West Indies v India | 1st Test | Kingston | 20-24 June 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love the WI to win it but I can't have any faith in them standing up under pressure.

Given India world number 1 team a good fright though....

Given India world number 1 team a good fright though....

all one needs for good test cricket is a sporting wicket! not even a bowler-friendly wicket at the opposite end of the scale to a batsman's paradise. just a sporting wicket. always rewards quality players and/or those who bat and bowl well on the day. no.1 v no.8 and it's been cracking viewing. these are the games that will hopefully keep test cricket running in my lifetime.

I am sure W.I will collapse below 200 .....

this should be an easy and big victory for India

Where you even watching ? Played effortlessly today .

Yeah effortlessly ... could not deal with one short ball properly from either Edwards or Rampaul. If you can't play the hook international Test cricket is not your domain.

No one backing WI to win?

ahh, screw it, I am here!

WI to win just after the tea by 2 wickets, Chanders 100+ and Sammy 50* among others

:D

Lol at comparing a player of the quality of Steve Waugh to Suresh Raina.

our best team is not playing in windies.ishant and praveen need to lead the bowling attack.

I'm extremely disappointed at Mishra and Bhajji. This pitch was tailormade for them and they're still toiling on it. For Mishra especially, it was such a good chance to shine.

this match can go either way . i hope WI win it , will give them a massive boost but they tend to screw up quite a lot .

Gosh ! " Screw up " during the match ? can they not do it after the match, provided they win it ? Lolz !

My question to all Indian PakPassioners lol

If Raina was given out when he should have been given not out then...

why didnt he refer it ?????? :yk:

My question to all Indian PakPassioners lol

If Raina was given out when he should have been given not out then...

why didnt he refer it ?????? :yk:
Doing it once is fine..
But asking the same question again and again after being replied is TROLLING of Highest ORDER......... :afridi

Harbhajan and Mishra need to bowl for some overs at least with consistent line and length. Yesterday, they were bowling too many bad balls and giving opportunity for batsmen to score and releasing the tension.

If, Harbhajan gets one wicket early today in his spell, he will run through the WI batsmen. Hope, we wrap this match today before tea.

I hope the Windies pull off a miracle win, with some more controversial decisions going the West Indies' way. Apart from being a finger in the direction of the BCCI for sending a B team (the team would lose ranking points if it doesn't win the series 3-0, from what I've heard), it would also, in an ideal world, get them thinking seriously about the DRS.

I hope the Windies pull off a miracle win, with some more controversial decisions going the West Indies' way. Apart from being a finger in the direction of the BCCI for sending a B team (the team would lose ranking points if it doesn't win the series 3-0, from what I've heard), it would also, in an ideal world, get them thinking seriously about the DRS.

Yes, whatho...Not using DRS, does not make any sense, soon or later one has to switch to using that technology, so why not now.

At least, I hope by the start of England series, BCCI will reverse this decision. At the end of the day, it gives one more chance to get the decision right, so why not use it.

Stephen chose not to play that shot as it kept getting him out.

Suresh on the other hand is incapable of it right now.

AZ, I don't think Steve Waugh was a capable/comfortable hook shot player ever. But, the main thing was, he was never afraid to take the body blows and stood up there to face hostile bowling like a fighter. I think the description of what you said may be more apt for Sunil Gavaskar, like who had a brilliant hook shot but employed it rarely to cut short giving chances. But, Sunny did use the hook regularly in 1983 series against rampaging WI team.

I think Suresh, on the other hand seems to expect short ball every alternate ball and seems to think of it even before the ball is delivered. He can learn from Dravid on how to sway from the short pitched balls, you can be successful even without hook, but need to learn to sway properly or play with a tight defence.

Lol at comparing a player of the quality of Steve Waugh to Suresh Raina.

Not really the point, is it? It was a response to a post that if cannot play the hook, you should not be playing international cricket. Lots of top drawer international batsmen cannot hook or play it very badly and hence choose not to play it if possible.

Actually, Ravi Shastri comes to mind on how to play fast bowling properly, even when you don't have the hook. Ravi Shastri a player of very limited strokes and no hook shoot at all, stood tall and played the bouncing ball with immaculate defence or swayed away. He scored centuries against great WI team and also against Australia using this same technique.

AZ, I don't think Steve Waugh was a capable/comfortable hook shot player ever. But, the main thing was, he was never afraid to take the body blows and stood up there to face hostile bowling like a fighter. I think the description of what you said may be more apt for Sunil Gavaskar, like who had a brilliant hook shot but employed it rarely to cut short giving chances. But, Sunny did use the hook regularly in 1983 series against rampaging WI team.

I think Suresh, on the other hand seems to expect short ball every alternate ball and seems to think of it even before the ball is delivered. He can learn from Dravid on how to sway from the short pitched balls, you can be successful even without hook, but need to learn to sway properly or play with a tight defence.

Agreed SW was not 100% but his penchant for it was proving to be his downfall in his initial foray in Test cricket.

Suresh will need to either learn it or completely shelve it, the latter is probably a more prudent approach.

Perhaps needs to be more upright, his crouched stance makes exactly judging the length a bit tricky.

Agreed SW was not 100% but his penchant for it was proving to be his downfall in his initial foray in Test cricket.

Suresh will need to either learn it or completely shelve it, the latter is probably a more prudent approach.

Perhaps needs to be more upright, his crouched stance makes exactly judging the length a bit tricky.

