What should be the balance of the Indian Test team for the upcoming home season?

street cricketer

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Now that the relatively easier series in West Indies has completed, the long and difficult home season awaits India. It has been quite a while since India last played a similar extended home season. India had the better of west indies and some of their tactics paid off in the carribean shores. However you can be sure that New Zealand, England and Australia will not be as easy to dominate as the Windies. With the change in the venue also comes a need for a change in the team formation and tactics.

India went with as much as 5 genuine bowlers in the West Indies. It also meant that it had to play Ashwin at 6. But on turning tracks, Kohli has indicated that he will be happy to drop one bowler for accommodating a batsman and go with 2 spinners and 2 pacers or even 3 spinners and a lone pacer. Kohli also experimented with the Indian top order in the last series. Pujara and Vijay were dropped from the 3rd test for Dhawan and Rohit, only to be renistated in the rain marred last test.

What do you think should be the balance of the Indian team ahead of the tough home season?

Personally I would like 7 batsmen (including the wicket keeper) and 4 bowlers. I would go with

Murali Vijay
KL Rahul
Che Pujara
Virat Kohli (c)
Ajinkya Rahane
Rohit Sharma
Ravi Ashwin
Wridhaman Saha (wk)
Ravi Jadeja
Mohd. Shami
Ishant Sharma

I don't see Kohli dropping Rohit, also there is a problem of 3 openers. If Rohit fails, will be interesting to see whether they tinker around with the top order. Rahul may bat a position lower or even Vijay (he recently gave an interview that he is open to batting at any position) and Dhawan may get included. As for the bowlers, spinners are the usual suspects and regarding the pacers, Bhuvi and Yadav will find it difficult to get a game in India (BK will probably play the pink ball test).

What are your thoughts?

This is a very strong Indian side, I don't see any team challenging India in India. Only Pakistan has a decent chance but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

The selection of Jadeja would depend on what the pitch is expected to be. If it is going to be a turner then he is a must. If it is not so then Mishra would be a better option. I would also like to see Kuldeep Yadav given a game or two provided he is picked in the side games and performs well.

Overall, a formidable side, especially in Indian conditions. So many talented cricketers that should be entering the peak of their careers now.

The only weakness I see is a lack of left-handers in the top 7 but you can't really drop anyone for Dhawan. I can see NZL looking to exploit that through Santner and Sodhi who both spin the ball away from the right hander. Depending on conditions, particularly if it is a rank turner, Rohit can be dropped for an extra spinner but other than that, I don't feel any change in the combination is necessary.

Whilst India are firm favourites for the entirety of the home season I'm interested to see if they can remain consistent throughout. Kohli on numerous occasions talked about being ruthless - lets see if they can walk the walk. If India manage to win convincingly in each series, it'd be some achievement; even when considering they are playing at home.

The only weakness I see is a lack of left-handers in the top 7 but you can't really drop anyone for Dhawan. I can see NZL looking to exploit that through Santner and Sodhi who both spin the ball away from the right hander.

Yup, this is a vaild concern and well pointed out. I can see teams picking SLAs and leggies against India. I also think Dhawan has a good chance of playing in the first team ahead of Vijay or Rahul for the same reason.

From the Duleep trophy results, the players who have impressed are:

Kuldeep Yadav (2 5fers)
Abhinav Mukhund (150+ score)
Che Pujara (150+ score)
Nathu Singh (5fer)
Sheldon Jackson (century).

I would like Kuldeep to be given a chance as well but I'm not sure if he can get a place in a team having Ash, Jaddu and Mishra. Pujara did well to play a good knock yesterday. So I think that will strengthen his position over Rohit.

From the Duleep trophy results, the players who have impressed are:

Kuldeep Yadav (2 5fers)
Abhinav Mukhund (150+ score)
Che Pujara (150+ score)
Nathu Singh (5fer)
Sheldon Jackson (century).

I would like Kuldeep to be given a chance as well but I'm not sure if he can get a place in a team having Ash, Jaddu and Mishra. Pujara did well to play a good knock yesterday. So I think that will strengthen his position over Rohit.

What happened to that Mukhund guy? I remember him making his debut in England then just disappearing...

Nothing much to really strategize.

Just need 2 things to click:

Batsmen must put up some runs on board.

