[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Rohit 'the Hitman' Sharma - Discussion Thread

Romali_rotti

Senior T20I Player
Runs
I know there has been another thread about him, but he looked similar to INZI today did anyone notice ? I know I said Moyo before but this guy definetly has the "Pakistani Elegance"...

he is apparantly the next big mumbai batsman after sunny and sachin.

AK600 said:
he is apparantly the next big mumbai batsman after sunny and sachin.

Dunno about that. but he def resembles the Pakistani counterparts than his Indian ones in elegance anyway..

Romali_rotti said:
Dunno about that. but he def resembles the Pakistani counterparts than his Indian ones in elegance anyway..
doesnt matter to me as long as he wears the tricolour and plays :)

Kid is going to go far, I can feel it and plus BCCI is not as stupid has PCB to wreck a talented batsmens career like they did with Salman Butt. Well lets hope so anyway.

Romali_rotti said:
Kid is going to go far, I can feel it and plus BCCI is not as stupid has PCB to wreck a talented batsmens career like they did with Salman Butt. Well lets hope so anyway.
tbh i dont quite get whats on with butt. he only seems to bat well against india.

as for sharma, its not just about bcci, but also about past players backing him up.

tendulkar for one seems hell bent on just enjoying the game without caring much for the result and grooming the youngsters at the same time.

before the tour started, i said india would lose the series. but it will be considered a victory if india can find atleast 2 players to keep in the squad.

india has found 2 - rohit and ishant, and the series isnt entirely over yet

This is the first series ive seen this kid play. Looks very promising. India seem to have some really good young players coming thru for the future.

AK600 said:
tbh i dont quite get whats on with butt. he only seems to bat well against india.
as for sharma, its not just about bcci, but also about past players backing him up.

tendulkar for one seems hell bent on just enjoying the game without caring much for the result and grooming the youngsters at the same time.

before the tour started, i said india would lose the series. but it will be considered a victory if india can find atleast 2 players to keep in the squad.

india has found 2 - rohit and ishant, and the series isnt entirely over yet

Disagree I have seen how Salman played here in AUS, he was awesome and that 100 he made in SA playing for the international 11 or something similar ? was elegance personfied. The kid could have been great but sadly he is a Pakistani player managed by PCB.

Last edited:
Romali_rotti said:
Disagree I have seen how Salman played here in AUS, he was awesome and that 100 he made in SA playing for the international 11 or something similar ? was elegance personfied. The kid could have been great but sadly he is a Pakistani player managed by PCB.
i havent seen him play, unless against india.

but most of his centuries are against india if im not wrong. if u remove india's runs from his career tally, his average becomes abysmal - thats according to rameez raja i believe.

AK600 said:
i havent seen him play, unless against india.

but most of his centuries are against india if im not wrong. if u remove india's runs from his career tally, his average becomes abysmal - thats according to rameez raja i believe.

Should check out his last OZ tour he was quite awesome.

Was very impressed with this guy from word go. His 50* on debut was an excellent innings.

Good on you young man :19: !!!

truth is truth, rohit is far ahead among his peers in style and technique....

he is a very good batsmen. the ball comes onto his bat extremely well!

Romali_rotti said:

He is still young and on the come back trail. He scored 290 odd today against Akthar, sohail tanvir & yasir arafat. For now he is assured the opening spot in Test cricket at least and with confidence will regularly open in the odi.

Agreed, he was a revelation in Aus during 2005 -hardly anyone scored as many as him

I told you so. This is my thread on 6th Feb about him...

" I saw him play in the 1st match between India and Australia in the CB series. He only scored 29 of 43 balls but under pressure after 2 quick wickets. He hit five 4's, which included some splendid drives and cuts. There is an air of confidence and class about him which I have not seen in any upcoming player so far. "

Maybe not the next Tendulkar....but certainly the next big thing

Last edited:
I dunno what is that pakistan elegance.. He definitely has Mumbai trademark shots. He is a hardcore Mumbai product.

bump...did any one watch his innings today? good batting or just poor bowling?

he is certainly one of my favorite young batsmen.

In a thread a while ago where we were discussing the great batsman for the next ten years, I mentioned his name and I actually meant it. The guy has immense talent; what I like most about him is that he is so assured at the crease and has so much time to play the ball, which is always the sign of a top quality batsman. I think he will find himself a spot in the test match line-up as well, what with, some of the veterans nearing retirement. Lets just say... I'm going to keep an eye out on him and chart his progress.

Saw him today - and it was a great innings. The opening post mentions Inzi, and in terms of this innings it was very much similar. Wickets falling around him, he came in at quite a low score (about 50 for 5 or something), played patiently for a while. Then blasted some sixes and well timed fours. Murdered Maharoof in one over - and lead his team to a respectable score at least.

