[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Rohit 'the Hitman' Sharma - Discussion Thread

Of the upcoming Indian young batsmen, by far my favorite. Seems like most Indian PPers don't rate him.

we love him too khabri bhai, bss gussa aata hai when he doesn't do justice to his talent !

i hope this isnt one of those once-in-a-blue-moon innings from rohit. he scored 66 vs aus cb series 2008 and 50 vs saf in durban and 75 vs aus on fast barbados track.
but he hasnt kicked on from there.
lets hope he does now.

Rohit played a very matured innings, he kept the pace up all the time and the runrate was always in check. This guy is in the mould of Laxman, plays with so much elegance. He seems to have plenty of time to play, and fluent on both back and front foot.

The only big question is his temperament . He seems to me a very arrogant and angry person, and seems to think venting anger/ showing angry emotions is a sign for aggression. If he can keep this bad quality in check, he can go places. No question about his talent, you can judge players on how much time they have when they play bowlers, this guy has that extra time to play bowlers.

All the best to Rohit and hope he becomes a calmer and cool tempered person.

Rohit played a very matured innings, he kept the pace up all the time and the runrate was always in check. This guy is in the mould of Laxman, plays with so much elegance. He seems to have plenty of time to play, and fluent on both back and front foot.

The only big question is his temperament . He seems to me a very arrogant and angry person, and seems to think venting anger/ showing angry emotions is a sign for aggression. If he can keep this bad quality in check, he can go places. No question about his talent, you can judge players on how much time they have when they play bowlers, this guy has that extra time to play bowlers.

All the best to Rohit and hope he becomes a calmer and cool tempered person.

That's the thing, he has the aesthetics and the power. For someone to waste all that for so long!! No wonder we are all pissed off at him.

I still think RS should be opening the innings in ODI, he has a solid technique and big hitting ability, wayyy too much talent to wasted all down the order.... lol I cant get over his Inzi type expressions.........

I still think RS should be opening the innings in ODI, he has a solid technique and big hitting ability, wayyy too much talent to wasted all down the order.... lol I cant get over his Inzi type expressions.........
yes that might also give him time to play himself in . I have also seen he struggles early against spin

Lets hope Nohit doesnt go to his usual self of 2-3 fab innings followed by 10 crappy ones

Avg of just 30 after 60 odd matches is disastrous by Indian standards.

On a side note time to give dhawan the boot. Put YP/Nohit at top at bring in Manoj Tiwary. Also rest Munna and bring in Ishant . Ashwin should betried as well for bhajji but that wont happen

Yep, now that the series is won, Tiwary should get a chance in the line up. Parthiv has done quite well so far and Dhawan (he shouldn't have been there in the first place) will have to make way for him.

ishant and vinay could replace praveen and munaf. ashwin for bhajji. saha could get a go at some time.

Agree that Tiwari should be given a chance. Dhawan is being exposed at this level, was never comfortable for most of his innings and he was lucky to get a nod ahead of others in the squad.

Great to see, Rohit and Mishra doing consistently well, if they continue this form, in my view they will be joint man-of- the-series award winners.

Of the upcoming Indian young batsmen, by far my favorite. Seems like most Indian PPers don't rate him.
I still don't rate him. Let him conquer better bowling attacks and may be, I’ll start believing that probably fatty might be some good.

That succeeding in IPL isn’t good enough for him.

That India cap still matters most to him.

That he might someday replace either of currently playing greats.

he scored 66 vs aus cb series 2008
Now that was a sublime innings, a truly special innings in circumstances, playing all the shots in the book.

That innings was what made the world take notice of him, notwithstanding his innings against SA in T20 WC in '07. Ian Chappell especially was effusive in his praise of not so fatty Rohit Sharma then and you know how tough is to please him for a rookie bat.

Very similar to Amla. Bashing Ireland today..goes missing against proper sides. :amla

this is an example of stats not telling the whole story if there ever was a prime example

To anyone who follows the Indian domestics.. has Rohit ever opened before coming on to the international stage? Or was Dhoni's masterstroke to promote him about two years ago the first time he did so?

