What does it say about importance of PSL when a key player leaves to attend a 'pre-wedding' event in India?

Where did i said that the months of the window should be decided by what i say?

Its an idea, offcourse months should be chosen which are suitable for all parties.

Your issue is that why was it suggested that another league run parrellel to IPL in the same months.

You need to watch Football leagues maybe. All the top and small leagues run simultaneously.

Also you again misread my post. The first goal of the leagues were to exist and survive, once that is achieved, the leagues will surely ty to expand and make themselves big. Thats how every big company operates. US and Arabs got there league jsut now, it will take them 5-10 years to further expand, first they will try to survive in the market than go for expansionn later on.

You just cant accept a world where another league can compete and took offense that you started insulting Pakistan because of the idea.

There are other leagues. Some of them like the US and Arab leagues are controlled by Indians.

Insult Pakistan? I told you the difference between a third world economy like pakistan and a emerging economy like India.

This reflects in the way the leagues are run.

There are other leagues. Some of them like the US and Arab leagues are controlled by Indians.

Insult Pakistan? I told you the difference between a third world economy like pakistan and a emerging economy like India.

This reflects in the way the leagues are run.
Leagues are not controlled by individual business owners, leagues are controlled by boards. No matter how rich the owner is, at the end of the day what ever the leagues board decide is final.

Chelsea's owner was a very powerful guy, yet due to the Ukraine and Russia war he had to leave Chelsea. It did not affect the Premier League to the extent that it collapse.

When a franchise owner pulls out, he will sell his franchise and asset at the value which more than what he had bought for previously. So (assuming Indian owners pulling out), when indian owners sell there franchsie, they wont sell it for a loss.

As for Pakistan and India, both fall under the 3rd world country bracket. When India is EVER considered a first world country, than you can talk.

Watch some leagues around the world how they were formed and how they have changed with new market leaders forming
Can u provide some examples?

Other LIV tour and golf, I think of any good examples.

LIV tour is basically bored Saudi throwing cash around.

Where did i said that the months of the window should be decided by what i say?

Its an idea, offcourse months should be chosen which are suitable for all parties.

Your issue is that why was it suggested that another league run parrellel to IPL in the same months.

You need to watch Football leagues maybe. All the top and small leagues run simultaneously.

Also you again misread my post. The first goal of the leagues were to exist and survive, once that is achieved, the leagues will surely ty to expand and make themselves big. Thats how every big company operates. US and Arabs got there league jsut now, it will take them 5-10 years to further expand, first they will try to survive in the market than go for expansionn later on.

You just cant accept a world where another league can compete and took offense that you started insulting Pakistan because of the idea.
I don't know man.

It sounds like a fundamental misunderstanding of cricket economy.

In soccer, it took 30+ years after a World cup to get any traction. It is still behind the 4 major sports. hell even behind college sports.

Don't see cricket getting any traction in the next 10+ years.

Football has countless leagues and seems to thriving. I think the challenge multiple leagues mushrooming all over the world is just growing pains. I don’t even know how many of these leagues are financially sustainable long term. IMO It is matter of when not if the whole ecosystem will find itself in a sustainable shape and form. More regulations or regulatory bodies are rarely the answer to such oriblems.

I think there are ideas out there, with pros and cons, that make sense as a solution to this problem. I've read a few on Cricinfo and to be fair, other sports have solved it to an extent. The NBA is the dominant league in Basketball but other leagues have their place and clubs like Barcelona have fanatic followers.

In the end though, we have to stop raging against the dying of the light and accept the diminution of international cricket. Where hopefully (and I have little hope given the administrators in charge) we are able to differ from some of the sports is still keep international cricket very relevant even if smaller. More than basketball, more even than football.

Stop trying for international cricket quantity but rather focus on quality. Invest in marketing rivalries, hype up high quality contests etc.. Make the viewership experience awesome.

Surprised people are debating this. If this had fallen during IPL players would have pulled out of IPL as well... After all, even IPL money comes from somewhere and Ambani happens to be one of the sources of the Nile.

Ambani > any private cricketing league.