Ashwin must be in form with a support spinner.

If that's sorted, we have 3 series whitewashes in our hands.

If we go by history, when Ashwin has clicked in Asia (which he did in all matches except Eng series in 2012), India has won every test match since his debut (barring some fluke rain affected draws) except 1 match where our batsmen flopped (Galle - there he took a 10fer).

Formula is simple. Question is whether its easy.

That's what we have to see.

NZ spinners are no joke and I wouldn't take them lightly one bit.

I think pitches won't be so low scoring this time. It will be more like Delhi, Bangalore of SA series with an odd rank turner thrown in.

Murali Vijay,KL Rahul, Pujara, Virat Kohli (c), Rahane, Rohit, Ashwin, Saha (wk) Kuldeep Yadav, Shami, Nathu Singh

Play 4 bowlers, including 2 spinners - Ashwin and Jadeja on turners. Simple.

Vijay, Rahul
Pujara, Kohli, Rahane
Rohit, Saha
Ashwin, Jadeja
Shami, Bhuvi/Ishant

Now that the relatively easier series in West Indies has completed, the long and difficult home season awaits India. It has been quite a while since India last played a similar extended home season. India had the better of west indies and some of their tactics paid off in the carribean shores. However you can be sure that New Zealand, England and Australia will not be as easy to dominate as the Windies. With the change in the venue also comes a need for a change in the team formation and tactics.

India went with as much as 5 genuine bowlers in the West Indies. It also meant that it had to play Ashwin at 6. But on turning tracks, Kohli has indicated that he will be happy to drop one bowler for accommodating a batsman and go with 2 spinners and 2 pacers or even 3 spinners and a lone pacer. Kohli also experimented with the Indian top order in the last series. Pujara and Vijay were dropped from the 3rd test for Dhawan and Rohit, only to be renistated in the rain marred last test.

What do you think should be the balance of the Indian team ahead of the tough home season?

Personally I would like 7 batsmen (including the wicket keeper) and 4 bowlers. I would go with

Murali Vijay
KL Rahul
Che Pujara
Virat Kohli (c)
Ajinkya Rahane
Rohit Sharma
Ravi Ashwin
Wridhaman Saha (wk)
Ravi Jadeja
Mohd. Shami
Ishant Sharma

I don't see Kohli dropping Rohit, also there is a problem of 3 openers. If Rohit fails, will be interesting to see whether they tinker around with the top order. Rahul may bat a position lower or even Vijay (he recently gave an interview that he is open to batting at any position) and Dhawan may get included. As for the bowlers, spinners are the usual suspects and regarding the pacers, Bhuvi and Yadav will find it difficult to get a game in India (BK will probably play the pink ball test).

What are your thoughts?

Very settled unit - just 2 areas not covered.

1. Almost certainly NZ'll play Santer & Sodhi, therefore at least 1 lefti is required in the team. Rohit has the back-up from Bombay lobby, therefore one of Pujara or Bijay might get dropped.

Ideally, I would have dropped 2 right-handers (can't tell which of Rohit, Pujara & Bijay - I like Bijay most as a Test player) & play a leg spinner. IND can't go with old formula of 3 spinners & Ganguly opening the bowling, therefore best is to play 5 bowlers. Asah, Jad & Mishra are not batting bunnies, easily can cover for a batsman. Or they might use Niar, the leggi all-rounder; but a 3 men spin attack is necessary.

If we go by history, when Ashwin has clicked in Asia (which he did in all matches except Eng series in 2012), India has won every test match since his debut (barring some fluke rain affected draws) except 1 match where our batsmen flopped (Galle - there he took a 10fer).

I think pitches won't be so low scoring this time. It will be more like Delhi, Bangalore of SA series with an odd rank turner thrown in.

Ashwin is gonna be Legendary after this home stretch!!!

I've got a weird feeling about this Indian home season. Despite the odds being in favour of, I just can't see a repeat of the South African series happening 3 series in a row. If they don't slip up anywhere, that would require incredible consistency and for me, would be a remarkable achievement.

4 bowlers is the way to go specially when Ashwin and Jadeja are going to bowl most of the overs.

