso Rabada say he is honoured to have received so many awards at the annual Cricket South Africa (CSA) awards function in Sandton on Saturday, but insists that all his Standard Bank Proteas teammates contributed towards his success.

In what proved to be a magical evening for the 23-year-old, he won no fewer than six awards. These included the South African Cricketer of the Year, SA Players’ Player of the Year, Standard Bank Test Cricketer of the Year, Standard Bank ODI Cricketer of the Year and SA Fans Player of the Year. He also won the award for the RAM Delivery of the Year when he dismissed David Warner in the third Sunfoil Test match against Australia at PPC Newlands in March this year.

His six-star performance means he now done it both in 2016 and 2018. No other cricketer has ever won more than five awards.

“I am grateful and honoured to have received these awards,” the young star said. “It means I'm doing something right. I'm glad to have done it for the team and for the country.”

It has been a remarkable year for Rabada who rose to the No. 1 bowling ranking in the world in Test match cricket, cracking the 900-point barrier and is currently the leading wicket-taker in the 2018 calendar year with 38 dismissals at an average of 19.65. He is also ranked No. 7 in ODI cricket and was named in the ICC Test XI for the 2017 calendar year.

“It felt good to do what I did, but at the same time, I really do think that the whole team contributed,” Rabada explained. “If you look at the Test matches we played, whenever we were in trouble, there was always someone different who bailed us out.

“There were guys like Aiden (Markram) and AB (de Villiers) and Dean (Elgar), who were consistent, but if you look at the roles that other guys played like a Keshav (Maharaj), like a Temba (Bavuma), like a Quinny (Quinton de Kock) at Newlands.

“Those guys are not getting too much recognition, but when you are in the changing room you see it all. I just feel like everyone contributed.”

Rabada’s on-field behaviour was a big talking point this past season after several run-ins with opposing batsmen. But he says he has learnt from what happened.

He continued: “There’s certain things that happened to me, some good and some bad, which I have taken note off and made a conscious effort to improve on them, whether it be on the cricket field or just in my life.

“That’s where I am at the moment, just trying to build on from last season and trying to be ruthless by bringing this on in the new season.”

The fast bowler is currently sidelined with a lower back stress reaction. He was ruled out for three months in early April, but says his rehabilitation is going well.

South Africa’s next assignment is a tour to Sri Lanka next month.

“I’ve been taking it one week at a time,” Rabada adds. “When I got injured there was a plan for three months that I should be ready for Sri Lanka, so let’s see if the plan is going to go accordingly.

“At the moment it’s all good. So, we’re waiting until July.”

Last edited:
Kagiso Rabada ‘way better than me: Dale Steyn

While South Africa have Kagiso Rabada and Lungi Ngidi, who have impressed with the white ball lately, they have only played 51 and seven ODIs respectively. This is where Steyn thinks his experience of 116 ODIs and two World Cups – 2011 and 2015 – might be crucial.

“They are all learning as they play but unfortunately you can’t go to a World Cup still learning. You need to know what you are doing. Even at 35 I am still learning but I know what I am doing. These guys need that. I am hoping that’s what I can offer in the white-ball scene and obviously play and win games for the country,” Steyn said.

Calling Rabada ‘way better’ than himself at the moment, Steyn conceded that while the younger man is a better bowler, the 23-year-old lacks what he has: “He’s way better than me. I have obviously got my records and everything but he’s way better than I am right now.

“What he lacks is what I have, and that’s what I can share going forward. I will just carry on doing what I do and he can feed off that, he can learn off that and he can just become so much better.”

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2018/08/07/kagiso-rabada-way-better-than-me-dale-steyn/

Kagiso Rabada ‘way better than me: Dale Steyn

While South Africa have Kagiso Rabada and Lungi Ngidi, who have impressed with the white ball lately, they have only played 51 and seven ODIs respectively. This is where Steyn thinks his experience of 116 ODIs and two World Cups – 2011 and 2015 – might be crucial.

“They are all learning as they play but unfortunately you can’t go to a World Cup still learning. You need to know what you are doing. Even at 35 I am still learning but I know what I am doing. These guys need that. I am hoping that’s what I can offer in the white-ball scene and obviously play and win games for the country,” Steyn said.

Calling Rabada ‘way better’ than himself at the moment, Steyn conceded that while the younger man is a better bowler, the 23-year-old lacks what he has: “He’s way better than me. I have obviously got my records and everything but he’s way better than I am right now.

