Will anyone ever catch Sachin Tendulkar?

Hooked _for_6

Debutant
Runs
4000 more runs than Jayasuriya and almost 7000 more runs than anyone else in ODI. As well as 17 more Centuries more than Ponting in that format. All this while scoring twice as many scores in the 90s as anyone else.

In Test he is already the first to reach 13000 no else has crossed 12000. 5 more centuries than Ponting. And unlike Ponting, Tendulkar's average is going up!

If he didn't have that lean patch from 2004-2008 because of his elbow surgery I think he would have got as many runs in Tests as ODI.

Now that India has decided to play Tests again, I don't seen anyone catching Tendulkar in my lifetime.

For a little guy, he stands head and shoulders above anyone else.

Last edited:
Depends on if the world ends in 2012, if it doesn't always possible for a new phenom to emerge and break his record.

Last edited:
Any decent fielder can catch tendulkar's shots ........ ;-)

Cliche : Records are meant to be broken

Graeme Smith is at the same stage (runs) Tendulkar was at age 27.Of course , he has to keep up this brilliant run for another 8 yrs which is not easy

You never know.

The person who will go on to break his record might not even be born yet. These sorts of records can always go on to be broken.

My money is on Pieterson cuz UK play 12 tests atleast every year. He already have 16 100s.

itduzz said:
My money is on Pieterson cuz UK play 12 tests atleast every year. He already have 16 100s.

In tests I agree although he's behind Smith.

If it's not Pieterson or Smith.. it will be another player from the three nations that play an excessive amount of tests.

England/Australia will probably produce the next highest run getter.

Its almost 7 years when SRT passed his best. Since, he has been shadow of his past.
Any decent batsman can reach these milestone (i don't consider these records), given equal oppertunities. Could it be Ponting/Sanga/Smith etc. etc.

Reaching 5000/10000 is a milestone, while reaching 5000/10000 in least number of innings is a record.

Will anyone catch Tendulkar's milestone 0 WC victories achievement?

That is the question. The whole of the S.A. team comes second on chokability, but it would be tough to match him.

And before an Indian poster comes in , yes it's everyone else's fault, especially the bowlers, that Tendulkar cannot take India home.

mindless slogging said:

That is the question. The whole of the S.A. team comes second on chokability, but it would be tough to match him.

And before an Indian poster comes in , yes it's everyone else's fault, especially the bowlers, that Tendulkar cannot take India home.

Part of your name suits you

Anwaar said:
Its almost 7 years when SRT passed his best. Since, he has been shadow of his past.
Any decent batsman can reach these milestone (i don't consider these records), given equal oppertunities. Could it be Ponting/Sanga/Smith etc. etc.

Reaching 5000/10000 is a milestone, while reaching 5000/10000 in least number of innings is a record.

Tendulkar is the fastest guy to get to 10 000 runs. 195 Innings. Exactly the same number as Lara. Also the fasted modern player to get to 7000 and 8000 runs.

You seriously don't regard getting the highest number of runs and centuries any achievement? You think any decent batsman can do it given the opportunities. Well then my money is on Salmon Butt! :))) :))) :)))

Last edited:
Equal opportunities as in number of matches ? Get picked at the age of 16 !

Well it will be nearly impossible to catch him in ODI's. It seems like the future of cricket will be more of T20 style, so ODI's might just die out in future or teams will be playing very less of it, and so that will leave Tendulkar at the top.

Not if Pakistan are playing :p

Sorry ... couldn't resist.

Foozee said:
Baber Azam

So far I bet on Smith and Pieterson....

may be someone like Babar emerges, who knows he might take away with all the records....but, it's very unlikely as also not sure about the future of test cricket...and looking the fact is, India and Pakistan plays less no. of tests compared to Aus/Eng/SA...and that's gthe era of T20

however, breaking the tests is not impossible...but for ODIs, it seems to be set parmanently for ever..

In ODIs, I can bet no one will come close to Sachin's record.
But in test, his record is already vulnerable from Ponting and in the future from Smith, ABDevillers etc.

Will Tendu ever lead India to World Cup win or a series win in Australia or South Africa...

