When will Dale Steyn retire?

He will retire after Misbah destroys him in the desert, next week.

James Anderson is same age yet no "When will he retire"? regarded as same calibre by english experts as Steyn.

The real question is when will Misbah ul Haq retire? :)

If Anderson was half as good as Steyn, people would create threads for his retirement predictions too.

Dale Steyn : Beginning of the End?

The phenomenon that is Dale Steyn has been ending up far too often in the repair shop lately than I would like to see.

Nine injuries in the last 2.5 years. Second in the successive series.

This is seemingly the point at which the likes of Waqar and Shoaib started to break down far too often and had to change their games immensely.

When he is on song, his bowling is poetry in motion. But his last test Michelle was against SL about 1.5 years ago.

What do you think? Have we seen the best of Dale Steyn already?

Wasn't it just a couple days ago he took 3 wickets or some?

It's Steyn, he'll be back.

He will be back

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Wasim said in an interview a while ago that Steyn has started to lose his pace and once you lose that, you cannot get that back.

He may still be a good bowler but the signs are ominous, like with every other mortal that has lived, time has started to catch up with him.

Now it is up to him to prolong it as long as possible, herein lies his second real test, brilliance added with longevity.

Hope he comes back stronger after this injury and plays 2 , 3 years at his peak.

Having Said that, if he gets unfit again after a short while than he may hang his boots.

Wasim said in an interview a while ago that Steyn has started to lose his pace and once you lose that, you cannot get that back.

He may still be a good bowler but the signs are ominous, like with every other mortal that has lived, time has started to catch up with him.

Now it is up to him to prolong it as long as possible, herein lies his second real test, brilliance added with longevity.
I think he deliberately holds himself back. If he gets very angry he can hit 150 km/hr

I think he deliberately holds himself back. If he gets very angry he can hit 150 km/hr

I think he understands that he cannot go on at full tilt anymore hence he has reverted to type 2 fast bowling. In my book it means, you try to get the batsman out by pure skill rather than huff and puff.

Like the Waqar at the end of his career etc, he could still crank it up to 145+ but he didn't do that.

There is no doubt that Steyn is class - an ATG without doubt but his end is closer now than the start.

Realities of life mate.

It's deliberate.. He bowls in 130s at the beginning with conventional outswing. Then once ball gets old, he tries to reverse it. If that doesn't work then he cranks it up to 145+.. It's a pattern seen frequently. One of the reason why he has been successful. Has the tools and knows how to use them.

To OP, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Not sure why people desperately want to see him hang his boots? He's the best and the only ATG bowler out there. Let's hope he continues to play for at anther 2-3 years at least.

I was at Auckland NZ, last March watching Semi Final. It was really sad to see him on losing side. This ALG bowler deserved a world cup win and lost the last time he had played the WC, it was sad.

His pace has certainly declined in the last two years or so. But even on the BD tour he was maintaining decent speeds. He was trundling for a lot of the time in this last match though.

Here is his test bowling average over time. You can see he has been operating at this level for a LONG time and that speaks of his brilliance and longevity.

It also shows how difficult it has been for him to improve any more from here. To get any more juice out of his body.

Simply maintaining this level of performance has started to wear on his body.

Two possibilities from here: (A) reduce the workload (which might mean a retirement from tests), or (B) let the performance dip. Neither looks like a very good sign.

Steyn.jpg

Here is his test bowling average over time. You can see he has been operating at this level for a LONG time and that speaks of his brilliance and longevity.

It also shows how difficult it has been for him to improve any more from here. To get any more juice out of his body.

Simply maintaining this level of performance has started to wear on his body.

Two possibilities from here: (A) reduce the workload (which might mean a retirement from tests), or (B) let the performance dip. Neither looks like a very good sign.

View attachment 63314

Or retire from that IPL garbage.

Not sure why people desperately want to see him hang his boots? He's the best and the only ATG bowler out there. Let's hope he continues to play for at anther 2-3 years at least.

Almost every top bowler now is streets ahead of past bowlers, whose stats were relatively inflated due to things being much tough for batters in the past.

Very good bowler, but certainly not the only ATG.

I was at Auckland NZ, last March watching Semi Final. It was really sad to see him on losing side. This ALG bowler deserved a world cup win and lost the last time he had played the WC, it was sad.

It was in his control. He was the one who got smacked for six to end the game.

Almost every top bowler now is streets ahead of past bowlers, whose stats were relatively inflated due to things being much tough for batters in the past.

Only a good bowler? Who are these legendary bowlers who are better than him currently?

which bowlers are these and who are these current ATG bowlers?

