West Indies (130/1) defeat USA (128) comfortably by 9 wickets in Super 8 Group 2 clash of ICC T20 World Cup 2024

West Indies impress against USA in Barbados to stay in semi-final race

Strong performances from Roston Chase and Shai Hope helped the West Indies to an easy victory against the USA.

The West Indies have stayed in the race for a semi-final berth at the ICC Men's T20 World Cup with an impressive nine-wicket victory over USA in Barbados on Friday.

Roston Chase (3/19) and Andre Russell (3/31) were in good touch with the ball as the USA were dismissed for just 128 and an unbeaten 82* from Shai Hope ensured the victory target was achieved within 11 overs at Kensington Oval.

The triumph was the West Indies first of the Super Eights phase of the tournament and leaves them in contention for a place in the final four should they be able to defeat South Africa in their last game of the stage.

It leaves USA without a win from two Super Eight contests and means the tournament co-hosts will need everything to go their way in their match against England on Sunday if they are to sneak into the semi-final spots.

USA's innings never reached great heights after they were sent into bat first by West Indies captain Rovman Powell.

Andries Gous top-scored for the USA with 29, while Nitish Kumar (20), Milind Kumar (19) and Shadley van Schalkwyk (18) also chimed in as the West Indies took wickets at regular intervals to stay in control of the contest.

Hope was in devastating touch with the bat as he cleared the rope on eight occasions to help guide West Indies home and give them a valuable boost to their net run rate ahead of a cut-throat clash with South Africa on Sunday.

ICC

I agree with your assessment of Pakistan team but Dallas pitch had something for the bowlers. The ball moved around, any other team with decent bowling line up would have defended 160 on that pitch. Pakistan bowled so many full tosses but even then they almost defended 160 on that pitch. Today’s pitch was very flat. There was absolutely nothing for any bowler.
USA from overs 1 to 15 were smacking Pakistan black and blue and cruising with no difficulties.

They took it to the end cause their a minnow, Same reason as to why Nepal took it to the end and failed against SA even though they had it in the bag.

Jones also smacked 10 sixes on dallas against Canada. It was simply the case of a very inexperienced team facing a test playing nation albeit a very weak and crap test playing nation, So they choked cause of the pressure of causing an upset.

USA from overs 1 to 15 were smacking Pakistan black and blue and cruising with no difficulties.

They took it to the end cause their a minnow, Same reason as to why Nepal took it to the end and failed against SA even though they had it in the bag.

Jones also smacked 10 sixes on dallas against Canada. It was simply the case of a very inexperienced team facing a test playing nation albeit a very weak and crap test playing nation, So they choked cause of the pressure of causing an upset.
But Pakistan throughout the match bowled very poorly. Bowling was full of full tosses. Whenever Pakistan pitched the ball in the right areas it swing. Cutters were effective. Amir bowled very good cutters. Naseem was able to move the ball with his back of length line. On tonight’s pitch, nothing was effective. Even when West Indies bowled cutters ball wasn’t gripping at all.

But Pakistan throughout the match bowled very poorly. Bowling was full of full tosses. Whenever Pakistan pitched the ball in the right areas it swing. Cutters were effective. Amir bowled very good cutters. Naseem was able to move the ball with his back of length line. On tonight’s pitch, nothing was effective. Even when West Indies bowled cutters ball wasn’t gripping at all.
Hmm, okay Fair enough, I agree.

South Africa have no chance of qualifying on NRR now. Need to beat WI to qualify I think.

What a joke.

West Indies cricketers not even celebrating a single wicket or a milestone.

US hasn’t beaten anyone since Pakistan got their pants pulled down on June 6th. I think this defeat will finish our cricket, the belief to beat even lowly ranked teams will be completely gone.
we need to make structural changes. Our cricket will not die because of this defeat but our cricket is already dying, and this defeat is a symptom, not the cause.