Pollard is employed by Mumbai Indians. He isn't going to upset the owner for a PSL franchisee.

But it's understandable why Pakistanis feel the way they do. If this was a player in IPL i would feel the same.
You always want to remain in good terms with the rich and powerful. And it's PSL, afterall!

Pollard was on their payroll for over a decade. He made more money than he would by playing 100 seasons of PSL.

Why wouldn’t he go?

Pollard has been working for Ambani family for 13 years. He is still employed by them in a very significant role.

Even BCCI has no chance against Ambani let alone PSL lol

Pollard is employed by Mumbai Indians. He isn't going to upset the owner for a PSL franchisee.

But it's understandable why Pakistanis feel the way they do. If this was a player in IPL i would feel the same.

Unfortunately there is a lot of endless waffle being posted so let me break it down in easy and simple terms for us:

If my boss invites me for a personal event and I have a professional commitment elsewhere - I am within my rights to politely decline my boss’ personal invitation..

No need to make a fuss but have to be professional and any reasonable boss will understand..

Remember Ambani is inviting Pollard for a personal function - NOT related in any capacity to Mumbai Indians.. However, Pollard is professional committed to Karachi Kings at the same timeframe so he should have respectfully said no.

End of story

I don't know man.

It sounds like a fundamental misunderstanding of cricket economy.

In soccer, it took 30+ years after a World cup to get any traction. It is still behind the 4 major sports. hell even behind college sports.

Don't see cricket getting any traction in the next 10+ years.
but change took place right? This is how sports operate today and while cricket is on the league bandwagon, now its time to have simultaneous windows

Instead of being mad that Pollard isn't there, what we should be mad about is that the level of talent is SO LOW that nobody is able to step up for the Kings and make a difference. 60 year old Shoaib Malik is still their premier batsman. This was a prime opportunity for someone to step up and make an impact, but no. That is the real tragedy here.

Unfortunately there is a lot of endless waffle being posted so let me break it down in easy and simple terms for us:

If my boss invites me for a personal event and I have a professional commitment elsewhere - I am within my rights to politely decline my boss’ personal invitation..

No need to make a fuss but have to be professional and any reasonable boss will understand..

Remember Ambani is inviting Pollard for a personal function - NOT related in any capacity to Mumbai Indians.. However, Pollard is professional committed to Karachi Kings at the same timeframe so he should have respectfully said no.

End of story

No, it's not the end of the story. If he wants to go and requests permission and the team grants him permission, then he has every right to attend. Thats the end of the story. If he was not granted permission then team should fine or suspend him. But if he was granted permission, then he's free to do whatever he wants.

End of story

Not if your boss is among the top 10 richest people in the word. He might take it as an insult, and it might turn out to be the case of 'biting the hands that feed you'.

And specially not when your professional commitment is towards a B league that doesn't have much to offer to you in the future.

Professional? No! Smart? Yes!

If you dont have a horse in the race it is pretty easy to eulogize your "professionalism" throwing in some employee - boss analogies.

but change took place right?
what change are you referring to? There is a about half dozen defunct soccer leagues in US going all the way to beckenbauer.

Soccer is still a red headed, middle, stepchild in US sports.

the economics of cricket is such a unicorn, there is no equivalence.

closest would be baseball, MLB on top and japan playing second fiddle... a very far seccond. even though there are players from many countries.

So no, not sure what change you are referring to.
This is how sports operate today and while cricket is on the league bandwagon, now its time to have simultaneous windows
so who is going to bell the proverbial cat?

1.e., tell BCCI when they have to play IPL

I mean, its no longer the big 3. its the Big 1

No, it's not the end of the story. If he wants to go and requests permission and the team grants him permission, then he has every right to attend. Thats the end of the story. If he was not granted permission then team should fine or suspend him. But if he was granted permission, then he's free to do whatever he wants.

End of story
PCB should ban Pollard from PSL for this.

PCB should ban Pollard from PSL for this.

If they start banning for this, we can organize the local T20 cup as our PSL tournament as no foreign player would want to come to Pakistan.

