[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Rohit 'the Hitman' Sharma - Discussion Thread

Win the Test series even if you lose all the limited over matches. No one will remember these One day games in years to come. They are fun to watch but can be a lottery at times.

This. But the problem is South Africa will smash us in the tests as well.

There's only so far we can get with a 'decent' (and nothing more) team.

Any improvement on this front?

I expect that to improve soon. He scored a quality hundred against Aus in Aus recently IIRC.

He is one of the dozen other batsmen who were mediocre/good in the 2000's and suddenly turned into a beast batsman in the 2010's like Taylor, Sanga etc. Even Raina destroyed England in England recently. He will come through on this front soon.

[MENTION=134809]sensible-indian-fan[/MENTION] is Naman Ojha in the squad?

[MENTION=134809]sensible-indian-fan[/MENTION] is Naman Ojha in the squad?

India Squad
MS Dhoni*†, R Ashwin, STR Binny, S Dhawan, Gurkeerat Singh, V Kohli, B Kumar, A Mishra, AR Patel, AM Rahane, SK Raina, AT Rayudu, MM Sharma, RG Sharma, UT Yadav

He is about to overshadow Kohli. Provided he has a good Test series especially. I think he will have a terrific Test series.

You never know he may be the next captain as well.

:(

too many heart breaks these days.

shobby denied hundred

sharma's twin hundreds going waste

i am having a real bad time as a fan. :(

Win the Test series even if you lose all the limited over matches. No one will remember these One day games in years to come. They are fun to watch but can be a lottery at times.

But what about the pain that we are feeling now.

I t think we should play him in Tests as well. Now I've said the opposite in the past but these are home tests and Rohit gas only played two tests at home two years and our batting stocks are poor in Tests. Might be worth it looking at his form.

I t think we should play him in Tests as well. Now I've said the opposite in the past but these are home tests and Rohit gas only played two tests at home two years and our batting stocks are poor in Tests. Might be worth it looking at his form.

He will play home tests and he should.
Overseas tests he shouldn't, atleast not for the time being.

Getting up there certainly with the likes of Sehwag as a FTB.

Guys like you need to recognize that nowadays 85% of tracks are flat, and therefore FTB is pretty much world-class batsman and this is a more relevant skill than battling it out in difficult conditions.

Guys like you need to recognize that nowadays 85% of tracks are flat, and therefore FTB is pretty much world-class batsman and this is a more relevant skill than battling it out in difficult conditions.

Remind me what his ODI average is outside India ?

Average of 69 at home compared to 30 away.

Remind me what his ODI average is outside India ?

its mid 30s if i recall correctly.

and that still is comparable to our top batsmen

and its been going up in recent times

its mid 30s if i recall correctly.

and that still is comparable to our top batsmen

and its been going up in recent times

I think that's game, set and match to me then.

Only current Indian batsman that can play crucial innings.
Has to improve on a lot of things but still India's best batsman as I have stated.
Will rarely scored soft, needless runs like Kohli did in Australia and often does or like Dhoni is doing for the last 7 years of his career.

Certainly, my favourite batsman in cricket. Just wish :uakmal can hv a similar renaissance but no, he is just too dumb n so is our team management who'll never try him as an opener

Tense chase.

showing his class again.

The most dangerous ODI batsman in the world

That six to Tahir was MASSSIVE!

What a player under pressure.

Best Indian batsman in LOI's.
And I am sure he can also do it in tests. Really has got something special about him.

Most dangerous? :shafiq
If u ask [MENTION=138463]Slog[/MENTION], he'll probably say, who knows maybe shafiq can turn a corner n claim the title of the most dangerous odi batsman, afterall he has an avg of 60 at 90 in list a

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

If u ask [MENTION=138463]Slog[/MENTION], he'll probably say, who knows maybe shafiq can turn a corner n claim the title of the most dangerous odi batsman, afterall he has an avg of 60 at 90 in list a

haha why the obsession with me?

sorry if i am giving you nightmares or sth for you to think hwat i would say if im asked questions :dalmiya

Most dangerous might be pushing it; on form, Kohli is better than him, even.
Which is the point. Kohli isnt in form.
However, rohit has more ability than kohli.
He still hasnt reached his peak yet, unlike kohli who may already be past his best
The way he plays fast bowlers is really distinct from anybody else. I still remember the way he played Mitchell Starc in the World Cup semi final.
driving, pulling him effortlessly when the guy was bowling at 150 clix.
Yeah he only scored a 40 something but the quality of shots was unmatched

haha why the obsession with me?

sorry if i am giving you nightmares or sth for you to think hwat i would say if im asked questions :dalmiya
Lol he used the shafiq smile n since u r one of his biggest supporters, it reminded me of u.