I've got a weird feeling about this Indian home season. Despite the odds being in favour of, I just can't see a repeat of the South African series happening 3 series in a row. If they don't slip up anywhere, that would require incredible consistency and for me, would be a remarkable achievement.

I agree.

Can't look too far ahead but potentially 3 whitewashes are possible (removing rain affected draws of course).

Also can't discount the effect of NZ spinners creating problems for us.

Galle looked like it was all done and dusted then suddenly SURPRISE....happened.

If we go 4 bowlers, I want 3 spinners.

No doubt about that.

Mishra gave us some of the most crucial blows in SA series.

One thing's for sure. Expect a good fight from New Zealand and England. They will not collapse like South Africa. I'm excited to see how Williamson and Root handle Indian conditions. They should do good, hopefully!

I agree.

Can't look too far ahead but potentially 3 whitewashes are possible (removing rain affected draws of course).

Also can't discount the effect of NZ spinners creating problems for us.

Galle looked like it was all done and dusted then suddenly SURPRISE....happened.

Spot on.

The thing about low scoring matches is that if someone can come out and slog a quick fire 40-50, it can change the entire complexion of the game. NZL, ENG and AUS all have that type of "quick fire 40/50" player but only NZL have the spinners to cause IND any trouble.

Kinda off topic but is anybody surprised by Ish Sodhi's development? I know T20 and Tests are a different ball game but he looked so threatening in the World T20. Remarkable turnaround from the last time I saw him against PAK in the UAE.

What happened to that Mukhund guy? I remember him making his debut in England then just disappearing...

He made his debut as a 21 year old in a disastrous Indian tour of England 5 years ago and didn't do much in the next tour as well. He had one or two disappointing seasons in Ranji but has good overall stats there, averages 48 with 22 tons. He especially played a good knock in the opening Duleep trophy match when he scored a 70 at around 90 SR when the team was collapsing against the pink ball and followed it up with a 160 in the 2nd innings. But the problem is he is an opener as well and we already have 3 in the squad. Maybe a left field tactic of playing him at 6, but don't think he has ever batted there before..

Agreed two spin and two quicks in Indian conditions should suit. I would definitely want left hander in top order. India very strong and can't see them losing especially at home.

Very settled unit - just 2 areas not covered.

1. Almost certainly NZ'll play Santer & Sodhi, therefore at least 1 lefti is required in the team. Rohit has the back-up from Bombay lobby, therefore one of Pujara or Bijay might get dropped.

Ideally, I would have dropped 2 right-handers (can't tell which of Rohit, Pujara & Bijay - I like Bijay most as a Test player) & play a leg spinner. IND can't go with old formula of 3 spinners & Ganguly opening the bowling, therefore best is to play 5 bowlers. Asah, Jad & Mishra are not batting bunnies, easily can cover for a batsman. Or they might use Niar, the leggi all-rounder; but a 3 men spin attack is necessary.

I think you're talking about Karnataka all rounder Shreyas Gopal playing in the Duleep trophy.

But yeah point taken about 5 bowlers. Problem is that we need Saha to be consistent. We lack a consistent wk batsman like Sarfaraz or Bairstow to rely upon at no.6, which is why the need to play 6 genuine batsmen.

You didn't tell your 2nd point btw?:afridi

Good strategy bro. Ashwin is a high quality player and should be too much in Indian conditions.

I think you're talking about Karnataka all rounder Shreyas Gopal playing in the Duleep trophy.

But yeah point taken about 5 bowlers. Problem is that we need Saha to be consistent. We lack a consistent wk batsman like Sarfaraz or Bairstow to rely upon at no.6, which is why the need to play 6 genuine batsmen.

You didn't tell your 2nd point btw?:afridi

Yes Gopal, but couldn't recollect his name. 2nd point is the leggi (for that 5 bowlers). Unless it's s rank turner, IND might struggle to close English batting depth or even Kiwi tail with Jaddu. He is very tight spinner, but might not be penetrative on decent wickets. If 5 batsmen can't do it, 6th won't either, but IND shouldn't compromise anything that goes against taking 20 wickets. I don't believe in this batting all-rounder theory - PAK wasted a spot playing Iftekhar. Had Rahat played that Test, PAK would have won it by innings.

I think India should persist with 5 bowlers theory.

Indian bowlers like Ashwin , Mishra , Jadeja are pretty good with the bat.

