4-Day practice game between Australian Prime Minister's XI (367/4) & Pakistan (391/9) ends in a draw

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The Prime Minister’s XI vs Pakistan match is scheduled to take place at the Manuka Oval, Canberra from December 6 to December 9. This 4-day warm-up match is part of Pakistan’s tour of Australia for the 2023-24 season.

Pakistan’s team is coming into this match with a strong lineup and a strategy that aims to excite cricket fans of both countries. They have a clear plan to speed up the run-making and are relying on their bowlers to take twenty wickets, which will make it easier for them to implement their plans. They have a lot of options in bowling, and they are prepared for the ball reversing in Sydney, which is why they have brought Wasim Junior along.

In the batting department, Abdullah Shafiq and Imam-ul-Haq are expected to open, with Babar Azam playing at number four. Sarfraz Ahmed will be preferred over Mohammad Rizwan. The team also includes domestic performers like Khurram Shahzad and Mir Hamza.

On the other hand, the Prime Minister’s XI will be looking to put up a strong fight. The team will be led by Nathan McSweeney. Moreover, this series will be the last outing for David Warner who is one of the best ambassadors of world cricket. This series will be an emotional one for Warner, and Pakistan will try to bring different challenges for him in the last series.

Overall, this match promises to be a thrilling encounter between two competitive teams. Cricket fans around the world are eagerly waiting for the action to unfold.

1701756899040.png

SQUADS:
Prime Minister’s XI squad: Nathan McSweeney (capt), Cameron Bancroft, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Nathan McAndrew, Todd Murphy, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Mark Steketee, and Beau Webster.

Pakistan’s squad: Shan Masood (captain), Aamir Jamal, Abdullah Shafique, Abrar Ahmed, Babar Azam, Faheem Ashraf, Hasan Ali, Imam-ul-Haq, Khurram Shahzad, Mir Hamza, Mohammad Rizwan (wk), Mohammad Wasim Jnr, Noman Ali, Saim Ayub, Salman Ali Agha, Sarfaraz Ahmed (wk), Saud Shakeel, and Shaheen Shah Afridi.

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Shan Masood looks worried for Cameron green. LOL

----------------------------------

Shan Masood speaking to the press ahead of the 4-day game against PM IX:

“For us, it has mainly been jet lag and a bit of rain, but we have been lucky that we got a full day of practice yesterday. It's a beautiful place with beautiful ground and an ideal way to start a tour, and we are looking really forward to it. I think it is very important, especially given the nature of the game. It is a first-class fixture, and we are playing against a side that is very well-equipped. They have a lot of Australian internationals and a lot of people knocking on that Australian door, so probably it is an ideal way for us to start against the world test champions. It is hard naming people because I think they have a few internationals, but Cameron Green is one of them who is in 14; somebody to look out for. He has all the potential to be a world-class all-rounder, and we are looking forward to coming up against him. Obviously, we want to face him; you want to play the best, but again, given the nature of the game, it's a competitive first-class fixture, and we are looking forward to it.”​

Who is playing for Prime Minister's XI? I hope those players play seriously at 100% so that Pakistan team know where they stand in this series.
DOnt want AUstralia playing subpar cricket and giving fasle hopes like they did during the ODI World Cup qualifiers.

Shan Masood looks worried for Cameron green. LOL

----------------------------------

Shan Masood speaking to the press ahead of the 4-day game against PM IX:

“For us, it has mainly been jet lag and a bit of rain, but we have been lucky that we got a full day of practice yesterday. It's a beautiful place with beautiful ground and an ideal way to start a tour, and we are looking really forward to it. I think it is very important, especially given the nature of the game. It is a first-class fixture, and we are playing against a side that is very well-equipped. They have a lot of Australian internationals and a lot of people knocking on that Australian door, so probably it is an ideal way for us to start against the world test champions. It is hard naming people because I think they have a few internationals, but Cameron Green is one of them who is in 14; somebody to look out for. He has all the potential to be a world-class all-rounder, and we are looking forward to coming up against him. Obviously, we want to face him; you want to play the best, but again, given the nature of the game, it's a competitive first-class fixture, and we are looking forward to it.”​
He is giving respect to the opposition.