South Africa have no chance of qualifying on NRR now. Need to beat WI to qualify I think.
I think WI will fancy against SA... Whenever there's slight pressure (as you mentioned even though they are at the top of the table now, but a defeat will not guarantee SF qualification because of lower NRR due to tight match against USA) this slight pressure is enough for SA to unravel their choke business! And WI is a good enough team (playing at home also) to encash this...

If Cricket was a popular sport like football, Pakistan would be minnow team by now considering how unprofessional PCB is.

Shai Hope (West Indies player) post-match Press Conference - 21st June 2024

[Reporter:]

Just start by giving us your assessment of the team's performance given the circumstances around the victory.

[Shai Hope:]

I would say very clinical, especially coming off the loss that we had a couple days ago. It's great to see the guys understood the assignment today and we played the cricket that we wanted to play. It's important for us to continue in this vein because we see what's at stake now. But yeah, very happy with the bounce back that we did today and there's a lot more cricket to play and we're looking forward to it.

Personally, what does it mean for you to do it in front of your home crowd? It must be special.

Yeah, it's a great feeling. Again, whatever the team requires, that's me. Unfortunately, King had to leave us. Hopefully, he recovers quickly. But yeah, I had to go at the top this time around and the aim was just to get off to a good start. You see the importance of finishing the game early as well. So yeah, I had a good time in the middle, good surface and I enjoyed batting tonight.

What we saw there from you tonight, Shea, was very, very explosive, perhaps maybe a bit out of character I mean have you ever batted as well as that in a T20 game?

I mean ok many people might see you as a textbook batsman , grafting, maybe batting at maybe a strike rate of say 105 110 but this evening I mean you really up the ante.

I guess you need to watch a little more cricket. But yeah, it's again just playing in a situation we understood that what's at stake We know that in this situation here where we could play a part. So, 105 strike it wasn't going to be the play today. So again, just playing the situation that's one thing that I pride myself on as a batsman, as a cricketer. And yeah, we just did the job today.

At the start there going out to chase were you aware of the different calculations in terms of what was required to go ahead of England to go ahead of South Africa?

Not entirely the main aim today coming out in the meetings as well was just to get the W ensure we play our cricket and the important thing is to focus on our skills not necessarily get too far ahead of ourselves because we understood the importance of winning the game first and foremost because if we didn't win the game then we know what's going to happen - so winning the game and as long as we tick our boxes, then I think the rest will take care of itself and I guess that's what happened to it.

Shai, just carrying on from this, even at the start of the chase, you hadn't calculated that you need to get these runs in a certain number of overs to go past South Africa on NRR?

Not entirely as I said before. We didn't want to get too far ahead of ourselves because sometimes that can play on the negative side. So yes, we understood the importance of getting the game finished quickly, but we didn't want to get too far ahead of ourselves we just played the power play - the aim was to play the power play as normal as we could, put away the bad balls, put the guys on the pressure, started over stuff like that and then we assess after the power play and then decided that we wanted to finish by a certain stage. So that's what came out of the plans and the meetings.

You have had one or two hiccups, well, maybe more like one, in terms of the bowling rope. While you may not have maximized your batting or something, I think that in the previous game the bowling maybe wasn't as impactful as one would have wanted. I noticed that there's a lot of dependence on the pacers, although you've got three spinners, and it tends to be a pattern that the spinners tend not to bowl out, although they have often been the most economical of the bowlers. And tonight was an example of that, where Motie and Hosain didn't bowl out. Is this a particular policy where you aim not to bowl out the spinners or is it just according to the flow of the game?

I think you know who's the best person to answer that question.

Yes, I know but I just hope that you would have some insight from your team meetings?

Again, if you're watching on from the sidelines, you'd understand that it's horses for courses. It's not every day that each bowler would bowl out. We've got more than five bowlers in the team. So, depending on what's required in a certain situation, then we would decide to lean towards a particular bowler. It just so happened that the spinners didn't bowl out today. I'm sure if the pitch was ragging a bit more because I thought that the surface was pretty good to bat on, ball was coming on nicely - so I'm sure that's the reason why Rovman tended to lean towards the pacers in the back end especially. But if the pitch was gripping a bit more, if it was spinning a lot more, stopping, holding, then I'm sure you'd see 12 overs of spin.