In my book playing a crucial role in helping india become number one in tests and leading india to 3 test series wins vs the aussies is way more important than the world cup. you might as well moan that he never won the T20 world cup or the IPL. :afridi :yk

ace58 said:
In my book playing a crucial role in helping india become number one in tests and leading india to 3 test series wins vs the aussies is way more important than the world cup. you might as well moan that he never won the T20 world cup or the IPL. :afridi :yk
3 Test series victories against the Aussies, 1 drawn series in Australia. That's amazing. India will get a chance to win a Test series in South Africa later this year. Also, there are talks about a Test series being scheduled mid year in Sri Lanka.

Last edited:
Bublu Bhuyan said:
3 Test series victories against the Aussies, 1 drawn series in Australia. That's amazing.

What happened in 2000 when Aussies had their full bowling strength for a change...

Cheguvera said:
What happened in 2000 when Aussies had their full bowling strength for a change...
Not 2000, but 1999. But what happened in 2001 when the Aussies were at their full strength and at the height of their dominance, having created a world record of winning about 16 consecutive Test matches in a row ?

As for the 1999 Test series, he won the MOS award. He did his part. What else could he do alone ? Score 500-600 runs per innings alone and take the 20 opposition wickets as well ?

Last edited:
Bublu Bhuyan said:
Not 2000, but 1999. But what happened in 2001 when the Aussies were at their full strength and at the height of their dominance, having created a world record of winning about 16 consecutive Test matches in a row ?

As for the 1999 Test series, he won the MOS award. He did his part. What else could he do alone ? Score 500-600 runs per innings alone and take the 20 opposition wickets as well ?

Very typical of Tendu in 1999...he got his awards/stats and team lost 3-0...Don't you think a certain supposed greatest batsman in history of the game could have prevented his team from losing at least one of those test by the sheer power of his batting...a la Sobers in England in 71...

In 2001, when India did win and full credit to them...but what did tendu do...jack..messers Laxman and Dravid would be deeply hurt to know that tendu is getting credit for their hard work...

Last edited:
Bublu Bhuyan said:
3 Test series victories against the Aussies, 1 drawn series in Australia. That's amazing. India will get a chance to win a test series in South Africa later this year.

Of that 18 years of dominance only india england sri lanka and south africa won series against them (south africa beating them at home officaliy ending their dominance.) and of those teams only india won more than 1 series against them with 4 and tendulkar is probably the best players throughout those encounters. And people still say tendulkar never won anything? only people that don't know much about cricket would say that because he helped india hold its own against one of the greatests teams of all time and if you go by stats india actually got the better of them.

Expect taking into consideration one test series was 1 of and in india still huge considering its vs one of the best teams of all time.

Cheguvera said:
Very typical of Tendu in 1999...he got his awards/stats and team lost 3-0...
What could he do ? Please reply. The second highest scorer from India averaged less than 20 with the bat in that series. So the question is apart from doing his part (batting well), what was he supposed to do ? Please don't avoid the question, reply it.

Cheguvera said:
In 2001, when India did win and full credit to them...but what did tendu do...jack..messers Laxman and Dravid would be deeply hurt to know that tendu is getting credit for their hard work...
He averaged 50 with the bat in that series. We won the 3rd and final Test, thanks to his century. That was against McGrath, Gillespie and Warne in full flow.

Last edited:
ace58 said:
Of that 18 years of dominance only india england sri lanka and south africa won series against them (south africa beating them at home officaliy ending their dominance.) and of those teams only india won more than 1 series against them with 4 and tendulkar is probably the best players throughout those encounters. And people still say tendulkar never won anything? only people that don't know much about cricket would say that because he helped india hold its own against one of the greatests teams of all time and if you go by stats india actually got the better of them.

Expect taking into consideration one test series was 1 of and in india still huge considering its vs one of the best teams of all time.

Was he the best in 2001 and 2004...Dravid, Laxman and even Ganguly would disagree with that assertion...

Last edited:
Cheguvera said:
Very typical of Tendu in 1999...he got his awards/stats and team lost 3-0...

What are u talking about his century in the last test won india the series and his 3 wicket in the final session won us the 2nd test match in eden gardens! consistantly throughout indias encounters with australia tendulkar has been the best players.

Last edited:
ace58 said:
What are u talking about his century in the last test won india the series and his 3 wicket in the final session won us the 2nd test match in eden gardens! consistantly throughout indias encounters with australia tendulkar has been the best players.

