Where did Javed Miandad rank amongst the great batsmen of all time?

Harsh Thakor

First Class Star
Runs
Post of the Week
There could be few sights in sport to behold more than witnessing the intensity of Javed Miandad fighting it out in the middle,resembling a soldier on the battlefield.He simply was the ultimate epitome of combative spirit or grit.He was not a purist as a batsmen or technically perfect nor so graceful .However to ressurect a team from the grave Javed was the ultimate batsmen-cometh the hour-cometh the man.Gavaskar was more technically perfect,Viv Richards more agressive,Azharudin more elegant or Lara more creative but it was still Miandad who would niggle opponents more.Javed was a master on bad wickets performing like a surgeon performing an operation.Above all he posessed the great tenacity or concentration to compile marathon scores ,scoring more double hundreds than any great batsmen of his time,including 3 250+ scores .

Statistically in test matches he had staggering figures amassing 8832 runs at an average of 52.27 with 23 centuries ,including six double centuries.However he had a much better average at home than away.Unlike many batting greats he had only one succesful tour of West Indies and was not so prolific in Australia.Border averaged around 45+ away in contrast to his 65+average away.Overseas New Zealand was the best hunting ground for Javed .Still he was at his best on the tour of West Indies in 1988 averaging over 57 with 2 centuries and average over 72 and 59 respectively on tours of England in 1987 and 1992.Although inconsistent in Australia he scored a classic 135 at Perth in 1978-79 and 133 at Adelaide in 1983-84.Although his figures were not outstanding few Asian batsmen ever were such a scourge for pace bowlers on Australian or Carribean tracks as Javed,who could play the ball very near his face as few could.When stroking the ball on fast Australian tracks he revealed his great ability in tacking the short,rising ball.His batting in West Indies all but enabled Pakistan to win their 1st test series on Carribean soil and the unofficial world championship.He also scored a 272 in New Zealand in 1989.and a 260 in England in 1987,which played major role in Pakistan winning their 1st series on English soil.He revealed his great strokemaking ability facing the likes of Malcolm Marshall on a difficult pitch at Trinidad that took his team on the brink of famous win.Dissension within the Pakistan team at important junctures prevented it blossoming into a unified unit and enabling Javed thus to win more games for his country,overseas.At home he had phenomenal consistency ,better than any great batsmen of his time.His most memorable performance were his back to back centuries in the same test match that took his side home in 1984,his 76 versus West Indies at Karachi in 1986 and his unbeaten 280 at Hyderabad in 1982-83.

In ODI's in my view Javed was only next to Viv Richards displaying supreme craft and determination.His batting was a revelation in run chases and took temperament and craftsmanship to regions of the divine when scoring a a match-winning 116 v India at Sharjah in the 1986 Australasia cup final .There are few adjectives in the dictionary which would do complete justice to that knock of Miandad which was close to the perfect ODI innings.In 1987 he scored 7 consecutive fifties in India,Sharjah,England and Pakistan which spoke volumes of his consistency,which he repeated in the 1992 world cup when he averaged over 62 including fifties in the semi-final and final and in South Africa in a tr-nation series in 1992-93.He was one of the major architects of Pakistan's win in the 1992 world cup being the perfect foil for Inzamam Ul Haq in the semi-final and Imran Khan in the final.No batsmen had a better repertoire of strokes or was as imaginative in drilling the final holes in the wall as Javed,who was the best batsmen to give the final finishing touches in a run chase. He posessed the mastery of wizard in finding the gaps and bisecting the field ,like few batsmen ever did.I never saw a better manipulator of the cricket ball in ODI's than Javed whose chip shot and pull had touches of a genius.To lift a side out of the depths of despair to reach the pinnacle of glory Javed would be my choice more than anyone.

