A thread to study words and their origins

DHONI183

A departed friend who will live in our memories fo
Runs
Post of the Week
I think I was hijacking the other thread and somewhat derailing it from its original topic, thus thought of adding a new one.

A thread to study words and there origins

It won´t be a bad idea to start by highlighting a few from the other thread:

.... The English word 'neck' comes from the Arabic word "al-nakk", 'cause' from the Hindi word "kaaj".

^ http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showpost.php?p=6222825&postcount=71 ^

what is the origin of word soor [pig] ?
Sanskrit probably, as it is "khanzeer" in Arabic and "khok" in Persian.

The word that shows up in Sanskrit is "sukar".

^ http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showpost.php?p=6229244&postcount=75 ^

Sanskrit probably, as it is "khanzeer" in Arabic and "khok" in Persian.

The word that shows up in Sanskrit is "sukar".
Hmmm..... This also somewhat leads me to the conclusion that the English word "hog" could well have come from the Persian language.

^ http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showpost.php?p=6229244&postcount=75 ^

Just makes me wonder whether the Urdu word "aurat" (woman/female) is derived from the Arabic word "awrah", which I suppose is used for the private parts.

Will be nice if an Arabic speaker has anything to add to this half-hearted suggestion.

The word Apocalypse comes the greek Apo (un-) and Calupso (veil), meaning the day when the veil gets lifted. People use it indifferently with the word Cataclysm (cata is same as from catabolism, towards the bottom) or catastrophe (strofê= turn, it is used in the same sense as a group of verse. Funnily enough, verse comes from latin vertere, to turn, so a strophe is a turn of turns but I digress) when the meaning is completely different, somewhat neutral, if not positive even.

Some sanskrit words used in Urdu/Hindi

Safed (White) : Shweth
Hafta (week) : Saptah
Barkha (rain) : Varsha
Praa (brother) : Bratha
Suraj (sun) : Surya
Chand (moon) : Chandrama
Haath (hand) : Hasth
Kaam (work) : karm
Kutta (dog) : Kukkur
Kauwa(crow) : kaaga
jeeb (tongue) : jeeviya
Raat (night) : Raatri
Din (day) : Dinak
Aik (one) : aikam
Do (two) : Dwi
Teen (3) : Tre
Char, 4 : Chatur
Paanch,5 : Pancham
Chhe,6 : Shash
Saat,7 : Sapta
Aaath,8 : Ashtam
Nau,9 : Navam
Das,10 : Dasham
Gaay (cow) : Gau
Log (People) : Lok'a
Dood (milk) : Dugdha
Bahen (sister) : Baghini
Nayaa (new) : Naveen
Patta (leaf) : Patra
Kaan (ear) : Karn
Naakh (Nose) : Naasika
Baazu (arm) : Bujha/Baahu
Daud (run) : Druta
Kandha (Shoulder) : Skhandha
Gardhan (Neck) : Kandhara
Ungli (finger) : Anguli
Som (Monday) : Somavar
Mangal (Tuesday) : Mangalvar
Budh (Wednesday) : Budhvar
Khaana (to eat) : Khaadati (Khaad)
Tyarna (to swim) : Tarati
Peena (to drink) : Pibati
Panchhi (bird) : Pakshi

Remember reading that "virtue" comes from the Latin "virtus" where the root "vir" means man(ly), itself from an Indo-European cognate which equates "brave" in the sense of warrior, see "veera" (man) in Sanskrit (hero like Veerabhadra.)

Basically "virtue" in the higher Indo-European/Atlantian/Japhetic spiritualities was linked with a warrior-like virility, but since Paulinian Christianity "virtue" has a feminine dimension (of moral submission.)

I have been taught that vir, viris in latin is not the word for man in general but for man with quality, ie free man or brave man. A slave is a homo and not a vir. It is similar to bear, giving bar, giving free/brave man: baron.

Also, the feminine dimension of virtutis is not necessarily christian. It was already a feminine word in Latin, although, it is true, used more to describe men.

Last edited:
Hmmm..... This also somewhat leads me to the conclusion that the English word "hog" could well have come from the Persian language.

