1st Test: Aus v Eng [Day 1]

And that's stumps. 3/346. Ponting on 137*, Hussey 63*. Excellent first day from the Baggy Greens - Langer got us to a great start and ended up with 82 (threw away a chance at a hundred really) and hit Harmy out of the attack. To finish the first day on 350ish with 7 wickets in hand and two well-set batsmen at the crease is great, and will give us more scope to attack tomorrow.

As for England, the bowling has been ordinary, Flintoff aside - geez the bloke is a massive competitor but the rest of his team, particularly Harmy, who I figured would be crucial to their hopes in this Test with his ability to get bounce, did not back him up. Anderson was expensive while Hoggy could not get much swing.

It would be brilliant if we could "do a Gillespie" on Harmy and hit him out of this Test, and possibly the series. This was the wicket where I expected him to do the most damage (this and the WACA).

Game on for tomorrow, but I think we won 2 of the 3 sessions today (with the middle session being a draw).

BTW, it wasn't flat as Multan - it had good bounce and carry, but nowhere near the amount of swing it usually has. Not much sideways movement, though Flintoff was getting some balls to swing. Pietersen was getting some good turn as well. Very good batting track once you got your eye in, and England didn't test the OZ enough with bouncers in the right areas (most were too short or wide).

Last edited:
I love the fact there are more posts for this match than the pakistan one. :D

A good days cricket in brisbane, why the hell did england pick giles ffs!

for that fact i hope aussies smash england here in brisbane.

langer, pointing and hussey have all laod good foundations here for a 500+ total.

I love the fact that England are getting absolutely hammered :D

I just watched first 10 overs of terrible England bowling. I was expecting some fight from them. The pitch was as flat as Multan. In Multan u at least always get 4-5 wickets in the morning session.

Great day by Aus.
Punter will look for some quick runs to get up to 500+ and bat England out of this match.
Hopefully Gilly comes in tomorrow and makes a quickfire 50 odd. Would love to see him at his best again like he was in New Zealand before last years Ashes and in Bangladesh earlier this year.

Hash said:
I love the fact that England are getting absolutely hammered :D

Your on your own mate :21:

England have played really well I thought. Harmison looked menacing and Hoggard ran in all day. And I was so happy to hear Giles mention that he is still learning to give the ball a little air and will bowl a bit more around the wicket. All in all a positive day.

I've just watched the BBC highlights on their site that take the channel 9 stream and from what i've heard there are loads of commentators. I've heard Lawry, Greig, Richie, Bumble, Chappell, Nicholas, Slater, Healy, Gower. That's a ridiculous number.

Botham and co are saying this pitch will be faster on day 2. I am sure they aren't making excuses already. :21:

No doubt if this gets worse for England as the test match goes on - which is probably will - you will hear one or more of the following excuses:

1. We are rusty at the start of any tour
2. We lost the toss
3. We have big players coming back from injury
4. Simon Jones was unable to play

When the real reasons are - Flintoff isn't captain material, and Jones and Giles is the worst u-turn in the history of the English board of selectors!

Theres still 4 days of play to be had. Anything can happen Whippy!

I know, and I am not usually the wrist-slitting type. But it is so bloody hard to keep perspective when you've just given up your night's sleep to sit through that tripe!

My heart tells me that the mindset of the players will be different as they wake up today - they will not be fretting over Aussie crowds, the coin toss and whether they will have to bat or bowl - they will know exactly what is required of them, and they will take plenty of cheap wickets to keep themselves in the game. Little periods of fightback by the England bowlers is something we have done lots of times before.

My head tells me that this isn't going to get better. The absolute worst thing that could happen is that Flintoff just defends again, and Aussies are declaring on 500-odd for 5 at the end of the day, giving us 10 tricky overs and we lose Strauss to the new ball - and it could happen!

Whippy said:
I know, and I am not usually the wrist-slitting type. But it is so bloody hard to keep perspective when you've just given up your night's sleep to sit through that tripe!

My heart tells me that the mindset of the players will be different as they wake up today - they will not be fretting over Aussie crowds, the coin toss and whether they will have to bat or bowl - they will know exactly what is required of them, and they will take plenty of cheap wickets to keep themselves in the game. Little periods of fightback by the England bowlers is something we have done lots of times before.

My head tells me that this isn't going to get better. The absolute worst thing that could happen is that Flintoff just defends again, and Aussies are declaring on 500-odd for 5 at the end of the day, giving us 10 tricky overs and we lose Strauss to the new ball - and it could happen!

Do u think aussies will score just 150 runs in 80 overs? At this rate for 80 overs they will score 300 runs which mean over all target of 650.

shan said:
Do u think aussies will score just 150 runs in 80 overs? At this rate for 80 overs they will score 300 runs which mean over all target of 650.

please don't - I might cry :p

Back