I think Pollard even would have left IPL matches, had it been a Pakistani tycoon with such Riches so no big deal.

End of story
But what if Karachi Kings had no issues with him leaving?

No one cares mate - the tournament is a c class event over hyped by the media….

It’s there to make money for the owners and sponsors, it’s just not cricket….

Waste of time, better of watching the playoffs and final, don’t waste your time with the rest of the games…

If you dont have a horse in the race it is pretty easy to eulogize your "professionalism" throwing in some employee - boss analogies.
Please point out which horse in the race is yours so we can try to understand your point better.

Please point out which horse in the race is yours so we can try to understand your point better.
I dont have a horse in the race and i did the hard part of thinking objectively keeping in mind the real world.

you are not a league representative.

What i shared is an idea.

What you are posting is as if you represent the board

And you are whose representative when you said ICC should have a window and leagues should find a way to compete with the IPL?

End of story

If your boss, the one who invited you to the wedding, has made you a multi-millionaire in USD and has not just set you up but also your children and their children for life, you would walk barefoot to attend the wedding and if your current employer, who can barely afford to pay you 10% of what your boss has paid you, tries stop you, you would give him the finger and leave anyway.

Furthermore, yes this has nothing to do with Mumbai Indians, but it is not always possible to segregate personal and professional commitments when your boss has had such a massive impact on your life.

Besides, we are not talking about just any other boss here. We are talking about the 11th richest man in the world who can buy off your current employer with some loose change in his back pocket.

Forget Pollard - the Pakistani players would happily skip matches if they were invited even though they have no connection with Ambani and have never had any monetary benefits from him.

Pollard has not done anything that I, you and other critics on this forum would not have done, but it is always easy to talk when you are not in a position to make such decisions.

If your boss, the one who invited you to the wedding, has made you a multi-millionaire in USD and has not just set you up but also your children and their children for life, you would walk barefoot to attend the wedding and if your current employer, who can barely afford to pay you 10% of what your boss has paid you, tries stop you, you would give him the finger and leave anyway.

Furthermore, yes this has nothing to do with Mumbai Indians, but it is not always possible to segregate personal and professional commitments when your boss has had such a massive impact on your life.

Besides, we are not talking about just any other boss here. We are talking about the 11th richest man in the world who can buy off your current employer with some loose change in his back pocket.

Forget Pollard - the Pakistani players would happily skip matches if they were invited even though they have no connection with Ambani and have never had any monetary benefits from him.

Pollard has not done anything that I, you and other critics on this forum would not have done, but it is always easy to talk when you are not in a position to make such decisions.
Please speak for yourself.

I would rather have stayed with Shan, Shoaib Malik and Salman Iqbal than spend time with Mark Zuckerberg and Rihanna.

End of story

Sounds easy on paper but ethics and etiquettes change in the real world when large sums of money are involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you are whose representative when you said ICC should have a window and leagues should find a way to compete with the IPL?
I think i have clearly wrote that its an idea that i suggested here for discussion

I have no idea what the hungama is all about, an ambani wedding is far more valuable than a PSL season could be.

Ambani is the only reason why a t20 hack like pollard is a millionaire.

Its better to give opportunities to

End of story
Sounds easy on paper but ethics and etiquettes change in the real world when large sums of money are involved.
If Pollard had already told KK before signing the contract that he would be leaving for a week in between, then he is not at fault. If i am not wrong, Shoaib Malik took a break between BPL for ILT20 media stint then came back in later stages. T20 leagues have a different concept of professionalism i guess. Teams are used to players leaving and joining.

What happens during a pre-wedding? I also do not know.

Do they dance to "Tunak Tunak Tun" by Daler Mehndi for 60 minutes?
the bride does fake walks on cringe bollywood songs, role playing the characters from the songs movie.

cringe videos of the grooms family is made again by dubbing bollywood movies.

Feed the villiage people by inviting them, and the groom father pretending to serving the guests, but still have a servant hold the dish for him, and all he does is use a tong. This reminds me of politicians that plant a tree for photo gimmicks. The actually digging is done by the gardener, who is side lined.

