[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Rohit 'the Hitman' Sharma - Discussion Thread

The guy who gets shortchanged the most in all of this is Dhawan. In the last 3 years he has scored 2000+ runs at an avg of 52 and SR of 102.

If Dhawan was in any other ODI team, he would be, at worst, the 2nd best batsman in that team. And apart from Aus and SA, he would be the best batsman in the side for all other teams.

Problem with Dhawan is converting starts into big score. Virat since 2015 Worldcup has 14 centuries. Rohit 13 and Dhawan has just 7. All 3 have played similar number of matches. Dhawan also rarely finishes game which virat does and even rohit does quite few time.

Rohit Sharma was averaging and performing even worse than Umar Akmal and many ex Indian players were frustrated at his lack of runs and returns, they even talked of cutting their losses and moving on, but the Indian team management never gave up on him and decided to ask him to open the innings and he hasn't looked back ever since.

On the other hand Umar Akmal has not even been considered for the opening position and is now out of the team for good.

Problem with Dhawan is converting starts into big score. Virat since 2015 Worldcup has 14 centuries. Rohit 13 and Dhawan has just 7. All 3 have played similar number of matches. Dhawan also rarely finishes game which virat does and even rohit does quite few time.

Thing is, Dhawan's numbers only look "average" in the context of Virat and Rohit's numbers. But Virat and Rohit's numbers are rather insane to begin with.

Since 2015, Dhawan has 9 hundreds, which is the joint 5th highest in the world, along with Amla who also has 9. In terms of runs scored he is the 8th highest in the world since 2015 and only 51 runs shy of 6th placed Eoin Morgan.

If a player is among the top 10 for the last 4 years - then he is a damn good player. It's just that Virat and Rohit's sheer brilliance makes even good batsmen look ordinary in comparison.

Rohit's numbers were so massively disappointing after his first 81 innings: -

Avg 30
SR 78
100s 2

But clearly he has come a long way since then, after taking the role as an opener. His career average is hurt due to his first 80 innings and that is why even after being so fantastic since 2013, he only averages 47 now, which is same as Dhawan's average.

Thing is, Dhawan's numbers only look "average" in the context of Virat and Rohit's numbers. But Virat and Rohit's numbers are rather insane to begin with.

Since 2015, Dhawan has 9 hundreds, which is the joint 5th highest in the world, along with Amla who also has 9. In terms of runs scored he is the 8th highest in the world since 2015 and only 51 runs shy of 6th placed Eoin Morgan.

If a player is among the top 10 for the last 4 years - then he is a damn good player. It's just that Virat and Rohit's sheer brilliance makes even good batsmen look ordinary in comparison.

I do agree but this is world's best three. Dhawan don't have to look outside for competators he already has in virat & rohit. If he can convert 40s and 50s in 100s then he will do real great but again he has done very good as opener in last 5 years and probably best left hand opener along with warner

R.Sharma might be scoring good but is out of shape and he should share the secret to beating the yoyo into oblivion with other global crickters who have been struggling to pass yoyo tests in their respective teams.

R.Sharma might be scoring good but is out of shape and he should share the secret to beating the yoyo into oblivion with other global crickters who have been struggling to pass yoyo tests in their respective teams.

In that way manish pandey deserves place ahead of him? Rohit is good fielder and can play big knocks which no other player in team can so obviously he is fit to do it. But yes he should work on his fitness from now if he has to last 5+ year in international cricket.

In that way manish pandey deserves place ahead of him? Rohit is good fielder and can play big knocks which no other player in team can so obviously he is fit to do it. But yes he should work on his fitness from now if he has to last 5+ year in international cricket.

I do not think M.pandey has a chance, his opportunities have been wasted by him + he was wrongly pushed into the finisher job which he is not capable of. His time is passed. Gill, Pant, Shaw knocking on the doors and in 2 years time most non-performers will have to go. And as for sharma, I would like to see when his form declines, will kohli persist with him now that some reported cold-war going-on between them.

I do not think M.pandey has a chance, his opportunities have been wasted by him + he was wrongly pushed into the finisher job which he is not capable of. His time is passed. Gill, Pant, Shaw knocking on the doors and in 2 years time most non-performers will have to go. And as for sharma, I would like to see when his form declines, will kohli persist with him now that some reported cold-war going-on between them.

Sharma will play 2023 worldcup at home along with dhawan. After that both dhawan and rohit will go and for kohli idk if he would want to play 2027 worldcup it would depend upon himself.

I think one thing we have to give it to Rohit is the fact that once he gets set and then goes beserk and plays long inning has really helped India save the fragality of the middle order from the last few years.

I think one thing we have to give it to Rohit is the fact that once he gets set and then goes beserk and plays long inning has really helped India save the fragality of the middle order from the last few years.

He isn't that inconsistent either. He will always be under shadows of Virat Kohli. Avg of 70 in since 2016 with 12 centuries isn't inconsistent as few people say. In last 9 series he has century in each of them which none other batsman has. Virat just has different level of consistency and that's reason Rohit and Dhawan looks bit inconsistent.