At times he did get brash or reckless and had a tendency to play too much across the line or shuffle and was thus often a victim of leg before decisions .He also could be very cocky and arrogant on the field.However he also gave the game the vibrations of a great entertainer ,giving it its ultimate liveliness.Many were more artistic or technically correct but few ever overpowered opponents more in the mind than Miandad.His batting also had an element of genius,particularly in his pull shot,which had the touch of a magician..Few batsmen made better technical adjustments in accordance with the batting conditions.Although overshadowed greatly by Imran Khan as a captain it must be noted that he led Pakistan to win their 1st series against Australia in 1980 and led them to win a series in England in 1992.In ODI cricket he led Pakistan to secure the runners up berth in the 1985 world championship of Cricket.Significantly he could set a field for Abdul Qadir better than even Imran Khan could which was revealed in series in 1982 and 1997 when he led his country.Arguably he did not get sufficient chance to lead his country being a victim of politics.Javed did not win as many games as later stalwarts like Inzamam Ul Haq but still saved more games,playing in an era where test matches had half as many results.He also averaged 9 more than Inzamam away.More than stats I judge Javed by the psychological and physical impact he created in the middle.There could be few more batting spectacles than witnessing Javed bat with Zaheer Abbas whose batting style differed like chalk with cheese.I wish we could have seen Javed more at his best against the most lethal pacemen like Lillee,Thomson,Holding or Marshall.Unlike Gooch,Gavaskar and Border Javed did not play the great West Indian pacemen so frequently or in full 5 test series.Javed was very much in the mould of an Ian Chappell of his day,who would overshadow brother Greg and Viv in a crisis.Javed was ta his best from 1987-89 where he rose to the stature of toppling the great Viv Richards for the title of the best batsmen in the world displaying phenomenal consistency on tours of India,England,New Zeland and West Indies .

Where would Miandad rank when compared to the other great batsmen?In my book just a notch below the best like Bradman,Hobbs,Tendulkar,Viv,Sobers,Lara ,Hammmond,Hutton and Gavaskar and in strong contention with Greg Chappell,Graeme Pollock,Rahul Dravid ,Everton Weekes George Headley and Alan Border.Border was more prolfic and consistent than Javed with a significantly better record overseas but could not keep the scoreboard moving or pull the wool out of the eyes of opponents like Javed.In ODI's I would rank Miandad amongst the top 5 of all and in his time the best with Viv Richards.In the decade of the 1980s from 1987-89 Javed was the best test batsmen in the world a,height which Alan Border never reached in his career.Viv Richards ranks Miandad as the best batsmen of his time with Gavaskar and Greg Chappell.Dennis Lille rates Javed behind only Viv,Sobers,Pollock,Barry Richards and Greg Chappell amongst batsmen he bowled to.David Gower ranks Javed at 34th place amongst his 50 best cricketers of all time while .Richard Hadlee rated Javed to be amogst the most complete batsmen he ever bowled to,Cristopher Martin Jenkings places him at 55th place.Ian Botham picked Javed in his all-time XI.n the final analysis merging his ODI performance I may just scrape Javed in the top 15 batsmen of all time.Steve Waugh and Jacques Kallis had better records but I still feel Javed was more of a threat to opponents and would overshadow Kallis in playing to the tune of a situation.Had Miandad played in later eras I would have backed him to average around 57.

To me if the chips were down Miandad was my choice even in an alltime XI!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent. Top four in the eighties with Richards, Gavaskar and Border.

A bit of a drop in his figures vs WI but to be fair nearly everyone had that.

Excellent. Top four in the eighties with Richards, Gavaskar and Border.

A bit of a drop in his figures vs WI but to be fair nearly everyone had that.
Compared to Greg Chappell?Or Everton Weekes ?

Ask any Indian and Pakistani about Miandad, the only thing comes to their is the SIXXXXXXXX.
It was never done before and never after with the same intensity.

best pakistan batsman of all time. Far better than abbas, inzi and younis.

match winner. As good as guys like de villiers etc.

He was better than his stats suggest - really did like a fight and had plenty of appetite for tough runs. He scored the runs that mattered. Dont want to put anybody else down to prove his worth but he didnt fail like Sachin who after scoring huge runs failed at ICC finals.

The reason why he didnt fail was by nature he was the sort of person who would relish finals and runs that really counted for his team.

Greatest Asian batsman after Tendulkar, Kohli, Gavaskar and Sangakkara, and Pakistan’s only all-time great batsman.

Greatest Asian batsman after Tendulkar, Kohli, Gavaskar and Sangakkara, and Pakistan’s only all-time great batsman.

For a long time I thought Kohli was a warrior like Miandad and had the appetite to score the runs that mattered, But it seems so far he has failed to score the runs when his team really needed him to in Finals.

One of the very best. He was even better in ODIs. Only Tendulkar and Kohli have been better all-round batsmen in Asia.

