Virat Kohli announces his retirement from the T20I

There is nobody who could hold a candle to him in his prime in T20 cricket. He could create magic like nobody else could in that format.

He was the under-19 world cup team as well when they won against Kane williamson's under-19 team in the final. Kane, boult, southee, Jadeja were part of that squad.

U-19 doesn't count much. It is for getting youngsters ready.

Senior's team counts only.

U-19 doesn't count much. It is for getting youngsters ready.

Senior's team counts only.
It is one of the most competitive iCC tournament. I still remember from 2006 world cup where India was undid by Pakistan in the final. Yuvraj singh was an under-19 WC player. Immediately after success promoted to senior level. He was only 18. His first actual innings was against Mcgrath & co. in the ICC knock out. Made 84 in 80 balls. It is a popular well known event.

4 high profile retirements

Boult
Warner
Kohli
Rohit

Interesting information is

Boult played against Kohli in under-19 world cup semi final in 2008

Warner played against Rohit in under-19 world cup groups tage in 2006

These under-19 tournaments are my nostalgic memories. It is fascinating to see how players like Southee, Boult, Kane, Kohli, Rohit, Jadeja .. evolved over the years and took their game to next level.

Jadeja was also part of both world cups 2006/2008. He has also retired. SHould we start a separate retirement thread :)

2 wt20s Player of the Tournament
Highest scorer in 2 wt20s
Motm in a wt20 final
2 of the greatest wt20 knocks
(82* against Australia and 82* against Pakistan)

Though I have been critical of him this tournament, he definitely is one of the greatest in wt20 history if not the greatest.

Javed Miandad on the retirement of Virat Kohli said:

“We will still see them in Test and 50-overs cricket but it is befitting for their career that they left T20 internationals in glory,”

“The discipline and professionalism and fitness of Kohli makes him a top role model to follow and his admirers will be as good as him as well,”

They will miss him.

Whether he plays slowly or not, Kohli has an aura to him that boosts his teammates.

Same Indian side without him today might have completely fallen apart after the initial burst of wickets.
So aptly put. Former 1983 World Cup Indian team member, ex-cricketer Srikanth said, "Sachin, Dhoni and Kohli have a presence and aura about them which instills belief and rubs on to others. Kohli is beyond strike rate or 6 hitting, his presence in the crease helped India reach close to 180.

I remember the very first time I saw Kohli bat. Him and Sehwag knocking the daylight out of BD in 2011 WC.

Virat had a lump in his throat for sure. Retiring now is the right thing to do letting the next group of players settle in for when they defend their title. It would be futile, aimless and selfish for him to continue playing T 20's. Surely, he doesn't need the money then retire with your dignity in tact.

Thanks for the memories Virat.

He was a man possessed in the 2016 QF vs Australia. I know that Pakistan knock in 2022 was magical but in 2016 he played like his life was in the line every single delivery. The way he converted 1s to 2s that night, it’s one of the best efforts I have seen from a batsman.

Can we have a final anywhere else other than that pompous rainy country. We will start as favourites, including in Australia.

Why does England keep getting to host these finals

They keep hoping England will reach the finals.

Lasting legacy: Looking back at Virat Kohli's best T20 World Cup innings

The T20 World Cup Final's Player of the Match certainly bowed out on a high.

Finishing a stellar T20I career with a Player of the Match performance - that's just quintessential Virat Kohli.

He ends his international career in the format with the most runs of any player at Men's T20 World Cups - 1,292 between 2012 and 2024, in 33 innings across 35 matches.

What's more, he averages 58.72, with a strike-rate of 128.81.

As he steps back from representing India in T20 internationals, it's a fine time to look back at some of his superlative performances in T20 World Cups.

78* v Pakistan, 2012

A memorable match in Colombo in the Super Eights, as Kohli scored 78 not out off 61 balls, forming a vital third-wicket partnership with Yuvraj Singh to grab India an eight-wicket win.