Good innings, and a good young player.

For someone who is just 20, his composure is staggering. Seriously, guys like Afridi need to learn a thing or two about batting in tough situations from him.

jackal786 said:
I dunno what is that pakistan elegance.. He definitely has Mumbai trademark shots. He is a hardcore Mumbai product.
Exactly ! His straight drives and cover drives personify that. Pakistani batsmen dont play as straight as him. Atleast not these days ! He is a through and through Mumbai product.

His high elbow and stance actually remind me of Dravid. Even the late cuts on deliveries that are not that short are reminiscient of the Wall. But on many other ocasions, he goes much harder at the ball.

PlanetPakistan said:
bump...did any one watch his innings today? good batting or just poor bowling?

he is certainly one of my favorite young batsmen.

well the bowling was very good today.....chargers scored 52 of the last 3 overs...thanks largely to rohit..brilliant innings under pressure...took 27 of a mahroof over who in the end mahroof had figures og 4 overs-36 runs-2 wkts ....

I thought that this guy will be special. From his 50 against pakistan in one anonymous ODI. He spots the ball very early, gets into position very early and plays the ball very late. Whats more, he's seems to be extremely mature with his shot selection these days.

He's a very good prospect & got immense talent. Have seen him building innings for India quite a lot lately.

The two sharmas will rule indian cricket at least for the next 10 yrs. Fans like me won't miss sachin so much!

Keep it up Sharma :14: :19:

TruSachFan said:
The two sharmas will rule indian cricket at least for the next 10 yrs. Fans like me won't miss sachin so much!

Keep it up Sharma :14: :19:

This from truSachFan :9:

f.b.m said:
I thought that this guy will be special. From his 50 against pakistan in one anonymous ODI. He spots the ball very early, gets into position very early and plays the ball very late. Whats more, he's seems to be extremely mature with his shot selection these days.
The first time i saw him was in the T20 world cup and he looked like a high class batsman.

It is his high backlift which reminds me of the Pak batsmen, I dont think I have seen any Indian batsmen with high backlifts like Sharma..

Romali_rotti said:
It is his high backlift which reminds me of the Pak batsmen, I dont think I have seen any Indian batsmen with high backlifts like Sharma..

Yuvraj singh goes even higher ala Lara.

Check this for a backlift

25jjxqo.jpg

PlanetPakistan said:
The first time i saw him was in the T20 world cup and he looked like a high class batsman.
Oh yes, I just realized that the T20 took place BEFORE the anonymous ODI. I cant tell the difference of one odi from another.

Watching Yuvraj never game me an impression of the Pak counterparts however watching Sharma especially in Sydney, he showed lots of similarity to INZI in regards to the way some shots looked with a touch of Moyo..

PlanetPakistan said:
Any one watching his innings today?

Seems to be another brilliant performance

I don't think I have ever cheered on an Indian like I did with Rohit today! He was magnificent and was hitting boundaries at will.

Yep, great batsmanship.

Along with Gambhir, he looks like to be batsman Indian fans would rely upon once the bigger guns departs.

two words: CLASSY PLAYER.

he is teriffic to watch and hope he goes on to entertain us for many years to come although not against pakistan..lol

Glad even Pakistanis agree that he is a class act...just admire his straight drives and pull shots..good all round player.He and Raina are our futuer in the batting department.

Seems a very talented batsman with a big future ahead of him. I worry about all of the limited overs cricket he's playing though; all this bang bang won't help him in the long run.

Lambu said:
Glad even Pakistanis agree that he is a class act...just admire his straight drives and pull shots..good all round player.He and Raina are our futuer in the batting department.

i have a theory...If pakistanis here do not fully acknowledge the talent and skill of an indian player...MEANS that player has got the talent and skills..

and if Pakistanis here acknowledge the talent of an indian player...means he is truly talented...and there is none in pakistan to match the player.. :))

BUT one way or the other... winners are decided on the field and not on a MB..

we have always had the upper hand in batting... Now even bowling is the envy of our infidel neighbours...

Rohit was initially dismissed as a flash in the pan.. now his consistency is winning him admirers.

Rohit, Ishant, Raina, Gony - all great prospects !

nice to c pakistan fans support an indian player

Great prospect!

Gambhir, Sehwag, Raina, Yuvi, Rohith, Dhoni can form a decent batting line up for the limited overs version. Whether they can go onto become good test batsmen is a completely different question. Other than Sehwag, none of them have hardly proved themselves in that format.