ODIs considered Miandad was better than both Gavaskar and Sanga. In tests, he was inferior to them.

I agree with your this analysis but how do you rank him as a whole not only as an asian? I think he is one of the best there too,

I am a great fan of Javed, the ODI batsman, an ATG though his stats might not be that eye catching for millennials who can compare with stats like Hashim Amla’s 50/90 or Fakhar Zaman managing 50/100 ....., but he was truly the batsman you would love to bat at 4, under crisis. Javed tarnished his legacy by forcing his way to 1996 WC (should have retired after 1992/93 WSC, end was evidently nigh .....), but I am still waiting for a batsman calculating a chase like that under all odds and pressure.

BUT, Javed was a street fighter, with a big heart and great mind, but flawed technique. His technical limitations wasn’t exposed that much in ODIs, but he wasn’t the same batsman in Test for his weakness against leaving balls. Javed had an unique double eye stance (like Sarfraz), which allowed him to see the ball better and allowed him to manoeuvre the ball almost as will, which made him the ultimate middle order in ODI, but that stance made his extremely vulnerable around off-stick - anything that left often squired him up, anything that that came back, would often find his stranded pads first. I would have loved to see how Javed could manage someone like Alderman or Mo Asif, with that technique.

Having said that, he was probably among top 3-4 spin players of all-time - behind Lara & Gavaskar, somewhere in between Azhar, Zaheer, Mahela, Sehwag, YK....and he’ll make the Test team of 1980s; but as a Test batsman, I am not sure at their best, whom I’ll pick first - Javed Mirandad or Graham Gooch/Gordon Grineedge. Probably, that’s the best way I can sum up about the Test batsman, Javed Mirandad.

For a long time I thought Kohli was a warrior like Miandad and had the appetite to score the runs that mattered, But it seems so far he has failed to score the runs when his team really needed him to in Finals.

In spite of performing below his potential (so far) in ODI knockouts, he is a cut above Miandad.

ODIs considered Miandad was better than both Gavaskar and Sanga. In tests, he was inferior to them.

Gavaskar is inarguably the greatest Test opener, so I have to put him ahead. Miandad vs Sangakkara is almost 50-50 for me, but Sangakkara did enough in ODIs in the last 5-6 years of his career to surpass him in my opinion.

I agree with your this analysis but how do you rank him as a whole not only as an asian? I think he is one of the best there too,

Top 15-20, which certainly makes him one of the very, very best.

I am a great fan of Javed, the ODI batsman, an ATG though his stats might not be that eye catching for millennials who can compare with stats like Hashim Amla’s 50/90 or Fakhar Zaman managing 50/100 ....., but he was truly the batsman you would love to bat at 4, under crisis. Javed tarnished his legacy by forcing his way to 1996 WC (should have retired after 1992/93 WSC, end was evidently nigh .....), but I am still waiting for a batsman calculating a chase like that under all odds and pressure.

BUT, Javed was a street fighter, with a big heart and great mind, but flawed technique. His technical limitations wasn’t exposed that much in ODIs, but he wasn’t the same batsman in Test for his weakness against leaving balls. Javed had an unique double eye stance (like Sarfraz), which allowed him to see the ball better and allowed him to manoeuvre the ball almost as will, which made him the ultimate middle order in ODI, but that stance made his extremely vulnerable around off-stick - anything that left often squired him up, anything that that came back, would often find his stranded pads first. I would have loved to see how Javed could manage someone like Alderman or Mo Asif, with that technique.

Having said that, he was probably among top 3-4 spin players of all-time - behind Lara & Gavaskar, somewhere in between Azhar, Zaheer, Mahela, Sehwag, YK....and he’ll make the Test team of 1980s; but as a Test batsman, I am not sure at their best, whom I’ll pick first - Javed Mirandad or Graham Gooch/Gordon Grineedge. Probably, that’s the best way I can sum up about the Test batsman, Javed Mirandad.

How does he compare with Dravid,Border and Greg Chappell ?Or even Weekes or Headley?

30-40 in a list of best batsman. With regards to his Test average, most people who followed cricket back then know what’s the secret behind that average.

How does he compare with Dravid,Border and Greg Chappell ?Or even Weekes or Headley?

