1st Test: Aus v Eng [Day 1]

LOL what dismal fielding that was from England to give away a boundary.

shabash Ponting - cross that shabash Hoggard - a four. probably slipped on his sun screen

Harmi coming back on the field. I guess he had his rest and massage and ready to bowl. lazy man. just had lunch break

PlanetPakistan said:
.2 Anderson to Ponting, no run, jagged back into Ponting at 88mph and it cuts him in half. Will Luke screams "ball of the day" but he's missed half of them as he keeps sneaking out for a fag

what the heck?

A fag is a gaf (in Sth australia), or a durry (in Qld), or a smoke (in Sydney).

Geez Ponting is cutting loose, pulling balls to the boundary. OZ 2/155. I hope neither of these two give their wickets away as we have the Poms on the rack at the moment, we want to win this session and the next.

I hope England brought the sports psychologist that Panesar was seeing with them for other bowlers

Hoggard come in to bowl. he can bowl with old ball too!!!???
168-2 only 36 overs

stroke of the day, vicious pull by Punter .. bisects the boundary riders..Off Hoggard

Beautiful pull shot to the boundary from Ponting takes him to 43. Run rate 4.6.

Someone at Cricinfo's having a bit of fun.

33.3 Anderson to Ponting, FOUR, pulled with real class but not quite timed ... however, Hoggard's progress round the boundary was more Julie Christie than Linford Chrsitie and he bent for the ball like a 70-year-old as it trickled past him for four
33.4 Anderson to Ponting, 1 run, easy single to rub salt in the wound
33.5 Anderson to Martyn, 3 runs, beautifully-timed square drive, Pietersen retrieves inches inside the ropes
33.6 Anderson to Ponting, FOUR, short, and Ponting on it like a cheetah and hammers it through midwicket. Expensive over with 12 off it
Andrew Miller reports that the first chants of "Hoggard's a w****r" have been heard. Almost like Headingley ...

lol., OZGOD you must be enjoying every moment of this.

Commentators talking nonsense. Saying unpredictable fast bowlers can be hard to play. If that was the case, then Sami wouldnt be averaging nearly 50!

Amir said:
lol., OZGOD you must be enjoying every moment of this.

It's only the 2nd session of Day 2 - I know how quickly a Test match can tilt. I'm more nervous than excited at the moment.

EDIT: Still, it's pleasurable to see Harmlesson get flayed to all corners of the ground as I identified him with Flintoff as being the key to the Poms winning this match. He may yet come good, he should be getting heaps of bounce on this pitch but his radar's all over the place.

Last edited:
PlanetPakistan said:
.....this aggers guy on the other hand is talking about his wife and the flight instructor Sara....
I guess I shouldnt complain then!

Daoud said:
Commentators talking nonsense. Saying unpredictable fast bowlers can be hard to play. If that was the case, then Sami wouldnt be averaging nearly 50!
M Sami is predictably wayward...and any straight ball is nothing but an accident!

The CEO of Sky TV has ordered Flintoff to not to bowl A Giles because as soon as people see Giles they will either turn it off or simply break the TV!

PlanetPakistan said:
OZGOD how is the Gabba pitch on Day 5? does it break up a lot?

Not generally, but it retains its bounce. But it's been very hot in Qld over the past few weeks apparently, and very humid, which will cause this pitch to maybe break up a bit more. Almost looks like a second day Gabba wicket to me.

Healy's excuse for the ball not swinging much today (when it usually does at the Gabba) is the humidity.

If we can finish this day on 350-odd we'll have done really well. 2/177 at the moment.

LOLZ - the camera just showed some pasty skinned Pommies dressed up as Beefeaters - one of them had a piece of paper stuck on his back which said "Proud To Be A Convict". :))

Ponting with a pretty good 50. Not the most fluent 50, but he's got there.

Giles gets hit with an imperious lofted straight drive from Marto for 444444444

Marto trying to hit Giles out of the attack, cut away for 3 more

OZGOD said:
Not generally, but it retains its bounce. But it's been very hot in Qld over the past few weeks apparently, and very humid, which will cause this pitch to maybe break up a bit more. Almost looks like a second day Gabba wicket to me.