What about Dravid and Laxman who got India the impossible victory in the second test...I would think their contribution was much greater in the series win, then tendu's third test century when the aussies were already on the back foot, under tremendous pressure, and under the spell of a certain Harbajhan Singh...

Cheguvera said:
What about Dravid and Laxman who got India the impossible victory in the second test...I would think their contribution was much greater in the series win, then tendu's third test century when the aussies were already on the back foot, under tremendous pressure, and under the spell of a certain Harbajhan Singh...
Back foot ? The series was 1-1 at that point. We fans were hoping the 3rd Test would be a draw. Nobody was even thinking of a win.

Cheguvera said:

Im not saying he won things single handily Im just countering this notion that tendulkar never won anything, Those test victories vs the aussies where huge considering they where considered to be one of the greatest teams of all time. And if factor in the performances of all the indian players tendulkar contributed the most.

Some of our fans unfairly hate Sachin Tendulkar on pure bias and then we wonder why those IPL owners are not picking our players and we even accuse them of racism. :))

I am not saying Sachin is the greatest player of all time. Although some of you guys downplay his stats and make him seem like a tail ender.

kingusama92 said:
Some of our fans unfairly hate Sachin Tendulkar on pure bias and then we wonder why those IPL owners are not picking our players and we even accuse them of racism. :))

I am not saying Sachin is the greatest player of all time. Although some of you guys downplay his stats and make him seem like a tail ender.

What about the opposite end of the spectrum where he is made out to be the greatest batsman of all time...when at least half a dozen in the history of the game are ahead of him, hands down...

The same bias also deems Kapil Dev to be the greatest allrounder in the 80s as well...

kingusama92 said:

Good point.

Cheguvera said:
What about the opposite end of the spectrum where he is made out to be the greatest batsman of all time...when at least half a dozen in the history of the game are ahead of him, hands down...

The same bias also deems Kapil Dev to be the greatest allrounder in the 80s as well...

Which is why in my post I stated.. "I am not saying Sachin is the greatest player of all time" because this is just as wrong as putting him down.

Sachin is a great batsman. Perhaps an above average great with tremendous consistency levels. He's not the greatest. He's not garbage either as some suggest.

I am sure we all would have loved having a batsman like Sachin in the team right now.

Cheguvera said:

Kapil Dev never got international recognization of being the greatest all rounder of his time. Maybe his fans thought so, but the cricket fraternity didn't.

Tendulkar on the other hand has been showered as being one of the greatest batsman by every nook and corner of the cricket fraternity. Shane Warne who himself finds a spot in the top 5 greatest cricketers ever has rated him countless times as the best batsman he has ever bowled to. He once said, "Sachin is the best batsman of my time without doubt, daylight second, Lara third". Cricket bible WISDEN rated him the 2nd greatest ever in both Tests and ODI's. Donald Bradman included him in his dream team ahead of Viv Richards. Allan Donald considers him to be the best batsman he ever bowled to. Those are not recognisations by Indian fans, and those recognisations don't come for nothing.

As for me personally, I'd rate at least 2 batsman since 1950 ahead of him -

1. Gary Sobers

2. Viv Richards

On all time scale, Bradman would certainly join the above two guys as being better than him. Apart from them, Walter Hammond, Jack Hobbs and Leonard Hutton can give him a run for his money.

Last edited:
Cheguvera said:

"Jessie! Jessie! Come here," Don Bradman once called to his wife while watching television.
"Look! There! The batsman on the television. Don't you think he reminds you of me?"

Now this certain Don Bradman may not be as good as Inzi, Imran Khan and Afridi for you. But many crazy ppl including me consider him the greatest batsman ever. So I would go by his opinion rather that ppl who can only hit keyboard and are self-declared cricket experts.

If Shane Warne is by any standards one of the greatest spinners of the ball then the person who gives him nightmares could be nothing less than greatest of his times.

mindless slogging said:

ultimately thats what matters mate! not personal records...
I fully agree with you mate.. He deserves 0 WC no doubt

Hail-Akram said:
Don't be surprised if some self-proclaimed experts on PP claim that sir Don was paid by BCCI to make such a statement ...

If this was on time-pass thread, you would also see how this is a CIA-MOSSAD-RAW-Afghanistan-MI6 conspiracy
:)) An envious mind knows no bounds.