I think he will be going to retire this year from tests.can't see playing tests beyond this year though he will concentrate on t20 leagues.

Ashwin has dethroned him but he is still comfortably the 2nd greatest bowler in the world even at this age.

Yes, beginning of the end. Fast bowlers are done by age 33-35 and have to change their wicket-taking methods, Steyn isn't any different.

Every good thing ends once. Steyn is no different but he has created his legacy as one of the greatest cricketer of this era.

The greatest.

Probably yes.If I consider players who debuted post 2000s then Steyn is easily the greatest cricketer of this era. He is by far the best bowler of his era and even as cricketer I don't see anyone coming up close.

Minor, he'll be back to his best soon. Still pretty young.

He just needs to get fit. Still capable or bowling between 84 to 91 mph. And with his swing and the length he bowls he will be lethal.

But if he gets unfit again after a short time than he will hang his boots.

High high quality bowler.
CSA have done brilliant in keeping him going for so long.

I think he would have broken down 2-3 year's ago if he had the same work load the likes of Wasim and waqar had .
But again i give credit to CSA for protecting their asset.
I think he has 1 more year in him then he will probably hang up his boot's in test's

Steyn will retire prematurely, but he shouldn't.

He should retire from all cricket except Tests and IPL. That would give him three more years.

Reckon he will hang around till he suppresses Pollocks record

its natural- he's 32, how many real express fast bowlers have played the same game past their mid-30s?

he'll still be effective, but he'll just be injured more often, or will need to be rested a lot more, he'll slowly start losing his pace... it happens to every athlete, for fast bowlers it usually starts in their early 30's

Needs to retire from T20s and ODIs if he wants to keep going, should focus on red ball cricket!

Get the feeling he will be back to his best by the time they tour here next summer.

If he can win South Africa a match or two against England or Australia, countries that he has struggled against, he will make my top five pacers of all-time. Which currently looks like this:

1) Marshall
2) Imran
3) Hadlee
4) Wasim
5) McGrath

If he keeps playing like this, some of the blokes who keep harping on about the fact that he is statistically better than waqar and wasim might lose their sleep. This was the reason why wasim and waqar's stats got screwed, they played well past their best.

If he keeps playing like this, some of the blokes who keep harping on about the fact that he is statistically better than waqar and wasim might lose their sleep. This was the reason why wasim and waqar's stats got screwed, they played well past their best.

The legendary W's also played for a pathetic fielding unit that dropped sitters every innings, often multiple times in an innings. Not to mention that DRS was never an option in those days and with their wicked reverse and/or late swings, the W's not just bamboozled the batsmen but the umpires.

Put the W's in a Saffer or Aussie side where regulation catches are held at least 85% of the times, and the W's stats would improve by leaps and bounds.

If he can win South Africa a match or two against England or Australia, countries that he has struggled against, he will make my top five pacers of all-time. Which currently looks like this:

1) Marshall
2) Imran
3) Hadlee
4) Wasim
5) McGrath
Not a bad list. Hadlee a touch lower because he didn't get to play as much on the dead pitches.

Thanks. If you have time, I would like to see your list.

He needs more to be top five of all-time. He averages 27+ against both.

Wasim averages 28 against India, 29 against SA and 30 against England. And I can assure you he has won less matches against these teams than Steyn has against Australia and England.

Steyn is better than Wasim in Tests, don't let the hardcore fans delude you.

Overall, Wasim takes it - Steyn has had a very mediocre ODI career.

Wasim averages 28 against India, 29 against SA and 30 against England. And I can assure you he has won less matches against these teams than Steyn has against Australia and England.

Fair point. I guess Wasim's ODI record compensates for his weak points in tests. Steyn doesn't have a similarly great record in ODIs.

Fair point. I guess Wasim's ODI record compensates for his weak points in tests. Steyn doesn't have a similarly great record in ODIs.

Neither does Malcolm Marshall who averages 26 in ODIs, but you rank him better than Wasim, yes?

Steyn's record in ODIs is actually pretty good for this time and age, not better than Wasim but not mediocre either.

Wasim is my favorite bowler, probably the best pacers of the 90s but overall he underachieved.

Neither does Malcolm Marshall who averages 26 in ODIs, but you rank him better than Wasim, yes?

Steyn's record in ODIs is actually pretty good for this time and age, not better than Wasim but not mediocre either.

Wasim is my favorite bowler, probably the best pacers of the 90s but overall he underachieved.

Marshall is the best fast bowler of all time, I have no doubts about this.

At least this is one issue Hafeez might keep his beak quiet about. #Misbahsfault

Steyn is better than Wasim in Tests, don't let the hardcore fans delude you.