But again, yeah, just playing the situation, understanding what is required at a particular time, and whoever bowlers we have to do the job are not there, then I'm sure we're going to choose them.

So how special do you think the knock was? It feels like it was a stuff of dreams, a World Cup game in your backyard, and you're scoring in this fashion. And also, a word on the atmosphere out there, because it was kind of mesmerizing for someone like me, who's been to the Caribbean for the first time. And it was like party from ball one to ball 200, until the end.

So that sounds like you enjoyed it today then. Perfect.

To the full extent.

People ask me to go to oysters now.

Yeah, It was an amazig crowd. It's nice to see everyone came out and support us today. Something that we get in the Caribbean when we're doing well, we tend to see a lot more supporters out there. So that means we must be doing something right if you've got a solo crowd. But yeah, the crowd was rocking today. I thought that the support was amazing. Again, I'm from Barbados so playing in front of this lovely crowd meant a lot more to me. Scoring some runs and winning the game for the team felt even more special so I'm very happy to do that.

Yes, Shia, you mentioned the crowd and the crowd's support. Obviously, the West Indies have done tremendous in the group stage. We didn't get the Super 8 stage off to the start that we wanted, but what is your message here to the West Indian fans around the region? What do you want to tell them at this point in terms of the tournament?

Keep rallying. That's our motto. We always talk about rallying around the West Indies. That's exactly what we need to keep doing. The team rallying around each other. The fans need to do the same. We're out there fighting for each and every one of us. So, you understand the importance and the magnitude of the tournament. We're playing a home World Cup, something that I'm sure a lot of cricketers over their careers may not get the opportunity to do. We understand the importance of this in particular and we know how much the fans really want us to win so we're fighting, we're doing it for them and it's great to see the support I hope that it continues for the rest of the tournament.

I can see why you were not pleased when you were asked about your strike rate because your strike rate has been upwards for the last two years. I just wanted to ask you, what has changed in the last two years? Is it, was it just the conditions earlier or is it you have gone back and added things to your batting? Just can you explain these last two years?

To be honest, it's just a situation, man. It's whatever requires it. There's some games where the conditions may be challenging and you have to fight. You can't just go out there and try to smash everybody off a six or four. Someone has to stick in and play along.

[inaudible]

So again, I don't think people realize that.

Today's victory was pretty resounding. It was pretty clinical. But I have a question for you about your opposition. You've been playing internationally for almost a decade. I would imagine most of your career you never gave much thought to the US as a national team. They never came on your radar that often, I would imagine. But you've seen the tournament they've had so far until today. What can you say about them as a team, despite the performance today?

Plain and simple, you can't get to the Super 8 stage without playing good cricket. They're supposed to be the best eight teams in the tournament at this stage so they showed why they deserve to be here and I must say they play some really good cricket up to this stage. I played against a few of the guys, I played with some of the guys as well, Aaron Jones who grew up here. But yeah, I must commend them for their journey so far. You can see why they're here in the Super 8 so I must commend them.

You didn't play in the first three games right, came in for the last game of the group stage, did reasonably well but then found yourself on the bench for the Super 8, called up again tonight. I mean against that background how much of a challenge is it to keep focus?

Just have to stay ready in a tournament like this. There's a reason why we have 15 players. All of them need to be ready whenever the time comes. And again, there are different conditions that we have to face, we've got St. Lucia which is one of the better surfaces. Then we got Guyana which tends to turn and play a little bit lower so again horses for courses. You got to ensure that you're ready to play each situation and we have players to play in certain conditions as well.

So again, everyone is ready to play. We have a full squad of players. It's not just 11 guys in the team. So yeah, I understand the reason why I'm not playing, but everyone in the 15 will love to be up there in the 11, but we understand the reason for the 11 going out there on a particular day, but we're all ready to play.

Anyone missing Pakistan yet?

USA is a joke team.