Regardless, his transformation as a player after the promotion has been like a fairy tale. From being an Umar Akmal type unfulfilled tailunt in the middle order to a top class opener in ODIs.

To anyone who follows the Indian domestics.. has Rohit ever opened before coming on to the international stage? Or was Dhoni's masterstroke to promote him about two years ago the first time he did so?

Regardless, his transformation as a player after the promotion has been like a fairy tale. From being an Umar Akmal type unfulfilled tailunt in the middle order to a top class opener in ODIs.

i find it funny how ppl dont even contemplate Fletcher having a role in any strategy or tactic india employs :))

its almost as if he didnt exist :)))

Well, so far he has worked only against minnows. To prove his worth he needs to score against better bowling sides

i find it funny how ppl dont even contemplate Fletcher having a role in any strategy or tactic india employs :))

its almost as if he didnt exist :)))

I have never heard about any interview or even statement from Fletcher. Neither i have heard players and former players talking about him, they all just talk about what dhoni should do.

Only tiime you see him is when India is batting, him sitting quitely emotionless amongst some unknown people.

He either works behind the curtains or really just takes his paycheck

When the going gets tough, Rohit goes missing.

Just wait and watch.

5 years down the line people will call the same Rohit ATG in ODIs :)facepalm:) and that's when people will realize how much the game has favoured batting so much so that Rohit too gets to average 50 with 85-90 SR.

Dhawan may be a hack but he has fight in him. But this Rohit....no. Has a few good knocks (MCG, a few in WI tri series but that's about it). Rest is all patta bashing.

I have always wondered why didn't Lara open the batting for his team more often?

His stats as opener is much better.

His role has diminished since Shastri came into the picture. He is probably happy collecting the fat paycheck.

Amla has balanced records and performs against every opposition.

My respect for that. I must say.

Amla >>>>>> Rohit (as of now)

Him being a bottler is different but gotta give credit where its due.

Will end his career with an average of 50 unless the ICC decides to get off its bum and makes some much needed changes to the ODI game in the bowlers favor.

Every second decent/very good batsman is averaging 45+ nowadays

Team BCCI would traditionally defeat big teams the hard way and would get upset by minnows. On the other hand, teams like South Africa and Sri Lanka would never lose to minnows because they had certified minnow bashers in their line ups.

Rohit Sharma is a much needed addition to the batting line of team BCCI. Team BCCI needs to be able to minnow sh weak oppositions if they want to rise to the top. :) Having Rohit Sharma in the lineup is an insurance against getting upset by minnows. The reason why people are no longer afraid of getting upset by Bangladesh in the QF has to do with the fact that team BCCI has Rohit Sharma in the team. :)

Team BCCI would traditionally defeat big teams the hard way and would get upset by minnows. On the other hand, teams like South Africa and Sri Lanka would never lose to minnows because they had certified minnow bashers in their line ups.

Rohit Sharma is a much needed addition to the batting line of team BCCI. Team BCCI needs to be able to minnow bash weak oppositions if they want to rise to the top. :) Having Rohit Sharma in the lineup is an insurance against getting upset by minnows. The reason why people are no longer afraid of getting upset by Bangladesh in the QF has to do with the fact that team BCCI has Rohit Sharma in the team. :)

Averages 33 at a SR below 70 away from the phattas of India. He isn't alone in this as Dhawan has a mediocre record outside of India as well.

However, not everyone can become a FTB and credit should be given where its due. Good job, Rohit.

Another example of extremely poor ODI player looking world class when they open . The likes of Rohit , Amla , Shezad etc wont avg more than 30 if they bat lower down the order .

The ultimate minnow basher, should have been a pakistani.

Another example of extremely poor ODI player looking world class when they open . The likes of Rohit , Amla , Shezad etc wont avg more than 30 if they bat lower down the order .

Rohit and Amla are world class Shehzad is mediocre.

Rohit and Amla are world class Shehzad is mediocre.

I dont think so .
None of them have the game to play outside the power plays . Some take advantage of this more than others . Swap Shezads position with Umer , I will bet Umers avg will spike by 10 runs and Shezads will not avg more than 25 .

