Virat Kohli announces his retirement from the T20I

Hopefully he gets a CT and WTC win within the next year as well. That's the least he deserves.

Okay. He was one of the GOAT in world T20s. Very frustrating world cup for him. The way one should see it is he is winning this cup for all the spectacular outings in the 2014, 2016 world cups. Not for this edition.

Finally a cricketer from my generation whose career happened during my life time retires.

Still remember him palying ipl 2008 and the commies going on about kohli this and kohli that as he was just coming in after winnin and u19 world cup.

What a career this guy has had

Okay. He was one of the GOAT in world T20s. Very frustrating world cup for him. The way one should see it is he is winning this cup for all the spectacular outings in the 2014, 2016 world cups. Not for this edition.
Funny how life works out sometimes. He was Player of the Tournament in both those tournaments. And the one where he averages 10 leading up to the final, is the most consequential one of his career.

His innings today was the difference between South Africa chasing 140 or 170.

And while you might hate this knock, you need runs on the board for bowlers to defend.

So it was a great innings in a final where all major 3 flopped.
While I respect kohli I humbly disagree.

If klaseen got sa over the line everyone would be cursing kohli.

Bumrah and SKY are the real MVP's today

Man of the finals, will be difficult for me to watch t20is anymore, hope Pant becomes a good t20i player.

True. But in the end he delivered when it mattered. Made sure we had 170 odd to defend instead of a 120 which we could have easily been at 34/3.

The power of 129 SR.

One got the trophy with contribution from the team. Other got laanat by the team and beyond.

Champion knock today from one of crickets modern icons. He just blocked out all external noise and got his team to a fighting position.

A nice time to exit the format most suited for youngsters.

I'm surprised he is still wanting to play ODI.

Good on Kohli to retire from T20Is. He is truly one of the greatest. I hope he continues his class in ODIs and Tests.

It's true he could have accelerated a bit more towards the end, but all our big guns failed.
Comparing Klassen's innings with Kohli's is not apt. Either SKY or Pant was supposed to play an innings like Klassen's, but they bottled. After being 30/3, Kohli had to play his typical innings to prevent further collapse and accelerate at the end, he did.

It's true he could have accelerated a bit more towards the end, but all our big guns failed.
Comparing Klassen's innings with Kohli's is not apt. Either SKY or Pant was supposed to play an innings like Klassen's, but they bottled. After being 30/3, Kohli had to play his typical innings to prevent further collapse and accelerate at the end, he did.
That's fair, but it doesn't change the fact that It was a similar innings that got england to butcher india in 2022 and they didn't have bumrah to save them

I am not saying it was the only innings that mattered.

Bumrah is a champion bowler and did his part.

But if Kohli had got out early and India ended up with 140, you still would have laughed at Kohli for not being able to perform in the final as well.

Looking back who else was going to score runs?

Pandya? Dube? Jadeja?

How do you explain that?

Kohli should have retired before the WC. Anyway, played well today otherwise India was going to get bowled out cheaply.

I am not saying it was the only innings that mattered.

Bumrah is a champion bowler and did his part.

But if Kohli had got out early and India ended up with 140, you still would have laughed at Kohli for not being able to perform in the final as well.

Looking back who else was going to score runs?

Pandya? Dube? Jadeja?

How do you explain that?
Ya that's fair

Much respect for Kohli. That's how you retire. Rohit Sharma and jadeja should follow.

As a Pakistan fan good riddance, hope he follows suit in the other two formats!
He's an ATG, he may have been a thorn in t20 by the back end but saying good riddance because he isn't playing against pakistan anymore won't tip the scales.

Jaiswal and abisheikh will follow and they might not have his career but they'll still be more then enough to dismantle pakistan atleast.

The retirement is his idea to force the BCCI to keep selecting him in ODIs. He wants to feature in 2027 edition FGS.

He's an ATG, he may have been a thorn in t20 by the back end but saying good riddance because he isn't playing against pakistan anymore won't tip the scales.

Jaiswal and abisheikh will follow and they might not have his career but they'll still be more then enough to dismantle pakistan atleast.
Sorry I’m genetically opposed to giving that man any praise!

The retirement is his idea to force the BCCI to keep selecting him in ODIs. He wants to feature in 2027 edition FGS.

In 2023 he scored over a thousand ODI runs averaging 70 and striking at 100. Why would retiring from ODIs even be on his mind until at least a few more years?

