‘No larger conspiracy behind Gujarat riots’: SC rejects Zakia Jafri plea against clean chit to Modi

Congress has tested everyone's patience and relied on the TINA factor. The need to be defeated. If BJP had chosen someone like Sushma Swaraj (old school) that would have been ideal given the choices we have. But Modi is like a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. Let's wait and watch if the leopard can change his spots or not.

@Sachin85 - Please read my other comments.

I did say most Hindus are voting for Modi for development and not because of its anti Muslim ideology.

That post you chose to reply to was in reference to Zanjeer and his kinda commenters. I did add a note at the bottom, didn't you see that?

Congress can KILL 1 million people. That is irrelevant. Modi was guilty morally and that was the point of my post.

Yes, people are voting for Modi cos they think he is the lesser of the 2 evils. Well some think he will weave his magic reg the development front (I don't know about its validity but just saying).

[Compiled Facts] Was Modi Guilty Or Not 2002 Gujarat Riots

All the inquiries were carried out by a govt. which is bitterly, opposed to Mr Modi

Could the Congress have fabricated evidence against Marendra Modi? Just curious, because from what I understand, the court couldn´t/didn´t give a verdict against him due to the lack of sufficient evidence.

Do you think Congress govt. will let go Mr Modi unpunished? They would love to put him behind the bars on slimmest evidence.

Can the courts in India be influenced by any other authority in their decision-making? Interesting. I am just curious.

Could the Congress have fabricated evidence against Marendra Modi? Just curious, because from what I understand, the court couldn´t/didn´t give a verdict against him due to the lack of sufficient evidence.

Can the courts in India be influenced by any other authority in their decision-making? Interesting. I am just curious.

:)))

Re: [Compiled Facts] Was Modi Guilty Or Not 2002 Gujarat Riots

The higher courts in India have been more or less impartial and away from any influence as their appointment cannot be affected by any govt. Or political authority.

Congress is known to be vindictive in past esp. The Gandhi family.I wont be surprised if they did try to fabricate evidence againist Modi.The portrayal of Modi as a communal figure has more to do with media than legal strictures.Uptil now no court or agency has found evidence againist Modi.There has been numerous riots in India since independence but no Leader has ever been demonised like Modi.Infact there have been more riots under non BJP govt. Then under BJP govt. In any state.

That was unintended man:facepalm:! Please be my lawyer in case I am dragged to the court for insulting him:msd.

The higher courts in India have been more or less impartial and away from any influence as their appointment cannot be affected by any govt. Or political authority.

Congress is known to be vindictive in past esp. The Gandhi family.I wont be surprised if they did try to fabricate evidence againist Modi.The portrayal of Modi as a communal figure has more to do with media than legal strictures.Uptil now no court or agency has found evidence againist Modi.There has been numerous riots in India since independence but no Leader has ever been demonised like Modi.Infact there have been more riots under non BJP govt. Then under BJP govt. In any state.

Thanks for your answer.

Re: [Compiled Facts] Was Modi Guilty Or Not 2002 Gujarat Riots

Not everyone voting for Modi is voting for him because they want to kill Muslims. Its ludicrous to even think so.

15% of Muslims in Gujarat vote for BJP. 8-10% in other states.

Are they all suicidal?

The public is pushed towards Modi because everybody is fed up with the Congress. They have been in power for 60 years and look at the state the country is in.

Thats exactly is the point.

@Sachin85 - Please read my other comments.

I did say most Hindus are voting for Modi for development and not because of its anti Muslim ideology.

That post you chose to reply to was in reference to Zanjeer and his kinda commenters. I did add a note at the bottom, didn't you see that?

Congress can KILL 1 million people. That is irrelevant. Modi was guilty morally and that was the point of my post.

Yes, people are voting for Modi cos they think he is the lesser of the 2 evils. Well some think he will weave his magic reg the development front (I don't know about its validity but just saying).

Sorry, my comment wasn't just a reply to your comment. A lot of people in this thread have tried to attribute his popularity to the Gujarat riots. Was just addressing that.

1 million children dying a year might be irrelevant to this thread but it is certainly relevant to this election.

Not everyone voting for Modi is voting for him because they want to kill Muslims. Its ludicrous to even think so.