Fans prove that Pakistani fans are never happy. A captain can be confident and he is ridiculed. A captain is respectful of the opposition and he is mocked.

He is giving respect to the opposition.

Fans prove that Pakistani fans are never happy. A captain can be confident and he is ridiculed. A captain is respectful of the opposition and he is mocked.
He just named 1 person, Cameron Green. what does that prove?
I am not saying that he is disrespectful but there are many other big names apart from green who will dismantle this Pakistani side.

Who is playing for Prime Minister's XI? I hope those players play seriously at 100% so that Pakistan team know where they stand in this series.
DOnt want AUstralia playing subpar cricket and giving fasle hopes like they did during the ODI World Cup qualifiers.
Nathan McSweeney (c), Cameron Bancroft, Jordan Buckingham, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Nathan McAndrew, Todd Murphy, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Beau Webster

That's a very strong squad. Several guys who will go 100% as they are a chance to force into the 1st test team or earn a Test in the later half of the summer - Green, Bancroft, Renshaw, Harris.

Murphy will play Tests if Lyon is injured. Steketee is regularly among the Shield best wicket takers and I think played some ODI cricket. Even a guy like Bau Webster has 9 FC hundreds and 99 FC wickets.

Between the 5/6 Test hopefuls they will make sure everyone else plays hard.

Manuka oval is in my hometown. It's similar to the old Adelaide- a flat batters track, slightly less bounce than some other Aus surfaces. Not usually a lot of swing at the ground, unless overhead conditions really suit.

Pakistan should really be going into that match with all guns blazing. Make this team look ordinary and gain some momentum before the tough task begins.

A competitive fC game means we have to play our test xi looking forward to see who we go with.

Prime Minister knows his stuff. Our PM probably thinks Kamran Akmal is still playing.

I just hope none of our batters score a hundred and none of our bowlers take a 5 wicket haul. Usually when that happens in Australia with Pakistani players, it means those players would fail big time in the tests.

I remember in the 90s when Pakistan toured Australia, Basit Ali scored a few hundreds in the practice matches and then didnt score anything meaningful in the tests. This is the same series when Warne bowled him around his legs on the last ball of the day.

One of the most beautiful trophies I have seen in recent times!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope none of our batters score a hundred and none of our bowlers take a 5 wicket haul. Usually when that happens in Australia with Pakistani players, it means those players would fail big time in the tests.

I remember in the 90s when Pakistan toured Australia, Basit Ali scored a few hundreds in the practice matches and then didnt score anything meaningful in the tests. This is the same series when Warne bowled him around his legs on the last ball of the day.

Wasn’t it Imran Khan Snr who bowled like prime McGrath in one of these warm up games?

“16 year old” Naseem also received a ton of hype.

Totally agree that these warm ups often provide a false reflection which leads to disappointment and humiliation when the real Aussie boys show up.

Wasn’t it Imran Khan Snr who bowled like prime McGrath in one of these warm up games?

“16 year old” Naseem also received a ton of hype.

Totally agree that these warm ups often provide a false reflection which leads to disappointment and humiliation when the real Aussie boys show up.
They can do but we've also struggled badly in these side matches.

On the 99 tour, our first warmup was in Perth. A balding, 50 year old Dennis Lillee and his son took 6 wickets helping to bundle us out for 168 :ROFLMAO:

This is a pretty strong PMs XI side and the match has FC status. This will be a high intensity match for sure. Not an easy warm up at all

I am intrigued by the XI they go with

I have a feeling 4 quicks will play Shaheen, Hassan, Khurram, Mir Hamza

The thing we should also be wary about that this is being played in Canberra. While the 1st Test is in Perth. Conditions will be very different.

Management like always maybe prone to selecting the XI in Perth test based on performances and conditions of this game. Then after the Perth test they will select a team based on Perth performances and conditions.

