Which country has the best pace-bowling unit in Test cricket

Which country has the best pace-bowling unit in Test cricket?

• Total voters

Maher96

T20I Debutant
Runs
Test Championship in full effect, exciting days ahead for most teams with many series coming up.

As the title suggests who has the best Pace Bowling attack in Test cricket.

My Breakdown:

Australian bowlers currently have been on great form, taking wickets of England batsmen at will.

Having the likes of Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood (currently) at their disposal, Australia attack can be called the most complete to me. You also have Boland, Richardson, Neser or Green to add much needed support.

After the Australians I think Pakistan has the upper hand. I would probably place them even ahead of he Oz however they take the edge on experience over the Pakistani bowlers, Shaheen the spearhead of course, Hassan Ali, Faheem, Abbas, Naseem and the younger players to yet feature like Wasim Jr, Dahani, Hasnain or even Rauf.

Pakistan has always had the blessing of being able to players with raw speed and accuracy.

England without Archer (injured) looked toothless, Broad and Anderson are good but needed some support in this Series.

May be England missed a trick not adding Mahmood to the team as I am yet to be convinced by Robinson.

In addition in recent times we have seen England rely on Woakes and Wood in all formats.

India have had the fair share of Fast bowlers with Bumrah, Shami and Bhuvi leading the pack. Thakur has been a healthy addition for SENA conditions as 4th options. You also have Siraj and Navdeep Saini and Khaleel who have been part of the attack in recent times.

NZ arguably one of the best attacking partnerships when on song. Boult and Southee don't need much explanation. Additionally you also have Jamieson, Wagner or Lockie Ferguson.

South Africa have Rabada at their disposal who is amongst the best, he is well supported by Nortje, Ngidi, Duanne Oliver and also the newcomer Jansen as well. The country of Donald, Steyn and Ntini continues with its history of great fast bowlers.

Sri Lanka, West Indies and Bangladesh have fantastic individual talents among fast bowlers but I don't see them as the best bowling units.

I think these are the best attacks around at the moment, what do you guys think. Which country has the best pace-bowling unit in Test cricket in your opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to have an opinion. You can simply look up actual performance over a period. Unless we are predicting for the next 5-6 years.

Pakistan's bowling is nowhere even close to top 3 or 4. We do not even have the first change bowler for SENA conditions and Hasan Ali wouldn't exactly be a great bowler in SENA. My pick for best fast bowlers at the moment are as follows:

1. Australia - Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Boland and Green [AR]
2. SAF - Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje, Jansen and Mulder [AR]
3. India - Bumrah, Shami, Siraj and Ishant
4. NZL - Southee, Boult, Jamieson and Wagner
5. England - Anderson, Broad, Robinson, Wood and Woakes [AR]
6. Pakistan - Shaheen, Hasan, Naseem and Faheem [AR]

I would say Australia.

Cummins, Hazlewood, Boland, Green, and Starc. That lineup is the best in the world in the currently.

Australia. They have Richardson waiting in the wings. And even guys like Scott boland are extremely valuable bowlers . They have depth and quality.

I don't rate the SA attack that highly yet. They are good on bouncy decks but they got smashed in other conditions. Hansen is a great prospect but they need someone like Coetzee to step up so they can get rid of Ngidi/Olivier.

India's fastest attack had a great run from 2015-2021. But they are older, slower and the likes of shami, yadav and Ishant are on their last legs. If we can replace them, it would be a quality attack but I'm not sure we have ready made replacements yet. It might take a while.

NZ are good on some conditions but pants in others. Pakistan's attack is decent but unproven and England have a very average bowling attack.

Pakistan's bowling is nowhere even close to top 3 or 4. We do not even have the first change bowler for SENA conditions and Hasan Ali wouldn't exactly be a great bowler in SENA. My pick for best fast bowlers at the moment are as follows:

Correct me If am wrong but Hassan Ali got the most 5ers at Test Level this year and Shaheen is top wicket Taker no?

Pakistan. They have got the best pace attack in form of Shaheen, Hasan Ali, Abbas and Naseem Shah( till he changed his landing point while delivering the bowl in his run-up).

This attack is far more versatile, has got three bowlers who can bowl high 140s while the other is a metronomal like Vern, further they performs better on big stages and when it matters like Hasan Ali did in Champions Trophy or Shaheen in World T20s.

Alongside this pace quartet, they also have a responsible and smarter version of Shahid Afridi who produced a stellar performance in World Cup Semi Final vs the ultimate Winners of the tournaments.

Last edited:
It is Australia by a country mile!