“What he lacks is what I have, and that’s what I can share going forward. I will just carry on doing what I do and he can feed off that, he can learn off that and he can just become so much better.”

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2018/08/07/kagiso-rabada-way-better-than-me-dale-steyn/

Steyn is playing down his amazing career and has done it all, Rabada has started to do it. If Rabada stays fit he may just be better than Steyn but that is by no means a foregone conclusion.

CSA CONGRATULATES RABADA ON BEST YOUNG MALE CRICKETER AWARD

Wednesday, 15 August 2018

CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA (CSA) has congratulated Standard Bank Proteas fast bowler Kagiso Rabada on being named the best young male cricketer in the world by Wisden Cricket Monthly Magazine’s August edition in a poll carried out among its correspondents around the world.

“This is another well-deserved honour for KG,” commented CSA Chief Executive Thabang Moroe, “whose achievements over the last few years have been quite phenomenal. These include becoming the youngest ever player to top the ICC Test bowling rankings earlier this year and becoming the youngest player to take 150 Test wickets.

“He is clearly destined to become one of our all-time greats and he fully deserves all the accolades that have come his way.

“Wisden is one of the most respected voices of world cricket and being named by them as one of the best cricketers aged 23 or under is a tremendous achievement.

“It is also highly gratifying that we have two other well deserving cricketers in the top 10 in Aiden Markram and Lungi Ngidi. This speaks volumes for our talent development pipeline and holds promise of a very bright future for our cricket,” concluded Mr. Moroe.

What a bowler and athlete this guy is.

Test record speaks for itself, in ODIs he just needs to add bit more variety to his bowling but has all other basis covered. If he create impact in the world tournaments than he can really differentiate himself from other SA greats like Donald and Steyn.

Hopefully our young fast bowlers can take inspiration from him and work on their confidence, fitness and consistency.

Kudos to [MENTION=141557]Chief Destroyer[/MENTION] as well for putting words to Kagiso's glaring potential in 2016 and creating a well deserved thread.

Can't wait to see him in a WC.

A worthy successor to a storied SA pace bowling lineage of re-admission greats; Donald, Steyn, Pollock, Ntini, Rabada.

I think Rabada has struggled since the Aussie series. He is lacking rhythm, and something is not right.

This was probably his best performance of this season. Really struggled even against Pak.

Best young fast bowler currently. He, Bumrah, and Cummins are ushering in a new era of pace bowlers.

Stress fracture of back .
Horrible injury for sportsmen especially fast bowlers. I'm glad that Bumrah is being rested methodically. While Rabada just keeps on playing every game SA plays.

Horrible injury for sportsmen especially fast bowlers. I'm glad that Bumrah is being rested methodically. While Rabada just keeps on playing every game SA plays.

CSA are not showing the kind of restraint they showed with a young dale Steyn who had hardly played any cricket across formats at the age of 24. I always felt they rushed Rabada in too quick and are now bowling him into the ground.

CSA are not showing the kind of restraint they showed with a young dale Steyn who had hardly played any cricket across formats at the age of 24. I always felt they rushed Rabada in too quick and are now bowling him into the ground.

Doesn't make sense why they're doing this? Rabada is easily their most prized possession and asset and they should be managing and nurturing his development as he grows in experience. It's clear that his performance in the last 2 Test series vs Pakistan and Sri Lanka, though the numbers may suggest otherwise, was lacking in spirit and lethality of what you'd expect from the no 1 strike bowler in Cricket.

‘If someone needs advice, I’m always there’ – Rabada

Delhi Capitals are one of the most exciting teams in the Indian Premier League, banking almost exclusively on youth over experience.

They have used seven players aged 25 or under, including two teenagers – Nepalese leg-spinner Sandeep Lamichanne, and India opener Prithvi Shaw – and four of that seven have been among the six who have played every game for them this season

It means that some youngsters have been thrust into leadership positions, and while there’s been a certain amount of learning on the job, as evidenced by a 3-3 win/loss record, there are also signs that the players are better off for it. Delhi captain Iyer, at 24 years old a relative veteran, started the competition with two scores below 20, but has since come to the party with four consecutive innings above 25.

His 50-ball 67 against Royal Challengers Bangalore was the knock of an old stager, negotiating some difficult conditions and marshalling the chase of a middling total. “Tough pitch to bat on, I wanted to play positively,” he explained after the game. “I bank a lot on my cut shots, and I need to wait for those balls to play them. I wanted to manoeuvre the ball, and keep the singles coming.”