Not that these things will help prevent a series lose. But still small wins matter.

Pakistan won the toss and elected to bat first.

Australia PM XI

Marcus Harris, Cameron Bancroft, Matthew Renshaw, Cameron Green, Nathan McSweeney (c), Beau Webster, Jimmy Peirson (wk), Nathan McAndrew, Todd Murphy, Mark Steketee, Jordan Buckingham

Pakistan

Abdullah Shafique, Imam ul-Haq, Shan Masood (c), Babar Azam, Saud Shakeel, Sarfaraz Ahmed (wk), Faheem Ashraf, Aamir Jamal, Khurram Shahzad, Mir Hamza, Abrar Ahmed

Last edited:
Seems a decent squad choice that gives us the chance to see how our fast bowling options look on this pitch. It would be great for us if Faheem/Jamal find some good form as fast bowling all rounders will be very useful in this series.

I wish Rizwan had played, his record in Australia is quite good so I hope he is in our plans for this series.

So Pakistan have left out Rizwan and Agha and gone in with Imam and Faheem. That's the way they will probably go in the first test. Personally, I would have gone with Rizwan instead of Imam.

On the fast bowling front, seems like Pakistan's first choice attack is Shaheen, Hasan and Wasim jnr who are rested here.

Likely XI for Perth:

Abdullah
Imam
Shan
Babar
Saud
Sarfaraz
Faheem
Shaheen
Hasan
Wasim jnr
Abrar

Outfield is very slow, Imam over tried and forced shot getting inside edge.

First scalp for Pakistan as Imam gone after scoring 9 runs on a good batting surface.

Pakistan 20/1 after 9 Overs.

Very weird logic… just superstition lol.

so imam ul haq who is "one of the best player for Pakistan" lost his wicket to a nobody Jordan Buckingham
and i bet he got caught out to a bouncer

so imam ul haq who is "one of the best player for Pakistan" lost his wicket to a nobody Jordan Buckingham
and i bet he got caught out to a bouncer
Buckingham is being called as next big thing, bowls 150+, Imam got inside edge.

It's nice to see Pakistan resting Shaheen and going with Hamza/Jamal/Khurram instead to give them a proper to see what they can do.

Positive to see Faheem in the lineup, he makes a lot more sense on the team than Agha. They have to play 4 pacers.

The bad:

Sarfraz over Rizwan. Sarfraz outside of sub-continent conditions is a disasteer.
Imam playing in general. He is just so awful against short ball and any pitches that have bounce. Debuting Saim in Aussies conditions isn't ideal either.

At the drinks break Pakistan is 28/1 after 14 overs.

Abdullah Shafiq* 9 (24)
Shan Msood* 3 (12)

So they talked about playing positive cricket and they are 30 runs after 15 overs... against a PM XI

Have you ever seen Australia bat that slow on these pitches. Yes it will be hard, but you need to smash the new ball so the kookaburra goes soft and batting becomes easier.

Same problem as when Aus toured pakistan, they had a much better RR.

Imam is a cowardly batsman just like the rest of this batting line up. No surprises.

If PM XI is troubling us this much, it’s over. These boys haven’t faced bowling like this in their life in domestics

So Pakistan have left out Rizwan and Agha and gone in with Imam and Faheem. That's the way they will probably go in the first test. Personally, I would have gone with Rizwan instead of Imam.

On the fast bowling front, seems like Pakistan's first choice attack is Shaheen, Hasan and Wasim jnr who are rested here.

Likely XI for Perth:

Abdullah
Imam
Shan
Babar
Saud
Sarfaraz
Faheem
Shaheen
Hasan
Wasim jnr
Abrar
I think Wasim is missing out and Pakistan intents to go with both Faheem and Jamal

Imam is a cowardly batsman just like the rest of this batting line up. No surprises.

If PM XI is troubling us this much, it’s over. These boys haven’t faced bowling like this in their life in domestics
Wicket is more than a flat one.