Rohit and Dhawan have about the same skills, neither of them technically very sound - but Dhawan is mentally tougher. Rohit always chokes under unfavourable conditions.

I still think Dilshan is the best opener in the world because he's good under pressure.

I still think Dilshan is the best opener in the world because he's good under pressure.

I agree.

Awesome opener.

Mahela if he opens will be one of the best too. Clutch player and averages 44 with 85 SR in opening if I am not wrong.

I was surprised to see Thirimanne walk out with Dilshan in the last match. Mahela should open when there's a big total to chase, he can take better advantage of fielding restrictions than Thirimanne.

Amla has truly become a fantastic batsman in a format where many doubted him and some continue their doubts to this day. A future ATG and the top two on this list (when you strike out Sharma) are going to be my openers in an all-time ODI XI.

Needs to have a couple of outstanding knocks in this World Cup to really drive that point home.

Amla has truly become a fantastic batsman in a format where many doubted him and some continue their doubts to this day. A future ATG and the top two on this list (when you strike out Sharma) are going to be my openers in an all-time ODI XI.

Needs to have a couple of outstanding knocks in this World Cup to really drive that point home.

He dosent have outstanding knock in his whole career , so wont happen in this WC too . Give it up . Most people forget to pick him in the side even now , let alone all-time ( how can you be serious with this ? who wil take him over Gilly ? )

He dosent have outstanding knock in his whole career , so wont happen in this WC too . Give it up . Most people forget to pick him in the side even now , let alone all-time ( how can you be serious with this ? who wil take him over Gilly ? )

:facepalm:

He has had several outstanding knocks like the one against England in England, the one against Pakistan in the UAE and when he was the only man fighting for South Africa in an ODI against Sri Lanka. Just cause you haven't seen them, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Most people actually pick him, only you seem to be dead-set on underrating him at every opportunity. I'll take him over Gilly seeing how he is a better ODI batsman than him.

What an effort tonight.

Those sixes were awesome. Great hundred.

Scintillating century tonight. He's right up there among the most dangerous batsmen in the world.

Rohit Sharma is the new Mr.Dependable as far as ODIs are concerned. Quality knock against a quality attack of spin and pace.

Getting up there certainly with the likes of Sehwag as a FTB.

Again brilliant from Rohit.
Finally this guy is atleast justifying his talent in odi's

Stand and deliver.

Take a bow Tailunt bhaoi. Another hundred. :14: :14:

150 is pretty much the norm for him when gets past 50 in ODIs. His ability to score big is incredible.

Definitely the most dangerous batsman at the crease once he's set; de Villiers is more destructive but he gives you chances; Rohit is invincible.

150 is pretty much the norm for him when gets past 50 in ODIs. His ability to score big is incredible.

Definitely the most dangerous batsman at the crease once he's set; de Villiers is more destructive but he gives you chances; Rohit is invincible.

In India perhaps. Have yet to see him replicate this consistency abroad.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Did score 138 vs. Australia at the MCG. Yes consistency is lacking, but he's one dangerous batsman when he gets going.

Not like there are green tops in ODIs outside SC. He is a shoddy test player but in ODI, he is quality.

Is Rohit Sharma the only Indian Batsmen this series?

Looking at some of the performances this series.
I'm really finding it hard to call the other guys batsmen.
We saw the 2 t20's and now this odi's. Shambolic really.

I must say, Rohit is currently the best LOI opener in the Subcontinent ahead of Soumya, Dilshan, Dhawan, and ofcourse Tamim.

But Indian lower middle order is mediocre. Dhoni-Binny/patel aren't good enough these days

Said it before, we're going to lose all three formats this series.

We're terrible in bilateral LoIs in general.

This will be my team next game

Rohit
Dhawan
Kohli (C)
Rahane
Raina
Rayudu (WK)
Gurkeerat
Patel
Bhuvi
Mishra
Umesh

He is always a beast at home

Doesnt average 70 @ SR of 101 at home for nothing

Since Jan 2013, he averages 91 at SR of 110 in India. Absolute beast :))

Win the Test series even if you lose all the limited over matches. No one will remember these One day games in years to come. They are fun to watch but can be a lottery at times.

Back