It wasn't just his batting prowess that got Kohli the Player of the Match award, though; he also weighed in with the ball, taking 1/21.

72* v South Africa, 2014

Chasing a target of 173 in the semi-final, it was a stage set for Kohli. He hit 72 off 43 balls, including five fours and two sixes, to steer India through to the final. They finished as runners-up, but Kohli was named player of the tournament, having scored the most runs with 319 to his credit.

82* v Australia, 2016

Kohli saw another run-chase home in Mohali, looking to reach 161 but with India teetering at 49/3. With the innings shored up, they then needed 39 from the final 18 balls - and Kohli came out firing, hitting 32 off 11 and steering his side to the Super 10 stage win.

82* v Pakistan, 2022

Kohli never knows when he's beaten. With India on 31/4, chasing a target of 160, it needed a superlative performance from a superlative player.

And that's what the MCG crowd got as he partnered with Hardik Pandya to sneak an unlikely win in the final ball of this Super 12 match, finishing with 82 runs off just 53 balls.

76 v South Africa, 2024

What a way to sign off. Virat Kohli is the man for the big occasion. Brushing off his ambivalent form in the tournament prior to the Final, he stepped up to hit 76 off 59, securing himself yet another Player of the Match award as India won the T20 World Cup 2024 by seven runs.

Lasting legacy: Looking back at Virat Kohli's best T20 World Cup innings

The T20 World Cup Final's Player of the Match certainly bowed out on a high.

Finishing a stellar T20I career with a Player of the Match performance - that's just quintessential Virat Kohli.

He ends his international career in the format with the most runs of any player at Men's T20 World Cups - 1,292 between 2012 and 2024, in 33 innings across 35 matches.

What's more, he averages 58.72, with a strike-rate of 128.81.

As he steps back from representing India in T20 internationals, it's a fine time to look back at some of his superlative performances in T20 World Cups.

78* v Pakistan, 2012

A memorable match in Colombo in the Super Eights, as Kohli scored 78 not out off 61 balls, forming a vital third-wicket partnership with Yuvraj Singh to grab India an eight-wicket win.

It wasn't just his batting prowess that got Kohli the Player of the Match award, though; he also weighed in with the ball, taking 1/21.

72* v South Africa, 2014

Chasing a target of 173 in the semi-final, it was a stage set for Kohli. He hit 72 off 43 balls, including five fours and two sixes, to steer India through to the final. They finished as runners-up, but Kohli was named player of the tournament, having scored the most runs with 319 to his credit.

82* v Australia, 2016

Kohli saw another run-chase home in Mohali, looking to reach 161 but with India teetering at 49/3. With the innings shored up, they then needed 39 from the final 18 balls - and Kohli came out firing, hitting 32 off 11 and steering his side to the Super 10 stage win.

82* v Pakistan, 2022

Kohli never knows when he's beaten. With India on 31/4, chasing a target of 160, it needed a superlative performance from a superlative player.

And that's what the MCG crowd got as he partnered with Hardik Pandya to sneak an unlikely win in the final ball of this Super 12 match, finishing with 82 runs off just 53 balls.

76 v South Africa, 2024

What a way to sign off. Virat Kohli is the man for the big occasion. Brushing off his ambivalent form in the tournament prior to the Final, he stepped up to hit 76 off 59, securing himself yet another Player of the Match award as India won the T20 World Cup 2024 by seven runs.

T20 legend and only one to have Two Mos and now finally cup.

Can we have a final anywhere else other than that pompous rainy country. We will start as favourites, including in Australia.

Why does England keep getting to host these finals.

Some back room deal. They get WTC finals and one ICC even in this 8 year cycle.

BCCI needs to end the next IPL by May 25. Send team to England 15 days early for WTC.

While I respect kohli I humbly disagree.

If klaseen got sa over the line everyone would be cursing kohli.

