Would Pakistan have won the current series against New Zealand with Mohammed Asif?

chacha kashmiri

ODI Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Just a simple yes or no
No beating around the bush or past controversies please

No. The bowlers are doing well restricting the NZ batsmen. It's our batsmen that are the problem as they never score enough runs. We would have won the series with an Inzamam or even Yousaf in the middle order.

cant say.
but if we had a played a 3 day game and a 2 day game warmups we would have

I can't tell you about the result, but can tell you that with him NZ would've been bundled out for 100 to 150 in most innings.

with asif on the medics table? hes unfit isnt he, so probably not.

No. The bowlers are doing well restricting the NZ batsmen. It's our batsmen that are the problem as they never score enough runs. We would have won the series with an Inzamam or even Yousaf in the middle order.

Traditionally we've always won series based on our attacks than batting prowess
Inzimam for all his positives is mostly known for saving games not for batting opponents out of the game

No. Cricket is not a one man game, at least 4-5 players need to contribute in order to win a game. I remember people used to post similar messages when Aamir was banned, but what happened (since his comeback) we all know. Aamir is doing good as compared to other Pakistani bowlers but he is nowhere close to his best.

Aamir is much younger than Asif, I doubt if Asif can perform better than Aamir at this stage of his career.

Yes, he's the only right-armer who can stifle the opposition with his length and slowly strangle them.

NZ wouldn't have reached 150.

Nope

What failed us here were the batsmen not the bowlers.

You guys expect teams to get out under200 just because its a green wicket?

Let me remind you guys, scores of 400 have been made on the last pitch. Plus, these grounds are NZ's home grounds so how could you expect them to bottle for under200.

Our bowlers bowled well, our batsmen did nothing

Nope

Let me remind you guys, scores of 400 have been made on the last pitch. Plus, these grounds are NZ's home grounds so how could you expect them to bottle for under200.

I disagree
This is our best batting line up

Maybe another thread needs to be opened up on how we beat nz by ten wickets last time we were at hamilton

Nope

Look at what's happening now. Imran, Wahab and Sohail can't land two balls on the same length.

Even when the pitch browns, Asif is still hard to score off. This lot aren't.

I disagree
This is our best batting line up

Maybe another thread needs to be opened up on how we beat nz by ten wickets last time we were at hamilton

I agree this is OUR best batting line up, but not the worlds best batting line up. This batting line up has its difficulties on such pitches which everyone here accepts.

Thus, we failed here due to our batsmen. They should had got till 200 atleast once with ease.

Look at what's happening now. Imran, Wahab and Sohail can't land two balls on the same length.

Even when the pitch browns, Asif is still hard to score off. This lot aren't.

we need to stop assuming that if so and so had been playing we would had won.

Lets not forget, these same pacers got us wickets in the last 3 innings, the current innings is just a start, lets see how it goes.

I agree this is OUR best batting line up, but not the worlds best batting line up. This batting line up has its difficulties on such pitches which everyone here accepts.

Thus, we failed here due to our batsmen. They should had got till 200 atleast once with ease.

We can't improve our batting apart from
Dropping rizwan
Shot selection and application at the wicket is marginal

We can provide much better bowling than this imo and that's the only way I could have seen series have a different result in hindsight

We can't improve our batting apart from
Dropping rizwan
Shot selection and application at the wicket is marginal

We can provide much better bowling than this imo and that's the only way I could have seen series have a different result in hindsight

we shouldn't poke fingers into our bowling department just to make up for our batting department, this way we will end up ruining the bowling department aswell.

Yes, he's the only right-armer who can stifle the opposition with his length and slowly strangle them.

NZ wouldn't have reached 150.

Yes but what is his match fitness like? he has not bowled for WAPDA since the 29th of October

Yes but what is his match fitness like? he has not bowled for WAPDA since the 29th of October

He's a racehorse, not a carthorse.

He shouldn't have had to bowl 43 overs in a pointless domestic match.

Like the returning cheat Paulo Rossi in 1982, he should only have had to prove his skill and then been called up to tour NZ and put on an individualised fitness plan.

It's Pakistan's loss.

He's a racehorse, not a carthorse.

He shouldn't have had to bowl 43 overs in a pointless domestic match.

