A thread to register new cricket records

DHONI183

A departed friend who will live in our memories fo
Runs
Post of the Week
The purpose of this thread is not to recall any old set records, but to register all those that are set (recently or) after the creation of this thread.

Let me mention a few from the recent days:

* Sohag Gazi became the first player in Test cricket to score a century and to take a hat-trick in international cricket (http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-new-zealand-2013-14/engine/match/668949.html).

And from yesterday´s match (http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013-14/engine/match/647251.html):

* India's score of 362 for one is the highest total achieved for the loss of one wicket or fewer in an ODI.

* Australia's innings was the first instance of all top five batsmen making more than 50 in an ODI.

* For Australia, Clint McKay, Shane Watson, Glenn Maxwell and James Faulkner bowled the most expensive spells of their careers in this match. Ravindra Jadeja too bowled his most expensive ODI spell ever. Not verified, but this should be a record too (of most bowlers bowling their career´s most expensive spells), if not for one team. Anyways, we can choose to stick to the above ones for now.

..... And from yesterday´s match (http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013-14/engine/match/647251.html):

* India's score of 362 for one is the highest total achieved for the loss of one wicket or fewer in an ODI.

* Australia's innings was the first instance of all top five batsmen making more than 50 in an ODI.

* For Australia, Clint McKay, Shane Watson, Glenn Maxwell and James Faulkner bowled the most expensive spells of their careers in this match. Ravindra Jadeja too bowled his most expensive ODI spell ever. Not verified, but this should be a record too (of most bowlers bowling their career´s most expensive spells), if not for one team. Anyways, we can choose to stick to the above ones for now.

* Virat Kohli´s 52-ball hundred is the fastest not to win the Man of the Match award. *Deep thinking!*

M Hafeez - the first player to help his team win a test match by not even being present on the field.. we could have history in the making here.

Majid Khan's bashing of Hafeez continues :)) brilliant stuff.

M Hafeez - the first player to help his team win a test match by not even being present on the field.. we could have history in the making here.

Zinda hathi lakh ka or mera hua hathi? ;)

*Khurram Manzoor scored the first ton for a Pakistani opener against South Africa after Imran Farhat's in 2003*

*Misbah-ul-Haq scored the first hundred for a Pakistani captain against SA*

Last edited by a moderator:
Last four times when Pakistan and SA have gone up against each other the match was decided before the 5th day. Must be some kind of record perhaps.

Sticking to the international records will be..... nice:).

*Khurram Manzoor scored the first ton for a Pakistani opener after Imran Farhat's in 2003*

*Misbah-ul-Haq scored the first hundred for a Pakistani captain against SA*

The first one is dead wrong for a surety! Think again. Or maybe it's a case of mistyping (?).

Just a suggestion, change the title to something like "The records thread", "Cricket archive", etc etc.

Would look nicer.

Current thread title is a bit amateurish :hafeez

Just a suggestion, change the title to something like "The records thread", "Cricket archive", etc etc.

Would look nicer.

Current thread title is a bit amateurish :hafeez

I understand, but the point made in the opening post itself is, that old records shouldn´t be included in this thread given that there have existed many threads in the past for such things. The purpose of this thread is to keep a track of the records that will be set in the future, hence....

* Virat Kohli now has four centuries in successful run chases of 300-plus target. Definitely a record! Some hardly have as many centuries whilst batting in the second innings!

Are you being sarcastic? Are you making fun of it because of Farhat?
OR
Is it really wrong?
I think it is the former.

Openers like Mohammad Hafeez, Taufeeq Umar etc. have scored centuries for Pakistan in Test cricket between the period you have referred to. In fact, even Imran Farhat scored after 2003 I believe.

Openers like Mohammad Hafeez, Taufeeq Umar etc. have scored centuries for Pakistan in Test cricket between the period you have referred to. In fact, even Imran Farhat scored after 2003 I believe.

:O Ooops. I just realized that a I forgot to put South Africa in that sentence.
Can you edit it? Make it-*Khurram Manzoor scored the first ton for a Pakistani opener against South Africa after Imran Farhat's in 2003* THANKS.

Last edited:
:O Ooops. I just realized that a I forgot to put South Africa in that sentence.
Can you edit it? Make it-*Khurram Manzoor scored the first ton for a Pakistani opener against South Africa after Imran Farhat's in 2003* THANKS.

Done!

Ajmal- fastest Pakistani spinner to reach 150 test wickets and second overall after Waqar Younis reached in 27 to Ajmal's 29 matches.