Bumrah and SKY are the real MVP's today

Some fans have no clue about how sports work.

Cricket is a team sport.
Kohli’s innings was well paced. A player anchors and paces their innings depending on what the team management conveys the score should be.
When players in middle call for water or gloves the 12th man conveys the messages to and fro.

The score changes depending on how fast how many wickets you lose.

Kohli’s innings was a master stroke and a very well paced innings. He accelerated at the right time and ensured India got to 170+ which was the score Indian team wanted.

The bowlers, fielders etc did their job.

Had South Africa won the match, it would have been the South African team who executed their plans perfectly.

Fans especially here on PP are nerds who criticise everything without understanding the context nor having played any team sport at any decent level.

Both South Africa and India played great cricket and it could have gone either side. In such matches it’s all about who handles pressure better.

Kohli, axar Patel, klassen and decock all played as per the situation.

Cricket has bowlers as well, if a bowler balls well and gets you out it doesn’t mean the batsman is at fault.

That’s how team sports work.

Virat Kohli retires from T20Is.

Has he done enough to be called the greatest T20 batter ever?

You can’t judge greatest batsmen in T20. It depends on how much value you give to different roles.

Power hitting opener
Anchor
Lower order power hitter

Kohli is the best batsmen in his role of anchor/chaser.

Gayle is probably the best opener.

Lower order power hitter is up for debate I guess.

Wasim Akram all praise for team India and Kohli:

"Congratulations to India on winning the T20 World Cup 2024 final. Congratulations for the way they have won the match, the way they have won the tournament. I already said it before the World Cup that they are the favorites to win the tournament and they proved it. They have been unbeaten in the whole tournament, be it batting, bowling, fielding, or the bravery with which they played,"

"At one stage, I thought South Africa will win when they needed run-a-ball and Klaasen and Miller were having a great partnership. But Bumrah proved why he is the best fast bowler in the world right now. Whether it's red-ball cricket or white-ball cricket, he always delivers for his team. He provided the wickets when his team needed it from him,"

"Virat Kohli is a great player because he wins you the match. Today when two wickets fell early, he (Kohli) assessed the pitch and conditions, and decided to bat long. He completed his responsibility and this is called a match-winner. Well done Virat. We're super proud of you. The way you've batted not just in this innings, but in your career. It's a sad thing that you've retired from T20Is and the upcoming generation will miss out (on your batting). But you proved that you're one of the greats of the game. Congrats for your future,"

Biggest announcement for KOhli would be retirement in ODI/Test format. T20 retirement is no big deal these days. He still will play franchise cricket. As it is he missed like 30 to 40 T20Is in the last 2 years

Biggest announcement for KOhli would be retirement in ODI/Test format. T20 retirement is no big deal these days. He still will play franchise cricket. As it is he missed like 30 to 40 T20Is in the last 2 years
I think he wants to travel to Pakistan, he has way too many fans there to miss that opportunity, probably along with Jaddu ll be our weak link

Legendary T20 cricketer , thanks for the memories virat. But my only worry is who will win us next T20 matches vs pakistan?. MCG T20 vs pakistan that two sixes to rauf was his best innings till time.

Legendary T20 cricketer , thanks for the memories virat. But my only worry is who will win us next T20 matches vs pakistan?. MCG T20 vs pakistan that two sixes to rauf was his best innings till time.
Who won us this time? Or before Kohli? It’s a game if PCT win they deserved it.
If any Indian batsman wants to be a hero he will step up.

Finally a cricketer from my generation whose career happened during my life time retires.

Still remember him palying ipl 2008 and the commies going on about kohli this and kohli that as he was just coming in after winnin and u19 world cup.

What a career this guy has had
Man I grew up watching this guy. Will never forget his 183 against Pakistan. I’m so happy for him.

Man I grew up watching this guy. Will never forget his 183 against Pakistan. I’m so happy for him.
Broo that 183, i was in new delhi at that time.