Plus u still maintain a hope of him turning a corner n becoming an imposing batsman, hence the dig at u

Which is the point. Kohli isnt in form.
However, rohit has more ability than kohli.
He still hasnt reached his peak yet, unlike kohli who may already be past his best
The way he plays fast bowlers is really distinct from anybody else. I still remember the way he played Mitchell Starc in the World Cup semi final.
driving, pulling him effortlessly when the guy was bowling at 150 clix.
Yeah he only scored a 40 something but the quality of shots was unmatched

Kohli has a better temperament and more intelligence. There is no doubt regarding Rohit's talent. Same as Umar. Lately he has been harnessing the talent and has become better, but there is still simply too much inconsistency. This SA series might be what makes him though, because he has done exceedingly well each time, but before that you could always count on him to deliver a few low scores. He is also yet to make much of an impression in differing conditions, which is what puts his contemporaries above him in my book. Just an opinion though.

Kohli has a better temperament and more intelligence. There is no doubt regarding Rohit's talent. Same as Umar. Lately he has been harnessing the talent and has become better, but there is still simply too much inconsistency. This SA series might be what makes him though, because he has done exceedingly well each time, but before that you could always count on him to deliver a few low scores. He is also yet to make much of an impression in differing conditions, which is what puts his contemporaries above him in my book. Just an opinion though.
With rohit I don't think there's a question of intelligence or temperament because he does not have the issues that khotta :uakmal has.
You can realize the intelligence of the guy from the interviews where he shows a good understanding of his game

Plus, when you see him bat he usually goes for calculated strokes, unlike chota who is like a restless bee, prone to a hack across the line any moment.

With rohit, u feel that it was just a coincidence or just a weird spate of events that did not allow him to be the batsman that he was supposed to be.
Maybe he doubted himself:malik

But thankfully, he is realizing how good he is now and the confidence just shows, the way he approaches the game.

With rohit I don't think there's a question of intelligence or temperament because he does not have the issues that khotta :uakmal has.
You can realize the intelligence of the guy from the interviews where he shows a good understanding of his game

Plus, when you see him bat he usually goes for calculated strokes, unlike chota who is like a restless bee, prone to a hack across the line any moment.

With rohit, u feel that it was just a coincidence or just a weird spate of events that did not allow him to be the batsman that he was supposed to be.
Maybe he doubted himself:malik

But thankfully, he is realizing how good he is now and the confidence just shows, the way he approaches the game.

I don't think Rohit was ever as immature as Umar (who is on a different planet in that regard), but there was a time when he was not very intelligent with the way he went about his batting. However, opening the innings and captaining Mumbai, etc. have all forced him to take more responsibility and thus show more capability as an overall cricketer.

I wish that Umar would also learn, but he seems like a hopeless case.

I don't think Rohit was ever as immature as Umar (who is on a different planet in that regard), but there was a time when he was not very intelligent with the way he went about his batting. However, opening the innings and captaining Mumbai, etc. have all forced him to take more responsibility and thus show more capability as an overall cricketer.

I wish that Umar would also learn, but he seems like a hopeless case.
Umar has got his priorities n his mentors wrong.
Unless n until he looks up to the right ideals n the right people, there will be no renaissance

Umar has got his priorities n his mentors wrong.
Unless n until he looks up to the right ideals n the right people, there will be no renaissance

Careful with what you say.... DANGER.

BnbTJ09IAAEZ84q.jpg

Rohit is the most dangerous ODI opener in the game. I'd take him over Amla any time, who is all stats and no substance.

