[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Rohit 'the Hitman' Sharma - Discussion Thread

I don't need to name anyone, seeing as I'm not comparing King Rohit with anyone. If you think 30 is a good score, great. India's win/loss record in the last year is testament to that sort of benchmark.

Scoring 50, 105, 32, 65, 26 does show consistency. You can’t expect any batsmen to get 50+ every innings.

It doesn’t matter if you aren’t comparing Rohit with anyone. But if Rohit is inconsistent, then you have to name some batsmen who are consistent according to your criteria (unless there are none in the history of cricket).

After Viv got 138*, he got 9 the next match. Then he got 149 in another match, and 23 the next match. Later he got 106, and 18 in the next one. Then 189* in another match and 3 after. I guess Viv wasn’t very consistent either. http://www.howstat.com/cricket/statistics/Players/PlayerProgressBat_ODI.asp?PlayerID=1470

Scoring 50, 105, 32, 65, 26 does show consistency. You can’t expect any batsmen to get 50+ every innings.

It doesn’t matter if you aren’t comparing Rohit with anyone. But if Rohit is inconsistent, then you have to name some batsmen who are consistent according to your criteria (unless there are none in the history of cricket).

Mate you are missing my point. Rohit has immense postential and is a destructive batsman. But can you count on him to score 2 games in a row? History tells us no. Even if tomorrow he scores another century, it will be an aberration to his existing pattern. Even day before's game, his century didn't mean anything seeing that India lost.

What I want from an opener is not be content with his score in the previous game and play like a fool in the next. Not just an opener, any bastman for that matter.

After he scored his 150 (in a losing match), he scored a whopping 3. After a 60+ score in Bangladesh he gets out for a duck. After his 264 he gets out for 9. After 138 he gets out for 15. You can see a trend with his batting here. He knows he has the talent, but rests on his previous laurels.

But that cannot define that he is inconsistent. Bro, any batsman should not be expected to perform in every game. Yes I agree with you with the score and this trend but still he is someone we can rely on to perform anywhere. And this surely even Rohit would want on to improve.

I don't need to name anyone, seeing as I'm not comparing King Rohit with anyone. If you think 30 is a good score, great. India's win/loss record in the last year is testament to that sort of benchmark.

Looks like you could not find a single consistent batsman according to your standards to compare.

Looks like you could not find a single consistent batsman according to your standards to compare.

My goodness it's like you guys need examples otherwise your heads will explode. Of the top of my head go look at KW and AB's consistency. Does Sharma compare? I don't think so.

Thats a low blow. :D

His logic:
40, 30, 60, 30, 40 - Great player
150, 7, 14, 170, 0, 95 - Inconsistent player :)))

You seriously have a hard time grasping the meaning of a word. Scoing 150 and then 7 is not consistent!!

Lol by your genius logic scoring a 100 is a match winning performance. Ask your 'god' how many matches he won with his centuries :)))

If you had any mental strength Rohit 'consisttent' Sharma's 150 and 170 were in losing causes. Get back to me when once you've grown up a little :mv

Never said a consistent player was great. Great players are consistent.
A title comprehension goes a long way.

Name a player who is consistent according to you. If you can't, there is no point arguing.

After he scored his 150 (in a losing match), he scored a whopping 3. After a 60+ score in Bangladesh he gets out for a duck. After his 264 he gets out for 9. After 138 he gets out for 15. You can see a trend with his batting here. He knows he has the talent, but rests on his previous laurels.

Consecutive good scores vs SA & Aus. There rests your theory.

Consecutive good scores vs SA & Aus. There rests your theory.

Theory still stands as I mentioned a few posts earlier: "if he scores another century, it will be an aberration to his existing pattern". But none the less I am glad he has performed well today and I hope he can continue in this fashion.

The India-Australia one day series back in 2013 kicked off Rohits rich one day form - since then he has:

2022 runs @ 59.47 with a strike rate of 96.

The India-Australia one day series back in 2013 kicked off Rohits rich one day form - since then he has:

2022 runs @ 59.47 with a strike rate of 96.

Not consistent enough. There were a few low scores in between. :))) [MENTION=139777]SunTzu[/MENTION]

Not consistent enough. There were a few low scores in between. :))) [MENTION=139777]SunTzu[/MENTION]

And still no wins :))

It's ok one day moral victories will eventually be awarded to you. Till then enjoy mediocre performances and tout them as exceptional :))

Sharma proving scary consistency here, but still needs to accelerate more at the right time....