Last edited:
Australia is the only team to lose an ODI after scoring 350 batting first.And they have done it THREE times now :kohli

Gazi has and will always have the best of records - unbeaten test 100, 5 wicket haul also including a hat-trick = DREAM!!! moment.

Just in!

George Bailey has now scored the most runs by a captain in a bilateral series - told by Alan Wilkins in the commentary box.

Surely India must have made a record by conceding 3 300+ scores in a bilateral.. they missed out the 4th one by just 5 runs

Surely India must have made a record by conceding 3 300+ scores in a bilateral.. they missed out the 4th one by just 5 runs

Do you remember the home series against Sri Lanka back in 2009? India conceded two scores above 300, one above 400 and yet won two of those three matches. MS Dhoni`s first century in losing cause came in of those three matches where India couldn't defend the total. From what I remember, he was dropped on 99 which allowed him to complete the 100th run. I think it was Suraj Randiv`s debut and he dismissed Sachin Tendulkar in it, stumped I think.

*Unlike the kids nowadays, my memory is as strong as the websites that keep the records of such things.*

Just to add, we both got our statistics wrong: India have in fact conceded four scores of 300 plus and not three. SHOULD PROBABLY BE A RECORD I am sure.

Last edited:
Just in!

George Bailey has now scored the most runs by a captain in a bilateral series - told by Alan Wilkins in the commentary box.

He has now scored over 460 runs in this series in five innings which I can assure you all is a record for a bilateral series. The previous record was either held by Kevin Pietersen or equalled with Chris Gayle.

*My memory!*

Ravindra Jadeja got two wickets today against Australia (in the sixth ODI) off the no-balls. Should be a record for one match:D.

Australia is the only team to lose an ODI after scoring 350 batting first.And they have done it THREE times now :kohli

Add four:)))! ! * Twice in this series which too of course has happened for the first time.

* Virat Kohli now has four centuries in successful run chases of 300-plus target. Definitely a record! Some hardly have as many centuries whilst batting in the second innings!.....

* Virat Kohli is the only man to have scored two centuries whilst chasing 350 or more, and both came in victories.

He has now scored over 460 runs in this series in five innings which I can assure you all is a record for a bilateral series. The previous record was either held by Kevin Pietersen or equalled with Chris Gayle.

*My memory!*

no its actually Hamiton Masakadza v Kenya

Do you remember the home series against Sri Lanka back in 2009? India conceded two scores above 300, one above 400 and yet won two of those three matches. MS Dhoni`s first century in losing cause came in of those three matches where India couldn't defend the total. From what I remember, he was dropped on 99 which allowed him to complete the 100th run. I think it was Suraj Randiv`s debut and he dismissed Sachin Tendulkar in it, stumped I think.

*Unlike the kids nowadays, my memory is as strong as the websites that keep the records of such things.*

Just to add, we both got our statistics wrong: India have in fact conceded four scores of 300 plus and not three. SHOULD PROBABLY BE A RECORD I am sure.

you remember random India-SL games?:O

Hear, hear!

:p

no its actually Hamiton Masakadza v Kenya

Oh` thanks. I don't follow those matches between such teams, hence..... Did you check it or did your memory help you out? *That's the point!* The players I mentioned must be there on the second or third place I believe.

you remember random India-SL games?:O

They form my favourite battle in cricket. I in fact do the radio commentary for the matches between India and Sri Lanka on Random Nonsense Radio Station.

Okay, this is not any new set record (I therefore apologise in advance for violating the thread rules), but it requires deep, very deep thinking to be able to come up with the one below to glorify MS Dhoni:

*MS Dhoni has the highest individual score in any format whilst not representing his national team in an official game. Back in 2007, he hit 139 not out against the Africa XI in the Afro-Asia Cup. Since he was a wicket keeper too, it doubles up the record.

Not an innings that had much of a meaning, but was one very entertaining knock.

Scorecard:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/289110.html

:msd

mominul haq fastest to score.500 in tests beating Don bradmans record. Add to that he has the highest run count for a batsman after 5 matches :D

Misbah-ul-Haq has now become the first Pakistani captain to score a thousand runs in a calendar year (ODIs)

mominul haq fastest to score.500 in tests beating Don bradmans record. Add to that he has the highest run count for a batsman after 5 matches :D
Damn, damn damn. any time you get one of Bradman's record you are special. Can't wait for him to learn how to deal with fast pitches.

*Virat Kohli is the only player to have scored five successive scores of 50-plus on two separate occasions

The series which pretty much made this thread come into existence has ended with some further records.....

* Rohit Sharma hit 16 sixes which is a record now, going past the earlier set record of 15 by Shane Watson.

* 38 sixes were hit today.... Yes, a record!