He isn't that inconsistent either. He will always be under shadows of Virat Kohli. Avg of 70 in since 2016 with 12 centuries isn't inconsistent as few people say. In last 9 series he has century in each of them which none other batsman has. Virat just has different level of consistency and that's reason Rohit and Dhawan looks bit inconsistent.

He has been consistent enough since 2013.His numbers pre 13 hurt him a lot. Took him years before he established himself.

7th 150+ score for The Hitman.

Father of daddy hundreds in this format.

Was just looking at some of Rohits stats and for the first 5-6 years of his odi career (~80 ODIs so a large sample) he averaged only 30 with a pretty pathetic strike rate (mid to late 70s). All credit to the selectors and management back then for persisting with him. In some other eras he would have been dropped and never seen again.

what a beast of a player. King of daddy hundreds. Legend. You just run out of superlatives for this gem of a player.

The Hitman hitsT20i hundred #4

Most by any international.

6 sixes in that knock.

Rohit since 2015 has most centuries (20) in short formats! next best is Kohli with 17.

Rohit since 2015 has most centuries (20) in short formats! next best is Kohli with 17.

He’s ahead of Kohli impact wise. Every time he scores a big one he turns the tide India’s side comprehensively.

The Hitman!

Keep hating. He’s quietly become one of the best in the world while many people chose to discredit him.

He surely is.But your original reply compared him to Kohli who's on another level.Kohli's done far better in varied conditions

He’s ahead of Kohli impact wise. Every time he scores a big one he turns the tide India’s side comprehensively.

The Hitman!

Agreed, when Rohit is in zone teams literally **** their pants. Kohli doesn't look threatening for some reason. Power hitting is a huge aspect of a batsman's legacy, no wonder Viv is so highly regarded (despite being worse than Gavaskar and Border stat wise in tests)

Agreed, when Rohit is in zone teams literally **** their pants. Kohli doesn't look threatening for some reason. Power hitting is a huge aspect of a batsman's legacy, no wonder Viv is so highly regarded (despite being worse than Gavaskar and Border stat wise in tests)

I have been a fan of Rohit since 2007 T20WC. I like him more than Kohli. But that statement is just nonsense.

Kohli's played some equally unbelievable knocks. Their way of constructing an innings is different but that doesn't mean Kohli doesn't threaten the opposition as much. And when the situation demands it, Kohli can also turn the heat on. Don't forget that the fastest century (52 balls) is by Kohli.

I have been a fan of Rohit since 2007 T20WC. I like him more than Kohli. But that statement is just nonsense.

Kohli's played some equally unbelievable knocks. Their way of constructing an innings is different but that doesn't mean Kohli doesn't threaten the opposition as much. And when the situation demands it, Kohli can also turn the heat on. Don't forget that the fastest century (52 balls) is by Kohli.

Hobart knock
183 in Asia Cup
82 in T20 v Aus in last T20 WC

Rohit has played awesome knocks but Kohli is on another level in terms of handling pressure

Yes, in terms of handling pressure, Kohli is clearly a level superior to Rohit, who although has got extra batting gear compared to Kohli. That is the only aspect where Rohit is superior to Kohli.

Last edited:

1/3rd of Rohit's hundreds are 150+, Kohli isn't as dangerous as Rohit after they become set. I am not making facts up, it's a fact.

In conversations about death-overs batting in limited overs, the names that usually come up are those of MS Dhoni, AB De Villiers and Andre Russell, but Rohit's strike rate of 209.3 is the highest for any player in ODIs (minimum 30 balls faced) in the last five years.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25126983/rohit-sharma-too-good-second

Rohit is more destructive than even ABD after (and if) he reaches 40th over. ABD is arguably the most destructive batsman in history of cricket. Every 1 in 3 of Rohit's hundred is 150+. Kohli is obviously more consistent but Rohit is more dangerous when set.

Rohit's extra gears are helpful for current indian team which lacks hitter in middle order & even in whole xi. Kohli's century might not work sometimes if opposition has gotten great hitters and big run scorers in side & this is when Rohit's big daddy hundred help us to win the match. But no doubt Kohli is already short format GOAT & Rohit will achieve it before he retires.

1/3rd of Rohit's hundreds are 150+, Kohli isn't as dangerous as Rohit after they become set. I am not making facts up, it's a fact.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25126983/rohit-sharma-too-good-second

Rohit is more destructive than even ABD after (and if) he reaches 40th over. ABD is arguably the most destructive batsman in history of cricket. Every 1 in 3 of Rohit's hundred is 150+. Kohli is obviously more consistent but Rohit is more dangerous when set.

If "dangerous" means striking ability, then yes. But if "dangerous" means match-winning ability then no.

I've seen Kohli play some innings that shouldn't be humanely possible to play. Two that spring to mind is that 82* against Australia in the 2016 WT20 and the 132* against SL in 2012 in the tri-series in Australia.

Kohli doesn't have the six hitting ability of Rohit. Nobody has. But despite that I think Kohli strikes at 170-180 in the 40th over onwards. He definitely has the game to go at a massive SR. But his role in the team is different. So he has moulded his game differently.