Never said a consistent player was great. Great players are consistent.
A title comprehension goes a long way.

Can you make up a sample innings list (maybe 5 innings) of a player you would think is great and consistent?

My goodness it's like you guys need examples otherwise your heads will explode. Of the top of my head go look at KW and AB's consistency. Does Sharma compare? I don't think so.

Williamson's last few innings: 47, 7, 39, 59, 12, 61
Rohit's last few innigns: 150, 3, 65, 21, 16, 171*, 124

Since Rohit has started opening, he has been very consistent. However, if your definition of consistent is that you can expect him to score a century every match, then he isn't consistent. But neither is any batsmen ever in cricket.

Can you make up a sample innings list (maybe 5 innings) of a player you would think is great and consistent?

It was only a few months ago i think Sanga scored 4 back to back centuries. I thought that was pretty great

It was only a few months ago i think Sanga scored 4 back to back centuries. I thought that was pretty great

As far as I know, Sangakkara was the only batsmen to score 4 consecutive ODI hundreds and 6 others had 3 consecutive ODI hundreds. So by your definition, is Sangakkara the only consistent batsmen ever? Even he did it only once, so maybe he wasn't always consistent according to your definition either?

Or maybe you gave an example from the higher end of consistency. Maybe I should rephrase it. Can you make up a sample innings list of a player which has been achieved by several batsmen in the past and is the minimum you would think qualifies as consistent?

FTB.. still should be given permanent place in ODI I reckon since he can be as deadly as they come on his day

As far as I know, Sangakkara was the only batsmen to score 4 consecutive ODI hundreds and 6 others had 3 consecutive ODI hundreds. So by your definition, is Sangakkara the only consistent batsmen ever? Even he did it only once, so maybe he wasn't always consistent according to your definition either?

Or maybe you gave an example from the higher end of consistency. Maybe I should rephrase it. Can you make up a sample innings list of a player which has been achieved by several batsmen in the past and is the minimum you would think qualifies as consistent?

I did give you an example of on the higher end, as that is the only series of scores in memory from recent times. Maybe I am harsh on Sharma, but I feel he can do a lot more and don't care for his lazy attitude. In a crunch situation even now, I would choose Smith, Root, Williamson, Kohli over Sharma, as I feel he won't deliver. Stats don't mean anything if the game isn't won.

He averaged 44.50 this past world cup (a tournament where winning matter more than any other tournament). On the face of it that sounds decent. Out of the 3 test playing nations he played he scored 7 against WI, 16 against Zimbabwe and 34 against Aus. Not very impressive at all.

Let's put it this way: you think Sharma is great based on his purple patch these last few years, which is fine. I think Sharma could do better seeing as he only shows us glimpses of his ability but doesn't always come through. We can always agree to disagree, which I'm fine with.

Anyways in good faith I hope his century today helps win the match.

More dangerous than ABD to be honest when it matters.

With India's packed test schedule coming up it's going to be now or never for Rohit Sharma in terms of his test career. He's 29 and if he doesn't perform at home vs NZ and then England well he never will and should be discarded for good in test matches so that someone else can have a go. Pujara, Kohli, Rahane and Sharma need to start performing as a unit the way Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman did for all those years.

With India's packed test schedule coming up it's going to be now or never for Rohit Sharma in terms of his test career. He's 29 and if he doesn't perform at home vs NZ and then England well he never will and should be discarded for good in test matches so that someone else can have a go. Pujara, Kohli, Rahane and Sharma need to start performing as a unit the way Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman did for all those years.

Where will rohit bat in the team? KL Rahul/Dhawan pujara kohli Rahane in the top 5. Kohli seems to favour 5 bowlers so Saha will bat six than. You think rohit will play as a 5th bowler than?

Where will rohit bat in the team? KL Rahul/Dhawan pujara kohli Rahane in the top 5. Kohli seems to favour 5 bowlers so Saha will bat six than. You think rohit will play as a 5th bowler than?
Rohit should stay away from the test team. He hasn't done anything of note over the last few years in test cricket. He probably is the worst Indian bat in terms of performances over the last 3 years. At one point he was averaging below Bhuvi in tests in overseas games.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Rohit should stay away from the test team. He hasn't done anything of note over the last few years in test cricket. He probably is the worst Indian bat in terms of performances over the last 3 years. At one point he was averaging below Bhuvi in tests in overseas games.

