[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Rohit 'the Hitman' Sharma - Discussion Thread

sohailalam said:
i read on cricinfo that he is the next tendulkar, now he is the next inzi, next thing he might be the next bradman....lol

No man, Bradman is nothing compared to this kid who slogged a few runs in a domestic T20 game!

:))) :))) :))) :)))

cars112 said:
guys like Shaun Marsh, Nasir Jamshed amongst others look better
what are their Test average? and how many centuries in tests?

Rohit deserves the hype imo.. he has been VERY consistent and like a rock in a shi££y team

cars112 said:
Has this guy played even a single Test match? How on earth can you call him the most talented batsman in the world, then?

Anyone can score runs in T20 cricket - big deal. Even in T20, Shaun Marsh has looked far, far more impressive than him.

In Australia Rohit hardly scored a run in the ODIs. That's where it counts - against good bowlers away from home.

Don't get me wrong - the guy has got some ability, but guys like Shaun Marsh, Nasir Jamshed amongst others look better. Let's not exaggerate and call him the most "talented batsman in the world".

Listen I dont know what drugs you are smoking but scoring 296 runs in Australia in 14 games with avg of 29 which included a glorious 70 against Australia giving support to SRT in Sydney during the first final giving India the victory is not a bad effort at all for a kid who is 20 odd years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Oh yeah another thing playing in Australia is where it counts right ? WELL WELL WELL, that is where your INZI has never showed up ;-) .

Last but not least Nasir WHO?????? :)) ...

Mate you are nothing but a sour grape who just cant achknowledge the fact an Indian player is doing well :26:

sohailalam said:
i read on cricinfo that he is the next tendulkar, now he is the next inzi, next thing he might be the next bradman....lol

Link to the article on cricinfo, or shut up.

cars112 said:
Only in India are they so obsessed with T20 cricket. The rest of the world considers Test cricket as the pinnacle of the game. So I'd take issue with your statement that "you don't need some players to play tests to see how good they are".

I suggest you go through posts carefully before replying. None of the posts you answered to are written by indians.

There's definetly talent. But one thing that I think is just as important or even more important than talent is having the audacity to play certain shots at certain times and he has a knack for pulling out a top-drawer shot out of practically nowhere, stunning the bowler, and leaving the spectators enthralled. And he's already showed that he can handle the pressure off a big game, and a big situation, all signs of a potential great batsman.

I really, really hope he plays the next Test match India plays.

Indiafan said:
Link to the article on cricinfo, or shut up.
sorry i have a life and
a) dont keep links to every article i read
b) go do the research yourself, i believe it was tony or geoff who said it.

:)

^i thought u were bullshitting :) but it seems it really was somewhere on cricinfo?

ill browse through cricinfo and try to find it

Amazing talent he is :14: :14: :14: !!!!

sohailalam said:
sorry i have a life and
a) dont keep links to every article i read
b) go do the research yourself, i believe it was tony or geoff who said it.

:)

Tony or Geoff are not indians BTW. I can claim i read that Sami was better than McGrath and Lee combined on Dawn news too without a link.

Tendulkar's ability was he had ample time to play his shots. So is this kid. It is impossible to find another 16 year old genius. Probably he will turn into different kind of player ala Dravid, Laxman at test level.

Indiafan said:
Tony or Geoff are not indians BTW. I can claim i read that Sami was better than McGrath and Lee combined on Dawn news too without a link.

in your words
please provide link to me saying tony/geoff/cricinfo is indian or....shut up

Tendulkar himself was asked after the match that is Rohit ready to take over from him. The point they were making was.. how he can take over the role of Tendulkar.. not how he can become another Tendulkar.

Just like Dravid, Laxman created own name for themselves i think Rohit will create a name for himself.

sohailalam said:
in your words
please provide link to me saying tony/geoff/cricinfo is indian or....shut up

Thats why I said, I can claim but I did not. Now you understand the importance of the link.

another thing that impresses me is his fielding

awesome fielder
the guy definitely has some talent though

Indiafan said:

please tell me which part of the bolded text is not a "claim".

and also, provide a link of my post where i said that they are indians.

if you can not comprehend the above two lines, then please go back to school.

thanks

He is a great talent with great potential, could be one of the best in a few years

Hari Sombar said:
He is a great talent with great potential, could be one of the best in a few years
Could be is the right word because his temperament and attitude needs to be changed drastically.We have seen him gifting away his wicket on multiple occasions not only during the IPL but also in the CB Australian Series... :boom:

Manish26 said:
Could be is the right word because his temperament and attitude needs to be changed drastically.We have seen him gifting away his wicket on multiple occasions not only during the IPL but also in the CB Australian Series... :boom:

he is just 20.....will improve as he gains experience.

Dont compare him to anyone - its obvious his batting has been shaped by many of the cricketers he watched growing up - given that in today's era we get to watch a lot more cricket, which is why we see glimpses or other greats in him. For me he is the modern proto type for a batsman. He has picked up on techniques used by other players such as inzi's ability to shuffle and play the ball late, sachin's ability to hit it straight etc - all of these greats played these shots well because they anticipate the bowling and get into position early.

