When will Dale Steyn retire?

Haroon786

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Will CSA prevent Steyn from going through that decline phase of a fast bowler or just let him keep contributing?

Re: Steyn and retirement

Why would he retire at his peak? He is barely 30. I for a second though Steyn was retiring or something. Would have been party at Hafeez's house. TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!!!!

Well i think he is currently the best bowler right now.
But i am not seeing him taking more than 400 wickets.
He will struggle outside southafrica
and i think fast bowlers decline after 30.

Well as long as he keeps bowling like this-he can continue till he has grandchildren.
On a serious note,it is his decision. Or CSA may force him to retire if he isn;t contributing. But I think he won't go through that decline because he plays on grasslands of SA where you just have to release the ball,wicket does the rest for you. :D :p :yk

I don't think he'll struggle. He isn't bowling as fast as he used to but he doesn't need to. His action will get swing going more times than not even bowling in the mid 80s. So I don't think he'll be causing a massive toll on his body, don't think his injury record is bad either.

Why would he retire so early?
He's the best bowler in the world of this generation.
He deserves to be in the record book of cricket

Just look at Curtly Ambrose to show how a bowler can remain brilliant after losing speed.

Steyn's clever enough to still be a very good bowler. Barring injury I'd expect him to be good enough to justify test selection for 5-6 more years at the very least.

Well i think he is currently the best bowler right now.
But i am not seeing him taking more than 400 wickets.
He will struggle outside southafrica
and i think fast bowlers decline after 30.

you are aware he has 332 wickets already right?
And why would he struggle outside SA?

SA has to play 13 tests till 2014 and more than 21 tests till 2015.

Even if Steyn plays from 2 years more he will be able to take 400 wickets.

Can't see how he will suddenly start struggling in next 12-15 months.

where did this idea pop out anyway. He is at his peak right now and i think he can keep going till he is 33-34. After that i suppose he will hang his boots or maybe drop his pace to mid 130s and just depend on movement.

Steyn is one of the fittest players of the game and I reckon he can play for another 5 years at the least. His purple patch has been long enough to suggest he will also break some bowling records in the coming years.

I really don't think this person would be thinking anything about his retirement during a long purple patch he's enjoying atm!

Steyn is ages 30 right now, so i reckon his got another good 2 years,
CSA have managed him will as he plays only when needed so his preserved abit longer,

Hid going though a purple patch in cricket and i can see that continuing against a batting line up like Pakistan have,
Steyn is special with out doubt,
+ his been managed really well, his not been bowled down to the ground at domestic level or neither does he play ever odi match South africa play in ,

Why should he retire?He has been the best bowler in the past 4/5 years.

All genuine fast bowlers pass through a phase where their stats take some dip(from Lillee to wasim its universal), because of limitations of human body. I think he will play somewhere around 95 tests as usually ATG Fast bowlers do not play long after they are like 30 Avg bowlers(still good by some standards). BTW recently steyn's body is showing signs of some strain.

Last edited:

SA has to play 13 tests till 2014 and more than 21 tests till 2015.

Even if Steyn plays from 2 years more he will be able to take 400 wickets.

Can't see how he will suddenly start struggling in next 12-15 months.

Well every cricketer has ups and downs.
Steyn is on peak at the moment. He will struggle once his gets slower and i think he is getting slower now....As i said he ll struggle now as his peak is over (just my prediction):wasim

All genuine fast bowlers pass through a phase where their stats take some dip(from Lillee to wasim its universal), because of limitations of human body. I think he will play somewhere around 95 tests as usually ATG Fast bowlers do not play long after they are like 30 Avg bowlers(still good by some standards). BTW recently steyn's body is showing signs of some strain.

Bingo!!!!:zoni

He has lost 6-7 kph avg pace but still can clock 145kph for a few overs if he wants...swing is his weapon and he will play 3 more years at peak,don't see him taking more than 450 wickets TBH,that's not the SA way to keep playing for that long

He has lost 6-7 kph avg pace but still can clock 145kph for a few overs if he wants...swing is his weapon and he will play 3 more years at peak,don't see him taking more than 450 wickets TBH,that's not the SA way to keep playing for that long

Right
We have seen how had they sidelined pollock and ntini when they lost tricks in their bowling.

Steyn is on peak at the moment. He will struggle once his gets slower and i think he is getting slower now....As i said he ll struggle now as his peak is over (just my prediction):wasim

Ambrose
Lillee
McGrath

Three bowlers that remained great after losing pace.

Steyn has never relied on his pace to get wickets.

Ambrose
Lillee
McGrath

Lillee had his clear tail end of career, It is almost universal for genuine fast bowlers as they rely more on late swing at atleast good pace if not express.