15% of Muslims in Gujarat vote for BJP. 8-10% in other states.

Are they all suicidal?

The public is pushed towards Modi because everybody is fed up with the Congress. They have been in power for 60 years and look at the state the country is in.

15% isn't that many if you look at in context. Close to 1000 were butchered during the riots and many more fled the state so there's a few less votes for the other parties. Add to that there are reports that many Musims are voting for Modi out of fear of reprisals if they don't. I can't really say I blame them. If former MP's can get hacked to death for not being a Modi fan, then who can blame the ordinary citizen for choosing safety over preference?

15% isn't that many if you look at in context. Close to 1000 were butchered during the riots and many more fled the state so there's a few less votes for the other parties. Add to that there are reports that many Musims are voting for Modi out of fear of reprisals if they don't. I can't really say I blame them. If former MP's can get hacked to death for not being a Modi fan, then who can blame the ordinary citizen for choosing safety over preference?

OP is writing essays about Gujarat, without ever being there once.
I never been to Pakistan, can I write about it by just reading on internet?
Do you know how much filth is there on internet about Pakistan? Can I safely assume that all of Pakistan is full of terrorist training camps etc? After all biggest one of them was found in Pakistan.
I will not do that, not even after reading so much hatred flowing here in this forum towards India. And that my friends is called sensible poster.

ok so I am not that familiar with Indian politics but can indian posters here shed some light on why they hate congress so much and think BJP is going to be better (given their track record and ideology)?

People should see the development in Gujarat and don't talk about generic issues like human index and all.. because it has always been poor.

1. Agricultural growth
2. Electricity

Modi has done wonders in these two fields.

Who do you suggest we vote for? Beggars can't be choosers.

67 years after independence, 60 of those years under Congress rule, we have more than a million children dying every year just from diarrhea. http://www.unicef.org/india/health_491.htm

Should we vote for the same Congress again?

A million deaths a year just because of diarrhea. But nobody cares because it kills both Hindu children and Muslim children without discriminating.

The fact is that the corruption and incompetence of the Congress government has claimed more lives than communal violence ever will.

Does this mean what Modi did was ok? Of course not. He has the blood of thousands on his hands and nobody can vote for him with a clear conscience.

But what option do we have?

Please don't say AAP. Kejriwal himself has said there is no way they will get enough seats to form the government. In his hurry for power he threw away the opportunity he had in Delhi. 5 years of good governance by him in Delhi and I would have definitely voted for him next elections.

We do not have any options. He might be evil, but he is the lesser of the two evils.

I like the honesty in this post, especially seeing that there are no theories of defence presented for Narendra Modi. Straight to the point:19:!

Sorry, my comment wasn't just a reply to your comment. A lot of people in this thread have tried to attribute his popularity to the Gujarat riots. Was just addressing that.

1 million children dying a year might be irrelevant to this thread but it is certainly relevant to this election.

Hey just want to clarify my point.

I read your comment on a mobile and I didn't read it properly.

Now I did.

My "Congress can kill 1 million but doesn't make Modi any less guilty" was only about this thread. Not in general.

Overall, yes I do agree with you.

We have a mess in our hands and we can't afford to give Congress another chance.

So let's see what's in store for us.

I was talking to my Dad yesterday and he was explaining to me about the economic policies of the BJP government and Congress government.

To be honest, I am not really good at this but what he was saying was that PURELY on an economic policy point of view, what Congress did in 2004 WAS BETTER than BJP. The focus on integrated growth by working on rural sector was their mantra as opposed to BJP's "not so rural" centric approach. Integrated growth allows an economy to grow along with the masses. All the DMK held posts at that time were a total mess and coalition politics created a lot of problems. From 2009, even though Congress got more seats the things started to turn for the worse. Scams started coming out (with Cong justifying them). BJP used these scams to stall the parliamentary functions which led to complete breakdown of parliamentary functions.

I feel sad seeing the abuse Manmohan Singh gets in news sites. He was the one who changed the course of our country along with Narasimha Rao in 1991. On a purely intellectual level, Manmohan Singh would ABSOLUTELY destroy Modi but life is NOT about evaluating things in a ideal scenario. He is too powerless and he doesn't have the qualities that a political leader must have to negotiate with others. He would be great as an advisor who just has to do his job but not as one who has to deal with politics.