A recent study in cricket noted that high calibre batsman dont pick up the ball while its in the air - they pick up the type of delivery, line and length from the bowlers run up, action and release. The study noted that these batsmen have 1000s of mental images of bowlers coming into bowl and by the way the bowler runs to the stumps, the angle of his body when he releases the ball and the wrist position they can predict the line and length by comparing what is happening in the present with their prior experience. I know it sounds far fetched but it makes sense because humans tend to react based on past information. Its just these batsmen's brains process this stuff much faster than the average joe or even an average batsman. And with modern television coverage, not only does the player have images from the balls he has faced but images from the matches he watches on TV.

In my opinion (not that my opinion counts for much) batsmen in the future are going to get better and better as they will have have larger pool of prior instances to predict what the ball is going to do before it leaves the bowlers hand.

Last edited:
gibster82 said:
Dont compare him to anyone - its obvious his batting has been shaped by many of the cricketers he watched growing up - given that in today's era we get to watch a lot more cricket, which is why we see glimpses or other greats in him. For me he is the modern proto type for a batsman. He has picked up on techniques used by other players such as inzi's ability to shuffle and play the ball late, sachin's ability to hit it straight etc - all of these greats played these shots well because they anticipate the bowling and get into position early.

A recent study in cricket noted that high calibre batsman dont pick up the ball while its in the air - they pick up the type of delivery, line and length from the bowlers run up, action and release. The study noted that these batsmen have 1000s of mental images of bowlers coming into bowl and by the way the bowler runs to the stumps, the angle of his body when he releases the ball and the wrist position they can predict the line and length by comparing what is happening in the present with their prior experience. I know it sounds far fetched but it makes sense because humans tend to react based on past information. Its just these batsmen's brains process this stuff much faster than the average joe or even an average batsman. And with modern television coverage, not only does the player have images from the balls he has faced but images from the matches he watches on TV.

In my opinion (not that my opinion counts for much) batsmen in the future are going to get better and better as they will have have larger pool of prior instances to predict what the ball is going to do before it leaves the bowlers hand.

.......and the bowlers will learn to bluff the batsman into thinking that they are bowling one kind of delivery but hurl down a totally different one. :26:

He probably should be in next two series at #4. I don't know who the number #3 is in Indian team now with Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly out next series and maybe Asia cup. Who is batting at #3 now or will in next two series? If he was playing in Australia what position was he batting? IS he a #3 batsman which half the time means be in before 5th over?

Last edited:
12thMan said:
He probably should be in next two series at #4. I don't know who the number #3 is in Indian team now with Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly out next series and maybe Asia cup. Who is batting at #3 now or will in next two series? If he was playing in Australia what position was he batting? IS he a #3 batsman which half the time means be in before 5th over?

#3 batsmen is ghambhir

opener will probably be pathan and sehwag

TruSachFan said:
#3 batsmen is ghambhir

opener will probably be pathan and sehwag

I think Sehwag and Uthappa. Uthappa opened with Sachin in the CB series finals with success.

MalikBrother said:
for some reasons, his inning always remind me of Inzimam inspite of being like thin :|
its not only you, there are many other pp ers over here who think the same :19:

TruSachFan said:
its not only you, there are many other pp ers over here who think the same :19:

Thank God, i am not only one who thinks so. Somehow, i always felt that all along and never felt like Misbah was next Inzimam , but atleast replacement for Pakistan Inzimam :D

Rohit Sharma is turning out to be another VVS Laxman. All style and class but it is not getting transalated into runs. Coming at number three,he consumes too many balls for my liking.

rohit is still a bit young.. he needs to build and then fire it up.. not just get thrown in to do a MANs Job.

Rohit should come in 4-5-6 .. until he gets more confident and expereicned

^^ my thoughts exactly,although he never got beaten he really struggled to make runs.Agree that he doesn't deserve the no.3 spot yet.Personally i feel he is not suited to play flourishngly against these attacks.Power hitters like Dhoni and Co are better.Rohit likes a bit of pace on the ball.Gambhir too wasn't at his best today.

He is struggling right now :boom: ..... But I´m still hopeful :) .

Give him a longer run in the team....

IND is not like PAK, they can afford his not-so-good performances for a while :) They have plenty of other batting. In the end, it will bring much good to IND

13.6 Anderson to RG Sharma, FOUR, that's possibly the shot of the day! Sharma had a bit of width to work with and he freed his arms to cut the ball with tremendous power behind point, Anderson continues to be expensive

19.4 Patel to RG Sharma, FOUR, Sharma stays in his crease and lofts the ball high over extra cover, superb timing and the placement is perfect

some how i dont get any cardiac arrest symptoms when Rohit sharma bats. sehwag always causes that to me and i develop that involuntarily while watching sachin at the crease.

Last edited:
22.4 Swann to RG Sharma, OUT, caught! Sharma moved back to cut the ball but it was too close to off stump, he got a thick edge and Prior took a sharp catch, England have broken through
RG Sharma c wicketkeeperPrior b Swann 28 (41b 3x4 0x6) SR: 68.29

This boy flatters to deceive

Another 20-odd today. How long before these pretty little knocks aren't considered enough by the selectors and fans?