Better than Gower & Border as ODI batsman (better by some margin), Greg - neck a neck, I’ll take Javed at 4, Greg at 3, but Viv was there at 3 always, and Zaheer will be at 5, so Greg misses out in ODI of his generation.

As Test batsman, there is absolutely no comparison with Greg, may be Border as well; but Javed was better Test batsman than Gower. Among these 4, he was the best spin player, but in other parameters, Greg & Border we’re superior. I am a bit biased to Greg, because as a kid, I spent my early few years in Australia, when Greg was in his fading age - still gracious, an unique class of his own. Before 2000s, Test cricket had a different status than ODI, hence Greg will always be a legend to me.

Gower shouldn’t be evaluated based on his batting only, because he was the supreme artist - a bit like Azharudin; on his day looked like million dollar kid, but he wasn’t comparable with the other 3 middle orders of his generation - AB, Javed & MCrowe.

Era wise , I will put it in below order:-

1970s-80s:-

Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Sunil Gavaskar
Allan Border( he was a better test batter)
Javed Miandad

90s-00s:-

Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Waugh
Kallis
Sangakkara
Dravid

10s:-

Kohli
Smith
AB de Villiers

That's 15 names that will come to my mind since 70s.

One of the greatest ever. Won us many matches/tourneys. Kind of guy who stays there and keeps on fighting. Miandad knew how to make oppositions' plans null.

Technique? maybe Dravid or Sunny were better.
Timing? Maybe Zaheer Abbas was better.
Runs scored? No one scored more than SRT.

But in the end, he was a true warrior and his contribution is beyond stats. I'll always rate him in Top 1/2; behind only Gavaskar; depending.

PS: I don't think any team has suffered as Pakistan from bad umpiring; we have lost series (multiple) and matches against WI/Aus etc. over the decades.

I would rate the careers of Bradman, Tendulkar, Lara, Viv, Sobers, Ponting, Chappell, Border, Gavaskar, Dravid, Sangakkara, Hammond, Hutton, Hobbs, Kallis, Waugh, Younis, Smith as slightly superior to Miandad. I am sure some mentions there will be unpopular like Younis and Smith, but that's how I feel.

Definitely a great player and I rate him higher than the likes of ABdV and kohli who are a little overrated in the test format.

Miandad will always divide opinions - between Pakistanis and non-Pakistanis and between those who saw him play and those who haven't.

For a Pakistani who saw him walk in to bat at 9/2 all the time and get to work dismantling the opposition, he is unmatched in Pakistan's batting history.

His average may be inflated by biased umpiring at home (I'd argue everyone from that era had his average inflated for the same reasons including Chappell, Richards and Gower), but averages aren't everything.

The biggest reason Miandad is revered by those who saw him is not his average - it is his impact on the tempo of play, on the minds of his opposition and on the belief of his own team.

Those who put Inzamam, Waugh and Younis above him in Pakistan's batting charts clearly think cricket began in late 90's.

Miandad will always divide opinions - between Pakistanis and non-Pakistanis and between those who saw him play and those who haven't.

For a Pakistani who saw him walk in to bat at 9/2 all the time and get to work dismantling the opposition, he is unmatched in Pakistan's batting history.

His average may be inflated by biased umpiring at home (I'd argue everyone from that era had his average inflated for the same reasons including Chappell, Richards and Gower), but averages aren't everything.

The biggest reason Miandad is revered by those who saw him is not his average - it is his impact on the tempo of play, on the minds of his opposition and on the belief of his own team.

Those who put Inzamam, Waugh and Younis above him in Pakistan's batting charts clearly think cricket began in late 90's.

Gower averaged 42 at home and 46 away.

But Miandad averaged a whopping 61 at home and 45 away. Home umps gave him out lbw just eight times, while overseas he got out 24 times that way.

Only Pakistani fans will understand his true value because he scored the runs that mattered. Fought like a warrior for Pakistan in the biggest of games. If you compare him to say SRT or Virat both have failed massively in ICC finals.

Both SRT and Virat are better batsmen in general with better techniques. But mentally Miandad was like a heavy weight boxer he had that siege mentality which allowed him to score the toughest of runs.

Gower averaged 42 at home and 46 away.

But Miandad averaged a whopping 61 at home and 45 away. Home umps gave him out lbw just eight times, while overseas he got out 24 times that way.

Irrelevant what Gower averaged at home. He could have averaged 35 at home - if home umpire advantage is to be taken as a premise.