By the way, my Dad is pretty knowledgeable guy.

The BJP wanted him to part of their think tank (I don't know it was an important post or some inconsequential one) when he was heading a company in Delhi. My Dad declined. He knows about politicians, how they work, how they operate, etc. He calls them the SHREWDEST guys out there. Manipulative cheats but shrewd. Most of them.

I wish I could elaborate on what he said but since my understanding of economics is pretty bad, I can't elaborate. I guess I need to start paying more attention to economics on a closer level.

As for my Dad's views, he too thinks Congress would not be a good choice for the country (in the current state) but he isn't sure whether he wants BJP. He saw some hope in AAP (still sees) but feels AAP needs a strong leadership to stop all the current nonsense.

For me, I want a stable government in the centre with someone to keep a check on them (no I don't trust BJP too) but if its between third front nonsense Vs Modi, I would run towards Modi.

The country will be reduced to shambles if Mulayam, Mamta and co get support from Congress and one of them becomes PM. They have no national vision and will just end up doing something for their state while looting the nation.

Last edited:

This might be a factor but it definitely is not a major factor. We have a secret ballot. No way of knowing who voted for whom.

15% is a huge number when people are trying to say that the BJP is going to wipe out Muslims. The fact is that the Muslim population is doing better economically in Gujarat when compared to other Congress ruled states. This is a big factor for the Muslim youth who are looking for job opportunities.

I like the honesty in this post, especially seeing that there are no theories of defence presented for Narendra Modi. Straight to the point:19:!

Actually TBH,that is the feeling of most people voting for Modi.Fed up with Congress and the only feasible alternative is Modi.A rag tag coalition of regional satraps will be worse than Congress.

A million deaths a year just because of diarrhea. But nobody cares because it kills both Hindu children and Muslim children without discriminating.

The fact is that the corruption and incompetence of the Congress government has claimed more lives than communal violence ever will.

Can't believe death due to diseases (government negligence nonetheless) is being compared with death in riots and pogroms. The lengths these modi chelas will go to make their hero look better.

Can't believe death due to diseases (government negligence nonetheless) is being compared with death in riots and pogroms. The lengths these modi chelas will go to make their hero look better.

Tell us who is the best candidate for PM. One has to vote for somebody.. who should Indians vote for as their PM ? Who can take India forward ?

Last edited:
Tell us who is the best candidate for PM. One has to vote for somebody.. who should Indians vote for as their PM ?

Mr. Modi school of logic, vote for anyone whom you think is the best candidate, but tell me how can death by killing can be compared to death by disease?

Mr. Modi school of logic, vote for anyone whom you think is the best candidate, but tell me how can death by killing can be compared to death by disease?

Don't give a generic answer .. who in your opinion Indians should vote for .. .. who can take India forward.. name the person.

Not sure what do you mean by "Modi school of logic" ..

Last edited:
Don't give a generic answer .. who in your opinion Indians should vote for .. .. who can take India forward.. name the person.

Not sure what do you mean by "Modi school of logic" ..

tell me when do you think will digvijaya singh marry amrita.

Actually TBH,that is the feeling of most people voting for Modi.Fed up with Congress and the only feasible alternative is Modi.A rag tag coalition of regional satraps will be worse than Congress.

Yep. Regional politics will destroy India. But unfortunately it is becoming increasingly evident that regional parties are getting stronger each time round.

@CricketCartoons - Do check out the full comment of Sachin85. He was doing anything but justifying Modi's action. You have taken that point out of context.

@CricketCartoons - Do check out the full comment of Sachin85. He was doing anything but justifying Modi's action. You have taken that point out of context.

I don't don't if there was any other context, but from what I read, deaths from disease was being compared to death by violence. I would be glad if that wasn't the case.

Last edited:
I don't don't if there was any other context, but from what I read, deaths from disease was being compared to death by violence. I would be glad if that wasn't the case.

The point was made NOT to dismiss Modi's 2002 riots deaths but to make a point in GENERAL that bad management does kill a lot of people.

Comparison of death with that of riots was used to convey the MAGNITUDE of the problem as opposed to justifying the riots.

Riots creates a feeling of shock across the country.

Regular deaths due to incompetence doesn't when it SHOULD.