If you don't get Rohit out in the first 15 overs and he will more often than not take the game well beyond your reach, also he can switch gears like no one else can.

Rohit is the most dangerous ODI opener in the game. I'd take him over Amla any time, who is all stats and no substance.

If you don't get Rohit out in the first 15 overs and he will more often than not take the game well beyond your reach, also he can switch gears like no one else can.

Plus, he is the most pleasing batsman to watch in my book, especially against fast bowlers.

World record holder

Overall 2 double hundreds

150s

140s

He is a legitimate beast in ODIs. Probably the most dangerous batsman after ABD in limited overs cricket right now. ABD does it from middle overs onwards but Rohit to his credit stamps his authority as an opener.

Be sure to see him flop next game though. One of the most inconsistent batsman of our times.

Be sure to see him flop next game though. One of the most inconsistent batsman of our times.

This!

Rohit Sharma lacks the consistency to score runs. And thats why i think he would never become a better player then Tendulkar or Dravid, even if he scores two more 150+

This!

Rohit Sharma lacks the consistency to score runs. And thats why i think he would never become a better player then Tendulkar or Dravid, even if he scores two more 150+

Since Jan 2013, he's averaging 55+ as an ODI opener.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...3;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

834 runs in 9 outings vs Australia @139

Certainly has the talent as a batsmen in ODIs as you only have to look at the Big inns hes scored in this format of the game, but then he seems to struggle majorly in Tests which is abit of surprise. Also seems to enjoy playing Australia.

Such stupid logic.

Inconsistency is the absence of big knocks not the presence of low scores. Rohit has in fact the ideal ODI run. He's striking big in every 3-4th game and making them count. If you have this lulloo logic for inconsistency go and find it in Lara's test career as well. Massive double hundreds and a lot of nothing efforts. Hardly anyone bothers. It's about making the 1/4 knocks count big.

QFT.

Every time I see or hear about him performing these kinds of innings I always look passed them because I know he won't be able to duplicate it in the next match.

Such stupid logic.

Inconsistency is the absence of big knocks not the presence of low scores. Rohit has in fact the ideal ODI run. He's striking big in every 3-4th game and making them count. If you have this lulloo logic for inconsistency go and find it in Lara's test career as well. Massive double hundreds and a lot of nothing efforts. Hardly anyone bothers. It's about making the 1/4 knocks count big.

Do you even know what consistency means??? You seem to have a hard time understanding the word.
Let me break it down for you:

Scenario 1 Average of 50:
Innings 1: score of 100
Innings 2: Score of 0

Scenario 2 Average of 50:
Innings 1: Score of 50
Innings 2: Score of 50

Now please tell me how scenario 1is a consistent player. No one here is comparing Lara to this guy. Just because he scores big hundreds dosn't mean he is consistent. It just means he has the talent to do so. I would refer you to a dictionary of you still don't understand.

Do you even know what consistency means??? You seem to have a hard time understanding the word.
Let me break it down for you:

Scenario 1 Average of 50:
Innings 1: score of 100
Innings 2: Score of 0

Scenario 2 Average of 50:
Innings 1: Score of 50
Innings 2: Score of 50

Now please tell me how scenario 1is a consistent player. No one here is comparing Lara to this guy. Just because he scores big hundreds dosn't mean he is consistent. It just means he has the talent to do so. I would refer you to a dictionary of you still don't understand.

Let me explain to you, Chhotu,

Scenario 1 is a clear cut superior player. He hits 100 in 1/2 matches, most probably wins the game for his tea,

Scenario 2, couple of 50s. Odds of ending on the winning side contribution wise exactly half to the hundred scored.

Scenario 1= Consistent match winner

Scenario 2 = Consistent performer

He was running threes after scoring 150 gawd you rarely see such stamina in players.

Scenario 1 is a clear cut superior player. He hits 100 in 1/2 matches, most probably wins the game for his tea,

Scenario 2, couple of 50s. Odds of ending on the winning side contribution wise exactly half to the hundred scored.

Scenario 2 is typical of misbah and we all know how effective he was as an odi player, inspite of those consistently 50's:sachin

With the same filter have a look at his innings by innings list
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...an;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

you can see how very inconsistent he is.