Like the returning cheat Paulo Rossi in 1982, he should only have had to prove his skill and then been called up to tour NZ and put on an individualised fitness plan.

It's Pakistan's loss.

If he breaks down then that skill is of no use, it's like having a ferrari with no engine or a WCC without a Bob, Lara, Heath and Ian!

I'd certainly be open to taking asif on, putting him on a fitness plan and using him in short effective bursts during Tests but you'd know that at the highest level that may not be enough to force a result and a captain does need more from a bowler.

I wonder if we could have ended the streak if Bond had been fit for the 2009 series..

Don't think he's the same. Heck even Amir after playing for a year still isn't the same.

So simple answer is no, but should've been tried in at least one test to see if he's still the same bowler.

No, as with scores of 133, 171 and 216 you are not going to win many, whoever the bowling consist's of.

Our batting has always been weak. It's the bowling that has traditionally won us matches. In this test our bowlers failed to contain NZ to under 200. Even tail enders were hitting them. It's embarrassing to watch.

Asif is a genius and would have done well on these awesome pitches, but not sure if he would have been able to play all the tests considering he is finding it hard to stay match fit lately.

Hope for WAPDA's and Pak's sake that he is match fit again as he used to be.

Asif in his prime? Perhaps.

Asif now? I doubt it considering 5 years of inactivity and age will have taken a toll on him. The fact he got injured in FC cricket says it all.

He needs a season in FC cricket.

Asif carrying an injury and without a test for 6.5 years would not have made a difference here.

No

Putting aside the fact that Asif of 2016 may not even be a shade of the bowler he was in 2010 (just look at Amir) - bowling isn't the issue.

NZ haven't score excessively in any innings and the bowlers have contained them pretty well.

The bottom line is, you can't expect to win Test matches if your batting is struggling to put 200 on the board

Series win - NO. At CChurch, PAK bowlers defended 133 & 105 - it would have been difficult even with full set (WW, Imran & Asif).

This Test, may be he would have been effective - with due respect, the way PAK bowled & fielded in 1st day was beyond pathetic. Provided that catches were taken, Asif of 2010 could have halved that Kiwi total; but not sure about 2nd innings - wicket has lost it's green colour & the sun is out.

Still 1-0 or 1-1 for the host; they won't have lost a series against team with 3 Test innings of 133, 173 & 216.

Traditionally we've always won series based on our attacks than batting prowess
Inzimam for all his positives is mostly known for saving games not for batting opponents out of the game

When we bat last it means chasing, something that we are incapable off. When batting first Inzi and/or Yousaf would have put at least 350 on the board for Pak.

The batting has been a major let down in all 3 inns of the series so far. No occupation of the crease, no intent to score runs! Its just been a directionless effort with the bat. Our bowlers have done pretty decent job and cant be blamed.

Not even Akram would change the outcome of this test or series.

Sick of people saying if player X, Y and Z were selected we would have won the series. The simple answer is no, the Pakistan unit collectively has been poor and no one player can change that.

Don't think he's the same. Heck even Amir after playing for a year still isn't the same.

So simple answer is no, but should've been tried in at least one test to see if he's still the same bowler.
International cricket isn't made for trails, that purpose is to be served in FC cricket or A-tours.

Probably. Too bad Pakistani selectors gifted the series to NZ.

Asif would have made a difference, no doubt . Would have got early wickets. But would require another bowler to support him.

I wonder if we could have ended the streak if Bond had been fit for the 2009 series..

If Bond was there, NZ would have done so much better against all opponents in every nation.

The world missed a GOAT.

---

On topic, probably not. You can't win with such shambolic batting performances but Asif would have made the series super close. And when I say Asif, I mean Asif of 5 years back. Don't know how the current Asif is.

Sohail khan is the second highest scorer for pakistan and asad is the third with 56 runs having 7 new zealand players higher than him and here they are talking about bowling :uakmal

Can't blame the bowlers for the first Test loss. But I would blame the management for not selecting Yasir Shah for the second Test, as he would controlled NZ big time in the 3rd innings. So, I don't think we would have won it, even if he was playing.

No. People should realize that he is finished. He will never be the same bowler he was. He's 33 and has been pretty mediocre in domestics

Back