More to the point, Javed's home vs away average has been debated ad nauseum so I don't want to get into the debate. But I remember vividly 6 Pakistani batsmen given LBW in an innings in Australia and walking back in disbelief looking at scoreboards, clear outs not given in deciding tests in consecutive series in West Indies, Gavaskar getting lives in Bangalore, and umpire David Constant's 'hand' in the 82 series - all these events protested by Pakistan vociferously and justifiably.

Every country has stories to tell of umpiring.

All 3 were better Test batsman, Greg by some margin, AB clearly and Dravid may be marginally.

All three were inferior ODI batsman - Greg by a whisker, Dravid by some margin and AB as well, probably behind Dravid.

J.Miandad was easily the best batsmen against spinners... had the courage and concentration/temprament matched only by Gavasker ... his battles with WI were xamplary .... i would put him just behind Gavasker n Tendulkar ....

over world all time batsmen, he can gain rainkings due to his ability to play spin .... but will struggle to make to 10 ...

Javed Miandad was the batsman to bat for you on difficult wickets , a batsman who never gave up. There are so many batters who are more talented , play more dazzling shots , time the ball better than him , have better averages etc , but trust me one thing Miandad had was that he hated to loose . He will look bad but he will stick to the wicket and fight it out like a street fighter.

We cannot measure greatness of a batsman only by numbers , if that was the case Sangakara would be better than Viv. But those who saw Viv play will never agree . Greatness has to be asserted by the match situation and impact a batsman creates.

In tests, Miandad is second only to Younis.

As an all format batsman, who probably falls behind Inzy and Yousuf.

Best ever in our history. Pitty that his man management skills did not match up and his ego was beneath him to coach the U19 and domestic players

Greatest ever Pakistan batsmen and top 20 batsmen ever.
I will give ranking retired test batsmen a go.

1. Bradman
2. Hobbs
3. Sobers
4. Sachin
5. Hutton
6. Viv
7. Headley
8. Lara
9. Hammond
10. Pollock
11. Border
12. Ponting
13. Waugh
14. Kallis
15. Chappell
16. Dravid
17. Gavaskar
18. Miandad
19. Sangakarra

Irrelevant what Gower averaged at home. He could have averaged 35 at home - if home umpire advantage is to be taken as a premise.

More to the point, Javed's home vs away average has been debated ad nauseum so I don't want to get into the debate. But I remember vividly 6 Pakistani batsmen given LBW in an innings in Australia and walking back in disbelief looking at scoreboards, clear outs not given in deciding tests in consecutive series in West Indies, Gavaskar getting lives in Bangalore, and umpire David Constant's 'hand' in the 82 series - all these events protested by Pakistan vociferously and justifiably.

Every country has stories to tell of umpiring.

So you argue that every batter of that era had average inflated at home and conversely deflated away by biased umpires.

How do you explain Gower’s higher average away?

Miandad was not destructive but highly effective. Gordon Grenidge once commented that he would surprise the opposition with his street smartness, quick running between the wickets and out of no where they will discover the guy is 40 runs of 45 deliveries and they will be mystified how he managed to do it without hitting boundaries

it's funny how underrated he is. This guy is as good as dravid, Lara etc. Insane career. Best Pakistani batsmen ever.

younis khan
miandad
yousuf
abbas
inzi

these 5 in Pakistan's ATG. Looks pretty Damn stacked to me.

all 5 averaged above 45 except maybe abbas.
azam to join them in the future.

Last edited:
So you argue that every batter of that era had average inflated at home and conversely deflated away by biased umpires.

How do you explain Gower’s higher average away?

If umpiring were a constant 1:1 factor, I would have but you don't know circumstances of each test, player, umpire you come across etc.