Sheikh said:
Another 20-odd today. How long before these pretty little knocks aren't considered enough by the selectors and fans?

True. He plays some amazing shots and gets out cheaply.This is how he has been playing in the last 6 months or so

Virat Kohli should get a chance.He has played Mendis quite well in that ODI series against SL

You have to wonder about his temperament and how many more chances he will be given before he's dropped.

hes easily the 2nd best bat after Raina ..he will come good , am sure about it ....even if hes dropped for a few matches , it will only help him work on his shortcomings which are very few from what i have seen !

There is a lot of hype surrounding him ,may be due to his style ,which is quality .But not looking stable at the moment .

he is on the path of Laxman in ODIs. as like Laxman he too looks very elegant and stable, but can get out any time.

don't like his style but gotta admit...larka player hai

Sharma is a good player. I'm not just saying this because of the innings he played today. He has all the shots, plays according to the situation. Good temperament, can play orthodox shots and can improvise.

I don't know about test matches and ODI's but he is definetly a good 20-20 player. One for the future for India.

This thread proves that it takes time for young talent to impress at the big stage. I can't believe many have been calling for the heads of Shehzad, Talha, etc already. Sharma has already played 37 ODIs with a batting averages of 27. Lets give our guys some time before we judge them.

Lethal said:
Sharma is a good player. I'm not just saying this because of the innings he played today. He has all the shots, plays according to the situation. Good temperament, can play orthodox shots and can improvise.

I don't know about test matches and ODI's but he is definetly a good 20-20 player. One for the future for India.

hes anything but a T20 player ...technically the best indian youngster ..him along with Raina are going to be the two mainstays of indian team for years to come ...!

Rohit is good when he plays agressive... some people such as Yuvi, Raina, Yosuf are just supposed to play agressive..when Rohit is in defensive mood, his batting is quite pathetic..he should play his natural agressive game if he wanna be in the Indian team

Love watching the guy bat, very elegant and never seems rushed

confidence player...when he has confidence he plays well in that format...domestic 4 day and one day ,ipl , international t20...matter of time when he has confidence in odis and tests

AhmedZulfiqar said:
don't like his style but gotta admit...larka player hai

how can u not like his style
elegance personified

This bloke is pretty good eh. I remember Gilchrist mentioning that he has a good head on his shoulders.

OZGOD said:
This bloke is pretty good eh. I remember Gilchrist mentioning that he has a good head on his shoulders.
During the CB Series against Australia, Sachin mentioned the same after his innings of 70 or something.

Gilly made him the VC for Deccan Chargers and he stepped up to the responsibility. Many times, you could see him going to Gilly and suggesting something. Shows the kid doesn't shy away from responsibility.

I have always liked Rohit since I first saw him a couple of years back. It is great to see that he is starting to convert all that elegance and class into results now. Definitely one for the future, I hope to see him as a top order Test batsman for India sooner rather than later.

Why doesn't he play for mumbai indians in IPL?

invincible said:
During the CB Series against Australia, Sachin mentioned the same after his innings of 70 or something.

Gilly made him the VC for Deccan Chargers and he stepped up to the responsibility. Many times, you could see him going to Gilly and suggesting something. Shows the kid doesn't shy away from responsibility.

Gilly's a pretty good bloke to learn leadership from though. I wouldn't be surprised if Gilly made him captain next year and started to take a more back seat role in terms of succession planning for the Chargers.

Just saw the highlights of the warm up with pak, boy this kid looks like a shorter, skinnier verson of INZI; his lazy eleganceeeee and strokeplay has a lot of INZI in it...

maamrut said:
Coz Deccan Chargers pay him more. :)
His family is Andhra Pradeshi. :D Although he lives in Mumbai and plays for them in Ranjis, there are a few reasons for him to play for us (DC) :p

No idea what is wrong with Rohit Shrama when he plays for the country.Today I saw him hitting Shaun Tait for a straight six which not many batters of his age have managed to do and in the last IPL's he has taken apart bowlers like Brett Lee and Nannes.He has all the shots in the book and still not able to make it big in the international level

My top favorite modern day batsman since he has started playing international cricket. His batting style has natural class. Absolutely beautiful.

rohit sharma is the worst cricketer ever to play cricket. even chris martin of new zealand is a better batsman than him

rohit sharma cant play spin & cant play short-pitched bowling at all. its just that he hits 1-2 good looking 4s & thats it. no technique, no temperament, no ability to handle spin, no ability to handle short-pitched bowling. he has flopped miserably in the domestic matches this season(apart from 1 innings)

if u guys like him so much, then u can take him away in ur pakistan team, and even then rohit sharma is bad enough that he wont even stay in the bermuda & hong kong teams as a batsman

Gifted batsman , i really hope he starts making runs for India

132074.jpg

He means it now :)

Showed character and fighting spirit today, so pelased with this performance man. Good luck Rohit. Now that the ODI average finally touched 30s i hope it only gets higher

Missing out on world cup must not have gone down well with him

Of the upcoming Indian young batsmen, by far my favorite. Seems like most Indian PPers don't rate him.

Back