1st Test: Aus v Eng [Day 1]

OZGOD said:
Hawkeye shows it clipping the top of the stumps.
while looking at it via hawkeye it's amazing how many times the ball manages to clip the stumps...i reckon at least 70-80% of the time you'll see the ball merely clipping the stumps...so to me this hawk eye thing is a bit iffy!

Greig's been mentioning how the Pommies are doing their subbie thing with Ed Joyce again. :))

Here comes Bell...geez I hope either of these two don't get out to a trundler like this bloke.

Streaky 4444 from Dubya, tried to cut it but mishit, still got to the boundary.

But next ball a beautiful drive from Dubya for 4444444444 more. He's on 90 now.

Giles thought he had Hussey. Spectator's catch really

Its been revealed that Giles has been prefered.....for his form :))

4444444444444 more for Ponting driven to the mid on fence.

James Anderson...what a dissappointment so far! if they had played Saj then that would have allowed them to play Monty too......

Ponting's wagon wheel:

pontingwagonwheelka1.jpg

giles is SO ******* BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cmon punter, hows about a six for that century.

9 actually going to follow play till the last ball of the day. And to think 2 years ago, they didnt show Warne break the world record because they skipped to "The Price is Right"

3 runs from Hussey, pulled to the midwicket fence.

And Ponting gets his hundred! Well played. This last 50 was much more fluent. Amazing how this bloke can play himself in and make big scores.

UsmanCHADDA said:
How many nicknames do these Australians have?!

If you count the ones that we can't use in public, heaps. :)))

UsmanCHADDA said:
How many nicknames do these Australians have?!
Everyone has an official nickname then an unofficial one. His teamates call him Punter. The rest of the world calls him Dubya

Straight 4 by Hussey to end Giles over

You have to admit, he bloody looks a HELL of a lot like Dubya, with his square head.

PlanetPakistan said:
James Anderson...what a dissappointment so far! if they had played Saj then that would have allowed them to play Monty too......

Saj is busy with PP so he couldnt play anyways...

3/284, actually mate. Did you forget Wheelie Bin's wicket? :)))

I don't know if we'll get to 350 by the end of the day, which will be the target. The Poms are really behind their over rate.

Here comes another part-timer - Pietersen. I hope this snapperhead doesn't fluke a wicket, that would be a disaster!

OZGOD said:
3/284, actually mate. Did you forget Wheelie Bin's wicket? :)))

I don't know if we'll get to 350 by the end of the day, which will be the target. The Poms are really behind their over rate.

Here comes another part-timer - Pietersen. I hope this snapperhead doesn't fluke a wicket, that would be a disaster!
It was that hard to believe ;-)

Ponting has a unique talent of looking absolutely hapless at the start of his innings then somehow getting a scratchy, gritty 50, then getting much more fluent to get to his ton. Once he starts cutting and pulling you know he's in form. But he doesn't quite have Lara's staying power, "stickiness" at the wicket and ability to convert tons to double tons (though not many do).

What he does have is a penchant for scoring tons in key situations, like this first Ashes Test. It's crucial for OZ to win this match to set the tone for the series.

Terrific stuff from Ponting. The man is absolutely a great piece of work. Both him and MoYousuf have done very well. Aussie in a very big advantage.

And Inzi gone...

Bad bad day for us. No control over the batting and all the batsmen have scored freely. Well played Punter on his century.

OZ approaching 300. Hussey has played a good supporting role here.

Hussey working the ball very well, just nudging the ball around he's gotten nearly to his 50.

Where's Harmy? Haven't seen him at all since tea.

All-run 4 from Ponting, great shot dug out in front of his toes towards long-on.

Sellout at the Gabba - 40,000 at the ground today. Sellout for the next four days as well.

3/302 for OZ. Flintoff brings himself on again. Haven't seen Harmy since lunch.

England need a breakthrough here bigtime.

45 mins left to play, Dubya on 118 and Mr Cricket on 49. OZ 3/313. These two clearly want to be there at stumps.

Can't believe KP is getting this much time bowling.

And Hussey gets his 50 off KP. Great supporting role for him, he's played well within himself and rotated the strike really well, giving Ponting as much strike as possible. Good knock.

Geez Greig keeps mentioning how the Poms are doing their rotating trick again with getting the subbie fielders - apparently Flintoff was off for exactly 7 minutes, any longer and he wouldn't have been able to bowl. Not that I have a big problem with it, but I wonder how long before some media hack gets stuck into them. :)))

Rob H said:
Bad bad day for us. No control over the batting and all the batsmen have scored freely. Well played Punter on his century.
Have you seen the turn Pietersen is getting? Any thoughts for Monty !!

OZGOD said:
Geez Greig keeps mentioning how the Poms are doing their rotating trick again with getting the subbie fielders - apparently Flintoff was off for exactly 7 minutes, any longer and he wouldn't have been able to bowl. Not that I have a big problem with it, but I wonder how long before some media hack gets stuck into them. :)))
My pick is Craddock

Absolute ripper from KP. His best mate must really be looking forward for a bowl

fawad_asrar said:
Have you seen the turn Pietersen is getting? Any thoughts for Monty !!

I'm sure Warney's noticed that too...

KP did start off as a spinner and his carear has done a full circle as hes the best spinner in his team

OZGOD said:
I'm sure Warney's noticed that too...
Well few things need not to be stated, they are understood.

I am sure people will quote the biggest mistake rather blunder by a coach for years to come.

Asim2Good said:
14 mins left in today's play and 12 overs left :p

I think they can go till 5.30 AEDST. Another 35 mins.

LOL funny to see some Aussies cheering it up with the Barmy Army. Good to see the Barmies still having a ball.

Beautiful sweep shot for Hussey to mid on for 44444444444

This innings from Hussey has been a case study on how to play a supporting role and still accumulate runs. Very few boundaries but he's been rotating the strike very well and nudging the ball around, while letting Ponting play the big shots.

New ball taken. Here comes Freddie.

Daoud said:
Mid wicket you mean

Flintoff is taking the new ball himself

Yeh midwicket, I'm watching it on a tiny IE window here. Let's see if Flintoff can break this partnership up before stumps.

79.3 Pietersen to Hussey, no run, semi appeal but no one seems sure what for, especially those making the appeal

:))) :)))

From Cricinfo:

Pietersen to Hussey, no run, semi appeal but no one seems sure what for, especially those making the appeal

Last edited:
Asim2Good said:
79.3 Pietersen to Hussey, no run, semi appeal but no one seems sure what for, especially those making the appeal

:))) :)))

LOL at the timing.

We're on target to get to 350 if we get 3 rpo till stumps. If we can do it without losing a wicket then I'll be very happy.

Beautiful pull shot for 44444444444 from Dubya

OZGOD said:
LOL at the timing.

another one

It's not clear what the point of this is. The bowlers are not really threatening and there are no close fielders to speak of. A tired Ponting will be quite happy with this low-key end to a long day.

After 2nd ball

Anderson gets the other end. Two new balls, four new-ball bowlers. Sums it up, really.

:91: :91:

Last edited:
Obviously an unhappy Pom doing the commentary :)))

Here's another:

Much like a stirred-up wasps' nest, the rearguard of the Barmy Army have started chanting for no apparent reason

Ashes drawing more attention than fifth day of Pak vs WI series on Pakpassion, amazing. Good century by Ponting

Geez Bill Lawry should shut up already. Keeps dribbling over Ponting. Don't jinx the bloke.

abdul9383 said:
Ashes drawing more attention than fifth day of Pak vs WI series on Pakpassion, amazing. Good century by Ponting
Well it did start 4.5 hours before too ;-)

Back