End of story
That’s a fair take but unfortunately among so many leagues Pollard has been very specific to MI.

I would say its like a consultant working for a company that his bread and butter and contracting to other companies as well.

West Indies Cricket Board turned their back on Pollard and even cut his wages. Ambani took care of Pollard and set him up for life, cannot blame Pollard for being grateful and returning the favor.

Why single out PSL? There is a test match going on in NZ and Boult is also partying with the Ambanis. NZ needed Boult now more than ever, with the imminent retirement of Southee, Wagner and Jamieson being unavailable.
Boult doesn't have central contract. They didn't picked him in team either. What were you expecting?

Its not about money, its about policy.

PSL needs to have a strict HR policy where if players are pulling out because someone pay them money for whatsoever reasons, than black list that player. Even if a player places his name in two drafts and pulls out after being selected to feature in another league.

Cricket needs to regulate leagues properly where once a contract is done a player pulling out has to be fined heavily. ICC needs to create a seperate body for leagues if they cant regulize it.

In NHL if players pull out mid season for some russian league, there are heavy fines and blockades can be placed. The player needs to respect the contract, or else he could never return back to NHL.
You are getting emotional over a simple matter. Not sure how many proper corporate organisations you have worked for. I have worked for a quite a few.

An employee wanted to take a day and promised to return to the project. The company was fine with it. The manager using his discretion approved it. Case closed.

You are getting emotional over a simple matter. Not sure how many proper corporate organisations you have worked for. I have worked for a quite a few.

An employee wanted to take a day and promised to return to the project. The company was fine with it. The manager using his discretion approved it. Case closed.
There is a difference between sports and corporate. And there is a difference between being invited as a guest and being paid to appear.

It means exactly what you think it means. PSL is not even the number 2 league anymore. Why does it surprise anyone that Pollard left for a few days to honor his real-life friendship with an Indian billionaire, with whom he has a years long relationship. And who has made Pollard a very rich man.

Have any of you worked a job in your lives where you had to take a leave for a few days? How is this any different?

There is a difference between sports and corporate. And there is a difference between being invited as a guest and being paid to appear.
what is the difference between league cricket and corporate?

And what difference does it make if Pollard got paid to attend or Pollard paid to attend.

PSL has no importance among established international players. Pollard is washed up ex cricketer now and it is just a side gig as you ca never make enough money.
Meeting all big wigs in Mumbai and partying vs staying in boring Pakistan.. choice was clear for him.

You are paid to appear in your corporate job but can always take a few days leave to enjoy your life.
Pollard communicated it to KK management and they approved it.
You are getting railed up because he went to India.

BCCI had to keep a gap of 10 days between 2 tests so Indian players could attend the event.
PCB or PSL stood no chance. If they had refused this leave to Pollard... one can only guess Pollard would be devastated if he had to choose between PSL and Mumbai Indian owned team contracts around . ;)

Pollard definitely had plans to attend this event so the franchise was well notified about this travel IMO and they approved his leave. There is nothing unusual in this thing. This type of stuff happens.

You are paid to appear in your corporate job but can always take a few days leave to enjoy your life.
Pollard communicated it to KK management and they approved it.
You are getting railed up because he went to India.
Kinda funny and sad at the same time.

The only reason this thread is 2 pages long is because Pollard left PSL for India.

Change either the league or country he flew to, and this wouldn't be a discussion.
FYI
There was a same kind of discussion earlier and it's 2 pages .Due to last 6 months drubbings everywhere ,more "passionate?" comments are cropping up

The only reason this thread is 2 pages long is because Pollard left PSL for India.

Change either the league or country he flew to, and this wouldn't be a discussion.

The exact reason why people are throwing a fit and wants ICC intervention and all sorts of windows and rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSL has no importance among established international players. Pollard is washed up ex cricketer now and it is just a side gig as you ca never make enough money.
Meeting all big wigs in Mumbai and partying vs staying in boring Pakistan.. choice was clear for him.