This somewhat leads me to the conclusion that English and Persian hail from the same lingustic group and neither comes from the other but both have a common origin.

"Jamshed" is another form of the Indo-Iranian God-king Yima, might be related to Yama in Hinduism, God of death (for trundlers). :nj :nehra

"Akhtar" is an old name of the Iranian prophet Zoroaster (Zoro-aster = Zara-akhtar in Avestan language which roughly means "the brilliant star", but it's only one of the interpretations) :akhtar

Babur and Timur are supposed to be sanskrit names too. Sikkander is the persanisation of Alexander (ander=man).

BTW, is Akhter your name? If yes, how do you feel after zoroastze?

Last edited:
Barbarian.

Comes from the greek word that is pronounced as barbaros. Literally used for those who were not Greek in the ancient times (because anything non-Greek sounded like "barb barb barb") to them..

The only one I could remember off the top of my head :)

Juggernaut : unstoppable destructive force

The etymological root is Jagannatha (lord of the universe), a Sanskrit epithet for the deity, made up of Jag-an, which means cosmos, and natha, signifying lord.

It makes more sense to use the Hindi equivalent of days of the week but I would like to know where it`s Urdu version originated from

Sunday raviwar became itwar
Monday Saumwar became peer
Saturday Shanivar became hafta
Thursday whatever it is called in Hindi became Jumayraat

Has it been Islamed ? :moyo

Jumayraat is obviously the night of jumma, from arab. And we still use saumwar.

Some sanskrit words used in Urdu/Hindi

Ungli (finger) : Angul
Som (Monday) : Somavar
Mangal (Tuesday) : Mangalvar
Budh (Wednesday) : Budhvar

These 4 words are in Punjabi and 100% similar to Sanskrit.

It makes more sense to use the Hindi equivalent of days of the week but I would like to know where it`s Urdu version originated from

Ravi = Sun in Sanksrit.
Ravi - war = Sun-Day.
The Itwar means end of the week. Ithi in Sanskrit means end. Hence Itwar = End of week or again Sunday.
Monday is named after God Soma.
Thursday is Guruwar in Sanskrit.
In most Indian languages, the names of the week are pretty much the same barring the accent attached to it.

TO BE STUMPED
Meaning: Lost for words. Unable to find a solution (and nothing to do with cricket)
Origin: When land was being cleared to lay down train tracks and the workers came across a tree stump, it would cause a dilemma or "to be stumped."

PAY THROUGH THE NOSE
Meaning: To pay the maximum. to pay too much.
Origin: When the Danes conquered Ireland, they imposed high taxes on the island's inhabitants. They took a census of the population by counting noses of people, and was known as the Nose Tax. Those who refused or could'nt pay their tax had their noses actually slit. Paying the tax was "paying trough the nose."

I'VE GOT A FROG IN MY THROAT
Meaning: Can't speak properly due to sore throat.
Origin: Nothing to do with the croaking sound of a cold-sufferer's voice. In the Middle Ages, throat infections were sometimes treated by putting a live frog head first into the patient's mouth; when the frog inhaled it was thought to suck the infection out of the persons throat. Hence the term "frog in one's throat."

“Penguin”
comes from the Welsh pen meaning “head” and gwyn meaning “white.”

Tragedy” comes from the Greek τραγῳδία (tragodia) meaning the song of the male goat. The ancient Greeks thought goats were crazy sad, apparently

“Mortgage” comes from the Old French mort (dead) and gage (pledge). Mortgage literally means "Death Pledge". Very apt considering the way banks treat those who default on their payments.

"Tragedy"
comes from the Greek word tragōidia meaning goat-song.

I would suggest that a week is a Western or Chritian/ Jewish concept, from the story of God creating the world in seven days. Indian calenders only had Year, Month and fortnight. When introduced in India they were translated where possible (Sunday/ Ravivaar), (Mo(o)nday/ Somvar). Thursday is considered Jupiters day which became brihaspati (the same planet in hindi?).

Deus, Divine, Diva, Deva, Dev all come from a common root.

Last edited:

Fascinating, fascinating posts and addition to this thread! Thanks a ton guys and please keep contributing.