Yep. He needs to focus on LOIs. Kohli seems to keep him around as he needs someone to accelerate if needed. Rohit is too flaky to survive let alone dominate in tests.

He doesn't seem right in test matches but I think Indian selectors will stick with him

He doesn't seem right in test matches but I think Indian selectors will stick with him
Thats because the captain just loves him and wants him in the side. Rohit should not have been anywhere close to the test team after his disastrous performances in the overseas tours where even Jaddu and Bhuvi outperformed him. He could not even do well in the subcontinent.

Rohit is like Yuvi both showed flashes of brilliance in tests and everyone thinks now they will become permanent in tests and take their game to next level but then they flop again..

Thats because the captain just loves him and wants him in the side. Rohit should not have been anywhere close to the test team after his disastrous performances in the overseas tours where even Jaddu and Bhuvi outperformed him. He could not even do well in the subcontinent.

In odis outside of subcontinent he's done decent but in tests outside of subcontinent he looks vulnerable and a walking wicket

How much will Rohit Sharma score tomorrow?

A) 0 (6) - out first ball, probably a nick to the keeper.

B) 27 (33) - caresses five boundaries, but gets out to an airy fairy shot before REALLY getting set for the long haul.

c) 51 (87) - unfortunately scores just enough to secure his place (and keep Rahane out) for the rest of the tour.

d) 134 (186) - all is forgiven.

A) 0 (6) - out first ball, probably a nick to the keeper.

B) 27 (33) - caresses five boundaries, but gets out to an airy fairy shot before REALLY getting set for the long haul.

c) 51 (87) - unfortunately scores just enough to secure his place (and keep Rahane out) for the rest of the tour.

d) 134 (186) - all is forgiven.

Going with something resembling C though this performance by the rest will mean rahane is back for next game most likely for dhawan or could even go back to 7 batsman if we get a green track next game.

Though I do hope that he scores some & we get a competitive game out of this but he will probably get out somewhere between 0 & 20. He'll not be able to create any impact in these conditions against this attack.

Maybe 10 - 20 but can't say can even score 50 (will be really really hard for him)

a) 0 (6) - out first ball, probably a nick to the keeper.

B) 27 (33) - caresses five boundaries, but gets out to an airy fairy shot before really getting set for the long haul.

C) 51 (87) - unfortunately scores just enough to secure his place (and keep rahane out) for the rest of the tour.

D) 134 (186) - all is forgiven.
a

So much time playing those defense shots to Steyn. So beautiful.

Rohit haters are shifting uneasily in their seats, even though he's still to get off the mark. :))

So much time playing those defense shots to Steyn. So beautiful.

Rohit haters are shifting uneasily in their seats, even though he's still to get off the mark. :))

He always looks good until he has bouts of stupidshotitis which has known to cause him to play really bad shots out of the blue leading to tame dismissals

Looks understandably a little bit at sea out there, fear he would do all the hard work and then throw it away with a soft dismissal once set.

Sharma's 11 seem to have taken an eternity!

Ok I'll be fair to him here. He performed 10x better than what I expected him to tbh. Still can't hold a candle to the batsman he replaced at No.5 though.

What a surprise. He'll most likely be picked for Test #2 and fail again.

Poor Rahane will then be para-dropped in a thankless situation in the final test when we're 0-2 down but still score some runs.

Guess who's the last one laughing? It ain't Sharma or Kohli.

Rohit has not replaced Rahane.

Whenever he's played Test cricket, he's batted below Rahane at No 6. It's the fabulous Pandya whom his team doesn't even trust to bat above Ashwin and Saha. So now we are supposed to believe:

No 8 batsman + mediocre bowler = Rahane.

Rohit is like VVS in test cricket. Let him bloom and he will give you knocks that even Kohli can never play, with lots of inconsistencies in between.

Rohit is like VVS in test cricket. Let him bloom and he will give you knocks that even Kohli can never play, with lots of inconsistencies in between.

Yes, because that's what he has shown in his career so far, so studded with stellar knocks against the West Indies at home under massive pressure.

Yes, because that's what he has shown in his career so far, so studded with stellar knocks against the West Indies at home under massive pressure.

