Afghanistan (159/6) secure an easy win against New Zealand (75) by 85 runs in ICC T20 World Cup 2024

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
New Zealand will face Afghanistan in the 14th game of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024. New Zealand is a strong contender for the title and will aim to start their campaign strongly. Afghanistan, having defeated Uganda, will look to perform well but has a poor record against New Zealand. Kane Williamson's team, despite not playing warmup games due to key players being involved in the Indian T20 League, and will aim to make a strong start in the tournament and secure their first points.

With one of the strongest squads in the competition, they will be determined to meet high expectations. They will rely on an explosive opening partnership of Devon Conway and Finn Allen, followed by experienced players like Kane Williamson, Daryl Mitchell, and Mark Chapman in the middle order. The team's good finishers, Glenn Phillips, James Neesham, and Mitchell Santner, are expected to contribute in the lower order. The Kiwis side possess a strong bowling attack as well, led by Trent Boult and Tim Southee, with Mitchell Santner and Ish Sodhi utilizing the pitch conditions. Overall, the team's depth in batting and bowling makes them a formidable opponent in the competition.
_20240607_180308.JPG

Squads:

New Zealand
Squad: Williamson (C), Finn Allen, Trent Boult, Michael Bracewell,Mark Chapman, Devon Conway, Lockie Ferguson, Matt Henry, Daryl Mitchell, Jimmy Neesham, Glenn Phillips, Rachin Ravindra, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim South ee

Afghanistan Squad: Rahmanullah Gurbaz (wk), Ibrahim Zadran, Azmatullah Omarzai, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Ishaq, Mohammad Nabi, Gulbadin Naib, Karim Janat, Rashid Khan (c), Nangyal Kharoti, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Fareed Ahmad Malik

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

The numbers favour spin at Guyana not just in this tournament but historically. This is exactly the venue where Afghanistan would want to play NZL.

NZ I'm rooting for ya, But afg have the advantage on this ground sadly

New Zealand have won the toss and have opted to field

New Zealand (Playing XI):
Finn Allen, Devon Conway(w), Kane Williamson(c), Daryl Mitchell, Glenn Phillips, Mark Chapman, Michael Bracewell, Mitchell Santner, Matt Henry, Trent Boult, Lockie Ferguson

Afghanistan (Playing XI): Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Ibrahim Zadran, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Gulbadin Naib, Azmatullah Omarzai, Rashid Khan(c), Karim Janat, Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi

What the hell is NZ wearing? This is the worst outfit I've seen all time

I kept telling people Afghanistan has been a better team then Pakistan for a year. Why have people constantly denied this?

15 runs off the second over vs full strength newzealand hope your watching rizbar

Afghanistan has vast IPL experience. I won't be surprised if they beat NZ. But NZ is a well-rounded side to handle most situations.

The way Afghanistan started seemed like they'll get a lot more but only got 55 without losing a wicket in 10 overs.

NZ despite dropping some catches have kept them quiet after the first 5.

Both teams trying their hardest to make the opposition win, Afghanistan doing everything in their power to get out and slow down rr, MZ doing everything in their power to drop

Nothing to do with ipl - Afghanistan are serious about their cricket and want to improve - unlike their neighbours
It has definitely made them more disciplined in closing out games. Their track r ecord in T20 is very poor.

Afghanistan running between the wickets is top notch. The game awareness is impressive. Both batsmen keep watching the ball until the ball is dead. Any slightest opportunity they take.

Afghanistan is the most improved team since 2023 excluding the big dawgs.

They went from minnow to being a feared mid card level team capable of pulling off upsets against sena. Pakistan was this back in 2017 but those days are over

Usage of powerplay here is important. Timing becomes harder in the later part of the innings.

I don't get it? How does Afghanistan understand the concept of shuffling orders but Pakistan doesn't?

Gurbaz is definitely one of the top 3 opener in Asia. What ball striking. Asian Phil salt

Nothing special about these guys, there’s no leading run scorer called king in the team or superman finisher like chachu who can’t finish a game to save his life…. But look how they play!

Come on Afghans

This is not going to be easy for kiwis.

I have Afghans winning this. Ball is gripping and turning. Afghanistan has Noor Ahmed playing today. Rashid, Noor and Nabi will be very difficult to negotiate on this pitch.

This is not going to be easy for kiwis.

I have Afghans winning this. Ball is gripping and turning. Afghanistan has Noor Ahmed playing today. Rashid, Noor and Nabi will be very difficult to negotiate on this pitch.
So far dew is not affecting. Ball is holding a touch. Not sliding on yet.

Mitchell gone too.

NZ in deep trouble. If they can get KW here, it’s Afg match to lose.

I told yall Afghanistan is the dark horsie of thr tournament

Among the guys. Allen was injured didn't play any games recently. Conway injured. didn't play any games recently. Mitchell is the only one who had some time

If we have WI next, we're crashing out.

Team hasn't played in months and looks lost out there.

Distratious planning from NZC.

I guess if we're going to fail in a WC I'm glad it's this one.

Among the guys. Allen was injured didn't play any games recently. Conway injured. didn't play any games recently. Mitchell is the only one who had some time
I can't remember the last time we looked this bad.

Definitely going to bomb out. Not enough games to find form for players. Maybe should bring in Rachin for Conway/Finn who have had no cricket.

If we have WI next we're crashing out.

Team hasn't played in months and looks lost out there.

Distratious planning from NZC.

I guess if we're going to fail in a WC I'm glad it's this one.
Did you not just have a series with pakistan last month or something?

Lol these players like Kane Williamson should be kicked out from T20s.
What a joke this Kane Williamson is

I can't remember the last time we looked this bad.

Definitely going to bomb out. Not enough games to find form for players. Maybe should bring in Rachin for Conway/Finn who have had no cricket.
These wickets are not going to be suitable for some teams. Look at the pitch.

NZ isn't even making it past group stage. Their worse then Pakistan atm, They look like their holding a cricket bat for the first time

Afghanistan is the new Pakistan of the old - exciting and playing with flair

Lol these players like Kane Williamson should be kicked out from T20s.
What a joke this Kane Williamson is
He is not a T20 player. They should have played Rachin. He is the best player against spin in their side along with Conway.

If nz gets knocked out,I think afg will come to India group and will make life harder for all the teams there

I don't think you will see pitches like this anywhere lol So game time makes no difference. Ball iterally holds.

This is the first game our best team has played together since February lol. Away in a WC match.
This pitch perfectly suits Afghanistan bowling. Only savior would have been dew. Seems like it is not causing any issues.

I don't think you will see pitches like this anywhere lol So game time makes no difference. Ball iterally holds.
Brother you haven't played cricket before have you? Batting time means plenty. Just look at how they team has played. This is a team who hasn't played cricket together in months.

Back