Easy to sum up sachins career...

in the hyd odi against Aus last year.... he made 175 and boosted his personal records but ultimately he did not take india home and india lost.....

he is made for induvidual records but he can never take india to the ultimate glory!

I really think Ponting will catch Sachin, in test matches. All he needs is a good ashes and he will go past him in the 100's. Ponting was scoring tons like a maniac till about 2 yrs ago when his form dipped. I think he might regain that form for the ashes coming up.

siimo said:
I really think Ponting will catch Sachin, in test matches. All he needs is a good ashes and he will go past him in the 100's. Ponting was scoring tons like a maniac till about 2 yrs ago when his form dipped. I think he might regain that form for the ashes coming up.

inshallah it happens

abdul2009 said:
Easy to sum up sachins career...

in the hyd odi against Aus last year.... he made 175 and boosted his personal records but ultimately he did not take india home and india lost.....

he is made for induvidual records but he can never take india to the ultimate glory!

We getting big hundreds is certainly something Mohammad Yousef has bothered with. He just stuck to losing. Keep it simple :))) :))) :)))

Hail-Akram said:
"Jessie! Jessie! Come here," Don Bradman once called to his wife while watching television.
"Look! There! The batsman on the television. Don't you think he reminds you of me?"

Now this certain Don Bradman may not be as good as Inzi, Imran Khan and Afridi for you. But many crazy ppl including me consider him the greatest batsman ever. So I would go by his opinion rather that ppl who can only hit keyboard and are self-declared cricket experts.

If Shane Warne is by any standards one of the greatest spinners of the ball then the person who gives him nightmares could be nothing less than greatest of his times.

So Bradman thought Tendu was his equal perhaps even greater then him...

Secondly what proof do you have that Bradman wasn't referring to the physical resemblance between the two...i.e. both being vertically challenged or similarity in stance or style, not how good a batsman sachin was...

If anything he would have said something more explicit as he did when describing Sobers and Pollock, i.e. two of the best left handers he had seen played...I'd reckon he would have said some along the same lines about tendu, but bradman didn't...so most likely he was referring to the physical/style resemblance...

I could care less what Warne said, he also thought of Brett Lee to be a greater player then Waqar...so just like all players are entitled to their opinion and most happen to be biased...they are not entitled to their facts...

And no Lara was the greatest of his generation and that too despite not trying hard enough or being overly obsessive with his average...he dominated all types of bowling in all conditions and against extreme odds without having the luxury of BCCI custom ordering batting tracks around the world for their fragile and sensitive batting stars...

Last edited:
Cheguvera said:

Secondly what proof do you have that Bradman wasn't referring to the physical resemblance between the two...i.e. both being vertically challenged or similarity in stance or style, not how good a batsman sachin was...

If anything he would have said something more explicit as he did when describing Sobers and Pollock, i.e. two of the best left handers he had seen played...I'd reckon he would have said some along the same lines about tendu, but bradman didn't...so most likely he was referring to the physical/style resemblance...

I could care less what Warne said, he also thought of Brett Lee to be a greater player then Waqar...so just like all players are entitled to their opinion and most happen to be biased...they are not entitled to their facts...

And no Lara was the greatest of his generation and that too despite not trying hard enough or being overly obsessive with his average...he dominated all types of bowling in all conditions and against extreme odds without having the luxury of BCCI custom ordering batting tracks around the world for their fragile and sensitive batting stars...

Are these the same tracks lara averages 33 on and ponting a mere 20?

Tendulkar is a useless run-machine... His knocks inevitably spell doom for India

Ponting is world class run maker with knocks that inevitably make your team win...

Lara ... was the genius.. i might be a bit biased... But i rate Lara as one of the best batsmen their ever was....

For me its Bradman, Viv and Lara... They are the game stoppers for the World....
Tendulkar is just a game stopper for India and Indian people ...

Dr_Bassim said:
Tendulkar is a useless run-machine... His knocks inevitably spell doom for India

Ponting is world class run maker with knocks that inevitably make your team win...

Lara ... was the genius.. i might be a bit biased... But i rate Lara as one of the best batsmen their ever was....