When I added this thread, one thing I definitely was sure about was, that even if this thread was a building with a time bomb in it, poster AkheR would still enter it:msd.

Barbarian.

Comes from the greek word that is pronounced as barbaros. Literally used for those who were not Greek in the ancient times (because anything non-Greek sounded like "barb barb barb") to them..

The only one I could remember off the top of my head :)

I found this to be the most interesting one!

The Punjabi word "peerr" (pain) comes from the Sanskrit language (pronounced like "peerrah"), and so does the word "puttar" (son) from the Sanskrit word "putra".

'chit' comes from Hindi/Urdu word 'chitthi' meaning letter

Dacoit from 'dakait' meaning bandit

Lantern from 'laal ten' meaning torch/lighting device

Is thread ki tareef ke liye mere pass shabdh nahi hai

Mahodey! Eik leykhak ho kar bhi aapko shabdo´n ka prayog nahi´n karna ata? Bahut kheyd ki baat hai ye tou.....

Aur haa´n, agr pransana mann se ki ho tou shabd bhi aa jayeinge.....

The Hindi word "Gamcha" meaning towel comes from the iconic Assamese garment - "Gamusa." "Ga" is Assamese for "Body" and "Musa" means "to wipe," i.e. a cloth to wipe the body.

The word vandal comes from the Germanic tribe of the Vandals that were one of many tribes to conquer the falling Western Roman Empire.

The word byzantine (used to describe game of thrones like politics and intrigue) comes from the Byzantine Empire (the Eastern Roman Empire) which was infamous for such politics and civil war.

The modern name Istanbul is actually derived from a Medieval Greek phrase "to the city". Given that the then named Constantinople was the biggest city in the region (and at times the world) as well as the Imperial Capital it was normally the said city. The Turks adopted the name Istanbul officialy but it was already the commonly used name fro the city.

The 'Wal' in Wales comes from the Celtic tribe known as the Volcae (Walh). This was the first celtic tribe the ancient Germannic tribes came into contact with and Walh came to mean foreigner.

This is why the Wal exists in the names of many places that border lands settles by Germannic peoples- Wales, Cornwall, Wallonia and Wallachia (of Count Dracula fame).

The name Albion (archaic name for England) comes from the Latin word Albus (white) and refers to the white cliffs of Dover.

The name Europe is derived from the Greek myth of Europa, who was a Phoenician Princess who was abducted by Zeus and taken to Crete.

The word Atlas comes from the Greek myth of the Titan Atlas who had to hold up the sky as punishment for fighting the gods.

"Fall off the wagon":

To be in the drunken state necessary for murderers to get from the Old Bailey court to the gallows at Marble Arch. If a bit drunk they would stay on the wagon in a controllable state by the gaolers. If too drunk they would fall off.

"Gone west" derives from the same process.

Ravi = Sun in Sanksrit.
Ravi - war = Sun-Day.
The Itwar means end of the week. Ithi in Sanskrit means end. Hence Itwar = End of week or again Sunday.
Monday is named after God Soma.
Thursday is Guruwar in Sanskrit.
In most Indian languages, the names of the week are pretty much the same barring the accent attached to it.
Interesting and makes sense

what about hafta ( saturday ) and peer ( monday ) then :manzoor

kia shabd aayega - tell me where harami came from btw :)))

I want to know how sala became a profanity . :asad

Interesting and makes sense

what about hafta ( saturday ) and peer ( monday ) then :manzoor

I want to know how sala became a profanity . :asad

I think Hafta comes from the word Saptah (Means 7 in Sanskrit) which denotes 7 days of a week. Arabs could not say Saptah and probably called it Haftah just like Sindh became Hind :kaneria

Have no idea how hafta became saturday and never heard of the word peer except in peer babas etc.

May be hafta and peer has a different meaning in Arabic and Urdu adopted those words?

It is neither Arabic nor Farsi

Arabic :
ArabicDaysoftheWeek.jpg

Farsi :

Persian Pronunciation English
šanbe Saturday
yekšanbe Sunday
došanbe Monday
sešanbe Tuesday
cahâršanbe Wednesday
panjšanbe Thursday
jom'e Friday

Peer / hafta is used informally while baroze peer baroze hafta is used formally in Urdu .