Surya said:
i have a theory...If pakistanis here do not fully acknowledge the talent and skill of an indian player...MEANS that player has got the talent and skills..

and if Pakistanis here acknowledge the talent of an indian player...means he is truly talented...and there is none in pakistan to match the player.. :))

BUT one way or the other... winners are decided on the field and not on a MB..

we have always had the upper hand in batting... Now even bowling is the envy of our infidel neighbours...

:19: you hit the nail right on the head!!

amit said:
nice to c pakistan fans support an indian player
It's not necessarily support for a particular player, it's more an appreciation of talent. That appreciation grows if the player makes the most of their talent - whether the player goes the Farhat way, or the Chanderpaul way. For Sharma's sake, lets hope it goes the latter way.

Another quality knock under pressure by young sharma. Looks like hes got a bright career ahead of him and may become an indian crickter star and icon for the next decade or so!!

invincible said:
Great prospect!

Gambhir, Sehwag, Raina, Yuvi, Rohith, Dhoni can form a decent batting line up for the limited overs version. Whether they can go onto become good test batsmen is a completely different question. Other than Sehwag, none of them have hardly proved themselves in that format.

Great choice, except Yuvi... bring in more deserving players like Yusuf Pathan or Badrinath or Abhishek Nayar or even Shikar Dhawan.

How long are we gonna put up with this thick headed dude only becoz of the 6-sixers deal ? He is a lousy fielder now as well.

I think Badrinath deserves his due - excellent fielder and great striker of the ball.

yuvraj is the premier one day player barring sachin.Maybe rohit will have a thing or to say about it in a few years from now and raina will be in the mix as well.

Rohit just toys with the bowling apart from doing all the basics well.

he has to be the first to come into the test team.can't udnerstand why he was poor last season . he must use the currenrt season to work on building an innings.

netlurker said:
he must use the currenrt season to work on building an innings.

and i dare say he is on the right path...his planning has been top class especially how he picks a spot to hit during the death overs...just perfect.

I absolutely loved his fighting innings today :27: .

This guy has got 'some' talent :14: !!

He sure got a class and is an amazing batsman. I am really impressed by his temperament and timing. He's probably going to be the next big thing for India.

switchblade said:
Great choice, except Yuvi... bring in more deserving players like Yusuf Pathan or Badrinath or Abhishek Nayar or even Shikar Dhawan.

How long are we gonna put up with this thick headed dude only becoz of the 6-sixers deal ? He is a lousy fielder now as well.

I think Badrinath deserves his due - excellent fielder and great striker of the ball.
I dont rate him purely on the T20's success. I rated him before that as well. Before his recent fall in form, he won the Man of the Series award for 2 or 3 ODI series against top teams like Pakistan and South Africa. His fielding will surely come back. It seems lousy because of his inefficiency to move sideways quickly. He badly needs some work done on his knee and once its patched up, I am sure he will come back to his old self.

The players whom you mentioned are not worthy of an international call. Once they face quality attacks around the world, their batting faults will be exposed. They are not as talented as Yuvi nor do they have his craftsmanship. I do know that he is not as determined as a few others but his talent well and truly makes up for it. If he can continue performing like he did an year or so ago, I have no complaints about his off-field antics.

netlurker said:
yuvraj is the premier one day player barring sachin.Maybe rohit will have a thing or to say about it in a few years from now and raina will be in the mix as well.

he has to be the first to come into the test team.can't udnerstand why he was poor last season . he must use the currenrt season to work on building an innings.
He is not a finished product as far as the tests are concerned. His counterparts (Pujara, Tiwary) have performed better than him in the domestic circuit in the longer version. He will surely learn and become a very good player, and of that I have no doubts.

He's a pretty good young player. With a bit more consistency he could be a mainstay in the Indian middle order for ODIs at least. Haven't seen him play Tests yet so I can't comment on his abilities in the longer form of the game, but the Indian brains trust should be looking to give him more exposure to the five day game in coming months.

OZGOD said:
He's a pretty good young player. With a bit more consistency he could be a mainstay in the Indian middle order for ODIs at least. Haven't seen him play Tests yet so I can't comment on his abilities in the longer form of the game, but the Indian brains trust should be looking to give him more exposure to the five day game in coming months.

dont think they will

badrinaths higher in the pecking order

netlurker said:

:))) :)))

invincible said:
I dont rate him purely on the T20's success. I rated him before that as well. Before his recent fall in form, he won the Man of the Series award for 2 or 3 ODI series against top teams like Pakistan and South Africa. His fielding will surely come back. It seems lousy because of his inefficiency to move sideways quickly. He badly needs some work done on his knee and once its patched up, I am sure he will come back to his old self.