I dont think that pakistan is going to take all of their wickets in this match.

a tough task for the bowlers.

Only watched 4 overs, and Pakistani's can't handle these domestic bowlers.

Shan is trying to be aggressive but is looking like a tail ender against pace, missing most of the deliveries, getting cramped when cutting the ball.

After 20 overs Pakistan is at 60/1

Abdullah Shafiq 9* (24)
Shan Masood 22* (32)

Both the batsmen are looking solid for now.

Are they genuinely going to play Sarfraz over Rizwan this series? That tubby can't keep to save his life. Our lot are going to be lucky to create like 5 wicket taking opportunities in a days play the last thing we need is this sack of potatoes dropping the ball.

So they talked about playing positive cricket and they are 30 runs after 15 overs... against a PM XI

Have you ever seen Australia bat that slow on these pitches. Yes it will be hard, but you need to smash the new ball so the kookaburra goes soft and batting becomes easier.

Same problem as when Aus toured pakistan, they had a much better RR.

It's now 69 runs in 22 runs.

Maybe chill a bit. Getting your eye in and getting used to the pace & bounce takes some time and every team does it unless you're facing Pakistani bowlers giving you easy half volleys or short & wide deliveries.

Imam tried 6 different shots to same ball.He is afraid of touching the ball with bat and he almost got out for the other 2 times when he used the bat.I don't think he will survive this tour and saim should be ready by Sydney.

Good session for Pakistan.
Another soft dismissal for Abdullah

Good start from Pakistan and overall great cricket played. Good start from Abdullah but poor shot to get out to. Pitch is tad slow compared to a typical Aus pitch and the outfield is incredibly slow. New ball was seaming around and both Imam and Abdullah did well to not needlessly attack and nick off. Imam does need to be dropped though, he is a clear weak link in a team that looks fairly solid.

Taking into the pitch and outfield into account, Pakistan are in a great position, Shan came in a bit troubled early on but has played some great positive cricket. Pakistan played some great shots that weren't translated into boundaries due to slow outfield so their score at the moment seems really good. The ball will keep a lot of its sheen due to the thick outfield but it does seem to have gotten softer, 20 overs to lunch and post lunch will be the best for batting. Really doubt if there would be any reverse swing in this game because of the thick outfield.

Astonished by the way a lot of posters are so quick to throw their team under the bus. This is a strong PM IX team with top domestic performers that are knocking at the selectors doors for Test debuts. This bowling line up would give most international teams a run for their money especially how they bowled today.

Overreactions. They're fine. But yes, Imam is a liability. I've been saying, Shan and AS should open with Babar at 3. But no Shan thinks he is some no.3 saviour right now. Dropping Imam and Shan opening gives Pak room for an extra batter in Rizwan or Agha.

Overreactions. They're fine. But yes, Imam is a liability. I've been saying, Shan and AS should open with Babar at 3. But no Shan thinks he is some no.3 saviour right now. Dropping Imam and Shan opening gives Pak room for an extra batter in Rizwan or Agha.

That's not why Shan is batting at 3 and he's been batting at 3 for quite sometime now and Babar is not. Why is that? It is because batting at #3 is not easy and doesn't generally yield high averages across cricket (unless you're Kane Williamson).
Babar at 3: 30 AVG in 10 Tests, 0 centuries
Babar at 4: 60.34 AVG in 27 Tests, 7 centuries

I think long-term, I see someone like Huraira batting at 3 and fitting quite well.

That's not why Shan is batting at 3 and he's been batting at 3 for quite sometime now and Babar is not. Why is that? It is because batting at #3 is not easy and doesn't generally yield high averages across cricket (unless you're Kane Williamson).
Babar at 3: 30 AVG in 10 Tests, 0 centuries
Babar at 4: 60.34 AVG in 27 Tests, 7 centuries

I think long-term, I see someone like Huraira batting at 3 and fitting quite well.
I was misinformed about Babar's stats at no. 3. Thank you for the education.