Last edited:
And who knew Shami Kabab actually mean Syrian Kebobs in English , made by Syrian cooks for the Moghuls ? :inzi I do wonder if anything like this is eaten in Syria itslef ?

As a rule of thumb, you can consider any "arab" cultural achievement to be of persian or indian origin and be right most times.

Mother -> Mater (Latin) -> Matr (Sanskrit)
Father -> Pater (Latin) -> Pitr (Sanskrit)

Dyaus Pitr (Sanskrit) for Father God -> Dyaus became Zeus in Greece and DyuPiter (Jupiter) in Rome.
Dios is still the word used for God all over Europe.

Kami-kaze means "wind (kaze) of God (kami)" in Japanese. The Kamikazes were the famous Japanese soldiers launching aerial suicide attacks on American naval forces during WWII, and their title suggest the religious motives behind the act.
Kami-na means "names of God". :rana

The 'Wal' in Wales comes from the Celtic tribe known as the Volcae (Walh). This was the first celtic tribe the ancient Germannic tribes came into contact with and Walh came to mean foreigner.

Walhaz means "non German" (generally Celts) from Germanic tribes POV (we have Walloon's here in Belgium.)
That also means that the Welsh, Irish an Scottish were the original inhabitants whereas English (Angles) an invading Germanic tribe. :bumble

The Franks are also a Germanic tribe which invaded Gallo-Roman lands, so that's quite ironic that the traditional European rivalries (as much in war than in cultural and scientific achievements) were between England, France and Germany.

The name Albion (archaic name for England) comes from the Latin word Albus (white) and refers to the white cliffs of Dover.

Wasn't England's called "Albania" (the white island) once ?

Can you name some famous muslim Persian scientists?

Nearly all of them.

The Persians, during the Golden Age of the Islamic civilization, attained such degree of intellectual perfection that I can only think of two ethnic groups comparable (in terms of scientific achievements per capita, not talking about the +1 billion countries which export doctors/engineers to the/gets brain-drained by the West), namely Scottish inventors during and post Industrial Revolution and - of course - Ashkenazi Jews.

Last edited:
Nearly all of them.

The Persians, during the Golden Age of the Islamic civilization, attained such degree of intellectual perfection that I can only think of two ethnic groups comparable (in terms of scientific achievements per capita, not talking about the +1 billion countries which export doctors/engineers to the/gets brain-drained by the West), namely Scottish inventors during and post Industrial Revolution and - of course - Ashkenazi Jews.

What do we mean by persian here? Only people from Iran? Or Ethinically persian? Or anyone who speak Iranian language?

What do we mean by persian here? Only people from Iran? Or Ethinically persian? Or anyone who speak Iranian language?

Iranians = linguistic/cultural group (Baloch and Pashtuns are "technically" Iranians. Then you have Persians, Tajiks, Kurds, ...)

Persians = one ethnic Iranian group (generally the most influential.)

For instance the Shah of Iran, heir to the Pehlavi dynasty which was younger than Coca Cola, was an Iranian, but not a Persian, considering that he was half Azeri (an Iranian group some say was originally from Turkic from Central ASia) and half Mazandarani (a tiny minority... as numerous as the Kalashas in Pakistan.)

Last edited:
Iranians = linguistic/cultural group (Baloch and Pashtuns are "technically" Iranians. Then you have Persians, Tajiks, Kurds, ...)

Persians = one ethnic Iranian group (generally the most influential.)

For instance the Shah of Iran, heir of the Pehlavi dynasty which was younger than Coca Cola, was an Iranian, but not a Persian, considering that he was half Azeri (a Turkic Iranian group) and half Mazandarani (a tiny minority... as numerous as the Kalashas in Pakistan.)

So Khawarizmi and Ibn Sena both Uzbeks are not ethinically persians but spoke Iranian language just like pashtuns and baloch?

So Khawarizmi and Ibn Sena both Uzbeks are not ethinically persians but spoke Iranian language just like pashtuns and baloch?

I think back then there was no difference between "Persian" and "Iranian", that's a modern construction.