Till 2013/14 we saw a different style of batting from Kohli. He was a lot more aggresive. Now he plays percentage cricket. And he plays it better than anyone else.

Kohli's transformation actually reminds me of Sachin's transformation in his batting after the tennis elbow injury. Even Sachin became less aggresive in his approach. But he actually became even more consistent after that.

Because he isn't a great he is a showboat without any temperament.

Rohit didn't learn even after almost holing out the previous delivery. This alone shows that he can't ever be a test cricketer.

Simply not cut out for test cricket, his method of dismissal was the worst today and there were some really bad ones on display !!!

Good lord I just saw his dismissal. After hitting a SIX the previous ball too.

The question is not when HE will ever learn, the question is when Kohli and Shastri will. ::J

Magnificent counter attacking cameo from The Hitman today that turned the momentum India's way and gave confidence to the rest of the Indian batsmen.

He is the Hitman. He will hit. As simple as that. He did a great job.

Sometimes such confidence building rescue operation cameos mean more than double hundreds on flat pitches.

Such a irritating batsman to be fan of. I love watching him bat but when he throws it i feel like punching him on face. He should stop being elegant and look to play like pujara.

I think, Sharma should open with Vijay and Rahul come 5 down...

Don't think it will happen. Kohli at the toss mentioned they went with him because he bats well with the tail. So that's the role they see him in. Think he'd flower as an opener though.

Most ODI hundreds vs Australia :-

Tendulkat - 9
Hitman - 7
Haynes - 6
Kohli - 5

23rd ODI hundred for The Hitman and what a day and occasion to do it.

Well done Sir!

He's looked great today so far. Good to see him turning up in a huge match like this.

ODI century #24 for The Hitman!

He is a legitimate ODI legend now.

Great overall record and is owning it on the grandest stage as well.

All the talent in the world and you get out playing a shot liek that :facepalm:

Really unfortunate dismissal.

Nonetheless, a legendary ODI knock.

Well played Sharma.

Was really struggling today but recovered to score a century.

500 runs for #TheHitman at the World Cup

Well done Sir :14:

image-png-7fc077129a03b3dcb3daf7c1bca49e79.png

Greatest ODI opener of all time by some distance. This World Cup has done it for him.

Last edited:
Better than SRT and Anwar?

Comfortably better than Anwar, but as far as Tendulkar is concerned, it depends on how you look at it. They both have different strengths, but I prefer Rohit. Although I won’t argue with anyone who still rates Tendulkar higher.

Greatest ODI opener of all time by some distance. This World Cup has done it for him.

Comfortably better than Anwar, but as far as Tendulkar is concerned, it depends on how you look at it. They both have different strengths, but I prefer Rohit. Although I won’t argue with anyone who still rates Tendulkar higher.

Fair points

Purely in statistical terms he’s up there and he’s scored no soft runs either as is proven by his World Cup record.

4 centuries in one World Cup while winning it for his team is quite phenomenal.

Overall now just one away from equalling Tendulkar.

Better than SRT and Anwar?

Lol Anwar? In ODI's Anwar won't even be in top 10 openers. His record is abyasmal agaijst the best teams. For tests Anwar was very good but he is below Sehwag and Dhawan also in ODIs. Possibly below ganguly also .

The thing with comparing him to Tendulkar is that the latter will always beat him in terms of volume (runs, hundreds etc.) because he opened in almost 350 games while Rohit has done for just over 120+ games. It is unfair to use that as a stick to beat him with, because his record and impact has been phenomenal.

In spite of playing so many less innings, he is only 1 hundred behind Tendulkar in World Cups, he will most probably finish around 40 hundreds by the time he is done, and perhaps you can add a couple of additional double-hundreds as well. He has also performed spectacularly against almost every side and If I recall correctly, he hasn't done much against the likes of Ireland, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan etc. either, and he has 10+ hundreds against Australia and South Africa alone.

He is only 32, but he has achieved pretty much everything that an opener can possibly achieve in the ODI game. You can't downplay him forever because of intangibles such as flat pitches, short boundaries etc. A modern opener doesn't have to score 50,000 runs to justify comparisons with legends of the past.

Rohit has a solid case of being the greatest ODI batsman of all time now. He's scoring WC hundreds for fun.

How does he get dropped at the start of the innings so often?!

3 times now and everytime he gets a century after getting simple chances dropped

How does he get dropped at the start of the innings so often?!

3 times now and everytime he gets a century after getting simple chances dropped

wasn't dropped vs pak though and against south africa it was very difficult chance.

Sachin is in a different league, dont think he'll ever get past the little master. But yes, he's probably 2nd greatest ODI opener. Personally I enjoyed Sehwag & Gilchrist more because of the impact they had on the game.

What a guy!

5 World Cup centuries in 8 matches lol

6 in 10 matches

Hitman is officially a cricket legend :srt

Sachin is in a different league, dont think he'll ever get past the little master. But yes, he's probably 2nd greatest ODI opener. Personally I enjoyed Sehwag & Gilchrist more because of the impact they had on the game.

Sehwag never had any impact in ODIs lol. He averaged 30 until 2009. He was a better version of Afridi in ODIs.

Back