I repeat, associates have no business playing main rounds.
Making out like Pak is some world class team they would have got humiliated in the super 8s aswell would have been 60/0 to 110 all out !! & run machine for opposition Rauf would have conceded 90 in one of the games.

I think WI will fancy against SA... Whenever there's slight pressure (as you mentioned even though they are at the top of the table now, but a defeat will not guarantee SF qualification because of lower NRR due to tight match against USA) this slight pressure is enough for SA to unravel their choke business! And WI is a good enough team (playing at home also) to encash this...
But SA has a decent bowling unit. Unless it is a road they will have the edge. Also i think Shamsi will come in.

These are the same players that caused Amir to start shaking at the knees when bowling a super over.
Wi has bowled us out for 110 in the past.

Rn their t20 team is leagues > us in all departments irrespective of which bowler, only Naseem is up for contention on current form.

They'd maul us into pieces if we played them. Pakistan as a unit is slightly weaker then usa as usa has 3 established batsmen in Jones and the openers and one good bowler while Pakistan has one good bowler(Naseem) and no established batters.

Abrar isn't being played for sheddy love.

Rn their t20 team is leagues > us in all departments irrespective of which bowler, only Naseem is up for contention on current form.

They'd maul us into pieces if we played them. Pakistan as a unit is slightly weaker then usa as usa has 3 established batsmen in Jones and the openers and one good bowler while Pakistan has one good bowler(Naseem) and no established batters.

Bruh, it's a good thing we were eliminated early in the group stages instead of being stuck between WI, Sa and End and being placed fourth in that group.

Bruh, it's a good thing we were eliminated early in the group stages instead of being stuck between WI, Sa and End and being placed fourth in that group.
SA we can upset due to their choke mentality, Like they bowled 5 full tosses in an over yesterday. But usually 8 out of 10 times they'd beat us, with 7 times being a mauling.

WI and ENG maul us into next week. 100 times in a row.

That still doesn't change the fact that these are the guys that Amir couldn't properly land a ball to out of fear and nerves

Consider that Shai Hope is WI's anchor and not renowned for powerhitting.

That was carnage and a welcome boost to NRR. WI vs SA is huge - just a shame it's in the middle of the night for UK viewers.

Consider that Shai Hope is WI's anchor and not renowned for powerhitting.

That was carnage and a welcome boost to NRR. WI vs SA is huge - just a shame it's in the middle of the night for UK viewers.
England can still finish top, just look at their NRR and they're yet to play USA to boost their NRR even further.

On the flip side, One of WI & SA will be managed to match their NRR. If WI wins, SA are out, then England just need to win with a minor margin & they'll qualify too.

This was a forgettable game for the USA. But they put pressure on WI the 1st 6 overs when they made 50. And then played loose shots - nitish jones gous all played poor shots. They should have showed lore match awareness. Hopefully they will lear from it. But one thing i liked was their intent to be positive and not tuk tuk. The execution was flawed though. And WI just raced through the small target

Wow- wi vs sa is not a virtual quarter final knockout game now unless USA beat eng which i don't see happening. Eng is too good like a well oiled machine and the fave to win this t20wc along with Aus. The sa vs wi game will be a good indicator if SA choke in a pressure game again or not! Either way, 2 more exciting games in this group!

Away from American conditions and home momentum which gets them into the game, it was a total squash that.

I would expect USA to lose to England as well.

So West Indies will basically have a QF knockout game against South Africa to try and get into the semis.

Anything other than a West Indies win (and even that might not be enough depending on NRR), and you’d think that it will be England finishing 2nd in the group.

Away from American conditions and home momentum which gets them into the game, it was a total squash that.

I would expect USA to lose to England as well.

So West Indies will basically have a QF knockout game against South Africa to try and get into the semis.

Anything other than a West Indies win (and even that might not be enough depending on NRR), and you’d think that it will be England finishing 2nd in the group.

SA might choke.

Only England can beat AUS in the final.

I can’t even imagine how we won games without Bumrah before Bye Shanto

Back