Australia can't claim to have the best anything in the "world" if they never step out of that desert island.

So strike them out of the conversation first. New Zealand has a better shot than them.

Australia I reckon, but it will be interesting to see how they get on in Pakistan if they show up.

They have an attack ideally suited for England, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand but let's see how they do in Asia on a regular basis.

Pakistan. They have got the best pace attack in form of Shaheen, Hasan Ali, Abbas and Naseem Shah( till he changed his landing point while delivering the bowl in his run-up).

This attack is far more versatile, has got three bowlers who can bowl high 140s while the other is a metronomal like Vern, further they performs better on big stages and when it matters like Hasan Ali did in Champions Trophy or Shaheen in World T20s.

Alongside this pace quartet, they also have a responsible and smarter version of Shahid Afridi who produced a stellar performance in World Cup Semi Final vs the ultimate Winners of the tournaments.

I dare you to look into the test performances of this quartet over the last 2 years. You can even keep in the tests we played against Zimbabwe.

Aus has not stepped outside of Aus in more than 2 years now. It's one thing to dominate visiting teams at home and another to do the same when playing away. Since no recent data, extending it and comparing it with India since they have been the standout for the last 5-6 years.

Bowling avg of Aus and India - last 5 years playing away.

India - 26
Aus - 29

---------------

Indians also outbowled Aus in Aus. I see no evidence to say that Aus has the best pacers right now. Let's them actually perform as best.

As fans, we have too much recency bias. Aus blasted poor Eng at home so they became best especially when India failed to defend 240 and 210 kinds of scores in SA at the same time. Hardly proves that Aus is better.

Let Aus perform as best when stepping away from Aus. It will show up in actual data if and when they do it.

Last edited:
Aus has not stepped outside of Aus in more than 2 years now. It's one thing to dominate visiting teams at home and another to do the same when playing away. Since no recent data, extending it and comparing it with India since they have been the standout for the last 5-6 years.

Bowling avg of Aus and India - last 5 years playing away.

India - 26
Aus - 29

---------------

Indians also outbowled Aus in Aus. I see no evidence to say that Aus has the best pacers right now. Let's them actually perform as best.

As fans, we have too much recency bias. Aus blasted poor Eng at home so they became best especially when India failed to defend 240 and 210 kinds of scores in SA at the same time. Hardly proves that Aus is better.

Let Aus perform as best when stepping away from Aus. It will show up in actual data if and when they do it.

I agree with all that.

I think Oz have some excellent pacers and one great one (Cummins) but we do need to see them in Asia in 2022 (plenty of our cricket scheduled there).

Also that was the worst English batting lineup I've ever seen. Even when Johnson blew them away a few series ago you could see that Cook & Carberry were good players, just Johnson was on fire. Same with Trott- good player but just got beaten by a Johnson whirlwind. Can't say that about this current lot.

The pitches were also the grassiest & greenest I've seen for a while. Along with a cloudy/wet summer - our La Nina weather system which creates those conditions some summers.

Stating that Australia have the best modern pace bowling attack going around is like calling Axar Patel an ATG spinner.

I agree with all that.

I think Oz have some excellent pacers and one great one (Cummins) but we do need to see them in Asia in 2022 (plenty of our cricket scheduled there).

Also that was the worst English batting lineup I've ever seen. Even when Johnson blew them away a few series ago you could see that Cook & Carberry were good players, just Johnson was on fire. Same with Trott- good player but just got beaten by a Johnson whirlwind. Can't say that about this current lot.

The pitches were also the grassiest & greenest I've seen for a while. Along with a cloudy/wet summer - our La Nina weather system which creates those conditions some summers.

Cummins will surely go down as great and I rate Josh a lot. I do think it's a very good pace attack and do well on most surfaces. But that's my expectation right now, I would like to actually see Aus tour in Asia and see how they bowl. I think many fans are reading too much into how Eng unfolded and as you pointed out conditions were very friendly for pacers.

Anyway, I love that so many countries have very good pacers. It's a kind of revival after 90s.

Cummins will surely go down as great and I rate Josh a lot. I do think it's a very good pace attack and do well on most surfaces. But that's my expectation right now, I would like to actually see Aus tour in Asia and see how they bowl. I think many fans are reading too much into how Eng unfolded and as you pointed out conditions were very friendly for pacers.

Anyway, I love that so many countries have very good pacers. It's a kind of revival after 90s.

Yeah, really nice fast bowling era going back from Steyn & Johnson until now.

90s we had Kumble, Warne & Murali- barely a spinner to hold a candle to them now. Maybe Ashwin.