Sachin85 was talking about the latter case.

There was nothing wrong in what he said.

Last edited:
We can argue on Modi not being perfect all day, but I want to ask :

We are not choosing the 100% perfect person to be our PM, we are only selecting the best among the choices available.

If someone can point out a person better than Modi to be the PM, let us hear that. O/w we can keep finding faults with Modi and saying he is bad in so-and-so manner.. which is good for general discussion, but will not yield any positive outcome.

Let us concentrate on the question that who can take India forward .. who has the higher chance of bringing prosperity to Indians. He may not have to be flawless.

We can argue on Modi not being perfect all day, but I want to ask :

We are not choosing the 100% perfect person to be our PM, we are only selecting the best among the choices available.

If someone can point out a person better than Modi to be the PM, let us hear that. O/w we can keep finding faults with Modi and saying he is bad in so-and-so manner.. which is good for general discussion, but will not yield any positive outcome.

Let us concentrate on the question that who can take India forward .. who has the higher chance of bringing prosperity to Indians. He may not have to be flawless.

Do you personally believe that Narendra Modi isn´t flawless? If so, then what exactly is the flaw in him?

Again, you can dismiss my questions if you don´t personally find a flaw in him:).

Do you personally believe that Narendra Modi isn´t flawless? If so, then what exactly is the flaw in him?

Again, you can dismiss my questions if you don´t personally find a flaw in him:).

Yes, nobody is flawless, including Narendra Modi. But I am not convinced that he is a SHAITAAN or Hatyara unless something proves it. I am not saying anything on his role in riots, but unless he is proven guilty, I will give him benefit of doubt.

There are other flaws in him too, but watching his interviews many times, I am more inclined to believe that he is more or less, a no-nonsense man, and someone who has risen to this level without any backing from any family/dynasty/links etc. He has clarity in his replies and he is specific and hardly ducks any question of importance. He doesn't believe in appeasement, but development for all. The work he had done in Gujarat was for all the communities.

I am not going to be a blind fan of someone, but I am saying let's give percentage of good-bad qualities and select the topper for the post. The topper doesn't have to earn 100% marks.

The flaws in him are obviously failing to convince muslims/christians across India (not Gujarati Muslims though) that he is their leader too. Though he has said it many times, but the perception about him remains.

The other flaw is : Not coming down hard on his own partymen when they are giving inflammatory speeches against muslims or are involved in corruption. Though he has said clearly that he would setup courts against all MLA/MPs to resolve corruption cases, but I am not sure how hard he is on corruption of his own colleagues. He also distanced himself away from those who spread hatred against muslims, but he hasn't been hard against them.

Then there is a minor flaw on sometimes not being good with history..

Last edited:

Yes, nobody is flawless, including Narendra Modi. But I am not convinced that he is a SHAITAAN or Hatyara unless something proves it. I am not saying anything on his role in riots, but unless he is proven guilty, I will give him benefit of doubt.

There are other flaws in him too, but watching his interviews many times, I am more inclined to believe that he is more or less, a no-nonsense man, and someone who has risen to this level without any backing from any family/dynasty/links etc. He has clarity in his replies and he is specific and hardly ducks any question of importance. He doesn't believe in appeasement, but development for all. The work he had done in Gujarat was for all the communities.

I am not going to be a blind fan of someone, but I am saying let's give percentage of good-bad qualities and select the topper for the post. The topper doesn't have to earn 100% marks.

The flaws in him are obviously failing to convince muslims/christians across India (not Gujarati Muslims though) that he is their leader too. Though he has said it many times, but the perception about him remains.

The other flaw is : Not coming down hard on his own partymen when they are giving inflammatory speeches against muslims or are involved in corruption. Though he has said clearly that he would setup courts against all MLA/MPs to resolve corruption cases, but I am not sure how hard he is on corruption of his own colleagues. He also distanced himself away from those who spread hatred against muslims, but he hasn't been hard against them.

Then there is a minor flaw on sometimes not being good with history..

I thank you for your enlightening response:).

Paneer tikka masala, with lachcha paratha and a glass of lassi for me. And some sliced onions would be nice.