For me its Bradman, Viv and Lara... They are the game stoppers for the World....
Tendulkar is just a game stopper for India and Indian people ...

its funny that even ponting and lara have said that tendulkar is better them, but I guess some random guy sitting behind a computer with Dr. as their user name probably knows more about cricket than them.

ace58 said:
its funny that even ponting and lara have said that tendulkar is better them, but I guess some random guy sitting behind a computer with Dr. as their user name probably knows more about cricket than them.

whome you are trying to argue...don't u know, they are Pakiantani fans...they can never ever appreciate Indian talent, that's known fact... :)

lol why would you get irritated... i said he is a run-machine.. didnt i ? i didnt even say he scores his runs against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe... i give him credit for scoring....

But yeah ... i suppose not everyone can be like Virender Sehwag and downgrade the opposition.. by saying they are not Good enough....

What is Ponting supposed to say ? That i am better than Tendulkar?
What is Lara supposed to say ? That i am better than Tendulkar?

Have you ever heard of humility ? Things that dont exist in your part of the world doesnt necessarily mean they dont have any existence ...

And btw.. its not my opinion because i am a doctor... thats being a bit biased to doctors :p
Thats the opinion of loads of other people too...
Indian fans dont count in my opinion .. cause they consider him demi-God..
Its for us who consider him a mortal , that really tell you how good he is.. and what he is NOT... Cheers ;-)

onlycricket said:
whome you are trying to argue...don't u know, they are Pakiantani fans...they can never ever appreciate Indian talent, that's known fact... :)

Virender Sehwag is totally destructive opener who is one of my favorites....
Dont be so narrow minded..
I would take Sehwag over any other opener anyday...

Dr_Bassim said:
lol why would you get irritated... i said he is a run-machine.. didnt i ? i didnt even say he scores his runs against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe... i give him credit for scoring....

But yeah ... i suppose not everyone can be like Virender Sehwag and downgrade the opposition.. by saying they are not Good enough....

Have you ever heard of humility ? Things that dont exist in your part of the world doesnt necessarily mean they dont have any existence ...

And btw.. its not my opinion because i am a doctor... thats being a bit biased to doctors :p
Its for us who consider him a mortal , that really tell you how good he is.. and what he is NOT... Cheers ;-)

Not really, alot of his fans may see him a demi god in a somewhat joking manner. their are alot of people in india that are irrational and give him unfair treatment of their overly big expectations of him but thats a seperate issue .

if you take a away indian fans and indian in general most people speak very highly of him. Viv richards to don bradman steve waugh, glenn mgrath to donald. their was a poll conducted amongst Australian first class players during tendulkars and lara peak over who was the better batsman and they voted for tendulkar by a landslide. Its not only indians that consider tendulkar easily one of the greats of all time unfortunately some pakistani brothers have a problem with this.

Dr_Bassim said:

I dont know how qualified you are or whether you are just another self-proclaimed expert on cricket. But I definitely consider Sir Don Bradman has more knowledge and definitely prefer to go by his comments rather than you or your "loads of other people" whoever they are.
So herez the link for you again:
http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/96323.html

Again I respect your opinion and also "loads of people" who are as knowledgable as you are. But then I prefer to go by Sir Don Bradman's opinion, even if this name may or may not sound familiar to you.

Hail-Akram said:
I dont know how qualified you are or whether you are just another self-proclaimed expert on cricket. But I definitely consider Sir Don Bradman has more knowledge and definitely prefer to go by his comments rather than you or your "loads of other people" whoever they are.
So herez the link for you again:
http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/96323.html

Again I respect your opinion and also "loads of people" who are as knowledgable as you are. But then I prefer to go by Sir Don Bradman's opinion, even if this name may or may not sound familiar to you.