Agreed on Huraira. Can't wait to see him in the future.

Down the road, a top 5 of AS, Saim, Huraira, Babar, and Shakeel sounds very formidable.

I was misinformed about Babar's stats at no. 3. Thank you for the education.

Agreed on Huraira. Can't wait to see him in the future.

Down the road, a top 5 of AS, Saim, Huraira, Babar, and Shakeel sounds very formidable.

Absolutely no idea why Huraira is not on this tour. Just fast track his development.

Absolutely no idea why Huraira is not on this tour. Just fast track his development.
They replaced him with Saim who performed considerably better in the recent Quad-e-Azam trophy, which hardly says anything as his team was scoring scores of 500-700 for fun and Sarfraz was scoring double centuries on those roads. But Huraira didn't manage to do much in 8 matches on those same roads. I don't mind him not being with the team on this tough tour but unfortunately, I don't see him being with the team for a long time. As a top-order batsman, there's a lot of competition for him and currently, Ahmed Shehzad is even ahead of him for consideration. These aren't my opinions but what is apparent from the captain, coach and selector.

Jordan Buckingham has his 2nd wicket. Babar Azam is gone after scoring 40. Pakistan is 168/3 after 52.1 overs now.

Pitch is going to be doing a complete 180 in perth.

This is the slowest outfield i have ever seen, and the pitch is two paced with balls already going up and down. Not the ideal surface for Pakistan before Perth.

Have a look at this playing IX for pakistan. Good choice to play khurram, Hamza and jamal ahead of others. Batting looks weak but it is a tour game so cannot say much.

1701835828871.png

Australia not playing much hyped Lance morris but many famikiar names in this playing IX.

1701836034773.png

FOUR Day Match 6-9 Dec at Manuka Oval:

Pakistan vs Prime Minister's XI:

DAY 1- Tea

Pakistan: 181- 3 in 56 overs, Shan Masood 81 not out, Babar Azam 40, Abdullah Shafique 38. Mark Steketee 1-33, Jordan Bukingham 2-33

Critical period of the innings - if they get past 250+ then that would be great - Shan looking good for a 100...

Getting past 350 should be the aim for these batters. Shan is just 2 runs away from his century so that is a good sign for the new test skipper.

Shan Masood has got to his hundred with a 60+ strike rate. A good early sign for the skipper. Fabulous inning for far from him.
Pakistan is 214/3.

Excellent start from Shan, let's hope that he'll be able to perform the same way against Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins.

Saud Shakeel is gone after scoring 13.
Pakistan is 4 down now for 215 runs.

The shot that Saud played and got out to, looked like a shot of a tail-ender. not getting close to the ball and chopping it on his stump looking clueless.

Imam is the weakest link in the current batting line up. Team management must go with Saim or any other combination in first 2 tests.

Shan Masood should get out and and go back to the pavilion, instead of batting longer and giving the AUssie analysts more time to analyze him.

He will be brutally exposed in the Test Series. Mark my worlds. He should just see the pitch, the bowlers, the conditions, and go back... not bat all day and let the opposition analyze him inside out.

Shan Masood has emerged as the best batter ATM in this batting line-up. Pakistan team going nice and strong with 119 runs from skipper Shan and Sarfraz Ahmed batting at 16 runs.

This 4 day game is useless. Cricket Australia as usual not giving a level playing field to touring sides in Australia. This wicket and attack is no where near representative of the conditions and bowling attack Pakistan will be up against in Perth.

Shan got century then why he continue batting
Should give chance to other batters

Pakistan cannot afford to play Imam if he continues to get out early and we haven't even seen him against short ball stuff.

Shan has no issues scoring against journeyman FC level bowlers his country stats are testament to that he fails to make the grade up when he is up against A level bowlers.

Sarfraz and his sweep shots. Nice combo. Pakistan is 278/4.

Sarfraz Ahmed departs for 41. 3 soft dismissals today for Pakistan. Getting out down the leg side is never really a bowler's wicket. Pakistan is 287/5 now

Back