Reason why you are running away from the question seems obvious, you know Modi is the best candidate for PM and there is no one better however due to your issues with Modi in regards to the Gujarat riots you cannot openly say he is the best candidate. lol Kind of sad situation for Congress here when even some Modi haters deep down feel he is the best bet to lead the country. I have just given you a dose of Romali_rottis with Tandoori chicken a combo that you cant miss, enjoi :yk2

Reason why you are running away from the question seems obvious, you know Modi is the best candidate for PM and there is no one better however due to your issues with Modi in regards to the Gujarat riots you cannot openly say he is the best candidate. lol Kind of sad situation for Congress here when even some Modi haters deep down feel he is the best bet to lead the country. I have just given you a dose of Romali_rottis with Tandoori chicken a combo that you cant miss, enjoi :yk2

Well it is understandable. Hitler was the best candidate to revive Germany after the first world war, but you wouldn't expect Jews to agree on it.

Well it is understandable. Hitler was the best candidate to revive Germany after the first world war, but you wouldn't expect Jews to agree on it.

But the sad thing is that some Modi haters seem to keep quiet in regards to wanting Rahul Gandhi as PM .. Someone has to lead the country, ohhhh the dilemma :)) .............

Last edited:

I am not sure the analogy holds true.. It will be in best interests of Modi to earn the trust of Muslims and make sure that riots are minimized. Even for a moment if we assume his intentions are anti-muslim, it will not happen. Following are the reasons for it.

1. Majority of Indians don't have this opinion that muslims should not exist in India. If he has to remove the muslims, he would anger a lot of secular Hindus, who will oppose this kind of idea. Trust me, there are a lot of sane people in India.

2. The thought of spreading hatred towards a particular religion (read islam) can get him some votes (probably it did at some places in UP), but can't win the majority of them, because a majority of Hindus aren't buying the hard-core Hindutva angle. If they did, BJP would always remain in power because the perception is that it's the only party which is not muslim-centric (appeasement). But still, they lost in 2004, and a majority of the blame goes towards 2002 riots.

3. You can see Modi and BJP had to base their election campaign on "development" and Ram mandir issue is put in back burner. The modi-wave is there because people have hopes of development, and jobs.. not that he will restore Hindu pride.

4. A riot free India will serve his purpose of cleaning up his image in moderate Hindu society as well as worldwide.. It will be in his best interests to show the world that he can run a country without communal tensions.

5. His opponents will want riots to happen because it will prove their theory.

6. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep ALL muslims threatened.. who form more than 20% of the total population.

7. A riot torn country can't have development, and if there is no development, he wouldn't be voted back, because his USP is development.

Last edited:
Don't know why Rajnath offered apologies to Muslims, if they didn't do anything wrong.

Why this sudden need for an apology?

Isn't this Muslims Appeasement?

Don't know why Rajnath offered apologies to Muslims, if they didn't do anything wrong.

Why this sudden need for an apology?

Isn't this Muslims Appeasement?

To set the record straight, Rajnath NEVER offered any apology. He just said IF there is a mistake..

“Please note that whenever, wherever, if there has been any mistake and shortcomings on our part, I assure you that we will apologise to you by bowing our heads.”

So they didn't do any mistakes ?

Last edited:
“Please note that whenever, wherever, if there has been any mistake and shortcomings on our part, I assure you that we will apologise to you by bowing our heads.”

So they didn't do any mistakes ?

It is a very generic statement and is applicable to all.

He may have said it to reach out to muslims.. but he hasn't offered any specific apology for any specific crime. a lot of generic terms like whenever/wherever/if etc. are used and it doesn't mean much when it's not specific.

In fact by this statement, one can derive that since he/BJP hasn't apologised,we can conclude they haven't done anything wrong till now (in his opinion). O/w they would have apologized by now.

Last edited:

Hahaaha, cracker sir:))! This made me laugh:):19:.

Modi first asked for the burnt coach to be transported to Ahmedabad but Jayanti Ravi strongly opposed this move. Thereafter, Modi ordered that the bodies be handed over to the then VHP state general secretary, Jaideep Patel who sent them to the Sola Civil Hospital in Ahmedabad. It was at this time that the bodies were paraded around. The bodies were not handed over to any official but a functionary of a rabid organization.

What was the purpose of the public display of bodies other than to instigate hatred, fear and eventually riots?

