Who was the best player of spin bowling?

Micheal Clark is the best player of spin bowling of today's era
his foot work is awesome
he played swann beautifully in this ashes aswell as in the previous ashes
remember his century when he destroyed swann in 2nd test of ashes 2009

apart from Clark
younis khan and laxman are the best players of spin

hussey got great technique but i hvnt seen him comfortable against spin...every time he get owned by swann...he strugle alot infront of swann

Most Indian batsmen of 70s were the best players of spin bowling because that is the only quality bowling they would ever play in their own country. They used to open with spin bowlers ... and sometime play 4 with spinners.... on a pitch that would start taking spin after one hour on the first day of the test match.

salim malik...
it is said that on "famous" tour, warne cudn't beat him once.

Brian Charles Lara.

One of the finest players of spin in the game. The man was absolutely lethal against any spin bowler that came in front of him. I suppose the best part about his batting against the spinners was his aggressive intent. He wouldn't wait around and defend them - just smash them to bits for even bothering to bowl at him.

Code:
Lara against pace & spin in Tests since Nov 2001
        Runs	Balls Dismissals  Average   Runs per over
Pace	3144	5377	61	   51.54	 3.50
Spin	2276	3510	28	   81.29	 3.89

The stats above illustrate what a dominant presence this man was against the spinners. An obscene average of above 80 is symbolic of what talent this man possessed. Didn't have that shabby of an average against the pacers either from the looks of things. :))

Compounded by the fact that he faced the greatest spinners we have ever seen in the game near thier peak. Warne, Murali, Saqlain.....

Who was the best player of spin bowling ever that you saw

for me its Shoib Malik.:akhtar

let's see what others think?

You clearly havent watched much cricket, maybe about 1 match?

:)))

Afridi almost as good as Sehwag among modern day spin butchers?

I remember his manhandling of Murali as well. Kumble and Bhaj as well apart from him. Then that Lankan dude who got hit for 30 in an over.

Afridi vs Warne? How was it like, i dnt quite remember apart from the IPL sledging in which roles were reversed though with Afridi bowling and Blondie batting.

Younis is amazing against spin, has the best sweep shot for sure, but amongst contemporary batsman, it is Sangakkara for me. Masterclass.

If we go back a bit, then Tendulkar, Lara, Sidhu, Azharuddin and Saleem Malik stand out.

It depends on whether you are looking for a defensive player of spinners or an attacking player. The best attackers of good spin in tests are Lara, Sehwag, Gooch, Richards, Azhar, Saleem Malik, Sidhu and Gilchrist. The best defensive players include Miandad, Dravid, Thorpe, YK, Misbah, Allan Border and Aravinda. As a whole package, I would take Lara, Aravinda and Malik.

Thought Sangakkara explained the art of playing spin bowling superbly on Sky the other day. He's right up there, along with likes of Saleem Malik, Sachin Tendulkar, I think I also remember Damien Martyn during a tour of Sri Lanka fared brilliantly against the likes of Murali, but at the top - Brian Lara.

Last edited:
Brian Lara.

The best spinners in history were playing during his time, and he dominated both of them. SRT was even better against Warne, but struggled a bit against Murali during the later phase of his career. SRT played Saqlain better than Lara though.

Still, Lara for me.

Sehwag played a special knock in Lanka in the 2008 3 test series (Avg 68 and SR 92) when Mendis and Murali were running through the Indian side on turning tracks.
He looked a class apart from the others (dravid , Sachin (avg:15) , laxman ,ganguly ).

I rate Sehwag as a much better player of spin than sachin .

Last edited:
Who was the best player of the spin bowling ever?

Lara wins by no contest! Absolutely slaughtered the best warne murali etc
That too in tests!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to throw a few other names into the hat - Mark Waugh and Carl Hooper were fine attacking players of spin.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Who was the best player of spin bowling ever that you saw

for me its Shoib Malik.:akhtar

let's see what others think?
From the current lot i think sangakara and to some extent clarke.