For instance "Tajiks" never called themselves "Tajiks". It was their Turkic neighbours who called them like that whereas they preferred (or perhaps still prefer) "Farsi-wan".
There are differences in their language, but as "big" as between different dialects of Punjabi.
Even ethnically they are a bit different but, again, in the same way as a Punjabi Rajput and a Punjabi Chamar/Dalit.

I also doubt that they were Uzbeks (in the modern sense)... Uzbeks, like many other Central Asian ex-Iranic groups, have been "Mongolized" over time, and you'd easily guess how. :zaka

Nearly all of them.

Greeks?

I think back then there was no difference between "Persian" and "Iranian", that's a modern construction.

For instance "Tajiks" never called themselves "Tajiks". It was their Turkic neighbours who called them like that whereas they preferred (or perhaps still prefer) "Farsi-wan".
There are differences in their language, but as "big" as between different dialects of Punjabi.
Even ethnically they are a bit different but, again, in the same way as a Punjabi Rajput and a Punjabi Chamar/Dalit.

I also doubt that they were Uzbeks (in the modern sense)... Uzbeks, like many other Central Asian ex-Iranic groups, have been "Mongolized" over time, and you'd easily guess how. :zaka

Some how South Asia defendent it self from Mongols.:yk No wonder you can always see hint of mongloid feutures in Uzbeks and Tajiks.

There was no "Greek" back then (but Athens, Sparta, ...), and a lot of the thinkers are from areas such as Sicily or Asia Minor (modern day Turkey, like Thales, the first ever "Greek" philosopher).
Greeks are over-rated because of some cultural myopic attitude, you can find equivalent of their philosophical schools in India (Democritus' atomic theory and Kapila's Samkhya darshana - school of thought - or the Pythagoreans who professed exactly what Hindus knew centuries before wether on mathematics or the nature of the soul, etc)
More than India, I think that if there were textual remains of other civilizations, we would have witnessed the same "genius" all over the Indo European world.

I rate Italians, Germans and British (esp. Scottish) higher.

There was no "Greek" back then (but Athens, Sparta, ...), and a lot of the thinkers are from areas such as Sicily or Asia Minor (modern day Turkey, like Thales, the first ever "Greek" philosopher).
Greeks are over-rated because of some cultural myopic attitude, you can find equivalent of their philosophical schools in India (Democritus' atomic theory and Kapila's Samkhya darshana - school of thought - or the Pythagoreans who professed exactly what Hindus knew centuries before wether on mathematics or the nature of the soul, etc)
More than India, I think that if there were textual remains of other civilizations, we would have witnessed the same "genius" all over the Indo European world.

To be pedantic I'm not sure why you objected to me calling them simply "Greeks". That is what other peoples called them in their own times, is it not?

Also I think you've oversimplified the comparisons. I can understand what you're trying to say and I would rebut if I had ample time, but suffice to say you're selling them short. Going back to the original discussion about the Persian polymaths, we know who they were inspired by mostly, and it was the Greeks.

Lots of Portugese influenced words in Urdu.

almari
chaabi
baalti
istari
padri
tolia
faltu

Theres one more Urdu/Punjabi word I am sure comes from Portugues as well but its kinda vulgar(refers to ones behind)

Last edited:

I don't really get your point. The greeks of asia minor where still comprised into the hellene world, spoke the same language and where overal from the same ethnicities, if with small differnces. Same for the Greeks in sicilia, Syracuse was founded by greek colonisators from the mainland (Corinthe).

Yes, I think that it is born in the fantasies of reza shah to establish similarities with racist european ideologies. Iran, of course, is derived from Aryan and reza shah did take the title of Aryamehr, supposedly to adopt the same title as Cyrus. So, in this case, the Aryan nation was supposed to be going back to the roots of antique persia, leaving no room for what people think is the difference between Iranian and Persian, ie Azeris, arabs,... and barely enough for baluchis.

almari
chaabi
baalti
istari
padri
tolia
faltu

Theres one more Urdu/Punjabi word I am sure comes from Portugues as well but its kinda vulgar(refers to ones behind)

Hope the following is not considered vulgar.