That defeat really hurt me man. Was so excited when pakistan posted a 300+ score. Before that game kohli was getting out to us on low scores, but that one innings changed how i looked at kohli.

After that innings i finally started to admire the guy and accepted that till he is on the wicket you cannot claim the game. Either it was him or it was dhoni you had to get out to win.

What a game that was, we still won the asia cup, but that innings by Kohli was one of the best odi innings i had ever witnessed

Who won us this time? Or before Kohli? It’s a game if PCT win they deserved it.
If any Indian batsman wants to be a hero he will step up.
Defenetely not a batsman...it's bumrah who won us....i m talking about batting

His knock vs Pakistan in 2022 and vs Australia in 2016 were legendary knocks and I had the privilege of witnessing it live.

Then there are few more which are top class knocks but those two would probably be on top of the tree for everyone out there.

Suryakumar Yadav, while speaking to a local media outlet, has heaped praise on teammate Virat Kohli's fitness regime, stating that Kohli has been an inspiration to him:

"He (Virat Kohli) is a powerhouse of energy on the ground, irrespective of his performance."

"In 2022, when I made my debut, I did most of my batting with him during the bilateral series and then the World Cup. I realised if I have to bat with him, I have to match his fitness, because he takes two quick runs by pushing a ball in the gaps and then he slams a four."

'Ahankar Aa Jata Hai': Virat Kohli's Honest Admission to PM Narendra Modi on His Poor Form During T20 World Cup​

Virat Kohli has admitted that his ‘ego’ got the better of him as he struggled to get going during the recent T20 World Cup where India became the champions. Kohli wasn’t at his usual best as he kept getting out for low scores as even as fellow opener and team captain Rohit Sharma kept setting the pace with a series of impressive performances.

Kohli opened up on his struggles during an interaction with Prime Minister Narendra Modi who had invited India’s world cup winning squad at his official residence on Thursday morning.

“First of all, thank you so much for inviting us,” Kohli said. “This day (T20 World Cup final) will always stay with me because during the entire tournament, I wasn’t able to contribute to the level as I wanted to (for the team).

He continued, “There was a point when I told Rahul bhai that I am not doing justice to myself and the team so far. He replied ‘when the situation demands, I am confident you will perform’. So the kind of tournament I had, I wasn’t confident that I will be able to bat the way I wanted to during the final.”

Kohli revealed the chat he had with Rohit during the final of the T20 World Cup against South Africa after he clattered three boundaries in the very first over of the match, bowled by Marco Jansen.

“So when I struck three fours in four deliveries so I told Rohit that ‘What a game this is! One day you feel like not being able to score a single run and then there’s another when everything starts working out. So, when we lost three wickets, I had to surrender myself to the situation. I was only focused on what’s important for the team,” Kohli recalled.

“I felt that I have been pushed into that zone and I can’t explain the reason behind it. Later, I realised, what’s destined will happen. So the manner in which we won the match, how it turned around. We can’t explain what was going through our minds. At one point we had lost hope then Hardik took that wicket (of Heinrich Klaasen). Then we got back into the groove with each delivery. I am happy to have contributed at such a big occasion. I will never forget this,” he added.

PM Modi then asked Kohli about the reaction of his family.

“There are moments when everybody ends up keeping their faith on yourself and it becomes a driving force some times. But tell me, how was the reaction of your family?” he asked.

Kohli said due to the difference in time zone, he wasn’t able to interact much with his family.

Kohli revealed he realised that his ego has taken over and he needs to put it aside for the benefit of the team.

“I realised when you feel you can do anything, your ego takes over and the game pulls away from you. I had to keep my ego aside. The situation was such that I had to keep my pride aside for team. When you respect the game, it respects you. So that’s what I experienced,” he said.

“The good thing is, that there’s was a sizeable time difference so I didn’t talk to my family much. My mother ends up getting worried,” Kohli said.

Back