Last edited:
Ambrose
Lillee
McGrath

He only has out swing to right handers. So he largely depends on his pace.
As he is not as effective against left handers becoz of only one swing he has naturally...
I rate him really higher but he needs to perform in all formats to become ATG...

Like wasim and mcgrath. They both had inswing and outswing....They kept bastmen guessing about the swing.
Steyn bowling will die once he lose pace...

Like wasim and mcgrath. They both had inswing and outswing....They kept bastmen guessing about the swing.
Steyn bowling will die once he lose pace...

wasim and steyn are similiar i.e. both rely on late swing at high pace while Mcgrath is in different category he was hit the deck hard fast medium.Almost all ATG Genuine fast bowlers have a career span of 70-100 tests, steyn is managing his load effectively so lets see how long he plays.

Last edited:
Hopefully soon says Mohammad Hafeez.

Steyn has a good action & should be around for 3 more years .

the guy will play till age of 37
will probably not be as good after 3-4 years but still should be decent enough to be included in top 5 bowlers when he retires

I have a feeling he will retire soon. I have a feeling he will join a university where Hafeez will be a professor and Steyn will do his level best to throw questions at the professor who will have no answer to them

ok boss.
Since you have a crystal ball can you give me the lottery numbers as well?

People are getting the thrread wrong, I didn't say that he should retire now, but when.

I have a feeling he will retire soon. I have a feeling he will join a university where Hafeez will be a professor and Steyn will do his level best to throw questions at the professor who will have no answer to them

That already happened. It was called the Pakistan tour of South Africa 2013

Dale Steyn is a special bowler, a rare breed for this generation.

A 34 year old Steyn would still probably be considered the best bowler in the world, there's just no quality going around these days and doesn't look that's going to change for a while.

ok boss.
Since you have a crystal ball can you give me the lottery numbers as well?

Yeah sure. I had won lottery 3 years back of about $40k

He isn't retiring anytime soon. Best fast bowler in the WORLD right now. Love watching him bowl when his flow and aggression is kicked into a whole new level.

Considering he has the luxury of being committed to one format only and cherry picks which ODI/T20 matches to play, he'll have a long career.

Will be as good as he is now for probably another 4/5 years and then a couple of mediocre ones.

In the last couple of years of his career, he will probably bowl like he does in ODIs now. Good control and discipline but no penetration.

I'm curious when will Umar Akmal retire?

You're taking an unneccessary hit at the thread, the title was changed by a mod, what I attempted to say in the OP was whether CSA would make Steyn go through that phase where most fast bowler's stats nosediv, as at this rate Steyn is well on the way to being one of the greatest ATG bowlers.

Dale Steyn has earned the right to decide when he should retire just like Pollock (who was given the dignity), Kallis etc.
Not sure what the fuss is

Dale Steyn has earned the right to decide when he should retire just like Pollock (who was given the dignity), Kallis etc.

Nobody has attempted to take that right from him or has anyone?

The OP is simply speculating. Not sure why you are feeling so insecure.

He's only 30 now. Not sure why would someone talk about his retirement?

Im not trying to downplay him, the reason of this thread is to just admire the excellence of Steyn and how much he has done in a short period, thus the question of retirement.

James Anderson is same age yet no "When will he retire"? regarded as same calibre by english experts as Steyn.

The real question is when will Misbah ul Haq retire? :)

Guys the mods changed the title, hence the confusion.

He will retire i think around 36 to 37 after having about 2 mediocre years.As MG said He is really carrying himself as he is not over burdening himself with T20 and ODI. By that time he will have about over 500 wickets in tests.

In his last 15 matches he has been avg around 21 so when that last 15 matches avg will hit around 32 then he will retire. :p I somehow get the feeling he will be amongst those ATG that will retire a little late but not too late. :tendu

^ Ditto these are the type of comments I was looking forward to upon creation of the thread, personally I think he will have 23 avg and mid 40s sr which is ridiculously brilliant, but obviously bettered by Marshall and subjectively by few other bowlers too.

He will announce his retirement the day Hafeez announces his, simply because there will be no batsman left in world cricket who would offer Steyn any kind of challenge.

check it out... since jan 2012 he has played 15 test and 29 test innings and avg 21 but in that same amount of period he has played only 16 ODI and avgs 36 with the best figures of 2/24 . :eek: :eek: but hey you are doing awesome in tests and thats where it counts.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...an;template=results;type=bowling;view=innings

One of his inhibiting factors as a claim to greatness of the ATGs, he has a very well managed calendar and is thus able to perform optimally almost every match however he is average in ODIs and this puts him down the list.

^ Ditto these are the type of comments I was looking forward to upon creation of the thread, personally I think he will have 23 avg and mid 40s sr which is ridiculously brilliant, but obviously bettered by Marshall and subjectively by few other bowlers too.