He's played 18 odis since 2015 and has 4 x 100s, and 4 x 50+ scores. So he's made a significant contribution once every 2.25 matches which is reasonably consistant in most people's books.

In 2014 he played 12 odis and scored 1 x 100 and 3 x 50s so scored big in 1/3 matches.

In 2013 he played 28 odis and scored 2 x 100s and 8 x 50s.

That's quite a large sample.

Sharma is clearly a poor test match batsman (so far) but I don't think he's 'very inconsistant' - not anymore and not in the shorter format of the game.

ODI legend already, pity he isn't able to convert it in tests.. He'll be a beast for India if he does so.. Always seen him as the natural successor to the great VVS

I dont think I have ever seen a batsmen who has so much time to play his shots add in the odd laziness & little elegance of INZI and you have a quality bat

I dont think I have ever seen a batsmen who has so much time to play his shots add in the odd laziness & little elegance of INZI and you have a quality bat

He is the closest batsman to inzi in terms of aesthetics and ability.
And then we have people who bring up :maqsood :facepalm:

One of the cleanest strikers of the ball. Seems like the phrase itself was made for Rohit.

There's no doubting his talent but he lost us the game by refusing to accelerate from the 35th over.Either him or Kohli should take the blame for that self serving batting.

Read a dictionary, if you have the mental capability to :))

There's no doubting his talent but he lost us the game by refusing to accelerate from the 35th over.Either him or Kohli should take the blame for that self serving batting.

Weak lower order means the plan is to not take much risks in the middle overs. Smith & Bailey could bat freely knowing they had Maxwell, Marsh, Wade, Faulkner in the shed.

With the same filter have a look at his innings by innings list
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...an;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

you can see how very inconsistent he is.

I don't see the inconsistency in those innings. He usually gets between 30-60 runs and sometimes gets big hundreds. If this isn't consistent in ODIs, then please show me the innings list of a player who is consistent according to you. Even Sachin or Viv did not get 40+ runs every single match.

I don't see the inconsistency in those innings. He usually gets between 30-60 runs and sometimes gets big hundreds. If this isn't consistent in ODIs, then please show me the innings list of a player who is consistent according to you. Even Sachin or Viv did not get 40+ runs every single match.

Scoring 30 runs is the benchmark for a good score these days?

Scoring 30 runs is the benchmark for a good score these days?

Is 40 a good score? Then name a batsmen who gets above 40 almost every innings. Rohit has gotten over 40 around 45% of times (and over 50 around 39% of times).

What else do you call consistency mate? In 57 innings he has scored 50 plus in 22 innings.... which means he scores more than 50 in 44% of matches he plays. that is near about every 2nd or 3rd game he plays. What else do you want from an opener...

What I want from an opener is not be content with his score in the previous game and play like a fool in the next. Not just an opener, any bastman for that matter.

After he scored his 150 (in a losing match), he scored a whopping 3. After a 60+ score in Bangladesh he gets out for a duck. After his 264 he gets out for 9. After 138 he gets out for 15. You can see a trend with his batting here. He knows he has the talent, but rests on his previous laurels.

Is 40 a good score? Then name a batsmen who gets above 40 almost every innings. Rohit has gotten over 40 around 45% of times (and over 50 around 39% of times).

I don't need to name anyone, seeing as I'm not comparing King Rohit with anyone. If you think 30 is a good score, great. India's win/loss record in the last year is testament to that sort of benchmark.

What I want from an opener is not be content with his score in the previous game and play like a fool in the next. Not just an opener, any bastman for that matter.

After he scored his 150 (in a losing match), he scored a whopping 3. After a 60+ score in Bangladesh he gets out for a duck. After his 264 he gets out for 9. After 138 he gets out for 15. You can see a trend with his batting here. He knows he has the talent, but rests on his previous laurels.

After Viv got 138*, he got 9 the next match. Then he got 149 in another match, and 23 the next match. Later he got 106, and 18 in the next one. Then 189* in another match and 3 after. I guess Viv wasn’t very consistent either. http://www.howstat.com/cricket/statistics/Players/PlayerProgressBat_ODI.asp?PlayerID=1470

Back