This is just a dumb comment. IPL only has more importance because they pay more money, otherwise India is probably more boring than Pakistan, certainly less eye candy to look at. I am already on record as agreeing that Pollard has to look after his own interests, but players go to India to play IPL because it pays the most money by a long way. Not because it is some sort of Utopia where outsiders are longing to visit. Pay someone a few million dollars and they will attend a party in Kazakhastan, let's be honest.

the bride does fake walks on cringe bollywood songs, role playing the characters from the songs movie.

cringe videos of the grooms family is made again by dubbing bollywood movies.

Feed the villiage people by inviting them, and the groom father pretending to serving the guests, but still have a servant hold the dish for him, and all he does is use a tong. This reminds me of politicians that plant a tree for photo gimmicks. The actually digging is done by the gardener, who is side lined.
Are your household servants allowed to sit on the sofas right next to your family, are they allowed to eat on the same dining table and sleep in the same bedrooms?

This is just a dumb comment. IPL only has more importance because they pay more money, otherwise India is probably more boring than Pakistan, certainly less eye candy to look at. I am already on record as agreeing that Pollard has to look after his own interests, but players go to India to play IPL because it pays the most money by a long way. Not because it is some sort of Utopia where outsiders are longing to visit. Pay someone a few million dollars and they will attend a party in Kazakhastan, let's be honest.
Major difference between India and Pakistan is the drinking and partying culture. Yes foreigners, and even locals with connections, have access to booze and all but is mostly behind closed doors.

There are no proper clubs in Pakistan and westerners, or the Caribbeans, don’t know how to have a good time without getting tipsy.

This is one of the reasons why India is a much more popular tourist destination than Pakistan. For example, Pakistan has absolutely nothing that can compare to Goa party life or Mumbai night life.

It depends. Many tourists come to places like Goa where there is a lot of alcohol and other similar places which have rave cultures and mild drugs etc. are freely available.

Whether right or wrong , people do come for that.

There are better places than India, obviously, but I'm not sure there is anything similar in Pakistan.

Pollard leaving the ''PSL'' to go to ''India'' for a wedding function is what has irritated many people here.

Just wondering... if some Pakistani players had been invited...what would have happened? What would they have done and what would have been the reaction here?

My guess is that PSL would have announced a ''three day rest break'' citing some reason or other. Or the players would have been suddenly "injured".

Major difference between India and Pakistan is the drinking and partying culture. Yes foreigners, and even locals with connections, have access to booze and all but is mostly behind closed doors.

There are no proper clubs in Pakistan and westerners, or the Caribbeans, don’t know how to have a good time without getting tipsy.

This is one of the reasons why India is a much more popular tourist destination than Pakistan. For example, Pakistan has absolutely nothing that can compare to Goa party life or Mumbai night life.

If Kieron Pollard's motivation to play cricket was to party and drink alcohol, he could do all of that without ever leaving the West Indies. He goes to India because he earns millions which he can't anywhere else. Not because India is some sort of vaction havanna.

I don't know why people are arguing about this, I have already said it is perfectly reasonable for Pollard to follow the money, just like every other cricketer who plays IPL, or attends some Indian wedding party as long as they are paid enough.

Ofcourse its to earn Millions and have such huge fan following that he wouldn’t get in Trini.

But the difference is he is a player in PSL and not in IPL as such just some coaching role and still chose to come to Jamnagar, that probably is coz his connection to Ambanis.

If Kieron Pollard's motivation to play cricket was to party and drink alcohol, he could do all of that without ever leaving the West Indies. He goes to India because he earns millions which he can't anywhere else. Not because India is some sort of vaction havanna.

I don't know why people are arguing about this, I have already said it is perfectly reasonable for Pollard to follow the money, just like every other cricketer who plays IPL, or attends some Indian wedding party as long as they are paid enough.
Not sure why people like you like to state the obvious that Pollard and others go to IPL for money and not because they love India.

Of course, the success of IPL is because of the wealth involved. It seems that people like you get some sort of satisfaction and comfort by stating the obvious.