Overall, Wasim takes it - Steyn has had a very mediocre ODI career.

I agree with this. Among test bowlers. Steyn is in the Marshall/McGrath category. I'd argue that McGrath is the greatest bowler ever since he was just as good as Wasim in ODIs and significantly better in Tests.

its natural- he's 32, how many real express fast bowlers have played the same game past their mid-30s?

he'll still be effective, but he'll just be injured more often, or will need to be rested a lot more, he'll slowly start losing his pace... it happens to every athlete, for fast bowlers it usually starts in their early 30's

True say

I still remember Shane bond
Brett lee probably had the most longetivity
Ntini was quite athletic too but he used to run 10 miles every morning apparently

Steyn is ahead of the other test bowlers in his era by the same margin that Viv was ahead of other ODI batsmen of his era.

On that criteria alone, he has an argument for being the greatest test bowler ever.

He's been helped by two bowlers with tremendous potential throwing their careers away. This is also a period of transition where all the great bowlers of yesteryear having retired and future greats like Boult, Starc and Amir just starting out. Steyn isn't averaging in the teens, he's averaging in the low-20s which is standard fare for ATG bowlers.

Thanks. If you have time, I would like to see your list.
I don't quite have a top-5 list, but here's how I would rate the top bowlers.

Marshall the best of them all.

WI: Garner, Ambrose, Holding
Pak: Wasim, Imran
NZ: Hadlee
SA: Steyn, Donald
Aus: McGrath

So, a top 10 list.

I don't quite have a top-5 list, but here's how I would rate the top bowlers.

Marshall the best of them all.

WI: Garner, Ambrose, Holding
Pak: Wasim, Imran
NZ: Hadlee
SA: Steyn, Donald
Aus: McGrath

So, a top 10 list.

Very nice. The only difference between my list and yours would be Waqar instead of Garner.

Is Dale Steyn finished?

The great Steyn, undoubtedly an ATG bowler, has been plagued with injuries over the past year and doesn't look like the same bowler. He struggled in the ODI world cup last year and is now being tonked around in India.

Even in SA's recent test series vs England, he didn't look like the Steyn we are used to seeing. Has his reign come to an end?

:steyn

Nope
Steyn was not 100% in the test series against England and he's never been great at t 20s

Apart from Pakistan, his record in T20's and ODI's is not much to right home about.

SA should restrict his work load in ODI's and T20's and preserve him for Test Cricket

He's slow down a bit but still a top class bowler

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

His best is now in the past. I think he still has s couple of good spells left in Tests but the end is near.

No he's still a great bowler, but t20 is where he always struggle.

Had he ever been that great in LOs? He had a purple patch against PAK mostly in 2013/14, which improved his stats significantly, but I don't think, he would have made the world LO XI, for long (may not be even once ever).

I'm personally surprised that he is still playing ODIs and T20s. I thought he would retire from ODIs after the 2015 World Cup and from T20s after this World T20, but so far, he hasn't dropped any hints.

Steyn was a genuine ATG for many years.

But, like Waqar Younis, he hasn't got enough height to generate lift to compensate for reducing pace at the end of his career.

But both were genuine ATGs.

Steyn's great strength was his swing but for some unknown reason he bowls cross seam virtually every ball. If the cross seam was a variation then it makes sense but even that is putting off the inevitable, decline of players is like death, it comes to everyone, it's just a matter of when.

Probably only got around 2 years sadly

And at that time I could see AB and Amla retiring too

Styen has being injured in last two years , does not look like fully recovered, but still keep on playing here and there... It did not helped him or the team... Loosing pace does not help, Little life is left in him.

Sometime makes terrible decisions, why he was bowling cross seam in first over ? [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has announced his retirement. A sterling career but an anti-climatic ending.

I'm personally surprised that he is still playing ODIs and T20s. I thought he would retire from ODIs after the 2015 World Cup and from T20s after this World T20, but so far, he hasn't dropped any hints.

Three years after making this post, he's retired from tests but still plays LOIs. Do you reckon he'll be a part of the WT20 in the next two years? Seems like a bizarre move to me.

Three years after making this post, he's retired from tests but still plays LOIs. Do you reckon he'll be a part of the WT20 in the next two years? Seems like a bizarre move to me.

It seems like a desperation decision to compensate for his earlier than expected retirement from Tests.

I believe his goal was to retire from ODIs after this year’s World Cup and play Tests for another 2 years but his perennial injuries have ruined things.

The decision to play ODIs and T20Is seems to be an emotional decision and I hope CSA talk some sense into him. It will be pointless for them to pick him as they build towards 2023.

Back