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Younis is amazing against spin, has the best sweep shot for sure, but amongst contemporary batsman, it is Sangakkara for me. Masterclass.

If we go back a bit, then Tendulkar, Lara, Sidhu, Azharuddin and Saleem Malik stand out.

Sangakkara was awesome, but he had his problems against conventional offies. He handled doosra bowlers wonderfully because of his experience of watching Murali out of the hand when he kept.

But when it came to facing orthodox off break bowlers like Ashwin and Swann, he had problems because of their use of drift and loop.He played Harbhajan pretty poorly as well.

Imo, the greatest vs spin from the last 20 years are Lara, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Sidhu, Younis, Andy Flower, VVS Laxman, Chanderpaul, Sangakkara, Damien Martyn.

Sangakkara was awesome, but he had his problems against conventional offies. He handled doosra bowlers wonderfully because of his experience of watching Murali out of the hand when he kept.

But when it came to facing orthodox off break bowlers like Ashwin and Swann, he had problems because of their use of drift and loop.He played Harbhajan pretty poorly as well.

Imo, the greatest vs spin from the last 20 years are Lara, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Sidhu, Younis, Andy Flower, VVS Laxman, Chanderpaul, Sangakkara, Damien Martyn.

Keen observation. Impressive.

Sehwag.

He actually averages 64 runs per dismissal by a spin bowler. The likes of Tendulkar & Lara average around 50.

Lara was the greatest batsman against spin that I ever watched. He would destroy them.

Recently, Sangakarra was the best player of spin. The way he handled Ajmal in his prime chucking was brilliant.

Sachin, the taming of Saqlain in Ahmedabad in 1999.
Sachin taming Warne all his career
Sachin making Murli look human.

I dont think any batsmen has played 3 spinners of this repertoire in their career and has been as successful against them.

Perhaps the only time you made sense.

Have I said anything offensive to you personally? Who are you BTW? Its a friendly discussion and your just attacking me for no reason by being disrespectful. Just because I dont approve that your bowling attack isnt world class everything I say doesnt make sense to you?

I right now am using words for you that i cannot write here because i will get banned. Get the message and dont P*SS me off anymore!

Sehwag and Sidhu....these guys beleiver a spinner is only exists to be smacked around....never seen players treat a spinner with so much disdain.

Sachin, the taming of Saqlain in Ahmedabad in 1999.
Sachin taming Warne all his career
Sachin making Murli look human.

I dont think any batsmen has played 3 spinners of this repertoire in their career and has been as successful against them.

Sachin against Saqi in Chennai, Murali and Mendis on that tour of SL? He did own Warne always though.

Younis Khan was good against spin because he had the simple answer of a perfected sweep shot against it. Sehwag used to really go after any spinner and play with the spin

Of all the players I have seen batting against spin:

Lara>Laxman>Sachin>Andy Flower>Sidhu>Dravid>Ganguly

Sehwag IMO. Lara was better against the best -Warne/Murali but did have some issues against Saqi/Kumble. Sehwag on the other hand murdered all the spinners who were unfortunate enough to bowl to him

Sehwag, Lara and Sachin probably the best players of spin I've seen. Can remember them doing very well against quality spin on turners.

Sehwag in Asia was an absolute beast. A one man wrecking ball.

Look at the SR unbelievable. His record against Oz and Eng is a bit of a surprise tho.

dfad90ef43.png

Sehwag by far.

Two of his knocks that stick out for me. One against Murali and Mendis in Sri Lanka back in 2008 when Mendis was a mysterious beast on a rank turner at Galle. Sehwag hit double hundred. India got all out for 300.

Second one against, Shane Warne in 2004-05 in India. Sehwag hit 150+, India got all our for 370-80 i think.

Apart from that of course he had the wood over literally sll top spinners of his time. Abslutely destroyed them.

Back