I was objecting to your assertion that India is more boring than Pakistan. Well it might be more boring for you but for the foreigners, India offers a much vote vibrant night and party life that Pakistan doesn’t.

Foreign players are more likely to be attracted towards India than Pakistan if the same money is on the table, but then again, they would prefer Dubai over both as long as the money is comparable.

Not sure why people like you like to state the obvious that Pollard and others go to IPL for money and not because they love India.

Of course, the success of IPL is because of the wealth involved. It seems that people like you get some sort of satisfaction and comfort by stating the obvious.

I was objecting to your assertion that India is more boring than Pakistan. Well it might be more boring for you but for the foreigners, India offers a much vote vibrant night and party life that Pakistan doesn’t.

Foreign players are more likely to be attracted towards India than Pakistan if the same money is on the table, but then again, they would prefer Dubai over both as long as the money is comparable.
For that matter, why would the dude want to play outside the Caribbean if the money was good enough?

It's unbelievable how people find the oldest things to debate about.

The attraction of a place for tourism can be determined by...you know...the actual number of tourists who go there. India's in the top 20 so we do...okay I guess. Whether Kieron Pollard actually likes visiting here only he knows. Either way wherher he enjoys India or just plays here because 'paapi pet ka sawaal hai', there was no way he was going to miss an invitation to the biggest, tackiest wedding of the century thrown by his long time employer.

My assertion about India was in response to @hoshiarpurexpress post calling Pakistan boring as compared to India. For people who want to drink and party that is probably true, but that is not the reason Pollard or other westerners are flocking to Ambani's party, it is because they are being paid millions.

If they just wanted a night life they would stay in West Indies, England, Australia etc. I wouldn't need to state the obvious if posters didn't want to make silly point scoring excercises, but since that is what they wish, then here we are.

You realize that India is 10 times more diverse than Pakistan right ? In fact the Islamic culture Pakistan prides itself on , the greatest monuments of that like Taj Mahal is situated in India. Of course Pakistan has no comparisons to the likes of Khajuraho or Bodhi Goya. Himalayas are common to both India and Pakistan. As far beaches and wild life , it's really not even a consideration worth making.

My assertion about India was in response to @hoshiarpurexpress post calling Pakistan boring as compared to India. For people who want to drink and party that is probably true, but that is not the reason Pollard or other westerners are flocking to Ambani's party, it is because they are being paid millions.

If they just wanted a night life they would stay in West Indies, England, Australia etc. I wouldn't need to state the obvious if posters didn't want to make silly point scoring excercises, but since that is what they wish, then here we are.
Partying in Mumbai with Shahrukh and co vs watching faces of 100s of Military men trying to protect your life in Pakistan against terrorist's umm.. Pretty sure Pakistan is way boring for Pollard.
Plenty of partying can be done in Mumbai even without billions at your disposal.

The main issue here is Pollard went to India I guess. ELse there would have been no talk here.

But that should not sidetrack from you admitting the fact that Pakistan is inferior to India in almost every aspect.

Everyone flocks to IPL because it pays more money but its impossible to believe that Pakiatan is more likeable place than India.

A more apt comparison would be that if PSL and IPL paid the same money would people prefer to come to Pakistan or India?

We all know the answer to that.

But that should not sidetrack from you admitting the fact that Pakistan is inferior to India in almost every aspect.

I live in the first world, developing countries are not that impressive in comparison, regardless of whether India or Pakistan. Nevertheless, I have never had any problem acknowledging where India is superior, I think Bollywood is rubbish because I'm used to western standards (as are you) but Bollywood is a million miles better than Pakistan cinema. I still wouldn't watch it unless something outstanding came along, but it is a lot more slick than Lollywood, far more professional.

What else do you want me to say? Would I want to go to a third world dump for a holiday? No. I'd rather go to the caribbean if I wanted to party, but if I was paid a few millions I guess I'd go to some overweight Ambani's pre-wedding bash with no problem at all.

Also Indian domestic cricket scene is far more professionally run than Pakistan, since we are talking about cricket, might as well throw that in there.

So if Pollard would have not gone for the wedding party - would KK be still in the reckoning?

Back