You have to have a bit of bias to call Australia the best attack, despite them coming up short against an out of form Indian batting line up in their own backyard.

Rabada-Nortje-Olivier
Cummins-Hazlewood-Starc
Bumrah-Shami-Siraj

I don't think there's much to pick apart here. They're all good, but based on performances of last 12 months. India edge them. SA, if they do well in NZ can take the top spot.

You have to have a bit of bias to call Australia the best attack, despite them coming up short against an out of form Indian batting line up in their own backyard.

Rabada-Nortje-Olivier
Cummins-Hazlewood-Starc
Bumrah-Shami-Siraj

I don't think there's much to pick apart here. They're all good, but based on performances of last 12 months. India edge them. SA, if they do well in NZ can take the top spot.

Don’t feel bias I just feel the Australian’s bring their A game when it matters. In important games 9/10
Times they do deliver.

Don’t feel bias I just feel the Australian’s bring their A game when it matters. In important games 9/10
Times they do deliver.

We're taking about test cricket. You are saying 3 tests they failed to bowl out India twice in their own backyard weren't important but Ashes was? why?

For me SA, NZ, AUS and India are about even.. it will depend on conditions which one is better.

Out of which Indian attack is past sell by date or getting past.

They played badly vs India.

probably was the wake up call they needed.

We're taking about test cricket. You are saying 3 tests they failed to bowl out India twice in their own backyard weren't important but Ashes was? why?

Of course beating is important but it's nothing like beating England.

For me SA, NZ, AUS and India are about even.. it will depend on conditions which one is better.

Out of which Indian attack is past sell by date or getting past.

Strange take.

Bumrah is in peak age for a pacer. Shami is 30, Siraj is 27

Yadav, Ishant are proven performers who have maybe 1-2 years left in tank but they are not even first choice.

So yeah, Shami-Bumrah-Siraj being past sell by date seems a bit of a stretch.

Strange take.

Bumrah is in peak age for a pacer. Shami is 30, Siraj is 27

Yadav, Ishant are proven performers who have maybe 1-2 years left in tank but they are not even first choice.

So yeah, Shami-Bumrah-Siraj being past sell by date seems a bit of a stretch.

Not sure how good a bowler Siraj will turn out to be he is still very young in his career, I didnt actually consider him as India usual attack. Shami is not bowling as good as he used to consistently I can only assume he is reach an age where fast bowlers speed decline etc. Also no way he is 30 looks more like 34.

Bumrah is at his peak and got 3/4 years left. India most consistent and best attack has been Bumrah-Ishant-Shami which sadly was a bit short lived as they came together a bit late.

Siraj and Shami will find it tough to retain their places in Indian team because Kohli is no longer there to support them as a captain or take a stand for them. :inti

Not sure how good a bowler Siraj will turn out to be he is still very young in his career, I didnt actually consider him as India usual attack. Shami is not bowling as good as he used to consistently I can only assume he is reach an age where fast bowlers speed decline etc. Also no way he is 30 looks more like 34.

Bumrah is at his peak and got 3/4 years left. India most consistent and best attack has been Bumrah-Ishant-Shami which sadly was a bit short lived as they came together a bit late.

Lol Shami is past it because of 1 series? He was a big factor in us leading 2-1 vs England. Also Siraj won us BGT and was a perfect 3rd seamer to Shami-Bumrah in England.

Like I mentioned here earlier, there is always this bias towards Australia for some. The Starc that looks so lethal now was made to look like a nobody by likes of Pant, Gill, Sundar who aren't even established test players. But he is a beast because they crushed England? And Mo Shami looks older, performs average in 1 series vs SA = done.

No Bias at all. Good day to you sir!

Last edited:

In what world is Indian pace attack better than NZ?
NZ has Lockie Ferguson & Adam Milne in addition to Southee, Boult, Jamieson & Wagner. NZ is far better than South Africa. Only Australia can claim a better attack than NZ.

Lol Shami is past it because of 1 series? He was a big factor in us leading 2-1 vs England. Also Siraj won us BGT and was a perfect 3rd seamer to Shami-Bumrah in England.

Like I mentioned here earlier, there is always this bias towards Australia for some. The Starc that looks so lethal now was made to look like a nobody by likes of Pant, Gill, Sundar who aren't even established test players. But he is a beast because they crushed England? And Mo Shami looks older, performs average in 1 series vs SA = done.

No Bias at all. Good day to you sir!

I already said Indians attack is just as good butting quickly getting passed its best sell by date.so far you have given nothing to prove otherwise.

Its not one bad series its not performing in dream bowling conditions.

Back