* In the list of fastest centuries, of the top 13 on the list, three belong to this ODI series.

Also, Rohit's innings was the second highest ODI score ever. The top 3 on the list are Indians now

* A century off just 57 balls by James Faulkner is the fastest to come in losing cause.

* Faulkner`s 116 is the highest score for a number seven batsman whilst representing his national side - MS Dhoni got 139 not out playing for the Asia XI, an innings already mentioned above.

* The 300-run barrier was crossed nine times in the aforementioned series.

* The teams got to 350 or more five times. The previous record was only two:))).

* 3596 runs were scored in the whole series..... *Not a record - falls on the fourth place overall.*

* Rohit Sharma now holds the record for most runs in a bilateral series - 491.

* George Bailey holds the record for having got them all in a lost series:))) - 478.

* Of the 38 sixes hit yesterday, both teams shared also the innings record of 19 sixes.

Last edited:
* Rohit Sharma hit 23 sixes in the aforemention series against Australia - a record.

He went past Shane Watson who hit some 20 sixes against Bangladesh in a three ODI series in 2011. He back then crossed MS Dhoni´s record of 18, which came against Sri Lanka in that series in which he scored 183 not out - the innings behind my username.

To be honest records made in this series should be erased. It is not fair for bowlers.

To be honest records made in this series should be erased. It is not fair for bowlers.

Have some more, my friend.....

* 107 sixes in a bilateral series is a record, going past the previous best of 62!

* Vinay Kumar became the first man to get hit for a century and yet end up on the winning side:))).

For the first time ever, a "top 8" team has lost to a 'minnow' in ODIs 7 times in a row :)))

For the first time ever, a "top 8" team has lost to a 'minnow' in ODIs 7 times in a row :)))

Is this a reference to New Zealand and their horror record against Bangladesh of late?

* Rohit Sharma´s score of 177 is the highest on debut by a batsman batting at number six (in Test cricket).

* Rohit Sharma played the most number of ODI matches (108) before playing his first Test match, which is a record now, going past the previous record of 97 ODIs set by Suresh Raina.

* Sachin Tendulkar becomes the first player to play 200 Test matches. :)

* Sachin Tendulkar becomes the first player to play 200 Test matches. :)

Probably the only one in the history who will ever have achieved this feat.

Afterall, he has had a long career. Add to that, test cricket wont be played too often in the future

* MS Dhoni yesterday became the wicket keeper to captain in 150 ODI matches.

* Hoping that they both stay fit, Michael Clarke and Alastair Cook will become the first two captains to play their 100th Test match in the same match at Perth in the third Test of the ongoing Ashes Test series.

very good thread .... :14:

:)

* Pakistan and South Africa played 25 international cricket matches against each other this year! This should surely be a record I reckon (unconfirmed). I don't think that even India and Sri Lanka have ever played that often in a year.

* Two ODI series were played between two teams in one country (South Africa) in a single year, and exactly the same is the case with the T20I cricket played between Pakistan and South Africa this year. I don't think I have ever witnessed this in my lifetime. We will keep it unconfirmed however.

Link to the thread where it has been discussed:
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=192071

Last edited:
* Indian bowlers have conceded 10 scores of 300 or more this year, going past their own previous 'best' of nine in year 2009 (one of which was a 400 plus total).

^ http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=192618 ^

* After making 342 runs against India, Quinton de Kock now holds the record for most number of runs scored in a three-match ODI series. He went past Martin Guptill´s earlier set record of 330.

^ http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=192605 ^

* De Kock also becomes the first wicket keeper to make three consecutive centuries in ODI cricket.

^ http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=192608 ^

Now, I just feel that the above should be a record irrespective of the format.

* Misbah-ul-Haq yesterday scored his 14th ODI fifty of this year - a record previously held by Sachin Tendulkar and Gary Kirsten (who scored a few centuries as well of course which made it a record for most fifty plus scores). Without any centuries, Graeme Smith, Younis Khan and Sourav Ganguly had earlier scored 12 each.

Note: Misbah now has ended with 15 fifties this year.

* Shivnarine Chanderpaul now has 17 centuries in Test cricket in which he has stayed unbeaten - a record previously held by Tendulkar.

* MS Dhoni is currently captaining in his 50th Test match - record for a wicket keeper by a long, long, long way! Andy Flower captained in 16 Test matches.

Last edited:
* Both wicket keepers (AB de Villiers and MS Dhoni) bowled in the ongoing Johannesburg Test Match which is first such instance (i.e., of two wicket keepers bowling in a match).

we nearly saw a world record today only for South Africa to fall short

* Corey Anderson did it! I don't think a detailed description is required here what I am referring to.