Yes, I think better option is to shelve it and learn to sway properly. There is no shame in swaying to the rising ball when you don't have the shot or don't want to risk your wicket with a hook. But, in his mind he needs to make that decision clear, if he is in two minds of playing/leaving, then he will continue to face issues. He has great players in his team to learn from and hope he uses their tips on this and practices to get over this issue.

people go to england and pace increases.

zak went there came back not just a faster but better bowler.

hell rp singh bowled at 147-149 km/hr for like 3-4 months.

and now ipl...:facepalm:

Actually, Ravi Shastri comes to mind on how to play fast bowling properly, even when you don't have the hook. Ravi Shastri a player of very limited strokes and no hook shoot at all, stood tall and played the bouncing ball with immaculate defence or swayed away. He scored centuries against great WI team and also against Australia using this same technique.

because he was tall indeed :inzi Like 6'4''

people go to england and pace increases.

zak went there came back not just a faster but better bowler.

hell rp singh bowled at 147-149 km/hr for like 3-4 months.

and now ipl...:facepalm:

Wrong thread bro :))

India will win this game with ease still. Once Shiv is gone the rest will followl like a pack of cards. As i said previously the Lead India had on 1st inns has pretty much won them the game.

India will win this game with ease still. Once Shiv is gone the rest will followl like a pack of cards. As i said previously the Lead India had on 1st inns has pretty much won them the game.

I hope so, but harbhajan/mishra needs to bowl well now. It is a turning track, they just need to bowl in right areas for longer periods of time, which they have not been doing yesterday.

Not really the point, is it? It was a response to a post that if cannot play the hook, you should not be playing international cricket. Lots of top drawer international batsmen cannot hook or play it very badly and hence choose not to play it if possible.

Fair point, perhaps should've phrased that differently ... Raina doesn't possess the qualities required to overcome an inability to play a certain stroke. Steve Waugh had pure heart, he wasn't afraid of any bowlers and seemingly didn't get hurt by body blows. He didn't really have the hook but overcame that deficiency through sheer quality in other areas of his game.

Lol at mention of Shastri ... the man averaged 35 in Test cricket.

Fair point, perhaps should've phrased that differently ... Raina doesn't possess the qualities required to overcome an inability to play a certain stroke. Steve Waugh had pure heart, he wasn't afraid of any bowlers and seemingly didn't get hurt by body blows. He didn't really have the hook but overcame that deficiency through sheer quality in other areas of his game.

Hey, since the discussion was about playing bouncing deliveries without a need to hook, I quoted with Ravi Shastri and explicitly mentioned him as a man with limited strokes. What has average got to do with your ability of safely negotiating a bouncer?. You need other shots too and various other aspects of the game to up your average. right?

Agree. Though it might be a little early to write the kid off completely.

Yeah I actually think Raina is ok ... just needs some work on dealing with short balls and he should be fine, in fact pretty sure he'd walk into the Pakistan team right now with no problems.

Sorry cricketfanfirst misinterpreted your post :ibutt

Yeah I actually think Raina is ok ... just needs some work on dealing with short balls and he should be fine, in fact pretty sure he'd walk into the Pakistan team right now with no problems.

Sorry cricketfanfirst misinterpreted your post :ibutt

No worries. Ravi Shastri immediately came to my mind as he was a very limited stroke player but played some 80 odd tests.

WI need just 195 to win !!!
da way Harby was making the bull turn & jump i think we will win this by a margin of 50 to 70 runs but still is a close call .

Let predict West Indies score at the end.

West Indies will be all out for 275.

If MS Dhoni-led Indian team beat the West Indies team under Darren Sammy in the first Test in Kingston, following milestones will be achieved:

# The first instance of an Indian win in the first Test of a series against West Indies in the Caribbean.

# It would be the first instance of two successive wins for India in the Caribbean. They had won the previous Test in the West Indies by 49 runs - at Kingston in 2006.

# Mahendra Singh Dhoni, with 15 wins out of 25, would be overtaking Mohammad Azharuddin's tally of 14 wins out of 47.

# Dhoni's tally of 15 wins would be the second by an Indian captain, next only to Sourav Ganguly - 21 in 49.

# West Indies, in case of a defeat, would be registering their 50th loss in the Caribbean. Their present record reads - Played: 213, Won: 76, Lost: 49 and Drawn: 88 - winning % 35.68

Prediction of WI Second Innings score:

W63L35 - 275 all out.
cricketfanfirst - 258 all out
DeadlyVenom - Windies win with 2 wickets remaining

continue....

Anil Kumble would have run through WI line up on this wicket. How much do we miss him? :( . I am very disappointed with Mishra as he has been very inconsistent and considering how well Bishoo bowled, he has been mediocre. I hope Praveen and Ishant give us the necessary breakthroughs to finish the game.

:)) No way Windies can win and chase over 300 in the 2nd innings!

Windies - 245 all out

All they have is Chandepaul and an inexperienced but talented Bravo.

Nash sucks. He failed in his last 5 innings.
Baugh cant do much
Sammy :facepalm:

If Windies played Andre Russell, and replaced Nash for Marlon Samuels, then they might have won

This is an EASY WI win! Expect the unexpected, this always happens to India, and with a B team they DESERVE IT!!!!

This is an EASY WI win! Expect the unexpected, this always happens to India, and with a B team they DESERVE IT!!!!

You must be jinxing westindies

I think even if they are 300/3, they still willnot be favt, there is always a collapse on card when these windies are at crease.

But if he cannot bowl 6 straight balls consistently without drifting into the pads, he will soon find himself out of the team again...

I like his bowling... But he is frustrating to watch at times..

With is height, pace and swing, he should be one of the top bowlers in the world... He just seems to be an underachiever:danish

I would love for him to succeed, but he will surely find it hard to find a place in the England squad :nehra

He is just 22 WTH are you talking about. Many fast bowlers start their careers at this age and then improve. He has a long career ahead and is gonna one of the best pacers on the world

If these two are still there are lunch its game on.

Personally i think as soon as a wicket falls they will fall like a pack of cards though in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back