Rahul, Vijay, Pujara, Kohli, Rahane, Saha, Ashwin, Jadeja, Mishra, Ishant, Shami

I'd pick Bhuveneshwar instead of one of the spinners in the unlikely event the pitch has something in it.

They should keep the same balance, by that I mean five bowling options (personnel may change basis nature of pitch etc) unless they get beat in a couple of matches

Just put out the rank-turners from the last time South Africa were on those shores and you'll win every match against Australia and New Zealand.

England will definitely be their biggest challenge though. Moeen Ali will be on the prowl. :moali

India have crazy depth though. One proper all-rounder can make such a difference.

Just put out the rank-turners from the last time South Africa were on those shores and you'll win every match against Australia and New Zealand.

England will definitely be their biggest challenge though. Moeen Ali will be on the prowl. :moali

No doubt about that. Moeen Ali's been consistently picking up key top order wickets in many series.
On other hand, I expect Indians will have plan against him and most probably will come hard at him.

India's series to lose these. They are the favorites.

No doubt about that. Moeen Ali's been consistently picking up key top order wickets in many series.
On other hand, I expect Indians will have plan against him and most probably will come hard at him.

India's series to lose these. They are the favorites.

India will definitely be favorites but the English spinners are better than any they have faced in India recently. So it'll be a good challenge for Rahane and co.

Murali Vijay
KL Rahul
Che Pujara
Virat Kohli (c)
Ajinkya Rahane
Rohit Sharma
Ravi Ashwin
Wridhaman Saha (wk)
Ravi Jadeja
Mohd. Shami
Ishant Sharma

What are your thoughts?

Need 5 bowlers if we are to press for a win, so would bring in Mishra and drop Rohit. Maybe also B Kumar instead of Ishant.

Shami, Ishant, Ashwin, Jadeja is a very good bowling line up. I don't think five bowlers are required on home pitches.Ashwin and Jadeja would do the job and if possible Mishy can come in place of any other pacer.

There is a lot of depth in our tail although the problem is that the tail itself starts from 6 with Rohit.

What if we bring Dhawan at 6 in place of Rohit?I will be more assured with Dhawan in the team than Rohit.A left hander will be there in the team too.

Its a given though that India's problems will start the day Ashwin gets injured or loses his form.

And Rashid too.

really want SL to tour India for a test series. Bet BCCI wont produce rank turner though

The side in the OP looks very strong.

actually only Rohit Sharma could possibly be considered a weak link of sorts

Expect this side to pummell the upcoming opposition within 4 days in most tests at home

Last time I went to Chepauk, we had a Roland Garros pitch for Australia. Tbh it wasn't as bad as it looked. I remember Clarke, Dhoni, Kohli scoring runs there.

Hoping for a Madrid open pitch this time vs England.:afridi

Yes.. I was there. KLPD for fans who bought ticket to witness Tendu scoring 100 on the third day. He got out on 80s, LOL. He finished the match with a sixer though.

Never though Pattinson was that much muscular guy. I was in stand D, so I was able to shake hands with Akram bhai, Warne and Liz Hurley. Dermott Reeve asked me for a match box.

Btw, Madrid uses blue 'Smurfy' clay :p

India should really worry about the fact that Ashwin, yes Ashwin, is coming in at 3-4 down. Sure he hit a truckload of runs against the Windies, but to expect him to do it against some of the best sides in the world would be asking too much.

In any case the NZ series should be EASY for India. I'm hoping one or two matches get rained off so that we retain our mace :afridi

Yes.. I was there. KLPD for fans who bought ticket to witness Tendu scoring 100 on the third day. He got out on 80s, LOL. He finished the match with a sixer though.

Never though Pattinson was that much muscular guy. I was in stand D, so I was able to shake hands with Akram bhai, Warne and Liz Hurley. Dermott Reeve asked me for a match box.