Why are people so blind...

What was the purpose of the public display of bodies other than to instigate hatred, fear and eventually riots?

Why are people so blind...

It will be difficult to believe it being such a textbook case and the honourable court ignored this argument altogether if it was so straightforward.

Let us not decide the case on a public forum.

An outrageously far fetched comparison makes you laugh.. this fact disappoints me.

Relax brother. I just found it funny, if it's allowed. Sorry if you are disappointed. This in fact reminds me of an incident: once a girl asked me to always keep smiling no matter what the situation is. "Even at funerals?", I asked. She shook her head in utter disappointment at my question.

Last edited:
It will be difficult to believe it being such a textbook case and the honourable court ignored this argument altogether if it was so straightforward.

Let us not decide the case on a public forum.

We're having a discussion, we're not setting up court.

I honestly could care about the indian judicial system.

These are facts and unless you address them directly it's better to avoid my posts.

We're having a discussion, we're not setting up court.

I honestly could care about the indian judicial system.

These are facts and unless you address them directly it's better to avoid my posts.

Yes we should believe the fact finding machinery you have, and reject all the intelligence of Indian courts.

Relax brother. I just found it funny, if it's allowed. Sorry if you are disappointed. This in fact reminds me of an incident: once a girl asked me to always keep smiling no matter what the situation is. "Even at funerals?", I asked. She shook her head in utter disappointment at my question.

It's ok.. I was just clarifying that perhaps the analogy was outrageous, and incorrect. No problem if you happen to find it funny.

Well right, I get told by an Indian auntie that Narendra Modi doesn't even own a house. He stays at his friend's place, has just one laptop, a blanket *and I reckon probably one glass, plate, toothpaste and a shaver.* Wow:))!

Yes we should believe the fact finding machinery you have, and reject all the intelligence of Indian courts.

I didn't know we held the indian judicial system as an infallible deity of all that is good in the world. You can kneel before them like a fool and follow them blindly but I won't.

It says a lot that you can't address any of these facts directly.

Reminds me of people who defend OJ's innocence by blindly repeating "well the court says he's innocent so he must be!" :yk

Well right, I get told by an Indian auntie that Narendra Modi doesn't even own a house. He stays at his friend's place, has just one laptop, a blanket *and I reckon probably one glass, plate, toothpaste and a shaver.* Wow:))!

He has assets worth 1.68 crores. So must be having a piece of land or flat somewhere or maybe it's just his savings?

I didn't know we held the indian judicial system as an infallible deity of all that is good in the world. You can kneel before them like a fool and follow them blindly but I won't.

It says a lot that you can't address any of these facts directly.

Reminds me of people who defend OJ's innocence by blindly repeating "well the court says he's innocent so he must be!" :yk

Nowhere have I claimed that Modi was innocent, but I will not believe the assumptions against him either.

You are saying as if Indian courts are notorious for giving anti-muslim judgments and have soft corner for Modi.

A horror story of Gujarat

Rediff.com, Saturday, March 02, 2002
Ex-MP Jaffrey's widow relives a day of terror

Sheela Bhatt in Ahmedabad

How many people have died in Ahmedabad? How many in other parts of Gujarat? Where are the bodies? Who is leading the mobs that are setting entire families on fire? How many of the dead have been cremated/buried with respect? Has any action been initiated against the rioters?

As of now, there is no system in place in Gujarat, India's second most industrialised state, to know what exactly is happening. Even senior leaders like Union Home Minister Lal Kishenchand Advani are hard-pressed to know the situation.

On Friday, Advani condemned the previous day's attack on Gulmarg Colony in the Chamanpura locality of Ahmedabad and said, "The killing of [former Congress member of Parliament Ehsan] Jaffrey and his family members has shaken me."

Advani was only partially right. Jaffrey is dead, but his wife Razia survived.

Recalling the horrors of February 28, Razia Jafri said they had been warned that morning of the possibility of disturbances in their locality. "Our colony had 19 houses," she said. "Only one belonged to a Hindu; the rest belonged to Muslims. Hindu families surrounded us, but we never had any tensions."

The Jaffreys had been living in Chamanpura since 1969 and the septuagenarian did not expect any trouble. "But by 8.30am we could sense the tension mounting," Razia Jaffrey said. "My husband started calling people for help while other residents of the colony gathered in our house, which was quite big."