Yeah, because VVS was stellar right from the get go :))

VVS had an ordinary start to his career and failed through the 99 tour of Australia until the final innings where he left everyone gasping.

Anyway, all the Rohit haters can keep complaining. With Kohli in charge of things, he will always be in the mix in all 3 formats :bhajji

Yeah, because VVS was stellar right from the get go :))

VVS had an ordinary start to his career and failed through the 99 tour of Australia until the final innings where he left everyone gasping.

Anyway, all the Rohit haters can keep complaining. With Kohli in charge of things, he will always be in the mix in all 3 formats :bhajji

Laxman had age on his side. Rohit is already 30+.

He'll end up like Yuvraj or Raina - never make it big in test cricket but his friendship with the captain and coach will ensure that he'll ruin the careers of the likes of Rahane as well.

Laxman had age on his side. Rohit is already 30+.

He'll end up like Yuvraj or Raina - never make it big in test cricket but his friendship with the captain and coach will ensure that he'll ruin the careers of the likes of Rahane as well.

I can understand people when they complained that Pujara was dropped by Kohli. He's the kind of player whom Kohli early into his captaincy didn't think fitted into the team he was trying to build. Think Kohli learnt a lesson in Sri Lanka that you can't fill the team with flair.

But Rahane being dropped and blaming it all on Rohit seems absurd. Kohli has a lot of respect for Rahane and if he didn't pick him, there must be a good reason for it. Rahane will never be out of the mix for long.

Pandya despite his innings today just doesn't seem a convincing choice in test cricket.

Rohit Talented Sharma

So difficult n irritating to be his fan😂😂😂

More often than not his is going fail
His fans have to listen so much becuse of his poor performances.

300 sixes T20 format for Sharma!

===========

Rohit Sharma on Friday, became the first Indian to hit 300 maximums in T20 cricket across all tournaments.

Rohit hit a six off Mujeeb Ur Rahman in the 17th over to reach the landmark as Mumbai Indians beat Kings XI Punjab by six wickets at the Holkar Stadium in Indore to keep their playoff hopes alive.

The Mumbaikar has hit 78 sixes in international cricket and 183 in the Indian Premier League so far. The remaining 40 have come in other T20 tournaments like Champions League T20, Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy and others. In total, he has 301 sixes to his name.

Chris Gayle (844) has hit the most sixes in the shortest format of the game. He is followed by Kieron Pollard (525), Brendon McCullum (445), Dwayne Smith (367), Shane Watson (357), David Warner (319) and Rohit (301).

Gayle also leads the charts in IPL cricket, hitting 290 maximums. Rohit is second in the list with 183 to his name. Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Suresh Raina have smashed 180 sixes each while AB de Villiers comes fifth with 179 maximums.

Rohit has been in decent form this season, although his side has struggled to hit the ground running in IPL 2018. The Mumbaikar has slammed 220 runs from 9 matches so far, with his highest being 94 against RCB at the Wankhede Stadium earlier in the season. He has hit two fifties at an average of 31.42.

The 31-year-old has 11 sixes and 21 boundaries this season so far.

Rohit has slammed 4427 runs from 168 matches with one century so far in the IPL. His highest is 109 not out against Kolkata Knight Riders at the Eden Gardens.

In the international arena, Rohit has scored 1852 runs from 79 matches at an average of 30.86. He has scored two hundreds and 14 fifties in T20Is. His highest is 118 against Sri Lanka at Indore in 2017.

Mumbai however, have not been able to go off to a flyer they would have liked. After nine games, they have lost six and won three and are fifth on the points table.

They have to win all their remaining five games to reach the playoffs. Not only that, teams above like KKR and around them like Rajasthan Royals, Royal Challengers Bangalore and Delhi Daredevils will also have to lose their matches for MI to reach the top four.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/st...t-300-sixes-in-t20-cricket-1227048-2018-05-05

Last edited:
High quality LO player. Moving him up to open was the changing point in his career. Should be kept away from tests.

In white ball cricket there is no doubt that Rohit is among the most dangerous players in the world today. The top 4 in Indian batting line up now look spot on to me.

Sharma
Dhawan
Rahul
Kohli

Thats the way to go

In white ball cricket there is no doubt that Rohit is among the most dangerous players in the world today. The top 4 in Indian batting line up now look spot on to me.