The signs are he’s coming on as skipper too. “There’s big satisfaction when you win a game,” he said. “The atmosphere in the dressing room and hotel is really good. I'm doing alright as a captain, I want to maintain it.”

Another Delhi youngster, Kagiso Rabada, also impressed, claiming 4/21 to keep RCB to 149/8, and eventually sealing the Player of the Match award. “Today my lines worked for me, and I'm glad,” he said. “On a daily basis, you try to execute you simple skills. And not all the time does it work perfectly, but you should try to get it in a decent area. As a player, I believe I have a responsibility at the top and at the death.”

While in-game responsibility comes easy to Rabada, fulfilling leadership roles is less natural. But he too is learning to give back. “To be honest, I don't see myself as a leader in the bowling group,” he said. “But if someone needs advice or needs my help, I'm always there.”

If an example of the vagaries and fluctuations of captaincy was needed, it could be found in RCB’s skipper, Virat Kohli. Vastly experienced as India’s skipper, he has nevertheless led his side to six straight losses to kick off their IPL season, leaving their chances of making the play-offs hanging by a thread.

“We just weren't good on the given day,” he said. “That's the whole story of RCB this season. We've asked the boys to take responsibility. It hasn't happened so far, and that's the reality. The team needs to relax, whatever's in front of us, we need to accept it. We want to enjoy it as a team, otherwise we won't be able to play any good cricket.”

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1171704

Cape Town - The last thing the Proteas needed was Kagiso Rabada, potentially their biggest weapon going into the 2019 World Cup, injured.

Yet, that is what they have been dished up as their tournament plans continue to be plagued by niggles and fitness concerns in the fast bowling ranks.

The extent of the 23-year-old's back strain will only be known after further medical examination when he returns to South Africa on Friday, but whichever way you look at it, this is not good news for South Africa.

Even with everyone fit, Rabada holds the key for the Proteas in London.

Nobody in world cricket has taken more international wickets than Rabada since the completion of the 2015 World Cup, and he is undoubtedly the trump card in a Proteas side that is placing a lot of emphasis on its fast bowling.

International wickets since 2015 World Cup (Tests, ODIs and T20Is):

1. Kagiso Rabada (SA) - 306

2. Trent Boult (NZ) - 277

3. Ravi Ashwin (India) - 268

4. Mitchell Starc (Aus) - 235

5. Moeen Ali (Eng) - 226

With Dale Steyn suffering from an injured shoulder and Lungi Ngidi (side strain) and Anrich Nortje (shoulder) having only just returned to competitive bowling, the Proteas have none of their four premier fast bowlers fully fit with just two weeks to go until the plane leaves for England.

In the cases of Rabada and Steyn, the IPL has struck.

Steyn lasted just two games for Royal Challengers Bangalore, so one can't suggest that his injury was down to the demands of the tournament, but Rabada's case is different.

Yes, it may 'only' be T20 cricket and, yes, bowlers 'only' bowl four overs, but if you speak to the players who are part of the IPL many will tell you just how much it takes out of them.

It is not just the cricket and the training, but also the relentless humidity and the constant travel demands that accompany cricket's most lucrative roadshow. It all contributes towards a physically, mentally and emotionally draining six-week tournament.

Another factor that often escapes unnoticed is just how frenzied the entire experience is. The Indian fans are borderline hysterical, especially when it comes to catching a glimpse of the international superstars on offer.

It means that, for the players, there are no quiet nights out and very little down time. It is chaos, start to finish, and it takes its toll.

Before missing Wednesday's clash against the Chennai Super Kings, Rabada had played in all 12 matches for the Delhi Capitals in IPL 2019, claiming 25 wickets in the process to top those charts.

Perhaps Rabada should have played less cricket in the IPL this year, but when looking at his international workload, it is easy to see that he was overworked long before this year's IPL.

Rabada made his Test debut towards the end of 2015, so 2016 was his first full year as a regular Protea.

An instant superstar, Rabada has been ever-present for the national side in all formats since then. In fact, no fast bowler in world cricket has bowled more than Rabada since January 1 2016.

Most international balls bowled since January 1 2019 (Test, ODI, T20I):

1. Nathan Lyon (Aus) - 11 340

2. Moeen Ali (Eng) - 10 198

3. Ravi Ashwin (Ind) - 10 090

4. Kagiso Rabada (SA) - 9 635

5. Ravindra Jadeja (Ind) - 9 289

Rabada is the only fast bowler on that top-five list, with the other four all spinners. It is a statistic that could be used to justify the notion that Rabada has been overworked at international level since breaking onto the scene as a 19-year-old.