* Corey Anderson did it! I don't think a detailed description is required here what I am referring to.

Continuing with the above, there´s quite a lot to be reported from that particular ODI match....

* West Indies used six bowlers, and none of them were spared. This was the first instance of five or more bowlers from a team having an economy of 10 or more in an ODI.

* New Zealand hit a six every 5.7 balls - a record by miles as far as the frequency is concerned.

* They also hit a record 22 sixes for an ODI team innings.

Last edited:
* Brad Haddin has hit six 50-plus scores in the ongoing Ashes series. It is a record by a number seven batsman in a Test series.

* In the today concluded Ashes series, Brad Haddin scored 493 runs which is a record for a number seven batsman in a Test series.

Adam Gilchrist had previously scored 473 runs batting at number seven against South Africa (more than a decade ago) in just three Test matches (five innings for him). Here is the most astonishing statistic: he got them of just 474 balls (one ball more than the runs he got)! Wow! I am stunned!

* By chasing 302 in 57.3 overs in the third Test against Sri Lanka today, Pakistan have set the record for the fastest (successful) 300-plus run-chase (in terms of run-rate, which was 5.25) in the history of Test cricket.

In other words, the highest run-rate achieved in the fourth innings in a successful 300-plus run-chase.

I am stunned, and so are the rest of us I would assume:14:!

Last edited:
* In the today concluded Ashes series, Brad Haddin scored 493 runs which is a record for a number seven batsman in a Test series.

Adam Gilchrist had previously scored 473 runs batting at number seven against South Africa (more than a decade ago) in just three Test matches (five innings for him). Here is the most astonishing statistic: he got them of just 474 balls (one ball more than the runs he got)! Wow! I am stunned!

Incidentally, this is Sachin's highest aggregate in a test series.

* In the third ODI between New Zealand and India today, India´s batsman number six, seven and eight all scored fifties. A first such instance in ODI cricket.

Dhoni now has most sixes(266) in International cricket by any Indian. (surpassing Sachin's record of 264)

* In the third Test match between Pakistan and Sri Lanka, Rangana Herath became the first player ever to collect a king pair (first ball ducks in both innings) and also concede 100 runs in an innings - this too he did in both the innings!

* Cameron White made 174 runs in the T20I series against England which concluded today, which is the record for most runs in a bilateral series.

Here´s another one:)))!

* Jade Dernbach conceded 141 runs in the same series which is also a record for a bilateral series.

* Cameron White made 174 runs in the T20I series against England which concluded today, which is the record for most runs in a bilateral series.

Here´s another one:)))!

* Jade Dernbach conceded 141 runs in the same series which is also a record for a bilateral series.

And Cameron White still is only 50/50 to play in the World T20

* The sixth wicket partnership of 352 between Brendon McCullum and BJ Watling is now a record in Test cricket.

The previous one of 351 between the two Jayawerdenes (Mahela and Prasanna) was also against India in year 2009.

Last edited:
By having already made 514 runs in the ongoing series against India, Brendon McCullum now holds the record for most runs by a captain in a two-Test match series. He is not out on 281 mind you.....

By having already made 514 runs in the ongoing series against India, Brendon McCullum now holds the record for most runs by a captain in a two-Test match series. He is not out on 281 mind you.....

whats the highest overall?can't be out of reach

whats the highest overall?can't be out of reach

974 my boy:))), by Don Bradman!

810 as captain. The name of the criminal is the same.

974 in a two match series?:O :)))

Oh´ no, I thought you meant overall in a Test series regardless of the number of matches.

The overall record for a two-Test match series is of 571 by Sanath Jayasuriya, against your beloved trundlers in 1997:nehra.

Oh´ no, I thought you meant overall in a Test series regardless of the number of matches.

The overall record for a two-Test match series is of 571 by Sanath Jayasuriya, against your beloved trundlers in 1997:nehra.

I meant including non captains by overall.

hmmm.57 away.should get there.How awesome would be occupy top two positions:nehra

* New Zealand made 680 (for the loss of eight wickets) which is the highest team total in the second innings of a Test match.

* Brendon McCullum´s triple century is the first by a batsman in the second innings at home. The record doubles up considering that he was the captain as well.

* Hence, the first triple century in the second innings at home by a captain.

So he made 302, adding 21 further to his score. Thus, he ends with 535 runs in the series.

I meant including non captains by overall.

Ah´ okay:).

Last edited:
thanks for giving the credit behan ji....

Myself being called "sister" is also the first instance on the forum, thus adding another record to the thread.

Back