Lol Indian fans are a little antsy at my comments..
Since you are asking me to look up the name of Donald Bradman... Let me give you some advice...
You know what an opinion is? Go look up the word in the dictionary and come back and then we can discuss this matter amicably...
Opinions are not facts... They are just how a person thinks... So do you think Gilchrist is better than Sehwag or not ? I might say NO ... but thats my opinion ... and you might say Yes... and thats your opinion... Does that make Gilchrist better than Sehwag ? NOT UNTIL its a FACT .. go prove you arguments elsewhere.. You arent winning me over with Don Brad and his opinions.. he may be a cricket legend .. but his opinions are liable to be influenced just by his personal bias.. as mine are...
Why .. Cuz we are humans.. mortals.. not demigods like Sachin :26:

Dr_Bassim said:
Since you are asking me to look up the name of Donald Bradman... Let me give you some advice...
You know what an opinion is? Go look up the word in the dictionary and come back and then we can discuss this matter amicably...
Opinions are not facts... They are just how a person thinks... So do you think Gilchrist is better than Sehwag or not ? I might say NO ... but thats my opinion ... and you might say Yes... and thats your opinion... Does that make Gilchrist better than Sehwag ? NOT UNTIL its a FACT .. go prove you arguments elsewhere.. You arent winning me over with Don Brad and his opinions.. he may be a cricket legend .. but his opinions are liable to be influenced just by his personal bias.. as mine are...

Well, I wish, if never get a chance to make any of pak player as demigod, because it's already copyright to India :)

Dr_Bassim said:

Yes, Let me give one example of facts vs. opinion.

Runs Scored, Matches played, 100s, 50s scored by Sachin: A fact.

Following will qualify as opinions:
- If Cricket is religion then Sachin is God
- Sachin plays for records - he doesn't win matches for India
- Sachin is #1 batsman cricket has ever seen
- Ponting and Lara are way better than Sachin

So opinions may go both ways, but opinion of an expert is more respected than a opinion of 1000s of keyboard-tigers. Thats what I am saying. So for me opinion of Don Bradman counts, opinion of Dr.s doesn't!

Isn't that simple ?

Cheguvera said:
Takes one midget to know the other...for all we know he may have been referring to the physical resemblance...
:)) So when you couldn't debate with proper arguments you instead started making fun of his physical appearance. Extremely matured post. And I was thinking that I'm debating with a sensible and grown up man.

Hail-Akram said:
Yes, Let me give one example of facts vs. opinion.

Runs Scored, Matches played, 100s, 50s scored by Sachin: A fact.

Following will qualify as opinions:
- If Cricket is religion then Sachin is God
- Sachin plays for records - he doesn't win matches for India
- Sachin is #1 batsman cricket has ever seen
- Ponting and Lara are way better than Sachin

So opinions may go both ways, but opinion of an expert is more respected than a opinion of 1000s of keyboard-tigers. Thats what I am saying. So for me opinion of Don Bradman counts, opinion of Dr.s doesn't!

Isn't that simple ?

Yes its so simple... and i dont see why you would get a little inflamed.. if i happen to think that Tendulkar is not better than Lara...
You clearly said , for you the opinion of Bradman matters more than Doctors... so why are you getting antsy for me posting my opinions....
Follow the principle.. and ignore my posts that seem to you asinine, immature, childish or anti-Tendulkar...

No reason to convince me otherwise.... I highly respect your opinion too...

Funny how CMJ was blasted left right and center on PP when he rated McGrath much ahead of Akram in his list of top 100 cricketers when -

1. McGrath took more wickets than Akram.

2. McGrath has a far superior average.

3. McGrath has a far superior strike rate.

In this case excuses immediately starts popping in on how he played in a weak team, how he had no support, how he had to bowl on dead pitches, etc.

Bottom line, McGrath took more wickets at a better average and a better strike rate. McGrath >>>> Akram.

How many Pak fans have the galls the accept it ?

Dr_Bassim said:
Yes its so simple... and i dont see why you would get a little inflamed.. if i happen to think that Tendulkar is not better than Lara...
You clearly said , for you the opinion of Bradman matters more than Doctors... so why are you getting antsy for me posting my opinions....
Follow the principle.. and ignore my posts that seem to you asinine, immature, childish or anti-Tendulkar...

No reason to convince me otherwise.... I highly respect your opinion too...

Not imposing my opinion on you ...
Just saying that my opinion is more likely to be shared by cricket experts and hence closer to facts ;-)

Cheguvera said:

Similarly, you are entitled to your opinion, it does not become a fact. As for bias, do you think being a Pakistani you could pick an Indian player over a West Indian ? It would be more like against the law of nature. Your opinion has 10 times more bias than those players (if they have any), specially when picking one between an Indian player and a player from another nation. And most importantly, their opinions have 100 times more credibility than yours.