Team carried him to WC glory, happy for him and good that he contributed in the final for a change. 😌

Fair statement would be that team carried him through the group stages and semis but he definitely carried India on his shoulders on the final. There’s a reason he’s the man of the match.

KohliSpanMatRunsHSAveSR
100​
50​
overall2010-2024
125​
4188​
122*
48.69​
137.04​
1​
38​
home2011-2024
46​
1577​
94*
50.87​
148.63​
0​
14​
away2010-2024
39​
1205​
90*
41.55​
136.46​
0​
10​
neutral2012-2024
40​
1406​
122*
54.07​
126.43​
1​
14​
1st innings2011-2024
70​
2175​
122*
38.83​
137.57​
1​
18​
2nd innings2010-2024
53​
2013​
94*
67.1​
136.47​
0​
20​
won match2010-2024
82​
2979​
122*
59.58​
137.78​
1​
27​
lost match2011-2022
37​
1160​
89*
35.15​
135.35​
0​
11​
tied match2020-2024
3​
49​
38​
16.33​
132.43​
0​
0​

Perfect occasion to call off from this format. Greatest limted overs batsman India have ever produced.

His innings today was the difference between South Africa chasing 140 or 170.

And while you might hate this knock, you need runs on the board for bowlers to defend.

So it was a great innings in a final where all major 3 flopped.
Rightly said . Otherwise it would have been repeat of 2023 ODI World Cup when india did get par score of 280 which was Messed up KL Rahul.

Todays match kohli ensured , he stayed till the end showing a way for klasen despite his brilliance.

You can get similar batting talent but tough to emulate mental fortitude and temperament of kohli. Kohli/dhoni/rohit once in a generational players.

ICC U-19 WC Champion
-ICC ODI WC Champion
-ICC Champions Trophy
-ICC T20 WC Champion
-2 POTT in T20WCs
-1 POTT in ODIWC
-Most ICC MOTMs
-Most Runs, Best Avg, Most 50+ scores in ICC KOs

One of the best player of the game.
Yeah he wont it all. Yuvi had to share the CT with lanka but Kohli has won all of em.

His innings was iffy today but he deserves a bit of a leeway the way he carried this team in previous T20 World cups.

Hope he wins the WTC at Lords next year and signs off from his favourite format or probably international cricket as a whole in a grand manner.

No. Most runs doesn't account to best t20. Many of his runs were for losing causes.

In my book, yes. Some of the innings he played was just mind blowing. I still remember some of the innings and even some of the shots he played over the years. I was not a fan of him being included in this World Cup but he has been a blessed soul from the beginning. Destiny wanted him to end it on high. I am glad he is retiring with World Cup to show for his genius. Not everyone gets to go with a fairytale ending. He did and richly deserved.

End of an era in T20Is.. both Kohli and Rohit gone, albeit on a well deserved high. Hopefully more things in store for ODIs and WTC, but this is the beginning of the end.

With stats like these along with eight man of the match awards and two man of the tournament awards in T20 World Cups, there really isn't anyone who can challenge him for the spot of the greatest T20I player of all time.

SeriesRunsAverageSR
2012 World Cup18546.25122.52
2014 World Cup319106.33129.15
2016 World Cup273136.50146.77
2022 World Cup29698.67136.41
Overall418848.69137.04

Virat Kohli retires from T20Is.

Has he done enough to be called the greatest T20 batter ever?

Yes but I already had him as the GOAT T20I batsman before. Getting the WC win (with an important 50) should seal it further despite a subpar tournament.

He's done a lot for India in previous editions when others let him down.

Thanks for the memories champion.

He's played many times better knocks than yesterday in T20Is but none of them matter as this one did. It may be debated whether it helped or harmed but the truth is that India Won he top scored and was Man of the Match end of.

Can't ask for better farewells than that.

Rohit also retired. Perfect timing.

Virat should retire from Tests too. He is far more redundant in that format and India has already moved on from him a while back.

Was genuinely shocked before the WC that many Indian fans were unhappy about Kohli being in the side. Yes, he didn't perform all tournament, but like Rohit said, for someone who's played 15 years of cricket, you don't think about their form. This is specifically about Kohli. You know what he's capable of it. He hasn't lost his class yet. Why would any team in their right minds not select him? His leadership and aura are vital too. Without him, they don't win this World Cup

mmeh, Asian retirements.
In 6 months time 'I love country, if team need me, I take back retirement, I coming back, I happy!'

Back