I agree he will have an avg very similar to that. I will be very surprised if he avgs over 25 after retirement. The way he is going even if he has couple of mediocre years at the end it wont effect his over all avg too much and it will be around 23 ish.
One of his inhibiting factors as a claim to greatness of the ATGs, he has a very well managed calendar and is thus able to perform optimally almost every match however he is average in ODIs and this puts him down the list.

Yes he has his priorities straight and obviously wants to be called the ATG in test which i believe is a fine approach and right too. Obviously a player who avgs awesome in tests and mediocre in ODI will be much more thought of then a player who avgs mediocre in tests and great in ODI. He seems to be thinking along the same lines especially since the saffers are also dominating in tests.

I still remember when i saw him on the scene first time
It was in a 3rd match of an afro asia cup 2005 in southafrica, where he destroyed sehwag's stumps with his traditional outswing. Sehwag did not have a clue of where the bowl pitched and where it gone.
Treat to watch but sadly the match was over early due to rain.

He is a fantastic bowler and has a number of years left in him.

Interesting miniature debate regarding his pace. I personally don't consider him to be a bowler of extreme pace at all. A fast or a fast-medium seam bowler is what he is. He often bowls in the 80s, 82 to 88 say. He gets wickets with swing on a full length, and he does it brilliantly.

You don't need to bowl 95mph to be a great. Casual fanz take note...

He is a fantastic bowler and has a number of years left in him.

Interesting miniature debate regarding his pace. I personally don't consider him to be a bowler of extreme pace at all. A fast or a fast-medium seam bowler is what he is. He often bowls in the 80s, 82 to 88 say. He gets wickets with swing on a full length, and he does it brilliantly.

You don't need to bowl 95mph to be a great. Casual fanz take note...

he is Genuine fast what you call a "RIGHT ARM FAST" 85mph+ average is genuine pace in a test match, and he can crank it up any time. Almost all ATG Genuine fast bowlers from Marshal to Wasim swing the ball late at sufficient high pace (135+) and he is one of them. Though he is not an all out express bowler(a notch above genuine fast) but still Sufficient air speed is very important if you are relying on swing.

My measure of genuine fast is 145kmph+ or 90 mph+

I agree he will have an avg very similar to that. I will be very surprised if he avgs over 25 after retirement. The way he is going even if he has couple of mediocre years at the end it wont effect his over all avg too much and it will be around 23 ish.

Yes he has his priorities straight and obviously wants to be called the ATG in test which i believe is a fine approach and right too. Obviously a player who avgs awesome in tests and mediocre in ODI will be much more thought of then a player who avgs mediocre in tests and great in ODI. He seems to be thinking along the same lines especially since the saffers are also dominating in tests.

Yes I agree with your points, however that picking and choosing makes him abit lesser IMO.

My measure of genuine fast is 145kmph+ or 90 mph+

not many in the history of game will average that high over a whole test match.

For me a genuine fast bowler can crank it up to 145-150 for a spell when required but for average speed, cutoff is mid to high 80s mph, wasim, Imran , lillee etc were all like that on average in high 80s.

Last edited:
Considering he has the luxury of being committed to one format only and cherry picks which ODI/T20 matches to play, he'll have a long career.

Will be as good as he is now for probably another 4/5 years and then a couple of mediocre ones.

In the last couple of years of his career, he will probably bowl like he does in ODIs now. Good control and discipline but no penetration.

those are the demands of the modern game, and look how well it has served the Saffers.

--

Steyn is at the peak of his powers and his bowling gameplan is developed enough that he does not NEED sheer pace to dismiss the batsman.

should be around for a fair while, barring injuries.

If Anderson bowls 84/5 mph than I believe Steyn does 87-90 mph regularly and even mkre in certain spells.

he is Genuine fast what you call a "RIGHT ARM FAST" 85mph+ average is genuine pace in a test match, and he can crank it up any time. Almost all ATG Genuine fast bowlers from Marshal to Wasim swing the ball late at sufficient high pace (135+) and he is one of them. Though he is not an all out express bowler(a notch above genuine fast) but still Sufficient air speed is very important if you are relying on swing.

He bowls fast on flat pitches or on pitches where he is getting reverse swing. When he is getting help from pitches he just tries to swing the ball at 82-85 mph.

That's what separates him from fast medium bowler who bowl above 85 mph in certain spells only when they are in good rhythm and not always when they would need to bowl quick.

He bowls fast on flat pitches or on pitches where he is getting reverse swing. When he is getting help from pitches he just tries to swing the ball at 82-85 mph.

That's what separates him from fast medium bowler who bowl above 85 mph in certain spells only when they are in good rhythm and not always when they would need to bowl quick.

yup for me cranking it up when required is one of the fundamental ability of a genuine fast bowler.

1) average pace in mid eighties(and above)

2) full throttle ; 90mph + when required.

Last edited:
Back