Btw, Madrid uses blue 'Smurfy' clay :p

I went exactly on the third day morning to see Sachin scoring a century with my friends, at first couldn't identify which one was Sachin as we were quite far away from the action and both Sachin and Kohli are a bit short. But then identified him by that trademark half squat adjusting the trouser mannerism at the crease.:misbah

The whole stadium fell silent after Sachin got out lol but Dhoni came and smashed a double. Kohli was just a youngster then. There was a sign at the stadium electronic display saying "put your hands up who want to bat Sachin once more in the match" and Clarke was putting his 2 hands up in the air, the guy was very friendly with the crowd. Starc was standing before our boundary and I couldn't believe how tall he or most Australian cricketers looked in comparison to our players, they were looking like avatars lol. A group next to us were making fun of Sir Jadeja when he came out to bat, he was ridiculed much by Indian fans then for his inclusion in the test team and only afterwards Sir showed his true worth.:don

I know about the blue clay at madrid, I'm a Nadal fan afterall.:sree

Why Sheldon Jackson doesn't get selected instead of this mediocre Saha? It's beyond me, India is wasting this wicket keeper, his domestic record is impressive, still hasn't played a single game for India, he is 29 now, being wasted.

Kinda off topic but is anybody surprised by Ish Sodhi's development? I know T20 and Tests are a different ball game but he looked so threatening in the World T20. Remarkable turnaround from the last time I saw him against PAK in the UAE.

He is rubbish in the longer format.

Why Sheldon Jackson doesn't get selected instead of this mediocre Saha? It's beyond me, India is wasting this wicket keeper, his domestic record is impressive, still hasn't played a single game for India, he is 29 now, being wasted.

Lol how do you know about these fringe guys. I asked the same question, people said he inflated his stats at Saurashtra but he just hit a century at 90 sr two days back at the Duleep trophy.

After Saha, Naman Ojha is in the pecking order. I have nothing against Saha, he is a fighter but he doesn't give you confidence of scoring runs everytime. The lack of a good reliable wk batsman prevents us from playing 5 bowlers everytime.

Knocked out already in the US:sree [MENTION=141388]aroor[/MENTION]

Coming to India this year to play the Davis cup though..

The amount of posters from Chennai are so many in number on this forum.We play England this time in Chennai ,might go for that unless Rohit is playing.

India should stick to 5 bowler policy. Only question is weather is 2 spinners or 3

No entry fee for Davis cup. You can try :) [MENTION=139664]street cricketer[/MENTION]

He made the second week.. which is positive.

Hope Del potro goes all the way to win his second Grand Slam.

Yes Gopal, but couldn't recollect his name. 2nd point is the leggi (for that 5 bowlers). Unless it's s rank turner, IND might struggle to close English batting depth or even Kiwi tail with Jaddu. He is very tight spinner, but might not be penetrative on decent wickets. If 5 batsmen can't do it, 6th won't either, but IND shouldn't compromise anything that goes against taking 20 wickets. I don't believe in this batting all-rounder theory - PAK wasted a spot playing Iftekhar. Had Rahat played that Test, PAK would have won it by innings.

Actually read some good things about Gopal, heard he was flighting the ball well and getting good bounce in the duleep trophy. You're right, he won't be too bad an inclusion ahead of Jadeja on decent tracks. He will probably score better than what Jadeja does with the bat.

Murali Vijay
KL Rahul
Che Pujara
Virat Kohli (c)
Ajinkya Rahane
Wriddhaman Saha (wk)
Ravi Ashwin
Shreyas Gopal
Amit Mishra
Mohd. Shami
Ishant Sharma

It's not a bad line up at all and the leggie all rounder lends strength to the batting as well. Only thing is we need the 6 and 7 to contribute good with the bat.

I would rather play Mishra ahead of Rohit. Don't know what Kohli sees in this hack.

Agreed he is a beast in ODIs but is an absolute dud in tests.

Lol how do you know about these fringe guys. I asked the same question, people said he inflated his stats at Saurashtra but he just hit a century at 90 sr two days back at the Duleep trophy.

After Saha, Naman Ojha is in the pecking order. I have nothing against Saha, he is a fighter but he doesn't give you confidence of scoring runs everytime. The lack of a good reliable wk batsman prevents us from playing 5 bowlers everytime.

I had found him randomly on Cricinfo during the IPL, I think, checked his statistics, and was shocked that he hasn't played a game for India. 39 FC games are more than a decent quantity, plus 9 hundreds in it, so don't think it can be that inflated.

This is a very strong Indian side, I don't see any team challenging India in India. Only Pakistan has a decent chance but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I don't actually agree. I think that Kohli, Rahane and Ashwin are outstanding players.