Last edited:
Bublu Bhuyan said:
Funny how CMJ was blasted left right and center on PP when he rated McGrath much ahead of Akram in his list of top 100 cricketers when -

1. McGrath took more wickets than Akram.

2. McGrath has a far superior average.

3. McGrath has a far superior strike rate.

In this case excuses immediately starts popping in on how he played in a weak team, how he had no support, how he had to bowl on dead pitches, etc.

Bottom line, McGrath took more wickets at a better average and a better strike rate. McGrath >>>> Akram.

How many Pak fans have the galls the accept it ?
In tests ... Glenn Mcgrath was much better.. than Wasim Akram...

In Odi , no one is even close to him dude...
He and Waqar were miles ahead of mcgrath in ODI's...
In Odi's he was the BEST there was, the BEST there is.. and i dont think there will be ever anyone better than Wasim Akram... in fast bowling in ODI's...

Dr_Bassim said:
In tests ... Glenn Mcgrath was much better.. than Wasim Akram...

In Odi , no one is even close to him dude...
He and Waqar were miles ahead of mcgrath in ODI's...
In Odi's he was the BEST there was, the BEST there is.. and i dont think there will be ever anyone better than Wasim Akram... in fast bowling in ODI's...
Jeff Thomson, the fiery Australian fast bowler of his time once said,
"Brett Lee's bowled well in one-day games against a team of no-hopers. One-day cricket is a joke. Kasper [Michael Kasprowicz] has done the hard yards, done nothing wrong and bowled his **** off. An idiot can get wickets in one-day cricket. Lee got dropped because he doesn't do the job in Test cricket. He has done nothing else but take one-day wickets. Why should he get picked again? If Brad Hogg, Andrew Symonds and Darren Lehmann take wickets in one-day cricket then what does that tell you about bowling in one-day cricket?".

Do I need to say anything more about how valuable bowling stats in ODI cricket are ? In fact Ajit Agarkar has taken close to 300 ODI wickets at an average of about 28. Tendulkar has taken more than 150 ODI wickets, and Ganguly has taken more than 100 ODI wickets. Oh BTW, Jayasuriya has taken more than 300 ODI wickets. Brett Lee who has a Test bowling average of more than 30, averages around 23 in ODI cricket.

Test cricket holds all credibility as far as the bowling department goes. BTW, Curtley Ambrose has even better bowling average than McGrath and a better SR than Akram, and has taken just about 10 Test wickets less than Akram.

Ambrose, McGrath >>>> Akram, Waqar

Last edited:
Lol... if you are trying to incite me.. it wont work...
For one , i can come up with the lame reply that no matter what Akram did, his wickets inevitably made us win ...
Not like Tendulkar's centuries... in which the team loses.. but he still gets orgasmic appreciation ...

But to be honest.. Wasim Akram got 400 odd wickets in test... that wasnt all fluke too right ? He was a brilliant test bowler .. maybe not better than Mcgrath as Mcgrath had the most wickets ever by a fast bowler.... even curtly didnt have as many wickets...
so i wud still rate Curtly << Mcgrath ...

Dr_Bassim said:
Lol... if you are trying to incite me.. it wont work...
For one , i can come up with the lame reply that no matter what Akram did, his wickets inevitably made us win ...
Not like Tendulkar's centuries... in which the team loses.. but he still gets orgasmic appreciation ...

But to be honest.. Wasim Akram got 400 odd wickets in test... that wasnt all fluke too right ? He was a brilliant test bowler .. maybe not better than Mcgrath as Mcgrath had the most wickets ever by a fast bowler.... even curtly didnt have as many wickets...
so i wud still rate Curtly << Mcgrath ...
Too bad you are another one making smart comments without checking out facts. Next time please do so. 70% of Tendulkar's centuries in ODI cricket has resulted in wins. Check-Mate !!

Oh, and no matter how brilliant you think the Akram was, I think he was a worthless match fixer who sold out his country and someone who had to tamper with the ball to get his wickets, just like how you think Tendulkar to be a useless run scorer. I'm sure you have no problems with it ?

Ambrose just took 10 wickets less than Akram and that's because of the less number of matches/innings played by him. But he took wickets at a far superior average and a better strike rate than Akram.

BTW, Ambrose, McGrath >>>>>>>>> Akram, Waqar

Last edited:
Back