The players whom you mentioned are not worthy of an international call. Once they face quality attacks around the world, their batting faults will be exposed. They are not as talented as Yuvi nor do they have his craftsmanship. I do know that he is not as determined as a few others but his talent well and truly makes up for it. If he can continue performing like he did an year or so ago, I have no complaints about his off-field antics.

Dude,

Yuvi's weaknesses have been repeatedly exposed against raw pace and swing in Australia.. he's just getting by due to hand eye and power shots.

You pass out judgments against young players and condemn them as "untalented" as if only Yuvi is your savior/knight in shining armor.

Yuvi failed so horribly in the true test of batsmen's grit - fast pitches of ozland.. he averaged worse than even Kumble in tests... failed miserably in ODIs as well.

Of course, he'z got an excuse - dodgy knee :)) he'll always have an excuse rite..

So, in order to accomodate his "knee problem" you want the team to lose matches now ?

The typical Indian and sub-continental mentality is of HERO worship.. we worship our movie stars and cricket players even if its detrimental to our team.

Screw dat, Yuvi isnt a great player by any measure - his luck was running for too long, now he is out of it.. still we will cling on to him.. until he prolly turns 40, we'll keep lickin his behind coz of his so-called "infinite potential" :)) :))

netlurker said:

OMG, thats the funniest $hyt I ever heard.. and I bet in your illusionary world Cats have puppies, Jews love Palestinians and Madonna is a Virgin :))) :))) :)))

DHONI183 said:
I absolutely loved his fighting innings today :27: .

This guy has got 'some' talent :14: !!

Can we expect a change in name from Dhoni183 to Rohit183?? :21:

Megadeth said:
Can we expect a change in name from Dhoni183 to Rohit183?? :21:

Of course, but for that he will have to change his name and everything to Dhoni and then score 183* :D ....... Otherwise, forget it :11: .

One thing that is noticeable about his batting is just how much time he has to play his shots.

Looks like a decent batsman.

Another fifty for him and becomes the highest run-getter of the tournament :14: !!! I loved it :27: !!

Missed most of his innings in the tournament so far but from the very little that i have watched he has looked awesome!

Man of the tournament so far?

I believe he is the most talented indian batsman... i would go as far to say that he is the most talented batsman in the world at the moment...

Congrats india for unearthing another star ..

aabbasi said:
I believe he is the most talented indian batsman... i would go as far to say that he is the most talented batsman in the world at the moment...

Has this guy played even a single Test match? How on earth can you call him the most talented batsman in the world, then?

Anyone can score runs in T20 cricket - big deal. Even in T20, Shaun Marsh has looked far, far more impressive than him.

In Australia Rohit hardly scored a run in the ODIs. That's where it counts - against good bowlers away from home.

Don't get me wrong - the guy has got some ability, but guys like Shaun Marsh, Nasir Jamshed amongst others look better. Let's not exaggerate and call him the most "talented batsman in the world".

cars112 said:
Has this guy played even a single Test match? How on earth can you call him the most talented batsman in the world, then?

Anyone can score runs in T20 cricket - big deal. Even in T20, Shaun Marsh has looked far, far more impressive than him.

In Australia Rohit hardly scored a run in the ODIs. That's where it counts - against good bowlers away from home.

Don't get me wrong - the guy has got some ability, but guys like Shaun Marsh, Nasir Jamshed amongst others look better. Let's not exaggerate and call him the most "talented batsman in the world".

You don't need some players to play test matches to see how good they are. The kind of time this guy has on his hands is unbelievable.

I would suggest that you watch some of his shots.. Besides who else is competing against him for best young talent. No one...

MalikBrother said:
This guy is indeed next Inzimam-Ul-Haq.

:))) :))) :))) :)))

Please don't insult the great man. How can you compare a guy with a Test average of 50 and 25 centuries with someone who can't even get into his country's Test team? Seriously.

aabbasi said:
You don't need some players to play test matches to see how good they are. The kind of time this guy has on his hands is unbelievable.

Only in India are they so obsessed with T20 cricket. The rest of the world considers Test cricket as the pinnacle of the game. So I'd take issue with your statement that "you don't need some players to play tests to see how good they are".

aabbasi said:
Besides who else is competing against him for best young talent. No one...

Nasir Jamshed? Shaun Marsh? Also don't underestimate Mohammad Ashraful of Bangladesh, though he needs to become consistent. Watch out for Ahmed Shahzad as well, he will be a real gem for us. Alastair Cook averages 45 in tests also

i read on cricinfo that he is the next tendulkar, now he is the next inzi, next thing he might be the next bradman....lol

Back