Sharma
Dhawan
Rahul
Kohli

Thats the way to go

Rahul must not get ahead of Kohli. Kohli is the greatest no.3 ODI batsman of all time, he's not even 30 yet. No reason for Kohli to give up his spot. Rahul has to earn is place in top 3, just as Kohli did.

Rahul must not get ahead of Kohli. Kohli is the greatest no.3 ODI batsman of all time, he's not even 30 yet. No reason for Kohli to give up his spot. Rahul has to earn is place in top 3, just as Kohli did.

Rahul is the man in that team now. Kohli has already expressed he's happy to take up the Bobby Deol job in this batting line up.

Rahul is the man in that team now. Kohli has already expressed he's happy to take up the Bobby Deol job in this batting line up.

Thing is, this is not about what Kohli wants, rather what India needs. If Kohli wants to bat at no.4 he'll be making a big mistake. It's not good to fix something that's not broken.

Rohit Sharma becomes the first batsman in history to score 3 centuries in each format of international cricket - 3 in Tests, 17 in ODIs, 3 in T20Is.

He's been shutting the critics down this tour. So many people wanted him out to make way for the emerging Rahul. Rohit hits back in style.

He's been shutting the critics down this tour. So many people wanted him out to make way for the emerging Rahul. Rohit hits back in style.

He was very good till south africa tour where he just scored 1 century but other than that he averages 60 in odis in last 5 years (only kohli averages more than him).

He was very good till south africa tour where he just scored 1 century but other than that he averages 60 in odis in last 5 years (only kohli averages more than him).

He;s been the best LOI opener in the world during the last 4 years or so.

Hands down the most destructive batsman of pace and spin, I have ever seen. Once he gets going, it is over for the bowlers.

Rohit is a beast in flat tracks.He however has a weaknesss while facing quality left arm pace especially at the start of his innings or while facing quality seam bowling in a seaming pitch.

But 95% of today's white ball cricket is being played in flat tracks these days and he is just BOSS in these conditions.

I remember when he started opening for India he was averaging under 30. Now he averages 45! Beat that..

ODI century #19 for Rohit Sharma

No Indian batsman pulls it as effectively as him.

ODI century #20 for Rohit Sharma

:14:

:14:

Well done Sharma ji. Welcome to the 20s club. :srt

He also went past quite a few greats along the way. With 20 tons in ODI cricket he has now gone past Lara, Jayawerdne, Anwar and Taylor.

11th on the overall list having played 2nd fewest matches after Amla.

Sharma should aim for 10-15 more.

Imagine India holding top 3 spots in the centuries count. :srt :kohli

This guys batting is on another level when in full flow. Another GOAT player. His six hitting ability is soo effortless. Only if pakistan can produce half the batsmen india proute.

Rohit is a beast in flat tracks.He however has a weaknesss while facing quality left arm pace especially at the start of his innings or while facing quality seam bowling in a seaming pitch.

But 95% of today's white ball cricket is being played in flat tracks these days and he is just BOSS in these conditions.

I remember when he started opening for India he was averaging under 30. Now he averages 45! Beat that..

Not really. This is just an impression that has been created because of Indo-Pak matches and Amir. And if I'm not wrong Amir has gotten Rohit out only twice, anway.

He's also scored 91 in CT 17 against Pak in the group match and we saw what he did in the Asia Cup.

In addition to that I've seen him score hundreds against Starc and Johnson in Australia and I've seen him score a hundred against Boult - all left-arm pacers who are leagues ahead of Amir.

Rohit Sharma is one of the most over-analyzed batsman on PP and it's totally unneccesary.

Way underrated player in short formats. Has avg of 62 & has 17 centuries in last 5 years. Only Virat has better avg of 68 with 20 centuries. If Rohit would have been playing for other side then he would have been considered as competition to virat in short formats.

Way underrated player in short formats. Has avg of 62 & has 17 centuries in last 5 years. Only Virat has better avg of 68 with 20 centuries. If Rohit would have been playing for other side then he would have been considered as competition to virat in short formats.

The guy who gets shortchanged the most in all of this is Dhawan. In the last 3 years he has scored 2000+ runs at an avg of 52 and SR of 102.

If Dhawan was in any other ODI team, he would be, at worst, the 2nd best batsman in that team. And apart from Aus and SA, he would be the best batsman in the side for all other teams.

Back