New Zealand's Trent Boult is the next fast bowler on that list having notched up 8 776 deliveries since the beginning of 2016, followed by Australia's Josh Hazlewood with 8 437.

Of all the fast bowlers going to the World Cup, Sri Lanka's Suranga Lakmal is next with 7 453 deliveries to his name, followed by Mitchell Starc (7 288), Mohammed Amir (6 982), Tim Southee (6 933) and Jason Holder (6 882).

India's Jasprit Bumrah, considered the World Cup's major fast bowling threat alongside rabada, has bowled just 5 840 balls across all formats in that time frame.

With 101 international matches across all formats in the last three years, Rabada is easily the most worked fast bowler in the world.

The word 'precautionary' was used by Cricket South Africa in describing the decision to recall Rabada from the IPL on Friday.

Hopefully, that's all it is.

But if, in a worst-case scenario, the Proteas lose their biggest weapon on the eve of their most important challenge since Rabada became a Proteas, then a look back at the last three and a bit years might help explain why.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Proteas/has-rabada-been-overbowled-what-the-stats-say-20190503

Champion bowler who averaged 56 and 41 in the 2 test series he played in India, played 6 tests here so a decent sample size. Umesh and Shami averaged in the low 10s.

Champion bowler who averaged 56 and 41 in the 2 test series he played in India, played 6 tests here so a decent sample size. Umesh and Shami averaged in the low 10s.

Got exposed in Asia.

Very few Non Asian fast bowlers have been great in Asia.

This is why Dale Steyn is GOAT. He rocked in India and Pakistan on flat pitches.

Got exposed in Asia.

Very few Non Asian fast bowlers have been great in Asia.

This is why Dale Steyn is GOAT. He rocked in India and Pakistan on flat pitches.

Yet we are made to believe by the grandpas here that Lillee's 100+ average in Pakistan was an anomaly and that he would have rocked in Ind/Pak. He may have, but they always say that with 100% confidence.

Bowls too wide of the crease and his length is a little too short to be successful in India. Steyn was closer to the stumps , rapid through the air and full with the new ball, swinging it away and cutting it back in with the added threat of his skiddy bouncer. You need to be constantly at the batsman to be successful in India.

Like :rabada2, DK Lillee had an exceptional record in England and Australia. Goes on to show that success on Aussie roads doesn't translate to success on flat Indian pitches.

But different standards I guess, desi players are children of a lesser God. Barry Richards with his 4 home tests is a far greater batsman than Gavaskar, Greg Chappell greater than Sachin despite not proving himself on turning tracks, while Lillee is a greater bowler than the 2 Ws despite never bothering to show up in Ind/Pak.

No need to discuss the failures of Rabada, Philander, Kock, Faf in India but never stop cribbing about Ashwin, Jadeja, Yasir, Pujara, Younis, Misbah, Shakib and their overseas showings. 1 failure by Kohli in England and that was the only point of discussion in world cricket for the next 4 years LOL.

Like :rabada2, DK Lillee had an exceptional record in England and Australia. Goes on to show that success on Aussie roads doesn't translate to success on flat Indian pitches.

But different standards I guess, desi players are children of a lesser God. Barry Richards with his 4 home tests is a far greater batsman than Gavaskar, Greg Chappell greater than Sachin despite not proving himself on turning tracks, while Lillee is a greater bowler than the 2 Ws despite never bothering to show up in Ind/Pak.

No need to discuss the failures of Rabada, Philander, Kock, Faf in India but never stop cribbing about Ashwin, Jadeja, Yasir, Pujara, Younis, Misbah, Shakib and their overseas showings. 1 failure by Kohli in England and that was the only point of discussion in world cricket for the next 4 years LOL.

Scrutiny is good, because after Indian players overcome their hurdle its satisfying, Ofcourse by then the posters have changed the goal post but still.

Also Indian media hypes Indian players a lot, like how some hype old English and Aussie players..

All Indians started to make him mediocre,stats does not show the picture he bowled well in this tour but there were no one to support him when you have trundlers like Philander and inexperienced bowler like Nortge.
He was highest wicket taker from South Africa in this series.
He is not a failure in Asia,he bowled well in Sri Lanka last year.

Back