But India will pick two seamers who are worse than New Zealand or England's, and their fourth bowler - Jadeja - is a part-timer who does well on square turning pitches - but so will the visiting spinners.

Ironically, the way to beat New Zealand and England is completely different.

On square turners, India would beat New Zealand but lose at home to England again.

On flat, slow UAE-style wickets India would beat England, but lose to New Zealand.

I'm really looking forward to both series.

I won't watch Test matches of India, until and unless they prepare rank turners, it's fun to watch cricket on such pitches, lol.

Sheldon Jackson's 105 (Not available in India)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D0x90GZQik0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rohit's relative manages Virat Kohli :) Tenvic situation, may be?

Sheldon Jackson doesnt keep in domestic cricket is what I have heard. Saha "doesnt inspire confidence" but gets the job done more often that not. Don't expect a Dhoni - we are not going to get him or another player like to like player. Saha is the best keeper in the country and a decent bat who was an understudy for the past 5 years before getting a chance. With more exposure he will provide better returns.

I would rather play Mishra ahead of Rohit. Don't know what Kohli sees in this hack.

Agreed he is a beast in ODIs but is an absolute dud in tests.

Ye dosti hum nahe chorenge,
chorenge dam magar' sath na tera chorenge

Sheldon Jackson doesnt keep in domestic cricket is what I have heard. Saha "doesnt inspire confidence" but gets the job done more often that not. Don't expect a Dhoni - we are not going to get him or another player like to like player. Saha is the best keeper in the country and a decent bat who was an understudy for the past 5 years before getting a chance. With more exposure he will provide better returns.

What about Naman Ojha?

I remember him scoring tons of runs in the India A tour in Australia last time around.

What about Naman Ojha?

I remember him scoring tons of runs in the India A tour in Australia last time around.

Saha is a better keeper among the two and in turning pitches that is going to be a key differentiator. Batting wise Naman is flashier while Saha is dour which is fine for the longer format. Not that Saha can't score quickly - remember he has a century in an IPL final.

So it all depends on what is the team requirement and Saha seems to fit the bill at the moment. Naman is a close second and that is reflected in the fact that he is going to keep for India A in Australia. If Saha has a lean run in the forthcoming matches or unfortunately gets injured, Naman will have his chance.

I don't actually agree. I think that Kohli, Rahane and Ashwin are outstanding players.

But India will pick two seamers who are worse than New Zealand or England's, and their fourth bowler - Jadeja - is a part-timer who does well on square turning pitches - but so will the visiting spinners.

Ironically, the way to beat New Zealand and England is completely different.

On square turners, India would beat New Zealand but lose at home to England again.

On flat, slow UAE-style wickets India would beat England, but lose to New Zealand.

I'm really looking forward to both series.

Add Vijay to the list. that is 4 out of 11 world class players. Need Pujara to get his mojo back and you got a fantastic tier 2 player as well.

Problem as usual will be the bowlers, not on Indian tracks but overseas. On spinning tracks other than Moeen, England has no one to turn to.

Adil is as much of a prospect in tests and Piyush Chawla was back in 2008. 2012 England was an aberration, Cook/Pieterson top of their game along with a rampaging Swann and decent Monty backed up by a peak Anderson.

This time around- no one fits the bill other than Root in batting, okish Coook and a decent spinner Moeen, who i would put on par with Rajesh Chauhan from the 93 England thrashing in India

Why is Jaddu so under-rated?

He has given crucial blows and outperformed Ashwin in proper tracks quite a few times.

Without his crucial blows in Delhi track that had flattened out on Day 5, we wouldn't have won. Even in Mohali 2013 (flat track then), he did better than Ashwin.

There are several crucial moments he strikes when the pitch doesn't spin. Bangalore 2015...he started off okayish but still picked up 4 wickets including the prized wicket of ABD who top scored for the SA innings.

At times, he goes missing but he has done a LOT in Indian tracks to be considered a force on all home tracks.

Also Ashwin the batsman shouldn't be over-rated. Has been average against spin (on tough tracks) last few years. If he can truly score on rank turners (like he did in 2012), then he will go places.

I feel Jadeja the bowler will get immense respect once he retires.

