West Indies (85/5) vs Pakistan - match abandoned after persistent rain in Bridgetown

You cant play a reduce game in advance. The delay had to be happen for the overs to be reduce.

Plus, the weather is unpredictable in the islands like the Caribbean

The delay did happen thou.

What a shame. What's even worse is that the rain is scheduled to stop by evening which means it could have been a full game had it started at normal time.

The inevitable happened. Good that Wasim could ball on debut and got some feel at this level.

Babar did not get a thing they were saying, why not have a senior management person out there with him so he can converse.

Pollard was so casual in changing his bat, and then removed his gloves for no apparent reason. Looks like he was purposefully wasting time and waiting for rain to arrive.

A T5 should've been ideal here.

I don't think pollard wasting a minute would have effected anything.exaclty they proberly would have got all 10 overs in by time the rain came !

Excellent bowling by Hasan Ali.
He has great skills because he is a wise fellow, looks like he has done lot of homework after injury.

Such a shame, that would have been an interesting match.

Nicely poised.

So it becomes a best of 3 from a best of 5.

Oh Pak would've chased this i feel, hard luck but onto the next one. Good bowling by Pak and nice counter attack from Pollard.

That was the original schedule. Cricket Windies requested one test to be replaced with two more T20s due to it being World T20 year.

Main reason was they couldn't afford to host a 3rd test according to Wasim Khan

That was the original schedule. Cricket Windies requested one test to be replaced with two more T20s due to it being World T20 year.

Yes I know but with the weather around they should have just had a reserve day instead like try play this abandoned game tomorrow rather than having 2 days rest.

Main reason was they couldn't afford to host a 3rd test according to Wasim Khan

Yes that was definitely a factor as well especially due to Covid and the financial losses. Pak should look at 3 match test series for home tests in Pak as I doubt many teams other than Eng would be interested in 3 match test series in their backyard now a days anyways. Maybe SA if we push a bit, Aus would avoid unless Pak improve its performance over their.

The target was not huge for a 9 over match with 10 wickets in hand. Pakistan could have bat sensibly and come really close to the target and also might ahve won it . West Indies got lucky there.

Yes I know but with the weather around they should have just had a reserve day instead like try play this abandoned game tomorrow rather than having 2 days rest.

I mentioned the same thing in the thread earlier. Unfortunately the schedules around the bilateral as well as ICC tournaments are not flexible enough to incorporate such changes due to a lot variable factors. Its definitely something which is possible and boards and ICC need to look into it as there is no other feasible solution in sight to reduce the impact of rain.

Why can’t they come back later and play under lights? Cricket rules can be really stupid at times!

There are slots reserved months ahead, for airtime, sponsored material, TV ads, streaming contracts, logistics and many, many more arrangements.

This is not a "galli mohallay ka match".

There are slots reserved months ahead, for airtime, sponsored material, TV ads, streaming contracts, logistics and many, many more arrangements.

Exactly, but most people fail to understand this concept.

Disappointing stuff, I think that the venue could have been different if rain was anticipated, but whatever.

There is a long gap between the last T20I and the first test match, so I think there could have been better scheduling to allow for another game.

People seem to be v confident here i am.sure we would have struggled to chase the 85

What a shame. What's even worse is that the rain is scheduled to stop by evening which means it could have been a full game had it started at normal time.

This was not feasible. The advertisers pay for it for their target audience in Pakistan so that is why the early start. All the sponsors are mainly from Pakistan.

I'm still not convinced on management direction or strategy with very limited opportunities given to new players traveling with team. While other teams are testing their bench strength for T20 World Cup, Pakistan team management continue to play same players in pretty much every match with a risk to not lose another series.

The T20I series between West Indies and Pakistan has effectively turned into a best of three contest after the opening match was rained out.

With the T20I campaign reduced from five matches to four due to a fixture rejig in the West Indies-Australia ODI series, the opening match between the hosts and Pakistan only saw nine overs of play due to rain.

Showers set in just moments after the anthems were sung and continued for the next two and a half hours before play was finally possible with a nine-over-a-side match declared.

Having elected to field some three hours earlier, Pakistan kept West Indies to 85/5 from their nine overs with Hasan Ali the pick of the bowlers, taking 2/11 from his two-over allotment.

Those figures continue an impressive year for Hasan. The seamer has taken 16 wickets at 13.56 across eight T20Is in 2021 while leaking just 7.84 runs per over – form that bodes well for Pakistan going into the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021.

Handed his maiden international cap, seam-bowling all-rounder Mohammad Wasim (1/20) impacted the match early when he struck Lendl Simmons with a short delivery on the right side of his neck in the second over. The blow, unfortunately, forced Simmons (9 off 7) to retire hurt, departing the field with his right arm in a sling.

The 19-year-old returned with the ball in the seventh over to collect his first wicket for Pakistan, having Chris Gayle caught at long-on with a slower ball. Having come out to bat in the second over, Gayle was starved of the strike, facing just seven deliveries for his seven runs.

Having lost Simmons to injury in the second over, West Indies suffered another blow in the third as Hasan struck with his first ball to have Evin Lewis (6 off 5) caught at mid-on. However, West Indies innings looked to be heading in the right direction as they picked up nine runs off Hasan's first over with eight coming through leg byes.

Nicholas Pooran helped himself to a pair of sixes off Mohammad Hafeez (1/12) in the fourth over, with the second seeing the ball lost. The change of balls brought a change of fortune for Pakistan, with Hafeez striking on his next delivery to have Pooran caught at point for 13 off 11.

Gayle and Andre Russell helped themselves to a six each but between the boundaries the runs were few and far between, with Russell departing for seven off six, caught behind off the bowling of Usman Qadir (1/6) in the sixth over and Gayle out in the seventh.

Kieron Pollard’s entry added some impetus to the innings, with the captain helping himself to nine runs off the first three deliveries from Hasan in the eighth over before the quick bit back with the dismissal of Shimron Hetmyer (5 off 5).

Pollard finished the innings with a bang, with his last ball six taking him to an unbeaten 22 off nine and setting up what looked to be an exciting chase.

Instead, the rain returned just as the hosts’ innings concluded and that was the last of the cricket we saw for the day.

WI got nearly 10 per over and we are expected to believe Pak bowled well :))

You have the whole day available, the team isnt travelling until the next day. So no excuse to still complete the match so it comes in the records. If the airtime guys don't want to broadcast it, then too bad for them.

Back