Pesh is front. Aab is water so...

almari
chaabi
baalti
istari
padri
tolia
faltu

Cant believe it, wow.

Just came across this on Twitter:

The word "science" derives from the Latin word "scientia", which means "knowledge."

Found this interesting.

The Hindi/Urdu word Chai (tea) comes from Mandarin China.

Very interesting indeed.

Intelligence derives from intelligere which means to understand.

Also, scientia is derived from sciens, which the present participe for sciere, ie to know.

Last edited:
Dyaus Pitr (Sanskrit) for Father God -> Dyaus became Zeus in Greece and DyuPiter (Jupiter) in Rome.
Dios is still the word used for God all over Europe.

Dieus is related to both dyews (an idea of sky) and deiuos (god), namely "heavenly god" or "god of heaven".

British linguist William Jones was the first to see the relation between all Indo European languages ("Indo European" itself would be used few decades later, by fellow British polymath Thomas Young, William Jones was still in the tripartite Biblical division based on Noah's sons, namely Hamitic/Semitic/Japhetic), and he witnessed that relation when, in Kolkotta (where he founded the famous Asiatic Society and ultimately died), he heard the Sanskrit word "pita" for the first time.

So you can somehow say that word is behind Indo European studies as a whole.

The word "avatar" comes from the Sanskrit word "avataar" (the pronunciation makes the second A after the V a bit silent).

The word "avatar" comes from the Sanskrit word "avataar" (the pronunciation makes the second A after the V a bit silent).

Any idea where the words "Headdies" & "screeny" come from?

Sounds like German to me with some Pakistani touch/flavor! :p

Last edited:
Any idea where the words "Headdies" & "screeny" come from?

Sound like German to me with some Pakistani touch/flavor! :p

Mei´n nahi´n aapse bolta:(....

Mei´n nahi´n aapse bolta:(....

Even after all the "duas" I did for you in Saudi Arabia?

If you think you are good at the emtional black mail, then think again! :p

Even after all the "duas" I did for you in Saudi Arabia?

If you think you are good at the emtional black mail, then think again! :p

So basically, here´s why I hate you: I was about to be awarded the Nobel Prize for being the inventor of those two words, but then you arrived at the wrong time!

So basically, I hate you.....

I knew it .... I knew it.... I knew it.... I knew it .... I knew it.... I knew it.... from day one.... I knew it.... that.... you are an Indian!

Kami-kaze means "wind (kaze) of God (kami)" in Japanese. The Kamikazes were the famous Japanese soldiers launching aerial suicide attacks on American naval forces during WWII, and their title suggest the religious motives behind the act.

Going back further, it refers to the typhoon which saved Japan from Kublai Khan's invasion fleet. Only a few Mongols managed to get ashore, where the samurai mopped them up.

I knew it .... I knew it.... I knew it.... I knew it .... I knew it.... I knew it.... from day one.... I knew it.... that.... you are an Indian!

Shreeman Jeetey 63 aur Haarey 35, aapko mujhe pe kaddah bhi vishwaas nahi´n? Aapka aarop parrh ke mann thorra dukkhit hogya:(.......

The word 'earth' probably comes from the Arabic word "ardh".

The word 'medium' from the Sanskrit word "madhyam". The Urdu word "madh-hosh" should have also been derived from this I feel.

The Urdu word "aadha" (half) comes from the Sanskrit word "ardh".

An interesting quote from Kungfu Panda.

yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."

I find it interesting how there does not exist any exact word for 'bored' and 'credit' in Urdu. For the latter, I have heard the word "shrey" in Hindi.

For those well versed in Hindi, is there any exact word for 'bored' in it?

I find it interesting how there does not exist any exact word for 'bored' and 'credit' in Urdu. For the latter, I have heard the word "shrey" in Hindi.

For those well versed in Hindi, is there any exact word for 'bored' in it?

For Boredom there is a word in hindi called Ubna

For example : Ye gaana sun sunkar Ub chuka hoon main.

For Boredom there is a word in hindi called Ubna

For example : Ye gaana sun sunkar Ub chuka hoon main.

Thanks sir! You get the shrey for helping me out:msd.

Back