Gower was a bloody good batsman and a monster in Pakistan. Immovable. So he deserves all accolades. My point is that every country got raw deal abroad, and maybe some players more than others.

it's funny how underrated he is. This guy is as good as dravid, Lara etc. Insane career. Best Pakistani batsmen ever.

younis khan
miandad
yousuf
abbas
inzi

Yep agreed. Very similar to dravid and slightly below lara. Top notch fighter. Would rate that Pak batting lineup a tight 6th of all historical lineups, but close to India and SA. just out of interests who opens for you. I would probably replace Abbas with Anwar and open with Anwar, Hanif followed by Younis at 1st drop then Javed, Inzi and Yousuf. Mushtaq Mohammad also a great player that is fighting for a spot at 6

Yep agreed. Very similar to dravid and slightly below lara. Top notch fighter. Would rate that Pak batting lineup a tight 6th of all historical lineups, but close to India and SA. just out of interests who opens for you. I would probably replace Abbas with Anwar and open with Anwar, Hanif followed by Younis at 1st drop then Javed, Inzi and Yousuf. Mushtaq Mohammad also a great player that is fighting for a spot at 6

yes agreed. I like the names you mentioned.

Australia
india
west indies
south africa
england
Pakistan

Would be my top 6 for atg batting lineups.

England is an interesting one, as they do not have many great middle order players (only Hammond, Barrington, maybe Compton) but they have 3 of the 4 greatest openers. The best england ATG XI has Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hutton, Compton, Hammond, Barrington but some people like to only play the two openers and have an inferior (May generally) replacement

England is an interesting one, as they do not have many great middle order players (only Hammond, Barrington, maybe Compton) but they have 3 of the 4 greatest openers. The best england ATG XI has Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hutton, Compton, Hammond, Barrington but some people like to only play the two openers and have an inferior (May generally) replacement

Depends how you quantify “great”.

Barrington averaged 58 but was more accumulator than batsman and dropped for slow scoring once.

PBH May averaged 46 yet is considered to be the best pressure player England ever had, and won a lot of tests as skipper. Most of his runs cane when the top three had failed. In WI he destroyed the confidence of mystery spinners Ramadhin and Valentine.

Compton was the original HTB. Unstoppable in England especially against the spinners, but only averaging 35 away.

Miandad would be in top 25 batsmen of all time. Certified ATG and should rank alongside likes of Dravid, Sangakarra, Kallis (the batsman) as 1.5 tier below the best.

Era wise , I will put it in below order:-

1970s-80s:-

Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Sunil Gavaskar
Allan Border( he was a better test batter)
Javed Miandad

90s-00s:-

Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Waugh
Kallis
Sangakkara
Dravid

10s:-

Kohli
Smith
AB de Villiers

That's 15 names that will come to my mind since 70s.

Pre-70s, you can add

Bradman
Sobers
Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond

So, comfortably in top 20 for me.

younis khan
miandad
yousuf
abbas
inzi

He’s higher than Dravid level and lower than LARA, Tendulkar league

Depends how you quantify “great”.

Barrington averaged 58 but was more accumulator than batsman and dropped for slow scoring once.

PBH May averaged 46 yet is considered to be the best pressure player England ever had, and won a lot of tests as skipper. Most of his runs cane when the top three had failed. In WI he destroyed the confidence of mystery spinners Ramadhin and Valentine.

Compton was the original HTB. Unstoppable in England especially against the spinners, but only averaging 35 away.

Barrington was very reliable. While I do not rate him in the top tier of batsmen with blokes like Sachin, he is the ideal person at 5 to stop a collapse. Much of his lower rating is his lower aesthetic value, as well as poorer county scores to other batsmen. In test matches however he stepped up. I am probably biased for Compton, really like the players who took on a larrikin attitude towards cricket following WW2, like Miller and Sid Barnes to an extent

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Timing, balance, finesse and skill - the one and only Javed Miandad <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/RGbBQqRpC1">pic.twitter.com/RGbBQqRpC1</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1258792071395229698?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 8, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

An interesting fact , Miandad’s career test batting average on the tour to England in 1992 was 54 which was second only to Sobers at that time for batsmen who had scored 7000 or more runs.

That’s pretty impressive to average that high playing in an era over 70s/80s/90s dominated by some of the greatest fast bowlers the game has seen. He would be averaging 60 today at least based on the standard of bowling in modern day test cricket.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 1987. Javed Miandad completed one of his six double-centuries in Test cricket. During his 260 at The Oval he became the first to score 6000 Test runs for Pakistan <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/DT14izn01y">pic.twitter.com/DT14izn01y</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1291643048611450880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 7, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 1976. The brilliant Javed Miandad aged only 19 scored 163 on Test debut against New Zealand in Lahore <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/FkTG9vL5dq">pic.twitter.com/FkTG9vL5dq</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1446726638012612611?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 9, 2021</a></blockquote>

Back