Outside the main gate, a mob had started collecting. "Jaffreysaab got worried. He called the police commissioner, his party president Amarsinh Chaudhary and scores of leaders." For almost three hours he continued to make frantic phone calls, pleading for help. "At one point he even cried on the phone to save so many lives. But no one, not a single leader, not one policeman, came to our rescue."

"Ehsanbhai called me more than four times," admitted former chief minister Chaudhary, "but I was helpless. I could not get Police Commissioner [P C] Pande on the line. I could not save them. I got more than 200 calls from Muslims on the first day on three phone lines. People from all over Gujarat were calling and asking for police help, asking for protection, asking for a rescue team."

Chaudhary said many Hindu Congressmen were also calling him because they had sheltered panic-stricken Muslims in their houses and, as a result, had started feeling unsafe themselves. "Mad crowds were abusing them," Chaudhary said.

At 10.30am Jaffrey told his wife to go to upper floor of the house. "That was the last time I saw him," she said. "By 11am stone-pelting began. Our boys tried to resist initially, but the crowd multiplied in no time."

The people hiding inside Jaffrey's house were terrified. "By then we had realised that all of us were going to die," said Jaffrey. Her husband continued to think the police would come and disperse the attackers, "but it never happened".

Jaffrey had a licensed pistol, "but he knew that one pistol can't save you from 8,000 people. He fired in the air to disperse the crowd, but it proved ineffective."

By now the mob was throwing Molotov cocktails and burning tyres at the house. "The womenfolk doused those tyres with blankets. The women and children did everything they could.

"But at 1.30pm the crowd entered from the back. We had locked our home from inside and the crowd was waiting outside to kill us."

The mob was brandishing tridents, staves and swords and shouting filthy abuse. "I can't even describe what they were saying about the women," she said. "It is the most filthy language I have ever heard."

Two youths who went to lock the main gate were caught and killed with swords, then set afire. "We had no idea what to do! Whom to turn to?"

Razia Jaffrey still believes that if the police had appeared on the scene on time, they would have all been saved. "By 3pm the ground floor was on fire, engulfed in smoke," she continued. "Imagine burning 18 bungalows full of wood furniture. But we could not run out for fear of being lynched."

More horrors were in store. The mob brought out gas cylinders from the other houses, piled them up outside the Jaffreys' and set them alight. "They burst the cylinders in front of our home where more than 150 people were crying for life," she said. "We were scared and praying to Allah!"

Those hiding on the upper floor were saved, but those on the ground floor were engulfed in the fire. At 3.30pm the police finally arrived on the scene and opened fire to disperse the mob. "When I came down," Jaffrey said, "it was all over. I could not believe my eyes. I could not find my husband's body. My neighbours were unrecognisable too."

She had been waiting 24 hours to get custody of her husband's body when rediff.com contacted her. "The police are not helping us, nor am I allowed to go home to look for his body. I think I'll go mad," she cried.

She is now living with a relative. The hurt and anger are evident in their eyes, though they are careful not to reveal any of it in words.

The word "guilty" (or "Not guilty") is used so often in relation to Narendra Modi.....

In Punjabi, "gilty" is used for tonsils stones, or any other such spot in the body. Like, gilty in the stomach area, thighs, biceps etc.

Even a thick bed-sheet can have a gilty if not spread out properly. I often sit on them, and ouch!

irrespective of whther modi is guilty or not , congress and its crony media got royally owned by playing secularism card ..

irrespective of whther modi is guilty or not , congress and its crony media got royally owned by playing secularism card ..

I think that's what I'm most happy about. Their secularism drama and fear mongering didn't work this time. Immense pleasure.

He won for the sole reason of development and Congress ineptitude. No one really worries about riots 12 years ago any more than they do riots 30 years ago.

I personally hope he rules with an Iron fist as thats whats needed in a highly illiterate uneducated country like India. The next 10 years are critical. I expect billions in investment to pour into India similar to China in the 90s.

I am happy about BJP winning full majority too,but ideally would have wanted a different person as the PM

But I guess BJP wouldnt have won without Modi anyways

He won for the sole reason of development and Congress ineptitude. No one really worries about riots 12 years ago any more than they do riots 30 years ago.