Healy's excuse for the ball not swinging much today (when it usually does at the Gabba) is the humidity.
The commies are saying that it has been unusually dry and theres no wind because since the rennovation, there isnt an open area anymore

Cricinfo:

Ineffective over, that. I wonder how Monty Panesar is feeling in the dressing room. Pretty glum, I'd imagine
41.6 Giles to Ponting, no run, defended on the front foot
41.5 Giles to Martyn, 3 runs, ah, class from Martyn, sitting on the back foot and waiting for the spin - the very slow spin, it must be said - before guiding it past first slip down to third man
41.4 Giles to Martyn, no run, well bowled, straight and full and defended
41.3 Giles to Martyn, no run, quicker, straighter, and defended
Australia are really going to target Giles here. Mid-on goes back to long-on
41.2 Giles to Martyn, FOUR, what a shot! One step down the pitch and Martyn smacks him over his head with the minimum of fuss, one bounce and that's four.
41.1 Giles to Martyn, no run, tossed up outside off - a bit of spin there. Spin, of sorts...

Daoud said:
The commies are saying that it has been unusually dry and theres no wind because since the rennovation, there isnt an open area anymore
these cubans make some strange comments

I wish they made a green pitch. I love watching matches like those without Pakistan involved.

This is a fighting 50 by Dubya. He hasn't looked all that fluent, some gorgeous pulls coupled with some ordinary strokes.

Big wicket for the Wheelie Bin! Marto goneski for 29, 3/198.

Do you think the pitch is abrasive enough for a bit of reverse swing? I don't think it reverses a lot at the Gaba....maybe OzGod can tell us!

Big moment for the Huss - first start in an Ashes series. Hope he doesn't feck it up.

PlanetPakistan said:
Do you think the pitch is abrasive enough for a bit of reverse swing? I don't think it reverses a lot at the Gaba....maybe OzGod can tell us!

I don't think it'll reverse all that much, to be honest. Even the old ball doesnt' look all that scuffed.

Wheelie Bin on fire, bowling round the wicket to Hussey!

Wicket maiden for Wheelie Bin. And suddenly a bit more life in the Pom fielders.

Damn Panesar wont be playing in the series anymore.

Good move by Flintoff, putting himself back on to capitalise on the fall of Marto's wicket. Hussey being bounced at the moment.

There is some swing out there - Flintoff nearly bowls Huss with a ball that swung back beautifully. But Huss lofts him over his head next ball for 4 and gets off the mark.

Superb shot by Hussey, dug out from his toes for 44444444

Pietersen nearly did a Simon Jones there - glad that he didn't do his knee.

Pietersen going off as a precaution.

Giles being treated like a net bowler. Actually thats giving him a bit of respect

37 overs to b bowled in final session in 2 hours. Can they do it? :p

I think extra hald hour ll b given to Eng to finis their overs. or they have to bowl, KP,Collingwood,Giles more to finish in time.

Both team went for conservative selection but Giles over Monty would hurt Eng more then Clark over MJ/Tait. Flintoff is fast becoming Imran for England.

You watching this and the PAk-WI game both live, Daoud? (this on Channel 9 and the WI-Pak on the net)?

44444444 for Ponting, straight drive.

OZGOD said:
You watching this and the PAk-WI game both live, Daoud? (this on Channel 9 and the WI-Pak on the net)?
Yeah, Ashes on 9 and Wi-Pak on cricinfo

Ponting just played two imperious boundaries off Anderson. That straight drive was perfection

Last edited:
And cut away through the offside for 4 more, Anderson getting hammered.

3/231 so far. Pom bowling has improved, they're fighting back well. OZ still in control though, unless we lose another couple of wickets.

Geez that was a close shout. LOL at Bowden, he raises his arm but only to scratch his nose! What a fool.

Hawkeye shows it clipping the top of the stumps.

Imposing front foot pull by Ponting off Anderson

Last edited:
Fantastic shot pulled away off the front foot in front of square for 4444444444 by Ponting

Back