Not the greatest bowler but someone who can give you so much.

Last edited:
Add Vijay to the list. that is 4 out of 11 world class players. Need Pujara to get his mojo back and you got a fantastic tier 2 player as well.

Problem as usual will be the bowlers, not on Indian tracks but overseas. On spinning tracks other than Moeen, England has no one to turn to.

Adil is as much of a prospect in tests and Piyush Chawla was back in 2008. 2012 England was an aberration, Cook/Pieterson top of their game along with a rampaging Swann and decent Monty backed up by a peak Anderson.

This time around- no one fits the bill other than Root in batting, okish Coook and a decent spinner Moeen, who i would put on par with Rajesh Chauhan from the 93 England thrashing in India

Really good post!

Unfortunately for India, they keep hosting England just after they have honed their Asia skills by playing other Test series there.

This time they arrive from Bangladesh, but less than a year after a 2-0 defeat away to Pakistan which really should have been a 1-1 drawn series.

I think that England's spin attack will actually be okay. Moeen Ali is a decent support spinner, but Zafar Ansari missed the UAE tour with a broken thumb, and he is a player who I think is an upgraded version of Ravi Jadeja: he's a very competent slow left-arm bowler who is also a really good left-handed batsman.

Remember too that in UAE conditions, Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad are absolutely sensational, Test after Test after Test.

England's middle-order gives them so much batting depth. I'm expecting us to field a team something like:

1. Alastair Cook
2. Haseeb Hameed (a terrific 19 year old from my club, Lancashire)
3. Joe Root
4. Jonny Bairstow
5. Ben Stokes
6. Moeen Ali
7. Jos Buttler (wk) - I suspect he might keep in India
8. Zafar Ansari
9. Chris Woakes
10. Stuart Broad
11. Jimmy Anderson

Mind you, I don't care what condition Monty Panesar is in, I'd pick him.

I wish our batsmen click this time.

Will clear up a lot of misconceptions.

2012 tour was incredible by England no doubt but India lost not cos they weren't no match for England but because they paid the price for having a garbage team.

4 out of 7 bats were over the hill (Sehwag, Gambo and Yuvi were booted after the series - only Sachin made it to the next tour - ideally he should have been booted out too)
1 of the 2 spinners had a meltdown (this is not management's fault)

You can't win with 3 batsmen and 1 spinner. lol.

The moment this was sorted, 3 home series whitewashes happened (Aus, WI and SA).

Still facing 2012 team would be a great battle indeed.

But the current English team?

I just hope the batsmen put some runs on the board against England.

Then we will see what massacre means.

Its the NZ spinners (who are accomplished) that worry me more.

How to get the balance of Indian test team? Someone pls work with Rahul and polish his keeping skills. I am saying this for ages if Rahul can dawn the keeping gloves for India in all formats, the balance of the side improves drastically and we will get our next MS Dhoni. Wriddhiman Saha is a club cricketer, sorry to say.

Imagine this lineup:

Dhawan
Vijay
Pujara
Virat
Rahane
Rahul
Ashwin
Jadeja
Shami
Ishant
Umesh

The above team covers all bases.

2012 tour was incredible by England no doubt but India lost not cos they weren't no match for England but because they paid the price for having a garbage team.

4 out of 7 bats were over the hill (Sehwag, Gambo and Yuvi were booted after the series - only Sachin made it to the next tour - ideally he should have been booted out too)

The moment this was sorted, 3 home series whitewashes happened (Aus, WI and SA).

I'd count Ashwin as a batsman as well. He has capacity to score 100s with tail.

You are taking away too much credit from England 2012 team

They did well in SL as well and drew the series and arguably were the stronger side (and SL was a solid team at home in those days)

Even in the 3-0 whitewash in UAE, the scoreline flattered us. In 2 of the 3 matches, England dominated significant portions of the match and certainly the gulf wasnt as big as the scoreline suggested. And they did learn their lessons from that tour for SL and India.

The England side was very solid. Cook, KP were very solid in Asian conditions and had developed their game over the UAE and SL series. Trott did well and for a keeper Prior was solid. And their spin attack was as good as its been for them in eons. The pacers ie Broand and Anderson always contribute someway.

So you are doing a disservice by downplaying them. Also Sehwag won you guys the only match you won

Back