I personally hope he rules with an Iron fist as thats whats needed in a highly illiterate uneducated country like India. The next 10 years are critical. I expect billions in investment to pour into India similar to China in the 90s.

thats a poor attitude.The culprits whoever they should be brought to book and Modi shouldnt have even been in running for PM

Very good post mate. In a way I'm happy that i'm in one of those states from where BJP has not won.

Last edited:
thats a poor attitude.The culprits whoever they should be brought to book and Modi shouldnt have even been in running for PM

Since nothing is proven as of yet, let's not pass judgments on who should be running.

I agree Wasim bhai. The crackdown on gays and liberals has already started, and not a moment too soon. Hopefully next on the agenda will be far stricter censorship on Bollywood so indian and Hindu values can be encouraged Inshallah.

I agree Wasim bhai. The crackdown on gays and liberals has already started, and not a moment too soon. Hopefully next on the agenda will be far stricter censorship on Bollywood so indian and Hindu values can be encouraged Inshallah.

Im talking about economic development and youre talking about social issues. No one really cares staging fake Gita burnings to blame Christians, kidnapping and converting Muslim girls to Hinduism or other such silly things.

Seems like certain Pakistanis like you are just plain butthurt about not having a corrupt Indian leader in power and I dont know why?

How about the riots 30 years ago then and you keeping your lips shut as anyone with Gandhi looted the country the next 2 decades. Hypocrite.

Im talking about economic development and youre talking about social issues. No one really cares staging fake Gita burnings to blame Christians, kidnapping and converting Muslim girls to Hinduism or other such silly things.

Seems like certain Pakistanis like you are just plain butthurt about not having a corrupt Indian leader in power and I dont know why?

That's what I'm saying Wasim bhai, thankfully Indians have got rid of corrupt Indian govt and now have a firm right wing leader who is ONLY about economic development and nothing to do with any religious affiliation at all. I'm agreeing with you bro, why the hostility?

So now certain Pakistanis are butthurt cos India doesn't have a corrupt leader in power.

Oh....what a brilliant argument?

That's what I'm saying Wasim bhai, thankfully Indians have got rid of corrupt Indian govt and now have a firm right wing leader who is ONLY about economic development and nothing to do with any religious affiliation at all. I'm agreeing with you bro, why the hostility?

Yup thats exactly why he won pro growth pro development.

If all that mattered was right wing jingoism RSS would have ruled the country for 60 years now with absolute majorities not the party that bends over backwards for minorities like the Congress.

Appologies for the hostilities. Its clear we are on the same train of thought.

Last edited:
So now certain Pakistanis are butthurt cos India doesn't have a corrupt leader in power.

Oh....what a brilliant argument?

As I said I have no idea why this is but as you can see from the 200 Modi posts on the front page there are some foaming at the mouth while for Indians its Euphoria.

No idea why they are so butthurt. The exit polls state Congress lost as they were seen as a corrupt power that did little to develop the country. LOL why would Pakistanis prefer Indians to have them in power?

They say leaders are a reflection of their society, Most pakistanis are internally corrupt, liars, greedy, etc just like their leader, Most Indians are hindu nationalist just like their leader.

As I said I have no idea why this is but as you can see from the 200 Modi posts on the front page there are some foaming at the mouth while for Indians its Euphoria.

No idea why they are so butthurt. The exit polls state Congress lost as they were seen as a corrupt power that did little to develop the country. LOL why would Pakistanis prefer Indians to have them in power?

They are against Modi. Not against India getting a non corrupt leader.

So tackle those points, bud.

They say leaders are a reflection of their society, Most pakistanis are internally corrupt, liars, greedy, etc just like their leader, Most Indians are hindu nationalist just like their leader.

Sigh.....

Very poor argument, bud.

You have NO idea what you are talking about.

India has 85% Hindus. If Hindus had wanted to crush people of other religion through their vote power, they would have. Parties would have then used that angle to get votes. Parties go where the demand is.

You have NO idea how many Hindus oppose Modi or BJP or RSS. Many are voting this time cos we can't have another Congress rule.

Congress secular angle worked till now DUE TO THE fact that Hindus voted for them. This time they deserted them and we all saw what happened.

Last edited:
Back